NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2051 to 2100 of 30640)
Page:  « First « Previous   39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next »   Last »

John in Harrison, New York

65 months ago

Does anyone know the pay scale and/or pay increase steps (after starting full salary)for nysdoc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Clifton Park, New York

64 months ago

John in Harrison, New York said: Does anyone know the pay scale and/or pay increase steps (after starting full salary)for nysdoc?

The starting salary is $36,420. After 6 months you go to $38,310. Then finally when you reach a year your salary will be $43,867.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marie43 in South Richmond Hill, New York

64 months ago

I wish I could turn back time ! I am out of the running . My testing date has expired after 3 years . All that I did for nothing , I guess I have sour grapes . I started the process in april of 2010 .

Joe in Wilmington, Delaware

64 months ago

marie43 in South Richmond Hill, New York said: I wish I could turn back time ! I am out of the running . My testing date has expired after 3 years . All that I did for nothing , I guess I have sour grapes . I started the process in april of 2010 .

Don't feel bad. I've been taking test for years. Driving to different states, paying for tests, hotel rooms, driving 100 plus miles one way to take tests and interviews. I was activated by nj doc before this last list expired. I took a job with Delaware DOC a year ago and was surprised to hear from nj. I was excited to be able to move back home and get a big pay increase and they never even called me for an interview or sent a letter after I was processd. This is with experience and a bachelors degree. For this career you have to take more than one test to get in somewhere. Just try applying to different places. I've been doing it for years. If this is what you want to do keep moving forward and trying different states and departments. I learned the hard way taking the test in nj 3 times with no luck.

marie43 in South Richmond Hill, New York

64 months ago

Joe in Wilmington, Delaware said: Don't feel bad. I've been taking test for years. Driving to different states, paying for tests, hotel rooms, driving 100 plus miles one way to take tests and interviews. I was activated by nj doc before this last list expired. I took a job with Delaware DOC a year ago and was surprised to hear from nj. I was excited to be able to move back home and get a big pay increase and they never even called me for an interview or sent a letter after I was processd. This is with experience and a bachelors degree. For this career you have to take more than one test to get in somewhere. Just try applying to different places. I've been doing it for years. If this is what you want to do keep moving forward and trying different states and departments. I learned the hard way taking the test in nj 3 times with no luck.

Thanks I appreciate those words of encouragement . I will look in to other tests and states
. Happy new year

sonia in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Thanks...i went n it was ok...they only sent one knuckle head home...alot of paper work...they didnot asign an ivestigator yet, do u know about how long it takes before they call u? Also we have to get a detail earning statement with all our jobs, do they really call all ur jobs since i was in H.S...wow thats crazy...r u a CO yet?

64 months ago

Joe in Wilmington, Delaware said: Sonia, When did you take the written test. I took it in Feb 2009 and havn't heard anything back yet.[/QUOT

I took da test in 2008 and i js went for orientation
a few days ago...its such a long process

64 months ago

Vic Manuel in West Haven, Connecticut said: supervisor ean shes a very nice person... shes cool.. i filled it out but my investigator gave them back to me cause i had to get info from all my jobs i had .. and put them in the booklet .. but almost done with it./.. waiting for info to be mailed to me from social security..[QUOTE

Hell i js went to orientation and got my booklet, how long did u have to wait before They call u to bring in da paper work? How far back did u go on the jobs ..i went back 21 years. Thanks

PAT in Saint Albans, New York

64 months ago

IS THERE A CLASS CURRENTLY IN THE ACADEMY

h@@py in New York, New York

64 months ago

PAT in Saint Albans, New York said: IS THERE A CLASS CURRENTLY IN THE ACADEMY

No

Chris wright in Amityville, New York

64 months ago

jmck in East Farmingdale, New York said: Does anyone know if they hold the academy during the holdiay months coming up?

does anyone know that if you get disqualified from the nypd that if you have have to tell nyc corrections about the disqualification?

John in Harrison, New York

64 months ago

Matt in Clifton Park, New York said: The starting salary is $36,420. After 6 months you go to $38,310. Then finally when you reach a year your salary will be $43,867.

Thanks for the reply, But I wanted to know what the pay tier or pay steps were after starting full salary for nysdoc meaning after $43,867.

mike64 in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

Chris wright in Amityville, New York said: does anyone know that if you get disqualified from the nypd that if you have have to tell nyc corrections about the disqualification?

If you chosse not to disclose it they will surely find out, and it my not look so good for you, "people who hide nothing have nothing to hide", with-holding the truth is the same as lying. BUT YES THEY WILL FIND OUT VIA FINGER PRINTS.

Walter Dim in yourbasement, New York

64 months ago

any news about upcoming academys? im looking to move to a different state within the next few months (pa) and I finished my one on one back in Oct. 2010. I know my investigation is still going since I received a call from my investigator about my tattoo's a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if you can move to a different state and still get called to academy?

Joe in Wilmington, Delaware

64 months ago

I think you have to live in NY by the time you are appointed.

rayray in Ridgewood, New York

64 months ago

hey guys its me poppin in again, first and foremost HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL, i hope whoever is in the process good luck and whoever is waiting like me good luck aswell,
well i have a question for any of you who can answer me this, 1- are all the nys jobs upstate or do they offer work in the 5 boro's ( i was reading someting on the website about apointess to the 5 boroughs, nassau...yada yada yada, get pay diff) 2) also, with all these interviews, test or what ever it may be,where are they held?? are they held here in the city or??? well i guess thats all i have right now, but then again im sure ill be back...lol

bx-snake in Jackson Heights, New York

64 months ago

Right now they are only hiring for downstate which is the 5 boroughs,lower hudson valley and westchester. the test are held in albany with the exeption of the 1 on 1 which you will have a choice of where you wanna do it,nyc is one of the choices.

64 months ago

ok, so pardon my ignorance, if they hire for downstate, why is there a difference or city corrections and state corrections???

mike64 in Huntington, New York

64 months ago

rayray in Ridgewood, New York said: ok, so pardon my ignorance, if they hire for downstate, why is there a difference or city corrections and state corrections???

WOW YOUR KIDDING? The difference is three separate governments, State Local and Fed,you do realize you need at least a high education for this position? The City houses under a year(misdemeanor) state over a year(felony).LOL,,,KEEP READING. YOUTH IS TRULY WASTED ON THE YOUNG.Good Luck Ray.

64 months ago

WHOA, EASY THERE CLEETUS, no sh** theres different governments, what i meant by it was if they hire for the city why not just keep it,make it just one hiring entity...but had YOUTH NOT BEEN WASTED, I GUESS YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN WHAT I MEANT.

64 months ago

rayray in Ridgewood, New York said: hey guys its me poppin in again, first and foremost HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL, i hope whoever is in the process good luck and whoever is waiting like me good luck aswell,
well i have a question for any of you who can answer me this, 1- are all the nys jobs upstate or do they offer work in the 5 boro's ( i was reading someting on the website about apointess to the 5 boroughs, nassau...yada yada yada, get pay diff) 2) also, with all these interviews, test or what ever it may be,where are they held?? are they held here in the city or??? well i guess thats all i have right now, but then again im sure ill be back...lol

rayray: there are STATE facilities within the 5 boroughs. There are also NYC facilities within the 5 boroughs as well. It's two totally different departments. Also for employees assigned to STATE facilities within the 5 boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland or Westchester counties receive an additional $3,210. If you're working at a facility in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam counties you receive an additional $1,195.

64 months ago

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MATT!! see that i didnt know..i thought they were all city because of location...

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

rayray.. city is a jail state is a prison.. very different definations..

Chris nypd disqualified me for not disclosing that i failed state correction psych .. but i didnt disclose it because i was doing both at the same time so didnt know that i had failed.. I won the appeal with that reason.. i wasent giving a discission yet so how could i tell that i failed... but my list expired from nypd so i never bothered again.. you better disclose it..

64 months ago

Chris thats the first thing my investigator asked me.. he had it on hand already.. Disclose everyyyyyyyyyyyyyything.. the truth will set you free lol.. trust me..

H@@PY in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

So does anyone have news on when the next academy is going to start? I finish with everything since september and i have been waiting ever since.

The only pros and cons i have heard so far is that cuomo wants a freeze cut in payroll i wonder how that is gonna affect future hiring.

And last night i was reading a news article were the majority of state correctional prison 2010 more employers did more over time than in 2009, that is sign of shortage i wonder what role that is going to play in hiring more guards.

mfriguy in Jersey City, New Jersey

64 months ago

Walter Dim in yourbasement, New York said: any news about upcoming academys? im looking to move to a different state within the next few months (pa) and I finished my one on one back in Oct. 2010. I know my investigation is still going since I received a call from my investigator about my tattoo's a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if you can move to a different state and still get called to academy?

What type and how many tattoos do you have? I have two full sleeves an my back done plus a few on my legs...just wondering if I even have a chance to get a job

64 months ago

mfriguy.. my niece husband is state c.o 2 years.. hes full body tats.. he owned a business.. as long as they are not gang related tats you wont have an issue.

ccccooo in Rochester, New York

64 months ago

I am fresh from the academy been on the job for afew weeks...ladies and gentlemen, i HATE THE JOB WITH A PASSION....

64 months ago

ccccooo in Rochester, New York said: I am fresh from the academy been on the job for afew weeks...ladies and gentlemen, i HATE THE JOB WITH A PASSION....

Why u hate it ? Damm do you anything about the resuming of the academy?

64 months ago

h@@py in New York, New York said: Why u hate it ? Damm do you anything about the resuming of the academy?

You will be treated like crap in the academy and even worse in the jail. its not even the inmates, they are more respectfull than the supervisors and senior officers. Trust me there is nothing glorifying about the job. It is all about babysitting rapist and murderers and massaging dead beat egostistical supervisors egos....prison is a depressing place. Dont rush to go work there...you are not missing anything trust me.

H@@PY in New York, New York

64 months ago

ccccooo in Rochester, New York said: You will be treated like crap in the academy and even worse in the jail. its not even the inmates, they are more respectfull than the supervisors and senior officers. Trust me there is nothing glorifying about the job. It is all about babysitting rapist and murderers and massaging dead beat egostistical supervisors egos....prison is a depressing place. Dont rush to go work there...you are not missing anything trust me.

Wow ok damm thats pretty upset and in what prison you work? Damm honestly nobody in here in this forum i know doesnt want to be a correctional officer the only positive thing is the salary and benefits that is the only reason.

64 months ago

The salary is not what it is all hyped to be...maybe the pension is great but its like selling your soul to the devil...when i see the senior officers there, you see nothing in them...its like they lost their soul.. they all look depressed...i see why because they have been around depressed inmates day in day out for over 20 years to a point that it has rubbed on them. Prison is a very cold place to work in. i am already looking for an alternative...a fomer C.O who is now a court officer told me to use the job as a springboard to another career outside a prison like he did.

64 months ago

Then quit. No one is begging you to stay. Plenty of others would like the job.

64 months ago

I am working on it trust me. Filthy job it is. it should be featured in america's dirty jobs on the discovery channel..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dpl9598 in Cold Brook, New York

64 months ago

As a CO that has been in the jail for a little over 3 months, I have to agree with what ccccoo has said. The swapping of shifts is good, but everything else about the job seems to come with seniority. The pay is decent. I have a admit sometimes I question why i took the job..lol.

64 months ago

dpl9598 in Cold Brook, New York said: As a CO that has been in the jail for a little over 3 months, I have to agree with what ccccoo has said. The swapping of shifts is good, but everything else about the job seems to come with seniority. The pay is decent. I have a admit sometimes I question why i took the job..lol.

Damm dpl9598 is really that terrible?

64 months ago

I like the job....but when my shift changes every 2 weeks and from what I hear, it can take a year or more to get a bid job (permanent shift). I expected some jumping around but this is just crazy. It just wears on you is all. The "rumor" is that the academy has shut down, so from what I have been told the movement has been shut down too. I will just have to wait and let my seniority build...

64 months ago

dpl9598 in Cold Brook, New York said: As a CO that has been in the jail for a little over 3 months, I have to agree with what ccccoo has said. The swapping of shifts is good, but everything else about the job seems to come with seniority. The pay is decent. I have a admit sometimes I question why i took the job..lol.

What i am trying to tell future recruits is not to have high expectations for the job like i did,; i wish someone would have told me the reality. All i had was rosy stuff. I am sorry if i offended anyone but it is what it is.

64 months ago

dpl9598 in Cold Brook, New York said: I like the job....but when my shift changes every 2 weeks and from what I hear, it can take a year or more to get a bid job (permanent shift). I expected some jumping around but this is just crazy. It just wears on you is all. The "rumor" is that the academy has shut down, so from what I have been told the movement has been shut down too. I will just have to wait and let my seniority build...

So what you are saying that the academy is close for good for 2011?

64 months ago

I am just telling you what i heard from other CO's. I personally hope the academies keep running.

64 months ago

cccooo i work with c.o's. but im in a civilian setting.. that is the slogan for corrections.. YOU SELL YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL.. the only thing that can hold you up is a good support system at home.. which many dont have if anything some rather stay in o.t than run home.. but that is the slogan.. I live with a city c.o im lucky he wants to run home but hes a very different man from 15 yrs ago.

still waiting in North Chili, New York

64 months ago

ccccooo
all the facilities are not the same. i was in same situation were facility sucked and the brass treated you even worse. luckily my transfer papers came in to move to the facility right next door, and now i love it. easy job and great staff to work with and they don't change your squad every 2 weeks. all you need to do is move around to a different facility until you find one you like to stick it out until you can transfer home.
guess it all depends on where you work, also the facilities that are more transiant workers are the ones that the brass treats everyone like crap because they know you aren't sticking around. try to find a facility that is more geared towards the employees that are local's and you've found a good place to work.

also last i heard from our sargent at morning line up was the acadamey was going to be closed until february.

cooper888 in Saratoga, New York

64 months ago

still waiting in North Chili, New York said: ccccooo
all the facilities are not the same. i was in same situation were facility sucked and the brass treated you even worse. luckily my transfer papers came in to move to the facility right next door, and now i love it. easy job and great staff to work with and they don't change your squad every 2 weeks. all you need to do is move around to a different facility until you find one you like to stick it out until you can transfer home.
guess it all depends on where you work, also the facilities that are more transiant workers are the ones that the brass treats everyone like crap because they know you aren't sticking around. try to find a facility that is more geared towards the employees that are local's and you've found a good place to work.

also last i heard from our sargent at morning line up was the acadamey was going to be closed until february.

Thats what I heard too..Sunday Febuary 13th

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobagunush in Modena, New York

64 months ago

is feb 13th for state or city?

64 months ago

bobagunush in Modena, New York said: is feb 13th for state or city?

they're talking about state.

64 months ago

Cooper888 in Saratoga, New York said: Thats what I heard too..Sunday Febuary 13th

Wow hopefully i could get that call.

Hans in Poughkeepsie, New York

64 months ago

When you appeal a decision do you receive they're determination in the mail?

64 months ago

Yes you do Hans.. i got mine in 2 weeks.. certified mail.

adamb in East Amherst, New York

64 months ago

hey cooper u say u heard feb 13th....does that mean the academy will start that monday then the 14th or thats when theyll start letting people know that they are going to the academy???

alphamann in Upstate, New York

64 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about exam 25-431 taken on October 16 2010?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.