private practice with physicians?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

michelle in Boone, North Carolina

64 months ago

I am an LPC who wants to enter private practice in TN. I am scared to just hang out a shingle, and have noticed that there seems to be a trend of therapists going into a practice with pediatricians or family docs. It seems like that would be beneficial to both parties, referring back and forth, and going together with office space, admin assts., insurance billing etc. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach a doc about becoming part of their practice? Is this the new trend? Anyone out there who does this? (Better yet, anyone know about any opportunities in the tri-cities area? I have 8 yrs experience and have lots of specialized training.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hagan30 in Elizabethton, Tennessee

57 months ago

Michelle,
I am also an LPC in the Tri-cities area considering starting a private practice. I agree that going in with a doc is a good idea. I'm relatively new to the area, so I don't know of any existing opportunities, but my husband is a dentist who will be opening a practice here and we had considered a relationship like what you are talking about, shared overhead and staff. I'd love to discuss it if you are still interested in doing that. You can email me at hagan30@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

moberlyhealth in Moberly, Missouri

38 months ago

hagan30 in Elizabethton, Tennessee said: Michelle,
I am also an LPC in the Tri-cities area considering starting a private practice. I agree that going in with a doc is a good idea. I'm relatively new to the area, so I don't know of any existing opportunities, but my husband is a dentist who will be opening a practice here and we had considered a relationship like what you are talking about, shared overhead and staff. I'd love to discuss it if you are still interested in doing that. You can email me at hagan30@gmail.com

I am in private practice as an LPC and rent a very inexpensive office. I have secured good relationships with a few docs. A sincerely good doctor will truly enjoy referring patients to an established LPC. Since I cannot bill Medicare, it is difficult to maintain a steady flow of client's though I am contracted with TONS of insurance companies, and do other counseling work as well. Here in my state we can bill Medicaid for the kidos, and adult mothers and that is about it. There are other ways of billing for services under certain facility accreditation statuses. You really have to be on the ball with marketing, community involvement, and contracting to be able to make it as a counselor in private practice. I see clients on a part-time basis and even though I have a billing clerk, faxing, scanning, and filling out paper work take a lot of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.