waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (951 to 1000 of 2407)
Page:  « First « Previous   17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

ar1 in Lansing, Michigan

52 months ago

One of the instructors at the academy told me the same thing about the academy being canceled. She said there was one scheduled for the fall but the director of the academy said its cancelled until further notice.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota said: Bottom line…. There will be an academy this fall, next spring, next fall, etc. The bill that is in place is only in place to allow for community colleges to train correctional officers to compliment the central training academy, not replace it. Go ahead and read the bill. It is House Bill 5422. It specifically states: “House Bill 5422 allows that training also to be provided by a college or community college.” Arguments for the bill, further state that: “This bill is needed to help the Department of Corrections replace its retiring personnel in Michigan prisons with fully trained, new corrections officers. According to committee testimony, between 360 and 480 veteran corrections officers are retiring each year. A spokesman from the department says the training academy is unable to keep up with the demand for classes. This will provide that the 320 hours of new employee training could be completed either at the central training academy, or at a college or community college.”

In no way, shape, or form does this bill allow for the dismantling or deletion of the central academy it only provides a remedy for the fact that the academy alone cannot keep up with the hiring needs of the department.

Well I just spoke to somebody at recruitment and they said that nothing has been confirmed for a fall training. Looks like I'm just gonna have to not worry about and explore other opportunities just in case.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan

52 months ago

I'm starting to feel like I'm on a roller coaster!!!...there is gonna be an academy in the fall...there isn't gonna be an academy in the fall...I guess my question is if there isn't gonna be an academy, why did the state continue with all the PT testing and continue with the recruitment process?...I understand things change constantly, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue the academy when there are jobs to fill...my recruiter told me at the end of March to broaden my availability because the state was hiring approximately 690 new correction officers...that's a lot of jobs to fill...does anyone know what is really going on?...I'm concerned because I've kinda disregarded a couple of other opportunities that have come my way recently...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I'm starting to feel like I'm on a roller coaster!!!...there is gonna be an academy in the fall...there isn't gonna be an academy in the fall...I guess my question is if there isn't gonna be an academy, why did the state continue with all the PT testing and continue with the recruitment process?...I understand things change constantly, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue the academy when there are jobs to fill...my recruiter told me at the end of March to broaden my availability because the state was hiring approximately 690 new correction officers...that's a lot of jobs to fill...does anyone know what is really going on?...I'm concerned because I've kinda disregarded a couple of other opportunities that have come my way recently...

I know how you feel. I really want to know what's going on because I did decline some other opportunities for this because...I REALLY would like to work for the state and be a corrections officer. So I am with you John, can please somebody tell us what's REALLY going on.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Politics in Michigan

52 months ago

Hey John and Mike,
It's about politics. The Governor wrote the 2014 budget(which starts in OCT of 2013) to include 9 million dollars for the hiring and training of 400 new corrections officers. The House and Senate also each have a say in the budget. The Senate budget only had 1.8 million for new hires and training. The House budget had zero dollars for training and wanted the colleges to take over training in whole. When there is discrepancy between the Branches with respect to the budget, it goes to "committee". The committee decides whether to go with the Governor, the Senate, or the House. On 5/23/2013 it was sent to committee. On 5/24/2013 the committee went with the Governor and included the 9 million. Nothing can be planned until the budget is passed by the House and Senate and signed by the Governor. Which is supposedly going to happen by June 1st. Good Luck guys! I hope it all plays out well.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Southfield, Michigan

52 months ago

Politics in Michigan said: Hey John and Mike,
It's about politics. The Governor wrote the 2014 budget(which starts in OCT of 2013) to include 9 million dollars for the hiring and training of 400 new corrections officers. The House and Senate also each have a say in the budget. The Senate budget only had 1.8 million for new hires and training. The House budget had zero dollars for training and wanted the colleges to take over training in whole. When there is discrepancy between the Branches with respect to the budget, it goes to "committee". The committee decides whether to go with the Governor, the Senate, or the House. On 5/23/2013 it was sent to committee. On 5/24/2013 the committee went with the Governor and included the 9 million. Nothing can be planned until the budget is passed by the House and Senate and signed by the Governor. Which is supposedly going to happen by June 1st. Good Luck guys! I hope it all plays out well.

Well that's good news! Where can I follow the news?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Politics in Michigan

52 months ago

Mike in Southfield, Michigan said: Well that's good news! Where can I follow the news?

You can go to Michigan.gov/budget to see the process. Or just watch the news, when you hear that the budget has been passed, go on-line and look at the Corrections Section of the budget and check to make sure the 9 million for training was included.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

Anybody know the word on if they passed it or not?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota

52 months ago

Mike in Troy, Michigan said: Anybody know the word on if they passed it or not?

The full $9 mil was passed unanimously in the House on the 29th. Now it just has to be approved by the Senate and won't happen until sometime next week. Bottom line.... There will be a training Academy this fall! Here's the link. I can't post the link to the article, but go to Google and type in Lansing State Journal, Michigan, Budget, Department of Corrections, Training.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

That's awesome! They are still not going to call until after July 4th?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota

52 months ago

I spoke with my recruiter today and was told that if everything passes as expected that I should expect a call sometime in late June to come out in July and take my drug test and physical. My guess is that they will start the academy sometime in late August/early September.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Southfield, Michigan

52 months ago

Well that's good for you! They will probably tell ME that I'm just in the pool lol. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question I don't know. All I can do now is hope and pray. *Fingers Crossed*

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

Hello,

I had my interview on June 5th. I passed that and the PT. A recruiter called my past employers the next day. He also had me resend in a employment history form. I left a spot blank under job duty. I turned in all my employer reference sheets the day of the Interview. Hopefull I get a call soon. I'm located in Adrian

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: These places all take a very long time to get back with you. Most state jobs you will never hear anything either way. It took me 4 months after applying to the prison to get the job offer. Some it took 9 months or more. Just depends on your credentials and which prison you are applying for. The prison I was hired for only took 6 people. Some only took 1 or zero. So depending on where you put down for your preference, there may have only been a handful of jobs or no jobs available.

And I havent applied for Kalamazoo but I did apply at Jackson and Washtenaw counties for corrections. Never heard from Washtenaw even though I have MCOLES and EMPCO with high scores. Jackson has had me come in for 4 interviews in the past 5 months. They still havent hired anyone but claim to have it narrowed to three of us now. There is quite a bit of competition for everything and the places are slow to hire. I have an associate and bachelors with a 3.9 gpa. Over half of the academy has at least a bachelors. And there are just about as many that have a military background, law enforcement background, or a degree with military. The prison surely doesn't care about body weight. You just have to pass the PT test and written exams, and endure a military style academy for 18 weeks.

Chad are you at Gus Harrison?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chad in Saginaw, Michigan

52 months ago

I had a interview back in march 20th and they have already called and checked my references but i haven't heard anything from my recruiter i called him once and he told me that i scored high that and im in the pool is that good or should i start planning a new career and does anyone know when they are going to be calling for the sept class

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

chad in Saginaw, Michigan said: I had a interview back in march 20th and they have already called and checked my references but i haven't heard anything from my recruiter i called him once and he told me that i scored high that and im in the pool is that good or should i start planning a new career and does anyone know when they are going to be calling for the sept class

From what I heard it's going to be after the 4th of July.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chad12 in Adrian, Michigan

52 months ago

chris in Detroit, Michigan said: Chad are you at Gus Harrison?

Yep. I'm there. Its not a bad place to work. A lot cleaner than you would expect.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: Yep. I'm there. Its not a bad place to work. A lot cleaner than you would expect.

That's good. Hopefully I get a phone call here soon

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

chris in Alma, Michigan said: That's good. Hopefully I get a phone call here soon

We were told your academy wouldnt be starting until September 1st so you still have some time. They'll do the interviews and PT test starting around 2 months out. And the phone calls with job offers start a month before the academy.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: We were told your academy wouldnt be starting until September 1st so you still have some time. They'll do the interviews and PT test starting around 2 months out. And the phone calls with job offers start a month before the academy.

Thanks man. I passed both last week and Joe called all my employers the next day. So I hope that's a good sign.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

chris in Alma, Michigan said: Thanks man. I passed both last week and Joe called all my employers the next day. So I hope that's a good sign.

Maybe you will get lucky and have the academy start in August. They don't usually do the PT tests that far out. But they also said your group could end up being extremely large in size.

Either way, I will most likely be looking to get rid of all my gray sweats which people will need to buy for PT. I bought 6 sweatshirts and 6 sweat pants. I believe they are all larges. I didn't ever wear the tops. I have to figure out what I want for them too.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

Let me know man as I live in Adrian as well

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Wayne, Michigan

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: We were told your academy wouldnt be starting until September 1st so you still have some time. They'll do the interviews and PT test starting around 2 months out. And the phone calls with job offers start a month before the academy.

Joe just emailed me to tell me I'm in the applicat pool and that the academy has not been set, but there aiming for the end of September.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Farmington, Michigan

52 months ago

Hello everyone I have been following this forum for a brief moment. Can anyone tell me how soon do they schedule the pt testing and interviews after they received your application and employment history forms? I was able to waive the initial testing with my degree

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

I think 12 weeks is what the paper said. I'm not sure though. I applied last year and ended up getting really sick so I never had my transcript from school sent. So that delayed me until now. But I can tell you this, I had my transcript sent and I got a call with an interview date the same week.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Romulus, Michigan

52 months ago

Curt in Farmington, Michigan said: Hello everyone I have been following this forum for a brief moment. Can anyone tell me how soon do they schedule the pt testing and interviews after they received your application and employment history forms? I was able to waive the initial testing with my degree

Took me a year and a half to get in.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

Kevin in Romulus, Michigan said: Took me a year and a half to get in.

Yea it seems like a slow process

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Flint, Michigan

52 months ago

Absolutely...but I graduated the academy may 24, so it was worth the wait.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

Kevin in Flint, Michigan said: Absolutely...but I graduated the academy may 24, so it was worth the wait.

Congrats man. I hope I get into the next academy.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Farmington, Michigan

52 months ago

Kevin in Flint, Michigan said: Absolutely...but I graduated the academy may 24, so it was worth the wait.

Congrats to you. Hopefully it won't be a year and half. I just graduated this past May and was planning to go to grad school. Figured I'll wait a little bit inc ADR I get hired in time for the September or January academy

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Alma, Michigan

52 months ago

I hope they don't wait until September to call. That's when my next semester of school starts. I hope it's before that so I can figure out my school situation.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Sterling Heights, Michigan

52 months ago

How is the food in the academy? Can you go home on weekends? What about evenings? How hard is the PT? Are the instructors decent or are they a**holes? Do a lot of people "flunk" out?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Wayne, Michigan

52 months ago

Matt in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: How is the food in the academy? Can you go home on weekends? What about evenings? How hard is the PT? Are the instructors decent or are they a**holes? Do a lot of people "flunk" out?

Matt, are you in the applicant pool?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Matt in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: How is the food in the academy? Can you go home on weekends? What about evenings? How hard is the PT? Are the instructors decent or are they a**holes? Do a lot of people "flunk" out?

Matt,
The food at the academy is pretty decent. There were only a couple meals I didn't care for. But it is all you can eat basically. You can grab multiple main dishes, deserts, and there is always a salad bar. You can go home every night if you wish and you have to go home weekends unless you live pretty far away. Evenings are yours to do as you please. You can go out as long as you are either back at the academy by 11pm if you are returning. If not you can sleep in your car or go home and show up the next day. Many people joined a gym down the road to work out at night. Some would stay most of the week at the academy and commute like 1 day. The PT depends on who you have for an instructor. I had LT Jerome. Our group did the most and hardest PT and we did finish as the strongest and smartest group (yes they keep track for their own bragging rights). We would run, and do hundreds of pushups and situps each day. It doesn't matter as much if you can do the stuff as long as you are giving it 100% effort and trying to push yourself. Even if you don't push yourself all they do is yell at you. You wont be kicked out or anything. But all the instructors are very strict for the first couple weeks. After that some only did PT once a week. One class was given coffee and donuts every morning even. But there wasn't an instructor I didn't like or didn't have respect for. They all have a lot of knowledge and are only there to make you a better officer. We only had like 8 or 10 that quit and that was in the first couple weeks. One "left" the night before graduation due to an incident involving alcohol so I would recommend not drinking during the week. Nobody flunks out. The tests are not that hard and they cover everything you need for them.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: Matt,

And everyone in our class that didn't quit passed every test. And everyone passed the fitness test. Some had to take it 3 times but by the end of the academy you will be in great shape and will pass. Just think of it this way - you are getting paid to work out, you get a free fitness instructor, you get all your meals and lodging free, you have insurance, and you get paid the whole time. I thought the academy was great. Just follow the rules even if they seem insignificant to you. And don't do anything to stand out negatively. Meaning dont be the last one to show up each day or the last from lunch or breaks. If you are on time you are late. And dont be the one who can't iron your uniform properly, make sure you're groomed and boots are polished each day, and make sure you have everything you need for the day (books, pens, paper, pt clothes, room key, demerit card, drivers license). Everyday you need that stuff. And clean everything in your room like you have OCD. No spots on the mirrors, no dust, no lint on the floor, and you have to make your bed everyday. Its all very easy after the first couple days you'll have the hang of it. I found it better to stay at the academy to bond with your fellow classmates and that way you can help each other out.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Wayne, Michigan

52 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: Matt,
The food at the academy is pretty decent. There were only a couple meals I didn't care for. But it is all you can eat basically. You can grab multiple main dishes, deserts, and there is always a salad bar. You can go home every night if you wish and you have to go home weekends unless you live pretty far away. Evenings are yours to do as you please. You can go out as long as you are either back at the academy by 11pm if you are returning. If not you can sleep in your car or go home and show up the next day. Many people joined a gym down the road to work out at night. Some would stay most of the week at the academy and commute like 1 day. The PT depends on who you have for an instructor. I had LT Jerome. Our group did the most and hardest PT and we did finish as the strongest and smartest group (yes they keep track for their own bragging rights). We would run, and do hundreds of pushups and situps each day. It doesn't matter as much if you can do the stuff as long as you are giving it 100% effort and trying to push yourself. Even if you don't push yourself all they do is yell at you. You wont be kicked out or anything. But all the instructors are very strict for the first couple weeks. After that some only did PT once a week. One class was given coffee and donuts every morning even. But there wasn't an instructor I didn't like or didn't have respect for. They all have a lot of knowledge and are only there to make you a better officer. We only had like 8 or 10 that quit and that was in the first couple weeks. One "left" the night before graduation due to an incident involving alcohol so I would recommend not drinking during the week. Nobody flunks out. The tests are not that hard and they cover everything you need for them.

Chad,

Thanks for that information. I'm going to starting working out in case my number gets called.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

chris in Wayne, Michigan said: Chad,

Thanks for that information. I'm going to starting working out in case my number gets called.

If you have an Xbox 360 with Kinect you should probably buy the Nike fitness game. All of the workouts on the game are what you will be doing at the academy. I bought it for my own training not realizing it was pretty much the same stuff. But if you dont just do a bunch of situps and pushups multiple times each day. Those are what most people struggled with. It will just make things easier on you. The running is more like a very slow jog when you do it because everyone stays together as a group. You're only as fast as the slowest person.
Oh, and run up and down the stairs a lot. If you stay at the academy your room will be up on probably the 6th floor which is about 9 flights of stairs. And if you get demerits you will either have to run from the basement to the top of the stairs multiple times ( say 15 or so flights of stairs) or you will do pushups.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Thank you Chad. I'm currently doing about 140 push ups and 100 crunches a day. I'll try to step that up a bit. I appreciate all the information, and any additional advice or information that you can think of would also be greatly appreciated.

@ Chris - I'm not sure. I think I am in the pool based on what my recruiter told me in March. I am preparing as though I am in case I get a call. If not, at least I'm in better shape than I was 6 months ago. LOL

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris in Utica, Michigan

52 months ago

Matt in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Thank you Chad. I'm currently doing about 140 push ups and 100 crunches a day. I'll try to step that up a bit. I appreciate all the information, and any additional advice or information that you can think of would also be greatly appreciated.

@ Chris - I'm not sure. I think I am in the pool based on what my recruiter told me in March. I am preparing as though I am in case I get a call. If not, at least I'm in better shape than I was 6 months ago. LOL

Lol I was thinking the same thing. At least ill be in better shape lol. Are you doing the push ups in one set?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

Well, I just saw the the governor just signed the new budget with the 9 million in training! I just have to wait if I get picked. Hopefully!

I should start doing push-ups too, just in case lol.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris81 in Adrian, Michigan

52 months ago

Mike in Troy, Michigan said: Well, I just saw the the governor just signed the new budget with the 9 million in training! I just have to wait if I get picked. Hopefully!

I should start doing push-ups too, just in case lol.

Lol good idea. I wonder how many they will hire this fall.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

@ Chris - I do about 20 - 25 in a row, then rest a couple of minutes and start again...I saw the news that Snyder signed the budget...good luck to everyone on getting picked...I hope the job offers start rolling in soon...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Troy, Michigan

52 months ago

Hopefully ALOT because last time I heard they need...ALOT lol. I am just gonna enjoy my summer and not stress about it because if I do get it...I probably won't have a life because Ill be working all the time. :)...which is definitely a GOOD thing.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Mike in Troy, Michigan said: Hopefully ALOT because last time I heard they need...ALOT lol. I am just gonna enjoy my summer and not stress about it because if I do get it...I probably won't have a life because Ill be working all the time. :)...which is definitely a GOOD thing.

Good point! Thanks man

Good luck to everyone

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Anyone been hired without a degree?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

52 months ago

Chris81 in Adrian, Michigan said: Anyone been hired without a degree?

Yes, they will hire you. I only had a Correction Officer Certificate.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

52 months ago

Matt in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Thank you Chad. I'm currently doing about 140 push ups and 100 crunches a day. I'll try to step that up a bit. I appreciate all the information, and any additional advice or information that you can think of would also be greatly appreciated.

Also - remember those BERTHA steps..you'll have to complete 60 trips in 3 minutes in the academy. You'll have your first PT test the first couple of days in the academy. Continue to do deep lunges, work on your breathing technique, and climb bleachers or taller steps as often as you can. Schools are great for this.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Davison, Michigan

51 months ago

Just got my civil service test results back, and sent in the pre-employment application farm and the criminal history check form.

Im hopen to hear back soon with a interview and physical date, to hopefully be able to get in the september academy.

but if it takes 12 weeks like it says i maybe a little late to get in.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Andrew in Davison, Michigan said: Just got my civil service test results back, and sent in the pre-employment application farm and the criminal history check form.

Im hopen to hear back soon with a interview and physical date, to hopefully be able to get in the september academy.

but if it takes 12 weeks like it says i maybe a little late to get in.

Good luck man. I hope it doesn't take that long.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: If you have an Xbox 360 with Kinect you should probably buy the Nike fitness game. All of the workouts on the game are what you will be doing at the academy. I bought it for my own training not realizing it was pretty much the same stuff. But if you dont just do a bunch of situps and pushups multiple times each day. Those are what most people struggled with. It will just make things easier on you. The running is more like a very slow jog when you do it because everyone stays together as a group. You're only as fast as the slowest person.
Oh, and run up and down the stairs a lot. If you stay at the academy your room will be up on probably the 6th floor which is about 9 flights of stairs. And if you get demerits you will either have to run from the basement to the top of the stairs multiple times ( say 15 or so flights of stairs) or you will do pushups.

This may sound like a stupid question but what the does the physical consist of after you take your drug test?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.