a wise industry for career changing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jenny in Warren, Ohio

47 months ago

For all the counseling professionals out there, I am wondering how you feel about your occupation, its future, and your future. Are jobs hard to come by? Are you satisfied in your work?

I hold a business degree and have been in the typical office atmosphere. Not too much stress, and honestly pretty boring and predictable. I am very driven to do something that will help others. I do not care for details on company figure's, I care more about details in people's lives. I love people and have a general curiosity about them. I like to learn who people are, what they feel/believe/desire/etc. I also love to share information and useful tips. Naturally, I tend to offer advice on anything I know to family, friends, co-workers, and even people I just met. I become energized by helping people with issues I have dealt with myself in life- from deciding on a college major, weight-loss and food addiction, debt management, and even legal matters (since I have a history that resulted from alchohol).

I have a strong desire to motivate and encourage change that others want in their lives.

I am wondering if perhaps a career in counseling would be for me, or if I should just look for something that has some of these elements but would not require more school beyond my BA such as recruiting/staffing, etc. I am aware that most licensed couseling work requires a masters and more, so it would be a commitment that I want to be sure on.

If I did get into counseling, I think I would be most interested in working with adolescents, juvenile offenders, and other corrections areas.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts, ideas, advice, or just general beliefs from people in this field.

Thank you for any replies! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

pembrb in Cincinnati, Ohio

33 months ago

Counseling is a rewarding field, however i struggle with wondering if I took the right path into it.
I'm an LPC in Ohio working in a correctional facility. I graduated with my MA in mental health counseling a year ago from an accredited program. It took me awhile to find a job- and the job itself has pretty low pay (my sister with a BA is a probation officer and makes more than me) and it's more geared towards substance abuse than mental health. I do enjoy it though. A lot of mental health funding has been cut lately- and there's a push in mental health agencies to do fee-for-service or contract work instead of being full-time with benefits. Funding has been steady for corrections though, but it is demanding, there's a lot of burnout, and there's also some role conflict between being a counselor but being an authority figure in that setting.
Social workers get paid more and are a more recognized field. Their mindset and training is different though- and although I've met some excellent SW clinicians I feel I had more counseling training which is frustrating.
I have wondered if i should have gone the psychiatric nurse practictioner route or the social worker route. I might possibly go back for my PhD too. Avoid going into school counseling in Ohio- the jobs are not there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.