Cytology Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2301 to 2350 of 2550)
Page:  « First « Previous   44  45  46  47  48  49  50  Next »   Last »

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida

27 months ago

I really hope that legislation is blocked in NY. With health care costs skyrocketing, it would be a major step backward to allow more self referral. We need to be doing the opposite and fighting physicians owning surgery centers, labs, radiology. We could probably make a significant dent in health care costs if we took the waste out. And it wouldn't harm anyone except the physician's wallet. Unfortunantly these physicians are gonna cause changes in the system that will harm people since they dont wanna lose the money they are making off of self referral. They are gonna cause significant cuts and rationing of care. I wish the medical schools would teach these people some ethics.

Here is an awesome new blog set up by a pathologist that talks a lot about issues in health care. He has an article about a cytotech that was recently arrested on there too.

pathologyblawg.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

old story as per news article on cytotechnologist. those in power can rip-off large amounts of cash each month plus expenses,especially in the private labs. plus labs are developed and take off and after a number of years they are "crashed". the people in charge donot pay the bills and profits and money received are pushed elsewhere or corporate loans are taken. then the company goes bottom up and its so many pennies on the dollar. everybody walks away and the employees are let go.

so power brokers in the field do exist and money is taken. its sad but it happens when alot of cash is produced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

old story as per news article on cytotechnologist. those in power can rip-off large amounts of cash each month plus expenses,especially in the private labs. plus labs are developed and take off and after a number of years they are "crashed". the people in charge donot pay the bills and profits and money received are pushed elsewhere or corporate loans are taken. then the company goes bottom up and its so many pennies on the dollar. everybody walks away and the employees are let go.

so power brokers in the field do exist and money is taken. its sad but it happens when alot of cash is produced.

S in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

any humor today

27 months ago

If you want humor, you should read the ASC listserv. Somebody posted a nasty email he received from an HPV researcher who is also works for ASCP. The two must be bitter rivals. I noticed today the researcher is trying to do damage control by saying his views dont represent those of the ASCP. Pretty funny but at the same time depressing stuff.

Cytology is in a pretty sad state when the leaders and other prominent people act like children all the time. Not sure how anyone can look at this field with any optimism. The little optimism I had left is about gone.

S in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

the optimism is,if you are in charge, is to develop and improve all areas of the lab to make a statement in your facility that your dept is on top of the game and to get the pathologist to be involved with all new technology. as for non supervisors,meetings and extend your areas of study to laterally move in the lab if you need to. keep busy

and it is hard to get up each day to come to work and deal with a negative and non-productive administration that puts walls.uncooperative people and meatheads in front of your face everyday. but smile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Well said. I've always made sure to be on top of my game and try to keep moving forward as things change. But like I have said before cytology is viewed by administrators as the red-headed step child at most places. Too many times I have worked in labs that didnt even have a supervisor in the department whereas the other areas did have one. Instead the "lead" cytotech is given supervisor responsibility or worse yet the histology supervisor is in charge. Its one reason why I think its gonna be very difficult for cytotechs to move laterally in the lab or branch out into new technology. If you dont even have a voice at the table, you will be overlooked. Without a real leader fighting to bring new testing to your area, you are screwed.

S in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Well said. I've always made sure to be on top of my game and try to keep moving forward as things change. But like I have said before cytology is viewed by administrators as the red-headed step child at most places. Too many times I have worked in labs that didnt even have a supervisor in the department whereas the other areas did have one. Instead the "lead" cytotech is given supervisor responsibility or worse yet the histology supervisor is in charge. Its one reason why I think its gonna be very difficult for cytotechs to move laterally in the lab or branch out into new technology. If you dont even have a voice at the table, you will be overlooked. Without a real leader fighting to bring new testing to your area, you are screwed.

in order to move laterally you must upgrade. to move into histology you must get ASCP in histology,to move into immunology ,you must have an MTASCP or clinical laboratory technologist classification. many individuals have this and others can obtain. you must push yourself. get off your A_S

S in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

IN REVIEW OF SOME OF THE LECTURERS THAT THE ASC HAS MONTHLY LETS LOOK AT THIS ONE :ASC CYTO CONFERENCE ,DUE TO THE SHORTAGE IN CYTOLOGY" MARKEDLY INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY WITH IMAGE ASSISTED SCREENING,WITH NOT NECESSARILY INCREASED SENSITIVITY BECAME AN ATTRACTIVE OPTION FOR MANY LABS.

THIS DOCTOR FORGOT,"ON THE BACKS OF THE CYTOTECHNOLOGISTS" THE PROBLEMS WITH THE IMAGER FALLS ON THE HEADS OF THE CYTOTECHS BUT WHO CARES. WE HAVE SHORTAGES BUT IN TRUTH THE BUMS FORCED THE VOLUME OF CYTOTECHS TO GO ELSEWHERE,RETIRE,CHANGE FIELDS AND JUST GIVE UP. IS THIS ASC CRAZY IN THEIR SUPPORT OF DOCTORS WHO ADMIT TO WHAT EVERYONE HAS KNOWN AND HAS FOUGHT AND COMPLAINED TO AGENCIES AND REPORTED ON MANY SITES. "bring back thalidomide" WHERE IS THE CONTINUED RESEARCH BY HOLOGIC OR THEY JUST WANT TO PUSH WHAT THEY HAVE BECAUSE "IT CANT GET BETTER" OR JUST MAKE IT AUTOMATIC SELF GUIDED PLUS GIVE ANSWERS TO THE SAMPLES,"ABNORMALITY". LETS HAVE DOCUMENTATION NOT FROM THE TECH BUT FROM THE ANALYZER. THE TECH SHOULD ONLY BE THE REVIEWER OF THE PICK-UP. DO YOU THINK THEY WILL IMPROVE? N0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

26 months ago

I saw that statement by that doctor. At least he acknowledges there is a problem and he wrote one of the only articles I have seen about the issue. His former lab did a study on imager productivity and now "experts" think the limits should be lowered to 70 cases in 7 hours and they even offered ways to calculate the number of cases that should get full manual review. The 200 cases in 8 hour number I believe was prorated since I dont recall seeing any data showing techs hitting that number in their studies. It will be years, if at all, before any action is taken. Who knows what the field will look like after the smoke clears from the new pap test guidelines. Probably will be a very stagnant market for a long time.

Hologic sales thinprep supplies to the giant corporate labs for low cost so the imager was a good way recoup a little more money out of the sweatshops. Im amazed that insurance agreed to pay more for this technology. Insurance companies dont seem like the biggest enemy in health care to me. There is plenty of blame to go around for the mess.

I doubt many improvements will be made with image guided morphology screening. With the pap test market declining, there isnt much insentive. Higher CIN2 and 3 specificity hpv tests or a point of care device are where most research will be going. The acquistion of Gen-Probe pretty much showed where Hologic thinks the future is.

S in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: I saw that statement by that doctor. At least he acknowledges there is a problem and he wrote one of the only articles I have seen about the issue. His former lab did a study on imager productivity and now "experts" think the limits should be lowered to 70 cases in 7 hours and they even offered ways to calculate the number of cases that should get full manual review. The 200 cases in 8 hour number I believe was prorated since I dont recall seeing any data showing techs hitting that number in their studies. It will be years, if at all, before any action is taken. Who knows what the field will look like after the smoke clears from the new pap test guidelines. Probably will be a very stagnant market for a long time.

Hologic sales thinprep supplies to the giant corporate labs for low cost so the imager was a good way recoup a little more money out of the sweatshops. Im amazed that insurance agreed to pay more for this technology. Insurance companies dont seem like the biggest enemy in health care to me. There is plenty of blame to go around for the mess.

I doubt many improvements will be made with image guided morphology screening. With the pap test market declining, there isnt much insentive. Higher CIN2 and 3 specificity hpv tests or a point of care device are where most research will be going. The acquistion of Gen-Probe pretty much showed where Hologic thinks the future is.

future, i think cover up of poor technology that they thought would be superior. no research and development,cheaper to buy the better technology

26 months ago

I still dont know if the technology is bad or if it ist just being abused leading to mistakes. That loony guy that used to post here, under multiple names, kept repeating that the machine missed koilocytes. Is missing the occasional CIN1 even a big deal? How's it do for CIN2 and 3? since that is the threshold for treatment

It's a pretty sad time for Hologic right now. I guess they just laid off quite a few people. Must be a result of the buyout of Gen-probe. We lost our sales rep in the area to layoff. Probably will be replaced with some gen-probe rep that knows very little about cytology.

Kim in Long Beach, California

23 months ago

Looks like I picked the wrong field to try to venture into.

I am currently taking my preclinical courses and about to apply for the Clinical Internship in the spring. Would any of you experienced Cytotechs not recommend this?

It seems like it would be a whole year down the drain for a dying field if that doesn't offer much. I'd appreciate any form of advice here. I've been struggling with the decision to continue or to return to work in the Biotech industry.

Thanks so much all

23 months ago

Very few people in the field would recommend it. Many jobs have been lost in the last 7 years due to automation. Now there are new Pap test guidelines that call for a lot less Pap testing (only every 3 to 5 years). Sadly, Cervical cancer screening is still 90+ percent of the field. Jobs that dont screen paps are uncommon. So if the new guidelines are followed, there will be even more people out of work. Our organizations keep telling cytotechs to learn Molecular with the hopes that they might find work doing that testing as the jobs looking at slides disappear. But those tests are niche at this point and others within the lab can do them.

If all that wasnt bad enough, the government is slashing reimbursement for the work done in pathology labs. Last week they cut biopsy payment 50% and other tests are scheduled to be slashed for 2014. This is likely gonna lead to even more consolidation in the industry and less anatomic path labs to work at. To even stay in business, you will have to have massive economy of scale to survive these cuts that are coming.

ghostsafe in Vancouver, British Columbia

23 months ago

Kim in Long Beach, California said: Looks like I picked the wrong field to try to venture into.

I am currently taking my preclinical courses and about to apply for the Clinical Internship in the spring. Would any of you experienced Cytotechs not recommend this?

It seems like it would be a whole year down the drain for a dying field if that doesn't offer much. I'd appreciate any form of advice here. I've been struggling with the decision to continue or to return to work in the Biotech industry.

Thanks so much all

Hi Kim,
I'm a cytotech with 20+ years of experience in Vancouver, Canada. My advice to you is cut your losses and run. Sorry to say that it's a dead end field. The only reason that I am still doing the work is that I figure I can squeeze another 5 years out of my job and then I should be able to retire. I'm in a union and have decent seniority. You're from the States and from what I have read the employment situation down there is a lot worse than up here in Canada. The quicker you get into a new field or back into the growing field of Biotech the better for you.
Good luck!

cyto1970 in Iowa

21 months ago

Hello S. I'm not sure if you are still around this forum but thought I would try. I have been a cytotech for 10 years, and am considering going back to school for MLS. I am looking for any advice you can give about switching to this career. It seems as if there are abundant med tech jobs everywhere, and I crave the variety of working as a generalist. I would appreciate your insight since you have been through both programs. Thanks!

CLIA 88 Is Trashed in Columbus, Ohio

12 months ago

Did someone here once say the HPV test was a farce ? There are many who feel the same . Techs are telling me nationwide that pap volumes are dropping and HPV numbers are in cruizematic .

12 months ago

Remember when you created all those fake people on this forum trashing the imager, FDA? Anne marie from san fran, airborn_army from buffalo and MANY others. That was different to say the least. If you want credibility and to be taken seriously, act normal.

12 months ago

CLIA 88 Is Trashed in Columbus, Ohio said: Did someone here once say the HPV test was a farce ? There are many who feel the same . Techs are telling me nationwide that pap volumes are dropping and HPV numbers are in cruizematic .

Who told you pap volumes were dropping? Anne Marie from san fran? airborn army? The guy from linkedin who's profile you looked at?

Pap volumes are dropping. HPV volume will probably drop also as women leave the screening program. Co-testing is definitely having an effect on this field. Wish CMS would post the number of people taking the proficiency test each year. It's the most accurate way to see what is going on with the job market. I'd love to know how many techs are left. 5500 maybe?

DR.PAP SMEAR in Holden, Massachusetts

12 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Who told you pap volumes were dropping? Anne Marie from san fran? airborn army? The guy from linkedin who's profile you looked at?

Pap volumes are dropping. HPV volume will probably drop also as women leave the screening program. Co-testing is definitely having an effect on this field. Wish CMS would post the number of people taking the proficiency test each year. It's the most accurate way to see what is going on with the job market. I'd love to know how many techs are left. 5500 maybe?

HPV Testing is too expensive and time consuming..Those labs that want the HPV result printed on the pap report, hold up sign outs and if hpv gets delayed so does the pap sign out. The real story is that we have positive hpv with negative paps and positive paps often with negative hpv results. As you know who in our government says "what difference does it make?" Totally useless test..All the young people have hpv and the testing group don't need it if accurate pap screening is done! FORGET HPV..hopefully it will be a thing of the past as insurance companies will not pay for it under our new "wonderful" healthcare reform!

Dr. Pap smear Boston

CAcytotech in California

12 months ago

Just a little imput from the liberal land of fruits and nuts:

Our hospital lab has seen a 25-30% reduction in pap volume this year-- All owed to the new guidelines and the loss of accounts due to the glorious ObamaCare........Speaking of HPV testing, I alone (out of our 3 techs) have had 5 HPV negative HSILs and one HPV negative Squamous Cell Carcinoma just in the last 2 months.

The future of cytology is definitely at a crossroads, and it is taking the wrong turn down a dangerous, irresponsible road.

DR. PAP SMEAR in Boston, Massachusetts

12 months ago

Thank you Jesus..finally someone agrees with me!!!

12 months ago

I have heard rumors that GYN's are givin some form of compensation for HPV testing or The Imager , can anyone confirm that ?

I am sure they are done in such a way as to circumvent Anti-Kick Back and STARK statues .

This sort of thing goes on all the time in one form or another . The Columbus Dispatch exposed a perfectly legal scheme where Doctors are provided " speaker fees " . They end up buying more pharmaceuticals in the process .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

DR.PAP SMEAR in Holden, Massachusetts said: HPV Testing is too expensive and time consuming..Those labs that want the HPV result printed on the pap report, hold up sign outs and if hpv gets delayed so does the pap sign out. The real story is that we have positive hpv with negative paps and positive paps often with negative hpv results. As you know who in our government says "what difference does it make?" Totally useless test..All the young people have hpv and the testing group don't need it if accurate pap screening is done! FORGET HPV..hopefully it will be a thing of the past as insurance companies will not pay for it under our new "wonderful" healthcare reform!

Dr. Pap smear Boston

I think obamacare requires insurance companies to pay for HPV testing every 3 years. It's here to stay. I think a regular pap every year did a better job myself than all this expensive imaging, hpv testing etc.

Unfortuanantly many labs will be a thing of the past if the government gets away with the Medicare cuts for pathology they are proposing. There are 50-80 percent cuts for many common pathology codes. Good luck staying in business losing what little revenue pathology labs have left. Write your representatives ASAP.

12 months ago

Thanks for your agreement with a regular pap doing a better job every year! We will just have to sit back and let the cards fall where they may!

12 months ago

CAcytotech in California said: Just a little imput from the liberal land of fruits and nuts:

Our hospital lab has seen a 25-30% reduction in pap volume this year-- All owed to the new guidelines and the loss of accounts due to the glorious ObamaCare........Speaking of HPV testing, I alone (out of our 3 techs) have had 5 HPV negative HSILs and one HPV negative Squamous Cell Carcinoma just in the last 2 months.

The future of cytology is definitely at a crossroads, and it is taking the wrong turn down a dangerous, irresponsible road.

Dont you love how our organizations that "represent us" showed support for the new pap test guidelines? Meanwhile they want new regulations for imager workload. That makes NO SENSE. You are admitting there is a problem right now with workload but you are saying its ok to increase intervals between screening. Here's a crazy idea (this is for you ASC and others), get the regulations for workload changed first.

12 months ago

DR. PAP SMEAR in Boston, Massachusetts said: Thanks for your agreement with a regular pap doing a better job every year! We will just have to sit back and let the cards fall where they may!

Exactly, there isnt crap we can do about it individually and our organizations seem apathetic. Even though we are wasting more money on cervical cancer screening than ever before, is it really improved? Physicians and labs wont police themselves when it comes to waste in health care. They WILL NEVER admit that a new expensive technology isn't far superior to old once they have invested in it. Remember in the early days of monolayer paps all those lab workers and doctors claiming liquid based paps were superior for bloody specimens? Meanwhile, those of us in the trenches were having a lot of unsats and left shaking our heads.

CAcytotech in California

12 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Dont you love how our organizations that "represent us" showed support for the new pap test guidelines? Meanwhile they want new regulations for imager workload. That makes NO SENSE. You are admitting there is a problem right now with workload but you are saying its ok to increase intervals between screening. Here's a crazy idea (this is for you ASC and others), get the regulations for workload changed first.

Yeah really, I was very upset to find out that the ASCP supports the new guidelines, and you now have CAP wanting us all to fight the proposed pathology reimburement cuts being proposed for next year.....seems pretty hypocritical to me in many ways.

Speaking of workload, I've got about 70 paps to do today with my imager scope........that's why I have time to read this forum. ha Just a matter of time before something gives.

CAcytotech in California

12 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: I think obamacare requires insurance companies to pay for HPV testing every 3 years. It's here to stay. I think a regular pap every year did a better job myself than all this expensive imaging, hpv testing etc.

Unfortuanantly many labs will be a thing of the past if the government gets away with the Medicare cuts for pathology they are proposing. There are 50-80 percent cuts for many common pathology codes. Good luck staying in business losing what little revenue pathology labs have left. Write your representatives ASAP.

Exactly, I think i read that HHS is now only requiring insurance companies to pay for HPV only every 3 years for low risk women. And, here in CA, medicaid just put out quidelines that state they will not reimburse for paps under age 21 or over 65....

12 months ago

CAcytotech in California said: Yeah really, I was very upset to find out that the ASCP supports the new guidelines, and you now have CAP wanting us all to fight the proposed pathology reimburement cuts being proposed for next year.....seems pretty hypocritical to me in many ways.

Speaking of workload, I've got about 70 paps to do today with my imager scope........that's why I have time to read this forum. ha Just a matter of time before something gives.

Despite my disappointment with CAP and others, I do support the effort to stop those cuts. If those cuts go through, it will be the hunger games. The cytotech job market will become even more abysmal as many labs close up shop or outsource the AP. It's going to be difficult for cytology to reinvent itself if there are few jobs and the surviving labs just want techs to push glass 8 hours a day many miles from the patients they serve. For it to have a future, there needs to be FNA assessment and working with other health care professionals ON-SITE. It's just too easy to outsource cytology specimens anywhere. We need to be more involved in interventional procedures.

Here's what i would love our organizations to get accomplished ASAP to try to save this field:
1) get rid of the GYN proficiency test. waste of money that is costing jobs.
2) get rid of billing abuses like client billing. makes cytology unprofitable for many labs and escalates health care costs.
3) use their resources to work with the remaining cytology schools to help techs acquire new skills. we have all these highly trained laid off cytotechs meanwhile we have to listen to the organizations say that there is this huge lab worker shortage. I'd love to ask CAP where exactly does all the money from the gyn proficiencty test go? you could buy every cytotech school some microtomes and other equipment to help retrain techs.

12 months ago

CAcytotech in California said: Just a little imput from the liberal land of fruits and nuts:

I agree with you CAcytotech , cytology has taken several wrong , dangerous turns .

I am not surprised about those HPV negative cases and something tells me the whole HPV testing is just a case of history repeating itself . I remember in 1995 , an article by Leopold Koss , endorsing Pap Net , saying how it increased detections with biopsy confirmed results . Well the device proved a total flop .

It has been said repeatedly , if a woman gets an annual pap , she does not get cervical cancer . Misses on paps are usually due to the cytotech screening too fast . If a system is generally perfect - how can you get better than that ?

12 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: health.costhelper.com/pap-test-comments-1.html

Wow, just look at some of these pap test bills patients have been getting as labs continue to rip women off with unnecessary molecular testing. Two women say they got bills for over 2000 dollars from Bio-Reference labs. Ouch! Its pathetic what some of these labs are doing.

I guess that is cytology's future. Fewer pap tests collected but talk physicians into routinely ordering as many tests as you can off those vials.

This is a very good posting sam , I remember it . " as labs continue to rip women off with unnecessary molecular testing " . That is the HPV testing in a nutshell . An author wrote that there is an epidemic of fraud in the Medical - Industrial Complex .

12 months ago

Labs should be ashamed of charging high risk, under/uninsured women 1000 to 2000 dollars for a pap test. These are the patients that are high risk for dysplasia and need regular screening. They are forgoing pap testing because of this. It is shameful. As usual ASC, ASCP and others are silent......Everyone knows a lot of unecessary testing is being performed. I really wonder if these organizations really care about patients at all.

www.examiner.com/article/additional-unnecessary-tests-drive-routine-pap-smears-upwards-of-1-000

12 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Labs should be ashamed of charging high risk, under/uninsured women 1000 to 2000 dollars for a pap test. These are the patients that are high risk for dysplasia and need regular screening. They are forgoing pap testing because of this. It is shameful. As usual ASC, ASCP and others are silent......Everyone knows a lot of unecessary testing is being performed. I really wonder if these organizations really care about patients at all.

www.examiner.com/article/additional-unnecessary-tests-drive-routine-pap-smears-upwards-of-1-000

Thank you very much for this link , Sam . I posted it twice to my Facebook page . Shameful is right . More usual , the FDA does not listen either . The only way to get anything done on this issue is by educating the community . I saw that Gary Gill posted it on The Listserve . RunFastDieYoung - ok .

Do the GYNs get some kind of kickbacks for ordering HPV or Imaging ? ? ?

Time for Sunday Night Football !

12 months ago

ASCP launched that campaign called "choose wisely" which was supposed to highlight test overutilization. ASCP should be openly critical of labs that are pushing unnecessary testing from liquid based paps and educate the public about the issue. The problem with women being charged 1000 bucks for a pap has been there for years. Labs got excited when they saw they could make all that money pushing this garbage. They are so desperate for revenue in the face of new pap guidelines and declining reimbursement it's not surprising this is happening. We are literally chasing women out of the screening program which is the last thing this field needs.

Instead, ASCP in their campaign targeted Low Risk HPV testing as unnecessary. I consider Low Risk HPV testing more beneficial than PCR for obscure organisms or tests to differentiate candida albicans from candida glabratta. Boy, that is a great use of health care dollars differentiating which candida species a patient has........

Hey ASCP, you might want to educate the public about the 1000 dollar pap test in your "choose wisely" campaign.

12 months ago

Same with Trichomonas , women definitely know they have it when they do . A simple Wet Prep will find it within ~ 30 minutes and only charge ~ $ 15 rather than a DNA test that can cost 10 times as much . Neisseria can also be detected with a gram stain and culture for cheap . Now the issue is on the Pathologists radar and maybe something will get done ? The original report was published in The New England Journal of Medicine .

Do the physicians not know that something is wrong with this picture ? ? ? Do they get some kind of compensation when they order these absurdities ?

12 months ago

Nothing will get done, especially with the looming cuts for 2014 from CMS. 50-80 percent TC cuts for many pathology codes is devastating. Molecular is getting hammered bad. Many esoteric labs will be closing up shop in 2014 if those cuts go through, no doubt about it. There will be even fewer places doing FISH, flow etc. If you are tech wanting to change careers/add skills, I'd definitely think hard before spending time pursuing molecular. It sure looks like the emperors new clothes. If cytology has taught us anything, its that you should pursue a career with more employment opportunities. Molecular will be even more niche than cytology and those cuts will grind innovation/job creation to halt.

The way labs survive these cuts is overutilization. The government and payers taketh and the labs find a way to bill for other stuff. If the lab can make more money doing a DNA test for trich, they will market the heck out of it. Break out the powerpoint presentation that show how many women have trichomonas and dont know it, pump the audience full of fear talking about how dangerous it is to let it go untreated,show sensitivity/specificity and bill$ bill$ bill$. Pathologists are just slaves to the large corporate labs/hospitals now. They have literally no power and can be replaced with a "yes" man in a second due to the pathologist surplus. Choose Wisely campaign from ASCP is a joke. In the real world, it is Choose Liberally!

11 months ago

11 months ago

Senator Manchin - W Va , is demanding a probe of the FDA after learning that drug companies paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to get access to an FDA panel on pain killers . They apparently are trying to block attempts to keep prescription drugs off the streets to protect their profits .

Some have suggested that corporations in cervical cytopathology have promoted liquid based paps , computerized microscopes , HPV testing and vaccines through similar underhanded tactics ?

Regarding Sam's comment above , I do not expect to survive 2014 .

11 months ago

That will just leave you with more time to complain about the FDA and create new online characters. I wonder if CAcytotech and Dr papsmear were just creations too.

CAcytotech in California

11 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: That will just leave you with more time to complain about the FDA and create new online characters. I wonder if CAcytotech and Dr papsmear were just creations too.

uh, no. Why are you so suspicious of people that post on this forum?

Healthcare is a mess right now, as is the country, with this imperial government shoving socialism and socialized healthcare on the American people. The goal is single payer government-run "healthcare."----and all of our jobs are at risk.

11 months ago

You of little faith..First of all as far as I know and I am not a computer expert, but I believe your IPO address indicates where you are sending info from..SO you can't create non-real persons from different states (correct me if I am wrong)

Now..Just to set the record straight and have the balls to be honest, I am Doctor Pap Smear otherwise known as Linwood A. Beverly, Jr.CT(ASCP) with fifty years of cytology experience. Senior Cytotech at Boston Medical Center Boston, Ma. CHECK IT OUT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME !!!!

11 months ago

DR. PAP SMEAR in Boston, Massachusetts said: You of little faith..First of all as far as I know and I am not a computer expert, but I believe your IPO address indicates where you are sending info from..SO you can't create non-real persons from different states (correct me if I am wrong)

Now..Just to set the record straight and have the balls to be honest, I am Doctor Pap Smear otherwise known as Linwood A. Beverly, Jr.CT(ASCP) with fifty years of cytology experience. Senior Cytotech at Boston Medical Center Boston, Ma. CHECK IT OUT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME !!!!

I think if you use remote operation software you can access another computer far away ? ? You might need some espionage / hacker experience for that . You can also allow others to use your computer if they are too terrified to protest but see the need to speak out about major troubles .

There is a new robotic hysterectomy instrument and some seem to think they are drumming up reasons to do hysterectomies with it to pay for it and simply profit . Some women angry as hell about it . I suspect some of the hospital staff are afraid to criticize it ? ? ? I let a nurse and a victim of it use my computer to send a letter of protest to the local newspaper .

11 months ago

One bright spot in cytology is the return of sending cytotechs on FNAs . Only problem is that they can call and ( sounding rushed ) say " we need you right away " , click . Only to go over and find some kind of delay that keeps you there for awhile . But , I have not been on one in ~ 13 years and they are interesting and a challenge . The ENDO people are a friendly crew and it is a nice change . The Cyto Gods are smiling on us !

jennidalton83 in Cleveland, Ohio

11 months ago

CLIA 88 Is Trashed in Columbus, Ohio said: One bright spot in cytology is the return of sending cytotechs on FNAs . Only problem is that they can call and ( sounding rushed ) say " we need you right away " , click . Only to go over and find some kind of delay that keeps you there for awhile . But , I have not been on one in ~ 13 years and they are interesting and a challenge . The ENDO people are a friendly crew and it is a nice change . The Cyto Gods are smiling on us !

This is true, lol. We get called up to procedures, and when we get there they haven't even started yet! Even after asking on the phone if they were ready for us now, or just calling to let us know they would need us shortly, they will tell us they are ready for us now. Still, I'll take it over not getting to go to FNAs. I enjoy them.

11 months ago

CAcytotech in California said: uh, no. Why are you so suspicious of people that post on this forum?

Healthcare is a mess right now, as is the country, with this imperial government shoving socialism and socialized healthcare on the American people. The goal is single payer government-run "healthcare."----and all of our jobs are at risk.

Glad you are actually real. Some dude in Ohio used to post under a bunch of different names. Not sure why. It was pretty weird stuff to read. Maybe he can what the point of that was.

The lab industry is definitely in the crosshairs of this government. It's looking pretty bad for the independent labs that are still left. Just a few hospital labs and large corporate entities are going to survive Im afraid. Good article in the new issue of clinical lab news.

www.aacc.org/publications/cln/2013/november/Pages/Reimbursement.aspx#

11 months ago

CLIA 88 Is Trashed in Columbus, Ohio said: I think if you use remote operation software you can access another computer far away ? ? You might need some espionage / hacker experience for that . You can also allow others to use your computer if they are too terrified to protest but see the need to speak out about major troubles .

There is a new robotic hysterectomy instrument and some seem to think they are drumming up reasons to do hysterectomies with it to pay for it and simply profit . Some women angry as hell about it . I suspect some of the hospital staff are afraid to criticize it ? ? ? I let a nurse and a victim of it use my computer to send a letter of protest to the local newspaper .

Yea, i bet a nurse and victim of it used your computer. That nurse is probably about as real as Anne Marie from San Fran or the Airborn Army from buffalo. LOL

11 months ago

I saw on Listserve , Gary Gill mentioned that ASC is hosting a conference Saturday in Orlando , discussion on Imaging assisted screening . The CDC , FDA and CMS will be there . I guess they are going over work load limits . I presume that is Gary Gill's specialty - QC & QA issues ? ?

11 months ago

Sounds like a patient's family is suing labcorp over a misread pap. Wonder what happened there. Were the cells on the slide and missed by the tech or imager? Was it a bloody specimen that was borderline unsatisfactory because some of the liquid based paps can't deal with blood?

wvrecord.com/news/263384-labcorp-accused-of-misreading-specimen

Its about time the issue of workload with pap imagers is addressed. Only took 9 or so years sadly. Hopefully they will come up with reasonable limits, a minimum percentage of cases for full review, a maximum number of hours spent screening and required breaks. DVT and pulmonary emboli are a hidden danger in this field thanks to high quotas imposed on screeners.

CAcytotech in California

11 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Sounds like a patient's family is suing labcorp over a misread pap. Wonder what happened there. Were the cells on the slide and missed by the tech or imager? Was it a bloody specimen that was borderline unsatisfactory because some of the liquid based paps can't deal with blood?

wvrecord.com/news/263384-labcorp-accused-of-misreading-specimen

Its about time the issue of workload with pap imagers is addressed. Only took 9 or so years sadly. Hopefully they will come up with reasonable limits, a minimum percentage of cases for full review, a maximum number of hours spent screening and required breaks. DVT and pulmonary emboli are a hidden danger in this field thanks to high quotas imposed on screeners.

I have a feeling that the new pap guidelines will prevent any modifications to the current workload issues. They may even get more irresponsible as companies like LabCorp, Quest, etc. undercut and aggressively pursue the shrinking pap numbers due to the new guidelines. It has always been their business model to increase and force insane workloads on the minimum number of techs needed to just "get by." Basically, I think they will undercut their competitors, fire techs, and force high workload numbers even more aggressively than before......................

of course, here at my work the workload dropoff is helping us---I have about 60 paps to do today using the imager. Makes for an easy day I guess, for now.

Page:  « First « Previous   44  45  46  47  48  49  50  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.