Should I pay to attend a County Corrections Program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Joe in Vallejo, California

66 months ago

Two questions:

Is it meaningless to enter a "County" Corrections Program (not a State academy program) that is 2 months in length and will it raise my points/credentials to make me more eligible for a state written test? Or accepted, period. The program will cost about $400. Here's the link to the program: www.nvccjtc.org/nvccorrections.html

The 2 month course includes:
- PC832 (40 hrs Laws of Arrest – Non firearms)
- Codes, Statutes & other Legal Documents,
- Booking/Receiving/Releasing,
- Supervision of Inmates,
- Managing Inmate Workers,
- Emergency Procedures and
- Physical Training / Lifetime Fitness

And will my up-and-down job history effect my acceptance for a State CO career?

Any help will be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Vallejo, California

66 months ago

**bump**

santos in Elk Grove, California

54 months ago

u should check in with customer service first. I know forsure that PC 832 course is gonna help but not sure about the rest. The up and down job history shouldnt; unless you were fired lots of times. but who knows just be honest.

Matt in Menlo Park, California

53 months ago

It would not help. Background standards are thorough and you must have some kind of work history. I do backgrounds for recruits for Santa Clara County D.O.C. and I have DQ many applicants who can not stay committed to one employer to get a thorough evaluation of work ethics etc... I even DQ CO's from CDCR with experinence for various reasons. So just having the Academy is one thing but we are looking for the entire package when it comes to backgrounds.

DRUMMER07 in San Jose, California

30 months ago

Matt in Menlo Park, California said: It would not help. Background standards are thorough and you must have some kind of work history. I do backgrounds for recruits for Santa Clara County D.O.C. and I have DQ many applicants who can not stay committed to one employer to get a thorough evaluation of work ethics etc... I even DQ CO's from CDCR with experinence for various reasons. So just having the Academy is one thing but we are looking for the entire package when it comes to backgrounds.

I was wondering how much credit goes with being DQ'd for SCC DOC? Im in the application process now. Thanks!

J-W- in DC, District of Columbia

24 months ago

It surely wouldn't hurt. It could help. If you don't have a college degree, I would consider trying to get one. It can help with promotions during your career. When agencies are hiring, they usually have many qualified applicants for a relatively small number of open positions. Any red flags can hurt your chances of getting hired. Having a bad work history can hurt your chances of getting hired, but that doesn't mean you won't be hired. Getting law enforcement officer or peace officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can.

Source(s):
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.