Contemplating Starting a Denal Assisting Career, HELP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 161)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Angie in Anchorage, Alaska

115 months ago

I toowas in your situation at one time. My dad thought that Concorde was a "fake" school. However I went to the meeting and it has only gottenbetter from there. There are rip of schools out there ones that are not excepted traing by the American Dental Association. I can personally tell you that Concorde is legite! There wereothe ladies in my class however that were going through schooling again because they first went to one of these rip off schools.
There is plenty of potential for a very good income in Oregon. Oregon is one of the strictest states as far as requirement go. Once you are trained there youare prepared for any states regulations.
Concorde gave me the background I needed to suceed in this field. I have been assisting for 7 years now and I Love it! But there is a lot that you have to learn out in the field...in the end it isvery rewarding.
What I like most is that you are always doing new things and no two days are the same. There are some places that are flexible with your schedule...but you are always on the doctors time.
some of the best advice thatI ever received was that the dental field is a very tight knit community and you don't want to do anything at one job that might affect your chances at another...Doctors talk to one another!!
I have never had a doctor look down at my training and when you leave Concorde you are certified and the staff is very helpful and places you in your first job!!! Any way...Hope that this helpsand good lock in your endevours!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Anchorage, Alaska

115 months ago

Sorry for all my typos in the previous reply...I was excited to tell you all about it! I just wanted to add that the schooling takes about 9 months!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christina B in Ecru, Mississippi

111 months ago

You're right! I attended Concorde Career College in Memphis, TN. It's was a good experience for me. Although I have not found a job yet, I really learned alot. My location is small and hard to find jobs. I will probably have to move into a area before I'll be able to find employment in the dental field. Good luck and study hard to stay on top. I did and I graduated with high honors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

4handerinAZ in Mesa, Arizona

110 months ago

Dont bother with assisting. Got to hygiene school. The pay rate is 3 times better, the competition is less, and the job is respected 10x's more than an assistant.
I have been a dental assistant for 25years. I wish someone would have told me to go to hygiene school.
Also, as a hygienist, as you get older, you are still valuable if you were looking for a new job. As a 53 year old, looking for an assistant job is a slap in the face. I have worked front office for 15 of those years, and it is easier work, but the position becomes all about "money" and keeping the schedule filled....sometimes, you can only do so much. The stress from the Dr is alot less on the assistants, and next to nothing on the Hygienist.... Go for hygiene, or go into a different field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Vandalia, Ohio

110 months ago

What are some of the schools that are "RIP OFF"s????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Veronica

110 months ago

I live in Austin, TX & I'm considering pursuing a career change and becomong a Dental Assistant. All the local schools here are not ADA accredited but allow you to go through their programs anywhere from 10 weeks to 9 months (depending which school you decide to go to); I also work full-time for a school district & would like to start my new career this time next year. Does it really matter if the school is NOT ADA accredited? Also, is it a lengthy process to become a Dental Hygienist AFTER being a Dental Assistant for several years? I wasn't sure if having gone through a Dental Assisting Program & then working as a Dental Assistant for say 3-4 years if SOME of the classes offered to become a Dental Hygienist are the same or completely different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

110 months ago

Katti in Tualatin, Oregon said: I've been thinking of becoming a dental assistant for some time now. However after reading some of the dicussion boards.. I'm getting a little nervous. I have not yet started any schooling, and was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm 21 and I will have no help whatsoever to cover the costs of school. I want to make sure I make the right choice. I love working with people, and am looking for a career that will have flexible hours. How is the pay in Oregon? Do dentists look down on schools like Concorde? What schools here in Oregon are reccomended? How long does schooling take? I appreciate ANY and ALL advice!! Thanks!
There are a couple of different ways you can get the experience you need. If you were to find a dentist who would train you on the job, you would be able to be paid while getting the experience you need. I have found that the students who do attend a school end up doing a whole lot of book work (which is a good basis for the education) but have very little hands-on, which is what doctors are looking at when they hire you with experience. If you can find a good school that has financial aid and has a good clinical (hands-on) program, that is the best scenario. I wish you luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nichole in Saint Louis, Missouri

110 months ago

Katti in Tualatin, Oregon said: I've been thinking of becoming a dental assistant for some time now. However after reading some of the dicussion boards.. I'm getting a little nervous. I have not yet started any schooling, and was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm 21 and I will have no help whatsoever to cover the costs of school. I want to make sure I make the right choice. I love working with people, and am looking for a career that will have flexible hours. How is the pay in Oregon? Do dentists look down on schools like Concorde? What schools here in Oregon are reccomended? How long does schooling take? I appreciate ANY and ALL advice!! Thanks!
Dont Do It !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

Dont Do It !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Krista in Salem, Oregon

110 months ago

If you want to be a dental assistant...Congrats! I am 23 and took the big step to go back to school. I have been wanting to be a dental assistant since high school, and i love my job. I went to Chemeketa Community College here in Salem. With all the other schools out there in Oregon, Chemeketa is the most renowned school out there becuase of the training you recieve. Yes, there were courses you had to complete before being excepted into the dental assisting program, but it took me two terms to complete those courses. Only 30 students are excepted into the program each year, you have the best teachers, you get an awesome clinic for hands-on, and you get to know the information that is important (book smarts). I would say that if you really want to start a good career path, and want to be a graduate from a well known school for its dental assisting program, then look into Chemeketa Community College. It is worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TheUrbanToothFairy in Duluth, Georgia

109 months ago

I was a dental assisting instructor for a year and a half here in Atlanta, Ga. I've been in the dental field for almost 11 years now. I've been a dental assistant, lead assistant, instructor and now a scheduling cordinator/treatment plan coordinator. Dental assisting has opened many doors for me. The best part about assisting is the diversity and the opportunities to excel professionally. I currently make $17.75 at my new position and I'm set to make $18.50 at my 3 month eval next month and I know I should be happy with that but, my office manager let it slip today that our dental hygienist makes $325 a day. All of the sudden I'm feeling like it's time to go back to school. Dental Hygiene is a highly respected profession, pays well, and the stress is minimal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kebra

109 months ago

I just recently graduated in June 07. Currently I live in Connecticut I am looking for a Dental Assistant job in the Atlanta Georgia area I have been looking at the Atlanta Journal paper and googling serveral employers sending my resume as you all proberly know everybody wants experienced Dental Assistant I am working with an agency so I am getting as much diverse experience as I can. Any one know any agencies in Georgia preferrably Atlanta area that hire new grads?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

suzy in San Diego, California

109 months ago

I was wondering; do you know if dental assisting is a "pre-requisite" for dental hygienist? I want to go straight into being a hygienist but am having a hard time finding schools or training. Anyone know?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wanda in San Antonio, Texas

109 months ago

I'm in Tx. and about to finish DH school. I had no DA experience, but I had a lot of work experience in customer service and a lot of volunteer work.. I think the schools like to see the volunteer work because now that I'm here community is emphasized a lot. God Bless you!

nancy in Athens, Georgia

109 months ago

suzy in San Diego, California said: I was wondering; do you know if dental assisting is a "pre-requisite" for dental hygienist? I want to go straight into being a hygienist but am having a hard time finding schools or training. Anyone know?
Thanks!

Hi Suzy-
I've been a hygienist for 27 years and I entered the field with no dental experience. I worked for 22 years in a private office and now teach dental assisting and dental hygiene students in a Technical College. We do not require that someone be a dental assistant in order to apply but you would need to check with whichever accredited program you are interested in. Just look on the Internet under California Dental Hygienists' Association or Google Dental hygiene education in California and you should find a list of schools. Most programs are at least two years once you have completed your prerequisite core classes which takes a year or so, full-time.
Dental assistants do such a completely different task in an office that the students that I have who are assistants before coming to us are ALWAYS shocked at how hard the program is and how much they have to learn in a relatively short period of time. You will have to take a written National Board and a clinical state or regional board at the completion of your training.
The most important thing we look at in our program is your performance in all your prerequisite sciences(if you can't pass a science class, dental hygiene school isn't for you) and also that you have a knowledge of the field. We require our applicants to complete at least 40 hours in a dental office observing a hygienist so you will know exactly what we do. I love this field and have ever since I entered it! I'll pass along a quote that I tell my students: "If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere". Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Memphis, Tennessee

108 months ago

Hello everyone. I am looking for any information about concorde career college. I have done a lot of research on the school but i still don't know if it's for me. It is extremely HIGH. Do employers really hire these graduates. Anyone who has gone there and graduated from their respiratory therapist program, please let me know before i make the biggest mistake of my life, PLEASE HELP ME!

brit in Arlington, Texas

107 months ago

about how much does a dental assistant make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

britdiaz in humble, Texas

107 months ago

I am interested in going to school to be a dental hygienist..I have already started taking my pre req. classes! But I have been thinking about going to school to be a dental assistant..what is the pay for a dental assistant? also how long does it take to finish school to be a dental assistant? and are there pre req. class that need to be taken? if so which ones?

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

107 months ago

Dental Assistants in Texas can make anywhere from about $10/hr starting with no experience to about $25/hr with good experience depending on the doctor, your licensure, and the area. Good luck with your endeavors!!

lynn in Augusta, Georgia

107 months ago

brit diaz in humble, Texas said: I am interested in going to school to be a dental hygienist..I have already started taking my pre req. classes! But I have been thinking about going to school to be a dental assistant..what is the pay for a dent al assistant? also how long does it take to finish school to be a dental assistant? and are there pre req. class that need to be taken? if so which ones?

Please reconsider being a dental assistant. I have been one for 10 years, and Im burnt out from the stress from the Doctor. It's not easy working so close to your boss all day. So much stress and yes they are difficult to work with. Hygiene is so much better. Im working on my schooling now for it. Not to mention the pay is much better!!! You will kick yourself in the butt years from now if you don't finish hygiene school--dont be an assistant--take it from me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

106 months ago

TheUrbanToothFairy in Duluth, Georgia said: I was a dental assisting instructor for a year and a half here in Atlanta, Ga. I've been in the dental field for almost 11 years now. I've been a dental assistant, lead assistant, instructor and now a scheduling cordinator/treatment plan coordinator. Dental assisting has opened many doors for me. The best part about assisting is the diversity and the opportunities to excel professionally. I currently make $17.75 at my new position and I'm set to make $18.50 at my 3 month eval next month and I know I should be happy with that but, my office manager let it slip today that our dental hygienist makes $325 a day. All of the sudden I'm feeling like it's time to go back to school. Dental Hygiene is a highly respected profession, pays well, and the stress is minimal.

Were you making less as an instructor ? I always thought DA instructors is better paywise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cole in Toronto, Ontario

106 months ago

i have been working as a dental assistant for only a year and im thinking of going to a hygiene school but im still having second thoughts about it. im kind of getting bored with dental assisting already. i feel like i've just wasted my money on a private college to study assisting. i dont really know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Circle Pines, Minnesota

105 months ago

lynn in Augusta, Georgia said: Please reconsider being a dental assistant. I have been one for 10 years, and Im burnt out from the stress from the Doctor. It's not easy working so close to your boss all day. So much stress and yes they are difficult to work with. Hygiene is so much better. Im working on my schooling now for it. Not to mention the pay is much better!!! You will kick yourself in the butt years from now if you don't finish hygiene school--dont be an assistant--take it from me.

I have been a dental assistant for about ten years and am considering leaving the field entirely! The stress is out of this world high and doctors are extremely negative, abusive, and volatile! No amount of pay makes up for the stress. If I had to do it all over again I would have chosen tobe a Hygeinist or work in the medical field. Please do your research thoroughly before you committ to dental asst.school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

I agree with every word you said!

Jenny in Holyoke, Massachusetts

105 months ago

I went to A local community college for dental assisting, you really have to learn a lot on the job and it can seem overwhelming, the Job is very stressful and there are many more responsibilities, I am burnt out, You are always on the doctors time, I am trying to find another career because i cant stand this profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Serge in Sacramento, California

105 months ago

I want to start Dental Assisiting were should i start to get my certificate in x-ray and all that, and how much does it cost? THank you!!

crcajo30 in Atlanta, Georgia

105 months ago

I have the same issue however I am soon to be 30 yrs old. I've been a stay at home mom for six years. I decided to go to college to obtain my Assoc degree in Dental Hygiene in the Fall of 2006. I've completed all of my prerequisites for the course, and recently applied for the DH calss of 2009. Since the competition is so thick for DH school, I decided to take a 10 week course in Dental Assisting just to get my foot in the door. When I completed the course I was 6 mos pregnant with my son so it's been 7 mos since I completed the course. I finished the course with the top three in my class. The class took place in an actual dental office on Saturdays and we practiced takink alginate impressions, x-rays, rubber dam placement, instrument transfer technique (just to name a few) on each other, not on dolls. I do feel that I have experience. I waited unitll the first of the year (for my son to be 3 mos) to start looking for work and have had no luck landing an interview. I would like some suggestions on how office managers screen resumes for potential dental assiting candidates. I would also like to know what is a reasonable amount to ask for if I do get an interview. I am well groomed and dressed in a black pant-suit whenever I am dropping off my resume. I drive around to dental offices in the west cobb and south atl area to briefly introduce myself to the office managers with my portfolio in hand and enclosed I have a picture of myself on my resume with a coverletter printed on ivory water marked resume paper. I am always smiling and polite but it seems llike they don't ever want to be bothered and they never seem to like me too much. Am I doing something wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Hillsboro, Oregon

105 months ago

Hi, I went to Concorde Career Institute for dental assisting program in Portland, Oregon. The teachers are really nice and helpful but you don't get much hands on experience there at all. I didn't finish my program because I couldn't finish the externship since I am a single mom and I have to work. I am trying to finish the externship and find a dental office. I would recommend PCC Dental Assisting program there's a clinic there and you can get more hand on training. You get to go to OHSU dental school and help out the dental students as well, also the dental assisting program at pcc is much cheaper and worth it. I regret going to Concorde because not much hands on experience and for how much you get paid as a dental assistant its not worth paying the 12k they want at Concorde.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Seattle, Washington

105 months ago

Anna in Hillsboro, Oregon said: Hi, I went to Concorde Career Institute for dental assisting program in Portland, Oregon. The teachers are really nice and helpful but you don't get much hands on experience there at all. I didn't finish my program because I couldn't finish the externship since I am a single mom and I have to work. I am trying to finish the externship and find a dental office. I would recommend PCC Dental Assisting program there's a clinic there and you can get more hand on training. You get to go to OHSU dental school and help out the dental students as well, also the dental assisting program at pcc is much cheaper and worth it. I regret going to Concorde because not much hands on experience and for how much you get paid as a dental assistant its not worth paying the 12k they want at Concorde.

How long ago did you attend Concorde? I'm considering Dental assistant myself. I live in Portland. Are the classes diffucult? Any info would be appericated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Renee Brown in Dallas, Texas

105 months ago

Kayce in Dallas, Texas said: There are a couple of different ways you can get the experience you need. If you were to find a dentist who would train you on the job, you would be able to be paid while getting the experience you need. I have found that the students who do attend a school end up doing a whole lot of book work (which is a good basis for the education) but have very little hands-on, which is what doctors are looking at when they hire you with experience. If you can find a good school that has financial aid and has a good clinical (hands-on) program, that is the best scenario. I wish you luck!

hi iam looking for a dental assistng school in dallas any suggestions

ashley in Canton, Georgia

105 months ago

4handerinAZ in Mesa, Arizona said: Dont bother with assisting. Got to hygiene school. The pay rate is 3 times better, the competition is less, and the job is respected 10x's more than an assistant.
I have been a dental assistant for 25years. I wish someone would have told me to go to hygiene school.
Also, as a hygienist, as you get older, you are still valuable if you were looking for a new job. As a 53 year old, looking for an assistant job is a slap in the face. I have worked front office for 15 of those years, and it is easier work, but the position becomes all about "money" and keeping the schedule filled....sometimes, you can only do so much. The stress from the Dr is alot less on the assistants, and next to nothing on the Hygienist.... Go for hygiene, or go into a different field!

your response was a mimick of my life - font desk new manager in ga.money money money, stress stress stress schedule schedule schedule. hyg have it made. they work 4 days a wk less hrs less stress and front desk in ga avg. 17-22 hr, dental asst 12-18 hr hyg 28-45 hr... hyg school all the way.

105 months ago

TheUrbanToothFairy in Duluth, Georgia said: I was a dental assisting instructor for a year and a half here in Atlanta, Ga. I've been in the dental field for almost 11 years now. I've been a dental assistant, lead assistant, instructor and now a scheduling cordinator/treatment plan coordinator. Dental assisting has opened many doors for me. The best part about assisting is the diversity and the opportunities to excel professionally. I currently make $17.75 at my new position and I'm set to make $18.50 at my 3 month eval next month and I know I should be happy with that but, my office manager let it slip today that our dental hygienist makes $325 a day. All of the sudden I'm feeling like it's time to go back to school. Dental Hygiene is a highly respected profession, pays well, and the stress is minimal.

i am a new office manager in ga, saw your post. hyg in avg in ga start within their first yr btwn 27-37. we are not even that "big" of an office we have 1 hyg chair, 2 drs chairs, 1 dr 1 da 1 hyg and i just got a new fd employee and we are doing about 85-125 monthly. hyg has it made. the school is just so long and no night or part time programs which is so hard to do....its a shame i too would love to go into hyg. front desk avgs 15-25 hr currently at 20 with some bonuses. but the front desk pressure is not quite worth the money in my mind.

105 months ago

Kebra said: I just recently graduated in June 07. Currently I live in Connecticut I am looking for a Dental Assistant job in the Atlanta Georgia area I have been looking at the Atlanta Journal paper and googling serveral employers sending my resume as you all proberly know everybody wants experienced Dental Assistant I am working with an agency so I am getting as much diverse experience as I can. Any one know any agencies in Georgia preferrably Atlanta area that hire new grads?

email your resume ashpay123@hotmail.com - office manager out of one practice with two locations

105 months ago

crcajo30 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have the same issue however I am soon to be 30 yrs old. I've been a stay at home mom for six years. I decided to go to college to obtain my Assoc degree in Dental Hygiene in the Fall of 2006. I've completed all of my prerequisites for the course, and recently applied for the DH calss of 2009. Since the competition is so thick for DH school, I decided to take a 10 week course in Dental Assisting just to get my foot in the door. When I completed the course I was 6 mos pregnant with my son so it's been 7 mos since I completed the course. I finished the course with the top three in my class. The class took place in an actual dental office on Saturdays and we practiced takink alginate impressions, x-rays, rubber dam placement, instrument transfer technique (just to name a few) on each other, not on dolls. I do feel that I have experience. I waited unitll the first of the year (for my son to be 3 mos) to start looking for work and have had no luck landing an interview. I would like some suggestions on how office managers screen resumes for potential dental assiting candidates. I would also like to know what is a reasonable amount to ask for if I do get an interview. I am well groomed and dressed in a black pant-suit whenever I am dropping off my resume. I drive around to dental offices in the west cobb and south atl area to briefly introduce myself to the office managers with my portfolio in hand and enclosed I have a picture of myself on my resume with a coverletter printed on ivory water marked resume paper. I am always smiling and polite but it seems llike they don't ever want to be bothered and they never seem to like me too much. Am I doing something wrong?

I am a new office manager out of one practice with two locations in alpharetta and dunwoody. you can send me your resume to view. I will be honest a lot of offices struggle with da's with the lack of organizational skills, business. ashpay123@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mercy in Crown Point, Indiana

105 months ago

I am sooo discouraged right now. I have been wanting to get my Dental Hygiene Degree for about 8 years now. I have been a Dental Assistant for basically my entire adult life. Every time I think I'm about to enter a program, some obstacle appears.
The very respected Indiana University that I was considering applying to, only takes a 3.4 minimum G.P.A. Is it just this school that is so competitive ? I am thinking I should just stick with assisting, considering my last job I earned $20 an hour.

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

104 months ago

It might be the school but I know getting into any DH Program is very competitive!!! I have a BS in Biology and working on my MPH. I have been accepted into a Dental Assisting Program and I am having a hard time tyring to figure out if this is what I want to do. Then I was thinking about doing DH next year and just taking some classes over this coming year. It is really hard to decide what to do. I wish you luck....

Mercy in Crown Point, Indiana

104 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: It might be the school but I know getting into any DH Program is very competitive!!! I have a BS in Biology and working on my MPH. I have been accepted into a Dental Assisting Program and I am having a hard time tyring to figure out if this is what I want to do. Then I was thinking about doing DH next year and just taking some classes over this coming year. It is really hard to decide what to do. I wish you luck....

Thanks...If you have a degree in Biology then it sounds like you would do well in the Dental Hygiene program. If I were you, I would pass up the Dental Assisting program and go for Dental Hygiene. ($15-$20) per hour doesn't sound as good as ($35-$40).

104 months ago

I was thinking the same thing :) I love dentistry either way and was looking at going to dental school in a few years to become an orthodontist.. You should take some courses to get started and talk to the faculty there and apply... The only reason I was thinking Dental Assisting is because there are alot of job offerings here and since I am interested in orthodontics, being a orthodontic assistant would be really interesting to me... :) decisions decisions decisions :)

Ash in Edmonton, Alberta

104 months ago

Stay away from Dental Assisting!!!! I have been in the field for 4 years. Dentists are crazy for one thing I have never met a sane normal person who is a dentist.

This job is a very stressful! There is an unreasonable amount of work to be done in a short amount of time. You are stuck on the Doctors time, as in unpredictable when you will get off work, when or if you will get any break at all, and the dentist can take time off for lengthy periods of time if they so wish (weeks even months). Dentists do not have to follow what would be the work standards for the state or province y ou live in. If you get hurt on the job guess what your not covered for it! Dentists tend to have a superiority complex they are right about everything, I was once told I was cutting bread wrong, the dentist immediately took over my lunch!
I 100% do not recommend being an assistant and so do all other dental assistants I have worked with!
There are a lot of job offers because it is a crappy job. The rate of pay varies from $14-$25 dollars per hour but NO BENEFITS no medical coverage, no overtime pay, no paid sick time, no vacation pay, no bonuses, however dental work is sometimes covered.
If you are considering a dental field do hygiene! The pay rate is triple ( $40-65/hour here). Well worth the extra schooling. If that still isn't what your looking for diagnostic radiographers (take x-rays 2 years school), diagnostic sonography (ultrasound 2-3 years school) and Medical Lab tech. (2 years of school) are all good professions with a starting wage of $25+ ( the top for dental assistants)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

cristy in Austin, Texas

104 months ago

i am trying to find a place to do my externshiip hours i was fired from my first site because i wasnt taking x-rays the reason i wasnt taking any xrays was because i am pregnat and my ob told me i wasnt supposed to.Anyways iam just 19 and i took the dental assistant field because it was only 7 months training and i was getting pressured from my dad to continue school well i finish my 6 months in school and like i said i am on my last month which is completing my 150 hours i am just so tired of looking for a site i just want to give up but yet i dont want to disapoint my family specialy my dad. WHAT DO I DO??????????

Tamela in Austin, Texas

104 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I was thinking the same thing :) I love dentistry either way and was looking at going to dental school in a few years to become an orthodontist.. You should take some courses to get started and talk to the faculty there and apply... The only reason I was thinking Dental Assisting is because there are alot of job offerings here and since I am interested in orthodontics, being a orthodontic assistant would be really interesting to me... :) decisions decisions decisions :)

Orto Assisting is great! I love my doctor,and the pay is better than what I have seen listed for Dental Assisting.

104 months ago

Tamela in Austin, Texas said: Orto Assisting is great! I love my doctor,and the pay is better than what I have seen listed for Dental Assisting.

I was also looking at Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. I know there are always job openings for dental assistants and there are few for dental hygienists. Are you a certified orthodontic assistant? If so, did you take both the CDC and the COA exams at the same time or did you have to wait? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Anchorage, Alaska

104 months ago

I have been a Dental Assistant for 8 years now and I think it is a great feild choice. As for comments that you are not covered by workmans comp if injured that is completely false for the states and anyone posting a comment on here that may affect someones future should get their facts straight! Also I have worked, in both Wasington State and Alaska, in 4 different dental offices and have filled in at several more. Every single one of them offered medical insurance and dental was provided by the dentist I was working for free of charge. I have always been offered vacation time and sick leave as well as continuing education incentives. Sure, there are going to be those dentist who are crazy and throw things etc...but you will find that in any field you choose. For the most part working in a dental office is like having a second family. You are subject to the doctors time...however, that is why you should ask about Drs hours and schedules at your interview. his field is not for everyone. If you are someone who is not able to multitask and handle a busy schedule then it is probably not for you. I personally love it and it makes the days go by so much faster so that I am home with my family before I know it. It is your choice which kind of office you choose to work in. For exsmple in a bigger office with more assistants you are going to have more flexibility with your schedule. Where in a smaller office they really need someone reliable. It all depends on what works for you!!! And please don't post comments without all the info!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Anchorage, Alaska

104 months ago

Shay in Vandalia, Ohio said: What are some of the schools that are "RIP OFF"s????????????????

Any that are not accepted by the American Dental Association

103 months ago

You speak the truth girlfriend!!!! Every word !!!! So glad you are practicing your rights to free speech considering someone " A Dentist" was trying to tell us what we could or could not say on our own forum. Again I agree with everything you said. :} Nichole

103 months ago

Angela in Anchorage, Alaska said: I have been a Dental Assistant for 8 years now and I think it is a great feild choice. As for comments that you are not covered by workmans comp if injured that is completely false for the states and anyone posting a comment on here that may affect someones future should get their facts straight! Also I have worked, in both Wasington State and Alaska, in 4 different dental offices and have filled in at several more. Every single one of them offered medical insurance and dental was provided by the dentist I was working for free of charge. I have always been offered vacation time and sick leave as well as continuing education incentives. Sure, there are going to be those dentist who are crazy and throw things etc...but you will find that in any field you choose. For the most part working in a dental office is like having a second family. You are subject to the doctors time...however, that is why you should ask about Drs hours and schedules at your interview. his field is not for everyone. If you are someone who is not able to multitask and handle a busy schedule then it is probably not for you. I personally love it and it makes the days go by so much faster so that I am home with my family before I know it. It is your choice which kind of office you choose to work in. For exsmple in a bigger office with more assistants you are going to have more flexibility with your schedule. Where in a smaller office they really need someone reliable. It all depends on what works for you!!! And please don't post comments without all the info!!!

This Forum is open for everyone to discuss whatever they wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

christy in Roanoke, Virginia

103 months ago

Hi Im Christy I live in Roanoke Va. Ive been a dental assistant for 16 years.Heres some good advice.Find a college that offers Dental Radiation Safety Coarses. Take it. Its only a few days. Then get CPR certified 1 day.Then look for jobs in your area that are willing to train.They might even pay for your certifications.Its worth a try. I did it years ago and never had to go to Dental Assistant school. I made good $ and had flexible hours too. Good Luck and God Bless.Email me to let me know please.Its worth a try. Christy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

christy in Roanoke, Virginia

103 months ago

i agree why was this e-mail sent to me?

Annabelle in Beaverton, Oregon

103 months ago

Hi Katti,

My advice to you make sure dental assisting is for you. You should job shadow at a dental office and see if that's what you want to do. I went to Concorde and I wouldn't recommend them at all you don't get much hands on at all, you get more book work. PCC is a good place and it is inexpensive. Concorde will cost you about 12k and pcc about 5k. The pay when you get out of school is about 12-15an hr not worth it. I hated dental assisting for the amount of work you do and the pay it is not worth it.
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

103 months ago

Annabelle in Beaverton, Oregon said: Hi Katti,

My advice to you make sure dental assisting is for you. You should job shadow at a dental office and see if that's what you want to do. I went to Concorde and I wouldn't recommend them at all you don't get much hands on at all, you get more book work. PCC is a good place and it is inexpensive. Concorde will cost you about 12k and pcc about 5k. The pay when you get out of school is about 12-15an hr not worth it. I hated dental assisting for the amount of work you do and the pay it is not worth it.
Hope this helps.

I also was looking at dental assisting. But the pay is a big concern for me. I have a BS in Biology and I do want to work in the dental field but getting paid 12-15 an hour is not going to cut it for me. Do you still work in the dental field?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.