waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 2385)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

jeff in Holland, Michigan

89 months ago

I know what you are saying. Reading through all of these posts it doesn't sound promising. I have an interview on May 14th and I'll go and check it out. Hard for me to think that they would spend the time and money to interview people considering this state has no money. Oh well, I have nothing else to do!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

89 months ago

Same here Todd good luck! Seems like there would be a veterans group around that would stand up for us veterans. But there isn't and our only chance is to move elsewhere. My choice was Tennessee because of its beautiful mountians and wonderful people. I had to sacrafice though. I sold everything I had ski boat and all to make it and it worked out. My wife now works for the state and I am going afer the government for what is owed to me. I served my country honorably in a dishonorable war to come home and be treated as if I am a second class citizen because of my race and skin color. I am a veteran first and foremost. I had the courage and made the sacrafice to go to a place that many wouldn't have went and didn't go. Shameful! Maybe Amelia can argue with you now instead of me about Michigan Department of Corrections hiring practices. She does know everything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan said: david in tennessee
what do you know about the morgan county facility. Tennessee dosent seem to be hiring either. do you know what there requirements are as far as college,testing,pt,wage,thanks

Correctional Officers make $1927.00 a month with benefits. And there is no pt test or interveiw like Michigan. Take your application to the facility you want to be employed with. You want to be employed with Morgan County take the application to their facility. Its not based on race or gender and veterans do have first picks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

todd in Wyandotte, Michigan

89 months ago

the states not going to be hiring corrections officers any time soon. not after granholm just announced laying off 100 state troopers n trying 2 balance the budget. GIVE UP PEOPLE YOUR NOT GETTING HIRED!!! they need 2 layoff ms gazair n ms martensen too!! move outta this state if u want a job cause theres no work in this state.

89 months ago

In a follow up to Todd and to be expected, just got a call from DOC and all interviews have been cancelled at this time due to budget cuts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Good luck all of you still stuck in the muck in Michigan! Maybe next election season Congressman Dave Camp Repersentitive Roger Kahn and Governor Jennifer Granholm wont be re-elected. Its all up to you people on how you vote. Stand together and let these people know they suck! None of them are for veterans unless a camera is present and they really don't care if you have employment because they are employed themselves through your tax dollars! GOOD LUCK!

89 months ago

Jenny makes us laugh because she will be at any company speaking about how great it is they are adding 10 jobs while another company is handing out lay off notices to hundreds!!!

Isn't Jenny out due to term limits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

even thou corrections is no longer hiring they'll still be at job fairs saying they are or will be soon. this whole state is a joke!! no jobs!!! thanks jenny!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

i went to what was suppose to be a veterans only job fair in wyoming michigan today(thursday may 14th), wyoming is located just north west of grand rapids. instead of it being for veterans only it ended up being open to the general public! once again veterans getting screwed over in this state. mich dept of corrections was there, i told the officer at the booth and another woman who i believe was from human resources that i have been in the applicant pool since 05 and still havent gotten hired. i made mention of the fact that i had talked to both ms. gazair and ms. martensen and they told me the only way i was getting hired was if i knew a warden. NOW THATS FAIR HIRING PRACTICE, ISNT IT? she(from H.R.) rather rudely she said it probably was because i didn't put that id work statewide which i said i did. she got mad when i asked "why are you guys here when your not hiring"? she mumbled something then walked away. i got great pleasure calling her out since there was a crowd of people that were standing there when i said that to her.

88 months ago

Todd I am very glad that you have had this opportunity to tell these prics how you feel but it still is not going to change the fact that you are a white male veteran and in the eyes of the state that means nothing. My suggestion to you is to do what I did which is a shame because you shouldnt have to but sell everything you have and move to Tennessee. I don't regret moving here and will never move back to the state I was born and raised in. I wish you luck with everything you do. I dont know if you seen the blood and gutts of war like me but you are still a veteran and have served your country honorably unlike most of the other prison guards that are now working for the state of Michigan prisons. Good Luck!

88 months ago

i forgot to mention that the job fair was SUPPOSE TO BE FOR VETERANS ONLY! but while standing in line waiting for the job fair to start. (BTW, they had 1 line for veterans, and 1 line for the general public). a guy in front of me asked 1 of the veteran reps "I thought this job fair was for veterans only"?, he replied "it was suppose to be but they had to make an agreement with mich works to allow the general public to attend. at 1st the agreement was to allow laid off UAW workers to attend as then it turned into allowing everybody to attend. ONCE AGAIN VETERANS GETTING SCREWED IN THIS STATE! i have a problem with letting everyone attend but in perticular LAID OFF UAW WORKERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Have any of you guys who are having trouble getting employed in corrections tried the Federal Bureau of Prisons? They are hiring, pretty much everywhere. Look up www.bop.gov or www.usajobs.com . If you try to search for positions locally, you may not find any, but if you just search for corrections nationwide, the job posting is always open. From my experience, institutions are almost always hiring and interviewing. If you are willing to wait 6 months to 2 and a half years for some podunk state jail, why not wait a fraction of that time for a position that might actually give you the pay and benefits that you deserve? I worked for the Feds in Chicago and Texas, and I can say that it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in, the Feds are the best. They require 1 year of law enforcement experience, or three years of private security experience, or 4 years of college, and military counts too.

Good Luck

pecan sandy in Grand Blanc, Michigan

87 months ago

lettuce pickles onioins special sauce oooohh yess i am loving it!!!

bluz in Detroit, Michigan

86 months ago

David in Mount Pleasant, Michigan said: I took the interveiw and physical test 2 years ago for the Michigan Department of Corrections. Febuary 2006 to be exact after coming home from my second tour in Iraq serving my country. I got beat out of the job by a female that took the interveiw in March 2008 and she failed the physical test. She still received a call to go to the academy even though I have more experience, better qualified, and have served my country twice in combat. Why is this you might ask? Because her dad is a retired corrections officer and has connections. This female also went to St Louis Correctional Facility were it is all male prisoners. She basically it doesnt matter if you fail the physical test, it doesnt matter whether your a veteran or not, it doesnt matter how much experience you have, if you have a connection use it. If you don't move to another state that really does take care of their veterans and doesnt just give them a run around telling them information that sounds good but isn't really true. I have received more help from the state of Tennessee in two days on employment than I have received from the state of Michigan in two and a half years. Michigans answer claim a disability. Shameful! Good luck Michigan veterans and if it gets really bad like it has for my family well see you in Tennessee.

Cry me a river...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer granholm in Wyandotte, Michigan

86 months ago

bluz in Detroit, Michigan said: Cry me a river...

You mentioned that you got hired as a state of tenn corrections officer. The last time i checked they were on a hiring freeze along with tenn state troopers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tennessee in Meridian, Mississippi

86 months ago

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan said: david in tennessee
what do you know about the morgan county facility. Tennessee dosent seem to be hiring either. do you know what there requirements are as far as college,testing,pt,wage,thanks

All you have to do is go to the prison itself and apply within. They do not do interviews and physical endurance tests like Michigan and waste your time. When you get interviewed is when you get hired. Veterans do have preference here considering this is where they built the atomic bomb.

The state government here is top notch and seem to care about its citizens. But I am sure the pretenders are out there. And even if there is a hiring freeze when you first arrive in Tennessee theres still plenty of employment because Tennessee is a right to work state and Michigan isn't. Isn't that sad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

jennifer granholm in Wyandotte, Michigan said: You mentioned that you got hired as a state of tenn corrections officer. The last time i checked they were on a hiring freeze along with tenn state troopers.

Who mentioned they got hired as a Tennessee Corrections officer? I didn't read that anywhere. I read alot where people said Michigan sucks along with its state government but never read someone got hired as a Tennessee correctional officer.

86 months ago

bluz in Detroit, Michigan said: Cry me a river...

I understand your stupidity and I am sorry!

Jason in Wyandotte, Michigan

83 months ago

I got a letter yesterday from my Michigan Department Of Corrections recruiter saying that I've been accepted into the next Academy that starts this December!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Lennon, Michigan

83 months ago

You got a letter? Really? The people in the last schedule academy in January received phone calls...

Amelia in Johnson City, Tennessee

81 months ago

amelia n in Redford, Michigan said: You took the interview and pt test two years ago and you still dont have a job yet? That is horrible. I took the interview and pt test on July 18 and I got the call saying they want to send me to training in September, in early August.

That's hilarious!!!! Only searching my name. Amelia N. Redford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrmike in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

77 months ago

I took my test and passed went in did oral interview did good on that but got a call today saying my background didnt come back on time but it was good so ill have to wait there fully staff.Is that a way of saying u dont got the job or is it just me wanting the job so bad and wanting to start. I just really want this job.has anyone else heard anything like this and if i have to wait how long does it take for a class to get out of training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ts82 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

76 months ago

What is the MDOC waiting list looking like these days? I'm thinking about contacting a recruiter if this other job doesnt come through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

ts82 in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: What is the MDOC waiting list looking like these days? I'm thinking about contacting a recruiter if this other job doesnt come through.

Funny really really funny! Oh and have you ever won the lottery? Better chance at the lottery for sure.

76 months ago

lol, thanks. I have an interview with a sheriffs dept next week for a corrections position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

You will have better luck there I am sure. After two tours in Iraq and a degree in criminal justice they told me they weren't hiring any white males. Born and raised in Michigan and that is how they treated me. Good luck and just don't get your hopes up.

76 months ago

David in Oak Ridge, Tennessee said: You will have better luck there I am sure. After two tours in Iraq and a degree in criminal justice they told me they weren't hiring any white males. Born and raised in Michigan and that is how they treated me. Good luck and just don't get your hopes up.

I have two tours in Afghan. 82nd Airborne! I also have an interview for TSA on the 26th. so hopefully one of them will work out

Sue in Lennon, Michigan

71 months ago

amelia n in Redford, Michigan said: You took the interview and pt test two years ago and you still dont have a job yet? That is horrible. I took the interview and pt test on July 18 and I got the call saying they want to send me to training in September, in early August.

Amelia, are you still working or have you been laid off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

moe in Pontiac, Michigan

71 months ago

Sue in Lennon, Michigan said: Amelia, are you still working or have you been laid off?

i just got hired last week start academy in november, cant wait. michigan is starting to look good, at least in my favor

Alex in Muskegon, Michigan

71 months ago

moe in Pontiac, Michigan said: i just got hired last week start academy in november, cant wait. michigan is starting to look good, at least in my favor

Congratulations Moe I start the academy in November in Lansing as well. Hope to see you there!! What facility did you get hired into?

rachelle

71 months ago

Just revived a letter saying I passed the correctional officer test now what's the next step and how long? Fyi this was for ny correctional officer

Ric Flair in Wyandotte, Michigan

71 months ago

I was contacted last week and I told them thanks but no thanks, reason being is that I don't trust any job that is directly related to this (michigan) states budget. They have a LONG history of hiring you then laying you off.

mark in Flint, Michigan

67 months ago

rachelle said: Just revived a letter saying I passed the correctional officer test now what's the next step and how long? Fyi this was for ny correctional officer

I have taken this test from ny and mich. i yet to get my result back from ny , but when i do the next step is the background check ect... and pt test..

mark in Flint, Michigan

67 months ago

anyone know about any new c.o. academy stat dates for mich?

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan

67 months ago

mark in Flint, Michigan said: anyone know about any new c.o. academy stat dates for mich?

I was going to ask the same question Mark, when I passed the phusical and interview they told me that I would now have to wait for the budget to pass. Hopefullyy its soon

67 months ago

If anyone knows any updated information on a new training class in Michigan let me know, hopefully dont have to wait 6 years. Im ready now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

s6a2m28 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

67 months ago

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan said: If anyone knows any updated information on a new training class in Michigan let me know, hopefully dont have to wait 6 years. Im ready now!

they had to wait for the new budget - seeing as the state budget was implemented today - i'm hoping they'll at least be able to tell us soon whether they will be doing hiring. i had my interview in january. have you been waiting long?

67 months ago

I also interview in January, so no I havent been waiting too long.

67 months ago

Any new updates for Michigan?

67 months ago

Not that I know of, I ususlly call at the beginning of the month, let me know if you hear anything.Thanks

JamesGibson in Oneida, Tennessee

65 months ago

I work for the Tennessee dept. of corrections, Morgan County Correctional Complex, former Brushy Moutain Prison. The starting pay is 2,138 benefits include Annual Leave (One Day Per Month), Sick Leave (One Day Per Month), 401K or 457K Deferred Compensation Programs, Health Insurance (80% State Paid), Approximately 11 Paid Holidays Per Year, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Employee Assistance Program, Cash Overtime or Compensatory Time (Based Upon Status as Exempt or Non-exempt), Drug and Tobacco Free Workplace, Generous Retirement Package with Insurance Options, Employee Suggestion Program, Uniforms & equipment are furnished for correctional officer etc etc... Now, there is no testing to get an interview, you can print off an app from the website, www.tn.gov/correction/employment/employmt.html and mail it into which ever facility you wish to apply to.. Once hired your traning wll inculde one week "pre-service" at the prison, 40 hours then off to academy-- complete six weeks of security-oriented training prior to assuming full-time duties at their respective institutions. Topics include firearms qualification training, self-defense, inmate supervision, mechanical restraints, interpersonal communication skills, personal searches, cell/area searches, inmate rights, First Aid/CPR, and report writing once you complete academy, you have two more weeks of training at the prison, then you on probation for 9 monhs and under a Field Training officer. MCCX is th bes prison to work for in the state of Tennesssee because it is union and employees have the right to bid on jobs and off days. Come down south to Wartburg, Tn 37887 and live a wonderful life. Hope it was helpful

happy24

65 months ago

JamesGibson in Oneida, Tennessee said: I work for the Tennessee dept. of corrections, Morgan County Correctional Complex, former Brushy Moutain Prison. The starting pay is 2,138 benefits include Annual Leave (One Day Per Month), Sick Leave (One Day Per Month), 401K or 457K Deferred Compensation Programs, Health Insurance (80% State Paid), Approximately 11 Paid Holidays Per Year, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Employee Assistance Program, Cash Overtime or Compensatory Time (Based Upon Status as Exempt or Non-exempt), Drug and Tobacco Free Workplace, Generous Retirement Package with Insurance Options, Employee Suggestion Program, Uniforms & equipment are furnished for correctional officer etc etc... Now, there is no testing to get an interview, you can print off an app from the website, www.tn.gov/correction/employment/employmt.html and mail it into which ever facility you wish to apply to.. Once hired your traning wll inculde one week "pre-service" at the prison, 40 hours then off to academy-- complete six weeks of security-oriented training prior to assuming full-time duties at their respective institutions. Topics include firearms qualification training, self-defense, inmate supervision, mechanical restraints, interpersonal communication skills, personal searches, cell/area searches, inmate rights, First Aid/CPR, and report writing once you complete academy, you have two more weeks of training at the prison, then you on probation for 9 monhs and under a Field Training officer. MCCX is th bes prison to work for in the state of Tennesssee because it is union and employees have the right to bid on jobs and off days. Come down south to Wartburg, Tn 37887 and live a wonderful life. Hope it was helpful

i have an interview with morgan co. correctional this tuesday and i was wondering if they tell me if i got the job that day or if i have to wait for a call? do i have to do a pt test b4 i start? do i do my drug screen that day? and what questions they ask?

james gibson

65 months ago

You will go interview, then they will call you usually the ne
Xt day depending on how many they interview.. They will tell
You if you got it or not, if u did they will tell you to go to
Center to get drug tested then after that back to prison for
The first week then off to academy

happy24

65 months ago

james gibson said: You will go interview, then they will call you usually the ne
Xt day depending on how many they interview.. They will tell
You if you got it or not, if u did they will tell you to go to
Center to get drug tested then after that back to prison for
The first week then off to academy

thanku for ur reply...i was also wondering if u remember what kinds of questions they ask? is the academy pretty hard?

65 months ago

Alex in Muskegon, Michigan said: Congratulations Moe I start the academy in November in Lansing as well. Hope to see you there!! What facility did you get hired into?

Is that novemeber 2011 because I am also in the pool, I was told that nothing will be known until July 1st...any insight?

65 months ago

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan said: Is that novemeber 2011 because I am also in the pool, I was told that nothing will be known until July 1st...any insight?

No. He posted that 6 months ago. That academy started November 15, 2010. They haven't made any selections or decisions for 2011. The state still has until June to finalize the budget. That's all we are waiting on...whether they have money or not.

65 months ago

s6a2m28 in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: they had to wait for the new budget - seeing as the state budget was implemented today - i'm hoping they'll at least be able to tell us soon whether they will be doing hiring. i had my interview in january. have you been waiting long?

Hey how are you, have you heard any news yet?

65 months ago

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan said: Hey how are you, have you heard any news yet?

I'm good. Still waiting. I wish they would just make a decision...so that I can make decisions for myself. This is what I want to do so everything is on hold for now.

They don't have any new information for anyone. I wrote earlier the State had until June to finalize...then I did a little research on it. They actually have been given until July 1 for the final 2011 budget to become legally binding. What facilities did you apply to?

64 months ago

AHH! MICHIGAN!

mark in Phoenix, Arizona

60 months ago

any new info on an academy class yet for michigan in 2011 , i work in az as a correctional officer, but have been waiting for mich. any news would be great?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.