how to prepare for residential counselor position interview.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

mohammed adam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

I am going for interview with regards to the topic above.I don't know what to expect. Please, get me some ideas that can land me my dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Maria Roman in Worcester, Massachusetts

92 months ago

mohammed adam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I am going for interview with regards to the topic above.I don't know what to expect. Please, get me some ideas that can land me my dream job.

I really want this job i love helping people out I'm so nervous for this interview is like a test and not knowing the anwers or what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dean Gilbertson in Rochester, Minnesota

91 months ago

Going in for an interview for a counselor position requires realism with a sense of confidence. The realism is to not voice.."all I want to do is to be able to help one person". Having a high degree of knowledge concerning the 12 core functions of counseling. It serves one well to be able to know the difference between "rehab" and "habilitation" (prior to the interview)so that you present yourself as someone who grasps treating the client with a "holistic" approach. Most important of all is to be yourself !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

DrSnipes in Alachua, Florida

72 months ago

I would strongly recommend reviewing TAP21 tie.samhsa.gov/Taps/tap21/TAP21Toc.html

Be aware of whether you are interviewing at a facility that is 12-step based or grounded in CBT and/or Rational Recovery principles and make sure you can believe in and implement that foundation. I have had clinicians who were athiest try to work in a 12-step facility and not be able to get past the "higher power" concept. We also would give people a skills test to assess their diagnostic, treatment planning and progress noting skills. Be familiar with these if you are applying for a clinical position. I agree with the others, it is important to be yourself. Addicts are very perceptive, so you will be more successful as a clinician if you get hired based on your true personality and beliefs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Boone, North Carolina

64 months ago

I work at a organization that employs lots of residential counselors, and have worked in several group homes. I think that the thing employers look for most is a person who will have good boundaries and be able to be firm and have structure while being compassionate. it is easy to find people who care and want to help, but not so easy to find poeple who are assertive with clients. also people often take jobs like this to meet thier own needs (to feel helpful, etc) rather than meet the clients' needs, so employers are on the lookout for this. communicate that it is more important to you to do what is best for your clients than for them to like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.