Oral Peace Officer Psychological Evaluation (POPE) (Pass/Fail)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 181)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ay in Sacramento, California

56 months ago

Can anyone please post some sample phrases that the Psychologist would probably ask. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

arlene in Stockton, California

56 months ago

thank you very much for the info. it is all helpful in putting me at ease. just thinking about a psych eval makes me nervous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edd in San Jose, California

55 months ago

I have passed all the exams and I just done with my back ground check, so I am waiting for psych oral interview? dose anybody knows how should you react to the interview???
do you have to think like COP or just the way you think???
how would you know if you pass or fail and dose they even tell you why you Fail?????

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christina831 in Monterey, California

55 months ago

When i did mine last week, it was about an hour long and kinda laid back. The evaluator was an old nice guy. He asked me questions about my past like the things I put on my PHS. Such as tickets, credit, jobs, basically everything we write down on the PHS is going to be discussed. I went in just being myself I answered honestly and casual. No one can tell you how to react because you have to be yourself. I think they send you something in the mail stating if you passed or failed and if you failed they will explain why. I took my evaluation last week and I haven't heard anything yet except a call making a date for my Medical eval next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

mattb in Garden Grove, California

55 months ago

i have to take my p.e.m. tomorrow. will i be disqualified if i smoke cigarettes ocasionally i smoked this weekend and know that the nicotine will still be in my system. I am getting worried and any help would be great.

Thanks everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

calikid in Irvine, California

54 months ago

When you go for the PAT physical abilities test do they do the urine & blood test the same day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fb in Colorado Springs, Colorado

54 months ago

I am going to take my test in October. I was just wondering...I cant remember all the exact dates of my employers is it a horrible thing to guess on a couple of them? Also in training do you get paid?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ay in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

Yes, you will get paid during training at the Academy. As far as employment dates, it's better if you contact Human Resources from the places you worked at and get the information you need. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigrah69 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Hi I applied to become a correctional officer in pa and I was denied because of the psychological evaluation. I did receive a letter saying I passed and was capable of carrying a firearm from the test I did with the psychologist. Can I appeal or reapply. If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I failed the MMPI 2 test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ap in Irvine, California

52 months ago

calikid in Irvine, California said: When you go for the PAT physical abilities test do they do the urine & blood test the same day?

Calikid,

Are you scheduled for your written exam with CDCR? Or have you already completed that? I am currently waiting on my test date this is why I ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Paradise, California

52 months ago

It may or may not depending on the job I would think. The best thing is just to be honest. CDCR is looking for honest people, so if you are honest with them, they will be honest with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wishingco in Meriden, Connecticut

52 months ago

hello im taking the written exa,pat,and the pope in 2 day process dec8 2010. can someone please give me some advice, also is it any hotels near the school in rancho cumcomgo?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

big in Fresno, California

52 months ago

Just wondering Having Hep C will that screw me from PEM, even if i get a medical clearance from my personal doctor?

fit girl in Fresno, California

52 months ago

How hard is the pshy test, anyone know, I had to have a counsoler i used around two half years ago during a hard time for me, when my ex husband got caught cheating on me, and left me high and dry. CDC wants my file from my counseling sessions, so i questions they can base some questions off of that?? Has anyone have anymore idea what else they do. I am totally fine now and have been for a while, just so close to the end, and want to make sure I am ready for anything they might throw at me in that interview. Thanks everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Paradise, California

52 months ago

The main concern I would guess is how you would handle a situation similar to that from within, as in "How would you handle a prisoner that you knew was a spouse abuser / cheater?" Also, think of it as how you would personally a situation where you past and/or someone said something to you from your past. Would you crumble or face your fears? Best thing to do is be honest, tell them about your past and at the same time, if you need to, vent your problems, yet keep composed and excuse yourself from time-to-time to talk about it if it gets too overwhelming. I think the Examiner will understand.

fit girl in Fresno, California

52 months ago

Thanks for the info, I agree.

saw in Lemoore, California

50 months ago

fit girl in Fresno, California said: How hard is the pshy test, anyone know, I had to have a counsoler i used around two half years ago during a hard time for me, when my ex husband got caught cheating on me, and left me high and dry. CDC wants my file from my counseling sessions, so i questions they can base some questions off of that?? Has anyone have anymore idea what else they do. I am totally fine now and have been for a while, just so close to the end, and want to make sure I am ready for anything they might throw at me in that interview. Thanks everyone.

How is the selection process going? I took the written exam and now i'm waiting a few more weeks for the PAT. Do you think that chapter 7 bankruptcy will cause a problem? It was filed over 2 yrs. ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Chico, California

50 months ago

Again, just be honest with your BIU representative and tell them what happened. I had my own problems with credit years ago and I told them why (although I didn't have to file for bankruptcy in my case) because I needed to put money to more important things (food, gas for car to go to work, etc.) and they understood and as of now, I am going in next week for my Written Psych test.

The CDCR isn't looking for saints to become CO's, just looking for honest people ;)

1789 in Bakersfield, California

50 months ago

ktown said: I live in maryland and took the psychological assessment last friday...i answered everything completely honest, i am curious to know what will disqualify someone.

Check this out

lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf

1789 in Bakersfield, California

50 months ago

saw in Lemoore, California said: How is the selection process going? I took the written exam and now i'm waiting a few more weeks for the PAT. Do you think that chapter 7 bankruptcy will cause a problem? It was filed over 2 yrs. ago.

check this out:

chapter 2, page 8

Saw in lemoore in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

1789 in Bakersfield, California said: check this out:

chapter 2, page 8

Thanku for the info. It realy helped my peace of mind. Good luck on your process. It sounds like your looking pretty good so far.

black in Stockton, California

49 months ago

Does anyone know if they use the pre psych questionnaire with the background investigation? Or do they use the background investigation with the psych questionnaire?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Will in Sacramento, California

48 months ago

I took my psych eval on the 10th... and felt very uncomfortable. It's hard to describe but it was as if i was trying to defend all the dumb stuff i've ever done, lots of questions pertaining to my alcohol consumption, as well as questions regarding aggression. I thought the pre-investigtive interview with the BI was where i'd get drilled. Anyone also feel pressured?

Is it designed to make one feel pressured? what is the pass/fail rate? I'm still a bit anxious,... I wrote on the supplemental sheet.. ( i forgot what its called, but the one we filled out right before we took the written and the MMPI-2 psych tests) that my weekly consumption of alcohol was 1-2 times a week averaging 2 drinks per session. in the interview I said i drank 3 to 4 to five, depending on the situation. When I was asked my latest and average binge drinking session i said it was on the first, ( friend goin to iraq.. his pre-deployment leave) i said i consumed 8. on the supplemental i said average binge was around 10.. so those matched pretty well, but the average run-of-the-mill drinks i flubbed on.

im a 27 year old single male... will my drinking be called into question? or does everyone get drilled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

deb in Nashville, Tennessee

47 months ago

ktown said: I was 100% honest with the interviewer and on the assessment. It was 310 questions of true false and although being honest I have no idea if that will fail me. Yes I have smoked pot and tried drugs no hard drugs...they give you no where to explain so...I am hoping I don't fail. My answers were consistant they asked the same questions just reworded them and I answered them the same...
DID U PASS THE TEST

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tomi in Fresno, California

47 months ago

fit girl in Fresno, California said: How hard is the pshy test, anyone know, I had to have a counsoler i used around two half years ago during a hard time for me, when my ex husband got caught cheating on me, and left me high and dry. CDC wants my file from my counseling sessions, so i questions they can base some questions off of that?? Has anyone have anymore idea what else they do. I am totally fine now and have been for a while, just so close to the end, and want to make sure I am ready for anything they might throw at me in that interview. Thanks everyone.

Hi Fit girl,

Did you pass or fail your phyc?

xtinctz28 in Fresno, California

47 months ago

Will in Sacramento, California said: I took my psych eval on the 10th... and felt very uncomfortable. It's hard to describe but it was as if i was trying to defend all the dumb stuff i've ever done, lots of questions pertaining to my alcohol consumption, as well as questions regarding aggression. I thought the pre-investigtive interview with the BI was where i'd get drilled. Anyone also feel pressured?

Is it designed to make one feel pressured? what is the pass/fail rate? I'm still a bit anxious,... I wrote on the supplemental sheet.. ( i forgot what its called, but the one we filled out right before we took the written and the MMPI-2 psych tests) that my weekly consumption of alcohol was 1-2 times a week averaging 2 drinks per session. in the interview I said i drank 3 to 4 to five, depending on the situation. When I was asked my latest and average binge drinking session i said it was on the first, ( friend goin to iraq.. his pre-deployment leave) i said i consumed 8. on the supplemental i said average binge was around 10.. so those matched pretty well, but the average run-of-the-mill drinks i flubbed on.

im a 27 year old single male... will my drinking be called into question? or does everyone get drilled?

Hey man I got disqualified for "excessive drinking" saying I only drank 2 times a month 3-5 beers; but I appealed it $1200 and just received last week a letter overturning their initial decision. If they do disqualify you, it is very much worth the money to appeal it to the state personnel board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

xtinctz28 in Fresno, California said: Hey man I got disqualified for "excessive drinking" saying I only drank 2 times a month 3-5 beers; but I appealed it $1200 and just received last week a letter overturning their initial decision. If they do disqualify you, it is very much worth the money to appeal it to the state personnel board.

What city are you in. I'm not sure my Doc is up to the task. He wants $500 and he does our local PD officers but I'm not really comfortable with him.

47 months ago

xtinctz28 just email me direct your doc's info.
Thank you.

loanswithtomi@yahoo.com

47 months ago

xtinctz28, just email me direct the doctor you used.
thx brother

loanswithtomi@yahoo.com

Sprite23 in Northern California

47 months ago

Tomi in Fresno, California said: I have two old aresst for fighting in 91 and 00

I think it was your arrest for fighting. When you say you have two arrest for fighting in 91 and 2000, I see it as this: In the last 20 years, you were arrested twice for fighting, you're averaging once every 10 years.
If you get this job you will be working in a prison dealing with guys who will test your patience on a daily basis and the department needs to know that you will not fight just because an inmate said something to you.

Anyway, obviously I don't know the whole story, there could be many other factors involved. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tomi in Fresno, California

47 months ago

Sprite23 in Northern California said: I think it was your arrest for fighting. When you say you have two arrest for fighting in 91 and 2000, I see it as this: In the last 20 years, you were arrested twice for fighting, you're averaging once every 10 years.
If you get this job you will be working in a prison dealing with guys who will test your patience on a daily basis and the department needs to know that you will not fight just because an inmate said something to you.

Anyway, obviously I don't know the whole story, there could be many other factors involved. Good luck!

I had my second opinion this week. This doc spent 2 hours with me and went through the whole state file. The biggest problem is I was trying to hard to answer the 600 psych questions the way i though they wanted it. turns out it scores me as a big BSer or untrustworthy. My second hit was the 2 fights yes but even this doc says she threw me under the bus. He is going to redo evaluation but says the L curve of the test is my biggest problem. I did great on the second test. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Kela in Folsom, California

47 months ago

Will in Sacramento, California said: I took my psych eval on the 10th... and felt very uncomfortable. It's hard to describe but it was as if i was trying to defend all the dumb stuff i've ever done, lots of questions pertaining to my alcohol consumption, as well as questions regarding aggression. I thought the pre-investigtive interview with the BI was where i'd get drilled. Anyone also feel pressured?

You know Will..the SAME thing happened to me!! I had an appt in Sac as well. In the POPE I told him I have 1-4 drinks Friday and Saturday (which I was being very conservative). He told me that I am a candidate that has a higher alcohol consumption than the others (ok, so everyone else is lying I guess! Cause most people drink) I told him I disagreed and he then goes on to say its not about my opinion but FACTS and that when you have a stressful job people like you drink higher quantities of alcohol to relieve stress" Blah blah blah..I was SHOCKED! Im thinking 1-4 Coors Lights on the weekend and Im an alcoholic. Are you kidding me?! This guy looked like he could polish off a bottle of bourban or 8 bottles of wine with his croanies in a night

Suhair from stockton in Oakland, California

47 months ago

hi i had my psy evaluation done today in sac.. i never drink... but stil i felt very uncomfortable because the doc was so rude to me...i dont knw why she got me so confused so lot of questions didnt match of i told investigation officer and the doc... the way she was talking to me its like she was doing the investigation because she was going through my background check file that she received from the investigation officer.... my back ground was clear so i dont know why she was going through that file... she was very rude i am scared i dont know what she is going to do.... she told me state board will be going to decide the final decision.
how many times can i take the psy evalu exam is it only ones or i can appeal again incase if she fails me... does anyone know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I'm on my second evaluation now. Doc is not done yet but he spent 2 hr instead of 40 min.

Suhair from stockton in Oakland, California

47 months ago

Tomi in Fresno, California said: I'm on my second evaluation now. Doc is not done yet but he spent 2 hr instead of 40 min.

hey how many times can you take psychologiacal evaluation...
why this is your second time...did you fail the first time..
because i just did mine yesterday i havent got the results yet but i feel very weired i dont know what she is goin to do...

ready2go in Westminster, California

47 months ago

From everybody's comments it sounds like these people are trying to get a rise out of us. They want to see how we react to their questions. My background investigator told me that they would try and piss me off and it sounds like that is the case. Any pointers??

BPSanDiego

47 months ago

I took my oral psych on the 29th of Mar. I had a few minor PTSD issues that I had to give SPB documentation for. My interviewer said the only thing she saw that might be a problem is that according to my VA records they may look down on the fact that I was drinking a little bit when I got back from Iraq in 09. ( I was drinking with friends I had deployed with after getting back etc. I now only drink once or twice a month 4-5 drinks, and all my other records reflect that) I was also on medication for a while, but stopped taking it. I haven't heard anything yet, and after calling SPB they advised they cannot give results out over the phone. They said no news is good news and that if something is wrong I will get a letter and if not my analyst will contact me. Anyone else have an idea of the time frame for these results? I talked to a guy I work with who interviewed with the same doctor in San Diego in Jan and he received a letter saying he failed because he took to long to answer questions. I have been in the hiring process since oct 2009. Thanks for any help in advance.

tomi in Fresno, California

47 months ago

You will get a DQ letter if you failed. Then you will have to get a second evaluation like me and hope its better. The state doc will look second evaluation over and decide then yes or no. Some times I think the second evaluation is just to cover the states butt if you screw up. Drinking is huge in CDC because the officers are stressed out and drink.

If the state doc still says NO you can stand before the appeals board and plead your case. Good luck to us both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suhair in Oakland, California

47 months ago

Hey thanks Tomi...info realy helped alot man... u got me relax now.. incase if doc disaproves me then i can appeal it again.. i thought it was only ones that u have to take... i didnt know u can we can take psy evaluation test twice...but anyway thanks i will post my result here after i get the doc letter...

47 months ago

I was DQ'd on the 28th of March, and they cited- "insufficient judgement, and forthrightness".. Figured id get a second opinion, especially since thats not my psychological profile at all. Weird how this psychologist said that about me after 35 minutes, and I know im neither, and ive known myself for at least 14 years.. at least. ( sarcasm. )

I immediately got on the phone and started calling psychologists. It was actually pretty difficult getting a hold of any psychologists that do the LE psych exams, and if you do find one, they are either A.)too busy, or B.) conflicting interests, as they also do State Board exams for the CDCR. But dont give up, it took me 2 weeks of constant phone harassment ( joking) and phone tag to get a hold of someone willing and able to help.

I got some info from a Psych who said the forthrightness was a part of my written psych eval- stating that I was trying too hard to match my answers- APPARENTLY, the 600 question psych test is set up to get people to answer the same question differently. Thats part of why i was dq'd .. - i was being too thoughtful in my questions. GOD that was frustrating to hear. and the judgement thing.. REALLY? ive had 2 speeding tickets, been fired and experimented with drugs.. ALL years in the past. ... i was thinking this whole time, thats the point of the Background 'CLEARED' classification, guess not. ( it always sounds bad when said at once, but for a lifetime of poor choices, a total of 10 words in-which all the bad things ive done in life can be summed up.. AINT TOO DAMN BAD. my original worry about drinking wasn't mentioned.

BPSanDiego in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

Will in Sacramento, California said: I was DQ'd on the 28th of March, and they cited- "insufficient judgement, and forthrightness".. Figured id get a second opinion, especially since thats not my psychological profile at all. Weird how this psychologist said that about me after 35 minutes, and I know im neither, and ive known myself for at least 14 years.. at least. ( sarcasm. )

I immediately got on the phone and started calling psychologists. It was actually pretty difficult getting a hold of any psychologists that do the LE psych exams, and if you do find one, they are either A.)too busy, or B.) conflicting interests, as they also do State Board exams for the CDCR. But dont give up, it took me 2 weeks of constant phone harassment ( joking) and phone tag to get a hold of someone willing and able to help.

I got some info from a Psych who said the forthrightness was a part of my written psych eval- stating that I was trying too hard to match my answers- APPARENTLY, the 600 question psych test is set up to get people to answer the same question differently. Thats part of why i was dq'd .. - i was being too thoughtful in my questions. GOD that was frustrating to hear. and the judgement thing.. REALLY? ive had 2 speeding tickets, been fired and experimented with drugs.. ALL years in the past. ... i was thinking this whole time, thats the point of the Background 'CLEARED' classification, guess not. ( it always sounds bad when said at once, but for a lifetime of poor choices, a total of 10 words in-which all the bad things ive done in life can be summed up.. AINT TOO DAMN BAD. my original worry about drinking wasn't mentioned.

Hey will, when did you take your oral psych? Just wondering how long it took to get your results i took
Mine on mar 29th and still hvent hears anything. Thanks for any help in advance.

47 months ago

BPSanDiego in Sacramento, California said: Hey will, when did you take your oral psych? Just wondering how long it took to get your results i took
Mine on mar 29th and still hvent hears anything. Thanks for any help in advance.

i waited ... roughly... lets see ... March 10th- March 28th i got the letter i was DQ'd. so, 18 days.

SergioC4

47 months ago

I also receantly got DQ for "forthrightness" and "excessive alcohol consumption". Does anyone know of a Dr in sacramento or surrounding areas who will do a second opinion???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sac in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

Does anyone know what the process is for an appeal? I guess i failed my bg check. They say because of gang affiliation. I told them i used affiliate with a gang in high school. That was more than 20 years ago do i have a chance for an appeal? anyone?

47 months ago

SergioC4 said: I also receantly got DQ for "forthrightness" and "excessive alcohol consumption". Does anyone know of a Dr in sacramento or surrounding areas who will do a second opinion???

Sorry to hear that you where DQ and I wish you luck in the appeal process. Any idea what they consider "excessive alcohol consumption"? If i recall correctly I listed 2-3 beers a week on my written POPE. I wouldnt think that is excessive but you just never know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

sac in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know what the process is for an appeal? I guess i failed my bg check. They say because of gang affiliation. I told them i used affiliate with a gang in high school. That was more than 20 years ago do i have a chance for an appeal? anyone?

Dont qoute me here but I dont believe you can appeal your background check, I believe you can only appeal your oral pope.
Can anybody confirm that?

Suhair

47 months ago

I don't think either.. u can not re apply for background check again....once it's done it's done... While ur Sargent was doin the investigation u could of call selection and standard office and change ur investigation officer but now it's too late already...

47 months ago

Hey guys here is a link for a psychologist in Orange County, CA who conducts Law Enforcement 2nd Opinion Evaluations.
www.psychologicaltesting.com/police_evals.htm

47 months ago

YES YES YES READ WHAT BPS SAID AGAIN NEWBIES who are just applying.
First off that letter is a form letter. Everyone gets the same.
Second DO NOT try to be to virtues on the 600 question test. Take it slow think about the question and what it means don't answer what you "THINK" they want to hear. I did the same and that is part of my DQ problem. You come out to high on the lier's curve. Example: I have thought so bad that I can't say them out loud. T/F
Everyone has bad thoughts so you put True. If you put F your a lier. There is a lot of these questions on that test. THINK THINK only lie on "I want to hurt people" or "I like to get drunk/do drugs" hurt small animals ect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

sac in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know what the process is for an appeal? I guess i failed my bg check. They say because of gang affiliation. I told them i used affiliate with a gang in high school. That was more than 20 years ago do i have a chance for an appeal? anyone?

Your DQ letter will have the appeal info. You will have to gather your evidence and stand before the panel and plead your case. You can do this at any time once DQ'ed EXAMPLE: If your BK person says you failed financial responsibility but you really have not you can show proof at your hearing. EXAMPLE BK says its against the law not to file your taxes. BS if you filed but could not PAY. You appeal show you are on a payment plan show that your house is under lien etc show that yes you are responsible. You must show the state your willing to fight and not roll over. I don't know your situation give more info if you want. I'm helping a friend now in bay area with his appeal.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.