NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 31210)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

and yes i am into myself.. thats because i can back it up!!!! do you have a pet name for your "one of those" lolmao.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

ok we takin this forum out of context..... back to the anxious angel.. lol... i hope you get that call tonite..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

"actually pretty happy" for someone who said that nothing good ever happens to him. ummm im not convinced lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angel921 in Yonkers, New York

75 months ago

Woahhhh... I didnt say nothing out of context.. lol

If I can see clearly, u began it about 10 posts back... there was no stopping u.. so I let u rock...lmaoo

Yesss lets get back on subject, good luck to u... and i aint holdin my breath for a call for atleast the next couple months. ill keep u posted

75 months ago

I meant job wise... every other aspect is just fine

75 months ago

Wooahhh correction "I" took this forum out of context cough cough.. ok Angel did that bend you back into shape lol.. yes please please keep us posted.. seriously.. lol

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

@ TROD

Im also in park slope brooklyn what a small world

75 months ago

@ cgaz lol oh man i hope i dont know you lol.. good thats means u driving if we go upstate lol.. i hate driving..

75 months ago

when did you take the test ??????

75 months ago

April 2009

75 months ago

I took the spanish.. out of 3500 who took the exam only 130 are on the spanish list..

jslavick in Cortland, New York

75 months ago

angel - I took the medical / agility on March 16, 2010, then the written psych on April 10, 2010. I met the psychologist on May 8,2010. The psychologist said that if I didn't hear in 1 to 2 months, call my investigator. And like I said, I haven't heard anything, which I hope is a good thing.

Now, like everyone else, I'm anxious and this job would do wonders for us financially, etc. Not "making" it, would be a major let down. I felt really good when I met the psych, we laughed a little bit, and he seemed very nice....

P.S. You guys crack me up with some of your posts. I pray we all make it and meet. I'd be like a dysfunctional family reunion...LOL.

75 months ago

@trod

WHen did you take the 1 on 1 psych ?

75 months ago

Dysfunctional??? umm the only bad apple in this bunch is ayyy let me stop lmaoo.. jslavick.. did u say financial.. im starting to collect cans if i get on.. that starting salary im gonnna have to rent out my kids room lol.. maybe in 5 years financially we will be ok.. but at first it looks like P&J sandwiches for the first month........... lol.. jokin jokin.. yeah WE ARE FAMILY!!

75 months ago

@ jslavick

I called my B.I. and she told me that its going to take 6-8 months to hear anything and like i said its already been 2months ..

75 months ago

@jalavick
This whole process is a long wait... for everyone. I hear ya tho on the financial aspect, Im sure everyone is thinking the same thing. Its tough out there now a days, especially for ones like us with children and families to support. If its meant to be it'll happen.

@ Trod
Hope u weren't referring to me as the "bad apple"...we were all just having some fun earlier...

75 months ago

@ Trod
Hope u weren't referring to me as the "bad apple"...we were all just having some fun earlier...

@ Angel... your getting sensitive again???? i wasent referring to anyone i was as you keep putting it "JOKING"... if we jokin why you keeping it to question..

75 months ago

I was "JOKING" about my entire comment geezzzz.. and your not sensitive yeah okay...

75 months ago

Did you believe that i am gonna start collecting cans to????

75 months ago

Fist off No ones sensitive u just got alotta mouth on u.. u need to learn to control that or that things gonna get u in alota trouble as a CO... now thats something u need to keep in mind... if u like to "JOKE" so much maybe u picked the wrong career path... being a "comedian" is probably best for u

Have a good one TROD...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Im didnt sign up to these forums to argue wit no one... im on here to go through the process like EVERYONE else and to get as much information as I possibly can

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Soon Enuff in Westchester, New York

75 months ago

Anyone took test 25104? If so, how far along have you gotten in the process?

75 months ago

lmao Angel.. your giving me advice on this job???.. trust me only a fool will take a jokin attitude into a prison job so no thanx on the advice.. your the one that took a small joke personal MY BAD!!!.. I work with inmates now in a hospital/mental health setting in Queens your the last person that can give me advice.. now look at the big picture i didnt call u dysfunctional at no point and u questioned me.. in fact jslavick did he used the term refering to all of us and he followed with "P.S. You guys crack me up with some of your posts." im glad some can joke unlike you..
If i can judge on the simple things we all say on here.. you will be one of those c.o's that an immate will analyse then within days then rip u.. they know how to read c.o's and figure out who they can push.. trust me I see it happen here all the time..

@jslavick see what u started shame on you lmaooooooo

On this note im done with this conversation!!

75 months ago

Its called havin a sense of humor something u dont have.. not wanting to be a comedian..

ally123 in East Syracuse, New York

75 months ago

Ali in New York, New York said: Does anyone know if or when the next NYSDOC 8 week academy training is and how long before your eligibility expires?

my friend just graduated from the academy and well at the ceramony there were guys who are going into the academy in June. It took my friend almost 3 years to get in. The guys that were going in June scored like 80. Good luck to all!!!

75 months ago

Im not giving u advice.. i was just making a statement that u got alotta mouth and its gonna get in in trouble one day. Ur on these forums for the wrong reason. Good for u and ur job... and good luck on any other job u may have in the future that involves dealing with people. U got a right to ur own opinions as do I.. and "I" feel its not ur place to sit here and judge other people about comments they post.

My sense of humor is just fine... I just dont think ur funny..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Hey everyone I am new to the site. I just got my letter on sat that says that I got an interview next month at the ending of June and will consist of two parts medical/agility examinations and a background check. They stated that I have to be there at 7:30 am, what should I expect am I going to be there all day, when are the remaining academies for this year, and also I live in Brooklyn, NY and the academy is upstate, NY do they give you a place to stay when you do the academy or do you just have to pay for a hotel for the two months of the academy?

I would really appreciate someone answering these questions for me THANKS!!

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

75 months ago

Guys, I apologize if the "dysfunctional" comment offended anyone, that certainly was not my intention whatsoever. I was hoping you'd all find it amusing. After all, we are all anxious to get in, but we all need to be cool and easy, afterall we may be working together and will need one another when the time comes. Remember, it would not surprise me if "big brother" is watching these forums.

75 months ago

@ jslavick

Trust me bro u didnt offend me.. what I was saying earlier had nothing to do with anything you said. I signed up to the forum to meet people in the same boat as me, not to fight wit anyone about childish crap. I am to grown and I got NOOOO time for it!!
Good luck wit ur process jslavick... ill be in touch wit any news I may recieve.

75 months ago

@Starb86

Hey for the day of your medical/agility get there at like 7am there will be people there already trust , and you will be at the first location until about 10am and then you got to go to another building its like a 10 minute drive . But i think i was up there until about 1 pm and its all easy stuff . Your going to meet your investigator. And as far as the academy i think we stay in barracks . Good luck and if you need any advise come to this forum it will help you ..

@Trod and Angel

come on guys lets stay together were all going to be a one family (work wise ) soon lets not get torn before hand ..

75 months ago

jslavick i found it very amusing lololol my way of living when im anxious is to joke around.. but i wont ever put anyone down or degrade anyone unlike angel thought i was when i made the dysfunctional comment.. but obviously Angel took the joke to heart imagine if i would joke the way i could if we were face to face.. Angel no one is fighting with u at all.. trust i can back my mouth up anytime.. u think im all mouth immagine how big an immates mouth is.. I would lov to be that fly on the wall when that moment comes to you.. when GOD willing u make it in.. so jslavick as u said cool and easy.. : ) I wasent funny but u reacted right along... but obviously i took ur words as jokin but my bad u was serious.. soorry if i got the insecurity in u.. Im 39 far from a fool.. i know when and where to use my mouth.. trust me i wont ever put myself in any trouble.. because of my mouth never have never will.. you takin what ppl say wrong is gonna get you in trouble.. PEACE!!

75 months ago

cgaz.. i was jokin.. but hey lol ok ok i had enough.. this is like a cat playin with a mouse.. this kitty is not gonna stop playing till the mouse stops moving lol but then again it can get boring so kitty gives up lmao..

TROD in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

cgaz23 if i meet anyone here i wont tell who i am until after the academy lol.

75 months ago

STARB86 they put you up.. The academy where they place people is the same building where you take the writtin psychological.. the rooms are upstairs.. i did it 10 years ago.. 3 weeks into the academy i was pregnant so had to leave.. if the rooms are full they put u in hotels.. which is best because they have cleanin ppl unlike at the academy where u gotta do everything.. The first week your not allowed to leave the building which sucks if ur a picky eater like me.. after that week ppl go hang out outside the building.. i ate 2 burgers when they let us go home that friday lol.. where in Brooklyn.. im in park slope.. GOOD LOOK..

75 months ago

@Cgaz

Im good i got no hard feelings towards anyone... were all here for the same reason. Im definatly not gonna bicker with a 40 year old woman over nonsense no more. Ill have enough of that stuff to deal with when and if I get that call... gotta save my energy for something thats actually worth it...ya feel me

jslavick in Cortland, New York

75 months ago

Ok, so I called my BI and asked about the timeline thing, etc. etc. He said I should hear about the psychologists decision in about a month from my interview date. I also asked him how many academy classes were going through and he said he didn't know. The good news is, is that he doesn't need anything from me. I'm going to take a poke and say that my background check should be good to go, though he hasn't said that.... I'll keep you posted. I unfortunately scored only a 70 on the test as I had 2 hours sleep prior to that test. I was out at a house fire the night before (volunteer firefighter / EMT). So hopefully soon, they gotta get to the bottom sooner or later....LOL.
Seriously: Hang in there everyone, we'll all get through it. Lean on each other for advice or whatever you need, we'll all be there soon. IT WILL BE WORTH IT. That's what my wife says....

75 months ago

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ~ LOL.. JSLAVICK your wife couldnt have said it any better.. lol @ hopefully soon, they will get to the bottom sooner or later.. thats the spirt : D I say i hope i get that call on a very boring long day.. then ill have something to be excited about.. when i least expect it lol

Chai in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Hello,

I am going to take my test this week for NYS Correction Officer. Assuming that i will pass does anybody know the hours or days of the Corrections Academy. I work a fulltime Job Mon-Fri and i wasn't thinking of quitting anytime soon knowing that the call back for the Corrections would take a while by what everyone is saying. I don't want to put myself in a situation where when academy time comes i can't make time for it. I kinda wanted to fit both in my schedule if possible.

75 months ago

Chai. are you take state or city?? if its state sorry to inform you but you go away for that (Albany).. the schedule is monday thur friday.. you report at 5am monday and get dismissed fridays at 330 - 4....

75 months ago

and you cannot have another job once you take on.. it is mandatory that you quit your job before you get sworn in.. that goes for city corrections as well.. after you graduate and want to take on a second job you must request permission by the c.o board..

75 months ago

and you cannot have another job once you take on.. it is mandatory that you quit your job before you get sworn in.. that goes for city corrections as well.. after you graduate and want to take on a second job you must request permission by the c.o board..

75 months ago

Thanks for the info Trod. Also im taking the test for City so would i have to go upstate for that too and im assuming its Mon-Fri too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Chai. no city is different.. its in Queens Monday - Friday you go in at 6:30am and dismissed at 4 everyday.. I did my process with them.. but they have a freeze right now.. Best part about city is that they give u the one on one psycholigal first before you meet ur investigator and do all that paper work..

75 months ago

lol okay thank you so much, you've been so helpful i guess i should obviously think about it some more. Okay my last question plz don't kill me i see you rolling your eyes lol. How many weeks is the academy training for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

lol.. no eye rolll here.. City is 12 weeks.. last 6 weeks are in rikers.. yeah its very demanding at first.. but i think about my pension in 20 years.. my kids dont have to take care of me.. so its worth the sacrifice.. thats my focus.. : )

Ruins of a Society in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

For those who are seeking a career in NYS Dept. of Corrections, NYC or any other Corrections Department in the US, you must get the new book, "Ruins of a Society and the Honorable," by Al Bermudez Pereira.

As mentioned on WBAI, 99.5 FM, by Mike Levine, who is the most highly decorated DEA Agent in US history, "A Prison Story/Autobiography like you have never read."

This book just recently won a Literary Award for 2009 Best Autobiography by the Multicultural Literature Advocacy Group in Alabama.

And if you're going to NYS Corrections, chances are you will be going to Sing Sing Prison before transferring to any other facility and this book breaks Sing Sing down in policy, procedures, common practices and corruption.

You can go and purchase it at: RuinsOfaSociety.com, or Amazon.com, believe me, you will, "NOT" regret it.

75 months ago

Taking under consideration that there are no state budget delays or any other unforeseen circumstance, NYS Dept of Correctional Services Academy usually run from April to July, August to November, December to March. You will remain at the academy and able to go home only on weekends.

If you're from NYC region, you will have a heck of a travel, same applies to those from Buffalo and any other far away location. The main academy is in Albany, NY. You will usually arrive on a Sunday and be greeted by a Sergeant and/or Lieutenant and Instructors.

The firearms you will train with are the .38 Smith and Wesson, AR-15 Rifle, 12 GA. Remington Shotgun and 201 Federal Gas Gun. Although you are not limited in what you carry off duty, you must familiarize yourself with your off duty weapon if you chose to carry a weapon other then a .38 Smith Wesson Revolver.

Bottom line is, you train with a 38, and if you're involved in an off duty incident with 9 mm or any other weapon outside a 38, you must show you're knowledgeable with that weapon. So train with it, familiarize yourself with it or the courts and prosecutors will have a field day with you, and you could quite possibly, not only lose your job, but be subjected to a federal lawsuit.

Always remember, NYS will have your back when you use a 38, they may even help you if you use another weapon, but only if you're knowledgeable of that weapon.

The new book, Ruins of a Society and the Honorable, by retired NYS Correction Officer Al Bermudez Pereira, is the book to get. This book will teach you much and open your eyes to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Chai in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello,

I am going to take my test this week for NYS Correction Officer. Assuming that i will pass does anybody know the hours or days of the Corrections Academy. I work a fulltime Job Mon-Fri and i wasn't thinking of quitting anytime soon knowing that the call back for the Corrections would take a while by what everyone is saying. I don't want to put myself in a situation where when academy time comes i can't make time for it. I kinda wanted to fit both in my schedule if possible.

Taking under consideration that there are no state budget delays or any other unforeseen circumstance, NYS Dept of Correctional Services Academy usually run from April to July, August to November, December to March. You will remain at the academy and able to go home only on weekends.

If you're from NYC region, you will have a heck of a travel, same applies to those from Buffalo and any other far away location. The main academy is in Albany, NY. You will usually arrive on a Sunday and be greeted by a Sergeant and/or Lieutenant and Instructors.

The firearms you will train with are the .38 Smith and Wesson, AR-15 Rifle, 12 GA. Remington Shotgun and 201 Federal Gas Gun. Although you are not limited in what you carry off duty, you must familiarize yourself with your off duty weapon if you chose to carry a weapon other then a .38 Smith Wesson Revolver.

Bottom line is, you train with a 38, and if you're involved in an off duty incident with 9 mm or any other weapon outside a 38, you must show you're knowledgeable with that weapon. So train with it, familiarize yourself with it or the courts and prosecutors will have a field day with you, and you could quite possibly, not only lose your job, but be subjected to a federal lawsuit.

Always remember, NYS will have your back when you use a 38, they may even help you if you use another weapon, but only if you're knowledgeable of that weapon.

The new book, Ruins of a Society and th

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

mbarclay in Canton, New York said: I know the academy is mon-fri. does anyone know what the pay is while your in the academy?

Correction Officer Trainee (First 26 Weeks) $36,420
Correction Officer Trainee (Final 26 Weeks) $38,310

RuinsOfaSociety.com

75 months ago

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York said: @Starb86

Hey for the day of your medical/agility get there at like 7am there will be people there already trust , and you will be at the first location until about 10am and then you got to go to another building its like a 10 minute drive . But i think i was up there until about 1 pm and its all easy stuff . Your going to meet your investigator. And as far as the academy i think we stay in barracks . Good luck and if you need any advise come to this forum it will help you ..

@Trod and Angel

come on guys lets stay together were all going to be a one family (work wise ) soon lets not get torn before hand ..

For those who are seeking a career in NYS Dept. of Corrections, NYC or any other Corrections Department in the US, you must get the new book, "Ruins of a Society and the Honorable," by Al Bermudez Pereira.

As mentioned on WBAI, 99.5 FM, by Mike Levine, who is the most highly decorated DEA Agent in US history, "A Prison Story/Autobiography like you have never read."

This book just recently won a Literary Award for 2009 Best Autobiography by the Multicultural Literature Advocacy Group in Alabama.

And if you're going to NYS Corrections, chances are you will be going to Sing Sing Prison before transferring to any other facility and this book breaks Sing Sing down in policy, procedures, common practices and corruption.

You can go and purchase it at: RuinsOfaSociety.com, or Amazon.com, believe me, you will, "NOT" regret it.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.