Dental interviews

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

thivana in Winchester, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Thank you Claire! You are absolutely right that they want more permanent employees. Oh well, I could still work for 2 more years and there would be no guarantee from them that they would keep me there for 2 years. I don't know why they want somebody to commit since they can't promise you anything.
Anyways, I am more happy now, I have received an offer as a part-time dental assistant but I don't think I am taking it because I have had a couple interviews at big biotech companies and I am hoping to get a job there because they pay more and offer benefits.
PS: I graduated from a very good private school in MA. My English is good, there has never been any issues with it. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marina in Redwood City, California

36 months ago

Dear People here:

I have kind of the same situation. I have just gotten my RDA lisence and had an interview with one of the busy dental offices. They told me they will call me for the working intervew. What should I expect? I don't feel like doing all day "free work". Should I negotiate the working interview hours or should I just go for the whole day?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

36 months ago

Marina in Redwood City, California said: They told me they will call me for the working intervew. What should I expect? I don't feel like doing all day "free work". Should I negotiate the working interview hours or should I just go for the whole day?

Marina, I would never ever do a working interview for free. If they call that "observation", don't buy that. You spend your time and it must be paid. Respect yourself and your time. If they don't tell you anything, always ask them before work! how much they are willing to pay you for the working interview. Check the salary range in your area. Don't agree to work if they want to pay you much lower. Usually working interviews are paid slightly higher than your future salary would be or at the same level not less. Remember, they give you a check and it's your responsibility to pay taxes off it. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

thivana in Winchester, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Marina in Redwood City, California said: Dear People here:

I have kind of the same situation. I have just gotten my RDA lisence and had an interview with one of the busy dental offices. They told me they will call me for the working intervew. What should I expect? I don't feel like doing all day "free work". Should I negotiate the working interview hours or should I just go for the whole day?

Marina, don't make the same mistake like I did. I think you should ask them if it's going to be a working interview so you can prepare yourself accordingly. If so, ask how many hours they want you to work and how much they usually pay per hour for a working interview. Pretend that is a normal thing to get paid.
If they still wouldn't pay you and say it's something good for you to know how the office works, tell them you can only dedicate 2 hours of being unpaid. That way they can feel that you want that job and are willing to learn more about their practice and dental team.
Good luck!

Marina in Redwood City, California

36 months ago

thivana in Winchester, Massachusetts said: Marina, don't make the same mistake like I did. I think you should ask them if it's going to be a working interview so you can prepare yourself accordingly. If so, ask how many hours they want you to work and how much they usually pay per hour for a working interview. Pretend that is a normal thing to get paid.
If they still wouldn't pay you and say it's something good for you to know how the office works, tell them you can only dedicate 2 hours of being unpaid. That way they can feel that you want that job and are willing to learn more about their practice and dental team.
Good luck!

Thank you Lora and Thivana. Your suggestions were very helpful. I also came to the USA about 10 years ago with BS in Art. But I love med. and dental field. So I graduated from the community college and got RDA license. I don't put my BS in the resume for the dental job. I did this mistake before. I am glad the college helped me with good resume.
Wish everybody luck.

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

36 months ago

Okay, I have found that working interviews they only jerk you around. First one I did they stiffed me- NO PAY.
Then the other one I did ( diff office) They told me they pay minimum and every additional w.i. they up the salary $1. WHAT!?
Nonsense that I don't buy, sorry.
Turns out a check came in the mail for the first day , but never for the second day. Again, got stiffed.

I had already decided not to pursue the job. Now I tell them - I DON'T DO WORKING INTERVIEWS- I TEMP. and my salary is ____.

Lora in La Jolla, California

36 months ago

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin said: Okay, I have found that working interviews they only jerk you around.

I've had three working interviews so far. First two were paid $20 and $21 per hour. One interview was more than three years ago. After both interviews I was hired. When I came for the third interview, I asked them how much they wanted to pay me. The answer was $15 an hour. That was maybe OK for a new grad but not for RDA with experience. I said that it wasn't going to work for me and left the office. Sorry, don't work for $15 an hour, especially when people have a long list of requirements. I would rather work for a temporary agency for $20 an hour.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.