waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (951 to 1000 of 2247)
Page:  « First « Previous   17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan

16 months ago

When do you find out what facility that you're assigned to? Does that happen when they offer you the job? Do they discuss pay, benefits, advancement, etc. prior to the job offer? What time do classes start and end in the academy? Are the rooms single or double?( had a bad roommate once...lol)Is the academy military style or more of a college classroom atmosphere? Does anyone know if the training for state corrections is the same as for county corrections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan

16 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: When do you find out what facility that you're assigned to? Does that happen when they offer you the job? Do they discuss pay, benefits, advancement, etc. prior to the job offer? What time do classes start and end in the academy? Are the rooms single or double?( had a bad roommate once...lol)Is the academy military style or more of a college classroom atmosphere? Does anyone know if the training for state corrections is the same as for county corrections?

You find out the facility when the offer is made. You can ask that fella all the questions about everything you want. Classes start at 10 minutes till 8am. Go anywhere from 4:20 up to 5:00 depending on if you or your group got in trouble. It is not a college atmosphere. It is paramilitary style. No talking, only marching and you can't turn your head to look at anything. Rooms are double and you may get a bad roommate. Rooms also have to be perfect and are inspected. It is not even close to county corrections. Much more in depth and way more strict.

Mike in Warren, Michigan

15 months ago

I did my PT test and interview and past them last month (April). I called recruitment and asked if I am in the pool...they said yes. Does this mean they already checked my references? I have my bachelor degree and I'm just really worried if I have a good chance of making the September training (that's when training starts). I applied to most of the SE centers including Jackson. Can somebody ease my worries? Lol

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota

15 months ago

Mike in Warren, Michigan said: I did my PT test and interview and past them last month (April). I called recruitment and asked if I am in the pool...they said yes. Does this mean they already checked my references? I have my bachelor degree and I'm just really worried if I have a good chance of making the September training (that's when training starts). I applied to most of the SE centers including Jackson. Can somebody ease my worries? Lol

They have the approval to hire nearly 700 new officers and even got the okay to hire an additional 60 for an intake center in Detroit they are re-opening. Call your references and ask then if they have been called for a check. I was told that the calls for the September Academy will be going out right after the 4th of July holiday. They have many of the people for the September Academy chosen because they were lining them up in April before they decided the Academy was postponed. I am thinking your chances are pretty good considering the number of people they are hiring. Within the first two weeks of the April Academy they lost nearly 20 recruits.

Mike in Southfield, Michigan

15 months ago

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota said: They have the approval to hire nearly 700 new officers and even got the okay to hire an additional 60 for an intake center in Detroit they are re-opening. Call your references and ask then if they have been called for a check. I was told that the calls for the September Academy will be going out right after the 4th of July holiday. They have many of the people for the September Academy chosen because they were lining them up in April before they decided the Academy was postponed. I am thinking your chances are pretty good considering the number of people they are hiring. Within the first two weeks of the April Academy they lost nearly 20 recruits.

What do you mean they already have people chosen for the September training? Doesn't that decrease my chances?

15 months ago

Mike in Southfield, Michigan said: What do you mean they already have people chosen for the September training? Doesn't that decrease my chances?

NO....They were in the process of filling positions for the June Academy when it was decided that they were going to delay the Academy until Spetember. Like I said they have the funding to fill over 700 positions for the 2013 calendar year plus they added an additional 60 positions because they are going back online with the Detroit Reception Center (My guess is it will be the Ryan facility). They ran an academy in January (200+ recruits), they ran one in April (160+ recruits)and lost quite a few recruits, so my guess is they still have an additional 300+ spots to fill this year. I'd say your chances are pretty good. I know this because I was supposed to go to the April Academy, but I made arrangements with my recruiter to go to the June Academy instead. She has been in touch with me regularly to make sure I haven't changed my mind. (I have over 10 years experience. My guess is that he September Academy is going to be HUGE and will be the last Academy they run because it will be going into the State College system after this year.

Mike in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

Well hopefully next month or in the beginning of July they call, I can only do a desk job for so long lol. You wouldn't happen to know which Facilities need the most do you? You seem to have the inside scoop ;).

15 months ago

Any kind of indication regarding whether you will get a call or not? My recruiter told me in March that based on my education, test scores and interview, he is almost certain that I will get a job offer. My current employer informed me that the state already conducted my background check.That being said, I don't just want to sit around on my hands in case other opportunities are available. Is there some sort of list that shows where one rates in terms of being offered the job? Also, why did they lose so many recruits in April? That concerns me since I would have to quit my current job to accept tis one, and I don't want to be left unemployed. I was also wondering the same thing as Mike regarding what facilities need the most staffing?

Corrina Edmonson in Kalamazoo, Michigan

15 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Any kind of indication regarding whether you will get a call or not? My recruiter told me in March that based on my education, test scores and interview, he is almost certain that I will get a job offer. My current employer informed me that the state already conducted my background check.That being said, I don't just want to sit around on my hands in case other opportunities are available. Is there some sort of list that shows where one rates in terms of being offered the job? Also, why did they lose so many recruits in April? That concerns me since I would have to quit my current job to accept tis one, and I don't want to be left unemployed. I was also wondering the same thing as Mike regarding what facilities need the most staffing?

They will call you when they want to.They ran a background check on me to in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I guess I will leave it up to God.They lost so many recruits I heard in April because of money that they did not have coming in from the state budget.I just took a job making nearly $10 an hour. I thought I would be working at the Kalamazoo County Jail by now. I do not graduate until April 2014 with my Bachelors in social work.I heard that most people who are being hired in have their bachelors in criminal justice already.I am still collecting unemployment compensation and working paert time at my new job.I wish you the best of luck to all of you that want to work as correcection officers in the world.

Mike in Brighton, Michigan

15 months ago

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota said: They have the approval to hire nearly 700 new officers and even got the okay to hire an additional 60 for an intake center in Detroit they are re-opening. Call your references and ask then if they have been called for a check. I was told that the calls for the September Academy will be going out right after the 4th of July holiday. They have many of the people for the September Academy chosen because they were lining them up in April before they decided the Academy was postponed. I am thinking your chances are pretty good considering the number of people they are hiring. Within the first two weeks of the April Academy they lost nearly 20 recruits.

I actually called my references and 1 of them said they they called them. Two of them said that they sent them an email to confirm they were the person to write my references. Good right?

15 months ago

Mike in Brighton, Michigan said: I actually called my references and 1 of them said they they called them. Two of them said that they sent them an email to confirm they were the person to write my references. Good right?

If they called your references and your references verified that they wrote the reference letter and all then I would say that your chances are VERY good. Most people in the Academy will tell you the job offer came soon after the references were checked. My references were checked within two weeks after my PT/Interview and my job offer came just a few weeks after that.

15 months ago

Corrina Edmonson in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: They will call you when they want to.They ran a background check on me to in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I guess I will leave it up to God.They lost so many recruits I heard in April because of money that they did not have coming in from the state budget.I just took a job making nearly $10 an hour. I thought I would be working at the Kalamazoo County Jail by now. I do not graduate until April 2014 with my Bachelors in social work.I heard that most people who are being hired in have their bachelors in criminal justice already.I am still collecting unemployment compensation and working paert time at my new job.I wish you the best of luck to all of you that want to work as correcection officers in the world.

They lost a lot of recruits in April not because of the budget they lost them because the economy is improving and they either left to take another job, failed the tests,or misbehaved and got fired.

The reason they delayed the June Academy has nothing to do with budget constraints, they simply needed the facilities to run a State Police Academy and it was prime vacation time so they did not have the staff or facilities to run a corrections academy. The state is moving the corrections academy into the college system so the sheer number of eligible recruits going forward is going to drop off dramatically.

They need to hire a large number of officers to make up not only for the lack of recruits going forward, but to replace officers who retire, leave or get fired. As far a work goes, keep trying. My wife just got an Accounting position making $40K with the government in the area that I will be working and they interviewed her over the phone.

The state does not hire county workers, so if you are counting on the state to give you a job for Kalamazoo County you will be waiting awhile.

15 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Any kind of indication regarding whether you will get a call or not? My recruiter told me in March that based on my education, test scores and interview, he is almost certain that I will get a job offer. My current employer informed me that the state already conducted my background check.That being said, I don't just want to sit around on my hands in case other opportunities are available. Is there some sort of list that shows where one rates in terms of being offered the job? Also, why did they lose so many recruits in April? That concerns me since I would have to quit my current job to accept tis one, and I don't want to be left unemployed. I was also wondering the same thing as Mike regarding what facilities need the most staffing?

It's a waiting game John. I am a LT. for the DOCR out here in North Dakota and have worked in the field for over 10 years. It took them a year to get me out there, interviewed and tested, but once that started happening things moved quickly. I can tell you this.... They will not be doing anything until after the 4th of July holiday and at that time they will be making preparations for a September Academy. They lose a ton of recruits in every Academy, either the recruits fail the PT tests, academic tests, misbehave or leave for personal reasons. I was told they lost 20 recruits in the first 2-3 weeks because people left to take better jobs but other times people find out very quickly that this type of work isn't for them. The academy is very stringent.

15 months ago

Mike in Troy, Michigan said: Well hopefully next month or in the beginning of July they call, I can only do a desk job for so long lol. You wouldn't happen to know which Facilities need the most do you? You seem to have the inside scoop ;).

They will be hiring statewide for the next Academy (September) meaning they will need officers to work all over the state. They also got approval to hire an addition 60 officers because they are re-opening a facility in Detroit for intake which was previously closed. So there is a sign that they are not downsizing.

Believe me, I am going nuts too! I was supposed to be in the April Academy, but held off for the next academy, because I have to move my wife and kids out there with me. I constantly second guess myself, but I speak with my recruiter regularly (we call each other) and I am told that nothing has changed and they are just in a holding pattern until July.

The only suggestion I have for you is DO NOT constantly hound the recruiting office. They have their hands full and you will just get on their nerves. If they want to talk to you they will call you. My suggestion is to go on with life and when they call....Be ready because at that point everything will move at 100 mph.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tdog in Saginaw, Michigan

15 months ago

In the Lansing Journal it said that they might not have any more academy because they wanted to turn over all training to the colleges effective immediately. So the April academy might be the last.

15 months ago

Tdog in Saginaw, Michigan said: In the Lansing Journal it said that they might not have any more academy because they wanted to turn over all training to the colleges effective immediately. So the April academy might be the last.

Well...they are gonna have one in September. That will probably be the last.

15 months ago

Mike in Southfield, Michigan said: Well...they are gonna have one in September. That will probably be the last.

I agree T-Dog. The entire article talks about cuts in the 2014 budget and even if the community colleges take over the academy this fall, there is no way in heck that they will meet the hiring needs of the MDOC immediately. First off, they need to fill 400-500 spots immediately and that isn't including the 50 per month that retire. Two, there is no way that 3 community colleges are going to graduate 400-500 new graduates in the first semester. Three, the funding for the September Academy is already in place and nowhere does the article even come close to mentioning cuts for 2013. Lastly, I spoke with my recruiter just last week and was assured that there will be a September Academy and was even told when to plan my move and expect to go and take my physical, drug and TB tests. Don't worry. There WILL be a fall Academy. It may be the last one, but there will be one.

One more thing.....The article talks about "gutting the $9 mil training budget for 2014" and paring it down to $1.8 mil. My guess is that the $9 mil will be cut, but the final number will end up being around $4-5 mil which would allow for one more Academy in the spring. My prediction: There will be one Academy in September and the last one will be in January.

15 months ago

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota said: I agree T-Dog. The entire article talks about cuts in the 2014 budget and even if the community colleges take over the academy this fall, there is no way in heck that they will meet the hiring needs of the MDOC immediately. First off, they need to fill 400-500 spots immediately and that isn't including the 50 per month that retire. Two, there is no way that 3 community colleges are going to graduate 400-500 new graduates in the first semester. Three, the funding for the September Academy is already in place and nowhere does the article even come close to mentioning cuts for 2013. Lastly, I spoke with my recruiter just last week and was assured that there will be a September Academy and was even told when to plan my move and expect to go and take my physical, drug and TB tests. Don't worry. There WILL be a fall Academy. It may be the last one, but there will be one.

One more thing.....The article talks about "gutting the $9 mil training budget for 2014" and paring it down to $1.8 mil. My guess is that the $9 mil will be cut, but the final number will end up being around $4-5 mil which would allow for one more Academy in the spring. My prediction: There will be one Academy in September and the last one will be in January.

Sorry.....it is Mike I agree with not T-Dog.

15 months ago

Awesome! This is the one time I hope the government moves slow!

15 months ago

I'm not sure about the one in January, I say this only because the police academy start in Jan 2014 and I hear they share the same facilities, maybe April 2014.

15 months ago

Tdog in Saginaw, Michigan said: I'm not sure about the one in January, I say this only because the police academy start in Jan 2014 and I hear they share the same facilities, maybe April 2014.

That makes a lot of sense, I wouldn't doubt that one bit. I just think there will be definitely one if not two more academies before they completely turn it over to the college system. I believe this deeply enough to sell my house and move back home to go the academy this fall. Hope to see you guys there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Does anybody know how long it takes to get to the full pay rate after you are hired? Is there a lot of overtime available? How long till health insurance kicks in? Do you get a pension or 401K? Are holidays and weekends off rotated? Is there shift premiums for working off shifts (i.e. afternoons, midnights, etc)Thanks for any info!!

Dave in Warren, Michigan

15 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Does anybody know how long it takes to get to the full pay rate after you are hired? Is there a lot of overtime available? How long till health insurance kicks in? Do you get a pension or 401K? Are holidays and weekends off rotated? Is there shift premiums for working off shifts (i.e. afternoons, midnights, etc)Thanks for any info!!

THE TRUTH: NOT BEING DISCOURAGING
- Dennis Straub Class of 2012-
1) 5.5 years
2) There was. It's slowing because all of the new hires. (YES there are retirements; but one or two a month and here there...eh it will be a awhile until it get's re-established)
3)Health insurance..I believe a week or two after employment starts (Yes, something positive)
4) There is no PENSION. The fat cats got rid of it back in April 1997. (and YES you will hear officers b*tch about how they had a massive hiring stage RIGHT after they passed that bill. If I was in their shoes I would feel the same.) YES there is a really good 401k plan.
5) Holidays weekends..rotations? Some facilities...YES. My facility..NO. you get an RDO requested days off and that's it. I am new. I get Tuesday's and Wednesday's off. There are people here in Jackson (RGC) who have been waiting 20 years to get Sat and Sun's off. Personally, I like the joints that have rotating weekends.
6) Shift premiums? YES. NOT when you are a red tag. But after that yes you get 5 percent.
Those of you from the Detroit area...either move..or just stick it out to get some experience and move on. There are a lot of state jobs you can apply for and get preference over. We had a green tag from Detroit who recently quit because he found a job in human services 10 minutes from his home. Hope this helped!

sarahmc23 in Pickford, Michigan

15 months ago

Dave in Warren, Michigan said: THE TRUTH: NOT BEING DISCOURAGING
- Dennis Straub Class of 2012-
1) 5.5 years
2) There was. It's slowing because all of the new hires. (YES there are retirements; but one or two a month and here there...eh it will be a awhile until it get's re-established)
3)Health insurance..I believe a week or two after employment starts (Yes, something positive)
4) There is no PENSION. The fat cats got rid of it back in April 1997. (and YES you will hear officers b*tch about how they had a massive hiring stage RIGHT after they passed that bill. If I was in their shoes I would feel the same.) YES there is a really good 401k plan.
5) Holidays weekends..rotations? Some facilities...YES. My facility..NO. you get an RDO requested days off and that's it. I am new. I get Tuesday's and Wednesday's off. There are people here in Jackson (RGC) who have been waiting 20 years to get Sat and Sun's off. Personally, I like the joints that have rotating weekends.
6) Shift premiums? YES. NOT when you are a red tag. But after that yes you get 5 percent.
Those of you from the Detroit area...either move..or just stick it out to get some experience and move on. There are a lot of state jobs you can apply for and get preference over. We had a green tag from Detroit who recently quit because he found a job in human services 10 minutes from his home. Hope this helped!

Rotating days are really nice. I personally don't think you can't be two 3 day weekends in a row when you get them.

Troy B in Lansing, Michigan

15 months ago

I was told today by MI human resources that the academy scheduled for October is now canceled. Something to do with the change over to college courses happening sooner than expected. She said the April academy that just graduated may very well be the last one the state runs.

15 months ago

@John
You are not authorized for overtime for any holidays or otherwise for one year. Your Warden does have the ability to shorten this to around 8 months.

For folks preparing or hoping to get into the next academy......I'll give you some advice. Save up a few hundred dollars now and set it aside. You will need plain gray gym shorts/sweats and tshirts/sweatshirts. You can re-wear things if you have easier days and some days you will have no PT. But there were weeks that we needed 5 gym outfits. (some went to the laundry mat or washed their clothes in the showers). You will also need to purchase enough white dress shirts and black dress pants to get you through the week for the first 3-4 weeks. With that "uniform" you will need a white undershirt (t-shirt style) and oxford dress shoes with black socks and a black leather belt. Once you get your uniforms you will have to pay to get the pant legs hemmed. These do not get ordered for length and the legs are not finished so you will have to pay to have this done quickly. There is a place near there that charges $5 a pair so you're looking at around $30. Some will also need to have their shirts tailored. Neither of the tailorings are optional. Once your uniform is hemmed you will need plain black t-shirts for under them and a tactical style military work boot ($60-$300). Lansing Uniform is a good place for those. Most spent around $150. Once you're on the job you will have to purchase a handcuff case, small high intensity flashlight, and a better key clip ($100 for all or less).
So needless to say, this job has an out-of-pocket initial investment. At the academy you will also need an iron, ironing board, starch, lint roller, boot polishing kit, notebook paper, and a few black (only black) ink pens.

Other expenses are gas, an end of class gift for the instructors ($5 each normally), pizza during a gym training day ($5), class picture (ours was taken by a classmate for free), and class t-shirts ($8 each).

15 months ago

Troy B in Lansing, Michigan said: I was told today by MI human resources that the academy scheduled for October is now canceled. Something to do with the change over to college courses happening sooner than expected. She said the April academy that just graduated may very well be the last one the state runs.

There will be a training in September...

15 months ago

Troy B in Lansing, Michigan said: I was told today by MI human resources that the academy scheduled for October is now canceled. Something to do with the change over to college courses happening sooner than expected. She said the April academy that just graduated may very well be the last one the state runs.

Bottom line…. There will be an academy this fall, next spring, next fall, etc. The bill that is in place is only in place to allow for community colleges to train correctional officers to compliment the central training academy, not replace it. Go ahead and read the bill. It is House Bill 5422. It specifically states: “House Bill 5422 allows that training also to be provided by a college or community college.” Arguments for the bill, further state that: “This bill is needed to help the Department of Corrections replace its retiring personnel in Michigan prisons with fully trained, new corrections officers. According to committee testimony, between 360 and 480 veteran corrections officers are retiring each year. A spokesman from the department says the training academy is unable to keep up with the demand for classes. This will provide that the 320 hours of new employee training could be completed either at the central training academy, or at a college or community college.”

In no way, shape, or form does this bill allow for the dismantling or deletion of the central academy it only provides a remedy for the fact that the academy alone cannot keep up with the hiring needs of the department.

AR1 in Lansing, Michigan

15 months ago

One of the instructors at the academy told me the same thing about the academy being canceled. She said there was one scheduled for the fall but the director of the academy said its cancelled until further notice.

Mike in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

theoldgoalie in Bismarck, North Dakota said: Bottom line…. There will be an academy this fall, next spring, next fall, etc. The bill that is in place is only in place to allow for community colleges to train correctional officers to compliment the central training academy, not replace it. Go ahead and read the bill. It is House Bill 5422. It specifically states: “House Bill 5422 allows that training also to be provided by a college or community college.” Arguments for the bill, further state that: “This bill is needed to help the Department of Corrections replace its retiring personnel in Michigan prisons with fully trained, new corrections officers. According to committee testimony, between 360 and 480 veteran corrections officers are retiring each year. A spokesman from the department says the training academy is unable to keep up with the demand for classes. This will provide that the 320 hours of new employee training could be completed either at the central training academy, or at a college or community college.”

In no way, shape, or form does this bill allow for the dismantling or deletion of the central academy it only provides a remedy for the fact that the academy alone cannot keep up with the hiring needs of the department.

Well I just spoke to somebody at recruitment and they said that nothing has been confirmed for a fall training. Looks like I'm just gonna have to not worry about and explore other opportunities just in case.

15 months ago

I'm starting to feel like I'm on a roller coaster!!!...there is gonna be an academy in the fall...there isn't gonna be an academy in the fall...I guess my question is if there isn't gonna be an academy, why did the state continue with all the PT testing and continue with the recruitment process?...I understand things change constantly, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue the academy when there are jobs to fill...my recruiter told me at the end of March to broaden my availability because the state was hiring approximately 690 new correction officers...that's a lot of jobs to fill...does anyone know what is really going on?...I'm concerned because I've kinda disregarded a couple of other opportunities that have come my way recently...

Mike in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

John in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I'm starting to feel like I'm on a roller coaster!!!...there is gonna be an academy in the fall...there isn't gonna be an academy in the fall...I guess my question is if there isn't gonna be an academy, why did the state continue with all the PT testing and continue with the recruitment process?...I understand things change constantly, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue the academy when there are jobs to fill...my recruiter told me at the end of March to broaden my availability because the state was hiring approximately 690 new correction officers...that's a lot of jobs to fill...does anyone know what is really going on?...I'm concerned because I've kinda disregarded a couple of other opportunities that have come my way recently...

I know how you feel. I really want to know what's going on because I did decline some other opportunities for this because...I REALLY would like to work for the state and be a corrections officer. So I am with you John, can please somebody tell us what's REALLY going on.

Politics in Michigan

15 months ago

Hey John and Mike,
It's about politics. The Governor wrote the 2014 budget(which starts in OCT of 2013) to include 9 million dollars for the hiring and training of 400 new corrections officers. The House and Senate also each have a say in the budget. The Senate budget only had 1.8 million for new hires and training. The House budget had zero dollars for training and wanted the colleges to take over training in whole. When there is discrepancy between the Branches with respect to the budget, it goes to "committee". The committee decides whether to go with the Governor, the Senate, or the House. On 5/23/2013 it was sent to committee. On 5/24/2013 the committee went with the Governor and included the 9 million. Nothing can be planned until the budget is passed by the House and Senate and signed by the Governor. Which is supposedly going to happen by June 1st. Good Luck guys! I hope it all plays out well.

15 months ago

Politics in Michigan said: Hey John and Mike,
It's about politics. The Governor wrote the 2014 budget(which starts in OCT of 2013) to include 9 million dollars for the hiring and training of 400 new corrections officers. The House and Senate also each have a say in the budget. The Senate budget only had 1.8 million for new hires and training. The House budget had zero dollars for training and wanted the colleges to take over training in whole. When there is discrepancy between the Branches with respect to the budget, it goes to "committee". The committee decides whether to go with the Governor, the Senate, or the House. On 5/23/2013 it was sent to committee. On 5/24/2013 the committee went with the Governor and included the 9 million. Nothing can be planned until the budget is passed by the House and Senate and signed by the Governor. Which is supposedly going to happen by June 1st. Good Luck guys! I hope it all plays out well.

Well that's good news! Where can I follow the news?

Politics in Michigan

15 months ago

Mike in Southfield, Michigan said: Well that's good news! Where can I follow the news?

You can go to Michigan.gov/budget to see the process. Or just watch the news, when you hear that the budget has been passed, go on-line and look at the Corrections Section of the budget and check to make sure the 9 million for training was included.

Mike in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

Anybody know the word on if they passed it or not?

15 months ago

Mike in Troy, Michigan said: Anybody know the word on if they passed it or not?

The full $9 mil was passed unanimously in the House on the 29th. Now it just has to be approved by the Senate and won't happen until sometime next week. Bottom line.... There will be a training Academy this fall! Here's the link. I can't post the link to the article, but go to Google and type in Lansing State Journal, Michigan, Budget, Department of Corrections, Training.

Mike in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

That's awesome! They are still not going to call until after July 4th?

15 months ago

I spoke with my recruiter today and was told that if everything passes as expected that I should expect a call sometime in late June to come out in July and take my drug test and physical. My guess is that they will start the academy sometime in late August/early September.

15 months ago

Well that's good for you! They will probably tell ME that I'm just in the pool lol. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question I don't know. All I can do now is hope and pray. *Fingers Crossed*

chris in Detroit, Michigan

14 months ago

Hello,

I had my interview on June 5th. I passed that and the PT. A recruiter called my past employers the next day. He also had me resend in a employment history form. I left a spot blank under job duty. I turned in all my employer reference sheets the day of the Interview. Hopefull I get a call soon. I'm located in Adrian

14 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: These places all take a very long time to get back with you. Most state jobs you will never hear anything either way. It took me 4 months after applying to the prison to get the job offer. Some it took 9 months or more. Just depends on your credentials and which prison you are applying for. The prison I was hired for only took 6 people. Some only took 1 or zero. So depending on where you put down for your preference, there may have only been a handful of jobs or no jobs available.

And I havent applied for Kalamazoo but I did apply at Jackson and Washtenaw counties for corrections. Never heard from Washtenaw even though I have MCOLES and EMPCO with high scores. Jackson has had me come in for 4 interviews in the past 5 months. They still havent hired anyone but claim to have it narrowed to three of us now. There is quite a bit of competition for everything and the places are slow to hire. I have an associate and bachelors with a 3.9 gpa. Over half of the academy has at least a bachelors. And there are just about as many that have a military background, law enforcement background, or a degree with military. The prison surely doesn't care about body weight. You just have to pass the PT test and written exams, and endure a military style academy for 18 weeks.

Chad are you at Gus Harrison?

chad in Saginaw, Michigan

14 months ago

I had a interview back in march 20th and they have already called and checked my references but i haven't heard anything from my recruiter i called him once and he told me that i scored high that and im in the pool is that good or should i start planning a new career and does anyone know when they are going to be calling for the sept class

14 months ago

chad in Saginaw, Michigan said: I had a interview back in march 20th and they have already called and checked my references but i haven't heard anything from my recruiter i called him once and he told me that i scored high that and im in the pool is that good or should i start planning a new career and does anyone know when they are going to be calling for the sept class

From what I heard it's going to be after the 4th of July.

14 months ago

chris in Detroit, Michigan said: Chad are you at Gus Harrison?

Yep. I'm there. Its not a bad place to work. A lot cleaner than you would expect.

chris in Alma, Michigan

14 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: Yep. I'm there. Its not a bad place to work. A lot cleaner than you would expect.

That's good. Hopefully I get a phone call here soon

14 months ago

chris in Alma, Michigan said: That's good. Hopefully I get a phone call here soon

We were told your academy wouldnt be starting until September 1st so you still have some time. They'll do the interviews and PT test starting around 2 months out. And the phone calls with job offers start a month before the academy.

chris in Alma, Michigan

14 months ago

Chad12 in Adrian, Michigan said: We were told your academy wouldnt be starting until September 1st so you still have some time. They'll do the interviews and PT test starting around 2 months out. And the phone calls with job offers start a month before the academy.

Thanks man. I passed both last week and Joe called all my employers the next day. So I hope that's a good sign.

14 months ago

chris in Alma, Michigan said: Thanks man. I passed both last week and Joe called all my employers the next day. So I hope that's a good sign.

Maybe you will get lucky and have the academy start in August. They don't usually do the PT tests that far out. But they also said your group could end up being extremely large in size.

Either way, I will most likely be looking to get rid of all my gray sweats which people will need to buy for PT. I bought 6 sweatshirts and 6 sweat pants. I believe they are all larges. I didn't ever wear the tops. I have to figure out what I want for them too.

chris in Alma, Michigan

14 months ago

Let me know man as I live in Adrian as well

Page:  « First « Previous   17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.