Physical Fitness Test (PFT) CDCR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 95 of 95)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California

27 months ago

Cdcrhopefull in Bakersfield, California said: When I did mine it was 30 degs and foggy. No gloves where allowed. Our kettle bells had rubber handles. If is raining it won't matter by the time you get to the weights you will be nice and sweaty so your hand will be wet any way.

Ok, thanks. I am just worried I wont pass. I am not over weight, but I don't work out or run on a regular basis. I have heard a lot of people saying that most people fail unless they are active and fit already. I will just do my best and see what happens. I asked my dad (a C/O) about the PFT and he said he didn't do his PFT until the end of the academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cdcrhopefull in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

Jessica828497 in Sacramento, California said: Ok, thanks. I am just worried I wont pass. I am not over weight, but I don't work out or run on a regular basis. I have heard a lot of people saying that most people fail unless they are active and fit already. I will just do my best and see what happens. I asked my dad (a C/O) about the PFT and he said he didn't do his PFT until the end of the academy.

Regardless of weather. You are either able to pass or not. If you can run a quarter mile in 2 minutes you should be okay. I saw a 50 plus year old guy pass so you can do it if you really want it. If you have not been working out you might be in trouble. Good luck and stay training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

c.mccoy26 in Stockton, California

25 months ago

I take my pft april15th at the women's facility are there any ladies training in the Stockton area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

logan m in Queen Creek, Arizona

25 months ago

Anyone take the physical in arizona and what was that like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Garland81 in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

I take my pft on the 9th of April I'm 6'2 260 but been running a lot I run/walk a mile in 13 min hope that's good enough for the pft good luck everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Boliver in Stockton, California

25 months ago

c.mccoy26 in Stockton, California said: I take my pft april15th at the women's facility are there any ladies training in the Stockton area

Hello I am taking mine too. I'm a bit worried, I am a small woman that has small hands. I been carrying weights at the gym and I'm doing ok with them. Just worried about my running.. Where do you train?

philc2104 in Vallej, California

24 months ago

I just received an email saying they accepted my application. Worried about the PFT, anyone in the bay area recently pass this test? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Robert0757 in sacramento, California

24 months ago

Philc2104 in Vallej, California said: I just received an email saying they accepted my application. Worried about the PFT, anyone in the bay area recently pass this test? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

There is a video of the actual test on the CDCR website. It gives the distances, weights, steps etc.

Kokopuffs in California

24 months ago

For the people who are about to do the PFT. Go to the gym, grab two 45 dumbells and go to their fitness room where nobody is at. Run wall to wall 10 times and then 5 times with dumbells.if you can do it, then you will pass. I beat the guy in front if me :) haha.

Shell5 in Corona, California

24 months ago

Yess1976 in Long Beach, California said: Yes I took it in May 2013 and yes I passed. It does look easy on the video but it's not the case unless you're an athlete. You should practice. Where are you in California? Because if anyone is intersted I have the perfect place that has stairs and I have everything measured for the weights and I'm willing to go practice with you but you have to bring ur weights cause I don't have them. I'm in long beach b

Hello!
I would love to come practice with you!
I take my PFT on May 21st in Ontario. If you're interested please email me......geminishell619@yahoo.com
Thanks!!!

KC213 in Los Angeles, California

23 months ago

Anyone else doing the PFT on 5/21? I have mine at 10:00 AM. I run/walk/hike and run with weights sometimes. I did the physical back in 2008 and failed at the last component (young and dumb). I am at it again. Anyone else? I'm from Southern California going to Ontario, CA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PFTGreenLined in San Diego, California

23 months ago

For those stressing about the PFT... Don't. If you are somewhat in shape and can lift some weights and jog with them a short distance u are good. I took my PFT on 5/21 (Today) and passed with flying colors! You check-in when you get there, you get a numbered bib for the order you will be going, they line you up in numerical order of bib... every 30 seconds they send someone to begin the course... it consists of 1) Up/Down a flight of stairs, 2) Run/jog to a 7 cone mini obstacle with a few stepping boxes to hop over, 3) Continue running/jogging (or is it pronounced yogging?...) the course around a few more cones to total 500 yds, 4) You reach the weights where first you pick up 2-45lb wights carry them to cone #1 (60yds total), 1-45lb weight (75yds total), 1-35lb weight (110yds total)... Annnnnd you're done! At the end you either get Green Lined (Pass) or Red Lined (Fail) mark on your bib... If you get Red Lined you are seriously out of shape... seriously. You get a total of 5 min 35 sec to do this course... Im sure I can do it again in my sleep. I'd say the hardest part of the whole thing is the weights... in the group in front of ours I saw 2 people fail the weights guy and girl because they were overweight and too tired when they got to the weights and walked instead of ran with the weights... If I can give one thing of advice is RUN with the weights no matter how tired you are... Just keep RUNNING! Additionally, every 30 seconds they send off a new person to begin the course however if the person in front of you is slow you can pass them up! you can pass up as many people as you want if u have the speed. Once again it's easy peezy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rai415 in San Francisco, California

23 months ago

Just passed the PFT. It was super easy. Next step is live scan fingerprinting. Does anyone know what else they do for the live scan fingerprinting in Sacramento? I'm thinking I might talk to a background investigator but not sure.

poohhoney in Fair Oaks, California

23 months ago

Kokopuffs in California said: For the people who are about to do the PFT. Go to the gym, grab two 45 dumbells and go to their fitness room where nobody is at. Run wall to wall 10 times and then 5 times with dumbells.if you can do it, then you will pass. I beat the guy in front if me :) haha.

do you have any other advice? were the stairs hard? did you jog or sprint?

Ladyinwaiting6 in Hawthorne, California

22 months ago

Just an Up date, I was so worried abut the PFT I took mines Yesterday in SO Cal and passed with no worries. I worked out about 5x prior to actually taking it. I was worried that I would not beable to handle the weights. The course was alot easier then I thought being im only 118lbs and 5'3. I do not consider myself in shape just a small frame. Running has never been an issue but when i practiced with those Weights I knew it would take everything out of me to get them up and run with them. I dont know what my time was but the Lt did not tell me to hurry or give me a warning about time so i must have been in reason. I was number 9 and everyone passed before me and it was one other girl prior too me. Probably about 50 total. Dont worry about the stairs they really are not bad and you can use the rail if you need to hold on for stability. Pace yourself on the Jog save your most energy for the weights if thats what you struggle with. Most Guys were in and out from what I noticed. Few big guys got called to hurry but they both passed. Run a mile a day, and practice with the 2 45lbs weights for 60ft and you will be fine. Really its alot easier when doing it. Good luck. I have live scan on 07/24.

Ladyinwaiting6 in Hawthorne, California

22 months ago

@ KC I got DQ in 2006 for being young and dumb too and now im back at it. We got this, this time around. Dream Chaser.

22 months ago

Hey!! So will a good jog make the time? I have mine next month and I'm a little worried.. I currently practice the weights so I think I will be fine with that.. The running part is what makes me nervous

benjr65 in Crescent City, California

22 months ago

pooh honey in Fair Oaks, California said: Hey!! So will a good jog make the time? I have mine next month and I'm a little worried.. I currently practice the weights so I think I will be fine with that.. The running part is what makes me nervous

if you can double time for 4 mins, you will get it no prob.
Im 290 lbs, some belly/mostly muscle but I did a 5k program 3 months leading up to the pft, I measured at the track at our local school and practiced with weights.
I actually way over trained for it. I finished right at 4 min mark ( a guy 2 ppl ahead of me had a watch and was keeping time for ppl.) As I crossed the line, I had yet to break out in a sweat. my advice to you is train to run as fast as you can for the 500 yards, and use the 2/45lb weight leg to catch your breath and finish out at a good jog with last 2 weight legs. but each person is different so figure out before you get there what is going to work best for you.

there were several ppl ( mostly females, sorry ladies) who didn't pass....the guys who didn't , couldn't even jog the 500 and the females had probs with the weights. There was a few incidents in the first group, someone hurt their shoulder on the stairs and someone else had a asthma attack midway thru. so we got delayed while EMS showed up......we waited for 30 mins at the freaking start line, stressing out. most of us passed though.

hope this helps!

22 months ago

Thank you so much!! :-)

sarahdh in Bakersfield, California

21 months ago

Anyone taking it in Fresno on 8/11? I'm in Bakersfield and would love a partner to practice with!

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California

21 months ago

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California said: Anyone taking it in Fresno on 8/11? I'm in Bakersfield and would love a partner to practice with!

I've been training for the physical at my gym. I go to bodyxchange. Do you have a membership?

21 months ago

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California said: I've been training for the physical at my gym. I go to bodyxchange. Do you have a membership?

I don't :/ unfortunately I can't afford one so I've been using a 30 day crossfit for beginner plan..no equipment needed... I am really worried about having the stamina to get through the running. I know I have the strength for the weights, but at 34, it's been awhile since I've had to run for time haha. When is your test?

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California

21 months ago

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California said: I don't :/ unfortunately I can't afford one so I've been using a 30 day crossfit for beginner plan..no equipment needed... I am really worried about having the stamina to get through the running. I know I have the strength for the weights, but at 34, it's been awhile since I've had to run for time haha. When is your test?

everything I've read on here says most girls fail at the weights. as long as you can jog with those weights I think you'll be good. I have my written on Friday. I'm not worried about passing that. My friends husband just took his written and they gave him the results immediately and scheduled his physical test 2 weeks later so that's why I've really been in the gym every day. I'm worried about the weights :( I'm only 22.

christee in Bakersfield, California

21 months ago

SarahDH in Bakersfield, California said: I don't :/ unfortunately I can't afford one so I've been using a 30 day crossfit for beginner plan..no equipment needed... I am really worried about having the stamina to get through the running. I know I have the strength for the weights, but at 34, it's been awhile since I've had to run for time haha. When is your test?

Hi Sarah, im in bakersfield too. Email me at glittersavvy@bak.rr.com and ill let you know what i did and where to practice. I took it in march and i passed no problem and i wasnt/still am not a runner.

christee in Bakersfield, California

21 months ago

taylorsomething in bakersfield, California said: everything I've read on here says most girls fail at the weights. as long as you can jog with those weights I think you'll be good. I have my written on Friday. I'm not worried about passing that. My friends husband just took his written and they gave him the results immediately and scheduled his physical test 2 weeks later so that's why I've really been in the gym every day. I'm worried about the weights :( I'm only 22.

Hi Taylor, I'm from bakersfield too and took the PFT in march. You can email me at glittersavvy@bak.rr.com and ill let you know what i did and where I went to practice.

21 months ago

Today is my PFT at 2 pm ... Aaaaah ! Send good vibes my way pretty please!

rai415 in San Francisco, California

20 months ago

You will be fine. It's not that bad. I've seen way out of shape people pass. Waiting for a background investigator is the hard part. It's been over two months since my live scan fingerprinting. No background investigator yet. :(

yhadira barajas in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

I NEED HELP I WILL BE TTAKING IT NEXT WEEK IN RANCHO CUCAMONGA.. WHO EVER HELP ME.

kc213 in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

yhadira barajas in Los Angeles, California said: I NEED HELP I WILL BE TTAKING IT NEXT WEEK IN RANCHO CUCAMONGA.. WHO EVER HELP ME.

It's running up the stairs, around a few cones, running around the parking lot and at the end, running with weights (which weight at 30, 45 and 90). When I was there about a few months ago, I only saw 3 peoples not pass. But I mean, if you are a runner and work out, you are MORE than fine.

HotrodLiberty in Reno, Nevada

19 months ago

yhadira barajas in Los Angeles, California said: I NEED HELP I WILL BE TTAKING IT NEXT WEEK IN RANCHO CUCAMONGA.. WHO EVER HELP ME.

I am 37 years old, not in the best of shape. I have sat behind a desk for 12 years! In high school I was in a lot better shape but that was 20 years ago. I did the PFT in Sacramento at the beginning of May and did it no problems. I was a little worried because I was the first one in line; they sent us out every 30 seconds. I thought for sure I was going to be passed up but I stayed ahead of everyone.

yhadira barajas in Corona, California

18 months ago

Thank you!! I just took it today at 815am and I passed. I was very corcerned because of the 90lbs but I did fine. I was really doubting myself in my group there were only 5 girls and I was the smallest one. Im 5'3 and 130lbs, but luckily I pushed through it. I have my live scan on November 4, southern division

jo2014 in Watsonville, California

18 months ago

What paperwork should i present besides the phs? And does my phs need to be notified?

jam32 in Fontana, California

18 months ago

jo2014 in Watsonville, California said: What paperwork should i present besides the phs? And does my phs need to be notified?

All the documents you need to turn in are on the first page of the PHS (make sure you are reading everything thoroughly):

Please submit the following documents along with the Personal History Statement:

o Certified United States Birth Certificate or Original Naturalization Certificate
o Documents reflecting any name changes from your Birth Certificate. This includes marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court adoption documents, etc.
o Certified and Sealed High School Transcripts or Certified proof of GED or passing California
High School Proficiency exam
o Certified and Sealed College Transcripts from any colleges or universities attended.
o DD214 Military Discharge documents (Member 4, long form) if you served in the Military.
o Copy of current/valid automobile insurance
o Current (dated within 30 days of turning in documents) Credit Report from one of the following:
 Experian
 Equifax
 Transunion
o Professional License or Credential (if applicable to position)

The PHS does need to be notarized. You can take it into your bank and see if they have notary service. If you have Chase they do it and its free of charge. If you can not get some of those documents you will be issued 15 days to do so. I hope this helps you out.

17 months ago

I have mine tomorrow 11-17-14 at 12:30 in fresno. Does anyone know how hard its going to be

Vin1936Int in Salinas, California

17 months ago

jo2014 in Watsonville, California said: I have mine tomorrow 11-17-14 at 12:30 in fresno. Does anyone know how hard its going to be

I had mine today also. Did you pass? I passed and was stressed out over nothing, easier than I thought.

Dolly in Temple City, California

13 months ago

Are you allowed to use gloves when carrying the weights?

13 months ago

Nope

tremar in San Diego

9 months ago

Are you allowed to set down weights on ground before the yard mark or will that disqualify you?

sacjr in Sac, California

9 months ago

TreMar in San Diego said: Are you allowed to set down weights on ground before the yard mark or will that disqualify you?

It will DQ you so don't set/drop them before the line!!

Mommymisfit in California

7 months ago

I'm confused on the course. Is it 500 yards total including run and weights or is it 500 yards running and then the additional yards with the weights? I've been practicing but need to know if I'm doing it right so I can cut my time if I need to. Thanks!!

tremar in San Diego

7 months ago

500 yards total

7 months ago

TreMar in San Diego said: 500 yards total

It is NOT 500 yards total, it is 500 yards then the weights.
I am currently at the academy and we think they actually made it longer cause everyone's time from the test in the application process got worse.

7 months ago

benjr65 in Crescent City, California said: It is NOT 500 yards total, it is 500 yards then the weights.
I am currently at the academy and we think they actually made it longer cause everyone's time from the test in the application process got worse.[/QUOTE

Did they change if for the initial pft or for the academy? When did you take it? Someone who took the pft 2 months ago said it was 500 total also

7 months ago

Mommymisfit in California said:

www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/docs/Physical_Fitness_Test_Description_Information.pdf

It is longer than 500. One lap is 440 . Once you run the test you will see it is longer than 500, for the application the time limit is 5:35, at the academy is 5:05. Our company's fastest time was 3:22. And they were full sprint entire time.

7 months ago

benjr65 in Crescent City, California said: www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/docs/Physical_Fitness_Test_Description_Information.pdf

It is longer than 500. One lap is 440 . Once you run the test you will see it is longer than 500, for the application the time limit is 5:35, at the academy is 5:05. Our company's fastest time was 3:22. And they were full sprint entire time.

So I called the testing place this morning in Fresno and the woman said it is a total of 500 yards. Maybe the change is just for the academy? Thanks for the info you have though.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.