NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 25218)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

58 months ago

Cgaz and Trod:
Long time no hear ! I looked through the eligible list for my test number and see that they appointed more people 2 weeks ago. THe nice part is now, they're getting closer to my rank, so I hope to hear soon. I haven't heard anything yet from my BI, or the psych results, but have been told that this is a good thing. It will be 2 months since my one on one on July 8th. That being said, i hope to make an academy class this year as my current employer would like to know what's going on. Thankfully, they aren't pushing or getting nasty about it....yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Rensselaer, New York

58 months ago

what is the website address to see if they have begun to hire from your exam yet? I took the exam in the spring of 08 and finished all my interviews and tests, just waiting to hear something now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Rensselaer, New York

58 months ago

Also where did you hear that 2 more classes were going to start in July? Was it from a credible source?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Hi Jslavick.. no i havent heard anything. all my investigator mentioned was end of july classes.. but not 100%.. i have no idea whats starting in july.. whats the link to the eligible list?? Im goin on vacation in 2 weeks.. ill call him again to let him know im away in case im not around if i get the call.

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

@ Jslavick- Hey there hope all is well , where did you go to see the eligible list i would like to take a look at that .

@Matt - I'm on another nysdoc forum it's called officer.com and some of the people i talk to have got there call over the last week , one of my forum buddies ust got the call off of test 24825 - oct 07 , he scored a 75 and he got called last monday .

@ T ROD- hey can you keep me posted if you hear anything ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Rome, New York

58 months ago

Cgaz23, they got their call to go to the academy last week you're saying? I guess that's a good sign. I think the spring 2008 exam (the one which I took) is after that so I'm hoping to hear something soon. Thank You.

jslavick in Cortland, New York

58 months ago

Hey everyone ! When I found the eligible list, I performed a search through the internet. I typed in NYS eligible list. You need to basically go to the NYS Civil Service site and look under the list by test number. Example, my test is 24-825. Once there, find your test number, then the list downloads and you can view every person that is on a particular list, their status, and if they've been appointed and when. It's a little vague, but it gives you and idea of about where they are. Unfortunately , I scored a 70, so... But I was never really good at thse tests anyway....Hope this helps. Any questions, please post, I'm here to help, and ask lots of questions. Good luck !

NY cruz in Montgomery, New York

58 months ago

Ruins of a Society said: To: NY Cruz:

For your information, my buddy Jeff was an LT., (Lieutenant) at Montgomery PD, he was also an LT. in NYS Corrections and commander of CERT, (Corrections Emergency Response Team).

I use to live in Newburgh, before living Brooklyn. As far as having a relative incarcerated, don't worry about it, before entering Corrections I had a brother incarcerated, just make sure to mention it to your investigator.

If you ever plan to visit you're incarcerated brother or relative, as I have done while a correction officer with my brother who was NYC police officer, just get permission from the Superintendent that's all.

You can get into NYS Correction with a violation conviction, you can even get in with a nonviolent misdemeanor conviction, so don't worry about it.

You guys will be fine, don't rush it. Before you know it you're going to wish you never took the job.

When that happens my advice is, either move up the ranks, or move on to another department.

Approximately 90 percent of all recruits who finish the academy will go to Sing Sing. Others will go to Downstate Correctional Facility, but will head to Sing Sing in less then 2 months.

You will fill out your list of facilities assignments, put the first facility that's closet to you. So if you live in NYC, Sing Sing is you're best bet.

If you live in Orange or Ulster Counties and want to stay at Sing Sing you can, it's a good learning place, but my advice is, don't stay too long. Go to D

Thanks so much,i have no midemeanors, . I do my psych on the tenth of july. And yeah i am not really gonna rush it cause once you get in i know its not a glamorous job...So i'm gonna enjoy my "freedom" while i can ;)I grew up in the bronx and moved up to dutchess county about 20 years ago, i moved to montgomery about 4 years ago and worked ems in the orange, dutchess and ulster counties with Mobile Life Support. Last month NYS hired me for DMV as a License Examine

Brandon D in sleepy hollow, New York

58 months ago

jslavick- i took the same test as you (24-825) and i went to the NYS civil service site and there is nowhere to find the list. just wondering where and how you found it.

58 months ago

jslavick- nevermind, i found it!!

will in Ogdensburg, New York

58 months ago

trod in Brooklyn, New York said: but honestly i think i failed because when i was asked why would i want this job when i have a new born (my son was 2mnth) i answered very defensive to me it was offensive as a woman.. im sure men are not asked that..

men are also asked why they want the job and the simple answer of it is an improvement on my current job doesn't work i had to explain why i would want that job even though i already had one

58 months ago

Ruins of a Society said: To: NY Cruz:

For your information, my buddy Jeff was an LT., (Lieutenant) at Montgomery PD, he was also an LT. in NYS Corrections and commander of CERT, (Corrections Emergency Response Team).

I use to live in Newburgh, before living Brooklyn. As far as having a relative incarcerated, don't worry about it, before entering Corrections I had a brother incarcerated, just make sure to mention it to your investigator.

If you ever plan to visit you're incarcerated brother or relative, as I have done while a correction officer with my brother who was NYC police officer, just get permission from the Superintendent that's all.

You can get into NYS Correction with a violation conviction, you can even get in with a nonviolent misdemeanor conviction, so don't worry about it.

You guys will be fine, don't rush it. Before you know it you're going to wish you never took the job.

When that happens my advice is, either move up the ranks, or move on to another department.

Approximately 90 percent of all recruits who finish the academy will go to Sing Sing. Others will go to Downstate Correctional Facility, but will head to Sing Sing in less then 2 months.

You will fill out your list of facilities assignments, put the first facility that's closet to you. So if you live in NYC, Sing Sing is you're best bet.

If you live in Orange or Ulster Counties and want to stay at Sing Sing you can, it's a good learning place, but my advice is, don't stay too long. Go to D

i was wondering if you have family in a facility would you be assinged to that location?

58 months ago

@ Will in Ogdensburg.... the question to me was.. why would a woman with a new born baby want this job.. now you tell me if men are asked that same question lol.. I DONT THINK SO lol.. i answered defensive with an aggressive tone in my voice..

58 months ago

well i hope they wouldn't ask a guy why would a woman... that could cause problems lol i would have to say the question would be more like why would a man... but you know

curios in Middletown, New York

58 months ago

hey i was recently canvassed for corrections. i sent my letter back and corrections has since received it. how long until i receive a letter or call for my first interview, then, how long until physical and medical screening appointment is set up afterwards? sorry i know these questions have been asked multiple times. another question, admittedly i have been a pot smoker for awhile, but my commitment is to my family and kids and to getting this job, i have wholeheartedly quit smoking to be clean for testing. is the test administered by blood, urine, or hair sample? is there random testing once hired?

58 months ago

question for anyone.. i finished up with everything in may of 2010. im just waiting to get the call/letter to report to academy, since then i got a new tattoo o my right forearm of my family crest. can this hurt me in anyway? do i have to report the tattoo to my investigator?

58 months ago

@ brandon d yes to see if i was still interested

58 months ago

I got the letter asking if I was still interested in 2008. I had my medical/agaility/met my investigator on april 25, 2010. Just to give you an idea. When did you take the written nys corrections exam?

58 months ago

excuse me, on april 1, 2010 i had my medical/agility/met BI

58 months ago

Brandon D in sleepy hollow, New York said: excuse me, on april 1, 2010 i had my medical/agility/met BI

@ Brandon D I took the test in 2008

58 months ago

you got a long wait. like other people have said. there are probably 5 eligibility list before yours. they have to go through all of them before they get to you.

Matt in Ware, Massachusetts

58 months ago

@ brandon d : what exam number are you?

58 months ago

@ Matt, I'm exam #24-825.. Oct '07

58 months ago

@ Matt, I'm exam #24-825

Matt in Ware, Massachusetts

58 months ago

@Brandon, I see they are hiring people with 75's from your list. I'm on 24997 the one right after you so I'm hoping they get to my list soon. Good luck!

58 months ago

thanks matt, good luck to you to!

58 months ago

curios in Middletown, New York said: hey i was recently canvassed for corrections. i sent my letter back and corrections has since received it. how long until i receive a letter or call for my first interview, then, how long until physical and medical screening appointment is set up afterwards? sorry i know these questions have been asked multiple times. another question, admittedly i have been a pot smoker for awhile, but my commitment is to my family and kids and to getting this job, i have wholeheartedly quit smoking to be clean for testing. is the test administered by blood, urine, or hair sample? is there random testing once hired?

Curious.. Yes report the tatoo and send a picture.. i had to do it.. and drug test is by blood.. and you damn right there will be random testing while on the job.. Im not sure about state but city goes back 4 months on a drug test.. GOOD LUCK..

58 months ago

will in Ogdensburg, New York said: well i hope they wouldn't ask a guy why would a woman... that could cause problems lol i would have to say the question would be more like why would a man... but you know

lol silly.. you know what i mean lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

@TROD - I know your going on vaca but have you called your B.I. , if so what did he tell you .

trod in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

he said enjoy my vacation lolol he cant tell me anything 100%.

58 months ago

TROD -cool well enjoy your vacation

58 months ago

Hey guys i got the call today to report on july 18th ..I hope the rest of you guys get that call soon . Good luck to everyone and keep your faith in the lord ....

58 months ago

cgaz23- what was your score on the exam? did they call you or send you a letter?

Matt in Rome, New York

58 months ago

Congrats Cgaz! What list/exam number are you on?

58 months ago

I was on test 24-825 from oct 07 , i scored a 75 and they called me at 4pm ....

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

CONGRAT CGAZ!!! DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHEN THE NEXT ACADEMY IS GOING TO BE SCHEDULED AFTER THE JULY ACADEMIES?

jslavick in Cortland, New York

58 months ago

Cgaz: Congrats !!!! I scored a 70, hopefully I'll go soon as well....

58 months ago

CGAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU... NICEEEEE. CONGRATSSSS.. IF SOME OF US DONT GO IN WITH YOU PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

58 months ago

cgaz congrats!! good luck.. i scored a 70, maybe ill see you there..

58 months ago

Thanks guys and ladies , I'll keep all you guys posted weekly hopefully we all go in together ....

mbarclay in Madrid, New York

58 months ago

I got the call today to go to the academy July 18th. its about time lol I took the october 07 test

58 months ago

CONGRATS MAYBE WE'LL MEET UP UP THERE ...EMAIL ME CGAZ458@YAHOO.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

@ mbarclay: congrats!! did you have a score of 75 as well??

58 months ago

does anybody know when the next academy after july 18th is? or when they think they will start picking 70's from list 24-825?

biggyc51 in watkins glen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I took the test in oct 2008 and i go july 8th for my med/agility and back ground check. Just wondering how long my wait might be seems like things are really moving now and the word on the street is there gonna start hiring alot of guys

Matt in Rome, New York

58 months ago

biggyc51 in watkins glen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I took the test in oct 2008 and i go july 8th for my med/agility and back ground check. Just wondering how long my wait might be seems like things are really moving now and the word on the street is there gonna start hiring alot of guys

@biggyc51: I took the test in spring of 2008 and they still aren't even to my list number yet (24997), but my list is the next one up. Which list number are you on? I'm hoping they have a few more academies this year to hopefully speed things up.

biggyc51 in watkins glen in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Matt in Rome, New York said: @biggyc51: I took the test in spring of 2008 and they still aren't even to my list number yet (24997), but my list is the next one up. Which list number are you on? I'm hoping they have a few more academies this year to hopefully speed things up.

Matt iam on the same list (24997) I scored a 75 i have another buddy who scored a 80 on the same list he went up last month and got everything started he goes back july 10thfor his physc so i hope we get in this year good luck man!!!

58 months ago

i took the test oct 07 (24-825), they have been calling 75's for the last week, i got a 70 and i just called my investigator a few min ago to let her know i'm going away july 4th and she said don't worry you have a ways to go. so maybe that can give you guys who took the test in 08 some insight,.

biggyc51 in watkins glen, New York

58 months ago

Brandon D in sleepy hollow, New York said: i took the test oct 07 (24-825), they have been calling 75's for the last week, i got a 70 and i just called my investigator a few min ago to let her know i'm going away july 4th and she said don't worry you have a ways to go. so maybe that can give you guys who took the test in 08 some insight,.

brandon have u gone to albany yet for your testing?

58 months ago

@biggyc51: yes i finished all tests and background in early june 2010. now i just have to wait for the call.

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.