Big trouble figuring out charting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Desperate DA trainee in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

Hello folks. I am currently in an accelerated dental assisting course, and I am having way too much trouble with charting and abbreviations. For instance, while I know that m=mesial and d=distal and things like that, when the instructor tells me to chart something I have trouble figuring out what order to put the letters in. (I've been told that you work out from the mesial, so a MOD makes sense, but then why is an incisal distal cavity a DI, and not an ID?!)

I keep feeling like I missed this stuff in class, but I've never missed a day. Reading our text book isn't very helpful, it only has SOME of the abbreviations and symbols and they don't always sync up with what the instructor is teaching us. (There are apparently many ways to mark a tooth as needing extraction!)

I really need a video or a decent book that will explain dental charting to me. Youtube is no good, they only have videos from 1972 (literally) and a lot of that info isn't current anymore. I'm doing OK in the class otherwise, but I CAN'T seem to figure out charting and if I can't do it soon, I'm scared I'll flunk. I'm broke and out of work, and I really, really need to pass this course so I can get a job! Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Walworth, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Most decay on anterior "grows" , if you will, interproximal. So most likely you'd see a #10 DFL or DL -
I usually chart on posteriors:
DO
MO
MOD
MOD-B
MODBL
and anteriors seem to be in non-specific orders sometimes.
like DIFL, MFL, etc

Here is more info on classifying fillings:

Class I Caries affecting pit and fissure, on occlusal, buccal, and lingual surfaces of posterior teeth, and Lingual of anterior teeth.
Class II Caries affecting proximal surfaces of molars and premolars.
Class III Caries affecting proximal surfaces of centrals, laterals, and cuspids.
Class IV Caries affecting proximal including incisal edges of anterior teeth.
Class V Caries affecting gingival 1/3 of facial or lingual surfaces of anterior or posterior teeth.
Class VI Caries affecting cusp tips of molars, premolars, and cuspids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

61 months ago

Regarding dental charting. Why are you so worried? Doctor does an exam and tells to assistant his/her findings. You just wright down what he tells you unless you are a RDAEF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Hampton, Virginia

61 months ago

How do you distinguish charting grold crowns from prm and all percelain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Good question- I can't remember. I usually just circle the tooth to show "crown" but I dont
really specify.
Right now we use dental software and you can specify more detail on it.

iloveteeth in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

Lora in La Jolla, California said: Regarding dental charting. Why are you so worried? Doctor does an exam and tells to assistant his/her findings. You just wright down what he tells you unless you are a RDAEF.

Im sure she is worried because she wants to be thourough and ensures she gets eerything right!! Its hard to remember what it is like for the newbies. It comes fast though once you are doing it clinically!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

iloveteeth in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

stacey in Hampton, Virginia said: How do you distinguish charting grold crowns from prm and all percelain

It depends if it is digital or paper. On paper its Dr.s preference. Gold we normally fill in-PFM we put stripes through. I have seen offices put FGC or PFM inside the circled crown or even PFG. And then once you get it down another office will do it different. So many things to stay on top of!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Hampton, Virginia

60 months ago

you are right! I want to be great at what I do with no errors....

so in Hampton, Virginia

60 months ago

normally when charyting buccal decay...Do you chart at the gingival gum line,,,and also if he says distl decay on 10...Do u chart in L or d

sarah in Barrie, Ontario

46 months ago

Lora in La Jolla, California said: Regarding dental charting. Why are you so worried? Doctor does an exam and tells to assistant his/her findings. You just wright down what he tells you unless you are a RDAEF.

wow you are very rude for someone who cant spell write right.

sarah in Barrie, Ontario

46 months ago

You are not the only one having trouble with this, I have stayed awake crying trying to finish assignments and trying to figure out the same thing you are... I get all the charting symbols and I am doing great in therory and clinical but evryone in my class feels the same like they are missing something. Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one and I feel better knowing im not the only one who doesn't get it :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.