Oral Peace Officer Psychological Evaluation (POPE) (Pass/Fail)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 195)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

futurecdcer in Santa Rosa, California

67 months ago

I believe it's a multiple choice test and there are no right or wrong answers. It's basically evaluating your thinking process psychologically. How long ago did you clear backgrounds? I cleared backgrounds last Thursday and waiting for a letter or whatever it is I'll receive. How long did you have to wait?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Meech in Manteca, California

67 months ago

I already took that multiple choice part. I took that 600+ questionnaire over a year ago. They are finishing up wrapping my background now, just waiting to hear back from another agency I applied for. For me this background process lasted over 8 months!!! The freeze messed it up, when they finally got to my PHS it only took my background investigator less than 1.5 months to complete.

The question I was interested in is what goes on when you are being interviewed by the psychologist. Im sure there is no way to be ready for it just be honest and open, but was curious about what is expected. Good luck to you also!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

walter in Sun City, California

67 months ago

Pre-Employment Medical Examination (PEM) will be administered by appointment only.
Candidates that do not appear for the PEM will be disqualified and will not be able to reapply for 1 year from the disqualification date.
Candidates that do not provide requested information by the due date will be disqualified and will not be able to reapply for 1 year from the disqualification date.
Candidates who are disapproved in the PEM will not be able to reapply for 1 year from the disqualification date.
PEM date and time cannot be rescheduled.

Tuberculosis Screening
Prior to reporting to the Training Academy, applicants are tested to ensure they do not have tuberculosis.

Appointment Process
After successfully completing all of the aforementioned selection components, candidates are placed on a certification list, which gives them eligibility to be appointed to the next 16-week Training Academy.

Institution Assignment
Institution assignment is based on departmental need; whenever possible, candidates are assigned to an institution close to their home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

walter in Sun City, California

67 months ago

Scoring Category Worksheet (Weighted 100%)
To start the process, submit an application with the State Personnel Board at www.spb.ca.gov. Applicants who achieve a passing score on the Scoring Category Worksheet (70% or higher) will be scheduled for the written examination. California Government Code (19057.3) requires that we offer appointments to candidates on the eligible list according to their score. Candidates with SCW scores 85 and above will be scheduled to participate in the written peace officer exam, and allowed to participate in the remaining components of the selection process. Those whose SCW score is below 85 and pass the written test will have their names added to the eligible list, but will not be allowed to participate in the remainder of the selection process until their scores become reachable.

Written Examination (Pass/Fail)
This exam is designed to evaluate an applicant's skills in the area of grammar, spelling, punctuation, reading comprehension, and basic mathematics. Study guides for governmental examinations are available at libraries and bookstores. To be successful, candidates must possess strong reading and writing skills equivalent to the 12th grade level. Suggestions:

Study materials that review reading skills, reading comprehension, English grammar, punctuation, spelling, and composition.
Enroll in college courses or adult school classes to review or improve English, reading comprehension and writing skills.
Take our Sample Test to learn more about the types of questions asked on the exam.
Changes to the Written Examination

Written Examination is by appointment only; walk-ins are no longer an option.
Candidates that do not appear for the written examination will be disqualified and will not be able to reapply for 1 year from the disqualification date.
Written Examination date and time cannot be rescheduled.
Vision Test (Pass/Fail)
This test checks an applicant's ability to see. If the applicant does not have 2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thank you Walter for the information. I guess you missed my point of the original question. I'm more curious in someone that has taken the POPE by a psychologist already and how it went and what to expect. I'm already very familiar with the information you posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SGarcia in Greenwood Village, Colorado

66 months ago

Employment Screening & Background Check

The reasons for conducting an international background check are the same as those when hiring domestically. Businesses are legally required to exercise due diligence when making employment decisions. For instance, if you hire someone who harms a customer or co-worker, and a background check could have revealed a previous history of similar behavior, it is a very real possibility you could be the target of a costly negligent-hiring lawsuit.

Many people are in the U.S. as undocumented immigrants or lack valid work visas.
International background checks should be completed on these individuals to obtain information regarding any overseas criminal activity
and to confirm employment and education, especially for those who have not been in the U.S. long enough to provide adequate American references.
In addition, U.S.-based employers should conduct international background searches on individuals who will be working at an overseas branch of their company and living outside of the U.S. www.infocubic.net/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tisontj29 in El Centro, California

66 months ago

I am someone who has already gone through all steps of the hiring process before they raised the SCW scoring to 85.I was a candidate up for appointment. The interview you are asking about is based on that psychological test you took at the beggining of the hiring process. The psychologist will introduce herself to you and explain that she will ask you a series of questions based on your answers from your psychological written exam. She will also ask you a phrase and you explain what that phrase means to you. Example (strike at first sight) this phrase could be interpreted in many different ways. 1. first impression, 2.taking advantage of a situation, 3. reacting with a form of violence upon approaching someone that caused you harm.
Try to remember the questions from your written test and how you answered. You will constantly see your interviewer taking notes on everything from how you dressed for your interview, down to the answers you give. Advise listen closely to her question. Answer her question to the T and only her question. Dont try giving explanations to come up with your answer. It only leads her to suspicions on what you say and will prolong your interview. Be honest on your answers. When she ask's you a question think back "have I ever done this? How would I react in this situation?" Your interview will last about one hour. GOOD LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Darian in Chico, California

66 months ago

So like in the written example above "strike at first sight", I thought for example:

"pre-emptive strike against a potentially hostile target"

This would say I would be: Quick to react, but potentially could be inappropriate use of violent action.

Something like that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

D Money said: Yeah there are many different interpitations on that. You can disect that all day on what it means to you and what state of mind you are in. Hard to say but in reality just taking time to think before you speak is key for this test.

Aha, so basically the whole test is to "think, before you respond"
From there, learn how to think faster with the same efficiency.

Very helpful then. So no "right or wrong" per se, just "think before you act"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

D Money

66 months ago

Correct! There is no right or wrong answer for the psych test but on HOW you answer. Just be straight forward, and straight to the point. You think too much into your answer you are going to make the Psychologist think you are trying to b.s. him/her.

Just like in an oral board exam they want to see how you think. Also with time passing they want to compare to what you wrote on the written test and what you say in person. Your answers should be consistent. Consistency it the biggest issue in people failing this test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Well, took the Written Psych Test. WOW! That was a long one!
Basically, it's a bunch of questions (around 800 in all) of random psych stuff and also some personal questions. It's a test you REALLY can't study for. The best thing to do is "be honest". Even if you are not a perfect, model citizen, just be honest with it. The DoC is looking for honest people and people they can trust. If you hide anything from them, they will look down on you and potentially turn you down for employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

This thread was not regarding the WRITTEN party of the psych test it was regarding the Oral Evaluation after. Thank you for your information anyways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Here's the thing. The WRITTEN part IS ALSO the ORAL PART as well!

Basically, the proctors and ejudicators go over the questions that you answered in the written part of the exam, just to make sure you weren't just "answering to make yourself correct for the need of the CDCR".

That's why I said "Be honest" as "it is easier to remember the truth than it is to maintain a lie".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ktown

65 months ago

I live in maryland and took the psychological assessment last friday...i answered everything completely honest, i am curious to know what will disqualify someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Having various discrepancies on your evaluation. What you put down in writing vs. what you told the psychologist when interviewed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ktown

65 months ago

I was 100% honest with the interviewer and on the assessment. It was 310 questions of true false and although being honest I have no idea if that will fail me. Yes I have smoked pot and tried drugs no hard drugs...they give you no where to explain so...I am hoping I don't fail. My answers were consistant they asked the same questions just reworded them and I answered them the same...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie Johnston in Shingle Springs, California

64 months ago

does anybody know why somebody would be disqualified during the interview process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Too many discrepancies on your interview vs. what you answered on your multiple choice psych evaluation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smendoza in Modesto, California

64 months ago

SGarcia in Greenwood Village, Colorado said: Employment Screening & Background Check

The reasons for conducting an international background check are the same as those when hiring domestically. Businesses are legally required to exercise due diligence when making employment decisions. For instance, if you hire someone who harms a customer or co-worker, and a background check could have revealed a previous history of similar behavior, it is a very real possibility you could be the target of a costly negligent-hiring lawsuit.

Many people are in the U.S. as undocumented immigrants or lack valid work visas.
International background checks should be completed on these individuals to obtain information regarding any overseas criminal activity
and to confirm employment and education, especially for those who have not been in the U.S. long enough to provide adequate American references.
In addition, U.S.-based employers should conduct international background searches on individuals who will be working at an overseas branch of their company and living outside of the U.S. www.infocubic.net/

Thank you for that info. I feel much better about the background check process now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Manchester, New Hampshire

63 months ago

I am a previous Correctional officer of 8yrs. I got out of the business and want to go back to a county corrections facility. They are group II retirement.I have already been through the states corrections academy by the NH Associtation of counties as required.There are 7 test. I can pass 5 w/no problem. I keep hearing that all I have to pass is 5 and in one county only 4. Does any of them must be a run?It doesnt state so at any of the corrections websites. what they real deal with this anyone help?thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

D in Folsom, California

62 months ago

Meech in Manteca, California said: Thank you thank you!!!!!

Thats what I was looking for! Just to know what I am in for when it comes to that interview. Yeah I took that written psych test over a YEAR ago! Not to mention in a different state of mind at the time. So its going to be a lil hard to remember what I put down on the test. Anyways thank you again for the information and I have a better idea on what to look forward too!

Meech,
Sorry to be the break the news, but the POPE is only good for a year, after that you have to re-take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

macnmo in Fresno, California

60 months ago

my pope was 1 hour and 4 min. work history, chronology of residences, familial relationships, questions on the written psych, seemed like quite a bit. no indication on how i did other than i will hear from corrections within 5 weeks, and if i hear from SPB before that it will prob be not good, or a request for clarification on specifics.

i just went today in central cal and there were only three others on the appointment calender

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

schmo in Sylmar, California

57 months ago

This page has been so very helpful already. Thank you everyone who took the time to share your experience. I am just beginning the process and hope for the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rayvenge in San Diego, California

54 months ago

schmo in Sylmar, California said: This page has been so very helpful already. Thank you everyone who took the time to share your experience. I am just beginning the process and hope for the best.

I just got the call that I will be taking my psych & written test do any of you guys know the usual wait time after the call & after that what's next drug & physical test?

still waiting in Chula Vista, California

54 months ago

Rayvenge the process for taking the written test to the physical test should be about a month or two, and then after the physical test you have to do the background investigation which can take 3-5 months. After that they schedule you for the pre-employment medical which can take another 2 months and then you meet with the psychologist. This process has taken me 13 months so far. So unless you have a higher score over 90+ plan on waiting a bit.

rayvenge in San Diego, California

54 months ago

thanks for the info, yeah I applied 5 months ago & barely hearing for them I don't turn 21 til next month so it's all perfect timing, so after the written test they'll take a couple weeks or even months to get back at you with your results?

arlene in Stockton, California

54 months ago

just curious if anyone knows how long (approx) the pope test takes. written and/or oral. hope its not a day long process

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denver in Sonora, California

53 months ago

Arlene. From my understanding it taking about 4 hours for the written Test and another hour or so for the oral testing. Also, I don't believe these tests are on the same day. I have my Written POPE test on 4/20 in fresno and will get back and let you know how long it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Sacramento, California

53 months ago

Psychological Examination of Peace Officer Applicants:
Theory and Practice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary L. Fischler, Ph.D.
Minneapolis, MN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For decades, law enforcement agencies have attempted to maximize the quality of their officers through psychological selection procedures. Since 1978, psychological examination of all new peace officer hires in the State of Minnesota has been required under the POST board rules. This mandate assures that prior to joining a department, new officers are screened for psychological conditions or characteristics which may compromise their ability to function effectively as peace officers. This article describes the psychological factors generally considered to be critical in determining the suitability of new personnel, the rationale for these factors, and how they can be appraised through the psychological evaluation process.

WHY IS PSYCHOLOGICAL SCREENING NECESSARY?
While the answer to this question may seem fairly obvious, it is interesting to note that not all states require psychological pre-employment screening. Historically, psychological screening has often been seen as a way to screen out the "crazies": individuals with obvious mental illnesses that would make them clear and immediate threats to public safety because of their access to firearms. Individuals with suicidal or homicidal tendencies, or those whose grasp of reality is tenuous and unpredictable, were obvious candidates to be screened out. However, with the ongoing professionalization of law enforcement, including increased educational requirements and more careful and comprehensive background investigation methods, such individuals are rarely given conditional job offers.

On the other hand, due to the ever-increasing litigiousness in our society, as well as increased public awareness of the abuses of a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Sacramento, California

53 months ago

For the rest of that info go to this link
www.psycheval.com/psych_exam_peace_officer_apps.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ay in Sacramento, California

51 months ago

tisontj29 in El Centro, California said: I am someone who has already gone through all steps of the hiring process before they raised the SCW scoring to 85.I was a candidate up for appointment. The interview you are asking about is based on that psychological test you took at the beggining of the hiring process. The psychologist will introduce herself to you and explain that she will ask you a series of questions based on your answers from your psychological written exam. She will also ask you a phrase and you explain what that phrase means to you. Example (strike at first sight) this phrase could be interpreted in many different ways. 1. first impression, 2.taking advantage of a situation, 3. reacting with a form of violence upon approaching someone that caused you harm.
Try to remember the questions from your written test and how you answered. You will constantly see your interviewer taking notes on everything from how you dressed for your interview, down to the answers you give. Advise listen closely to her question. Answer her question to the T and only her question. Dont try giving explanations to come up with your answer. It only leads her to suspicions on what you say and will prolong your interview. Be honest on your answers. When she ask's you a question think back "have I ever done this? How would I react in this situation?" Your interview will last about one hour. GOOD LUCK.

Can anyone please post some sample phrases that the Psychologist would probably ask. Thank You!

51 months ago

Can anyone please post some sample phrases that the Psychologist would probably ask. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

arlene in Stockton, California

50 months ago

thank you very much for the info. it is all helpful in putting me at ease. just thinking about a psych eval makes me nervous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edd in San Jose, California

50 months ago

I have passed all the exams and I just done with my back ground check, so I am waiting for psych oral interview? dose anybody knows how should you react to the interview???
do you have to think like COP or just the way you think???
how would you know if you pass or fail and dose they even tell you why you Fail?????

Thank you

Christina831 in Monterey, California

50 months ago

When i did mine last week, it was about an hour long and kinda laid back. The evaluator was an old nice guy. He asked me questions about my past like the things I put on my PHS. Such as tickets, credit, jobs, basically everything we write down on the PHS is going to be discussed. I went in just being myself I answered honestly and casual. No one can tell you how to react because you have to be yourself. I think they send you something in the mail stating if you passed or failed and if you failed they will explain why. I took my evaluation last week and I haven't heard anything yet except a call making a date for my Medical eval next week.

mattb in Garden Grove, California

49 months ago

i have to take my p.e.m. tomorrow. will i be disqualified if i smoke cigarettes ocasionally i smoked this weekend and know that the nicotine will still be in my system. I am getting worried and any help would be great.

Thanks everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

calikid in Irvine, California

48 months ago

When you go for the PAT physical abilities test do they do the urine & blood test the same day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fb in Colorado Springs, Colorado

48 months ago

I am going to take my test in October. I was just wondering...I cant remember all the exact dates of my employers is it a horrible thing to guess on a couple of them? Also in training do you get paid?
Thanks

48 months ago

Yes, you will get paid during training at the Academy. As far as employment dates, it's better if you contact Human Resources from the places you worked at and get the information you need. Good luck!

bigrah69 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Hi I applied to become a correctional officer in pa and I was denied because of the psychological evaluation. I did receive a letter saying I passed and was capable of carrying a firearm from the test I did with the psychologist. Can I appeal or reapply. If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I failed the MMPI 2 test?

ap in Irvine, California

47 months ago

calikid in Irvine, California said: When you go for the PAT physical abilities test do they do the urine & blood test the same day?

Calikid,

Are you scheduled for your written exam with CDCR? Or have you already completed that? I am currently waiting on my test date this is why I ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Paradise, California

47 months ago

It may or may not depending on the job I would think. The best thing is just to be honest. CDCR is looking for honest people, so if you are honest with them, they will be honest with you.

wishingco in Meriden, Connecticut

46 months ago

hello im taking the written exa,pat,and the pope in 2 day process dec8 2010. can someone please give me some advice, also is it any hotels near the school in rancho cumcomgo?

big in Fresno, California

46 months ago

Just wondering Having Hep C will that screw me from PEM, even if i get a medical clearance from my personal doctor?

fit girl in Fresno, California

46 months ago

How hard is the pshy test, anyone know, I had to have a counsoler i used around two half years ago during a hard time for me, when my ex husband got caught cheating on me, and left me high and dry. CDC wants my file from my counseling sessions, so i questions they can base some questions off of that?? Has anyone have anymore idea what else they do. I am totally fine now and have been for a while, just so close to the end, and want to make sure I am ready for anything they might throw at me in that interview. Thanks everyone.

Curt in Paradise, California

46 months ago

The main concern I would guess is how you would handle a situation similar to that from within, as in "How would you handle a prisoner that you knew was a spouse abuser / cheater?" Also, think of it as how you would personally a situation where you past and/or someone said something to you from your past. Would you crumble or face your fears? Best thing to do is be honest, tell them about your past and at the same time, if you need to, vent your problems, yet keep composed and excuse yourself from time-to-time to talk about it if it gets too overwhelming. I think the Examiner will understand.

fit girl in Fresno, California

46 months ago

Thanks for the info, I agree.

saw in Lemoore, California

45 months ago

fit girl in Fresno, California said: How hard is the pshy test, anyone know, I had to have a counsoler i used around two half years ago during a hard time for me, when my ex husband got caught cheating on me, and left me high and dry. CDC wants my file from my counseling sessions, so i questions they can base some questions off of that?? Has anyone have anymore idea what else they do. I am totally fine now and have been for a while, just so close to the end, and want to make sure I am ready for anything they might throw at me in that interview. Thanks everyone.

How is the selection process going? I took the written exam and now i'm waiting a few more weeks for the PAT. Do you think that chapter 7 bankruptcy will cause a problem? It was filed over 2 yrs. ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Chico, California

45 months ago

Again, just be honest with your BIU representative and tell them what happened. I had my own problems with credit years ago and I told them why (although I didn't have to file for bankruptcy in my case) because I needed to put money to more important things (food, gas for car to go to work, etc.) and they understood and as of now, I am going in next week for my Written Psych test.

The CDCR isn't looking for saints to become CO's, just looking for honest people ;)

1789 in Bakersfield, California

45 months ago

ktown said: I live in maryland and took the psychological assessment last friday...i answered everything completely honest, i am curious to know what will disqualify someone.

Check this out

lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.