felony friendly

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 194 of 194)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

capedda in Denver, Colorado

29 months ago

I understand how you feel. Tired of not being able to get a job. Feel like my life is a worthless waste. I'm so ready to check out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

david allen bennett in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

if i had guts enough to do it i would commit suicide. im fully disabled and dont know the difference between medicare and medicaid. i pay $1400 a month for my med ins for me and my wife, but that dont cover dental or vision care. all it pays for is hospital care,,,not for meds either. my wife is 75 and im 60 but im fully disabled according to s.s....i dont know what to do. i dont know if im gonna have to buy a suppliment ins either. somebody please email me at oldmantoo491@hotmail.com and tell me. im stupid and i dont know the answers. ive been told medicare will be cheaper than the $1400 im currently paying for ins for me and my wife. please reply, please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gsamanez in Miami, Florida

29 months ago

Larry in Tampa, Florida said: I have a 4 yr old felony. I was not having any success last year finding a job, even though I have a bachelor's degree. Finally, I applied for a real estate license here in Florida in August of last year. Because of my criminal past, (they pull it all up misdemeanors and all) I had to go in front of the state board. But by dressing nice, showing that I am not involved in that life anymore, and bringing 2 real estate agents I know with me (1 was my sister) to testify on my behalf, I was granted a real estate license. I had to pass the real estate test and the class of course but in March I received my license and have been working hard ever since. My first closing is scheduled for Tuesday of next week. The hours are long, especially in the beginning but if you grind it out, you will end up with a nice income and a decent life. Reguardless of what the news says about the economy and house prices in the toilet, many many people are still buying and selling, and they always will be through the ups and downs of our economy. Good luck to you all. I will gladly talk to anyone who wants more information.

what were you charge for? i wanna become a cpa but ive been charge for burglary unooccupied of dwelling and grand theft and both have been withheld adjudication meaning im not convicted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Martin Jack Powell in Goose Creek, South Carolina

28 months ago

shaun in Denver, Colorado said: I was able to get my cdl but no one will hire me and my felony is 18 years old. does anyone have any suggestions

I have a felony and I have my CDL and is currently work as a truck driver I work for a smallier company that does not to a full back ground check... How ever a insurance company can deny employment here in South Carolina

capedda in Golden, Colorado

28 months ago

To Shaun In Denver,CO Try Federal Fruit and Produce or Mile High Fruit and Produce In Denargo Market in Denver. My brother in law has felonies and worked for both companies. GOOD LUCK !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

people say walmart hires felons. they dont in houston,tx. i applied at 238 different companies and all including maxwell house coffee on harrisburg blvd in houston amd all of them turned me down. i will say i worked for a oil company for 3o years after i discharged my probation,,,but i never told them of my felony,,,otherwise i would have never got hired. i applied at every oil company in texas as well as every company in harris county,tx and was turned down by all of them. im 60 now and totally disabled and cant work. i got full disability from s.s. but havent started getting my checks yet. and expungement in texas is totally
out of the question. if any judge or lawyer says different, they are liars.

Risingup in Eugene, Oregon

28 months ago

Hello all,
I got 2 felonies 11 years ago, when I was 18 years old and a senior in Highschool. They were Class B/C felonies. I have not been in trouble since, other than a disorderly traffic violation. I have been in sales the last 8 years, and started my carreer in a homeless shelter at the age of 19. I have been everything from a simple sales rep, to an Executive Director, to a VP of Operations/Sales. If you really want to do something, you can do it. Don't give up. Have faith. If you believe in yourself, and work hard, you can get to where you want to be. If we want people to see the change in us, we have to be that change.
The gentleman that posted earlier about God having a plan for you is right. God loves everyone no matter what.

My question is though, I want to get into Real Estate here in Oregon. Does anyone know if you can get a real estate license if you are a felon here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Orlando, Florida

28 months ago

oldmantoo49@hotmail.com in Spring, Texas said: are you absolutely certain of this?? my felony was 34 years ago. i got 10 years probation and discharged it in 3.3 years. my conviction was set aside,,,but its still on the records and i cannot get my crime expunged

That's not true. I filled out an application and it asked if I was convicted of any crime winthin 7yrs and of course I said no because my felony charge was 22yrs ago, a few days later I received a retracted employment offer letter. So even if the application says 7yrs they do go back farther than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

david a. bennett in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

oldmantoo49@hotmail.com in Spring, Texas said: are you absolutely certain of this?? my felony was 34 years ago. i got 10 years probation and discharged it in 3.3 years. my conviction was set aside,,,but its still on the records and i cannot get my crime expunged

yes i am absolutely certain of this.i have been certified by a judicial judge here in houston and by S.S. as being totally disabled and not able to work at all under any circumstances.,,,but there is no one in Texas at all that will help me get my record expunged and cleared so i can have my second amendment rights back. i was told that for $3500.00 i could get it done else i could forget about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Army Grunt in Austin, Texas said: Well severity of the felony can affect employment. That being said it's almost completely absurd to have a caste system of any sort in this nation. By not allowing felons any potential for personal growth, this nation creates a system in which that person will most likely go back to some form of crime because they have virtually no chance for a future along with extreme stress. But that doesn't relieve the felon from having personal accountability and cannot use that likely scenario as an excuse. Honestly I would go to a publicly elected representative and argue this case right here... how can I expect to be an honest respectable member of society when I am a cast out pariah based upon a bad decision nearly 4 decades ago? It is to some extent a variation of bigotry like creating unfair rent laws and civil laws for gay populations, underfunded and dangerous environments for minority groups.... I mean Christ they even tried passing laws to not allow an Irish vote years ago. Now you see conservative Irish talk show hosts rattling off about how these "degenerate groups" are destroying "their country." I'm sorry that's hilarious to me!

I'm starting to believe that this is the way how government and people in power keep their high status!!! There must be those on the low end in order for the wealthy to stay up! I even believe that the welfare system, SSI programs are just a pass on lollipops to keep a great amount of people from growing intellectually. I'm only looking at the big picture now. I never imagined how unfair and stupid the law system works with felons. My boyfriend is currently in a halfway house on parole. The rules and policies that these parolees have to follow are nearly impossible to abide by!! I'm a college graduate. I thought I had it excruciating when it came to meeting deadlines for work etc. These parolees are not even allowed to go to temp agencies because they want them to get FULL TIME JOBS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kona in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

Hi everyone,

I hope this story gives you hope. Its very true and it can happen to anyone if it can happen to my brother.

He moved out from California to Florida to live with me and continue his slowly progressing life. He has multiple felonies, arrests, etc... spending most of his adult life incarcerated. He finally made the decision that he couldnt continue with the lifestyle (which resulted in deep self discovery) He was in a court ordered treatment program for a year, slipped, went back again and looked for workin LA for about 9 months. He was recommended to apply at Americorp, a federally funded program that employs all walks of life. They are located in every state and offer education awards at the end of your community service term. It is a paid job. This gave him a year of solid employment and references and a chance to go to school.

Upon his arrival in Fl, I hooked him up with a friend in the pool business where he worked as needed and applied at several jobs. He also applied at Apple One for temporary odd jobs. Note the job market here in So. Fla is horrible, but still better than southern Cali.

So I was talking to a friend at my job and got on t eh subject of my brother tryibg to find work. He said bring him here,,, well they wont hire him. He has been in a little trouble. He encouraged me saying weve all been in trouble.. After thinking about it I decided to talk to my boss who I knew would at least listen to me.

I told her he has a past,,, not a great one, but he has turned everything around. I told her about his year long commitment to Americorp, his past 2 years in school with a 4.0, most valueable member awards and other certificates he received. SHe said she would talk to HR and see if they were open to it. FULL DISCLOSURE.... Hr came back and said well lets talk with him and see if he would fit first, then go from there.

He interviewed twice, and then they wanted the major application filled out, etc.... the background information

Kona in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

to continue,,, filling out that background information was the hardest thing he has done. Laying it all out there. But we had already revealed he had a past so we had nothing to gain by hiding anything..

It took 2 weeks to get the report back,,,,agony in waiting. They asked for 10 years,,, California law states they only release 7 years. We dont know what they revealed... and my boss didnt care. HR say he was ok to hire!!!! WOW,,, Im sure some can imagine the feeling... But here is the best part. I work for a major mortgage lender, financial institution. I am very grateful my company has chosen to give him a chance.Its a very boring nothing meanial job, but its a job and will be a great reference when he tries to move on to something later when we move to Denver.

I want to encourage those who struggle with this, it can happen. You have to network, build some base, start with temp jobs, dress appropriately, sell yourself, offer all your positive attributes. My brother was given a chance because of my recommendation yes, but also becasue of the 2 years of clean hard work he did, and he also wrote a very open letter about his past, and what he learned from it.

Please dont get discouraged, never give up and it will come.

GOod Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tristin Collpein in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

You can look up current federal programs, and see lists of felony friendly employers at xamire.com
I find my jobs by doing all this, and they're pretty up to date.

Tristin Collpein in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

Exhausted in Broomfield, Colorado said: I have a theft conviction from CA in 2002, living in CO now. Just was shot down for an auto sales license from the state. Clearly stated, felony convictions must be 10 yrs or older. Was working and got laid off in 2008, never thought I'd still be looking in 2011. Have actually been offered 3 jobs in the last 2 weeks, they withdrawn once the background came back. I did disclose upfront though, the people I interviewed with wanted me, their HR Dept. didn't. I haven't given up, I send 4 - 5 resumes a day, I'm counting on the law of averages to work. I try to pick small family owned business's when possible. For those of you who THINK it's impossible, YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT!

Use xamire.com to find felony friendly jobs and all the stuff on federal felon programs

2nd chance in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

where did you even get the money to go to a college like that before finding a job, and the money for the criminal defense attorney? Sorry but your story doesn't sound believable. Can you give more details in any way if possible?

Misty in Denver, Colorado

27 months ago

Second amendment? I keep seeing all this talk about the importance of getting your second amendment rights back. Really??!! Your a felon and you can't get a job anywhere and all you are worried about is when you can carry a gun again? Get real, it's likely not going to happen. You should be more concerned about getting a job and being a productive member of society. I have had my felony for 17 years now, I am going to college to obtain my nursing degree, despite people telling me it will never work. I was told I could never work in the health field. I obtained my CNA license two years ago, I have been working as a CNA QMAP certified thru the state for a little over a year now. It takes dedication and hard work with persistence but it can be done. Don't give up on your goals, somewhere out there is someone who is willing to give you a leg up. Yes we all made mistakes and because of those mistakes we have to be driven to go that extra mile to get what we want. If you are not willing to then welcome yourself back to a life of crime, your a quitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in East Bernard, Texas

27 months ago

I would like to find real help at this point in my life. I have a felony from 1988. First time I ever broke the law but I confessed and was given 3 years. Did 6 months in the County Jail. Back then I thought that if I fessed up and did my pay back to society I could go on with my life.... mistake made and sorry I did it. I have been working since but recently my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and I had to quit my current job to care for him while on chemo. Now that he is in remission (thank you Jesus) I have not been able to find a job. With the recession currently impeding my job search all of a sudden 'Polite Society' has decided that I am unemployable. It seems that the ones making decisions nowadays has decided that anyone with a criminal background not be considered for employment. More and more I see the statement 'Due to the nature of the business anyone with a felony background will not be considered'. Really!!!!! Twenty some years ago - what the heck! I am now 59 years old (another stepping stone) and I all of a sudden am a threat to society! We live on my husbands disability but if and when he passes what am I to do? Maybe I will be one of those people living on the streets that POLITE SOCIETY says to me 'get a job'!!! I want to work and have the excellent skills but you, polite society, have decided that since I was an idiot some 20 years ago I am not able to fit into your plan. I cry every night and I try every day, but I am so scared that I will end up with nothing after a lifetime of working and giving. There really is no help from the government for us 'Felons'...... Wish I knew where to really find places that will give us a chance to prove that we really aren't bad people just made some stupid mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JoJo

27 months ago

david allen bennett in Houston, Texas said: if i had guts enough to do it i would commit suicide. im fully disabled and dont know the difference between medicare and medicaid. i pay $1400 a month for my med ins for me and my wife, but that dont cover dental or vision care. all it pays for is hospital care,,,not for meds either. my wife is 75 and im 60 but im fully disabled according to s.s....i dont know what to do. i dont know if im gonna have to buy a suppliment ins either. somebody please email me at oldmantoo491@hotmail.com and tell me. im stupid and i dont know the answers. ive been told medicare will be cheaper than the $1400 im currently paying for ins for me and my wife. please reply, please

You are entitled to medicare @ 65 and medicaid if you r disabled..you need not consider suicide :-(

Judy in San Diego, California

27 months ago

I've been out for 4 years, off parole for 2, just recently graduated with my BA in Business. Is there any San Diego, Ca. felon-friendly employers that you guys know of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Saint Paul, Minnesota

27 months ago

Joy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I read an ad thru Hard2Hire.org which helps felons find jobs and CCA accepts F-5 that means if you have a felony is has to be at least five yrs ago. The back ground check only goes back 5yrs, so mine was 8yrs ago (non-violent)does that make me quilified for the job? Does anyone know anything about that? If so, can you elaborate alittle bit?

I would think that the older the felony the better. being that they only go back five year they will see that your felony is older witch should in turn be a good thing.

capedda in Denver, Colorado

27 months ago

To Joy in Murfreesboro, Tenn. An F5 Felony does not mean your felony is 5 years old. It means it is a Class 5 felony (F5). Anybody that runs a background check can go back as far as they want. 5,10 or 20 years. Whatever they choose. You need to get yourself educated on your situation. Not understanding your situation leads to you giving false information and that obviously will not help you at all

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey

25 months ago

Wrong, investigative background checks from the (OPM)Office of Personell Management goes back ten years and no matter how far back the investigation goes, felonies will always show up in the investigations..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

so there is no truth in getting ones record expunged or cleared to where they can own a pictol and/or have a concealed carry permit or ever in ones live getting any kind of pardon at all.

jae in Dayton, Ohio

25 months ago

SD0712 in San Diego, California said: Hi everyone....

I have a felony on my record that is over 14 years old. I have gone to college (got a business degree with a major emphasis in accounting from San Diego State) got my CPA (The board approved me after my appeal). I went back to the courts and I was able to get my conviction expunged. Expungment only means that your guilty conviction was set aside because you served your time. (I served six months in jail/halfway house) I have worked for some of the largest companies in the world. When asked on my application I put "no" to have I ever been convicted of a felony because I was advised of that from my lawyer. I am really sick of hearing people post things here complaining that they can't get a job. I have worked my ass off and I make a six figure income because I never gave up. My felony was related to a marriage I was in and I caught my wife cheating on me but that doesn't matter. A felony is a felony....If you are looking for work never give up!!!! There is always someone out there who will hire you. By the way...California only goes back 7 years on background checks so if you are working for a company who is not doing government contracts than you will be fine. NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!! I didn't and I accomplised my goals!!! I hope this helps those of you who are down on themselves.

I dont give up i keep looking. however, my conviction is not expunge it is over 15 years ago and every job that i have applied has stated they cant hire me and i know its because of that because i have the skills to do all the jobs that i have applied for. but i wont give up. i have plans and i have God and Hes going step in right on time

25 months ago

the state of texas never expunges or clears a record, ive gone to 8 attorneys and to 8 judges an they all said "no way".....however i have gone to 1 attorney said he would do it fot $3000.00 now who is crooked
not only that but my felony was 37 years ago,my conviction was set aside and i was entitled to a new trial and i finished my probation 34 years ago. and a pardon is out of the question peariod unless you have lots of money. next time i get robbed in broad daylight at gunpoint im just gonna tell the guy to go ahead and kill me because the people that run these united states will not expunge or clear or set aside a conviction and clear my 37 yr old record so i may as well be dead

BIGERN in Clayton, North Carolina

25 months ago

I HAVE TO DISAGREE ABOUT WORKING FOR GOVERNMENT CONTRACTORS. I WORK FOR A COMPANY AT CHERRY POINT MARINE BASE IN HAVELOCK NC. I HAVE A FELONY AND ITS 23 YEARS OLD. WHEN MY BACKGROUND CHECK WAS GIVEN TO THE HEAD OF SERCURITY THAT GRANTS CAR DECALS AND BAGES TO GET ON THE BASE TO THE DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS I NEED TO GO TOO AS WELL AS THE FLIGHT LINE,I WAS CLEARED. HE LOOKED AT MY BACK GROUND AND SAID "THE EIGHTIES WERE KINDA BAD FOR YOU WEREN'T THEY.." I SAID YES..AND I EXPLAINED. HE REPLYED WITH MOST GOVERNMENT INSTULATIONS AND BASES ONLY GO BACK 5 YEARS(EXCEPT AREA 51 AND A COUPLE OF OTHER SECRET FACLITIES.. WHAT KEEPS YOU FROM WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT OR THIER CONTRACTORS IS 1.DEFAULT ON STUENT LOANS AND BACK TAXES NOT PAID..BAD CREDIT AND ANY CRIMES AGAINST NATURE SUCH AS PEDOFILES OR BEASTIALITY. SO PEOPLE YOU HAVE HOPE..
TO BE A STUPID PERSON TO COMMIT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Quincy in Mount Vernon, Illinois

24 months ago

scooby in Mankato, Minnesota said: Well im looking for felony friendly jobs around Minnesota. Do anyone know where i can find some?

masterson services

Second Chance in Roseville, Michigan

23 months ago

Candice in Detroit, Michigan said: I am an employment Specialist that wourks for the Mental Health Court for the 36th district court in Detroit. All of my clients have felonies and I have been successful in finding many employment. I sign them up for Michigan Rehab Services and they allocate money where they will pay an employer 80% of the employees check for 3 months, so the employer can test the employee out without taking a monetary risk. This has been a great selling point to employers. Kinda like a "try before you buy" approach. Find out what programs your state has to assist people with felony convictions.

Hello Candice,

I live in Michigan and I am looking for employment. Could you please provide information on how I could obtain assistance from your organization to obtain employment? I could really use some help. How do I become involved in the program? Your help is very much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Not giving up in Chesapeake, Virginia

23 months ago

Virginia seems to be the Most Difficult state to seal a felony. Back in 98 I was currently working and failed to report to worker my income which led me to have Grand Larceny on my record.Every time I look for a job that felony haunts me.I made a huge mistake during my youth and just as society to give me a second chance.I was a single mother just trying to mkae it the wrong way.I need employment BAD.Please help.

diggstown33 in Elkridge, Maryland

23 months ago

sweetie if can get out VA IM IN MARYLAND WORKING AT STORE WITH A FELONY I WAS A NIGHT MANGER MAKING DECENT MONEY VIRGINIA WANT LET SEAL UR RECORD THEY WANT HIREEREU I WAS LIVING IN PORTSMOUTH VA I BEEN IN Baltimore 5 years and been woriking since

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim in Edison, New Jersey

21 months ago

I was charge 10 years ago for a forth degree felony in the state of nj growing under a ounce of marijuana. The plant I work for closed after 50years..I have worked steady since I was 16 Iam 53 now. I always excelled in what ever job I did..Now being unemployed for the first time since I was 16..I found out I am pretty much unemployable because of the Marijuana growing charge..Every time I get a interview even when it says they only go back 7 years when they find out about the charge they don't give me a chance...I give up!!!!!!!!! I feel my life is over... I will never beable to work again..its so unfair I made a mistake once and I will pay for it untill the day I die..Is there anyone in the state of nj or pa that will hire me ...I worked 60 to 72 hours a week at my last job untill they closed the plant I was the vp of the union got a letter of recomendation for having perfect attendence..but all that dosn't seem to matter because of one mistake...what the hell can i do!!!!

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

21 months ago

With so many Americans out of work, if you have a felony, it's going be difficult to get a job. Smaller companies might be your best bet or a friend who can vouch for you. Sorry.

Personally, I go get myself a nice girl with some meat on her. Not the skinny kind. And have a good time for awhile.

Good Luck All!

Girl Interuppted in Hackensack, New Jersey

21 months ago

jim in Edison, New Jersey said: I was charge 10 years ago for a forth degree felony in the state of nj growing under a ounce of marijuana. The plant I work for closed after 50years..I have worked steady since I was 16 Iam 53 now. I always excelled in what ever job I did..Now being unemployed for the first time since I was 16..I found out I am pretty much unemployable because of the Marijuana growing charge..Every time I get a interview even when it says they only go back 7 years when they find out about the charge they don't give me a chance...I give up!!!!!!!!! I feel my life is over... I will never beable to work again..its so unfair I made a mistake once and I will pay for it untill the day I die..Is there anyone in the state of nj or pa that will hire me ...I worked 60 to 72 hours a week at my last job untill they closed the plant I was the vp of the union got a letter of recomendation for having perfect attendence..but all that dosn't seem to matter because of one mistake...what the hell can i do!!!!

That sux..and pot should be legal already..gesshh..good luck 2 ya!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Duluth, Minnesota

14 months ago

I feel all of your pain. I got into a physical altercation with a couple of people 7 years ago. I was punched in the head and face about 30 times, was obviously terrified, threw a single punch and fractured some bones in a mans face. My rotten attorney pressured me into pleading guilty to a 3rd degree assault charge. I was granted a stay of imposition after I successfully completed probation and the conviction was reduced to a misdemeanor. Try explaining what a stay of imposition is to a hr department. Regardless, it's an assault conviction. If you think that you have it bad, try finding ANY job, even the crap jobs, with an assault conviction. Dude who wants an expungement so he can get a gun is hilarious. We are all fighting for our lives trying to keep our heads above water to stay alive without jobs, and dude is crying about not being able to own a gun.

Marcus C in Hackensack, New Jersey

14 months ago

david allen bennett in Houston, Texas said: if i had guts enough to do it i would commit suicide. im fully disabled and dont know the difference between medicare and medicaid. i pay $1400 a month for my med ins for me and my wife, but that dont cover dental or vision care. all it pays for is hospital care,,,not for meds either. my wife is 75 and im 60 but im fully disabled according to s.s....i dont know what to do. i dont know if im gonna have to buy a suppliment ins either. somebody please email me at oldmantoo491@hotmail.com and tell me. im stupid and i dont know the answers. ive been told medicare will be cheaper than the $1400 im currently paying for ins for me and my wife. please reply, please

Yes you can get a supplemnt when you get Medicare..if you are really poor, under certain level of earned money a year ratio you may be eligable for Medicaid as well..call social services in your State or look it up on the computer..the supplemental Insurance will cover meds and vision and maybe even dental plans, depends on which one you choose and it should be a lot less than 1400 a month..good luck!

krista

13 months ago

Hello there I'm very sorry to hear that hard times by your family or children have gone through I really understand them. I'm going to include my email address just so maybe we could talk and maybe I can offer a little bit of help. I am 29 year old female with a felony on my record. to say I have my problems with the law is a little understatement I had a lot of problems with the law I pretty much lost everything my husband my family my house my card job everything. I guess most people call that hitting your bottom I'm very much so did hit my bottom and I went to rehab and I got help for first my drug addiction which that will always be something that I'm working on but once I got a clear mind and a clear idea of what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go I put into action and as a convicted felon I was able to get a wonderful job in the Union I am I'm a carpenter from local 22 Carpenters Union from San Francisco California I started as an apprentice but now has been in five years and in a couple months I will be coming to your name in carpenter. I do have two children of my own and eventually yes I did get custody of my children back after a couple years I stayed clean and sober and keep my my job even when i wanted to to quit my job and I had to keep this routine I COULD NEVER GIVE UP OR I KNEW IF I DID WHERE IT WOULD END Up. I have came so far. if I could do it anyone can do it. I got everything back I have three retirement accounts I have my card back my house back my children everything so can anybody else that wants it bad enough and don't give up. kristagramps@yahoo.com or Facebook me please..

annonymous in Punta Gorda, Florida

10 months ago

1881livia in Wood Dale, Illinois said: Oh lord, is this what waits for me, too? Years and years of nothing but trying? I have a class 4 felony drug conviction and just as a side note this is my only ever arrest. Just this week I had two companies (YWCA, Sam's Club/WALmart Stores) turn me down due to my conviction that is two years old.

Don't believe that. Wal-Mart doesn't even hire real workers anymore. They hire temps and when the temps contract is up, rather than keep a knowledgeable employee they get rid of them and get new ones. They are replacing cashiers (pretty much everyone's 1st job) with self-service check outs. I watched them send home 3 cashiers during back to school sales with the lines extending down the aisle and the managers took over the registers. They weren't sent home because they were supposed to get off work, they were sent home so corporate could get started on replacing them with the automated systems.

annonymous in Punta Gorda, Florida

10 months ago

Four years ago I took a menial job $4.10 per hour as an attendant at a social club just so I would NOT be one of those people on unemployment during the recession. The club had "Social Club and Poker Lounge" on their door for YEARS before I worked there. My job was to stock the snacks, the water and soda coolers, check people out on their wins for the video slot machines (real popular here in FL) and get snacks for people playing poker. I worked there 6 months and suddenly they get raided. Not during an actual poker game, but when it was dead, maybe two or three customers playing slot machines. Nevertheless, we were all arrested as agents and employees of an illegal gambling establishment.
I took a plea agreement for pre-trial diversion which made me eligible for record expungement (having never been arrested before this was a completely new experience for me). I did community service, paid my fines, and STILL have not been able to find employment. It doesn't help that we had JUST moved here so we really don't know anyone in the area to network with. I'd been told that my resume was perfect and the temp agency would LOVE to hire me, except for the arrest record. It doesn't matter that it wasn't for theft, murder or anything of the like. I was told point blank that employers can afford to be picky and they want a clean record. Now because I've been unemployed for so long, I have that counting against me on the job hunt, my credit is in the toilet and we've had to move twice because we could not afford the rent anymore. All these things add up to looking bad when you apply for jobs. I thought when a record was expunged that I would be free and clear but I now know differently. All it means is the police remove your mug shot from their site and the record is sealed but your arrest will always show up in AFIS and your mug shot will always show up on the internet thanks to some less than legit companies that make money off them for entertainment purposes.

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in San Jose, California

9 months ago

www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm

www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm

Can an employment application ask about things that should not be reported?

The FCRA does not prohibit an employer from asking questions in an employment application. See FTC letters to Nadell and Sum:

www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/nadell.htm
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/sum.htm

For example, an employment application might ask if you have "ever" been arrested. The FCRA says a consumer reporting agency cannot report an arrest that from date of entry was more than seven years ago. It does not say the employer cannot ask the question.

How to handle such questions on an employment application is of real concern to many people, especially those concerned with a youthful mistake from the distant past.

State employment laws may limit the questions an employer includes on a job application. For example, in California an application may ask "job related questions about convictions except those that have been sealed, or expunged, or statutorily eradicated," but applications cannot ask "general questions regarding an arrest." www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/publications/DFEH-161.pdf

To learn about employment laws in your state, search the Internet for “employment inquiries” followed by the name of your state. State and local equal employment opportunity agencies, along with federal EEO field offices, may also be located through the US Equal Opportunity Commission Web site. www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm.

9 months ago

Hey all:

I want to make sure a few things are clear to help those that have a criminal record. I have helped allot of people that have been in your situation. Expunged/Vacated helps more than you will know. Unfortunately if you were lucky enough to have that done, it doesn't stop there, because your information is unfortunately in other databases, but that is where you have to get to work and clear your name from those databases.

Do know most companies like HireRight, allow you to request a FREE copy of your background check so you can dispute something.

Also Check with your local State laws. In most states there is limitations on the number of years that it can be reported, so if they are reporting something that they shouldn't even if it was a conviction and not vacated or expunged, you first need to request they remove it and or take them to court. Its not hard to go to court, especially small claims, you will be surprised at how many companies don't show up for damages caused.

IN WA state after 10 years you don't have to report a conviction arrest, and it doesn't show up on your record. You need to figure out for the state you live in, where you are applying for a job what is the legal number of years that companies are able to go back and check. If you were arrested 11 years ago, and the legal time frame is 7 years ago, your fine.

9 months ago

<<<Continued>>>

One of the first things you do is contact your local state police and ask for a copy of your criminal history if you have one. The state police updates there information with the FBI. Do know you can go to your local superior court and ask for information that did not lead to any conviction to be removed from their system. Go to various websites like Spokeo, and checkmate and you can request that your information be removed from their database.

I can't stress this enough, find out for your state what the reporting laws are for the number of years for reporting a arrest/or conviction. Again, if you offer up this information, it will be on record, and that information is shared with other companies. So if you apply at say ATT, and you put down you were convicted, but legally you did not have to, and it doesn't show up in your profile, the background check company that ATT uses, will not put that in your file, so the next similar company that you apply for will know that you were convicted.

First thing first, know the laws of your state, then get a copy of your credit report, background check report, and have them removed anything that is legally not correct. Get your State police report also, to verify nothing is there as proof. The more you know the better it becomes.

cecelia in Denver Colorado

5 months ago

capedda in Golden, Colorado said: Been applying for jobs for over 2 1/2 years now with no luck. I too have had managers want to hire me but HR says no. So tired of it all already.

You can try goodwill Industries doing lots of hiring.

erbodyhatezcris in Virgin Islands, U.S.

4 months ago

I'm currently trying to get on at a hotel chain in the St. Croix as a bartender. My felony was around 7 years ago. I think October will make it exactly 7 years. A few weeks after I initially got arrested and charged I applied for a job and failed a background check in the same state I was living. However, I have gotten arrested in another state for driving with a license and nothing came up, and I wasn't supposed to be out of the state at the time. Now I live in a US territory. The application asked if I had been convicted of a felony in the past five years. Of course I answered no, but everywhere I'm seeing that my conviction is going to show up regardless of if they search from yesterday to fifty years ago. They use AISS screening services for their background checks. I really want the job and my references that they called said they said good things about me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but the worrying has caused my shingles to flare up : / I'm just worried, anyone ever filled out the "five year answer" and still got denied? My crime wasn't violent but it was theft and I paid the money back.

Camille in Omaha, Nebraska

4 months ago

brittney in Fort Myers, Florida said: The government complains about people commiting crimes It complains about welfare and other subsidized programs. It complains about drug dealers selling drugs. But.........the reason for the majority of illegal activity or welfare is because it is very very difficult for anyone to get a job with a felony conviction.God forbide, if you have a family to support. Your kids will grow up watching you have hard times. Hmmmmmm....How can we afford to send our kids to college ? Our resources are limited. Results, the cycle repeats itself. Therefore, what are the options out there.

The funny thing is, people that have bad credit can't get a decent job to pay off their debt, lol make up your mind silly government, if you want us to pay off our debt, then stop doing credit checks for us to be able to get a decent job. My boyfriend has a felony and I have bad credit. Together that spells ....broke The bad credit people have to pay for the people that have felony's, who are you trying to make pay? The government want the people that barely break even pay for the debt of the felonists!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.