NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1101 to 1150 of 23802)
Page:  « First « Previous   20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

Future i live with a nyc c.o. i asked him about classes goin in.. he said he hasent seen any new recruits in over a year or heard of any classes.. and that there is crazy over time.. so it looks like that freeze is on.. i was told in January that my list that was to go in February 2010 goes in November 2010. i called the investigator and she said my list just got signed off for hiring so it wont be maybe till any other year.. so i would think the freeze is still on.. i wont bother anymore..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jslavick in Utica, New York

52 months ago

@ TRod: So I received my appointment letter a while ago and did not return the letter. The investigator told me that new CO's would be downstate a minimum one year, possibly more. I more or less declined because I didn't want to be stcuk in NYC for 2 years or so. I was fine being down there for a while, but not for an undetermined amount of time. Now, I wonder if I made a mistake,...oh well, life goes on. Nothing I can do now.....Happened for a reason. Your thoughts, anyone?

B-SNAKE in BRONX, New York

52 months ago

My appeals date is next thursday the 14th of oct at 6:30 pm at the academy in albany. t-rod,what should i expect and how long before they give me their decision?

H@@py in New York, New York

52 months ago

@ b-snake

Can you share with us when u received your failing letter? How long after u did 1 on 1 they semd u the letter?

B-SNAKE in Bronx, New York

52 months ago

HELLO H@@PY. I DID MY ONE ON ONE ON JUNE 16TH AND I RECEIVED THE LETTER SAYING I HAD FAILED ABOUT 5 WEEKS LATER. I THEN HAD TO CALL AND REQUEST A APPEALS FORM WICH TOOK THEM ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO SEND IT TO ME AND I FILLED IT OUT AND SENT IT AND I GOT A RESPONSE WITH THE APPEALS DATE ABOUT TWO MONTHS LATER.

52 months ago

has anyone here gotten their first check yet? is anyone else going for an appeals on the 14th of this month?

52 months ago

if anyone here wants to contact me regarding my appeals feel free to contact me at ( bx.snake@yahoo.com)

mars in New York, New York

52 months ago

hay b-snake why do you think you failed?

Bx-snake in Bronx, New York

52 months ago

Hey mars, they didn't give me a reason. The letter only said that I was not sphycologicaly fit. I guess at the appeals they tell you why.

52 months ago

Bx-snake I did my appeals about 11 years ago.. i went to the academy building.. your called in quick.. there will be 2 or 3 men in a confrence room.. they will start to ask you same questions as the psych did.. all 3 of them will switch up on questions.. thats it basicly.. i got my pass decision in 2 weeks.. Dress very professional. head up.. GOOD LUCK.

as per pay 11 years ago come home was 720 after all deductions.. someone in the academy posted abut 3 weeks ago they got 950 with 0 dependents and after all deductions.. i was told they no long take out uniform fee.. only 150 for meal during your time at the academy.. thats the difference from years ago.. so basicly i assume 950 more or less every 2 weeks.. during your time at the academy.

JIM in Albany, New York

52 months ago

Anybody receive or hear of anybody recently getting an Academy date? It has been about 4 weeks since the last group of phone calls went out and now all is very quiet. Good luck to everybody waiting.

bx.snake in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

thanks for the info T-ROD. i will go in slacks and a button down shirt. im going straight there from work so i have noo time to change. i hope all goes well. i need this change in my life.

52 months ago

Bx-SNAKE you goin to be alright ,be honest and pray before you go. all you can do is try your best.

52 months ago

JIM listen out cause there coming soon

motema in Wappingers Falls, New York

52 months ago

I have and still work with psychologial patients all my life, it will be quite something if i fail that psych...boy will i appeal...

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

SO HEY EVERYONE I JUST CAME FROM MY ORIENTATION FOR CITY CORRECTIONS AND IT'S NOT LOOKING TOO GOOD. FOR ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT THE CITY 4 GET IT IT LOOKS LIKE THE FREEZE IS STILL ON. THEY TOLD THE PEOPLE IN THE CLASS THAT THEY NEED C/O BUT CITY ISN'T TELLING THEM THAT THEY CAN DO IT. THEY HAD 3 ORIENTATIONS SO FAR MINE WAS THE 3RD GROUP. ONE OF THE SUPERVISORS EVEN TOLD US THAT ALOT OF C/O ARE GETTING HURT ON RIKERS BC LACK OF C/O'S AND ALSO BC PEOPLE ARE RETIRING. OH YEA AND ONE LAST THING IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A CLASS TO GO IN NOVEMEBER 18TH, 2010 BUT THAT GOT PUSHED BACK TO WHEN---->THEY DON'T KNOW.
JUST THOUGHT I PASS ON THE INFO TO ANY 1 WAITING FOR NYC DOC.

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

LOOKS LIKE IM STAYING WITH THE STATE I DID EVERYTHING BUT 1 ON 1 WHICH IS NEXT WEEK.

52 months ago

hay STARB86 i also took an exam for NYCDOC AND CALLED LAST YEAR TO SEE WHEN THEY WOULD BE CALLING AND I SPOKE TO A SUPERVISOR OF LIST MANAGEMENT AND WAS TOLD THAT THERE ARE OVER 50,000 APPLICANTS ON THE WAITING LIST, HOWEVER MAY 18TH I STARTED MY PROCESS WITH NYSDOC. I COUNTED NYCDOC OUT A LONG TIME AGO BUT STATE IS HIRING VERY QUICKLY.STAY WITH WHO IS GOING TO PAY YOU SOON.

52 months ago

Star i was supposed to go in that November class. obviously im NOT lol.. they told us a month ago.. that class was scheduled for Feb 2010 now nov 2010 now feb 11.. i give up.. if i get that call one day hopefully ill be settled elsewhere.. they are just taking your $35 filing fee.. forget them.. they are not worth it.. i dont understand why they still doing orientation all those hours filling out forms for what..

52 months ago

Star and as you can see state didnt ask you for anything unlike nyc.. thats making you run all around the city for information.. that ends up costing 175 by the time your done..

Peter Da Gr8t in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

You hit the nail on the head T ROD!
Why would they keep testing knowing they aren't really hiring. On top of that they charge you filing fees.
Just doesn't make sense!
I'm thinking of once again going back out of state to get a LE position. At least with out of state organizations there isn't filing fees and if you pass the test and all of the prerequisites they hire you. Very little waiting time between testing and the academy.

BX-SNAKE in New York, New York

52 months ago

THANKS MARS

52 months ago

no problem Bx-SNAKE, this will probably be the one you are actually respected for telling the truth, goodluck and keep us posted

rahk2102 in Putnam Valley, New York

52 months ago

I took the NYS DOCS test 4/09, just got a canvass letter today, exam #25-168, rank # 0726. What does all this mean, I just a number on the list that gets these routine letters, or am I taking this seriously and need to practice for a physical??? is my rank 726? Is there a Female/Male list? I dont want to call them looking like an idiot, but I have no clue what to expect! Thanks!

52 months ago

rahk2102 take it seriously. if you choose to continue you should be recieving a package in about 5-8 weeks to start the process. take it very seriously if this is what you really want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

mars in New York, New York said: rahk2102 take it seriously. if you choose to continue you should be recieving a package in about 5-8 weeks to start the process. take it very seriously if this is what you really want to do.

I appreciate your repoy Mars- I am serious, I just meant I assume Im ranked 726 and didnt really think the odds were in my favor to get a call/interview anytime soon. Why did I receive this letter, Does everyone get it who took the exam? Is there a seperate Male/Female list?

52 months ago

Peter I heard there are no more LE positions.. heard something like that recently????

rahk2102.. male and females took the test together so we are all on that list together.. there is no preference.. we are all on the same boat.. the physical is a joke.. dont worry about that..

52 months ago

rahk.. its telling you you passed a few weeks you should get a letter calling you in for processing i got my 3 months later..

52 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: rahk.. its telling you you passed a few weeks you should get a letter calling you in for processing i got my 3 months later..

Thanks, really appreciate the info. Have to get back into a fitness routine again, what are the requirements... Everyone goes up to albany for this interview? T ROD, where are you in the process?

Nextpimp.. Everywhere in Wappingers Falls, New York

52 months ago

Rick in Fulton, New York said: Has anyone one on list 25-168 receive a canvass letter yet?

Yep!! That'd be me. Got the letter TODAY which is what brought me here LOL... I'm on the ride with YA!!! Scored 90. Good Luck.

52 months ago

i was not trying to be sarcastic rahk2102 just trying to let you know that the canvass letter is the first step in the process, and that if you decided to accept the offer you will be recieving everything you need to complete your process. no there is no seperate list, you recieved this letter because they are interested in you and everyone gets it eventually.

007 in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

Eric in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Yeah i just got my packet today its got a good list of stuff but on another forum i found a list of what a recruit that just graduated says to bring

here is the list:

1. (2) Grey Sweatpants
2. (2) Grey Sweatshirts
3. (2) Grey Sweat-shorts
4. (10) White, crew-neck t-shirts
5. (10) White, regular length socks
6. (5) Black, regular length socks
7. (1) gym/running shoes
8. (1) Danner "Acadia" Boots {already shined up}
9. (1) regular black dress shoes for the suit
10. (1) full suit {white shirts, ties, pants, jacket (all conservative)}
11. Full set of travel sized display items. {soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razor, shaving cream, shampoo)
12. (1) Lint Roller
13. (1) Shoe shining kit (2 tins of black polish, brush, cloth, cotton balls)
14. (2) regular combination locks
15. (1) small combination lock for my luggage
16. (1) Iron
17. (1) Battery operated alarm clock
18. (1) Mini Ironing Board
19. A toiletry bag full of my non-display items used for personal hygiene.
20. (1) roll of "Hem Tape"
21. (1) roll of scotch tape
22. (1) set of 2" stencils
23. (2) "Sharpie" markers
24. (1) cloth laundry bag {blue}
25. (1) Huge duffel bag
26. (2) Pens
27. (4) Pencils
28. (1) Towel
29. (1) Blanket {extra}
30. (7) Underwear
31. Hangers
32. (1) Can of Starch
33. (1) Extra Pillow
34. (1) Ruler

Do you get to leave these things at the academy when you go home on the weekends? I don't have a car and have no idea how I would get those things back and forth if they decided to call me now.

52 months ago

im waiting to get called for the academy so im not really sure all the people on this forum who has went through the academy never talked about what they left or took with them when they would return home on the weekends

52 months ago

hey 007,are you going through the investigation or are you finished and waiting for an academy?

Rick in Fulton, New York

52 months ago

I received an 70 on the NYS Correction Officer List. what are my chances of receiving a canvass letter?

52 months ago

im not sure they don't canvass in order

Future CO in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: Future.. the appeals for city is easy.. but you can retest.. failing the first time doesnt mean you dont re-qualify again... same goes for state.. that was the first question i asked the investigator before i continued the process. I think city c.o test is 35 bucks.

Hey T-Rod, I was planning on going to take the NYC DOCS Test now, so whenever the freeze is up I can transfer over NYS to NYC. Im in the process of state now, I just have my one-on-one left and hopefully that goes well.

Future CO in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

To Anyone who is going through an appeal....Did you have to pay any personal Psych Doctor to re-evaluate you? I remember when I was Going through an appeal for the City, I had to hire my own psych Doctor which cost me $1500 and at the end I was still considered disqualfied! my money went down the drain, I was totally upset!!!

Brian in New York, New York

52 months ago

Future why did you fail?

JT in Utica, New York

52 months ago

I'm taking the upcoming exam on October 16. Assuming I score high enough on it, do you guys have any idea when I'd be called? A neighbor of mine is a CO and says they're hiring like crazy right now and it wouldn't be shocking to hear if people from this exam were contacted soon after. Reading on this forum, I see people who have waited 2 years or more. I hope that's not the case. Another thing, I'm in the process of getting my driver's license (Yes, I never got one and I'm 21 years old. Mainly because I lived in NYC, but now I'm in Upstate NY) so I'm hoping to get that done before I get called for this job.

Last question. After this initial test, what happens after you're called? I've been reading about a Psychological/Medical exam of some sorts? Then comes training at the Academy I'm guessing?

Thanks.

BX.SNAKE in New York, New York

52 months ago

hey JT. after you take the test,if you pass you will be sent a letter telling you to go and take a medical and agility test and right after,the same day you will go to another location not to far from the first one and you will meet with your investigator and the background check will begin,you will be finger printed. you will then go home at the end of the day and you will wait a while. then you will have to go to the academy grounds to take a written psycology test(1500 questions) pay attention to the questions before you answer and remember that the truth is the easiest thing to remember. you will then go home and a few weeks later you will have your one on one with a spycologis. they will ask you some of the same questions from the written test. if you pass your one on one and your backgroung check along with medical and agility you will the wait to get the call for the academy.

topnycdog in Bronx, New York

52 months ago

007 in Brooklyn, New York said: Do you get to leave these things at the academy when you go home on the weekends? I don't have a car and have no idea how I would get those things back and forth if they decided to call me now.

yes you must take everything home with you. you will most likely be in a different room. You must dress business attire every friday and sunday upon leaving and returning. you must carry your bags in, no rolling them in. you are not allowed to changed in to a different outfit in the parking lot. the things in the list that say display is what it is a display, regardless if you use it, must have it to display in closet. Everyone need a suit jacket, men need a tie. the pillow and comforter is so once you make up your bed, you dont need to mess it up, sleep on top on there sheets, and use your comforter. You need a sharpie to write on your white tee shirts. do not bring ankle socks. you need white and black socks. Hem tape and sissors. So unless you get a storage room up there you will need to bring your things home every weekend. And you cant stay on the premise for the weekend. start shining boots now, so they are very shiney.

B-SNAKE in BRONX, New York

52 months ago

topnycdog in Bronx, New York said: yes you must take everything home with you. you will most likely be in a different room. You must dress business attire every friday and sunday upon leaving and returning. you must carry your bags in, no rolling them in. you are not allowed to changed in to a different outfit in the parking lot. the things in the list that say display is what it is a display, regardless if you use it, must have it to display in closet. Everyone need a suit jacket, men need a tie. the pillow and comforter is so once you make up your bed, you dont need to mess it up, sleep on top on there sheets, and use your comforter. You need a sharpie to write on your white tee shirts. do not bring ankle socks. you need white and black socks. Hem tape and sissors. So unless you get a storage room up there you will need to bring your things home every weekend. And you cant stay on the premise for the weekend. start shining boots now, so they are very shiney.

hey topnycdog,did you go to the academy already?

topnycdog in Bronx, New York

52 months ago

B-SNAKE in BRONX, New York said: hey topnycdog,did you go to the academy already?

No I didnt I fail the pysch part. Didnt appeal it, mite try again. But a friend of mines is finishing up her 2nd week, this friday. So I am getting the answer from her as to what it is that you need.

52 months ago

future you dont have to get your own doctor.. like i stated before state appeals you face 3 other doctors unlike city.. which make you spend all that money to disqualify you again .. so unfair.. its crazy.. makes no sense to me.. State has more sense in all the process. unreal with city.. but good idea be on both list.. but you stated transfer over.. they are 2 different agencies there is no transfer.. you have to give up any of ur pension time and start from scratch if you leave to go to another.. they are 2 totally different pay rolls..

52 months ago

There is a bus and car service that stops in front of the academy for anyone who dont have a car.. you will get around.. and most of the time.. those with car will car pool with you..

Hans in Poughkeepsie, New York

52 months ago

Hey Eric,

Did you receive a call from your investigator before receiving your packet of what to bring to the academy?

52 months ago

I just finished taking my one on one on the 25th of september. I hope that I passed. I've never been in any trouble with the law, just minor credit issues. Just worried just incase they call me to the academy I don't have a ride to get back an forth with all of the things that they require you to have.

H@@PY in New York, New York

52 months ago

Damm is true now i am very concern because i dont have a car myself and now i am reading that you need to carry your clothes with you on the weekend wow that is just wow :) forget about car pool ;) we need to get a low budget car of under 2000 lol

I want everyone response i took my 1 on 1 on the 11 of septemeber should i start thinking on buying a used car?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I have been working on getting my license for the past couple of weeks. I'm not too sure but I have been saving just in case. I would also like to know from everyone. Do you need a car to attend the academy?

Page:  « First « Previous   20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.