Top corrections officer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every corrections officer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your corrections officer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Altoona, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Must possess the ability to count, write, walk, talk, tie your shoes, correctly wear a tie...etc..

OK a lil bit of truth...Being a CO is easy if you are cut out for it. How do you know?? Well you won't until you step inside the walls and take charge. Those who are highly motivated, rough/tough, and large don't have any greater chances of succeeding as those who are a lil softer, lil less rough, and small. I'm only 5'7" :)!! Anyway, as far as skills...I'm not joking about COUNTING and WRITING. If you show up to work on time, you can count, you can record your count, and no one escapes on your watch then your good to go. Oh and don't judge! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

blue2602001@yahoo.com in Dalton, Georgia

80 months ago

Im already in the food industry for a jail how do i chnge my profesion ive already been through all the test to work in this establishment but is their a entry level to work your way up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew1 in Indianapolis, Indiana

1 month ago

JP in East Meadow, New York said: As a twenty year veteran and personnel trainer let me say that the top three traits every CO must have is:
1- High level of interpersonal skills with a diverse population
2- (3) R's, Reading (rules & regulations) Riting (reports) Rithmetic (count)
3- High level of patience and tolerance

You spelled "Riting" wrong. It is spelled WRITING. Also, you mean ARITHMETIC... Just saying. I totally agree with everything else though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.