Physical Fitness Test (PFT) CDCR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 112)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

cmoss76 in Chico, California

14 months ago

Long line of everyone then they send someone every 30 seconds. You can pass the person in front of you if you need to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jc10 in Heber, California

14 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: Long line of everyone then they send someone every 30 seconds. You can pass the person in front of you if you need to.

Do they have enough weights for each runner? What happens if someone is using the weights you need ? Do you have to wait for them? I

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Jc10 in Heber, California said: Do they have enough weights for each runner? What happens if someone is using the weights you need ? Do you have to wait for them? I

They have like 4 sets for each weight group so you won't run into any problems. Unless 3 people in front of you are dreadfully slow and at that point I'm sure would be told they don't have a chance and to get out of the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com

14 months ago

I also have my PFT on 11/20 at 12:30p.m. Yess76 I live in paramount can you tell me what location would be perfect to practice?

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com

14 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Yes I took it in May 2013 and yes I passed. It does look easy on the video but it's not the case unless you're an athlete. You should practice. Where are you in California? Because if anyone is intersted I have the perfect place that has stairs and I have everything measured for the weights and I'm willing to go practice with you but you have to bring ur weights cause I don't have them. I'm in long beach b

Hi Yess76 I also have my test on 11/20 at 12:30p.m. and would like to know the perfect location that you have so I can go practice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

14 months ago

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com said: Hi Yess76 I also have my test on 11/20 at 12:30p.m. and would like to know the perfect location that you have so I can go practice?

I'm in long beach and I go to the beach. I'm willing to go with u. But u need to bring ur own weights, the ones I had used were just borrowed.

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com

14 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: I'm in long beach and I go to the beach. I'm willing to go with u. But u need to bring ur own weights, the ones I had used were just borrowed.

Perfect do you know where I can buy 45lbs weights I have looked for some but I've had no luck. When do you have time?

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California

14 months ago

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com said: Perfect do you know where I can buy 45lbs weights I have looked for some but I've had no luck. When do you have time?

Big 5 has them. I'm available after work in the evenings. Email me yessi1976@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Letty4 in Paramount, California

14 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Big 5 has them. I'm available after work in the evenings. Email me yessi1976@yahoo.com

Got it I will email you right now..

Jc10 in Heber, California

14 months ago

Hey do you guys know when we need the paperwork for the visions test? Do we need to bring that paper at the pft or it's needed on another portion of the hiring process ?

EasyDoesIt! in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

mike in Los Angeles, California said: Its easy they have you run and then you yump over blocks and then you up to a 2story building stair u go up and down the stair then you get out the building and there will be some dumb bells hat you have to carry

Hi! I'm taking my PFT tomorrow, just wondering if the weights are exactly how they look in the video. The weights seem like they have another bar at the top, which are easier to hold and run with. Regular dumbbells just have the bar in the middle but the ones in the video have another bar at the top...

EasyDoesIt! in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

cmoss76 in Chico, California said: They have like 4 sets for each weight group so you won't run into any problems. Unless 3 people in front of you are dreadfully slow and at that point I'm sure would be told they don't have a chance and to get out of the way.

Hi! I'm taking my PFT tomorrow, just wondering if the weights are exactly how they look in the video. The weights seem like they have another bar at the top, which are easier to hold and run with. Regular dumbbells just have the bar in the middle but the ones in the video have another bar at the top...

14 months ago

They are exactly the same, they are regular dumb bells with a metal bar welded to the top of them. That was in Galt though I'm not sure if you are testing at the same facility since you are down in SoCal. Good Luck! It's fairly easy if you are in any sort of decent shape you should be fine, just pace yourself on the run and save some energy for the weights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arod75 in Fontana, California

14 months ago

EasyDoesIt! in Los Angeles, California said: Hi! I'm taking my PFT tomorrow, just wondering if the weights are exactly how they look in the video. The weights seem like they have another bar at the top, which are easier to hold and run with. Regular dumbbells just have the bar in the middle but the ones in the video have another bar at the top...

I'm probly too late to answer but the weights r actually kettle bells...

So it's kinda easier to hold...

EasyDoesIt! in Indio, California

14 months ago

Arod75 in Fontana, California said: I'm probly too late to answer but the weights r actually kettle bells...

So it's kinda easier to hold...

Yeah just a bit, thanks though took it 11/20.. & you're right kettle balls were easier to grip than dumbbells..

chaotic in Ontario, California

14 months ago

How did everyone do ? Was it super hard ? Or easier then you expected?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in South Gate, California

14 months ago

lettygonzalez4@yahoo.com said: I also have my PFT on 11/20 at 12:30p.m. Yess76 I live in paramount can you tell me what location would be perfect to practice?

How was it? Did you pass it?

cryssam in Chowchilla, California

13 months ago

I am female 5'3 135 pds 35 yrs old, I clean houses for a living so I am active daily and run occasionally,started running a few mths ago to prepare for the pft. I have small hands and wrists,my legs are probably stronger than my upper body. I took the PFT a week ago and failed basically because of the 45 pd kettle bells,they are very heavy if your small and not used to carrying weight that way, remember all the weight is pulling straight down and after running it may seem heavier + the anxiety/nervousness you may have, the distance is 50 yards for the 45's, I was on my way back when my hands started to sweat and I could no longer maintain grip and that's where the trouble started, the kettle bell handles are smooth metal and fat if you have small hands so I would definitely start practicing carrying 45 weights the same way, you are only allowed to hold them down at your sides, you can switch hands when you are just doing the one. I recommend gloves as well just in case your hands get sweaty that was not something I expected and It really sucked and made it almost impossible for me although there was other small girls that made it so I'm sure the upper body strength was an issue because i did not train with free weights I have a flex rod weight machine very different in the way the weight will be distributed so better to be safe than sorry! I plan on wearing a small rubber watch band next time but Im going to up my running and start using dumbbells several days a week and simulate the course the best I can so I will pass next time, failing sucked! But there was A LOT of people that failed, (several passed too), but don't take it too lightly.

cdcrhopefull in Bakersfield, California

13 months ago

cryssam in Chowchilla, California said: I am female 5'3 135 pds 35 yrs old, I clean houses for a living so I am active daily and run occasionally,started running a few mths ago to prepare for the pft. I have small hands and wrists,my legs are probably stronger than my upper body. I took the PFT a week ago and failed basically because of the 45 pd kettle bells,they are very heavy if your small and not used to carrying weight that way, remember all the weight is pulling straight down and after running it may seem heavier + the anxiety/nervousness you may have, the distance is 50 yards for the 45's, I was on my way back when my hands started to sweat and I could no longer maintain grip and that's where the trouble started, the kettle bell handles are smooth metal and fat if you have small hands so I would definitely start practicing carrying 45 weights the same way, you are only allowed to hold them down at your sides, you can switch hands when you are just doing the one. I recommend gloves as well just in case your hands get sweaty that was not something I expected and It really sucked and made it almost impossible for me although there was other small girls that made it so I'm sure the upper body strength was an issue because i did not train with free weights I have a flex rod weight machine very different in the way the weight will be distributed so better to be safe than sorry! I plan on wearing a small rubber watch band next time but Im going to up my running and start using dumbbells several days a week and simulate the course the best I can so I will pass next time, failing sucked! But there was A LOT of people that failed, (several passed too), but don't take it too lightly.

Hey Cryssam,

To help strengthen you hands mix up your training with hold 45 pound plates and walking with them. It will increase your finger strength. I am sure you will pass the next time around.

cryssam in Chowchilla, California

13 months ago

:) Thank you I appreciate the response/help, I got some dumbbells for now and I noticed that's where my biggest weakness was, at my fingers/hands so I definitely will be working on that, Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Passed my pft yesterday! :)

Cdcrhopefull in Bakersfield, California

13 months ago

chaotic in Ontario, California said: Passed my pft yesterday! :)

Good job. Easier then you thought?

13 months ago

Yes it was easier then I thought but still tough. It was fun and everyone was encouraging.

13 months ago

Oh.. fyi no gloves allowed while doing pft.

onfriday in Westwood, California

12 months ago

Thanks for every ones help. Passed did and live scan on the 10th, passed pft on the 11th.

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California

11 months ago

I am taking the PFT on Sat 2/8 in Galt. It is supposed to be raining. I was just wondering if they will cancel or let us wear gloves so the weights aren't slippery? I am nervous about the test already and the rain will work against me I'm sure.

Cdcrhopefull in Bakersfield, California

11 months ago

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California said: I am taking the PFT on Sat 2/8 in Galt. It is supposed to be raining. I was just wondering if they will cancel or let us wear gloves so the weights aren't slippery? I am nervous about the test already and the rain will work against me I'm sure.

When I did mine it was 30 degs and foggy. No gloves where allowed. Our kettle bells had rubber handles. If is raining it won't matter by the time you get to the weights you will be nice and sweaty so your hand will be wet any way.

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California

11 months ago

Cdcrhopefull in Bakersfield, California said: When I did mine it was 30 degs and foggy. No gloves where allowed. Our kettle bells had rubber handles. If is raining it won't matter by the time you get to the weights you will be nice and sweaty so your hand will be wet any way.

Ok, thanks. I am just worried I wont pass. I am not over weight, but I don't work out or run on a regular basis. I have heard a lot of people saying that most people fail unless they are active and fit already. I will just do my best and see what happens. I asked my dad (a C/O) about the PFT and he said he didn't do his PFT until the end of the academy.

Cdcrhopefull in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California said: Ok, thanks. I am just worried I wont pass. I am not over weight, but I don't work out or run on a regular basis. I have heard a lot of people saying that most people fail unless they are active and fit already. I will just do my best and see what happens. I asked my dad (a C/O) about the PFT and he said he didn't do his PFT until the end of the academy.

Regardless of weather. You are either able to pass or not. If you can run a quarter mile in 2 minutes you should be okay. I saw a 50 plus year old guy pass so you can do it if you really want it. If you have not been working out you might be in trouble. Good luck and stay training.

c.mccoy26 in Stockton, California

10 months ago

I take my pft april15th at the women's facility are there any ladies training in the Stockton area

logan m in Queen Creek, Arizona

10 months ago

Anyone take the physical in arizona and what was that like?

Garland81 in Los Angeles, California

10 months ago

I take my pft on the 9th of April I'm 6'2 260 but been running a lot I run/walk a mile in 13 min hope that's good enough for the pft good luck everyone

Boliver in Stockton, California

9 months ago

c.mccoy26 in Stockton, California said: I take my pft april15th at the women's facility are there any ladies training in the Stockton area

Hello I am taking mine too. I'm a bit worried, I am a small woman that has small hands. I been carrying weights at the gym and I'm doing ok with them. Just worried about my running.. Where do you train?

Philc2104 in Vallej, California

9 months ago

I just received an email saying they accepted my application. Worried about the PFT, anyone in the bay area recently pass this test? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Robert0757 in sacramento, California

9 months ago

Philc2104 in Vallej, California said: I just received an email saying they accepted my application. Worried about the PFT, anyone in the bay area recently pass this test? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

There is a video of the actual test on the CDCR website. It gives the distances, weights, steps etc.

Kokopuffs in California

9 months ago

For the people who are about to do the PFT. Go to the gym, grab two 45 dumbells and go to their fitness room where nobody is at. Run wall to wall 10 times and then 5 times with dumbells.if you can do it, then you will pass. I beat the guy in front if me :) haha.

Shell5 in Corona, California

9 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Yes I took it in May 2013 and yes I passed. It does look easy on the video but it's not the case unless you're an athlete. You should practice. Where are you in California? Because if anyone is intersted I have the perfect place that has stairs and I have everything measured for the weights and I'm willing to go practice with you but you have to bring ur weights cause I don't have them. I'm in long beach b

Hello!
I would love to come practice with you!
I take my PFT on May 21st in Ontario. If you're interested please email me......geminishell619@yahoo.com
Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KC213 in Los Angeles, California

8 months ago

Anyone else doing the PFT on 5/21? I have mine at 10:00 AM. I run/walk/hike and run with weights sometimes. I did the physical back in 2008 and failed at the last component (young and dumb). I am at it again. Anyone else? I'm from Southern California going to Ontario, CA!

PFTGreenLined in San Diego, California

8 months ago

For those stressing about the PFT... Don't. If you are somewhat in shape and can lift some weights and jog with them a short distance u are good. I took my PFT on 5/21 (Today) and passed with flying colors! You check-in when you get there, you get a numbered bib for the order you will be going, they line you up in numerical order of bib... every 30 seconds they send someone to begin the course... it consists of 1) Up/Down a flight of stairs, 2) Run/jog to a 7 cone mini obstacle with a few stepping boxes to hop over, 3) Continue running/jogging (or is it pronounced yogging?...) the course around a few more cones to total 500 yds, 4) You reach the weights where first you pick up 2-45lb wights carry them to cone #1 (60yds total), 1-45lb weight (75yds total), 1-35lb weight (110yds total)... Annnnnd you're done! At the end you either get Green Lined (Pass) or Red Lined (Fail) mark on your bib... If you get Red Lined you are seriously out of shape... seriously. You get a total of 5 min 35 sec to do this course... Im sure I can do it again in my sleep. I'd say the hardest part of the whole thing is the weights... in the group in front of ours I saw 2 people fail the weights guy and girl because they were overweight and too tired when they got to the weights and walked instead of ran with the weights... If I can give one thing of advice is RUN with the weights no matter how tired you are... Just keep RUNNING! Additionally, every 30 seconds they send off a new person to begin the course however if the person in front of you is slow you can pass them up! you can pass up as many people as you want if u have the speed. Once again it's easy peezy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RAI415 in San Francisco, California

8 months ago

Just passed the PFT. It was super easy. Next step is live scan fingerprinting. Does anyone know what else they do for the live scan fingerprinting in Sacramento? I'm thinking I might talk to a background investigator but not sure.

pooh honey in Fair Oaks, California

8 months ago

Kokopuffs in California said: For the people who are about to do the PFT. Go to the gym, grab two 45 dumbells and go to their fitness room where nobody is at. Run wall to wall 10 times and then 5 times with dumbells.if you can do it, then you will pass. I beat the guy in front if me :) haha.

do you have any other advice? were the stairs hard? did you jog or sprint?

Ladyinwaiting6 in Hawthorne, California

7 months ago

Just an Up date, I was so worried abut the PFT I took mines Yesterday in SO Cal and passed with no worries. I worked out about 5x prior to actually taking it. I was worried that I would not beable to handle the weights. The course was alot easier then I thought being im only 118lbs and 5'3. I do not consider myself in shape just a small frame. Running has never been an issue but when i practiced with those Weights I knew it would take everything out of me to get them up and run with them. I dont know what my time was but the Lt did not tell me to hurry or give me a warning about time so i must have been in reason. I was number 9 and everyone passed before me and it was one other girl prior too me. Probably about 50 total. Dont worry about the stairs they really are not bad and you can use the rail if you need to hold on for stability. Pace yourself on the Jog save your most energy for the weights if thats what you struggle with. Most Guys were in and out from what I noticed. Few big guys got called to hurry but they both passed. Run a mile a day, and practice with the 2 45lbs weights for 60ft and you will be fine. Really its alot easier when doing it. Good luck. I have live scan on 07/24.

Ladyinwaiting6 in Hawthorne, California

7 months ago

@ KC I got DQ in 2006 for being young and dumb too and now im back at it. We got this, this time around. Dream Chaser.

7 months ago

Hey!! So will a good jog make the time? I have mine next month and I'm a little worried.. I currently practice the weights so I think I will be fine with that.. The running part is what makes me nervous

benjr65 in Crescent City, California

7 months ago

pooh honey in Fair Oaks, California said: Hey!! So will a good jog make the time? I have mine next month and I'm a little worried.. I currently practice the weights so I think I will be fine with that.. The running part is what makes me nervous

if you can double time for 4 mins, you will get it no prob.
Im 290 lbs, some belly/mostly muscle but I did a 5k program 3 months leading up to the pft, I measured at the track at our local school and practiced with weights.
I actually way over trained for it. I finished right at 4 min mark ( a guy 2 ppl ahead of me had a watch and was keeping time for ppl.) As I crossed the line, I had yet to break out in a sweat. my advice to you is train to run as fast as you can for the 500 yards, and use the 2/45lb weight leg to catch your breath and finish out at a good jog with last 2 weight legs. but each person is different so figure out before you get there what is going to work best for you.

there were several ppl ( mostly females, sorry ladies) who didn't pass....the guys who didn't , couldn't even jog the 500 and the females had probs with the weights. There was a few incidents in the first group, someone hurt their shoulder on the stairs and someone else had a asthma attack midway thru. so we got delayed while EMS showed up......we waited for 30 mins at the freaking start line, stressing out. most of us passed though.

hope this helps!

7 months ago

Thank you so much!! :-)

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California

6 months ago

Anyone taking it in Fresno on 8/11? I'm in Bakersfield and would love a partner to practice with!

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California

5 months ago

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California said: Anyone taking it in Fresno on 8/11? I'm in Bakersfield and would love a partner to practice with!

I've been training for the physical at my gym. I go to bodyxchange. Do you have a membership?

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California

5 months ago

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California said: I've been training for the physical at my gym. I go to bodyxchange. Do you have a membership?

I don't :/ unfortunately I can't afford one so I've been using a 30 day crossfit for beginner plan..no equipment needed... I am really worried about having the stamina to get through the running. I know I have the strength for the weights, but at 34, it's been awhile since I've had to run for time haha. When is your test?

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California

5 months ago

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California said: I don't :/ unfortunately I can't afford one so I've been using a 30 day crossfit for beginner plan..no equipment needed... I am really worried about having the stamina to get through the running. I know I have the strength for the weights, but at 34, it's been awhile since I've had to run for time haha. When is your test?

everything I've read on here says most girls fail at the weights. as long as you can jog with those weights I think you'll be good. I have my written on Friday. I'm not worried about passing that. My friends husband just took his written and they gave him the results immediately and scheduled his physical test 2 weeks later so that's why I've really been in the gym every day. I'm worried about the weights :( I'm only 22.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.