waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 2260)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

stevema in Michigan

68 months ago

David Wale in Oak Ridge, Tennessee said: Again, I go by what I was told which was "we arent hiring any white males and if you got in and you havent served your country I guess maybe your lucky and should play the lottery! You can not tell me that it isn't the way I say it is I lived it! This is for Steve M that thinks he knows everything. As far as passing the interview and pt test I also passed that with flying colors and put in for any facility in the State of Michigan. Whatever happened in the decisions that they made wasnt because I failed anything because that is also what I was told. I passed and was plaed in the applicant pool for 2 years until I said screw it and moved to Tennessee. The ladies name is Kay Valor or Valon whom tld me we arent hiring any white males. At least she was honest. I guess I just wasnt as lucky as you Steve congratulations.

You may think that I am acting like a know-it-all David, but just as you lived your experiences, I lived mine. I hear you talk about MDOC HR people who told you that they werent hiring white males. I went to an MDOC academy that had many white males. Actually, the majority of the 180 something recruits in my academy were white males. Slight majority, but definately a majority.

You talk of one or two people who claimed that they won't hire you because you're a white male, but I've seen the people that are being hired. What I am seeing contradicts what you are saying. Many of my fellow recruits were not only white males, but they were white males with military background.

Bottom line is that I DON'T think you are lying. It is very possible that these MDOC HR people really did tell you what you say they did. If they did, they were lying to you. That is unforgiveable, especially given your service to our country. I meant no attack with my last post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Flint, Michigan

68 months ago

When is the next acadamy? any one heard a peep from a birdie or something? give me a somthing.

jody.mason in Trenton, Michigan

68 months ago

I would love to know that to. I am a 35 year old female and am currently in the job applicant pool. I did the interview and phs. fit. test in Nov. and passed with flying colors. Background check was fine so I am just waiting to hear anything. Could I be waiting for years? Should I start looking for another line of work? I am currently unemployed and quite honestly I was really thinking I wouldn't have a problem as I will be finished with my Bach. Degree this year. However, I am really getting worried. Jody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

k in Saginaw, Michigan

68 months ago

Im in the same boat as you are. I took my interview and pt in October and passed everything. I spoke with some one a while ago and they said that the academy was on a hiring freeze. I would also like to know if anything academies will be coming up soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Flint, Michigan

68 months ago

k in Saginaw, Michigan said: Im in the same boat as you are. I took my interview and pt in October and passed everything. I spoke with some one a while ago and they said that the academy was on a hiring freeze. I would also like to know if anything academies will be coming up soon.[/QUOTE

You will be in the next acadamy IF you have been called and offered a job like I was. that is what I have been told by the department. I am all set to start, I went to the Doctor and got tested for dope, my helth status, and tb tests. all set to go, now it's a waiting game. If you have not gotten called I don't think you will be starting anytime soon but who knows?

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan

68 months ago

hey josh
any information on the class in may some people say there is. most likely all the individuals offered jobs for the jan class will be called back but with any luck maybe they will add some of us waiting aswell. can only hope. good luck to you thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in ST JOHNS, Michigan

68 months ago

Duke in Flint, Michigan said: I was offered a job, accepted it, and was all set to start Jan 9. They called it off and now I hear maybe it will be early spring or summer. Any one else in this situation? Does any one have any solid information? I know it is hard to come by these days.

Hey Duke....I, too, was scheduled to enter the January academy. It is "on hold" due to budget issues......I have a couple contacts that have not heard a word yet as to when the next academy will resume. When it does, the people scheduled for the January 2009 one will be renotified. If I hear anything I will post it..

68 months ago

Josh in Flint, Michigan said: When is the next acadamy? any one heard a peep from a birdie or something? give me a somthing.

Once you pass your physical and interview you are swimming in the applicant pool!! If you know someone high-up at a prison they MAY be able to pull strings to get you in; they may not. The Jan. '09 academy was put on hold until who knows when. Granholm has started to close a couple prisons absorbing that staff into other locations as well as the prisoners. She's also going to be releasing prisoners. The psychologists are going thru files as we speak to rate them low, medium, and high threats.....so, she is hoping the vast majority of the prisoners she sets free will jump state lines ( probably in the hopes of finding work ) and she is PRAYING they re-offend there -- we won't extradite them back to MI for parole violation..it will be someone else's problem... It's hard to guess how long it will be for another academy to begin since she intends to continue closing down prisons over the next few years and absorbing staff and inmates that are not released.
We will see in the next couple years what comes down the pipe.

68 months ago

Josh in Flint, Michigan said:

Hey Josh. I will be in the next academy as well -- whenever it resumes! Hopefully this year.....but it's anyone's guess at this time.

68 months ago

k in Saginaw, Michigan said: Im in the same boat as you are. I took my interview and pt in October and passed everything. I spoke with some one a while ago and they said that the academy was on a hiring freeze. I would also like to know if anything academies will be coming up soon.

K in Sagiaw:
no one knows yet when the next academy will be held....it will include the people scheduled for the Jan. 2009 one that was cancelled. You won't be in an academy unless you receive a phone call from them offering you employment, etc. Until then, you're swimming in the applicant pool and it could be a while, it's hard to say. Once Granholm is gone it will be interesting to see if the next Governor will follow in her footsteps or not with the budget for Michigan overall.

Josh in Flint, Michigan

68 months ago

Thanks for the reply's, I still have faith that it will start sooner than later. I will be waiting, working out and ready for when they call me back. I will post any informtion I get wind of.

68 months ago

i have heard that the hiring freeze has been lifted. i read this on the forum black and grey which is michigans correctional officer forum. any information regarding what is really happening would be helpful to all waiting patiently. thanks

Jody.Mason in Trenton, Michigan

68 months ago

I was so happy to hear the corrections freeze might be over. Does anyone know if this is really true? I have been waiting for so long. Jody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

s in Saginaw, Michigan

67 months ago

I just recceive my degree (not in CJ), I just recently decided to seek a degree in criminal justice to get employment to become a corrections officer. I'm enrolled for CJ classes in the spring but should I get get interviews set up and the physical part completed also? If so how do I get started. Are the are the physical and written part hard? How is the interview?

jody in Trenton, Michigan

67 months ago

Well that's great that you are going to school...but you may want to rethink being a corrections officer in Michigan unless you can afford to wait. The state is on a hiring freeze right now that could last a really long time. In addition to that more and more prisons are closing so those officers are going to get first pick of any new jobs. But in answer to your question the test is really really easy...I mean you have to be retarded not to pass it. The PT test is ok. The hardest part was the stairs. There are three sizes and the biggest are difficult. You have to make 35 trips in a minute from what I recall (I almost didn't make it). The interview is fine. The people I interviewed with were nice and I felt at ease. Have you thought about going in to probation? That is a field you might have better luck of getting into. Jody

Sue in Durand, Michigan

67 months ago

amelia in Detroit, Michigan said: Get over it, the classes are mixed. And if you knew anything you would know the Jan class is cancelled, there is no Feb class and the next one isn't till May.

Amelia, are you still out there? Do you have any information on when another academy will be run?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Royal Oak, Michigan

67 months ago

sorry for my inactivity, work has been crazy. i don't know when the next academy is, all i know is that the hiring freeze has been lifted from what ive heard

67 months ago

hello everyone

I have heard the hiring freeze has been lifted aswell. I have called human resources today and they told me that there is no classes schedules for this year because of all the closings and transfering officers.

jeff in Holland, Michigan

66 months ago

tinytims,

On Friday, April 24th, I received a packet from MDOC and have been scheduled for an interview and PT test on May 14th. I was surprised because I was told of a hiring freeze. I interned at the local Parole office this winter and have called the supervisor to ask him about this but he was gone on training. Hopefully he will call me on Monday with some information.

Sue in Durand, Michigan

66 months ago

jeff in Holland, Michigan said: tinytims,

On Friday, April 24th, I received a packet from MDOC and have been scheduled for an interview and PT test on May 14th. I was surprised because I was told of a hiring freeze. I interned at the local Parole office this winter and have called the supervisor to ask him about this but he was gone on training. Hopefully he will call me on Monday with some information.

Great news for you and the rest of us! Please let us know if you hear anything else. Maybe they will tell you something when you go for your interview/PT.

66 months ago

Does anybody know if there is an "opt out" incentive for their insurance? Some companies will offer higher pay to not be on their insurance.

Thanks.

todd in Wyandotte, Michigan

66 months ago

Ive been in the applicant pool since 2005 and still havent gotten hired. i retook my physical and interview at the end of last year due to it expiring, that was just prior to the hiring freeze. i was told by the recruiters that unless you have a 4yr degree your chances of getting hired are slim. and oh by the way im a combat veteran which means nothing to them. if you have a 4yr degree why would you apply to be a corrections officer? its not like the pay is all that great. there used to be a time when being a veteran meant something, not anymore. i'd hire a veteran over somebody with a college degree in a min. what kind of stress have they been thru, NONE compared to a combat veteran!!!!

David in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

66 months ago

todd in Wyandotte, Michigan said: Ive been in the applicant pool since 2005 and still havent gotten hired. i retook my physical and interview at the end of last year due to it expiring, that was just prior to the hiring freeze. i was told by the recruiters that unless you have a 4yr degree your chances of getting hired are slim. and oh by the way im a combat veteran which means nothing to them. if you have a 4yr degree why would you apply to be a corrections officer? its not like the pay is all that great. there used to be a time when being a veteran meant something, not anymore. i'd hire a veteran over somebody with a college degree in a min. what kind of stress have they been thru, NONE compared to a combat veteran!!!!

Amen Todd! But I am sure you, as I have had, will have people that will not agree and argue with you too! Tennessee does take care of veterans and the white male still means something down here. Everyone is treated equally in Tennessee!

Sue in Durand, Michigan

66 months ago

jeff in Holland, Michigan said: tinytims,

Jeff,
Have you heard anything from the Parole Office Supervisor about the possiblity of an academy this year?

66 months ago

No. Unfortunately he was in training all last week and then had a death in the family so he is out of town this week. Hopefully next Monday or Tuesday he will call me.

Sue in Durand, Michigan

66 months ago

jeff in Holland, Michigan said: No. Unfortunately he was in training all last week and then had a death in the family so he is out of town this week. Hopefully next Monday or Tuesday he will call me.

OK, thanks. I would appreciate it if you would post what you find out.

66 months ago

david in tennessee
what do you know about the morgan county facility. Tennessee dosent seem to be hiring either. do you know what there requirements are as far as college,testing,pt,wage,thanks

66 months ago

dont waste your time trying to get hired as a corrections officer in michigan. the whole hiring process is a joke! i was told by ms. martensen that unless i had a family member that was already employed as a corrections officer or if i knew a warden that could request me that there was very little chance of me getting hired. ITS THE GOOD OLD BOY NETWORK!!! NOW THATS FAIR ISNT IT?? ive been in the application pool since 05, i'm a veteran, i picked i'd work statewide. and still havent gotten hired.

66 months ago

I know what you are saying. Reading through all of these posts it doesn't sound promising. I have an interview on May 14th and I'll go and check it out. Hard for me to think that they would spend the time and money to interview people considering this state has no money. Oh well, I have nothing else to do!!!

66 months ago

Same here Todd good luck! Seems like there would be a veterans group around that would stand up for us veterans. But there isn't and our only chance is to move elsewhere. My choice was Tennessee because of its beautiful mountians and wonderful people. I had to sacrafice though. I sold everything I had ski boat and all to make it and it worked out. My wife now works for the state and I am going afer the government for what is owed to me. I served my country honorably in a dishonorable war to come home and be treated as if I am a second class citizen because of my race and skin color. I am a veteran first and foremost. I had the courage and made the sacrafice to go to a place that many wouldn't have went and didn't go. Shameful! Maybe Amelia can argue with you now instead of me about Michigan Department of Corrections hiring practices. She does know everything!

66 months ago

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan said: david in tennessee
what do you know about the morgan county facility. Tennessee dosent seem to be hiring either. do you know what there requirements are as far as college,testing,pt,wage,thanks

Correctional Officers make $1927.00 a month with benefits. And there is no pt test or interveiw like Michigan. Take your application to the facility you want to be employed with. You want to be employed with Morgan County take the application to their facility. Its not based on race or gender and veterans do have first picks!

66 months ago

the states not going to be hiring corrections officers any time soon. not after granholm just announced laying off 100 state troopers n trying 2 balance the budget. GIVE UP PEOPLE YOUR NOT GETTING HIRED!!! they need 2 layoff ms gazair n ms martensen too!! move outta this state if u want a job cause theres no work in this state.

66 months ago

In a follow up to Todd and to be expected, just got a call from DOC and all interviews have been cancelled at this time due to budget cuts.

66 months ago

Good luck all of you still stuck in the muck in Michigan! Maybe next election season Congressman Dave Camp Repersentitive Roger Kahn and Governor Jennifer Granholm wont be re-elected. Its all up to you people on how you vote. Stand together and let these people know they suck! None of them are for veterans unless a camera is present and they really don't care if you have employment because they are employed themselves through your tax dollars! GOOD LUCK!

66 months ago

Jenny makes us laugh because she will be at any company speaking about how great it is they are adding 10 jobs while another company is handing out lay off notices to hundreds!!!

Isn't Jenny out due to term limits?

66 months ago

even thou corrections is no longer hiring they'll still be at job fairs saying they are or will be soon. this whole state is a joke!! no jobs!!! thanks jenny!!!!!

66 months ago

i went to what was suppose to be a veterans only job fair in wyoming michigan today(thursday may 14th), wyoming is located just north west of grand rapids. instead of it being for veterans only it ended up being open to the general public! once again veterans getting screwed over in this state. mich dept of corrections was there, i told the officer at the booth and another woman who i believe was from human resources that i have been in the applicant pool since 05 and still havent gotten hired. i made mention of the fact that i had talked to both ms. gazair and ms. martensen and they told me the only way i was getting hired was if i knew a warden. NOW THATS FAIR HIRING PRACTICE, ISNT IT? she(from H.R.) rather rudely she said it probably was because i didn't put that id work statewide which i said i did. she got mad when i asked "why are you guys here when your not hiring"? she mumbled something then walked away. i got great pleasure calling her out since there was a crowd of people that were standing there when i said that to her.

66 months ago

Todd I am very glad that you have had this opportunity to tell these prics how you feel but it still is not going to change the fact that you are a white male veteran and in the eyes of the state that means nothing. My suggestion to you is to do what I did which is a shame because you shouldnt have to but sell everything you have and move to Tennessee. I don't regret moving here and will never move back to the state I was born and raised in. I wish you luck with everything you do. I dont know if you seen the blood and gutts of war like me but you are still a veteran and have served your country honorably unlike most of the other prison guards that are now working for the state of Michigan prisons. Good Luck!

66 months ago

i forgot to mention that the job fair was SUPPOSE TO BE FOR VETERANS ONLY! but while standing in line waiting for the job fair to start. (BTW, they had 1 line for veterans, and 1 line for the general public). a guy in front of me asked 1 of the veteran reps "I thought this job fair was for veterans only"?, he replied "it was suppose to be but they had to make an agreement with mich works to allow the general public to attend. at 1st the agreement was to allow laid off UAW workers to attend as then it turned into allowing everybody to attend. ONCE AGAIN VETERANS GETTING SCREWED IN THIS STATE! i have a problem with letting everyone attend but in perticular LAID OFF UAW WORKERS.

Bill in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

Have any of you guys who are having trouble getting employed in corrections tried the Federal Bureau of Prisons? They are hiring, pretty much everywhere. Look up www.bop.gov or www.usajobs.com . If you try to search for positions locally, you may not find any, but if you just search for corrections nationwide, the job posting is always open. From my experience, institutions are almost always hiring and interviewing. If you are willing to wait 6 months to 2 and a half years for some podunk state jail, why not wait a fraction of that time for a position that might actually give you the pay and benefits that you deserve? I worked for the Feds in Chicago and Texas, and I can say that it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in, the Feds are the best. They require 1 year of law enforcement experience, or three years of private security experience, or 4 years of college, and military counts too.

Good Luck

pecan sandy in Grand Blanc, Michigan

64 months ago

lettuce pickles onioins special sauce oooohh yess i am loving it!!!

bluz in Detroit, Michigan

64 months ago

David in Mount Pleasant, Michigan said: I took the interveiw and physical test 2 years ago for the Michigan Department of Corrections. Febuary 2006 to be exact after coming home from my second tour in Iraq serving my country. I got beat out of the job by a female that took the interveiw in March 2008 and she failed the physical test. She still received a call to go to the academy even though I have more experience, better qualified, and have served my country twice in combat. Why is this you might ask? Because her dad is a retired corrections officer and has connections. This female also went to St Louis Correctional Facility were it is all male prisoners. She basically it doesnt matter if you fail the physical test, it doesnt matter whether your a veteran or not, it doesnt matter how much experience you have, if you have a connection use it. If you don't move to another state that really does take care of their veterans and doesnt just give them a run around telling them information that sounds good but isn't really true. I have received more help from the state of Tennessee in two days on employment than I have received from the state of Michigan in two and a half years. Michigans answer claim a disability. Shameful! Good luck Michigan veterans and if it gets really bad like it has for my family well see you in Tennessee.

Cry me a river...

jennifer granholm in Wyandotte, Michigan

64 months ago

bluz in Detroit, Michigan said: Cry me a river...

You mentioned that you got hired as a state of tenn corrections officer. The last time i checked they were on a hiring freeze along with tenn state troopers.

Tennessee in Meridian, Mississippi

64 months ago

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan said: david in tennessee

All you have to do is go to the prison itself and apply within. They do not do interviews and physical endurance tests like Michigan and waste your time. When you get interviewed is when you get hired. Veterans do have preference here considering this is where they built the atomic bomb.

The state government here is top notch and seem to care about its citizens. But I am sure the pretenders are out there. And even if there is a hiring freeze when you first arrive in Tennessee theres still plenty of employment because Tennessee is a right to work state and Michigan isn't. Isn't that sad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

jennifer granholm in Wyandotte, Michigan said: You mentioned that you got hired as a state of tenn corrections officer. The last time i checked they were on a hiring freeze along with tenn state troopers.

Who mentioned they got hired as a Tennessee Corrections officer? I didn't read that anywhere. I read alot where people said Michigan sucks along with its state government but never read someone got hired as a Tennessee correctional officer.

64 months ago

bluz in Detroit, Michigan said: Cry me a river...

I understand your stupidity and I am sorry!

Jason in Wyandotte, Michigan

61 months ago

I got a letter yesterday from my Michigan Department Of Corrections recruiter saying that I've been accepted into the next Academy that starts this December!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Lennon, Michigan

61 months ago

You got a letter? Really? The people in the last schedule academy in January received phone calls...

Amelia in Johnson City, Tennessee

59 months ago

amelia n in Redford, Michigan said: You took the interview and pt test two years ago and you still dont have a job yet? That is horrible. I took the interview and pt test on July 18 and I got the call saying they want to send me to training in September, in early August.

That's hilarious!!!! Only searching my name. Amelia N. Redford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mrmike in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

54 months ago

I took my test and passed went in did oral interview did good on that but got a call today saying my background didnt come back on time but it was good so ill have to wait there fully staff.Is that a way of saying u dont got the job or is it just me wanting the job so bad and wanting to start. I just really want this job.has anyone else heard anything like this and if i have to wait how long does it take for a class to get out of training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.