unsafe operator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

crane guy in Cheyenne, Wyoming

80 months ago

I have to tell everyone that I am kind of stumped. I hired on with a company that preached nothing but safety to me at my job interview, but when I started it quickly became evident to me that safety is the very last priority. They have ancient equipment, which in itself is not all bad, but when you add that with the fact that when one of these dinosaurs breaks down, they make the mechanic duct tape it back together, and put it back to work. Our mechanic knows this is wrong, but fears for his job. They do this time and time again. We just got a 70 ton linkbelt. It's a 2000 model. The computer is fried. That wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that everything goes through that computer. It has no angle indicator, no boom length indicator, and no anti 2 block. Our other operator, keeps putting this crane out on jobs. He has already 2 blocked it twice, one of which ripped the rooster sheave clean off. He has stood it up on 2 outriggers numerous times, and when I say anything to him, I get a bunch of attitude. When I think about it, this guy is responsible for pretty much our entire fleet being in complete disrepair. He caught the engine on fire on our 218 linkbelt, this was not all his fault, but he said that it was not running right, and he still continued to run it, he made a 40,000 lb pick in 50 mph wind with our 165 ton which resulted in severe side load, and a bent extension cylinder, all he could say about it is that he couldn't believe that it wouldn't telescope back in. He is suposedly on his last leg with this company, and I have been told that the only reason he is still here is because he is a good guy. The old school mentality has to go away. Guys like that make it hard to do things the right way. I am also sick of being made the idiot when I mention how to do things right. Sorry for the rant, but I am having problems with this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida

80 months ago

That's not old school, It'supidity. If you are relying on that computer to tell you your job, you need to backup. It's not that hard to install or rig up an angle indicator and you should have a chart in the crane. As far as two blocking is concerned it sounds like that operator(and I use that word lightly) isn,t paying attention. Us " Old School" were taught to use the equipment to it's fullest capibilities. We were taught to take care of our equipment, to know it. We didn't have the luxury of the computer to aid us. I've work for a cheap crane rental out fit before I know about running junk. Help the mechanic get your crane right and He'll always go that extra step to make sure your's is running the best possible. If the company won't be safe, YOU need to be/ Your Butt's on the line. Don't rely on that box, Learn your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: That's not old school, It'supidity. If you are relying on that computer to tell you your job, you need to backup. It's not that hard to install or rig up an angle indicator and you should have a chart in the crane. As far as two blocking is concerned it sounds like that operator(and I use that word lightly) isn,t paying attention. Us " Old School" were taught to use the equipment to it's fullest capibilities. We were taught to take care of our equipment, to know it. We didn't have the luxury of the computer to aid us. I've work for a cheap crane rental out fit before I know about running junk. Help the mechanic get your crane right and He'll always go that extra step to make sure your's is running the best possible. If the company won't be safe, YOU need to be/ Your Butt's on the line. Don't rely on that box, Learn your job.

I never said anything about relying on the box. If they would put an angle indicator on it I would have no problems operating the crane. I operate all our other cranes without computers. Does operating to the fullest capabilities include standing the crane up on 2 outriggers. I don't think so. Like you said that's stupidity. You are absolutely right in that it's my ass on the line. I know what I need to do even if I lose my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

williamsimms in Spring Hill, Florida

80 months ago

Turn these assholed into the OCC before they kill someone or half the workmen
on the job.
This idiocy is exactly whats wrong with corporate america. Irresponsible, stupid and greedy idiots!
Someone will have to be killed before this problem is corrected or the senior
management team is fired.
Good luck, stay safe and do what is right in your mind.
Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida

80 months ago

No. Fullest capacity does not mean 2 outriggers. Learn your charts and load calculations( how to figure what something weighs).Don't rely on the box. If the crane is overloaded, then structural integrity is compromised. The crane rental outfits have always been... Maxium pick = Minimum crane ... and I don't think it going to change any time soon. Anti-2 blocks are only required if you have a man basket on the hook or the costumer requires it. There once was a time when there were no computers or kick outs, and the jobs still got done. Yes there were unsafe "old school" operators. I'm not saying that you are an unsafe operator, it's just your comments made it sound that you needed the computer to indicate the fundementals. That's where I'm coming from. Is your boss a former operator? If so he knows what the game is and if you're a confident/compident operator he'll stand behind you and your decisions. It' hard to find good operators. It sounds as if the company your working for has had a bunch of lever pullers and I'm not putting you in that class. Be the professional and show management what a real " Operator " is. It does no good to turn names in, because unless they have a recordable accident nothing follows. Only word of mouth. I got 18 yrs seat time, 7yrs taxi work, no recordables. Proud to be Union.

cranehand in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

I am wondering if your company purchased the linkbelt 70 ton from the auction at Ritchie Bros in Colorado. If so, I know that crane well. No heat either?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

cranehand in Denver, Colorado said: I am wondering if your company purchased the linkbelt 70 ton from the auction at Ritchie Bros in Colorado. If so, I know that crane well. No heat either?

Close!!! It was bought at richie brothers in chicago. It came from imperial crane. It has no heat, the side and front window got broke out because the guy that keeps two blocking it just can't get it through his head that he needs to pay attention. Luckally I was given the go ahead to replace the windows. We had to replace the computer as well, and the other operator got pissed at me for taking the time to teach our mechanic how it worked. That other operator still overrides the computer because he cannot figure it out. He says that he likes running things old school, so now I have just given in to knowing that he will one day be in the news for tipping the best crane we got over.

Quizmo in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Both ANSI and OSHA regulations require that all cranes must be equipped with anti 2 block,and many other safety features. It is also illegal to operate a crane with cracked windows in the operators cab. That time to know the Federal Regs reguarding cranes and your responsibility as an operator. Ignorance is no excuse when OSHA comes calling.

manitowoc in Cleveland, New York

78 months ago

the worst part isn't that he'll someday tip it over it is that he will fatigue it and it will fail on YOU thats the worst part!!!!!!!

kenny kiff in New Iberia, Louisiana

78 months ago

crane guy in Cheyenne, Wyoming said: I have to tell everyone that I am kind of stumped. I hired on with a company that preached nothing but safety to me at my job interview, but when I started it quickly became evident to me that safety is the very last priority. They have ancient equipment, which in itself is not all bad, but when you add that with the fact that when one of these dinosaurs breaks down, they make the mechanic duct tape it back together, and put it back to work. Our mechanic knows this is wrong, but fears for his job. They do this time and time again. We just got a 70 ton linkbelt. It's a 2000 model. The computer is fried. That wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that everything goes through that computer. It has no angle indicator, no boom length indicator, and no anti 2 block. Our other operator, keeps putting this crane out on jobs. He has already 2 blocked it twice, one of which ripped the rooster sheave clean off. He has stood it up on 2 outriggers numerous times, and when I say anything to him, I get a bunch of attitude. When I think about it, this guy is responsible for pretty much our entire fleet being in complete disrepair. He caught the engine on fire on our 218 linkbelt, this was not all his fault, but he said that it was not running right, and he still continued to run it, he made a 40,000 lb pick in 50 mph wind with our 165 ton which resulted in severe side load, and a bent extension cylinder, all he could say about it is that he couldn't believe that it wouldn't telescope back in. He is suposedly on his last leg with this company, and I have been told that the only reason he is still here is because he is a good guy. The old school mentality has to go away. Guys like that make it hard to do things the right way. I am also sick of being made the idiot when I mention how to do things right. Sorry for the rant, but I am having problems with this. Does anyone have any suggestions?[/QUOTE

78 months ago

if i was you i would just keep on doing what your doing sooner or later someone is going to have to open there eyes and see.i'm a old school oper. myself but had to change my old ways with the times or i wouldn't have a job. we work alot with b.p.,chevron,shell an they are really into saftey so ppl got to do what they gotta do. but just keep doing what you do in the end you'll more than likely be the man not him..........

JOHN in Van Nuys, California

77 months ago

crane guy in Cheyenne, Wyoming said: I have to tell everyone that I am kind of stumped. I hired on with a company that preached nothing but safety to me at my job interview, but when I started it quickly became evident to me that safety is the very last priority. They have ancient equipment, which in itself is not all bad, but when you add that with the fact that when one of these dinosaurs breaks down, they make the mechanic duct tape it back together, and put it back to work. Our mechanic knows this is wrong, but fears for his job. They do this time and time again. We just got a 70 ton linkbelt. It's a 2000 model. The computer is fried. That wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that everything goes through that computer. It has no angle indicator, no boom length indicator, and no anti 2 block. Our other operator, keeps putting this crane out on jobs. He has already 2 blocked it twice, one of which ripped the rooster sheave clean off. He has stood it up on 2 outriggers numerous times, and when I say anything to him, I get a bunch of attitude. When I think about it, this guy is responsible for pretty much our entire fleet being in complete disrepair. He caught the engine on fire on our 218 linkbelt, this was not all his fault, but he said that it was not running right, and he still continued to run it, he made a 40,000 lb pick in 50 mph wind with our 165 ton which resulted in severe side load, and a bent extension cylinder, all he could say about it is that he couldn't believe that it wouldn't telescope back in. He is suposedly on his last leg with this company, and I have been told that the only reason he is still here is because he is a good guy. The old school mentality has to go away. Guys like that make it hard to do things the right way. I am also sick of being made the idiot when I mention how to do things right. Sorry for the rant, but I am having problems with this. Does anyone have any .Yes; Call in the local inspector;

JOHN in Van Nuys, California

77 months ago

Call your Inspector have all that equipment inspected and dont be afraid to point out the big problems.I can assure you that thing will be written up and it wont be your fault.If that CO. dosnt Want their stuff red tagged then they will start to get the picture take it from one inspector I know what the hell these peaple are trying to do and all its doing is f--king up The last legitamite profession left out there.Dont forget to whisper in the inspectors ear on the situation.That will work just fine.Be A real pro. You owe it to yourself and the rest of the profession.

XMAN in Bonham, Texas

77 months ago

SOUNDS MORE LIKE YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE LMI WITCH IS NOT THE CPU, LMI IS JUST AN AID AND NOT TO BE SUBSTATUTED FOR THE LOAD CHARTS. AS FAR AS 2 BLOCKING NOW DAYS CRANES HAVE LOCKOUT, BUT DEPENDS ON THE AGE OF CRANE. IT COULD JUST HAVE AUDIBLE.

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: That's not old school, It'supidity. If you are relying on that computer to tell you your job, you need to backup. It's not that hard to install or rig up an angle indicator and you should have a chart in the crane. As far as two blocking is concerned it sounds like that operator(and I use that word lightly) isn,t paying attention. Us " Old School" were taught to use the equipment to it's fullest capibilities. We were taught to take care of our equipment, to know it. We didn't have the luxury of the computer to aid us. I've work for a cheap crane rental out fit before I know about running junk. Help the mechanic get your crane right and He'll always go that extra step to make sure your's is running the best possible. If the company won't be safe, YOU need to be/ Your Butt's on the line. Don't rely on that box, Learn your job.

77 months ago

thats for sure!!!!!!!i can remeber when we didn't even A2B's. you got to know your crane if not learn it as fast as you can and CHECK EVERTHING,2 times.it might take a work but in the long run you'll come out on top.plus you can learn more about cranes all the wat around.i use to build rental cranes on offshore platforms we would do a annual befor it got out the yard,when we finshed putting it togather,and when it got back to the yard,just to fix things that might have gone wrong on the job.i hate to put this out there but sometimes we tie the A2B up to hae more boom,if they don't have a overide.alot of cranes offshore don't because of ppl not looking at what there doing or just don't freakig know wha there doing,and they sure got alot of that going on these days........................

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.