NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 20452)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

Thanx so much for the info. I live with a NYC c.o.. he retires in August.. he had 3 incidents off duty with past inmates we came across just walking down the street in Brooklyn.. lucky on one he had his gun... my hope is to move upstate... thats is why i say i dont want the gun.... I heard about the book on WBAI ill definately pick it up.. THANK YOU!!! as per that federal fund.. my kids dad is a retired sergant NYPD.. if an officer knows about it can they file for it while on the job or after?? Sounds like something he did when i had my daughter.. i remember a convo him telling me about a 300,000 fund if he is injured etccc. just wonder if your talkin about the same thing..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

The program is for all public saftey officers nationwide. You can only apply for it if your on the job injuries were serious enough to cause your retirement. And the families of those who lost their lives on the job can file for it on their behalf.

So the program you're remembering maybe the same one your child's father may have applied for, it sounds like it. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

THANKS CGAZ23 AND TROD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Well gracias A DIOS.. we never had to be a part of that program.. he's 20 and out lol.. but yea i remember us discussing that. i want my book autographed so ill be mailing the check.. Thanks again..

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

By the way, for all you Latinos y Latinas, or any other brother or sister for that matter. Florida Highway Patrol, (State Troopers) are in desperate need of people. I mean Desperate need, especially in Volusia County, that's 40 minutes north of Orlando.

Here in Florida you work 12 hours a day approximately, with 3 days off. You take your patrol cars home and can use those cars for off duty work. For example, most construction companies hire you for $35 dollars an hour and up scale communities will go as far as $75.00, an hours.

Some Banks will allow you to park your patrol there for 8 hours a day and pay you $25. 00 to $30.00 an hour and some hotel will do the same.

Although the pay is much lower then NYS and other northern states, you do NOT pay state tax, local tax, union dues and many other expenses found up north. You actually come home with most of what you earned. So in a sense, your salary is pretty close to what you earn up north.

There are many former Correction Officers here who are State Troopers, Sheriffs Deputies and Police Officers. Most of Orlando Police Officers were NYPD and other up northern police departments, FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

For a book mail $24.00 to:

Al Bermudez Pereira
PO Box 952646
Lake Mary, FL. 32795

I'll be more then happy to autograph it for anyone, or for nonautograph books visit Amazon.com

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

Hello:

Investigators with NYS Corrections are Correction Officers. They are assign to facilities, (Prisons) like any other officer. When they are told to return and no longer needed as investigators, they return to their facilities.

Point is: You speak to an investigator as you would a potential buddy or fellow officer.

There are some who stereotype and some who are down right nasty, it's all part of a tolerance test.

Interpersonal communication skills, as you will discover, is very important on this job, like any other law enforcement job.

Many who come to Corrections think, because they grew up in the same environment that convicts grew up in, they have an edge over others. And most actually do, but not an edge over the investigator who's learned to master both environments.

Next time you sit down and speak to an investigator during your investigative process, simply pretend you're going to chat with friend and don't go beyond answering a simple question.

My new book goes into detail about the NYS Corrections Investigation process, "Ruins of a Society and the Honorable."

Good Luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat McCain

50 months ago

Hey Al, this is Pat from CT State Police, Ret. You sent me an autograph book in January, 2010. I read it in 4 days and it was really a good book. You, guys go through a lot in the prison system. I also gave you a review on your website.

I know its kind of early, but if you ever write another book, please let me know. And for all you youngsters out there who are going into the prison system, the book Ruins of a Society and the Honorable, by Al Bermudez Pereira, is a must read. It is one hell of a prison book.

Take care Al and thank you buddy, hope to see you on TV.

wiating in NYC in New York, New York

50 months ago

hey all,

I am still waiting for a call back from the NYC corrections. I took the test last year in June and am number 133 out of 764 on the list. Scored a 91. Anyway I'm hearing NYC is on freeze and may be on it until next year January. Does anyone know if State corrections has a test coming up because it seems like they are employing, slowly but surely. lol

NY cruz in Montgomery, New York

50 months ago

right now state is working off an already existing list... i just took my physical, agility and was assigned a detective for a background check. my psychological is next month..... My detective told me state is hiring due to alot of retirees going out in the next few years...something like 50% of the workforce is retiring.... I had told her i was worried about state furloughs and worse lay offs and wasnt sure if this was a really good time to start with state... she told me not to worry this is a good time to get in as you will move up in senority quickly as retirees go out....

TROD in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

@waiting in NYC ~ i took the nyc test 2 years ago.. took my psych this year January.. was told my list is not open for hire as of yet.. the mayor took the 10 million for over time and canceled the 3 classes that were goin in this year.. ohh well.. who knows when is the next nys test..

NY Cruz how long have you been waiting??? i took my test April 09 finished eveything with state.. my investigator said possible a July class..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

Hey Trod long time no hear . When did you get to speak with your investigator im still waiting on this call im thinking maybe september ..

50 months ago

@cgaz i spoke to him last Friday.. im goin on vacation end of July so i wanted to be clear.. all he said possibly expect a call for end of July.. .. we will see..

50 months ago

and he is tryin to push a few cases for July..

wiating in NYC in New York, New York

50 months ago

@TROD, WOW thats depressing. LOL Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be stuck at my job for another year, but its all good because the way the economy is right now im just thankful to have a job at all.

Ruins Of a Society

50 months ago

NYS Dept. of Correctional Services Academy usually run from April to July, August to November, December to March. You will remain at the academy and only able to go home on weekends.

The hundreds of those who attended the 1985, academy, the same academy I attended, will be retiring this year. Many have already submitted their papers six months in advance, as recommended.

Many of those I came through the academy with in 1985, are now Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains.

So a new class should be in full swing shortly. That would be for August and December 2010.

Ruins Of a Society

50 months ago

Pat McCain said: Hey Al, this is Pat from CT State Police, Ret. You sent me an autograph book in January, 2010. I read it in 4 days and it was really a good book. You, guys go through a lot in the prison system. I also gave you a review on your website.

I know its kind of early, but if you ever write another book, please let me know. And for all you youngsters out there who are going into the prison system, the book Ruins of a Society and the Honorable, by Al Bermudez Pereira, is a must read. It is one hell of a prison book.

Take care Al and thank you buddy, hope to see you on TV.

Hey, Pat, how are you buddy? Thanks for the kind words brother. If I write another book I'll will let you know effective immediately.

50 months ago

@Trod
i just spoke to my B.I. now and she told me when my name comes up on the list ill get called . So i guest ill just sit back and wait for the call to come ...

50 months ago

@TROD.... It's not NYCity , I'm processing for NYState... NYC is on a freeze until next year.... Take a state test when ever it comes out.... I took my test about one and a half years ago... but state is hiring big time for approx. the next five years....

Ruins Of a Society

50 months ago

NY cruz in Montgomery, New York said: right now state is working off an already existing list... i just took my physical, agility and was assigned a detective for a background check. my psychological is next month..... My detective told me state is hiring due to alot of retirees going out in the next few years...something like 50% of the workforce is retiring.... I had told her i was worried about state furloughs and worse lay offs and wasnt sure if this was a really good time to start with state... she told me not to worry this is a good time to get in as you will move up in senority quickly as retirees go out....

That's correct about the retirees...NYS Dept. of Correctional Services Academy usually run from April to July, August to November, December to March. You will remain at the academy and only able to go home on weekends.

The hundreds of those who attended the 1985, academy, the same academy I attended, will be retiring this year. Many have already submitted their papers six months in advance, as recommended.

Many of those I came through the academy with in 1985, are now Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains.

So a new class should be in full swing shortly. That would be for August and December 2010.

jslavick in Cortland, New York

50 months ago

Cgaz and Trod: Do you think that since I am "just waiting", I might get into one of the summer classes this year? I hear so much from everyone on this forum, I don't know what to believe. My investigator doesn't know much of what's going on., as per our last conversation. This sit and wait thing is sometimes tough....especially in a job that you are tired of, no benefits, upward mobility, etc. I'm trying not to change anything so that the cup isn't rattled, so to speak.

50 months ago

@jslavick.. im waiting just like you.. we know less then the investigators.. and i dont believe anything either.. whenever my time comes then so it be.. i just wonder if i have the upper hand because of spanish list.. as for sit and wait.. well there is nothing else we can do.. remain hopeful!!

@cgaz ~ pretty much thats what we are all being told.. i have no idea how state system works..

50 months ago

@ NY Cruz.. i know that city is on freeze.. i finished my process with them in January i was scheduled for februarys class that the mayor canceled.. they might begin again in November.. im done with state corrections as well.. so the waiting time has begun.

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: @jslavick.. im waiting just like you.. we know less then the investigators.. and i dont believe anything either.. whenever my time comes then so it be.. i just wonder if i have the upper hand because of spanish list.. as for sit and wait.. well there is nothing else we can do.. remain hopeful!!

@cgaz ~ pretty much thats what we are all being told.. i have no idea how state system works..

Hey, TRod:

NYS Dept. of Correctional Services Academy usually run from April to July, August to November, December to March.

As you probably already know, you will remain at the academy and only able to go home on weekends.

Hundreds of those who attended the 1985 Academy, the same academy I attended, will be retiring this year.

Many of those I came through the academy with in 1985, are now Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains throughout NYS.

Many of them have also submitted their retirement papers six months in advance, as recommended.

So in addition to the classes already in the academy, a new class should be in full swing shortly. That would be for August and December 2010.

In NYS Correction officers retire every day, whether on disability accidental, inmate related or full service.

Many others transfer out to other fields of law enforcement on every government level.

So is there an opening in NYS Corrections, "always."

50 months ago

Thanx Ruins... but as a recruit I keep in mind ~yes state is hiring and at the time there are 3000 other recruits with me~ who will get called???... altho i dont know if it makes a difference with a spanish list.. there is 130 on my list 107 the test before.... like most just stayin put where i am now and wait for the call..

50 months ago

Starb86.. it takes over a year.. people that got in now been waiting 3 years.. so who knows..

STARB86 in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

TROD in Brooklyn, New York said: Starb86.. it takes over a year.. people that got in now been waiting 3 years.. so who knows..

OK THANKS BC I HAVE ONE MORE SEMESTER LEFT FOR COLLEGE TO GET MY BA DEGREE. I'M DONE IN DECEMBER AND I DON'T WANT THE ACADEMY TO AFFECT MY LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE.

THANKS TROD YOUR A BIG HELP

50 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: @ NY Cruz.. i know that city is on freeze.. i finished my process with them in January i was scheduled for februarys class that the mayor canceled.. they might begin again in November.. im done with state corrections as well.. so the waiting time has begun.

Hey t rod maby i'll see ya in the academy,,, i still have psych to go through...and right now they are doing my background check,,,

To Ruins of a Society: I was wondering what red flags are they looking for? I dont have a history of violence or any arrests no violations except one speeding ticket four years ago. I do have some debt and a distant step brother in Attica...i havent spoken with him for about five years.... just wondering thanks

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

NY cruz in Montgomery, New York said: Hey t rod maby i'll see ya in the academy,,, i still have psych to go through...and right now they are doing my background check,,,

To Ruins of a Society: I was wondering what red flags are they looking for? I dont have a history of violence or any arrests no violations except one speeding ticket four years ago. I do have some debt and a distant step brother in Attica...i havent spoken with him for about five years.... just wondering thanks

To: NY Cruz:

For your information, my buddy Jeff was an LT., (Lieutenant) at Montgomery PD, he was also an LT. in NYS Corrections and commander of CERT, (Corrections Emergency Response Team).

I use to live in Newburgh, before living Brooklyn. As far as having a relative incarcerated, don't worry about it, before entering Corrections I had a brother incarcerated, just make sure to mention it to your investigator.

If you ever plan to visit you're incarcerated brother or relative, as I have done while a correction officer with my brother who was NYC police officer, just get permission from the Superintendent that's all.

You can get into NYS Correction with a violation conviction, you can even get in with a nonviolent misdemeanor conviction, so don't worry about it.

You guys will be fine, don't rush it. Before you know it you're going to wish you never took the job.

When that happens my advice is, either move up the ranks, or move on to another department.

Approximately 90 percent of all recruits who finish the academy will go to Sing Sing. Others will go to Downstate Correctional Facility, but will head to Sing Sing in less then 2 months.

You will fill out your list of facilities assignments, put the first facility that's closet to you. So if you live in NYC, Sing Sing is you're best bet.

If you live in Orange or Ulster Counties and want to stay at Sing Sing you can, it's a good learning place, but my advice is, don't stay too long. Go to D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruins of a Society

50 months ago

Ruins of a Society said: To: NY Cruz:

For your information, my buddy Jeff was an LT., (Lieutenant) at Montgomery PD, he was also an LT. in NYS Corrections and commander of CERT, (Corrections Emergency Response Team).

I use to live in Newburgh, before living Brooklyn. As far as having a relative incarcerated, don't worry about it, before entering Corrections I had a brother incarcerated, just make sure to mention it to your investigator.

If you ever plan to visit you're incarcerated brother or relative, as I have done while a correction officer with my brother who was NYC police officer, just get permission from the Superintendent that's all.

You can get into NYS Correction with a violation conviction, you can even get in with a nonviolent misdemeanor conviction, so don't worry about it.

You guys will be fine, don't rush it. Before you know it you're going to wish you never took the job.

When that happens my advice is, either move up the ranks, or move on to another department.

Approximately 90 percent of all recruits who finish the academy will go to Sing Sing. Others will go to Downstate Correctional Facility, but will head to Sing Sing in less then 2 months.

You will fill out your list of facilities assignments, put the first facility that's closet to you. So if you live in NYC, Sing Sing is you're best bet.

If you live in Orange or Ulster Counties and want to stay at Sing Sing you can, it's a good learning place, but my advice is, don't stay too long. Go to D

Go to Downstate or Fishkill CF.

Hopes this helps...

50 months ago

@ NYCRUZ.. your doing psych for city or state... city does psych first before meeting an investigator.. hey you never know i hope we do go in together!!!

50 months ago

Ok so i called my investigator today.. "he said good news you got clearance from psych.. have your bags ready to go because the next call is goin to be very short notice.. and you never know if its your time.. they are waiting a few more weeks for the rest of psych results to come in.. I must say it was a relieffff ahhhhhhh ... im glad its over. : ) now back to the waitin clock.. tick tock tick tock : ) GOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK EVERYONE..

MM in Rome, New York

50 months ago

I finished all the processes. Just had my 1 on 1 with the Pysch. the other day. He said it could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to hear anything. I was wondering if anyone knows the average time it takes to hear back after you are done with all your testing and interviews? Also, anyone else on Exam No. 24997? Finally, I read in a previous post that you could look on the NYS Dept. of Labor to see which tests they are hiring from. Anyone know how to access that or have a link for it?

johnathan in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

Rob Hurd in Arcade, New York said: As the son of a 25 year NYSDOC officer and a CO trainee, i can say that they have plans to run the next academy in march, generally it happens in march, that's how it was 25 years ago and things have'nt changed much since. if anyone else has any questions feel free to ask me, i will do my best to get an answer for ya.

do you know if a person was put back on the list for being a correctional officer trainee after feeling the pyscholocial and doing a second interview in person

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

50 months ago

johnathan: It's been a month and a few days since my one on one with the psychologist. Haven't heard anything yet...Based on all the different threads I've been reading, it seems like the information is all over the place. So my next question is does anyone think I'll make a class this year, or.....? I don't want to bother my investigator and torque him off, so I haven't called to see if the results for the psych are in. I was told if you had failed, you'd know by know. Please shed some light.... Thanks.

Cgaz: Congrats ! I hope to meet up with you some time. Keep us all posted.

50 months ago

@ jslavick
Hey i think you should send congrats to TROD not me but anyway hopefully we all get called son , the last time a spoke with my investigator she told me when my name comes up ill get a call ..

@TROD

Hey what test did you take was it oct 07 , and what was your score again ???

50 months ago

@cgas23.. I took the test April 09.. but im on the spanish list.. only 130 ppl on that list.. 3300 on the english..

Brandon D in sleepy hollow, New York

50 months ago

i took the oct 07 state corrections exam and i just completed the last step which was the psych interview in april. does anybody have a clue about when i think id be called or when the 1st academy starts?

mbarclay in Madrid, New York

50 months ago

i took the october 07 test as well and i finished the psych interview in feb. and im still waiting from CO's i've talked to its around a 7-12 month wait

probe7899 in Bay Shore, New York

50 months ago

I am a NYC corrections candiate and was wondering if anybody has lead investigator Eanes contact number? It was saved in my phone that died a few weeks ago. Please feel free to contact me with it at probe7899@netzero.com.
Thanks
Brian

50 months ago

@TROD
Hey i just heard of 2 more classes going in one on july 4th and another one on july18th . I was just wondering if you got the call for any of them classes. If not have you heard anything from your B.I. .....

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

49 months ago

Cgaz and Trod:
Long time no hear ! I looked through the eligible list for my test number and see that they appointed more people 2 weeks ago. THe nice part is now, they're getting closer to my rank, so I hope to hear soon. I haven't heard anything yet from my BI, or the psych results, but have been told that this is a good thing. It will be 2 months since my one on one on July 8th. That being said, i hope to make an academy class this year as my current employer would like to know what's going on. Thankfully, they aren't pushing or getting nasty about it....yet.

Matt in Rensselaer, New York

49 months ago

what is the website address to see if they have begun to hire from your exam yet? I took the exam in the spring of 08 and finished all my interviews and tests, just waiting to hear something now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Rensselaer, New York

49 months ago

Also where did you hear that 2 more classes were going to start in July? Was it from a credible source?

49 months ago

Hi Jslavick.. no i havent heard anything. all my investigator mentioned was end of july classes.. but not 100%.. i have no idea whats starting in july.. whats the link to the eligible list?? Im goin on vacation in 2 weeks.. ill call him again to let him know im away in case im not around if i get the call.

49 months ago

@ Jslavick- Hey there hope all is well , where did you go to see the eligible list i would like to take a look at that .

@Matt - I'm on another nysdoc forum it's called officer.com and some of the people i talk to have got there call over the last week , one of my forum buddies ust got the call off of test 24825 - oct 07 , he scored a 75 and he got called last monday .

@ T ROD- hey can you keep me posted if you hear anything ...

Matt in Rome, New York

49 months ago

Cgaz23, they got their call to go to the academy last week you're saying? I guess that's a good sign. I think the spring 2008 exam (the one which I took) is after that so I'm hoping to hear something soon. Thank You.

jslavick in Cortland, New York

49 months ago

Hey everyone ! When I found the eligible list, I performed a search through the internet. I typed in NYS eligible list. You need to basically go to the NYS Civil Service site and look under the list by test number. Example, my test is 24-825. Once there, find your test number, then the list downloads and you can view every person that is on a particular list, their status, and if they've been appointed and when. It's a little vague, but it gives you and idea of about where they are. Unfortunately , I scored a 70, so... But I was never really good at thse tests anyway....Hope this helps. Any questions, please post, I'm here to help, and ask lots of questions. Good luck !

49 months ago

Ruins of a Society said: To: NY Cruz:

Thanks so much,i have no midemeanors, . I do my psych on the tenth of july. And yeah i am not really gonna rush it cause once you get in i know its not a glamorous job...So i'm gonna enjoy my "freedom" while i can ;)I grew up in the bronx and moved up to dutchess county about 20 years ago, i moved to montgomery about 4 years ago and worked ems in the orange, dutchess and ulster counties with Mobile Life Support. Last month NYS hired me for DMV as a License Examine

Brandon D in sleepy hollow, New York

49 months ago

jslavick- i took the same test as you (24-825) and i went to the NYS civil service site and there is nowhere to find the list. just wondering where and how you found it.

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.