i am considering crane school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tony Cepeda in Riverside, California

79 months ago

just remember,

a certification and knowledge about a machine can only do so much, employers want experience.

so don't expect to find a bunch of jobs immediately when you learn all these machines because few construction companies will take on someone young and with little experience.

find an outfit, hustle, and get experience...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jarred Brotherton in Palm Desert, California

79 months ago

Go for it I am 20 and went to school when I was 19 I am on my third job in 7 months worked powerplant ethanol and am currently building wind farms IM from missouir and am workin IN california now. You better be ready to travel but with a good head and a CCO you will get work and it will be good I made twice what my school cost me in 12 weeks about 33K

Oklahoma College of Construction is where I went.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rs in Houston, Ohio

78 months ago

tyler in Georgetown, Texas said: what does everyone think about going to crane school? i just turned 24 years old and am currently an erosion control foreman, which is kind of a dead end job. i am fluent in spanish from the last year and a half working construction with no one who speaks any english, i am currently making around 55k a year, but for the amount of work i do, it seems like i should be making more money. i am simply trying to figure out the fastest way to advance in construction and make the most money that i can while i am in great health. i have $36000 from the army in the montgomery gi bill and would really like to use that to go to either heavy equipment operator school or crane school. in your opinion, do you think that either of these schools would benefit me? would employers acually hire and pay well for someone who is certified in these types of equipment or would they rather teach someone who is already employed but not certified so they can pay them 13 or 14 dollars an hour? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever gone thru a union apprenticeship, not only will you get trained in day to day use and fully understand how to OPERATE a crane but you will get paid to do it and be placed on many different jobs, i have been operating 11 yrs now and make well in 10 k a month pay range, and still go to the training center all the time to work on my skills and learn other equipment, its just a thought but i think as we have all said, having certs are great, but experiance is what keeps everyone alive on a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TG in Central City, Kentucky

78 months ago

YOUR BEST BET WOULD PROBALY BE TO JOIN THE I.U.O.E. INTERNATIONAL UNION OF OPERATING ENGINEERS AS AN APPRENTICE, BUT IF THE MONEY YOU HAVE IS ONLY FOR A COLLEGE OR SCHOOL THEN I WOULD GO TO SCHOOL AND BECOME AN ENGINEER (CIVIL,MACHANICAL,ECT.)YOUR CRANE OPERATORS THAT HAVE ENGENEERING DEGREES MAKE ALOT OF MONEY AND DON'T HAVE TO RUN A CRANE THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dave cooper in Phoenix, Arizona

77 months ago

I have been operating cranes since 1985, from 115 ton friction to 5 ton hydro with out formal training. Making lifts of 75 ton on power plant construction to palm trees and boulders on landscaping projects. I wish that the company's that I worked for would have insisted on their operators having certifications. I would have a easier time now looking for a job. Not many places now are willing to take the time to train a new guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

james douglas in Suffield, Connecticut

77 months ago

hi, i am willing to join in the uion and i am willing to travel, is it a good idea to call a bunch to see if i can get into apprentice position, i work on the road paving right now, i have worked with bobcats and other small stuff, i know it something i would like to get into, any info would help, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeremiah in Phoenix, Arizona

77 months ago

JJ in Union City, Tennessee said: You can achieve you're goal without going to school. We already know that employers want experience, There is nothing better than letting a company train you, that way they see you're progress and along with you're progress will come better money.I started out with a big crane company making 12 an hour and in only three years now make 22.50. plus you gain the knowledge and experience of other operators.On the job training you achieve you're goal without the added bill. Good luck

The only thing about getting OJT is that you don't get your CCO certification, which you NEED in order to gte behind the controlls of a crane in most states, NJ being one of them.

I recently graduated from crane school and have my CCO cert for telescopic boom fixed and swing cab. I'm getting ready to start my Lattice boom and hopefully tower crane school as well. Don't forget to get your CDL A as well. Most employers will ask for a CDL A in their add and if you have one already, you will be a better candidate.

The construction field is a little slow in Phoenix right now, but hopefully it will pick up again soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

You might as well go to school and get your CCO cert as it is about to be required in all states. This way, you will be able to go to work as a rigger as soon as you get out of school.

Unions are ok. Mostly strong in the north eastern states though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Millington, Tennessee

77 months ago

The Crane company I work for pays for the written CCO and are qualified to give the practical. They also pay for all recerts and have a course on their grounds where you can practice you're skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jayson K in Billings, Montana

76 months ago

I have 15 Years exp. in heavy ind. construction 10 of those years running cranes, but I still coundn't get hired in most states without CCO. If you decide to go to school, Towercrane School of Phoenix is a great one. I learned more about crane operating in one week than in the previous 10 years of EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

newfoundman@eastlink.ca in Halifax, Nova Scotia

76 months ago

I advise anyone thinking about operating cranes to get professional training. I took mine thru the Operating Engineers. Of course experience is very important but it will be difficult for you to understand load charts and what these charts tell you about the safe operating limits of the specific crane, lifting quadrants load limits,structural or tipping failure limits, friction line loss etc.etc. Safety must be the main concern when lifting because people can be killed/maimed etc. If you f... up and you survive it, you will likely be held liable upto and including jail time if it was due to your negligance You owe it to yourself and everyone else to learn as much as possible. This is a very responsible job. You better know what the heck you are doing. My instructor told me tales of the old days when he lifted and determined the safe load limit by the action of his crane-- lifting untill she starts to tip. He lost a few friends along the way. There are all kinds of hazzards such as safe operation near electrical power lines to the safe assembly and disassembly of the crane sections etc.etc. Screw these up and someone is likely to be severly injured or die. Good professional training will teach you about these things so you don'thave to find out the hard way. Some may disagree but all we have to do is look at what happened before. I truly believe that training followed tih lots of experience is the best and safest way to go. If you are already operating and been lucky so far,good for you. I will still advise you to take some training from a reliable source if you can -- it won't hurt and you may be able to get the company you work for to pay for it or some of it. It will give them a better and safer operator and you will end up with some certificate to prove you certified. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeremiah in Scottsdale, Arizona

76 months ago

NCCCO Certification is on it's way to becoming a nation wide requirement. It is best to getthe training now. You'll be a lot more employable if anything. Being safe is the key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Murrieta, California

75 months ago

Jayson K in Billings, Montana said: I have 15 Years exp. in heavy ind. construction 10 of those years running cranes, but I still coundn't get hired in most states without CCO. If you decide to go to school, Towercrane School of Phoenix is a great one. I learned more about crane operating in one week than in the previous 10 years of EXPERIENCE.

really , well their school is great and inexpensive for tower , they get you to a point to pass, and employers really dont look @ 60 hrs as much ? this i know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Murrieta, California

75 months ago

save your money and take a rigin class and have the company prep and pay for cco, tower is different due to less variables involved . likely with mobile you will only get a riggin job anyway being just cert. and new to crane

also the school should have a teacher that knows how to teach not just a guy with years of experience chargeing you for basics and low hrs to pass a test.

cco has not givin me a job and i spent 3 months talkin with every company i could find maybe in u.s. , you spend most of your time learning how to just get through the course , not actually real operating scenerios. it gets you to pass thats really all . scammers in a sense they hype their courses , they hype themselves they turn on ya if you have qeustions or are not understanding certain areas of the course ---- talk crap about their students or other so called schools down play and make excuses for themselves ----- beware !

you`ll pass , but now what ? thats a grip of cash to spend for that experience
i hope this is useful to new guys or old , i wish there was a way to get my money back , or get with a good paying co.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Sounds like you went to a rough school. YOU should have done your Homework on the school Before going there. Of course the school is going to teach you how to pass the test, otherwise, you would be wasting your money.

The school I went to did teach a lot of real world scenarios. But it wouldn't do much good to spend money on a riggins course if you want to get inside the crane. Yes, rigging is important, but you will learn that on the job. The thing is, you can't even gt inside the crane ifyou aren't CCO Certified in a lot of states and soon, it will be nation wide. So, you muight as well get it now.

Of course you will more than likely start on a rigging crew. The company wants to make sure you will show up on time as well as learn and know how to propperly rig the load. After all, the operator is responsible for everything.

As far as spending 3 months looking for a job, it is slow all over. So, it depends on where you are living.

I am in the process of getting my CDL A so I can drive the cranes to the job site. Every one should do the same as you are more marketable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Annapolis, Maryland

75 months ago

jeremiah in Phoenix, Arizona said: YOU should have done your Homework on the school Before going there.

As far as spending 3 months looking for a job, it is slow all over. So, it depends on where you are living.

I'm planning on getting out of trucking because it's "slow all over" in trucking. I was wondering how slow is it out west. Where are crane jobs usually listed? Monster and the normal places don't seem to have much.

What homework would you do on a school you're about to check out???

Wayne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Construction is slow around here. But most of the crane jobs I have interviewd for or see listed on line have required a CDL. I am currently enrolled in class to get my CDL and am goin on weekends. I have found more job openings in the CDL-A area than crane operators. There is a shortage of CDL-A drivers all over the place.

As far as where to look, I have seen a lot of jobs in Colorado and the midwestern states. The only thing is, I don't have the money to move, plus my girlfriend has a job here that pays quite well. So we're not moving right now.

Look on career builder . com as well as www.getheavyequipmentoperatorjobs.com/state/heavy-equipment-operator-jobs-Georgia.html

There are a lot of jobs listed there.

Or just google crane operator jobs in your state/area.

As far as researching the school, I looked at how they were rated by the B.B.B. as well as the local area where they are located. I went to nahets . com. They have a few schools across the nation to chose from. It was a great school and I learned how to operate every major piece of heavy equipment as well as cranes. It only took me 3 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WayneW in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

jeremiah in Phoenix, Arizona said: There is a shortage of CDL-A drivers all over the place.

You mean a shortage of crane operators with CDL-A? Because regular CDL / truck drivers, there is no shortage of truckers right now.

The school in Vegas is a NAHETS school and has heavy equipment separate from cranes. The crane class is six weeks.

Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

WayneW in Las Vegas, Nevada said: You mean a shortage of crane operators with CDL-A? Because regular CDL / truck drivers, there is no shortage of truckers right now.

The school in Vegas is a NAHETS school and has heavy equipment separate from cranes. The crane class is six weeks.

Thanks for the info.

Dude, I'm going through the class and looking at all of the news papers as well as the employment web pages and there are hundreds of ads looking for CDL-A drivers.

But yes, I went through the NAHETS in Vegas. When I went through, the crane class was only 3 weeks. I think they added a rigging class for an aditional 3 weeks. But it's only to get more money out of you. You can honestly learn how to do basic rigging in a week, maybe a week and a half. The rest you'll learn on the job. They taught us rigging in like four days, honestly.

They were talking about adding the tower crane class when I was graduating. In fact, they asked us weather we would pay twice as much for three more weeks of rigging or tower crane certification. Obviously, we all chose tower crane certs.

They will try to get you to go through the level one heavy equipment operator class just to be able to go to crane class. But you don't have to. Again, it's the recruiters trying to get more money out of you, which is better for them. Even though it is a great school and you learn a lot more than just how to move the equipment around the yard.

They actually teach you how to read grade and blue prints and a lot more useful information. But this forum is for cranes. They did teach a lot about real world crane operations instead of just teaching how to pass the two tests. So, this is why I say it is a great school to go to. WEll worth the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WayneW in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

I'm serious, don't be dupped by the hype of trucking recruiters. Trucking is seriously slow. I'm looking to get out of trucking. email me direct and I'll give you more info and places to look.

<Edited by Host: contact info removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon McRae in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

74 months ago

I was told to go through the Denver Crane Union by me ex who is a Tower Crane operator, he said they would hook me up, and it would only cost me 1,000. Is this the way to go?

Any kind of help or direction would be awesome. Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon McRae in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

74 months ago

I have no experience, I already have debt from a 4-year degree and really do not want to pay for more schooling. Is there any companies out there welling to hirer you and give you an apprenticeship on Tower Cranes? Or am I going to have to go back to school?
I would love to learn how to run a Tower Crane, I get that it is going to be hard work at first, but it just seems like an awesome job, and something I would enjoy doing and be good at. I also am a female, is it harder for females to get into this line of work compared to men?

I was told to go through the Denver Crane Union by me ex who is a Tower Crane operator, he said they would hook me up, and it would only cost me 1,000. Is this the way to go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon McRae in Denver,Co, Colorado

74 months ago

I have no experience; I already have debt from a 4-year degree and really do not want to pay for more schooling. Is there any companies out there welling to hirer you and give you an apprenticeship on Tower Cranes? Or am I going to have to go back to school?
I would love to learn how to run a Tower Crane, I get that it is going to be hard work at first, but it just seems like an awesome job, and something I would enjoy doing and be good at. I also am a female, is it harder for females to get into this line of work compared to men?

74 months ago

There's one thing you have to think about when limiting yourself to tower cranes. You have to move where the work is. If you get your CCO certs on all the different types of cranes, then you aren't limited to only one type of crane.

But you can always get the name and number of the company off of the sides of the cranes and call them and ask directly if they have any sort of apprentiship program where you start out as a rigger and then they pay for your schooling. As stated before, CCO cert's are going to be required by all of the states pretty soon any way. So if you ilve in an area that requires CCO CErts you'll need to get that before you even get in the cab of the crane.

BTW, tower cranes only pay on average about $1-2 more per hour than the other cranes.

As far as being a woman, it shouldn't make it any harder. It might make it al ittle easier to get hired as everyone has to abide by the totaly uncalled for "Affermative Action" rules.

74 months ago

Thanks so much for all of the great information.

I am looking at going to the Tower Crane Shchool of Phoeniz, is this a good school? Or would you skip school and just call the names on the cranes?

Thanks Shannon.

74 months ago

Jayson K in Billings, Montana said: I have 15 Years exp. in heavy ind. construction 10 of those years running cranes, but I still coundn't get hired in most states without CCO. If you decide to go to school, Towercrane School of Phoenix is a great one. I learned more about crane operating in one week than in the previous 10 years of EXPERIENCE.

I am thinking about going to the Tower Crane School of Phoenix, can you tell me more about this school. I have been looking at schools, and this one comes across to me as a really good one. Do they try and hook you up after you go to this school with connections or a job? Any advice on how to get into this line of work would be nice.
Thanks Shannon

74 months ago

As for the school it's self, I looked into it for myself. They are a reputable school to say the least. As far as job placement, it's like any other school where they look on the internet and give you leads. It's up to you to go out and actually get the job.

74 months ago

Shannon McRae in Denver,Co, Colorado said: Thanks so much for all of the great information.

I am looking at going to the Tower Crane Shchool of Phoeniz, is this a good school? Or would you skip school and just call the names on the cranes?

Thanks Shannon.

You still need the training and Certicifaction from CCO in order to get a job as an operator.

Let me ask you a few questions. Are you good with math? Do you have good dexterity? Do you like to travel?

mike in Bountiful, Utah

74 months ago

what is the name of the school in vegas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I am not sure what the name to the school in Vegas is, but the one in AZ is Tower Crane School of Phoenix.

Bert in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

74 months ago

Congrats and good luck with your endeavor.

Much regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com
www.selfhelpgrowing.com

74 months ago

Thanks....

74 months ago

mike in Bountiful, Utah said: what is the name of the school in vegas

The school in Vegas is the one I attended. It is called Nevada School of Construction. They are a part of the NAHETS organization which has several schools nation wide, so they know what they are doing.

Tell them that Jeremiah sent you there.

Jeff in Aledo, Texas

70 months ago

tyler in Georgetown, Texas said: what does everyone think about going to crane school? i just turned 24 years old and am currently an erosion control foreman, which is kind of a dead end job. i am fluent in spanish from the last year and a half working construction with no one who speaks any english, i am currently making around 55k a year, but for the amount of work i do, it seems like i should be making more money. i am simply trying to figure out the fastest way to advance in construction and make the most money that i can while i am in great health. i have $36000 from the army in the montgomery gi bill and would really like to use that to go to either heavy equipment operator school or crane school. in your opinion, do you think that either of these schools would benefit me? would employers acually hire and pay well for someone who is certified in these types of equipment or would they rather teach someone who is already employed but not certified so they can pay them 13 or 14 dollars an hour? any thoughts would be appreciated.

go to school and get your cco. thats what i did. most states require that you are a certified crane operator. and soon all states will most likely require it. Just pay the tuition to go to school trust me it will be much better in the end because you will be making lots more than the school cost. i just graduated from oklahoma college of const. took my cco exam friday and am waiting on the results. good luck to you with which ever path u choose.

micky holt in westminster, Maryland

70 months ago

JJ in Union City, Tennessee said: You can achieve you're goal without going to school. We already know that employers want experience, There is nothing better than letting a company train you, that way they see you're progress and along with you're progress will come better money.I started out with a big crane company making 12 an hour and in only three years now make 22.50. plus you gain the knowledge and experience of other operators.On the job training you achieve you're goal without the added bill. Good luck

Spot on! IMO try your local IUOE as an apprentice. If accepted, and if lucky, you'll become an oiler for a rental crane company. You should learn how to walk before you can run... so to speak.

There is work out there, even as the stock market falls, alot of uncertainy, but don't give up your dream to make a quick buck. IMO these schools that have popped up, are not going to help you. But they will be glad to take your money, and tell you what you want to hear.

Go talk to some current op.'s on cranes, ask them how they did it. Talk to a foreman of a crane company, talk to your local IUOE, it can't hurt.

Good luck.

Calvin in Aberdeen, Washington

60 months ago

the easy way to do this is leave your rite to work state, and join the operating engineers union as an apprentice. Apprentices in washington start at about twenty bucks an hour. Your school will be free you start as an oiler and learn your trade from an experienced journyman operator with thousands of hours of experience.

Dan in Mossyrock, Washington

57 months ago

the crane school in seattle lasts three days and costs 18oo dollors they promise you will pass the cert. test

Dan in Mossyrock, Washington

57 months ago

I am forty-five years old and just lost my job of 20 years. I,m starting over i have my c.d.l. already. will a co. let you run a crane just because your cert. even though you dont have real exp.?

cal in Aberdeen, Washington

57 months ago

Dan in Mossyrock, Washington said: I am forty-five years old and just lost my job of 20 years. I,m starting over i have my c.d.l. already. will a co. let you run a crane just because your cert. even though you dont have real exp.?

Do you realy think you sould be running a crane with three days experiance? Its a very high profile job , not to mention extreamly dangerous. Peoples lives are litteraly in your hands. You can be found criminaly negligent if you hurt somone because of your judgement. I seriously doubt if any one would hire some one who completed a three day class to run a crane. The best thing to do is attend a real crane school or join the union of operating engineers as I mentioned before. Training and experiance will make shure your not the next guy sitting in a twisted pile of steel on the evening news.

Jeremy O in Dallas, Texas

57 months ago

Has anyone ever heard of or attended Associated Training Services (ATS)? How did it work out for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Findlay, Ohio

39 months ago

TOWER CRANES IS VERY HARD TO FIND EMPLOYMENT IN RIGHT NOW - I AM NCCO CERTIFIED AND I WAS THE TOWER CRANE OPERATOR THAT HELP BUILD THE TREEMONT IN CHARLOTTE NC AND I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AT 7.40 AN HR. I WOULD SUGGEST HEAVY EQUIPMENT SCHOOL - GROUND EQUIPMENT IS IN MUCH HIGHER DEMAND - THIS RECESSION HAS BEEN VERY HARD ON MY FAMILY- I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!!!

Stephen in Portland, Oregon

34 months ago

Don't do it. I have a degree in statistics, an associates degree in engineering, six-sigma certified, and my tower crane CCO. That CCO pigeon-holed me forever as a crane operator. A crane operator goes where the job is, and I will bet it isn't anywhere near paradise. Even if it is, you will work massive hours anyway, IF you get a job. Again, don't do it. Think of something else. I can hear it in your voice that you will be able to do it, but it isn't for you. You can make a lot of money when you work, but you will always be sweating the next job wondering if it exists. And if you have a wife or want one, you better think twice. That is my experience, and I was guaranteed at least 40 hours where I worked until I had to throw in the towel after 4 years.

I know to say "Don't do it" is drastic, but you need to get someone to shoot you straight. I imagine I have invited myself to major ridicule.

brian in Casper, Wyoming

32 months ago

my question is in to regards to the ats school in wisconsin. is there repersenation very accurate? more so there job placement. i am a heavy equipment operator i run dozers scrapers track hoes anything yellow and have been doing so for ten years i have lots of work. me and my wife like in a fifth wheel and i work for a traveling company. ten years in a scraper has really started taking a toll on my body and i would like to get my crane cert. and go to work we do not want to stop traveling. any advice would be really appericated thanks sorry about the spelling.

Leggo

32 months ago

I attended the school in OKC in 2007, personally I'd say don't waste ur time. But then I'd be a hypocrit as I type this 5 years later from the cab of a crane. Its no short answer, whether or not its worth it. The instructors at okc were experienced, just not at running cranes as I know them. That guy forrest was a lift specialist, not an operator! Yes, he kneew his business....rigging. The other instructor had absolutely NO experience with cranes AT ALL. When he was unable to help me due to his lack o knowledge, I decided to drop out b4 the course was completed. A fight insued between me, the schooln and , and NCCCO in florida. It resulted with the school becoming a closed testing site, which is the schools option, but not b4 being REQUIRED to allow me to test. The were unbelievably pissed, but I passed. So they not only had to award my certs but also decided to graduate me from the full course AND give me my NCCER certs for crand AND rigging. I'm sure the latter was because it statistacly bettered the school I.e. Higher grad ratio. While the battle drew out over a week, I went and took my cdl clss a, rented a truck a got my license. With a pocketfull of certs and licenses, I went forth in search of work. I was the only CCO certified operator at my first job, but I was an oilfield swamper(rigger). I took my lumps for the agreed 6 months and left the day after it expired when I wasn't promoted. The co boss asked if I really thot I could move a drilling rig that day. I said no, not yet, but another f months on the ground won't help me reach that goal either. They promoted another guy. He wrecked the crane 2 months later. He had, suposedly, 10 years of crane expeience on the ground and in cab. But not the knowledge to properly account for the situation and load counterweights accordingly. Its just too complex too say if its worth it or not. U have to decide individually whether u want big money NOW or Later. U wana travel or stay? I could give u more details of + or -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

deandre in Freeport, Bahamas

32 months ago

mattprice in Johnson City, Tennessee said: hey man go to crane school and get out and get your foot in the door, they may want experience but your not gonna get it lettin some has been talk you out of it!

how cud i start this program

Joe in Cabot, Arkansas

27 months ago

I am thinking about opening an operator training program in central Arkansas, and was wondering about the interest in such programs.

cosmo in Lake Jackson, Texas

27 months ago

the best way to learn to run a crane in my opinon is to rig first for at least 4 years but that is just my thoughts on the issue.i connected steel for 6 years and rigged for 6 more before i got in the seat so i know first hand what the guys on the ground or air are going through.I have worked with operators that never rigged and they seem to let little stuff upset them. I just quit a job where they gave me an old women rigger she couldn't even move anymore she kept making mistakes like sending a 50ft. monorail beam in backwareds the guys had to bullrig it in once the crane couldnt get it in no farther. when they tried to bolt it up that's when they relized it was backwared so then they had to pull it back out and spin it around and back in, but the women had her certifications that said she was a rigger. I quit cause i didnt want to be the one to hurt her if a beam flipped the wrong way and she didnt move in time. i asked the boss to put her somewhere else, he said they couldnt so i left.

Stephen in Little Rock, Arkansas

26 months ago

Joe in Cabot, Arkansas said: I am thinking about opening an operator training program in central Arkansas, and was wondering about the interest in such programs.

Joe, I'm in Little Rock, AR and am interested. I'm just trying to figure out what the job market is like.

Nathan Willmore in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

I went to ATS..NOT worth it! its 6 grand and they suck!
You are better off joining the Union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big Mike in Pasadena, Texas

16 months ago

Nathan Willmore in Denver, Colorado said: I went to ATS..NOT worth it! its 6 grand and they suck!
You are better off joining the Union.

I'm considering ATS Crane1/2, Rigger, and CDL-A all in one 10 week class. Why do you say they suck? I've been having an issue with one of the staff already about job placement references but their training program seems better than anyone else, at least on paper? Please elaborate on what makes them suck!

Thanx
Mike

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.