waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1551 to 1600 of 2386)
Page:  « First « Previous   29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next »   Last »

Curt

46 months ago

Bill Hudson C/O 2013!!!! 1 week down 7 to go let's keep it going. Stay motivated and sharp fellow recruits and the light at the end will come very quick.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Davison, Michigan

46 months ago

He'll yeah week one is done. Im glad we finnaly split into our platoons.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Davison, Michigan

46 months ago

I think I'll be repeating that in my sleep while at home this weekend. Lol bill Hudson class of 2013

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris81 in Adrian, Michigan

46 months ago

I wonder how hard the exam will be

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Royal Oak, Michigan

46 months ago

not hard, write down all of the objectives and complete and study the quiz at the end of each section.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Northville, Michigan

46 months ago

Andrew in Davison, Michigan said: He'll yeah week one is done. Im glad we finnaly split into our platoons.

Andrew are you in platoon 1 or 2?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Davison, Michigan

46 months ago

I'm actually in platoon 3 with platoon leader Lt. Fejes and Fto Downs

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt in Northville, Michigan

46 months ago

Oh ok I'm I'm 1 with FTO Williams and Lt. Maki. Is anyone on here in 1 or 2 aka "Summit Recruits"?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

are they going to have an academy in Dec?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: are they going to have an academy in Dec?

Hey Mark,

From what im hearing there will be an academy in either January or February. And starting January 1, 2014 the academy will no longer be paid for. ie: lodging and food. You also do not get paid in the academy anymore as well. You will have the option (if you pass the interview/pt test and medical tests)to either attend a six week traning program in lansing or attend a college to complete a six week course.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Ovid, Michigan

46 months ago

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Hey Mark,

From what im hearing there will be an academy in either January or February. And starting January 1, 2014 the academy will no longer be paid for. ie: lodging and food. You also do not get paid in the academy anymore as well. You will have the option (if you pass the interview/pt test and medical tests)to either attend a six week traning program in lansing or attend a college to complete a six week course.

Is there somewhere I can read about this. I'm looking at getting into the next academy so I'm curious.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Richard in Ovid, Michigan said: Is there somewhere I can read about this. I'm looking at getting into the next academy so I'm curious.

I recieved a process change email from the recruitment section along with other info related to my interview. Im not sure if you can find the info online but it doesnt hurt to search. Otherwise id say you could call the recruitment section and ask them about the changes that are taking place after the 1st of January.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

why won't they pay you for academy? This is so stupid.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

46 months ago

The academies will no longer be paid because the state is trying to save money. MDOC is the highest expense the State of Michigan has & the Governors have and will always look to trim the fat where the most expenses occur.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Ovid, Michigan

46 months ago

Yeah just went through my interview papers, watch this year will be the only year it happens. Now the question is will the schools be just as good as training in Lansing.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

46 months ago

It's my understanding the colleges will employ former MDOC trainers and staff as well as others who have run county and city jails. Staff always complains about the new hires regardless...

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

will they have one more class before this start in jan? why dont the state troopers do this ?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Ovid, Michigan

46 months ago

Nope the next class is 2014 unless the plan to start one in December. Do they have a list of colleges up yet I missed does anyone know.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

46 months ago

Actually, MSP is really low on numbers. I am glad ( & surprised) the Governor is supporting the effort on training more. That program is INTENSE!!
I have heard the training in December is ONLY for the food service staff who were offered CO training. Remember...these are current MDOC staff who are losing their jobs because the Governor wants to save money & hire companies that are cheap. The food quality will suffer and the prisoners will have a fit.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

46 months ago

I know Lansing Community College will be holding classes....I would hope the recruitment office will have info on participating colleges.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

D christine dou in Michigan

46 months ago

The Governorn wants to increase the number of State Troopers and close prisins and decrease the number of COs. He'll pay for the State Trooper academy. Do you have any desire for poluce work? Clean background?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Richard in Ovid, Michigan said: Nope the next class is 2014 unless the plan to start one in December. Do they have a list of colleges up yet I missed does anyone know.

I didnt see a list either. Id like to know what colleges will be offering this and what to expect tuition wise. To be honest I think this is going to turn alot of people off. Its a shame that they had to make such drastic cuts.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

I thought the gov put around 9 million to train new officers. I think this will fail.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Ovid, Michigan

46 months ago

Wait you don't think we would have to pay to be trained do you?

Honestly I'm glad they're making it harder to get in. Less people are likly to use this as a spring board, and more chances for us to get ot sooner.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Richard in Ovid, Michigan said: Wait you don't think we would have to pay to be trained do you?

Honestly I'm glad they're making it harder to get in. Less people are likly to use this as a spring board, and more chances for us to get ot sooner.

You will being paying either way if you think about it. You would pay to take the six week course at a college or you would pay to commute to Lansing everyday for six weeks unless of course you live in Lansing.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

if anyone get paperwork for this please post it thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: if anyone get paperwork for this please post it thanks

It should be attatched with your interview instructions.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: It should be attatched with your interview instructions.

I had the interview already. I am a recycle from a past academy.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Would you get paid for on the job training?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris81 in Adrian, Michigan

46 months ago

Recycle?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

I was in the academy and I had to resigned for personal reasonals

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mj02 in Durand, Michigan

46 months ago

You will have to pay for the academy, much like a police academy at a community or public college. Will the training be as good? It is tough to say. Michigan correction officers have some of the best training (and highest pay) in the nation. But let us say the academy costs you $7,000 (including interest on any loans). You will top out at close to $50K a year, so you will likely recoup that money in a short amount of time. Surely it will be tough to go through the academy with no pay, but in the long run it will be a good investment, and it will open a lot of doors career wise. I went through the last academy, just looking for a job with good pay and benefits. Now I love it, and probably will do it for the rest of my life.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt

46 months ago

The thing about paying for the academy through a community college is that there is no guarantee for employment after you graduate. I'm only saying that because I'm assuming they are going to create a State Certification similar to MCOLES. If they model MCOLES in that regard, that means that certification will only be good for a certain amount of time you have to get hired. MCOLES is 1 year until it expires and you're stuck on your own in getting a job. That's when I would question if paying for the academy worth it. Me personally, I wouldn't do it unless I'm not working and need a job bad. Not trying to discourage anyone just giving some insight. I'm in the academy now and that's been the big talk from all the trainers since we started. I did hear though that MDOC is going to run an academy of their own along with community colleges but they still won't pay you during recruit training, but it may come with a conditional job offer before you start.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Curt said: The thing about paying for the academy through a community college is that there is no guarantee for employment after you graduate. I'm only saying that because I'm assuming they are going to create a State Certification similar to MCOLES. If they model MCOLES in that regard, that means that certification will only be good for a certain amount of time you have to get hired. MCOLES is 1 year until it expires and you're stuck on your own in getting a job. That's when I would question if paying for the academy worth it. Me personally, I wouldn't do it unless I'm not working and need a job bad. Not trying to discourage anyone just giving some insight. I'm in the academy now and that's been the big talk from all the trainers since we started. I did hear though that MDOC is going to run an academy of their own along with community colleges but they still won't pay you during recruit training, but it may come with a conditional job offer before you start.

Thanks for the insight Curt. So in your opinion you would recommend the commute to Lansing to do the MDOC academy?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Shepherd, Michigan

46 months ago

I don't know if you can compare police academy and this bs they are doing now just because you have the option of the academy. I'm sure on November 6th me or NV will post something with more detail about this new system.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt

46 months ago

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Thanks for the insight Curt. So in your opinion you would recommend the commute to Lansing to do the MDOC academy?

Again it depends on what your situation is. If you're able to finance the academy and stomach the cost in gas per week, as well as all the other expenses such as food, uniforms, etc.. and still have no guaranteed or 75% guarantee for a job offer, then I'd say yea. The commute is only a piece of the puzzle. Let's say the academy itself have a tuition bill of $7,000, the above mentioned expenses over the six weeks would be at least $3,000 so really it's a $10,000 gamble. Me personally I would take my chances taking $7,000 to the blackjack table. It's all about what your current situation is. Back in 2010, I was accepted into Schoolcraft College police academy with no problem. I was working fulltime and living on my own with adult bills and I banked on the fact my job would allow me to take a personal unpaid leave while going through the academy. They waited until 10 days before my leave was suppose to start to inform me my request for leave would be denied because of "management's discretion" and I would have to resign if I go through with the academy. I was going to say f.. it and take my chances until I understood the time requirement to find an agency or that certification would expire. Back then it was 2 years to find a job but no agencies were hiring unless it was for 1 or 2 officers out of 1,000 applicants. I realized for my situation, it wasn't worth it. So what I did was finish my Associates and Bachelors degrees, and then seeked employment.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Curt said: Again it depends on what your situation is. If you're able to finance the academy and stomach the cost in gas per week, as well as all the other expenses such as food, uniforms, etc.. and still have no guaranteed or 75% guarantee for a job offer, then I'd say yea. The commute is only a piece of the puzzle. Let's say the academy itself have a tuition bill of $7,000, the above mentioned expenses over the six weeks would be at least $3,000 so really it's a $10,000 gamble. Me personally I would take my chances taking $7,000 to the blackjack table. It's all about what your current situation is. Back in 2010, I was accepted into Schoolcraft College police academy with no problem. I was working fulltime and living on my own with adult bills and I banked on the fact my job would allow me to take a personal unpaid leave while going through the academy. They waited until 10 days before my leave was suppose to start to inform me my request for leave would be denied because of "management's discretion" and I would have to resign if I go through with the academy. I was going to say f.. it and take my chances until I understood the time requirement to find an agency or that certification would expire. Back then it was 2 years to find a job but no agencies were hiring unless it was for 1 or 2 officers out of 1,000 applicants. I realized for my situation, it wasn't worth it. So what I did was finish my Associates and Bachelors degrees, and then seeked employment.

I understand man. I appreciate your feedback. I guess the way I see it the MDOC must not be hurting for employees that bad if they are implementing such extreme changes to the hiring and recruiting process. Anyway, good luck Curt in the academy and your future as a C.O.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Curt

46 months ago

Richard in Shepherd, Michigan said: I don't know if you can compare police academy and this bs they are doing now just because you have the option of the academy. I'm sure on November 6th me or NV will post something with more detail about this new system.

That's true that's why I said earlier it's a major gamble ONLY if they implement the same method as community college police academies and MCOLES regulations. At the end of the day, it's all about decreased spending or as they would say, being "fiscally responsible". And NV, it's opposite to what you see because MDOC actually need officers due to all the upcoming retirements, but the State of Michigan is looking at ways to cut the budget for corrections. That's me speaking as a private citizen. The vibe I get from here now is that it's going to be a wait & see approach. I'm curious to know what they've relayed to you guys going through the interview process now because I've been telling people I know to hurry and apply. Any info you guys post will be greatly appreciated and definitely wish all of you luck in getting in with MDOC or anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

what happened to all the money they have to hire new recruits

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Mason, Michigan

46 months ago

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: what happened to all the money they have to hire new recruits

I'm thinking mainly to pay for the crazy program they created.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

do they pay you for the on the job training when you to the prison?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lio in Alma, Michigan

46 months ago

Two weeks gone ! yepeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

chris81 in Adrian, Michigan

46 months ago

lio what platoon are you in?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lio in Alma, Michigan

46 months ago

platoon 4 with Ms Chandler and FTO Radala

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

if anyone have new information about the new hiring process/academy/college please post

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

curt- any new gossip you heard from the academy about the new academy?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Richard in Shepherd, Michigan said: I don't know if you can compare police academy and this bs they are doing now just because you have the option of the academy. I'm sure on November 6th me or NV will post something with more detail about this new system.

Good luck tomorrow Richard. I got last minute nerves for this interview tomorrow...Hopefully all goes well.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Clio, Michigan

46 months ago

hey man I was getting on to tell you the same thing. I'm getting the same way with some excitement too.

Also what way are you planning on taking for the academy, school or lansing?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan

46 months ago

Richard in Clio, Michigan said: hey man I was getting on to tell you the same thing. I'm getting the same way with some excitement too.

Also what way are you planning on taking for the academy, school or lansing?

I'm not too sure yet. I'd like to get more information on the schooling but as of right now if I pass the interview I'm leaning towards making the commute to Lansing. What about you?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Clio, Michigan

46 months ago

NVGrandRapids in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I'm not too sure yet. I'd like to get more information on the schooling but as of right now if I pass the interview I'm leaning towards making the commute to Lansing. What about you?

For me it depends on the schools because I have family near Lansing who will let me sleep there during the week. NV did you pass?

So I did my interview and pt test and I passed and I talked to everyone I could and they don't know much either. They don't know even what school are working on getting the program. Something that did raise my hopes is they kept saying that this new system isn't concrete yet. So I'm wondering and hoping that the next academy is the old way with the pay and all.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.