College student looking at counseling grad programs... Advice please?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

NicoleSliger in Valparaiso, Indiana

56 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm a junior in college almost done with my BA in Psych. My ultimate goal is to be a counselor for teen girls. I feel like girls' issues are often overlooked, or just thought of as girls being emotional and hormonal. I really feel like often times it's more than that, and I want to be there to help them. I am specifically interested in self harm and eating disorders. Anyway, I'm starting to look at grad programs, and I really need some advice. In your opinion, which grad program would you all suggest? Masters in counseling? PhD? PsyD? I am so overwhelmed. I feel like I have no direction. Help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonstar in Columbia, South Carolina

54 months ago

Sounds like you'd want to get your MA in Counseling. But you'd need to become licensed afterward to be able to practice at agencies/non profits that require licenses. If you want to do more school and make more money, then PsyD, if you want to teach or have research opportunities then PhD.

I'd highly suggest taking a small break after getting your BA in Psychology to test the waters in your field. Volunteer/and or intern at some places that offer a service that you'd like to work with. I jumped a month after graduating with my BA to getting my MA in Counseling, and I wish I would have really taken the time out to see and work a bit in the field that I chose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

george ps in San Antonio, Texas

53 months ago

NicoleSliger in Valparaiso, Indiana said: Hi everyone. I'm a junior in college almost done with my BA in Psych. My ultimate goal is to be a counselor for teen girls. I feel like girls' issues are often overlooked, or just thought of as girls being emotional and hormonal. I really feel like often times it's more than that, and I want to be there to help them. I am specifically interested in self harm and eating disorders. Anyway, I'm starting to look at grad programs, and I really need some advice. In your opinion, which grad program would you all suggest? Masters in counseling? PhD? PsyD? I am so overwhelmed. I feel like I have no direction. Help?

Come to Our Lady Of The Lake Univ. in San Antonio,TX They have
PsyD. and Masters in Counseling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.