waiting list

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 2385)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan

58 months ago

I have done everything and I am still waiting. I just did everything this month so they are still testing and interviewing. They have stopped all the testing and stuff so I am thinking that something will come up soon hopefully. They wont tell anyone when an academy is scheduled becuase they dont want the over abundence of call coming in to check on their application. I currently work in a juvenile detention center and hoping to get into the DOC. If you look on Michigans job posting for the state they have a posting for Correction Officer recruits so they have to have something in mind. I was also told from a close friend that works for the DOC that they usually run them in the fall or winter time. I have my AAS-Corrections and almost finished my Bachelors degree.

For the people that have done the interview and pt test and passed did they have you sign a pice of paper that states that you cant transfer facilities for the first year? They have also called my past employers.

Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L from in Nashville, Tennessee

58 months ago

I wondering how long does the hiring process take for co.. I been 2 the interview 2 mths ago in that time they contacted 2 of my references but im getting wairry because I havent heard back ....please help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

58 months ago

I went through the process earlier this year. The MDOC has also called my past employers. Even told my current employer that they are going to offer me the position. I still have not heard anything, However, if they are calling to get info on you then that is a good thing. I'm thinking that they will call early Oct. A guy I went to Ferris State with was hired last year and was called early Oct. We both have our Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. Good Luck everyone!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

57 months ago

I would consider looking elsewhere for a job at this time. The MDOC is not a stable career. They just announced another prisoner closure today. There is also serious talk about going to 12 hour shifts which would lay off the bottom 750 officers across the state (this doesn't even include the closure). I have been in the MDOC for 6 years and have to think if I will still have my job every year. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

57 months ago

Sounds like Michigan has dropped in the # of prisoners. Does this mean that crime is down???? or are we just releasing people early? Come October 1st when the state cuts everyone off of their cash, I wonder what it will be like then here in this Doomed-jobless state. I also think they(FBI) rated Flint the most dangerous place to live....makes me wonder why that is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

57 months ago

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan said: I have done everything and I am still waiting. I just did everything this month so they are still testing and interviewing. They have stopped all the testing and stuff so I am thinking that something will come up soon hopefully. They wont tell anyone when an academy is scheduled becuase they dont want the over abundence of call coming in to check on their application. I currently work in a juvenile detention center and hoping to get into the DOC. If you look on Michigans job posting for the state they have a posting for Correction Officer recruits so they have to have something in mind. I was also told from a close friend that works for the DOC that they usually run them in the fall or winter time. I have my AAS-Corrections and almost finished my Bachelors degree.

For the people that have done the interview and pt test and passed did they have you sign a pice of paper that states that you cant transfer facilities for the first year? They have also called my past employers.

Good luck everyone.

You are not eligible to transfer until your 1 year probation period is over. If you want to transfer after that, you must find someone in the facility you would like to go to and do a "1 for 1". You are not guaranteed a transfer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

57 months ago

Don't worry everyone!!! I hear that a private company might start bidding to take over state jobs. So there will be jobs,however; I've been looking at private companies that do this.....They pay as much as $9 an hour.....Wow....and they might pay part of your medical....just something to look forward to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

matt in Montpelier, Vermont

57 months ago

I used to work for MDOC
Got sick of the games / layoffs
moved to Vermont
Work for VT DOC
all the OT you can handle
6 week academy
any facility you want....

its a good gig

now hiring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan

57 months ago

J in Davison, Michigan said: You are not eligible to transfer until your 1 year probation period is over. If you want to transfer after that, you must find someone in the facility you would like to go to and do a "1 for 1". You are not guaranteed a transfer.

Hello I did have an interview and fitness test for Michigan and did not have to sign anything stating that there were no transfers until 1 year in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan

57 months ago

Hello Michigan applicants/workers I have a question...I went through the interview process including the fitness test earlier this year around March/April. Last week I received a manila envelope with info stating that I am to scheduled to report for my SECOND fitness test. Does anyone know what this means and does anyone know if I will be hired soon? I am still in the waiting pool.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

57 months ago

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan said: Hello Michigan applicants/workers I have a question...I went through the interview process including the fitness test earlier this year around March/April. Last week I received a manila envelope with info stating that I am to scheduled to report for my SECOND fitness test. Does anyone know what this means and does anyone know if I will be hired soon? I am still in the waiting pool.

Thanks!

Every 6 months the MDOC has every applicant re-do fitness test. They should have told you this at your interview. This is what I was told. And for being hired!!!!No one knows when they will be hiring again. I hope it is soon. However, the MDOC will be closing Mound prison. Hope this helps.....I too will need to update my fitness test soon. The good thing is that they are keeping us up to date for the list. This leads me to believe that something will happen soon. Or this could just be me hoping again!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

57 months ago

DeterminedDame in Highland Park, Michigan said: Hello I did have an interview and fitness test for Michigan and did not have to sign anything stating that there were no transfers until 1 year in.

When you start the academy and then go to your facility, you are on a 1 year probation (You are called a "Red Tag" and then a "Green Tag"). At the end of your 1 year probation, you take the fitness test again. If you fail the fitness test 3 times, you are let go. You cannot transfer during your probation period. Once you turn "status" (after 1 year) you can look for someone to do a transfer with you. On another note, What did you put down for availability? Statewide or what counties?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

57 months ago

David in Oak Ridge, Tennessee said: Correctional Officers make $1927.00 a month with benefits. And there is no pt test or interveiw like Michigan. Take your application to the facility you want to be employed with. You want to be employed with Morgan County take the application to their facility. Its not based on race or gender and veterans do have first picks!

There is NO way I would work for any DOC making $1927 a month with benefits. Michigan starts at $2534 per month and tops out at $3883 per month plus benefits. Too many risks involved for $12 an hour. Also, Every DOC should have a PT Test. When I'm on the yard with 600 inmates and my partner (yes, 1 partner) is 150 yards away watching his area, I want to know he can run and help when I'm getting my A$$ kicked. If you're not in shape to do a fitness test, you should not apply. Just my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

57 months ago

J in Davison, Michigan said: There is NO way I would work for any DOC making $1927 a month with benefits. Michigan starts at $2534 per month and tops out at $3883 per month plus benefits. Too many risks involved for $12 an hour. Also, Every DOC should have a PT Test. When I'm on the yard with 600 inmates and my partner (yes, 1 partner) is 150 yards away watching his area, I want to know he can run and help when I'm getting my A$$ kicked. If you're not in shape to do a fitness test, you should not apply. Just my opinion.

I Agree!!!! The test was easy in the first place!!! and $2500 a month is my min. I'm looking at Texas department of corrections but their pay is some what low.....maybe that is why they have a high turn over....and are hurting for officers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bigcphilly in Millington, Michigan

56 months ago

Steve in Burton, Michigan said: I Agree!!!! The test was easy in the first place!!! and $2500 a month is my min. I'm looking at Texas department of corrections but their pay is some what low.....maybe that is why they have a high turn over....and are hurting for officers.

Do not waste your time going to TDCJ. The pay is absolutely terrible(I started as a COIII and after taking out my money for benefits, I was making sixteen hundred a month) You won't get paid for your overtime,and The Department doesn't care about its officers which is just pathetic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

56 months ago

bigcphilly in Millington, Michigan said: Do not waste your time going to TDCJ. The pay is absolutely terrible(I started as a COIII and after taking out my money for benefits, I was making sixteen hundred a month) You won't get paid for your overtime,and The Department doesn't care about its officers which is just pathetic.

Thanks for the heads up....I just went through testing for Atlanta PD. Sounds like a good place to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan

56 months ago

J in Davison, Michigan said: When you start the academy and then go to your facility, you are on a 1 year probation (You are called a "Red Tag" and then a "Green Tag"). At the end of your 1 year probation, you take the fitness test again. If you fail the fitness test 3 times, you are let go. You cannot transfer during your probation period. Once you turn "status" (after 1 year) you can look for someone to do a transfer with you. On another note, What did you put down for availability? Statewide or what counties?

They had me sign the slip stating about not being able to transfer for one year and explained all that to me. I have not received a call stating that I have been chosen for an academy but have heard the beginning of 2012 they plan to have an academy. I put down Jackson, Lenawee, Branch, Chelsea, Washthenaw. I have heard that Jackson county need officers bad. So we shall see. Fingers are crossed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

56 months ago

If you want the best chance getting into the State, you need to put statewide on where you're willing to work. For example, If you only put Jackson county and there are no openings but Livingston county has 50 openings (45 minutes Northeast), you WILL NOT get a call. The more choices you give, the better chance you have. Mound Correctional Facility is set to close on 1/6/12. 210 officers have the choice to fill vacancies in Jackson county and their bumping region based on seniority. On a worse note, A new Healthcare Bill passed yesterday (HB4701) affecting all new employees hired after 1/1/12. Retiree healthcare will be eliminated and instead, the state will match an additional 2% into your 401k. You will also receive $1000 or $2000 depending on the age you retire. Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan

56 months ago

Thank you, you have been very helpful with everythng. One more question. Have they figured out if they are going to privatize SAI yet? I work in a juvenile detention and treatment facility and I love my job so I am not to worried if I dont get recruited but if I did that would be great being that is what I graduated college for. They told me my interview went good and they are expecting to run an academy after the first of the year. I had a family friend that talked to one of the recruitment officers and was looking for me at the interview.
Again thank you for your response..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

56 months ago

They are taking bids for SAI (Woodland Corrrectional Facility also). It is unknown to everyone if any bids have been submitted. I know in the past they tried to bid SAI and have failed. If these 2 do go private, no one knows what kind of pay or benefits they would offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

56 months ago

Does anyone know if I could call to change my availability to state wide???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan

55 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about an academy yet? I know they have it in this years fiscal budget for a new recruit academy but not sure when they are going to operate one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Davison, Michigan

55 months ago

You can call the Civil Service department and have your availability changed. There is no telling when the next academy will be. Mound Facility is scheduled to close on 1/6/12. They will fill vacancies at other facilities with the officers from Mound and the bump region. It is just a waiting game. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Hillsdale, Michigan

54 months ago

Has anyone heard anything yet? I am still waiting and hoping. Mound is due to close withn the week then I heard they were going to lift the hiring freeze. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear something after they lift the freeze?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

54 months ago

I'm on the list to be called and nothing as of yet. However, it has been at least 6 months since I did the agility test and have not been called back down to do it again. I hope soon...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Steve in Burton, Michigan said: I'm on the list to be called and nothing as of yet. However, it has been at least 6 months since I did the agility test and have not been called back down to do it again. I hope soon...

I did the p.t test on 9/9/11 in marquette. The other day i got a letter stating that i have to do it again because mine will expire in the near future. I'm scheduled to do it on 1/10/12 in marquette.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chad in Farmington, Michigan

54 months ago

cory in Bessemer, Michigan said: I did the p.t test on 9/9/11 in marquette. The other day i got a letter stating that i have to do it again because mine will expire in the near future. I'm scheduled to do it on 1/10/12 in marquette.

Mine will expire next month. I am debating to re take it if they aren't planning on doing anything in my area. I don't want to take a day off work for nothing to happen. Ill get a little upset. This is the worst thing about Michigan. They tell you nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

54 months ago

Cory, sounds like they will call you.....did you pick the U.P. for places you will take a CO position? Think they need people in the U.P.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Steve in Burton, Michigan said: Cory, sounds like they will call you.....did you pick the U.P. for places you will take a CO position? Think they need people in the U.P.

Yes i picked Ojibway,Marquette,and Baraga. Really want Ojibway it's about 20 miles from my home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Hey good news academy in April.Just came back from my p.t test.Thats what they told me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

54 months ago

Thanks Cory!!!! good news....I just sent my papers in to change my availability to state wide...thanks...keep us filled in and I will do the same. did they say where the academy will take place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Didn't really say sounds like Kinross. From what friends said .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

54 months ago

Cool!! I called them today and they said that my availability was updated as I was on the phone with her. She said I would get something in the mail to go do my p.t test in the first two weeks of Feb.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Burton, Michigan

54 months ago

Cool!! I called today and they said that my availability was updated as I was on the phone with her. She said I would get something in the mail to go do my p.t test in the first two weeks of Feb.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Steve in Burton, Michigan said: Cool!! I called today and they said that my availability was updated as I was on the phone with her. She said I would get something in the mail to go do my p.t test in the first two weeks of Feb.

Thats awesome. From what I heard Marquette needs like 43 officers and Baraga needs 30 and Ojibway needs 17. But we all know how rumors go. So good luck. Fill me in if they say anything to you at your p.t.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve

54 months ago

I will keep you udated....my buddy that graduated from Ferris State University the same time I did was hired in Oct. 2010....he said after you get the call to be placed....its all down hill from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Bessemer, Michigan

54 months ago

Steve said: I will keep you udated....my buddy that graduated from Ferris State University the same time I did was hired in Oct. 2010....he said after you get the call to be placed....its all down hill from there.

They told me during the oral exit interview after the p.t. That i'm in and going to Ojibway. He said i will get the call in march.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve

54 months ago

cory in Bessemer, Michigan said: They told me during the oral exit interview after the p.t. That i'm in and going to Ojibway. He said i will get the call in march.

Cory....did you have to do an pre interview before the pt test...or did they just do a exit interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Ironwood, Michigan

54 months ago

Steve said: Cory....did you have to do an pre interview before the pt test...or did they just do a exit interview

Steve. Just the exit interview after the p.t. All it is they tell you whats going on and make sure all your paper work is in order. Its not really an interview. Its just to spread alittle light on whats going to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Rosedale, Maryland

54 months ago

cory in Ironwood, Michigan said: Steve. Just the exit interview after the p.t. All it is they tell you whats going on and make sure all your paper work is in order. Its not really an interview. Its just to spread alittle light on whats going to happen.

Thanks Cory!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Franklin, Michigan

53 months ago

Hey guys I stumbled across this forum and you guys answered a lot of my questions. I too have an interview in Feb. I'm from the Detroit Area. Heard the current opening are for the UP, Traverse City, and Manistee. Going to have to be a big relocation for me if I get the job. Do what you got to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve

53 months ago

That's right Dan....You can always relocate later. Who knows we just might like it in the north. Good luck Dan....keep us filled in and we will do the same...still waiting on my letter to update my agility test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve

53 months ago

Also, about the interview!!! I'm assuming that's why you did some research and found this forum. They are real helpful. In my case anyway!! They will ask you questions (e.g., A inmate’s mother died and you are in a position that you must report information to your supervisor. However, you know this inmate has lost his privilege to make phone calls, what would you do?) In my case, if they wanted more info they would add to my answer and asked if I agreed. I had someone tell me this. He also, went and interviewed and was hired by MDOC....This was helpful for me to be more relaxed in my interview. So I'm just passing it along.....Good luck and you'll be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

To Cory!!!! I did my update agility test yesterday.... they said that the target date for academy is April 9th in Lansing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Ironwood, Michigan

53 months ago

Steve in Chicago, Illinois said: To Cory!!!! I did my update agility test yesterday.... they said that the target date for academy is April 9th in Lansing.

Steve, a buddy of mine called me yesterday and said he was doing the p.t in lansing yesterday and said the same. What area did you pick for a job. (GOOD LUCK) It will be a long drive home for me every weekend (11) plus hour ride. I think there is three people from around here where i live that are trying to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

Good!!! You could car pool.....I went State wide.....they had me number places where I would go over others.....so Grand Traverse, Manistee, Chippewa, Luce, and Marquette....However, I told them I would go where ever they needed me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

Also, for those people who are local to the area's they are hiring for and just starting the hiring process.....they might hold 2 academy's. They would like to hire people that live local.....hire those in the community first....which is only fair....so keep on track with the hiring process....it's never to late!!!! Just passing on info, I would like someone to do the same for me....hope this helps!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wcantwel in Marquette, Michigan

53 months ago

Quick question. Anyone hear anything more about the rounds of job fairs the MIDOC put on in Jan 2012 (Marquette, MI)? I received a letter stating I was exempt from the civil service exam due to degree/military experience and placed in corrections officer applicant pool 8. Just wondering how long it could be until I hear something more for this job.(Yes I filled out the Background/employment history sheet and resent DD214/college transcripts. )

Thanks for any info. Ill pass along any news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Wilmette, Illinois

53 months ago

To wcantwel, Did you do your interview and agility test? If so, I believe the next step would be a phone call to offer you a co position at a location. However, If you have not done the interview and agility test....I don't remember how long it took for me to hear back. I do feel they are speeding up the process though for people that live in the community for which they are hiring...it says your from Marquette...so I would think you will hear something soon. With that being said.....it says that I'm in Chicago; however, I live in the flint area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cory in Ironwood, Michigan

52 months ago

Got my call this a.m . Going to lansing April 9th for the academy. Got placed at Ojibway hell ya. Good luck everyone hope to see ya at the academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.