NCCCO grandfather clause ???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 124)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

60 months ago

That's the problem I'm having now. Finding a program that allows only the written test around my area. The test doesn't concern me, I've taken literally dozens and dozens over the years. But the certification programs I've found so far require the written, the skills , etc.. All for a nominal fee of course.
Money's tight for everybody right now and there are a lot of veteran and up and coming operators on the market...just wondering if it's worth it.
Good luck to all and hopefully this economy will get better and we'll all find a seat.

Mobile crane op. in OKC, Barnhart was looking for an op.. Not sure if they still are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

60 months ago

You're obviously a green horn, one drum rookie.
Huh , craneworm ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

MobileCrane operator in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

60 months ago

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: You're obviously a green horn, one drum rookie.
Huh , craneworm ?

sorry I am not as great as you. Get over yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

IRONBULL in Dacula, Georgia

60 months ago

I am in the same boat with over 15 yrs and it b.s. that i have to pay ncco $165.00 plus $150.00 sit in fee just for the written part, then $65.00 to ncco and who knows how much for the practical? It was a great idea 10 years ago but now these people are selling these certs for couple thousand, wave majic wand and poof your an operator! Regardless that your only experience is the 15 mins the instructor showed you what to do to pass the practical. Dont forget the twic card you need now for $132.50 to work near water. Where does all this rip-off money go to? I mean WHO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crane guy in Bellmore, New York

60 months ago

if you dont have the nccco cert by sept 1you cant run a crane in new york city and we need a city lic also without the nccco your city lic aint worth crap lucky enough i went and got all but tower crane but work is still slow.it all sucks

Mobile Crane Operator in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

60 months ago

So let me get this straight. Do you have to be a member of the Operators Union,have a city cert and also have a NCCCO to work in NY? If that's the case then I guess I won't be working in new york anytime soon. How long has it been since you had work crane guy in Bellmore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

no its for everyone union and non union and i work its just everything is slow these days everywhere bad economy and if someone is a real operator they should have no problem passing the nccco course its a good thing to have the genral knowledge part is very good you do learn alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I have my NCCCO its I specialized in one area and thats Large Telescopic Boom. I am gonna have to beef up my NCCCO with some more endorsments. I am sorry to hear that work is slow for ya. I hope it picks up. Take it easy or how you can get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Mobile Crane Operator in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I have my NCCCO its I specialized in one area and thats Large Telescopic Boom. I am gonna have to beef up my NCCCO with some more endorsments. I am sorry to hear that work is slow for ya. I hope it picks up. Take it easy or how you can get it.

thanks yeah get all you can its only gonna make you stronger

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mohamed ali guesmi in Tunisia

60 months ago

im a snguler 24 yers old stage 3 withe crane worke offshour 6 yerse experience spek arabek engleshe and franche

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mohamed ali guesmi in Tunisia

60 months ago

salut894

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

akundermekilt@yahoo.com in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

i have been operating for over 2 years and i had to go get my nccco card and still cant find a job. this is the best economy ive seen. lol it sucks , im going broke and using all my savings to pay bills and support my family. needing HELP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I am sorry to hear that. If I hear or see anything I will let you know. Have you checked the industrail hotsheets. It's a good source. Maybe you'll find something there. Well I hope and pray you get some work soon.

craneman in Middleburg, Florida

60 months ago

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: This NCCCO thing is a joke. I've been an operator for almost 30 years and there's not many types or sizes of cranes I haven't been on. Needless to say, I'm a career operator. Crane work is all I know and I know a lot about 'em. Grove, Krupp, American , Mani's . you name it , I probably been on it. My gripe is without this piece of plastic called a NCCCO companies won't hire you. regardless of your experience even if you have a truckload of references.
Is there not a clause in this certification program that allows older operators to grandfather in ?
If not, how the heck do you get this plastic ?
There are a lot of good jobs posted here but without the card the old hands can't land 'em and with the card and little experience the newer operators can't either.
geeeeeeees!!
I'm considering a career move !

If you know what you say you know it will be a breeze for you get your card I recently got mine and have 30yrs under my belt from a small pettibone to a 9310 to a 1250 leibherr crawler and every thing in between, all they want is for you to prove you know what you said you know and get all the blow hearts and rubber elbows out and theirs a lot of them it leaves more work for those who know what there doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NCCCO Operator Randy

59 months ago

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: This NCCCO thing is a joke. I've been an operator for almost 30 years and there's not many types or sizes of cranes I haven't been on. Needless to say, I'm a career operator. Crane work is all I know and I know a lot about 'em. Grove, Krupp, American , Mani's . you name it , I probably been on it. My gripe is without this piece of plastic called a NCCCO companies won't hire you. regardless of your experience even if you have a truckload of references.
Is there not a clause in this certification program that allows older operators to grandfather in ?
There are a lot of good jobs posted here but without the card the old hands can't land 'em and with the card and little experience the newer operators can't either.
geeeeeeees!!

you need to take the test I started operating crane in 1978 had to take the test was it easy no not really but I passed my first time dose every one pass no I have heard of many brother operators not passing why becouse they dont run crane as well as they think they do so stop complaneing and take the test and prove you can do it and make our industry a lot safer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Craneman in Pensacola, Florida

59 months ago

haulbot1@yahoo.com in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin said: spend the money get your card if you think you know it good enough you can take the test for a sit in fee and not pay for any of the schooling

That's bad advice I took the class and past the test with a high score and but I don't think I would have made it with out the class and I have been in the seat since 1977, right or wrong you have to answer the questions the way they want them answered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

crane guy in East Meadow, New York

59 months ago

nccco isnt hard but you have to work for it i got all but tower crane .

Robert in Oakland, California

58 months ago

haulbot1@yahoo.com in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin said: spend the money get your card if you think you know it good enough you can take the test for a sit in fee and not pay for any of the schooling

I would get a cco training workbook... for the operating engineers. You think you know Huh...

How high should tires be off groung???

outrigger blocking should be how many times the pad???

minimum swing clearance for mobile crane is how many feet???

When setting up near excavation the crane should not be closer then what???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

geeeeeeees!!

It's easy to get the card...cco traning workbook for the Operating Engineers... read that and go take a test somewhere...it's easy

58 months ago

akundermekilt@yahoo.com in Denver, Colorado said: i have been operating for over 2 years and i had to go get my nccco card and still cant find a job. this is the best economy ive seen. lol it sucks , im going broke and using all my savings to pay bills and support my family. needing HELP.

I have not worked sence feb... NCCCO I been pay union dues & I have no medical insurnce now... I'm going to quit paying dues running out of $$$$$$$

58 months ago

operator1 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: You're obviously a green horn, one drum rookie.
Huh , craneworm ?

TRUE STORY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Craneman in Pensacola, Florida said: That's bad advice I took the class and past the test with a high score and but I don't think I would have made it with out the class and I have been in the seat since 1977, right or wrong you have to answer the questions the way they want them answered.

so true... I'm going to start classes I think. No work in running them...scabs taking are work away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wannabecraneop in Simpsonville, South Carolina

58 months ago

I'm thinking of going to crane op school. I have no experience. What are the best schools and will anyone hire me right out of school? I'm looking at Georgia School of Construction, Conyers GA, York Technical College in Rock Hill, SC near Charlotte and Assoc Training Svcs in Colombus OH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

haulbot1 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

58 months ago

Try cranewise in Lubbock Tx. They are a better deal and have former teachers from that schools OKC location who have all told me that NAHETS targets people that don't even stand a chance to pass the tests.

craneman in Orange Park, Florida

58 months ago

A lot of companies won't work you with out time in the seat but you get NCCCO certified and a class A CDL and go to work for a Crane Rental outfit as a rigger/Truck Driver and you'll get some seat time and then they won't leave you alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mobile Crane Operator in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get hired by one but its still difficult cause if they don't have work,well they aren't hiring.

Mobile Crane Operator in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

Wow the school in OKC does that. Thats screwed. Why would they do it. I mean I went there and I passed.What sucked was they only trained in one type of crane.

58 months ago

haulbot1 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin said: Try cranewise in Lubbock Tx. They are a better deal and have former teachers from that schools OKC location who have all told me that NAHETS targets people that don't even stand a chance to pass the tests.

What is NAHETS and what do you mean by they target people? Thanks in advance.

58 months ago

craneman in Orange Park, Florida said: A lot of companies won't work you with out time in the seat but you get NCCCO certified and a class A CDL and go to work for a Crane Rental outfit as a rigger/Truck Driver and you'll get some seat time and then they won't leave you alone.

How easy is it to find a crane rental outfit and get hired? I guess I should go to crane school first and pass the tast for nccco cert and then get the class A CDL right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

haulbot1 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

58 months ago

nahets is the group that owns those schools in ga,ok,ca.
they don't screen people well some people just can't get it and a simple appititude test would tell if you could do it. We had quite a few people pay $8500 and not pass cause they should have never been there in the 1st place

58 months ago

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you all posted.

RJ Armstrong in Choctaw, Oklahoma

57 months ago

I am posting this just to give you all some info on the NCCCO to help you locate all the info etc. I have been in the crane industry for 8 years as an inspector and instructor. I am out of it now. So this is not to sway you but to help.

There is a NCCCO test site in Oklahoma City, actually 2, one is higher than a cat's back they promise you the world & don't deliver. The other one you have a choice, you can sit for the test or you can attend the Preparatory Training then sit for the test the same week while it is fresh in your head.
You would not believe all the Big Hooks and Ole timer's that can't read a load chart and unless you can you will not pass the test. The Prep training does just that prepares you to pass the written exam, so unless you can read a chart, know all of OSHA 1910.180, 1926.550, 1910.184 & ASME B30.5 you will not pass without the prep training. It is well worth the money, you will get a return on the $ by having that card in your pocket, if you have checked lately the CCO Op's make $5 - $10 more per hour depending on where you are in the US and who it is.
Some of you may or may not know that in Canada you have to have a license to operate a crane, it has been that way for a long time; so with all the accidents in the US the NCCCO was formed to help educate operators in the safe operation of cranes to help alleviate such accidents.
FYI, there is no 'grandfather clause" with NCCCO and there are 4 categories for mobiles:
* Lattice Boom Crawler Cranes (LBC)
* Lattice Boom Truck Cranes (LBT)
* Large Telescopic Boom Cranes (TLL - Swing Cab)
* Small Telescopic Boom Cranes (TSS - Fixed Cab)
You can also get certified in Overheads, Articulating & Tower Cranes, Rigging & Signaling. If you go to NCCCO.org you can find training providers near you, they are listed alpha by name of the company under each state abbreviation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

writerman1 in Baltimore, Maryland

56 months ago

geeeeeeees!!

I agree, i too have operated for over 20 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

writerman1 in Baltimore, Maryland

56 months ago

I too have operated for over 20 years, where is my clause

Ray in Denver, Colorado

56 months ago

geeeeeeees!!

I was in the same situation,28 years as crane operator coudn't get a job without the nccco, now i'm driving truck pulling flatbed making twice the money i used to.home every fri.

local101 hand in Liberty, Missouri

56 months ago

geeeeeeees!!

Join your local operators union. they will hook you right up or find out your a worm with a lot of blow. i have 33 yrs behind me and all 5 certs. oh ya i also work steady and make 126,000 a yr. union up or shut up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SHON FRANCIS in Columbus, Ohio

56 months ago

I AM PRAYING FOR EMPLOYMENT FOR ALL OF YOU GREAT PEOPLE OUT THERE! JUST HAVE FAITH NAD GOD WILL PROVIDE THE REST1

56 months ago

Hey local 101 hand can the union get a op right out of school with certs a job even if he has no experience?

Ben in Northampton, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I am thinking of going to ATS in New Hampshire. They have 10 schools all over the place and they do Heavy Equipment and Mobile Crane. I would do the crane training. Has anyone heard of this school and if yes, could you give me feed back? I don't want to bleed through the nose for a low quality school.

Manitowoc in Westerlo, New York

55 months ago

My advice pay the money take the class it will be the the best money you spend and pretty sure you won't pass with out it. you'll be surprised what you learn and been getting away with but go with an open mind. no matter how smart you are you never know it all!!!!

Manitowoc in Worcester, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Go to the nccco web site that will have all the info you need.

kenny kiff in New Iberia, Louisiana

55 months ago

SHON FRANCIS in Columbus, Ohio said: I AM PRAYING FOR EMPLOYMENT FOR ALL OF YOU GREAT PEOPLE OUT THERE! JUST HAVE FAITH NAD GOD WILL PROVIDE THE REST1

i sure wish he would hurry up cause i tell you 1 thing offshore ain't doing nothing at all and thats where i make my $.so i'm praying myself.......

TClyde in Lubbock, Texas

55 months ago

Ben in Northampton, Massachusetts said: thanks Manitowoc do you know of any other schools other than ATS that offers the same training with the outcome of NCCCO or NAHETS?

Ben,

I have information on a mobile crane school that will provide you with excellent NCCCO training. three certs.

JMAYOESQ in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

Ben in Northampton, Massachusetts said: I am thinking of going to ATS in New Hampshire. They have 10 schools all over the place and they do Heavy Equipment and Mobile Crane. I would do the crane training. Has anyone heard of this school and if yes, could you give me feed back? I don't want to bleed through the nose for a low quality school.

I graduated from ATS in Columbus, Ohio two years ago as Level III Heavy Equipment operator. I have yet to obtain a job in this field and I was willing to relocate anywhere in the country. Iv'e had only one interview and no one will give me the time of day. Every company wants experience, forget ATS, it's a waste of money and time. Their job placement assistance is a joke! As long as this school has been around, you think they would have a pipeline in place for grads!

Good Luck
Frustrated

NorLus in Saint Albans, Vermont

55 months ago

I have been operating for over 20 years and I will go against anyone.
So were can I get work in this economy?

manitowoc in Bennington, Vermont

55 months ago

No it has nothing to do with the union it is the National Commission of Certified Crane Operators they have a web site just google nccco and it will come and explain it self.

crain in Southgate, Michigan

55 months ago

hum yea nyc have their own test which they have had way before the nccco and the test whole lot differnt than cco test so dont knock the unions they wernt bought that is the states of new york

54 months ago

Hey CCO Crane Operator in Pella IA. Thanks for your post. Whats The IUoe apprenticeship and how can a person become a Crane op apprentice? Start as a rigger? Thanks in advance.

54 months ago

what are all these certs. or you talking about????????????

54 months ago

i'm about as ole school has they come and never heard of alot ot the certs. pll or talking about in here. Is this tih union thing or what????????please help me out on this!!!!!!!!!!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.