Didnt get paid for working interveiw

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

cappygirl62 in Altamonte Springs, Florida

60 months ago

Does anybody know the laws in FL. regarding working interveiws? I've always been paid before! I worked 9 hrs. and didnt get paid, I did it because I need the job. Everything else they offer is really good.Just dont get that????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Did you get hired? If you did, is it worth fighting over? If you didn't get hired, then send them a certified letter - stating the Florida statute regarding pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cappygirl62 in Altamonte Springs, Florida

60 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: Did you get hired? If you did, is it worth fighting over? If you didn't get hired, then send them a certified letter - stating the Florida statute regarding pay.

still waiting to hear, just curious about it and if its against the law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

There is a forum somewhere about daycare workers getting into those situations. The scenario became that they were being used as free labor - just one after the other.

I would keep it simple. E-mail the person you interviewed with, ask her if they are still considering you, and then ask simply, "I worked nine hours for you in a working interview. Am I going to be paid for my time?" It's non confrontational, no ackwardness, and it's documented. At least go from there.

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: There is a forum somewhere about daycare workers getting into those situations. The scenario became that they were being used as free labor - just one after the other.

I would keep it simple. E-mail the person you interviewed with, ask her if they are still considering you, and then ask simply, "I worked nine hours for you in a working interview. Am I going to be paid for my time?" It's non confrontational, no ackwardness, and it's documented. At least go from there.

Thumbs up! That is good advice. Everything has to be documented whenever possible cause if they can S---- you, they will

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pauline in Valdosta, Georgia

60 months ago

cappygirl62 in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Does anybody know the laws in FL. regarding working interveiws? I've always been paid before! I worked 9 hrs. and didnt get paid, I did it because I need the job. Everything else they offer is really good.Just dont get that????

weither your are hired or not they need to pay you for your time, I had that problem before so what I did is call them left a message, after they never got back to me I called the board of labor, they enforce them to pay you, they can only enforce at least minimum wage, but you can tell them what you where supposed to get paid.
You will end up getting paid, for some reason FL employers like to pull that but once you get labor involved you'll get paid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pauline in Valdosta, Georgia

60 months ago

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois said: Thumbs up! That is good advice. Everything has to be documented whenever possible cause if they can S---- you, they will

call labor board they WILL enforce it, and have to pay you that is why it is called a working interview

Jenny in New Port Richey, Florida

60 months ago

Typical dentist in Florida.

Would you really want to go work somewhere that this happened right off the bat?

I would give them a call "reminding" them you worked 9 hours and when can you expect a check, or when is a convenient time for you to stop and pick it up. If they blow you off call the labor board.

This behavior from dentists is utterly ridiculous.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

The problem is, the girl still wants - and needs a job. She's hoping to get the job. If she calls the labor board right now, she won't get the job.

Even if she got the job with the dentist, and it doesn't last very long, it's still more money right this minute than unemployment, if she's getting unemployment.

Cappy, that's for you to decide. Wait another week (no more), if you get hired, ask about the money. If you don't get hired in another week, you probably won't. And if they don't pay you for your nine hours after you have inquired, then go to the dept. of labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Domo in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

well, put that dentists name on your resume and enter "internship". If that dentists has a problem with it, just tell her you assumed that was the exchange since you hadn't recieved pay.
More dentists names on your res is always helpful

60 months ago

Domo, that's a good idea too.

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

60 months ago

Domo- sweet idea.

60 months ago

Tell you what. Since he's that much of a jerk. Say you were there a week, non pay. The dentist is already a jerk. If anyone calls, and he complains that you're using him on your resume, then goes into how long you were there, you say a week - and he says one day and he didn't pay you - it's obvious he's a jerk. You can say you were there for a week, and no one will question it.

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama

60 months ago

I am glad I am on the forum... been an assistant for over 30 years, and I never heard of a working interview.. thanks for keeping me informed.I am located here in the south never heard of it.

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

54 months ago

Yeah, it's very typical for Florida dentists not to pay for working interviews. I had that experience too. I called them, I sent a letter. Nothing helped...silence from them. I was curios, and went on their Website...and what I saw there...a lot of patient's complaints! And all complaints about...money. Double charging, didn't verify insurance, and then didn't want to reimburse money. Offering treatment, that patients don't want at all and so on. So, I think, Lucky me!!! that they didn't hire me! And what I think now, ADA has to do something with this problem in Florida.

54 months ago

Oh, by the way. I know 2 dentists here, who believe, that dental assistants don't deserve to be paid for first 2 weeks of their work...I'm not joking. They believe in that, because, they think, that a new assistant slows down all the process in the office first 2 weeks, since they are getting used to a new office...it's so ridiculous...hahaha. I'm telling you they're not OK...I mean dentist's mental health!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

54 months ago

Ok, are they OLD guys? Like old school dentists?? What demographic are they?
What demographic are the assistants out there in Fl ?
So strange, it seems like a foreign country- ha.
Been in the field so long and was well trained , I can't imagine the attitude there.
I guess I would just find some other occupation if it came to that.
Thankfully, the midwest has many friendly people.

54 months ago

One is old, and he was born here. Another is an oriental guy, and he's a new dentist. Honestly, oriental dentists(most of them) don't like to pay at all...so funny! Why do they think, people have to work for them for free? I don't know their culture very well, however heard,that they have a lot of unusual for us "staff" and very different life stile. I remember an Indian new(young) dentist, who didn't want to pay me for a working interview...I insisted, since I realize, that he'll not hire me any way, and he paid me than $120 for a working interview!(no too bad). You think right, most assistants here are from other countries, a lot of them from Latin America, speak Spanish, don't speak English very well. Most of them don't have any Legal documents to live here at all. They are agree for any payment. They don't ask much. They spoiled dentists here. Since a lot of Hispanic people live in Florida, speaking Spanish is preferable in Dentistry now here. That is why a level of wages in Florida is very low now in all professions.

54 months ago

If you travel to Miami, for example, it's even worth. Is is...like a foreign country, because no one speak English there at all everywhere, in all the services. Do you think they don't learn English?...no, they do. And some of them speak English no too bad,...but...they'll pretend they don't, and insist you speak Spanish or bring someone who does, that to translate for him/her. How do you like that? Florida becomes Spanish spoken...Congratulations...what's next?...

Kyle in Orlando, Florida

43 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida: you don't write in English very well at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Kyle in Orlando, Florida said: Kathy in Orlando, Florida: you don't write in English very well at all.

Yes her English is horrible.

Ashley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Yes her English is horrible.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.