Physical Fitness Test (PFT) CDCR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 104)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

onfriday in Westwood, California

10 months ago

What was your PFT like, i am getting ready and would like to have a idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ATT in Manteca, California

10 months ago

onfriday in Westwood, California said: What was your PFT like, i am getting ready and would like to have a idea.

Go to the website and watch the video

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

onfriday in Westwood, California

10 months ago

ATT in Manteca, California said: Go to the website and watch the video

Thanks. i have watched the video and read the like, but have heard they do an indoor test also using a stationary bike and wieghts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ATT in Manteca, California

10 months ago

onfriday in Westwood, California said: Thanks. i have watched the video and read the like, but have heard they do an indoor test also using a stationary bike and wieghts.

It was in 2011 now they changed it ... It calls PAT ... But if you are be able to do the PFT dont worry about PAT it is easier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

onfriday in Westwood, California

10 months ago

ATT in Manteca, California said: It was in 2011 now they changed it ... It calls PAT ... But if you are be able to do the PFT dont worry about PAT it is easier

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Los Angeles, California

10 months ago

Its easy they have you run and then you yump over blocks and then you up to a 2story building stair u go up and down the stair then you get out the building and there will be some dumb bells hat you have to carry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

mike in Los Angeles, California said: Its easy they have you run and then you yump over blocks and then you up to a 2story building stair u go up and down the stair then you get out the building and there will be some dumb bells hat you have to carry

IS the test Exactly how it is in the video? and do they tell you how much time you have left or you have to keep track of it on your own? Was there a lot of people watching and is it outdoor/indoor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

mike in Los Angeles, California said: Its easy they have you run and then you yump over blocks and then you up to a 2story building stair u go up and down the stair then you get out the building and there will be some dumb bells hat you have to carry

Are the dumbells super heavy? I tried to find some at the stores so i can practice but i could not find any? If you can give me any advice/tips about the PFT, that would be great...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hughson, California

10 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: Are the dumbells super heavy? I tried to find some at the stores so i can practice but i could not find any? If you can give me any advice/tips about the PFT, that would be great...

No their not that heavy the dumbbells is the last obstacle in the test they give you 5.00 min 5 sec to complete the physical test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

10 months ago

mike in Hughson, California said: No their not that heavy the dumbbells is the last obstacle in the test they give you 5.00 min 5 sec to complete the physical test

Remember that its 2 45lb weights and that is like adding 90lbs to your weight and having time against you...my advice for anyone that is doing the pft is to practice. CDCR gives you the length and time and even shows you how it might be so I'd recreate it and practice (I did)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Remember that its 2 45lb weights and that is like adding 90lbs to your weight and having time against you...my advice for anyone that is doing the pft is to practice. CDCR gives you the length and time and even shows you how it might be so I'd recreate it and practice (I did)

Did you take the PFT test yet? If so, were you able to finish before the 5min .... I watched the video and i feel that the 5 min is plenty of time to complete the PFT if you are constantly moving and not stopping ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

10 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: Did you take the PFT test yet? If so, were you able to finish before the 5min .... I watched the video and i feel that the 5 min is plenty of time to complete the PFT if you are constantly moving and not stopping ...

Yes I took it in May 2013 and yes I passed. It does look easy on the video but it's not the case unless you're an athlete. You should practice. Where are you in California? Because if anyone is intersted I have the perfect place that has stairs and I have everything measured for the weights and I'm willing to go practice with you but you have to bring ur weights cause I don't have them. I'm in long beach b

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Yes I took it in May 2013 and yes I passed. It does look easy on the video but it's not the case unless you're an athlete. You should practice. Where are you in California? Because if anyone is intersted I have the perfect place that has stairs and I have everything measured for the weights and I'm willing to go practice with you but you have to bring ur weights cause I don't have them. I'm in long beach b

I actually live in imperial valley.... N I have been running to get back in shape .... I am just worried about being able to carry the weights and not stop during the whole obstacle course ... During your test did any females pass ? What other tips can you give me to be able to do well on the PFT ... I'm super nervous !!! Do you know if we are allowed to time ourselves on a wristwatch to make sure we finish on time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

10 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: I actually live in imperial valley.... N I have been running to get back in shape .... I am just worried about being able to carry the weights and not stop during the whole obstacle course ... During your test did any females pass ? What other tips can you give me to be able to do well on the PFT ... I'm super nervous !!! Do you know if we are allowed to time ourselves on a wristwatch to make sure we finish on time

I'm a female and I passed. I saw some that didn't pass and I saw some that looked in shape not pass because of the weights. You need to find the same lbs weights and try to carry them for the distance required so u won't be taken by surprise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: I'm a female and I passed. I saw some that didn't pass and I saw some that looked in shape not pass because of the weights. You need to find the same lbs weights and try to carry them for the distance required so u won't be taken by surprise.

I couldnt find any dumbells that were 45lbs .. I only have a 45lb weight plate used for the bench press and holding just one of them is super heavy... do you think i will be okay with the running part if i have been doing it for at least 3 to 4 times a wk? and is the distance for carrying the weight long or is it a short distance going back and forth?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

10 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: I couldnt find any dumbells that were 45lbs .. I only have a 45lb weight plate used for the bench press and holding just one of them is super heavy... do you think i will be okay with the running part if i have been doing it for at least 3 to 4 times a wk? and is the distance for carrying the weight long or is it a short distance going back and forth?

Well u need two 45lbs so that makes it 90lbs more to ur own weight. The running part is not bad but the weights can slow u. And the distance on the weights is just like in the video at the website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

10 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Well u need two 45lbs so that makes it 90lbs more to ur own weight. The running part is not bad but the weights can slow u. And the distance on the weights is just like in the video at the website.

Maybe ill try carrying the weight plates to get an idea.....thanks for the advice/tips.. i really want to pass this PFT...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cmoss76 in Chico, California

9 months ago

I'm curious if the 500 yard run includes the yards that are weighted or are those on top of the 500?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

9 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: I'm curious if the 500 yard run includes the yards that are weighted or are those on top of the 500?

Its on top of the 500 yards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cmoss76 in Chico, California

9 months ago

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Jc10, Did you already have your PFT Test? Just wondering how it went if you did?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Jc10, Did you already have your PFT Test? Just wondering how it went if you did?

no i actually take mine on the 20th of this month.. Im pretty nervous... I just need to focus on the weights and just controlling my breaths when i run !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: no i actually take mine on the 20th of this month.. Im pretty nervous... I just need to focus on the weights and just controlling my breaths when i run !!!

Me too!! 11/20 I have it at 12:30

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Me too!! 11/20 I have it at 12:30

mine is at 2pm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Me too!! 11/20 I have it at 12:30

Good Luck !! have you been running? or practicing the weights

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: Good Luck !! have you been running? or practicing the weights

Good luck to you too!! Yes I have been running but just yesterday I started with the weights

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Good luck to you too!! Yes I have been running but just yesterday I started with the weights

Im hoping it isnt too hard...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Good luck to you too!! Yes I have been running but just yesterday I started with the weights

Did you time yourself? When I practiced for mine I would never make it on time but when I did it I did it at 4:39min. So don't worry too much just practice and you should be ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Did you time yourself? When I practiced for mine I would never make it on time but when I did it I did it at 4:39min. So don't worry too much just practice and you should be ok.

@Yess1976- Do you know if we are allowed to time ourselves with a wrist watch while we take the PFt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

9 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: @Yess1976- Do you know if we are allowed to time ourselves with a wrist watch while we take the PFt

I don't know....my boyfriend timed me the day of the test. Where is your going to be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: Im hoping it isnt too hard...

I know right but I'm going to take Yess1976 advise and start timing myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

Hi, Its really not that hard . When I took it I had to pedal a bike a keep it at a fairly high pace for (I think 5 min.) That was really the hardest part. Then they take your heart rate after a few minutes. If your heart rate is too high when they check it, you may not pass. Below is a trick I use to slow my heart beat . After that you pedal a mini bike with your hands for a few minutes keeping at a certain pace for a few min.,squeeze a device with each hand to test strength,& I think that's it. To me the hardest was the bike peddling.So here's a awesome trick!(you can freak people out with this too lol especially kids)
(This is important)While you're pedaling try to keep your breathing under control. Dont huff & puff if you can help it. That brings your heart rate up. Slow steady full breaths and exhaling at the same pace. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth .THEN...When you're done with your pedaling sit down, close your eyes and calm your breathing. Consintrate on your heart beat.visualize your heart inside you .You will feel its rhythm, Inside your mind match that pace by saying "Thump thump thump.... "(or what ever you use for a beat) a few times . Now feel your self pushing it slower, saying it just a little slower in your mind then slower and then slower. Think like a battery is dying on a moving toy .It feels weird at first cause your beat in your head is just a hair of from your real one but dont loose your concentration and visualization of your hear beat slowing down . It works great Practice doing this a few times a day. Start with just feeling and visualizing you regular heartbeat . Breath in through your nose big deep breaths & exhale through your mouth ,4 times fairly quickly. Now feel & visualize the beat. It's faster right? Now slow it down breath slower match the beat visualize,..you know the rest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

Now the ERS is different you to run an obstacle upstairs downstairs through cones in the the gym, out the back door , around the side bacto the front ,carry two weights , set (not slam)down the weights , pick up a dummy body , drag it to the finish. in under (I think) 6 minutes .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: Now the ERS is different you to run an obstacle upstairs downstairs through cones in the the gym, out the back door , around the side bacto the front ,carry two weights , set (not slam)down the weights , pick up a dummy body , drag it to the finish. in under (I think) 6 minutes .

Unless they changed the names of the tests . One is before you are hired Physical Fitness Test. and the other is at the academy towards the end Emergency Response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cmoss76 in Chico, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: Hi, Its really not that hard . When I took it I had to pedal a bike a keep...

When did you do this? This is the first I've heard of this still happening, I know that they did this a while ago, can someone who has taken it recently chime in here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: Unless they changed the names of the tests . One is before you are hired Physical Fitness Test. and the other is at the academy towards the end Emergency Response.

Oh yeah I should say , I did mine back when the academy was only 6 weeks long. It might be way different now, and yes I passed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Tracy, Thanks that really helps :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: Oh yeah I should say , I did mine back when the academy was only 6 weeks long. It might be way different now, and yes I passed

Yes the one you did its the old one now they don't do the bike one. What you call ERS now its called PFT. They have the video on their website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmoss76 in Chico, California

9 months ago

I don't think that what Tracy said is done anymore, there is no mention of it on the website. I am taking mine tomorrow and will report back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: When did you do this? This is the first I've heard of this still happening, I know that they did this a while ago, can someone who has taken it recently chime in here.

If you are in the academy already then the latter part is your test and it sounds like the same test. Someone said 5 minutes , I think thats right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

The first one I was talking about is done when they are hiring you. Part of the hiring process.The other is after you are hired and in the academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: Tracy, Thanks that really helps :)

No prob . did you try it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: I don't think that what Tracy said is done anymore, there is no mention of it on the website. I am taking mine tomorrow and will report back.

@cmoss76 Good Luck!! And keep us posted for us who still have some doubt about how the test will be like

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: No prob . did you try it?

I have my test in less than 2 weeks 11/20

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: No prob . did you try it?

Oh yeah dont wear any rings .It makes it harder to grip the dumb bells, because of the weight it pulls and pinches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: I have my test in less than 2 weeks 11/20

Good luck . You'll do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ajayme in El Centro, California

9 months ago

Tracy in Blythe, California said: Good luck . You'll do fine.

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Blythe, California

9 months ago

ajayme in El Centro, California said: I have my test in less than 2 weeks 11/20

I meant the breathing thing ,lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cmoss76 in Chico, California

9 months ago

The only thing you have to do is what is listed on the site which is the 500 yards, stairs, obstacles and weights and you have to complete it in 5 min. 35 sec, I just got home from it and there was no bike or heart rate monitoring. It's really easy, I didn't see anyone fail. They didn't tell us our time but I couldn't have been much more then 4 minutes and I'm a big guy but I'm in good shape. The only advice I can give is to not burn yourself out on the run, a jog will get you to the weights around 3.5 minutes, the weights really slowed some people down especially the smaller girls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

9 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: The only thing you have to do is what is listed on the site which is the 500 yards, stairs, obstacles and weights and you have to complete it in 5 min. 35 sec, I just got home from it and there was no bike or heart rate monitoring. It's really easy, I didn't see anyone fail. They didn't tell us our time but I couldn't have been much more then 4 minutes and I'm a big guy but I'm in good shape. The only advice I can give is to not burn yourself out on the run, a jog will get you to the weights around 3.5 minutes, the weights really slowed some people down especially the smaller girls.

Do we go in groups when we do the PFT or individually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.