Top corrections officer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every corrections officer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your corrections officer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

scott in Stanton, New Jersey

83 months ago

A high school diploma or a G.E.D. A valid drivers license and a clean drug test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Altoona, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Must possess the ability to count, write, walk, talk, tie your shoes, correctly wear a tie...etc..

OK a lil bit of truth...Being a CO is easy if you are cut out for it. How do you know?? Well you won't until you step inside the walls and take charge. Those who are highly motivated, rough/tough, and large don't have any greater chances of succeeding as those who are a lil softer, lil less rough, and small. I'm only 5'7" :)!! Anyway, as far as skills...I'm not joking about COUNTING and WRITING. If you show up to work on time, you can count, you can record your count, and no one escapes on your watch then your good to go. Oh and don't judge! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Tacoma, Washington

81 months ago

I'd have to agree with what Curt said by summing it up as staying focused. You cannot allow yourself to become distracted easily. You can't take things personally either. I've seen big barrel chested guys last less than a week because they came in with a chip on their shoulder and had it shattered once they set foot on a tier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

TINA RODRIQUES in Dalton, Ohio

78 months ago

THANK YOU FOR INFO.
CAN AN FELON OF A DRUG CHARGE BE A C O? MY CASE IS 7 YEARS OLD AND HAVE A CLEAN RECORD SINCE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

blue2602001@yahoo.com in Dalton, Georgia

76 months ago

Im already in the food industry for a jail how do i chnge my profesion ive already been through all the test to work in this establishment but is their a entry level to work your way up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JP in East Meadow, New York

71 months ago

As a twenty year veteran and personnel trainer let me say that the top three traits every CO must have is:
1- High level of interpersonal skills with a diverse population
2- (3) R's, Reading (rules & regulations) Riting (reports) Rithmetic (count)
3- High level of patience and tolerance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Coeur D Alene, Idaho

70 months ago

FYI at some places if you've used any illegal drugs in the past three years you might as well not apply...unless you're skilled at taking lie detector tests. i hate that rule. weed should be legal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Dori Butterick in Dalton, Georgia

62 months ago

thank-you currently working at Whitfield County Jail in Dalton Ga.Im not an officer i teach the inmates culinary,and distribution However just recently applied for juvenile officer for the state .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ABBBBBBBBBBBBY(: <3 in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

This was unhelpful for my assigment. "Reading, Writing, Walking" Um, duh. You need that for any job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy Watkins in Prattville, Alabama

33 months ago

I good correctional officer should have some or all of the traits listed to be deemed suitable or successful for the job.

Should have the ability to multi-task
Should have the ability to count accurate
Should have the ability to communicate and write good reports
Should have good interpersonal skills
Should be able to were many hats such as counselor, teacher, father figure and role models
Should have knowledge of departmental rules/regulations and apply the rules correctly to the situation in question.

Should have neat appeareance
Should be well groomed
Should be able to pay attention to detail
Should be able to build a positive repore with inmate population

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Johnetan in Miami, Florida

10 months ago

Hi, Im applying for a career with the State of Florida Department of Correction. One of the questions on the supplemental application and willingness questionairre asks, "Do I have any special skills, qualifications or certifications?" Thank you for leaving your comments(insight) on indeed. I feel more confident knowing thats what the department is looking for. Thanks Tommy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.