Boom or bust?

Comments (25)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most dental assistant opportunities?

Joanne Vensel in Laconia, NH

105 months ago

I have been out of work as a Denal Assistant since April 2006. I have been looking ever since. There seems to be no jobs in NH for Dental Assistants.
I have been looking all over the Seacoast. I live in Somersworth, NH. I need help looking for work.
Where are the jobs. Who is hiring Dental Assistants.

myredrose1974 in Vermilion, OH

105 months ago

there is hardly any jobs in ohio too, and if there happen to be 6 that opened, anybody and their brother go,,,,its a very competitive field....im thinking about going into insurance, prob wont have any luck with that here too....but, either they want exp, which i have, but not enough, or too much, or x-ray or no x-ray,,, i cant win.

eeyoredays1@aol.com in Reston, VA

105 months ago

I was told dental assisting was on the rise. Here in Des Moines Iowa there are so many schools around, alot of people competing for a job. I have been out of work looking since March 2006, just graduated in December 2005. It also seems dentist are looking for those with alot of experience behind them, not just out of school. How do you get the experience without a job?

pandagrl11984@yahoo.com in Des Moines, IA

105 months ago

I was told that dental assistant jobs where on the rise as well, but when i graduated from college for it there where no jobs anywhere in eastern iowa. There have been very few but there are atleast 10 other people going for the same position. Today i found out that the dental assistant job market is saturated. Good luck to every one like me looking as well!!!!

Joanne in Laconia, NH

105 months ago

I am a Dental Assistant who has been looking for a job now for over 4 months.
I am now looking to move out of state, for jobs, because where I live there are no jobs.
I am 50 and I am so scared for my life.
What do I do now. The younger generation are getting jobs and people like me are struggling to servive.

Emma in Stamford, CT

105 months ago

I just did a search for "dental assistant" and noticed the refinement margin (on the left hand side of the page) offered the following cities as having the most amount of job listings matching the search... Hope that helps!
Chicago, IL (485)
New York, NY (477)
Los Angeles, CA (445)
Phoenix, AZ (397)
Atlanta, GA (393)

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com in Philadelphia, PA

104 months ago

For some reason it seems that this time of year in Philadelphia, dentistry slows down, It picks up after the holidays, I really don't know why. It seems that there are always jobs in the state of New Jersy, but I am only xray certified for the state of Pa. And Jersy doctors want thier assistants to be certified, if they want you bad enough then they should pay for the testing.

Anika in Saint Louis, Missouri

102 months ago

I have been out of school since may of 2006 and hane been looking for a dental assistant job but all of the ones in Missouri wants experience how can I gain the experience if noboby will hire me to get the experience that most of the employers want I feel like I am in a no win sitituation and sometimes wish i would have chose another profession

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

102 months ago

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com said: For some reason it seems that this time of year in Philadelphia, dentistry slows down, It picks up after the holidays, I really don't know why. It seems that there are always jobs in the state of New Jersy, but I am only xray certified for the state of Pa. And Jersy doctors want thier assistants to be certified, if they want you bad enough then they should pay for the testing.

CHRISTMAS COOKIES!!!

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

102 months ago

Anika said: I have been out of school since may of 2006 and hane been looking for a dental assistant job but all of the ones in Missouri wants experience how can I gain the experience if noboby will hire me to get the experience that most of the employers want I feel like I am in a no win sitituation and sometimes wish i would have chose another profession

Have you considered looking for a part-time or possibly an internship to help get your foot in the door? Indeed includes these sorts of listings in it's index.

Debbie in Livonia, Michigan

101 months ago

Joanne said: I am a Dental Assistant who has been looking for a job now for over 4 months.
I am now looking to move out of state, for jobs, because where I live there are no jobs.
I am 50 and I am so scared for my life.
What do I do now. The younger generation are getting jobs and people like me are struggling to servive.
joannevensel@yahoo.com

Dear Joanne, I'm 50 and live here in Michigan,I'm out of a job, long story,but it seems here the more experience you have the less chance of getting hired, they don't want to pay,I have 12yrs of experience in all Dental procedure.Hang in there,you will find a job!Good luck . Debbie

Bad Career?

101 months ago

So is this a bad career to get into? I was looking to get into this career by taking a Distance Education course of Dental Assisting.My plan was to do a non-paid internship halfway during my schooling (which is 9 months long)and how do I go to get certified? I saw on about.com which is a very good site on getting career information that Dental Assisting is the 3rd fastest growing career without needing a degree.Number 1 is an Health Aide and Number 2 is Medical Assistant.Please help,Thanks

Carolyn

101 months ago

I agree with you. I've been away from Dental Assisting for about 8 years. I'm now trying to get back into it. It is really hard. there isn't alot of jobs in Philly.

J

101 months ago

I think the problem with alot of people is that their not willing to move out of state,that way you will have a much better chance of finding a job.If you go to Indeed.com job search and sign up for free to get jobs emailed to you,there are tons of them,but you got to be willing to move.Remember life is all about sacrifices....

Kim in Dallas, Georgia

100 months ago

I would suggest for all the new graduates or anyone who is looking for a job not to give up! Just keep looking and it may take awhile an at the end it all will pay off. I'm in Atlanta and the medical fields here is booming. I for one, just found a great practice to work for and I have been working for a week. I wanted to work in the front but I ended up in the back being a dental assistant and believe me it hard working and very rewarding and I love it. I did not go to dental school or any sort of school. I have experience in health care administration and also working at the Veterinary Clinic doing dental there. But if you keep on looking around you too will find that perfect job for you. Just keep your hope alive and be consistent send out resumes everyday, apply at places that ask for front office help and in the long run you can work in the back. Well good luck to everyone!!

june

98 months ago

Joannein Laconia, NH said: I am a Dental Assistant who has been looking for a job now for over 4 months.
I am now looking to move out of state, for jobs, because where I live there are no jobs.
I am 50 and I am so scared for my life.
What do I do now. The younger generation are getting jobs and people like me are struggling to servive.
I have bee looking for almost 2 years

cathy in Mount Arlington, New Jersey

94 months ago

Joanne Vensel in Laconia, NH said: I have been out of work as a Denal Assistant since April 2006. I have been looking ever since. There seems to be no jobs in NH for Dental Assistants.
I have been looking all over the Seacoast. I live in Somersworth, NH. I need help looking for work.
Where are the jobs. Who is hiring Dental Assistants.

Healthy Smiles in Dover NH is hiring-apply there

Kris in Stafford, Virginia

74 months ago

Is there anyone out there that likes being a dental assistant? How is the job market in No. Virginia?

Thanks!

tammylee in New Castle, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Kris in Stafford, Virginia said: Is there anyone out there that likes being a dental assistant? How is the job market in No. Virginia?

Thanks!

Iam from newport news VA. I worked as a dental assistant there for 10 years. The field is booming in the hampton roads area. The average pay is 15 dollars an hour.

david101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

42 months ago

Im in Los angeles,ca im thinkin about going to school for dental assisting,im 31 yrs old and im a mle does anyone know how the job market is in Los angeles and boardering cities, message me back, please

Kristy in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for 4 years. I took a 10 week course at a small dental office and did 130 hours of clinicals. I too was having a hard time finding a job because most offices want "experience" so, I lied on my resume and that's how I got my first job.
I've been fortinate to have worked with great dentists. Yes they have their moments but I've never taken it personal. I work at a multi-specialty office and I told my boss that I refuse to work with the oral surgeon because he was rude and treated his staff like "crap". My boss respected me for talking to him about it and granted my request.
You just have to know what you stand for and not let the doctors walk all over you. I have no problem giving my bosses additude if they are out of line.
I do think dental assistants are under payed for the amount of work we do and there is no advancement unless you go into hygiene. But over-all I do not think it's a bad career. I make $20/hr, full benefits, 401k, free dental work, and I love my patients.

Medical Dental Staffing, Inc. in Fredericksburg, Virginia

34 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most dental assistant opportunities?


We are an agency that specializes in temporary and permanent positions of dental professions. Are numbers for offices looking for experienced individuals are higher than they have been in the last 5 years. I am amazed at how busy we are. There are numerous opportunities through our organization.

tylisha31 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

27 months ago

y

tylisha31 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

27 months ago

Hello everyone I am interested in the Dental Assisting program here in Virginia Beach, however I do not trust Everest, Centura and all those other private institutions. Does anyone know of a legit accredited school here?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.