NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 25545)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

biggyc51 in watkins glen, New York

58 months ago

well man hopefully u get in the july academy i heard another one runs in september! Does any one know how many guys there pklanning on bring on this year heard alot of guys are retiring son alot of spots are open!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Hornell, New York

58 months ago

@biggyc51: I got a 95 and finished all my tests like a month ago. Just waiting to hear something as well . Just hoping they get to our list soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Yea man i hear just wish i knew how many classes there planning on runningjust going to have to wait and find out i guess

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

I took my psych first week in may.. the psych told me.. end of summer a lot of ppl are retiring so the gates have to get filled.. ppl will get called in high numbers.. follow investigators instructions and wait for that call so as the story goes.. just wait wait wait.. GOOD LUCK everyone..

mbarclay in Madrid, New York

58 months ago

after my 1 on 1 it was a little over 4 months until I got my call to give you guys some kind of idea on the wait I had at least. And yeah I got a 75 on the test

jslavick in Cortland, New York

58 months ago

@mbarclay: Congrats !!!!! I'm glad you're heading up to the academy. I scored a 70, and had my 1 on 1 May 8th. I haven't received anything stating I passed, and my investogator said he hasn't received anything, nor does he need anything from me....so I wait..... But he said no news is good news. Good luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Thanx guys i think ur rite Trod its all a waiting game i think each guy is diffrent and u just have to wait your turn

Jacknife2 in Bronx, New York

58 months ago

Congrats to all that are headed to the academy, but i would like to know if anyone knows how people the put in per class? I finish everything since May 02, 2010 and the only call i got, was from my investigator asking me about a job that i just worked away from about 11years ago when i was 18. He said that i should have just quit cause they had discharged on my file.

mbarclay in Potsdam, New York

58 months ago

@jslavic: You wont get anything to say you passed the 1on1. If you get a registered letter in the mail thats how they let you know you failed. If you pass you wont hear a thing until you Inverstigator calls you and says they have an academy for you. Like I said I waited 4 months and no news was good news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

58 months ago

@mbarclay: Thanks for the info. It certainly helped. Keep us posted of the process. Give us a shout if you need anything up at the academy. I'm only a short distance away.

58 months ago

How hard is the physc exam itself and do they base the 1 on 1 from the info they get off the exam?

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

@biggyc51- The psych exam is nothing its just questions about yourself and the 1 on 1 is based on what you wrote on the written exam so make sure you say the same thing . Good luck with it .

@jslavick- Hey before you know it your be getting that call to attend trust me and like i said before ill write every friday night about the week we had ..

broncos in Albany, New York

58 months ago

hey ladies/gentlemen, be patient, i took the test in oct 07 and got called this week to start on the 18th. i did everything in feb/march 2010. so it has been 3yrs past, my 1 on 1 was late march and i got the call jun for the july class. hang in there

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

Hello everyone. I just got the call this week for the 18th. I to took the test Oct 07. I was wondering has anyone recently been through the Academy? Not too sure what to expect. Just looking for a little insight. Thanks so much.

DOCS to DEC in Clifton Park, New York

58 months ago

Hello everyone, I took the written exam in 4/09 scored 85 and was ranked high on the Spanish Language test, received a canvas letter in 11/09, Had my physical and met my investigator in early 3/10, had my psych eval in 4/10 and got the call to report on JULY 4th in late 6/10. Sorry many of you guys have been waiting so long, your time will come. I believe that a good deal of the people reporting to these recent academies are from the 2007 tests. Hang in There guys.

I do have a few questions and I would appreciate any info you might have.
After the Academy is complete, you have your ojt and then your first assignment. They say that it is typically downstate or in the MID-Hudson Valley. I guess my question is what HUBS define this region. Are Hudson CF, Greene CF and Coxackie Max considered to be upstate or are then considered MID-HUDSON. Do any of you know of anyone who has had one of these facilities as their first perm assignment?

How are daily duties decided say working on the gallery, in a dorm or working a perimeter tower?

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

DOCS to DEC in Clifton Park, New York said: Hello everyone, I took the written exam in 4/09 scored 85 and was ranked high on the Spanish Language test, received a canvas letter in 11/09, Had my physical and met my investigator in early 3/10, had my psych eval in 4/10 and got the call to report on JULY 4th in late 6/10. Sorry many of you guys have been waiting so long, your time will come. I believe that a good deal of the people reporting to these recent academies are from the 2007 tests. Hang in There guys.

I do have a few questions and I would appreciate any info you might have.
After the Academy is complete, you have your ojt and then your first assignment. They say that it is typically downstate or in the MID-Hudson Valley. I guess my question is what HUBS define this region. Are Hudson CF, Greene CF and Coxackie Max considered to be upstate or are then considered MID-HUDSON. Do any of you know of anyone who has had one of these facilities as their first perm assignment?

How are daily duties decided say working on the gallery, in a dorm or working a perimeter tower?

Hello,

You said you are going July 4th. I have not recieved my packet with info yet. Iwas wondering what the list of things that we need to bring. Wanted to tackle shopping for supplies this weekend. Can you help me out? Thanks.

docs to dec in Clifton Park, New York

58 months ago

Hey Yanks,
When I received the letter I was surprised as to how much or rather how little they say you need. most of the paper work is legal mumbo-jumbo. They say bring, light gray shorts, sweat pants, sweat shirt and gym shoes for pt. They tell you to bring shoes or boots capable of holding high polish (they must not be glossy/parade shoes, no dress shoes, no square toes, nothing too fancy or designer) they tell you to bring black shoe polish, black socks,white socks, white t-shirt (NOT V-NECK), Hygiene items (the basics), a combination lock, pens and pencils. and that is it. It appears that they like to keep things about the academy a secret until you get there. IDK. but if you go to forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?81812-Nysdocs-Academy-On-Hold
you will actually get lists from people who have been there. They give you really neat recommendations and you can get a vague idea of what the academy is like and maybe even chat with other DOCS hopefuls. Good Luck

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

docs to dec in Clifton Park, New York said: Hey Yanks,
When I received the letter I was surprised as to how much or rather how little they say you need. most of the paper work is legal mumbo-jumbo. They say bring, light gray shorts, sweat pants, sweat shirt and gym shoes for pt. They tell you to bring shoes or boots capable of holding high polish (they must not be glossy/parade shoes, no dress shoes, no square toes, nothing too fancy or designer) they tell you to bring black shoe polish, black socks,white socks, white t-shirt (NOT V-NECK), Hygiene items (the basics), a combination lock, pens and pencils. and that is it. It appears that they like to keep things about the academy a secret until you get there. IDK. but if you go to forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?81812-Nysdocs-Academy-On-Hold
you will actually get lists from people who have been there. They give you really neat recommendations and you can get a vague idea of what the academy is like and maybe even chat with other DOCS hopefuls. Good Luck

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. Does it say anything about street clothes? Do we only wear sweats? Good luck to you. And thank you for your help.

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

Yankees Rock said: Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. Does it say anything about street clothes? Do we only wear sweats? Good luck to you. And thank you for your help.

Sorry to bother you agian. I clicked on the link and didn't see any lists. How do you find that. Also where did you get your shoes? An Army Navy Store?

Thanks again,
Jeanne

58 months ago

Hey guys i go up thursday for my physcal exam and my background how many people will i be testing with? and how long will it take?

murph716 in Beacon, New York

58 months ago

you'll be testing with 20-30 others, they start at 7:30 sharpe, you should be out of the medical building around 11am, try to be one of the first ones to sign in, that's the or order they go in. The investigation part take about an hour or two, more paper work, meet your investigator, and finger printing. You will also get your date for the psych written test. Good Luck! I'm waiting for list 24997 to active!

58 months ago

murph716 in Beacon, New York said: you'll be testing with 20-30 others, they start at 7:30 sharpe, you should be out of the medical building around 11am, try to be one of the first ones to sign in, that's the or order they go in. The investigation part take about an hour or two, more paper work, meet your investigator, and finger printing. You will also get your date for the psych written test. Good Luck! I'm waiting for list 24997 to active!

Me to iam on list 24997 also i think we should go actice real soon what did you score on the test? Did u go to albany already?

58 months ago

@ DOCS to DEC in Clifton Park, New York ~ I took the same test as you did (Spanish) i got an 80.. im so surprised you got called so soon from our list.. they havent touched anyone on the list before us.. Good luck..

58 months ago

Yankees.. you wear anything you want after your dismissed for the day.. the hardest part is your not allowed to leave the academy the first week.. so if your a picky eater your stuck.. after the first week you can step out.. usually theres a bar down the block where everyone hangs out after the first week..

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: Yankees.. you wear anything you want after your dismissed for the day.. the hardest part is your not allowed to leave the academy the first week.. so if your a picky eater your stuck.. after the first week you can step out.. usually theres a bar down the block where everyone hangs out after the first week..

Thanks for the info!!! I am very nervous not sure what to expect. I have a couple of weeks before I go to the academy. Could you enlighten me on what to expect? What is the best way to stay in the background. I appreciate any info really I do. Thanks so much.

Jeanne

58 months ago

lol Yankee i did about 3 weeks 11 years ago.. i left because i was 1 month pregnant with my son.. There is no way to stay in the backgroud lol.. NO WAY!! well of course they gonna be in ur face to test you.. Just show 100% effort and they wont mess with u.. slack off and it will be on.. they have eyes ALL OVERRRR.. They pick group leaders every week u better hope its not you lol if u want to be in the background lol.. and of course there will be 1 or 2 that u wont get along with... BE PREPARE TO SWEATTTT UR behind OFF.. you will do those 30 min runs in this heat ..

58 months ago

When i went upstate in April a few of the instructors are still there.. so they have experiance.. pay attention. your goin to be surprised how many people are so clueless.. and get pounded on.

Yankees Rock

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: When i went upstate in April a few of the instructors are still there.. so they have experiance.. pay attention. your goin to be surprised how many people are so clueless.. and get pounded on.

T,

Thank you so much for the insight. So am I understanding that you went 11 years ago left and then went again to the Academy in April?

NY cruz in Montgomery, New York

58 months ago

curios in Middletown, New York said: hey i was recently canvassed for corrections. i sent my letter back and corrections has since received it. how long until i receive a letter or call for my first interview, then, how long until physical and medical screening appointment is set up afterwards? sorry i know these questions have been asked multiple times. another question, admittedly i have been a pot smoker for awhile, but my commitment is to my family and kids and to getting this job, i have wholeheartedly quit smoking to be clean for testing. is the test administered by blood, urine, or hair sample? is there random testing once hired?

when i got my canvas letter it took approx three months before the physical and back ground investigator assignment

JIM in Albany, New York

58 months ago

biggyc51 in watkins glen, New York said: Hey guys i go up thursday for my physcal exam and my background how many people will i be testing with? and how long will it take?

Plan on All Day!! Physical from 7am to 1100am and then Agility right after (real easy 15 minutes) and then Right to your Investigator. Here is where it can take an additional 1-4 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

murph716 in Beacon, New York

58 months ago

i scored a 90, i've finished all the steps had my 1 on 1 june 9, just waiting for them to start calling of this list...should be soon, there down to 75 and 70 on the previous list.

58 months ago

@Yankee ~ Im reapplying.. i have to start from scratch.. I took my written this past April.. im just waitin for the call again.. I even had the same psych interview me again.. The people up there instructing you thru the process are either instructors or investigators.. most of the instructors are still there from 11 yrs ago.. Its all about PAYING ATTENTION BEING AWARE.. you have to keep in mind in this job you have to have eyes in the back of your head.. if not you will be in trouble.. thats the main focus.. trust me you will see recruits who have no idea of anything like a child..

58 months ago

Hey guys i'm going for my psych written this sat and was wondering how long is it and do you do a one on one the same day? if not how long after do they call you for the one on one with your psych?

jslavick in Cortland, New York

58 months ago

The written took me 5.25 hours. Of course I took my time and paced myself to avoid being tired faster. You will be given an appointment to meet your psychologist that day, after the test. The one on one is usually one month after your written.

Matt in Rome, New York

58 months ago

@ NY cruz: it took me like 2.5 hours to do the written psych. Everyone is different though, go at your own pace, there is no rush. As you're leaving, they let you decide one of 3 locations to go for your psych. Either Rochester, Albany, or NYC. They make your appointment for the 1 on 1 and then give you the necessary papers you need and send you on your way. Good Luck!

58 months ago

i went this past thursday for my background review i was wondering if they call yoyr employer that you are working for now i had some attendence issues at work a year ago was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting in i filled out a statment and he reviewed it any input guys thanx!

58 months ago

@ Biggy they contact everyone to verify employment.. the psych will get you with that attendence issue.. so be prepared to get hit hard on the questions..

58 months ago

NY Cruz.. i took me 2.5 hours and i took a break downstairs for like 20 minutes in between.. you have 6 hours to finish.. get there by 7 the line is longgggggg to get in.. there was over 500 in front of me and i got there at 730am.. my 1 on 1 was 3 weeks later. The place you take the written this the academy where you will be staying when you get called..

MR. ZZZ in Albany, New York

58 months ago

curios in Middletown, New York said: hey i was recently canvassed for corrections. i sent my letter back and corrections has since received it. how long until i receive a letter or call for my first interview, then, how long until physical and medical screening appointment is set up afterwards? sorry i know these questions have been asked multiple times. another question, admittedly i have been a pot smoker for awhile, but my commitment is to my family and kids and to getting this job, i have wholeheartedly quit smoking to be clean for testing. is the test administered by blood, urine, or hair sample? is there random testing once hired?

I have got to question your 2 questions/statements and ask --- WHAT DO YOU MEAN "quit smoking to be clean for testing" and "is there random testing once hired". Wouldn't you agree that you should be going clean PERMANENTLY for a change in life and not just to pass the Test.? Anything less -- I promise you will become a statistic. Seriously, I have just retired from (20+ Years) in the Military and as a Recruiter and have seen way too many service members go down the same path and then BAM!! They are in jail for using drugs (Any Drug; to include MJ Usage). Once this happens to you, (and please don't think you won't get caught) you will seriously feel the effects. You will probably NEVER WORK AGAIN in a High Profile Career (maybe McDonalds).

So here's my advice, if you are already questioning and asking about Random Drug Testing --- maybe you should walk away and seek other employment. It would be better for you and your family.
Today (2010) All Drug Test that are administered by both urine/blood can detect drug usage up to months / years. **EAMPLE** It takes about 45 days to "Piss a CLEAN urine sample" from smoking Week from today.

Good Luck with your decision.

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: @ Biggy they contact everyone to verify employment.. the psych will get you with that attendence issue.. so be prepared to get hit hard on the questions..

hey thanx T ROD i can handle that bout will that effect me getting hired as long as i clear it with the physc?

58 months ago

biggy ur excuse better be good because it cleary shows charector.. that you dont care for the job. irrisponsible etcc... in this job the hours are mandatory to work 15 hours a day.. the first question is how will the hours affect you.. etc.. They are basing you on charector so clear it if u can..

58 months ago

Well said Mr ZZZ.. if you dont know that its random testing on this job then for sure go some place else..

58 months ago

Biggy Did you mention to ur investigor the attendence issue???

MR. ZZZ in Albany, New York

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: Well said Mr ZZZ.. if you dont know that its random testing on this job then for sure go some place else..

THANKS TROD -- Many people in this Forum may one day be working along side us .....and when (not if) "High" when working... Can lead to our Death / Injury.

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: Biggy Did you mention to ur investigor the attendence issue???

TROD yes i told him and filled out a statement about the issues a i had with being late which were all lagit reasons no bull crap and he said it looked fine

58 months ago

biggyc51 in watkins glen, New York said: TROD yes i told him and filled out a statement about the issues a i had with being late which were all lagit reasons no bull crap and he said it looked fine

And i wasnt that i didnt care for the job it involves intense traveling and some times on the road you run into things that can hold u up so wasnt just blowing of work and like i said it has been a year without a issue

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

leaving next sunday to the academy anyone have any last minute advise . i would greatly appreciate it . thanks

mbarclay in Canton, New York

58 months ago

im trying to get everything I need for the 18th....anyone know if these boots will be ok? www.militaryboots.com/mens-bates-11-paratrooper-sz I bought them today

58 months ago

T ROD in Brooklyn, New York said: NY Cruz.. i took me 2.5 hours and i took a break downstairs for like 20 minutes in between.. you have 6 hours to finish.. get there by 7 the line is longgggggg to get in.. there was over 500 in front of me and i got there at 730am.. my 1 on 1 was 3 weeks later. The place you take the written this the academy where you will be staying when you get called..

thanks TROD, did my psych today and it was exactly as you said. It is nice to be prepared.... the test was not hard but just long and my fingers hurt by the end of it.... the essay took me totally off guard- but i took some time to think and feel i did well enough.... some of the questions though made me laugh like have you ever dreamed of having sex with animals lol.... what the......

58 months ago

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York said: leaving next sunday to the academy anyone have any last minute advise . i would greatly appreciate it . thanks

congratualations... and dont quit the first two weeks!!! hang in there and tell us all about it.... ;)

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.