Continuing Education Hours

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

rvknmb in Burleson, Texas

48 months ago

I have just gotton my RDA and i am having a huge problem with getting my continuing education hours because everyone wants at least one hundred bucks for it and plus they want you to travel to another city for 2 or 3 days. Tha means cost for gas and a hotel stay. It is looking like I cannot afford to be a dental assistant. The cost of maintaning your lisence is too high for the pay! Anyone got any suggestions?

Here is where i have tried.
Texas State Board of Dental Examiners-they just said you have to get 6 hours but didn't tell you how to get it.

American Dental Assistants Association-they wanted $100 bucks before they woudl give any info.

GSE.com - they are EXPENSIVE! $85 bucks for 6 hours pluss having to drive to Dallas during the work week. That is an hour from me.

American Siminar Instite - Same here.
Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

48 months ago

CE hrs are usually paid by your employer. The dr and hygienist has to get
their CE hrs also so most offices make it a group thing/ outing. There are also
online sites where you can read and then take a quiz.

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

48 months ago

My employers never paid me for CE hours, they even got mad, if I tried to remind them that THEY HAVE TO BE PROUD OF MY CDA, which is rare in Florida...lol...such cheap guys...Well, I do my CEs every year any way. It's a question of my PRINCIPLE now. I'm such a PRINCIPLE PERSON. Who ever, who "tries" me, usually lose...ha-ha-ha! How I do my CE? Go to DANB( Dental Assistant National Board). They have PDEP. Ask them about it. It's an Exam(about 50 questions). Very easy. You can do it at home. It gives you 12 necessary CE hours per year. How it works? They give you 5 articles. You read them, then answer questions. I do PDEP already 7 years. Good thing,never ever headaches with CE!!!

48 months ago

By the way...do u want a "funny story" how one of my "mad' dentists wanted to make me "drop" my CDA certification? What he did, when we did CPR( in the office) he told manager not to give me my CPR certification for already 2 month. I had to update my certification...and can u imagine(it's like a special) DAND sent me on audit. I was thinking I die, I couldn't sleep at night. My dentist laughed at my face,enjoying my suffering. I had no choice, I called to CPR instructor and ask him, already crying, to talk to my manager. He was amazed of all of that. He's a very nice person. He called my manager and my "mentally sick" dentist. I don't know, what he said to them, but they gave me my certificate next day. And I resolve that problem. I have many stories, like that in my "chest", I would put them on my Blog...

Lemi in College Station, Texas

48 months ago

Thank you so much for your help Kathy. I order my PDEP packet already. My CDA expirein October, so I was driving myself crazy thinking about how to earn my CE.

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: By the way...do u want a "funny story" how one of my "mad' dentists wanted to make me "drop" my CDA certification? What he did, when we did CPR( in the office) he told manager not to give me my CPR certification for already 2 month. I had to update my certification...and can u imagine(it's like a special) DAND sent me on audit. I was thinking I die, I couldn't sleep at night. My dentist laughed at my face,enjoying my suffering. I had no choice, I called to CPR instructor and ask him, already crying, to talk to my manager. He was amazed of all of that. He's a very nice person. He called my manager and my "mentally sick" dentist. I don't know, what he said to them, but they gave me my certificate next day. And I resolve that problem. I have many stories, like that in my "chest", I would put them on my Blog...

Sounds crazy - mentally sick- lol . I have crazy stories too. But mostly involving romance type issues.

48 months ago

DentalGuru2009, it's so funny! lol. I saw how my " crazy" dentist had spanked the manager all time, if it's considered to be a "romantic issue" lol. If he didn't do that...she did it to herself...crazy ah...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.