Tips for corrections officer interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 237 of 237)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

ccurry in mayslanding nj

53 months ago

Please help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

habr0403 in Burnsville, Minnesota

53 months ago

starlajj in Olympia, Washington said: Mahalo,
I'm from Olympia Washington and I just posted a comment on something about my DUI i had 4 years ago. I am trying to get a Correctional Officer position, and was wondering will that lower my chances in getting in? I have quit alcohol COMPLETELY after that. You response is greatly appreciated. ( i'm from the big island! and boy do i miss it! )
Thanks!

I know in MN it would be difficult. Did you get a position. At our county jail, we did not hire a corrections officer who had a DUI 7 years ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kkoshy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming corrections officer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

what are your prejudices?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

verminater in Lexington, Kentucky

51 months ago

Gamer1612 in Morehead, Kentucky said: Well, I didnt get the job. They will be hiring again in a month so hopefully I can get on then.

what ever you do dont go to work at blackburn in lexington ky they will stab you in the back in a heartbeat i used to work there an d i trusted the inmates more than the so called officers i seen so much crap i should have took detailed notes on everything i seen if they gave a polygragh to all the employees most of them would wind up locked up in there too.To this day i can not get a decent job and when i do they call blackburn and i get fired i have literly been pushed out the doors of places i applied for you can not go against someone high up that works for the government all i can say is stay away from there they dont pay that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Val in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

51 months ago

Hey, everybody. Just red all of yours suggestions for the oral board interview for CO. I have mine on nov. 16.I have purchased that book for oral board with all the tips and tricks u can face during the interview. Just like someone already mentioned do not respond to any call where more than one inmate is involved without an assistance. And answer each question the way u think is right, again the way u think is right. Oral board understand that u are nervous and may not be able to answer all the questions.U are not a Correction officer yet. Thats why u will be placed in the Police academy for 3 months training to learn all u need to. They want to see if u are ready to handle any type situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Saint Albert, Alberta

51 months ago

First I live in Edmonton Alberta, I'm curently working in the military jail, here in Canada, for the past 2 yrs (in charge of a shift) and I retire from the military in the next 3 yrs which will give me my full 20 yr service. Prior to my leaving the Military Jail, I will be doing my IERT course and will be qualified that as well. I was wondering what my chances would be for applying for a correction officer supervisor position. What would I need to do to help my chances in getting to that position IE: would I need to do the whole Corrections Canada course (9 week course) or would my 20 yrs military experience and 5 yr Military prison background help with that as well.

Cheers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Coquitlam, British Columbia

51 months ago

hi there i acyually interviewed for the calgary correctional center it is a very tough interview with 2 ddo's and one lady from human resourse, basically they aske why u want to be a corrections officer and senario based questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Culpeper, Virginia

50 months ago

fbadam54 in Cartersville, Virginia said: I am a Corrections Officer at Coffeewood correctional center in Va. I have been here for ten months now and i really enjoy the job even though i just turned 19. I had just turned 18 when i interviewed with them and in all honesty it was a pretty simple interview. My best advice would be to dress like you are going to church and just be honest with them when they ask you questions, because you could bullsh1t your way through it but in a reality this kind of job you will either sink or swim you need to have great people skills and when you are having a rough day just sit back relax and laugh about it and realize offenders are people too and you need to treat them like that because if your fake they will see through it in a minute and they will try to manipulate you they have nothing better to do with there time but as long as you are consistent whether or not you are an a$$hole or laid back they will respect you for your own person as long as you treat them with respect. and leave your home problems at the gate because that is where they need to stay and same as your problems from work dont carry them home with you or you will make your life miserable

can you tell me anymore about coffeewood? I just landed a job there. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike222 in Henderson, Nevada

49 months ago

hello i been to jail before do u thik i could be a co

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Damion in Oxford, Wisconsin

49 months ago

I would definately bring a notebook that you can ask questions from if you have them. Don't forget, you are also interviewing them on the type of organization they have and if you are willing to become a part of it. Don't be afraid to ask questions when prompted or at the end of the interview.

Damion

cody james in Ketchikan, Alaska said: So I have an Interview for the 26th as an entry level CO and I am wondering what I should expect from the first initial interview to the final interview

I.E What Questions will they more than likly ask me. (Most of my work EX is in retail)

should I bring anything with me, like a thank you letter, a cover letter, my resume again or any paperwork at all???

I have read through this forum for I.N.F.O regarding what they "May" ask me, but I just wanted to see if there is anything else I should be expecting that I am currently not.

Thanks in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

flee in Greensboro, North Carolina

49 months ago

im going for a utilites spec forman job interview any idea what im walking in? its for the B O P and they said its a power house forman job ive worked industrial construction for 10 yrs and 8 in the army i know a good bit about this work just hoping for some help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Whitney24 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

I am about to go take the written test for Philadelphia Pa, and I want to know if it is all common since on the test. Also I would like to know how long the whole process takes just getting through all the testing and stuff until you hit 5week training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

randy23 in defiance, Ohio

48 months ago

Honestly, I wouldn't rely on information on here. There's a lot of posers on this website who will pretend to be in corrections but are really 16 year old kids in real-life who are making it up as they go along or doing it based on something "they read". But this book is quite good loaded with sample questions and best answers:

www.correctionsofficertest.com/CorrectionalOfficerInterview/

Do as much research as you can, and independently, the hiring panel want officers who can work and investigate independently and not rely on dodgy sources such as forums like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Clarkston, Michigan

48 months ago

KAWilliams said: I am currently seeking to serve in corrections. I am maybe 5'7 and not too muscular. Do you think that will make it hard to sevre?

No. Any one who has worked in correction knows that the size of a person doesn't matter much but how you carry yourself when you walk the block. I am 5'9 and about 145 at the age of 25. I have taken guys down twice my size but some of the smaller squrilier guys can be a real handful. Just remember to be too nice to the inmates. I live by the rule Ask them, tell them, then make them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Clarkston, Michigan

48 months ago

Jeff in Clarkston, Michigan said: No. Any one who has worked in correction knows that the size of a person doesn't matter much but how you carry yourself when you walk the block. I am 5'9 and about 145 at the age of 25. I have taken guys down twice my size but some of the smaller squrilier guys can be a real handful. Just remember to be too nice to the inmates. I live by the rule Ask them, tell them, then make them.

*not too nice to the inmayes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

camunki in Sandwich, Massachusetts

47 months ago

i passsed the Exam and Physical fitness portion, we had 210 applicants applying, and 60 of us passed for the Interview. It was a 4 panel interview, about 15 minutes, they only ask a few questions, mostly on "honesty"....and key question was, what is Integrity and how would you describe it on the job. Good question!
Then they asked about the background check and what not and if you want to disclose any info. Be honest!! even if you had a DUI, speeding tickets, fired from jobs......they will find out, they are the Sheriffs office!! don't lie, Trust me, I told the truth, and was commeneded for this. Heck no ones past history is that clean, better to be honest & upfront, rather than them to find out and wonder why you never mentioned it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kay in United Kingdom

47 months ago

Wat exactly is a drug test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lillyturn in Mesa, Arizona

44 months ago

Hello to everyone, who has taken the time to submit their vauable knowledge pertaining to the oral interview segment for custody assistant.

I would like to know if anyone has a website which will give a formal expectation as to the proper responses that would be acepted during interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J-W- in DC, District of Columbia

43 months ago

How well you do during an interview is very important. Whether you do well or not and whether you give off a good impression or not can make a big difference. There have been many well qualified applicants for law enforcement officer jobs with super resumes including a lot of education, training, and experience that haven't gotten hired because they didn't do well during the interview. Practice your interview skills. Improve all of your communication skills as much as you can. Learn as much about the agency you are trying to get hired with. Prepare a couple good questions to ask your interviewer(s) if given the chance. Get a good night's sleep the night before the interview. Eat a healthy breakfast the morning of the interview. Dress appropriately. Be well groomed. Don't be late. Try not to be too nervous. Use good eye contact and appropriate body language during the interview. Be yourself.

Source(s):
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Renna Lea(blew2002@yahoo.com) in Garland, Texas

40 months ago

Did you end up getting hired? I applied a few weeks ago myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cadet Interview

34 months ago

I have a interview at the South Carolina department of corrections and I was wondering how early should I be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SD in Cullowhee, North Carolina

34 months ago

So I have 2 interviews coming up, both in VA. One is at Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center and on as a correction officer. I was told to show up for the correction officer wearing work out clothes for the fitness test and if I past I get 2 interviews afterwards. One was a background interveiw and i cant remember what the other was. They also asked my to bring my SS card, dipolma, birth certificate, and licenese. What can I expect? This is my first real interview and any help would be great!

What should I take with me? Should I take a shirt and tie, even though they said show up in workout clothes.
What kind of question will they ask me?
What kind of question should I ask?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

HellsKeeper in Salt Lake City, Utah

33 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: WOW what a hater!!! I don't think I'd be mad, but that would make me see what kind of friend he really ISN'T!!! I'm sure I'd keep away from that person after that.

No you should not be pissed but be understanding. When testing for a position in any job, you are competing against friends. For him to give you the questions would put him at a disadvantage. His mother should not have done that for him but mothers will be supportive to their children. Have you tried talking to her? or how about another C.O. that works there? I've done this job for twenty + years and have always being willing to help new recruits. My suggestion is to think like a CO, go to the library check out books by Norman Halls or Barron's test study books. Remember to testing don't come easy unless you put some time into studying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Catod25 in Waverly, Florida

30 months ago

HellsKeeper in Salt Lake City, Utah said: No you should not be pissed but be understanding. When testing for a position in any job, you are competing against friends. For him to give you the questions would put him at a disadvantage. His mother should not have done that for him but mothers will be supportive to their children . Have you tried talking to her? or how about another C.O. that works there? I've done this job for twenty + years and have always being willing to help new recruits. My suggestion is to think like a CO, go to the library check out books by Norman Halls or Barron's test study books. Remember to testing don't come easy unless you put some time into studying

Hey I'm from miami and tomorrow I have my first interview what can I expect I'm very nervous about the questions can anybody help me plsss

catherinrodriguez in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

Hey tomorrow is my interview at Dade correctional institution can anybody help me pls I don't know what to expect and what type of questions are they going to ask me pls help me I'm very nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie La Rue in Bremerton, Washington

28 months ago

ms.officer in Auburn, Washington said: Today I took the video assessment or corrections officer I feel really good about it althout I am very nervous I wont know the results until friday I will keep you posted on the results if I did well enough on the assessment the next step will be the panle HR interview and then the real process begins wish me luck everyone!

Im takingtheVideo assessment test onMonday any tips? Also is there a physical agility test required?

Amtoj in Winnipeg, Manitoba

27 months ago

kara in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hey!

Did you have to right any exams? I am from Manitoba and I have to write a series of 3 tests in a coupe weeks. I didn't make it through last year. do you have any tips?

thanks

Hey. if you still there please let me know how did it go with your corrections. i know its a long time you wrote here but just trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dampyankee in Jackson, Tennessee

27 months ago

Here's a few more questions that our agency commonly asks Correctional Officer applicants:

1) Inmates in this facility outnumber staff 10 to 1. Assume that you are assigned to work in a housing unit with another officer who you do not particularly care for personally. How do you ensure both of your safety while working on the unit together?

We ask that question for pretty obvious reasons, but what we are looking for is the applicant's thought process on how s/he approaches conflict management. A particularly good answer that I received on this was 'sit down w/ the other person and try to resolve the underlying issues, and if not, then reach a consensus about focusing on the job for the sake of the safety of each other and the inmates/community/other staff'. Other good answers have been 'keep it professional'. What we don't want to hear is 'ignore it' or 'kick his/her azz'. Yes...actually had someone say they would beat up the other person.

2) Tell us about a time when you had ---> a difficult problem to solve/ went above and beyond in your job duties/ assisted a co-worker to help him/her meet a tight deadline, etc.

S.T.A.R. (Situation/Task/Action Taken/Result) questions are sometimes asked, and they are the ones that unfortunately can take people by surprise. We do ask them of Correctional Officer candidates, so just have a couple in mind just in case the agency you are interviewing with flings one on you.

3) What is your area of greatest weakness?

We also ask about people's strong areas, but that is an easy one for most of us to answer and not an area we are uncomfortable with. If you are asked this, be honest and talk about steps you have taken/are taking to address the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blacktea in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

Why on earth would any interviewer ask why someone wants to be a CO. Duh...the benefits or the pay. What other reason would someone aspire to work in corrections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

that in Mt Meadows Area, California

27 months ago

I had an interview today to be a co and was asked if people were sentenced to jail as punishment or for rehabilitation. I said rehabilitation is that the correct answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Redsoxs2013 in Salem, Oregon

25 months ago

Jeremy in Quakertown, Pennsylvania said: What should I wear to an interview??

I wouldn't wear BLUE OR RED.. most prisons systems will note that in your interview letter.. not sure why anyone would suggest that to you!

norwalk2005 in Tampa, Florida

25 months ago

Want to be a prison guard in WI does anybody know what the interview process and fitness test will be like

Dee in Stockton, California

24 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: I interviewed in Merced County. I was so suprised when they told me right there. I'm on my way to drop off all my background info right now. Like you said the waiting is the HARDEST part. All I've done is think about getting this job since this has started. It's already been a month and I'm sure I'm not even half done yet. You have to keep your head up and keep only good thoughts

l like your determinations and courage. l will be having my text Exams on this position next week in Modesto, Could you please hi-light the areas to cover on the up coming exam at Modesto Center

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

smendoza, l need your on the txt questions for next week

Anyone with the info on the questions is very well appreciated and welcome.

24 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: I just want to thank you very much for taking your time to help others. These question are so very helpful. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

please i need you help on the txt exams if you have any info from you past text at Meceed county.
lm im stockton and will be testing at Modesto next week.

Sexytop in Moultrie, Georgia

20 months ago

What kind of drug test for they perform?

Jared Clift in Oroville, California

15 months ago

Hi there everyone I am looking to get in to become an Corrections officer and I would like to get information on it and talk to people who were are still Corrections officer. What would I have to do and how do I go and about to get started. I am going to take the P.O.S.T this Saturday. What would I have to score on it to become an Corrections officer. You can email me or write on here. My email is jaredclift88@gmail.com thanks and everyone have a good day.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.