Obtaining hours toward license while working in England

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Angelina Monell in Ridgewood, New York

22 months ago

I will be done with my Master's in Mental Health Counseling in six months and have been wanting to practice in England. I also need to be able to earn 3000 hrs towards licensing. Does anyone know of universities, organizations or companies that I can find employment with that would be valid when I return to the U.S. for my licensing exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LadyMagnificat in Buffalo, New York

21 months ago

Angelina Monell in Ridgewood, New York said: I will be done with my Master's in Mental Health Counseling in six months and have been wanting to practice in England. I also need to be able to earn 3000 hrs towards licensing. Does anyone know of universities, organizations or companies that I can find employment with that would be valid when I return to the U.S. for my licensing exam?

Angelina,
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation -- that's very exciting and something to be proud of! I strongly suggest that you read the requirements of licensure in NY before you get your heart set on practicing in England after you graduate. I've included a link to the NY State Licensing Board as follows: www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mhp/mhclic.htm

Speaking from personal experience and from reading these forums -- licensure is not something that you want to mess up because it can be very costly and time-consuming if you don't do it according to your state's exact standards. You should be aware that a MS in Mental Health has very limited application if you don't get licensed. I will be finishing my 3000 hours of supervised hours in NY in early 2013 and I have read through the requirements several times on the NY state website to make sure I'm doing it according to the book, every step of the way. One potential red flag from what you've described is that, in order to get licensed in the state of NY, your 3000 hours have to be in an approved facility/setting and you must be supervised by someone who is licensed and registered in NY. That combination might be hard to find in England. I'm not saying it can't be done because I don't know -- but you'll save yourself a lot of grief by having a crystal clear understanding of the licensure requirements in whatever state (or country) where you ultimately want to work -- and making decisions based on those licensure requirements. Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.