ex con

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

How is that is because of the economy. People are getting fired - not hired. There are a lot of us just turning 50 who are unemployed. Twenty years ago I didn't worry about turning 50 because jobs were plentyful and I would have been considered experienced. Now, because of the economy, the jobs are available are going to a select few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Davie1 in Winder, Georgia

73 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: How is that is because of the economy. People are getting fired - not hired. There are a lot of us just turning 50 who are unemployed. Twenty years ago I didn't worry about turning 50 because jobs were plentyful and I would have been considered experienced. Now, because of the economy, the jobs are available are going to a select few.

i understand but the fields i have experience in are hiring like nursing field in pa i had job for 9years here in ga they wont hire me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: How is that is because of the economy. People are getting fired - not hired. There are a lot of us just turning 50 who are unemployed. Twenty years ago I didn't worry about turning 50 because jobs were plentyful and I would have been considered experienced. Now, because of the economy, the jobs are available are going to a select few.

I have rewards for excellent commitment to patients never any complaints from patients or co workers every1 luved me I moved here because the houses were cheaper but cant get hired because of background

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Davie1 in Bethlehem, Georgia

73 months ago

would getting an expungment help me obtain a job in ga? its been 20 years since my offense any comments welcome had good job in ny for 10 years been a law abiding tax paying citizen and been unable to get job in ga because of background im a dad and wanna work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

big daddy war bucks in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Dude I feel ya go to Califorina they can only go back 7 years by law it worked for me and I had 14 different numbers and I did claim it and they don't know even now i've been here for over 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

big daddy war bucks in Los Angeles, California said: Dude I feel ya go to Califorina they can only go back 7 years by law it worked for me and I had 14 different numbers and I did claim it and they don't know even now i've been here for over 3 years.

wow thats cool problem i have house with gf and its cheap here would an expugement work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Atlantic City, New Jersey

72 months ago

Davie1 in Winder, Georgia said: how is people suppose to survive if they cant get a job because of background ? I did my time it was 20 years ago and I relocate here to ga and cant find a job how is that?

There a lot of information for ex-offenders looking for work at my blog:

www.jailtojob.com/wordpress

Pauly Walnuts in New York, New York

70 months ago

Davie1 in Bethlehem, Georgia said: would getting an expungment help me obtain a job in ga? its been 20 years since my offense any comments welcome had good job in ny for 10 years been a law abiding tax paying citizen and been unable to get job in ga because of background im a dad and wanna work

That's the weird thing I started to discover when researching jobs south of the Mason-Dixon line - up here in NY, not so many check your background, or they don't check thoroughly, or don't bother checking anything beyond your MVR. It's quite a bit more lax up
here in NY. But down south? - down there they want a full background check, credit check, ect, for a minimum wage dishwasher job! I mean, cmON! I don't have any criminal convictions, but I can see how someone that made a mistake, even a minor mistake in his younger days, is like, permanently disenfranchised FOREVER in so many parts of the country, for jobs that requiring a BG check for makes absolutely no sense at all, and so what those with old or minor convictions in their past gonna do to survive? Starve?
Go back to crime because it's the only way to survive? I mean, you've paid your fines, you done the time, but you continue to be punished forever - to me, that's just_not_right, and takes away the incentive to remain on the straight and narrow.

I think ALL non-violent felonies should *automatically* dissapear off your record after 10 years of good behavior, and all misdermeanors should automatically dissapear off your record after 5 years, (like the points on your license dissapear with time). This way, a man can get on with his life with a clean slate and
a level playing field, get hisself honest work, and have an incentive to keep his nose clean because he has a clean slate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Lexington, Missouri

70 months ago

Davie1 in Winder, Georgia said: how is people suppose to survive if they cant get a job because of background ? I did my time it was 20 years ago and I relocate here to ga and cant find a job how is that?

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR CHARGES ARE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Adogzheart in Atlantic City, New Jersey

70 months ago

I have posted tons of videos on Youtube that can help e-offenders and felons get jobs. You can find them here:

www.youtube.com/user/adogzheart

Please subscribe to my channel so you can be notified when i post new videos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Frisky for work in Rancho Cucamonga, California

70 months ago

big daddy war bucks in Los Angeles, California said: Dude I feel ya go to Califorina they can only go back 7 years by law it worked for me and I had 14 different numbers and I did claim it and they don't know even now i've been here for over 3 years.

Dont tell him to come here I have been laid off after 7 years in the same field and I dont have a record and I cant get a job either.

m town in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

thats crazy

Honest not always the best policy in Riverhead, New York

69 months ago

m town in Memphis, Tennessee said: thats crazy

Nothin' crazy about doing what you gotta do to survive, especially in these hard economic times.

693 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

68 months ago

company go back 25 yr that wrong do we get a second change i did my time i was wrong for sell druge but i learn my lesson for that i just want a change783

Jon in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

Reading what you wrote is true, take what you can get to get through this economy crisis. deliverying pizza is something no one wants to do but it is not about what you want to do it's about what you need to do thanks.

cory hayward in Deerfield Beach, Florida

67 months ago

thank you for kind word i been tyring for 1yr ibeen out of work for 10 month and have 4 kids

Pauly Walnuts in Queensbury, New York

67 months ago

Cory,
This frickin' recession has been such a killer for so many good, hard working people, and it really makes my heart ache to read stories from folks who have been out of work for many months, and even MORE so for those who also have a family to support. Something's GOTTA turn up for you soon.

Keep hitting Craigslist every day, and make sute to check out other catagories besides "transport" - often, drviving jobs are erroneously listed in other catagories such as P/T, "skilled labor", "General labor" and I've even seen legit driving jobs listed under "customer service" and even "gigs, labor".
Also post your "job-wanted" or resume listing there as well.

Other things you can do(if you're not doing them already): Set-up search agents
on sites like Monster.com, snagajob.com, ect, ect, and let them automatically email you when new jobs matching your criteria come up. You can also post your resume on these sites, as well.

One good general job search site I recommend is indeed.com, because it harvests
job listings off many diffeent sites at the same time, so by searching on indeed,
you are in effect, killing a couple dozen birds with one stone.

And lastly, a thought - if you can't find anything in your home network of friends, co-workers, former employers, ect, you might want to consider relocating to a different part of the country where the unemployment rate is a fraction of where you are now. I know it's tough with 4 kids, but maybe you can
relocate by yourself for now, get yourself established and employed, send money home to the family, and get yourself back on track and in a better position to
decide what to do and where to go for the long term. It's a lot easier and less stressful if you have a staady paycheck coming in, and if that means relocating yourself to one of the many employment oasises in the Midwest and upper Midwest,
while your family stays put(for now, anyway), that might be a good way to go to get yourself back on track.

Pauly Walnuts in Queensbury, New York

67 months ago

For everyone here looking for a job, go to www.recession-news.us - there is a link at the top of the main column called "AP Economic Stress Index, by County".

It's a link to an interactive map of every County in the US, showing employment
statistics, the percentage of folks in foreclosure, and an "economic stress index" rating number for each county. You might be surprised at how LOW the unemployment rate is in some of these Counties - if you're considering relocating
for employment and better opportunities, this map will give you a good idea where
to start your search. I would recommend making a list of the Counties with the lowest unemployment rates, and then hitting Craigslist.org and looking at the job listings for those areas.

Much of the midwest and upper midwest have counties with extremely low unemployment rates (under 3%!), and much of it is also cheap livin' and cheap housing, with low prices and low property taxes(for those that might want buy, and stay)

Here is a direct link to the map:
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/interactives/_national/stress_index/index.html?SITE=YAHOO&SECTION=HOME

(You'll have to copy and paste it, I don't know how to create a hyperlink here)

Good luck to everyone here looking for work.

Nelson

65 months ago

I know how it is with a criminal background. No one knows your story yet they treat you like your the worst offender out there. I have interveiwed for jobs that I was more than qualified for yet got the cold shoulder when they found out about my criminal background. I keep looking though there must be someone who will give someone a chance that has done their time

downnotout in t-town,oh in Bloomsdale, Missouri

64 months ago

Pauly Walnuts in Middletown, Connecticut said: 693 in Deerfield,
Don't take it personally and try not to be discouraged. This economy is absolutely horrible, and it's beyond tough tryin' to get a legit drivin' job doin' honest work for an honest day's pay - I have no criminal convictions and a squeaky clean CDL, but I've been out of work up here for 6 *months*, unable to find anything suitable (or even remotely suitable). It's all over the US. It ain't just you, it's *everyone* being affected by this. After 6 months with NO
"unemployment" checks(paying 3 electric bills, 2 sets of property taxes and high rent), I am about 2 weeks away from living in my effin' car, so I can definately
sympathise with your plight! My suggestion to you is what I myself am fixin to be forced to do, and that is taking a much lower payin' driving job such as driving a fsckin' cab and/or delivering pizzas in the evening with my own car.
Pathetic? No doubt, but what's the alternative? Go sell drugs or rob a bank?

Set your sights lower, take a crap driving job for the time being, and at least survive this depression with your pride/criminal record/finances intact(if a bit bruised and bleeding), and hunker down until better times arrive. That's all I can tell you. Us little guys are all fscked, while the fat cats gorge on our tax dollars. It's been said that life ain't fair, but these times go even beyond
merely unfair, especially for the average working stiff trying to do the right thing, earn a living and feed his family. If it's any comfort, you're not alone.

down not out, t-town,oh
i jus wanna say ur a beautiful person man. really you gave hope and understanding instead of judgement and resentment. as an ex-con (15yrs on the straight)i say we ban together and ONLY patronize those that will at least let us put an application in. until things we have to micro-manufacter our products create a lot of small jobs instead of going to these corporations.

Terry C. in Trenton, New Jersey

46 months ago

Joe in Lexington, Missouri said: IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR CHARGES ARE.

Terry C., yeah your right, I have been home for 2 years now and I am just finding a job, have a distribution and possesion of marijuana charge, and you have thought I murdered or raped someone out here, Let God be the glory I just found a job, but I had to know someone to get pulled in, finished trucking school on Dec 31,2010 for my class CDL A License, but man nobody was touching me with a 10 foot pole, I had to explain my charges to my new employer and the outcome, and he's giving me a chance, I'LL start out on these little dump trucks with no airbrakes but when the season slows down they'll start training me in the tractor trailers, man I found God when i was incarcerated and stayed with him every since, and my love and faith to him prevailed, so In my own words I WOULD TELL ANYONE TO GIVE IT ALL TO GOD, AND SOMEONE WILL EVENTUALLY GIVE YOU A CHANCE, AND THATS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBURGH FOR YOUR LIFE!

Dave in Augusta, Georgia

44 months ago

Terry C. in Trenton, New Jersey said: Terry C., yeah your right, I have been home for 2 years now and I am just finding a job, have a distribution and possesion of marijuana charge, and you have thought I murdered or raped someone out here, Let God be the glory I just found a job, but I had to know someone to get pulled in, finished trucking school on Dec 31,2010 for my class CDL A License, but man nobody was touching me with a 10 foot pole, I had to explain my charges to my new employer and the outcome, and he's giving me a chance, I'LL start out on these little dump trucks with no airbrakes but when the season slows down they'll start training me in the tractor trailers, man I found God when i was incarcerated and stayed with him every since, and my love and faith to him prevailed, so In my own words I WOULD TELL ANYONE TO GIVE IT ALL TO GOD, AND SOMEONE WILL EVENTUALLY GIVE YOU A CHANCE, AND THATS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBURGH FOR YOUR LIFE!

I'm glade to see you know you have put your faith in Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amy in Lillington, North Carolina

43 months ago

Terry C. in Trenton, New Jersey said: Terry C., yeah your right, I have been home for 2 years now and I am just finding a job, have a distribution and possesion of marijuana charge, and you have thought I murdered or raped someone out here, Let God be the glory I just found a job, but I had to know someone to get pulled in, finished trucking school on Dec 31,2010 for my class CDL A License, but man nobody was touching me with a 10 foot pole, I had to explain my charges to my new employer and the outcome, and he's giving me a chance, I'LL start out on these little dump trucks with no airbrakes but when the season slows down they'll start training me in the tractor trailers, man I found God when i was incarcerated and stayed with him every since, and my love and faith to him prevailed, so In my own words I WOULD TELL ANYONE TO GIVE IT ALL TO GOD, AND SOMEONE WILL EVENTUALLY GIVE YOU A CHANCE, AND THATS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBURGH FOR YOUR LIFE!

i can understand how you feel i have been out since nov. 2010 for the fist time ever being in trouble and my life is HELL now. it is like i am a bad person because i have made a mistake. one drug charnge will mess up the rest of your life i have lost everything and trying to find a job is like a needle in a hay stack. GOD BLESS!!

esteban.gutierrez210@yahoo.com in Bronx, New York

17 months ago

im with you on that,cause im trying to do the right thing but its like the negative is also calling due to me not being able to find an honestpaying 9 to 5 due to my criminal past behavior.this world is crazy PEACE$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.