NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13901 to 13950 of 24618)
Page:  « First « Previous   276  277  278  279  280  281  282  Next »   Last »

SpankVidio in Queens, New York

23 months ago

queens hopeful 25431 in South Ozone Park, New York said: Are we suppose to get all of this into one suitcase??

I bought this big hockey bag from amazon i just got it at work,freaking huge (38x18x18)....from what ive read in the past postings the things that people did not bring in they had a opportunity later on to get whatever items were left behind. But im sure someone will chime in with a better response..I did not get the call but ive purchased items off the list already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Daveh99 in Ballston Spa, New York

23 months ago

Doc in Clifton Park, New York said: ok, I was gonna do a few because I have a long last name and thought it might take me long. But I guess I'll wait.

Just curious, which shirt gets stenciled? The white or gray? I would imagine the gray being it will be the outer shirt. Any insight on this would help. I didn't get the call yet either bit am Anxiously waiting. I got some things off the list as well. Got a 48" black duffle bag at the outlet. Thing is huge.

Steve88 in New York, New York

23 months ago

Daveh99 in Ballston Spa, New York said: Just curious, which shirt gets stenciled? The white or gray? I would imagine the gray being it will be the outer shirt. Any insight on this would help. I didn't get the call yet either bit am Anxiously waiting. I got some things off the list as well. Got a 48" black duffle bag at the outlet. Thing is huge.

That's what she said

Issued1230 in Buffalo, New York

23 months ago

So i'm assuming they haven't hit the 80's yet. Are the 80's ebing predicted to enter in the January class?

Buffalo12 in Batavia, New York

23 months ago

somedieforthisx in Schenectady, New York said: all depends on the jail, I imagine there will be a lot of movement with the early revision , before this class graduates.

What exactly is the revision and how will the affect people trying to get back to wny...?

23 months ago

Steve88 in New York, New York said: That's what she said

lol steve...I set myself up

sq 7 in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

The packet really isn't a big deal. It juwt contains acceptance letter and residence verification. You'll have seen the list if what you should bring.

23 months ago

SpankVidio in Queens, New York said: lol steve...I set myself up

Disregard wrong response

23 months ago

Daveh99 in Ballston Spa, New York said: Just curious, which shirt gets stenciled? The white or gray? I would imagine the gray being it will be the outer shirt. Any insight on this would help. I didn't get the call yet either bit am Anxiously waiting. I got some things off the list as well. Got a 48" black duffle bag at the outlet. Thing is huge.

the greys most likely since the white is your undershirt for the uniform.

Stephypooh in New York, New York

23 months ago

So i take it no cellphones allowed in the academy ?

23 months ago

Stephypooh in New York, New York said: So i take it no cellphones allowed in the academy ?

No nothing in the academy. No cellphones, iPad, iPod. NOTHING!!! Or Your booted out

23 months ago

No Laptops either

gf07 in Elmira, New York

23 months ago

A few answers: you have been able to make multiple trips to your car on the first night, bring the necessities in your first bag and then go back for everything else on the second trip. The academy should run 3 classes at start up, this talk about January is annoying. There should be a sister class starting the following week, followed by a single class 2 weeks after that. With this in mind, the 80's should be starting anytime. You can bring a corded alarm clock as there are 2 outlets on each side of the room(no radio). Grey shirts get stenciled white are for under the uniform and should fit snug, no sleeves showing when uniform is on. You should have a good base shine on your boots prior to going, around 15-25 applications should be a good start, you will have a boot shining party the second night. Bring a window fan, it gets hot as hell in the academy and your door must be closed at night. The revision is where the list to transfer goes from first come to relist by seniority, it will have no affect on new recruits for now. Hope this sheds a lil light on things for you, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daveh99 in Latham, New York

23 months ago

gf07 in Elmira, New York said: A few answers: you have been able to make multiple trips to your car on the first night, bring the necessities in your first bag and then go back for everything else on the second trip. The academy should run 3 classes at start up, this talk about January is annoying. There should be a sister class starting the following week, followed by a single class 2 weeks after that. With this in mind, the 80's should be starting anytime. You can bring a corded alarm clock as there are 2 outlets on each side of the room(no radio). Grey shirts get stenciled white are for under the uniform and should fit snug, no sleeves showing when uniform is on. You should have a good base shine on your boots prior to going, around 15-25 applications should be a good start, you will have a boot shining party the second night. Bring a window fan, it gets hot as hell in the academy and your door must be closed at night. The revision is where the list to transfer goes from first come to relist by seniority, it will have no affect on new recruits for now. Hope this sheds a lil light on things for you, good luck.

Very helpful info. Thanks for taking the time to address.

queens hopeful 25341 in South Ozone Park, New York

23 months ago

SpankVidio in Queens, New York said: I bought this big hockey bag from amazon i just got it at work,freaking huge (38x18x18)....from what ive read in the past postings the things that people did not bring in they had a opportunity later on to get whatever items were left behind. But im sure someone will chime in with a better response..I did not get the call but ive purchased items off the list already.

Ok thanks

queens hopeful 25341 in South Ozone Park, New York

23 months ago

sq 7 in Brooklyn, New York said: No nothing in the academy. No cellphones, iPad, iPod. NOTHING!!! Or Your booted out

I heard u can have a phone but u can check it in an out for use

23 months ago

queens hopeful 25341 in South Ozone Park, New York said: I heard u can have a phone but u can check it in an out for use

Or leave it in your car out of sight

queens hopeful 25431 in South Ozone Park, New York

23 months ago

SpankVidio in Queens, New York said: Or leave it in your car out of sight

Unfortunately i dont have a car so im going to have to figure that out

Andrew31286 in Yorkville, New York

23 months ago

gf07 in Elmira, New York said: A few answers: you have been able to make multiple trips to your car on the first night, bring the necessities in your first bag and then go back for everything else on the second trip. The academy should run 3 classes at start up, this talk about January is annoying. There should be a sister class starting the following week, followed by a single class 2 weeks after that. With this in mind, the 80's should be starting anytime. You can bring a corded alarm clock as there are 2 outlets on each side of the room(no radio). Grey shirts get stenciled white are for under the uniform and should fit snug, no sleeves showing when uniform is on. You should have a good base shine on your boots prior to going, around 15-25 applications should be a good start, you will have a boot shining party the second night. Bring a window fan, it gets hot as hell in the academy and your door must be closed at night. The revision is where the list to transfer goes from first come to relist by seniority, it will have no affect on new recruits for now. Hope this sheds a lil light on things for you, good luck.

Do you think they will hit 75s this year did my 1on1 end of may

hmm in Clifton Park, New York

23 months ago

I dont have a front plate on my car, do u think that will be an issue at the academy? I heard that in NY you dont need to have one in front anymore is that true?

Bigbuckman in Utica, New York

23 months ago

Anyone know last page bso list is on or could repost the link . Much apriciated thanks

Daheights in New York, New York

23 months ago

I received the acceptance letter today. There are a 3 pages that must be signed and faxed before Sept. 3rd at 8:00. Failure to send the letter before the mentioned date and time will be looked as a declination of appointment.

23 months ago

Bigbuckman in Utica, New York said: Anyone know last page bso list is on or could repost the link . Much apriciated thanks

BSO Updated as of 8/8/2013

1. (3) Grey Sweatpants
2. (3) Grey Sweatshirts
3. (3) Grey Sweat-shorts
4. (5)) White, crew-neck t-shirts
5. (10) White, crew length socks
6. (5) Black, crew length socks
7. (1) gym/running shoes
8. (1) Police/Military Boots (any Shine-able) {already shined up}
9. (1) regular black dress shoes for the suit
10. (1) full suit (white shirt, tie, slacks, jacket) {all conservative}
11. Full set of travel sized display items. (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razor, shaving cream, shampoo)
12. (1) Lint Roller
13. (1) Shoe shining kit (2 large tins of black polish, brush, cloth, cotton balls)
14. (2) regular combination locks
15. (1) small combination lock for your luggage
16. (1) Iron
17. (1) Battery operated alarm clock
18. (1) Small plug in fan (Summer Sessions)
19. A toiletry bag full of regular, non-display items used for personal hygiene.
20. (1) roll of "Hem Tape"
21. (1) roll of scotch tape
22. (1) set of 2" stencils (gothic style) <-- ( Google that) available at Walmart or Staples
23. (6) "Sharpie" markers
24. (1) cloth laundry bag
25. (1) Huge duffel bag
26. (2) Black Pens
27. (4) Pencils
28. (1) Towel
29. (1) Blanket (extra, so you don't "undo" your bed every night)
30. (7) Underwear
31. Hangers
32. (1) Can of Starch
33. (1) Extra Pillow
34. (1) Ruler
35. (1) Small pair of Scissors.
36. (1) Set of Earplugs (in case you have a snorer in the room)
37. (1) Butane Lighter or Blow Dryer for boot shining
38. (1) Shower Sandals (the cheap ones)
39. (5) Plain grey crew-neck t-shirts

Thanks to its creater BSO (This list should be the standard foreal)

Daheights in New York, New York

23 months ago

queens hopeful 25431 in South Ozone Park, New York said: Unfortunately i dont have a car so im going to have to figure that out

The letter I received today states that people with personal vehicles MUST leave their cellphone in their vehicles and People that don't will have to check/secure it in lockers at the entrance.

23 months ago

Daheights in New York, New York said: The letter I received today states that people with personal vehicles MUST leave their cellphone in their vehicles and People that don't will have to check/secure it in lockers at the entrance.

Thanks still wating on my packet

gf07 in Elmira, New York

23 months ago

Andrew31286 in Yorkville, New York said: Do you think they will hit 75s this year did my 1on1 end of may

Hard to say. The shut down allowed the BI's to get caught up a lil more and allowed more time for the people missing things, time to get them in. As the list gets to the 75 and 70's, it seems like fewer people either pass the background or want the job. If you looked at the 168 list, not listed anymore, you would have noticed that they were going through 4-5 pages for one class. There is no way to put a time frame on things, you just need to be prepared. The way that civil service works, if you passed the test (70 or above) and pass the background and psychological, you will be hired.

upstateNY in Elmira, New York

23 months ago

I did my one on one on August 16th, but should have been alot sooner considering they mailed my packet back in September of 2012 , but to the wrong address. Called to see what was taking so long and an investigator had told me to fax a letter to say im still interested and got the ball rolling. I would have been in the academy back in May if i hadit already , but got all done now so its a waiting game. Hopefully soon. How many academies are approved for the remainder of this year? Congrats to all who got the call and good luck. My father told me quite a bit considering he retired from Elmira Correctional Facility " the HILL". Should have done this about 14 years ago . Im 35 now but still young and cant wait.

Justincud in Buffalo, New York

23 months ago

Buffalo12 in Batavia, New York said: Any idea how movement will be over the next few months? My numbers are in the low 30's to get back to wny.

Guys getting into Albion facility on the job less than a year had a friend tell that works at Albion

KANCERII in West Harrison, New York

23 months ago

upstateNY in Elmira, New York said: I did my one on one on August 16th, but should have been alot sooner considering they mailed my packet back in September of 2012 , but to the wrong address. Called to see what was taking so long and an investigator had told me to fax a letter to say im still interested and got the ball rolling. I would have been in the academy back in May if i hadit already , but got all done now so its a waiting game. Hopefully soon. How many academies are approved for the remainder of this year? Congrats to all who got the call and good luck. My father told me quite a bit considering he retired from Elmira Correctional Facility " the HILL". Should have done this about 14 years ago . Im 35 now but still young and cant wait.

I'm 36, scored 80, had my 1 on 1 in April and can't wait to get the call. I have a bunch of friends that are NYS CO's and a relative that works in OMH. This is te only civil service test I've taken since its the only test that would allow me to wear my hearing aid. My fingers are crossed and trying my hardest not to focus on the wait.

23 months ago

How thick should the blanket be since we should bring 2

Secondchance in Levittown, New York

23 months ago

queens hopeful 25431 in South Ozone Park, New York said: How thick should the blanket be since we should bring 2

The Academy is very warm. Take only 1 small blanket and you really don't need an extra pillow

somedieforthisx in Schenectady, New York

23 months ago

Secondchance in Levittown, New York said: The Academy is very warm. Take only 1 small blanket and you really don't need an extra pillow

extra sheets are better because its so hot, my extra pillow was awesome!

somedieforthisx in Schenectady, New York

23 months ago

i put an extra sheet over my made bed so i didnt mess it up and used a sheet or my sleeping bag for cover.

Do not take extra sheets from the academy, they got upset when we did it.

Its very warm in the academy, I had a box fan for the window and a small fan for personal use. Extension cords help too

23 months ago

Guys BSO's list is what you will need but if I may suggest the following plus a few other tips,

Besides the toiletry display items you also need for display, 2 pair of black socks, 2 pairs of underwear and 2 white t-shirts.

Remember NO RAZORS for display.

Get your white t-shirts a size smaller. Your t-shirt sleeves cannot hang down lower than your uniform sleeves, When wearing the short sleeve uniform shirt.

A small travel iron with steam is good, a regular size iron is better. WITH SYEAM

You will need a note book. One that the pages can be removed and added into your binder.

For your binder you will need subject dividers, Enough for 8 subjects.

Remember you need to carry your bags, no wheeled bags inside the academy.

You will need about 10 hangers, get ones that the hook swivels. You hang a towel and pt gear on your bed they hang flat that way.

While wearing your uniform or suit ALWAYS carry a pen.

When you hang your suit and display uniform they have to be hung up as if you were wearing them. Buttons buttoned zippers zipped, tie on the shirt. pocket buttons also.

At some point you will get 4 cards with your name on them. don't forget to take them home and back again. Staples has similar paper. make copies. I lost 1 and used a copy, they never knew.

Bring 5 Hour energy drinks. DON'T FALL ASLEEP DURING A CLASS. The instructor will tell your drill and you will get caped.

JRFA in Orchard Park, New York

23 months ago

Secondchance in Levittown, New York said: Guys BSO's list is what you will need but if I may suggest the following plus a few other tips,

Besides the toiletry display items you also need for display, 2 pair of black socks, 2 pairs of underwear and 2 white t-shirts.

Remember NO RAZORS for display.

Get your white t-shirts a size smaller. Your t-shirt sleeves cannot hang down lower than your uniform sleeves, When wearing the short sleeve uniform shirt.

A small travel iron with steam is good, a regular size iron is better. WITH SYEAM

You will need a note book. One that the pages can be removed and added into your binder.

For your binder you will need subject dividers, Enough for 8 subjects.

Remember you need to carry your bags, no wheeled bags inside the academy.

You will need about 10 hangers, get ones that the hook swivels. You hang a towel and pt gear on your bed they hang flat that way.

While wearing your uniform or suit ALWAYS carry a pen.

When you hang your suit and display uniform they have to be hung up as if you were wearing them. Buttons buttoned zippers zipped, tie on the shirt. pocket buttons also.

At some point you will get 4 cards with your name on them. don't forget to take them home and back again. Staples has similar paper. make copies. I lost 1 and used a copy, they never knew.

Bring 5 Hour energy drinks. DON'T FALL ASLEEP DURING A CLASS. The instructor will tell your drill and you will get caped.

Awesome info!!! I know that getting caped is bad, but what exactly is it? Thanks!

23 months ago

JRFA in Orchard Park, New York said: Awesome info!!! I know that getting caped is bad, but what exactly is it? Thanks!

Correction Action through Physical Exercise. CAPED.

23 months ago

How thick should the blanket be since we should bring 2

23 months ago

queens hopeful 25431 in South Ozone Park, New York said: How thick should the blanket be since we should bring 2

Disregard mistake post

23 months ago

My suitcase is light pink is that gonna be a problem don't want unnecessary attention

Clicky in Middletown, New York

23 months ago

How long is pt everyday?

23 months ago

Clicky in Middletown, New York said: How long is pt everyday?

It feels like forever, its only 1hr to 1hr15mins

Steelieboyrookie in Valley stream, New York

23 months ago

I did my 1on1 June 28,got a 70,do you think I will get a call this year,or probably next year,the last time I spoke to my BI,he told me he could not give me an update.

Justincud in Buffalo, New York

23 months ago

BSOdeputy- in Saugerties, New York said: Got word that three classes have been approved. The first one obviously starts on 9/8/13.

Awesome !!!!

Daveh99 in Ballston Spa, New York

23 months ago

BSOdeputy- in Saugerties, New York said: Got word that three classes have been approved. The first one obviously starts on 9/8/13.

Any idea of the upcoming dates?

Sofialuv1 in Hudson, New York

23 months ago

KANCERII in West Harrison, New York said: I'm 36, scored 80, had my 1 on 1 in April and can't wait to get the call. I have a bunch of friends that are NYS CO's and a relative that works in OMH. This is te only civil service test I've taken since its the only test that would allow me to wear my hearing aid. My fingers are crossed and trying my hardest not to focus on the wait.

Were you at the March 7th interview and physical????

Buffalo12 in Batavia, New York

23 months ago

How will the revision affect the people trying to get back to wny?

OTJ in Goshen, New York

23 months ago

BSOdeputy- in Saugerties, New York said: Just be prepared to be on the road for 1 to 4 years. If it's one year, great but I know plenty of people that have been on the road for four years or longer.

Not to mention the people waiting to get to the Watertown Hub with 8+ years!

KANCERII in West Harrison, New York

23 months ago

Sofialuv1 in Hudson, New York said: Were you at the March 7th interview and physical????

I think so. It was pretty discouraging when I saw the amount of candidates in the line to get in. I thought "how could there be enough slots".

ANONYMOUS in Buffalo, New York

23 months ago

BSOdeputy- in Saugerties, New York said: If I were to guess, they would be two weeks apart starting on 9/8. Again, that is just me speculating but probably what will happen.

They were going classes back to back and one 3-4 weeks later.

As for movement mentioned to WNY. Guys were getting to 5 points 2 months off of OJT. Willard was a little longer but not much. With the shutdown of those facilities lurking I'd expect a delay to get there. Still Groveland, Livingston wait is probably 8 months max if they run the academy straight thru the end of the fiscal year. Albion, Orleans i'd say you'd be there by your seniority date. Wyoming, Attica, about 15 months. Wende you'll be waiting longer.

Anthony in New York, New York

23 months ago

Hello everyone I am new to this. TY for all this great information. I to am awaiting a call from my BI as far as attending the academy. Two questions:

1.) What is this page thing many are referring to? i.e I am on page 6...Where can I find that and what is that all about?
2.) Not trying to beat a dead horse but here it is. I have been exercising plenty for several months now and not where I want ot be but def better then before. I am not good with push-ups. I struggle alot with them. What do you recommend? Thank you.

Page:  « First « Previous   276  277  278  279  280  281  282  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.