I HATE DENTAL ASSISTING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 457)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

anonymous in Arlington, Texas

47 months ago

Wow,,I was reading all the comments and I have to ask why all the negativity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ka Yang in Plant City, Florida

47 months ago

I feel that within any field there will be negativity. Prove to that practice that you are an ASSET to them!! Bad dental assistants come and go but the good ones stay for good. Take your time and find a good dentist. There are good ones out there!! Im not just going to walk into any office and take the job. I know that I cannot work in an office and NOT be comfortable. Its about yourself too, not just some jerk that you are working for. Take some pride in Dental Field and go find yourself a better doc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jESSICA in Spokane, Washington

46 months ago

Ka Yang in Plant City, Florida said: I feel that within any field there will be negativity. Prove to that practice that you are an ASSET to them!! Bad dental assistants come and go but the good ones stay for good. Take your time and find a good dentist. There are good ones out there!! Im not just going to walk into any office and take the job. I know that I cannot work in an office and NOT be comfortable. Its about yourself too, not just some jerk that you are working for. Take some pride in Dental Field and go find yourself a better doc.

WOW NOW I AM SCARED....I AM HALF WAY THROUGH DENTAL ASSISTING SCHOOL...AND SO FAR I LOVE LEARNING ABOUT EVERYTHING...IM IN x-RAY NOW...I HAVE ABOUT 6 MONTHS TO GO. mY PLAN IS TO GO TO dENTAL HYGENIST SCHOOL LATER AFTER I GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN THE DENTAL FEILD...BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THIS NEGATIVE TALK....MAYBE I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER CAREER. I HAVE MY AA IN BUSNINESS MANAGEMENT BUT THAT DIDNT DO ANYTHING FOR ME SO I CHOOSE THE DENTAL FEILD NOT JUST TO HELP PEOPLE. BUT TO HAVE GREAT BENEFITS AND BECAUSE I WANT TO WORK IN THE HEALTH CARE FEILD BECAUSE IT SEEMS IT IS A STABLE JOB. I AM A SINGLE MOTHER GOING TO SCHOOL AND IT IS HARD, I HOPE THIS IS ONLY SAD DEPRESSED PEOPLE ON HERE. I AM IN GREAT SHAPE I LOOK PROFESSIONAL I HOPE THAT HELPS ME FINDING A JOB. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS FUNNY BUT I KNOW THATS WHAT DENTISTS LOOK FOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Waters

46 months ago

Aman! :) you seem like someone i would want to work with! You seem like an ally! Haha I want your email in case questions arise.:) I'm gonna be taking a rda course and despite the negativity that's displayed here, your comment brings hope to this forum.:) peoples negative attitudes play a part in any job place aside from being a hermite. :P and even the you might start yelling at * billy bob Joe * lol jk. Dentists do seem to tend toward the same god complex as surgeons or doctors... but most are just as unhappy as the rest of the workforce in America and the rest of the world because of the lack of Love Christ shown on Gal-Galltha, in them. The key to such oppressive forces in the work place is to not let the root of bitterness take root in Ur heart from the people you work with/for.

If you don't like cleaning or being an rda by all means find another job. That's completely understandable. But hating the job and not liking the people you work for are two totally different things. :)

Ragemwaters@yahoo.com. :) add me Shannon, maybe you can give me pointers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

King & Queen in Elk River, Minnesota

46 months ago

I hate my assisting JOB!!! have been doing it for 16 years! I have only worked with a-holes..and control freaks..who make you feel like crapp! My self esteem is in the toilet. The Dr's i worked for...said things like....you seem unfocused....or..they get mad because i couldn't read their minds....no matter how i tried...nothing worked! and its ofcourse ALL MY FAULT! I feel like there is something wrong with me!! Like i can't seem to get it together..with this career! I give up....i think i will go back to cleaning houses!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Domo in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Don't worry. You're not alone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Arlington, Texas

46 months ago

WOW...WHY WOULD YOU WORK SO LONG DOING SOMETHING YOU HATE SO MUCH????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mktbhat in Whidbey Island, Washington

46 months ago

Some of us are nervous about change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

46 months ago

Just find a dentist that is better. There are nice ones out there that value
their staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sofia Medina in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

thats one thing I never understood from other dental assistants, How can you work for someone for so long, seriously I got bored after 3 years of being in the same practices, with the same dentist, same staff and cant picture being in a practice longer than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Niagara Falls, Ontario

45 months ago

angela in Calgary, Alberta said: dental assisting is the most humiliating and depreciating job ever, wish I had never even took the course.

Yes it can be. I have been a CDA for 12 years now...had bosses and coworkers I loved in BC where I am from....here in Ontario where my husband and I moved 2 years ago, I have walked out on some freaks....lets see about 6 or 7 different ones in the area!!!! This from havig 2 years and then 5 years steadily in the profession with 4 other dentists in the past, so it couldn't just be me!!! Now I am done with dentistry and am looking at a brand new career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Retired DA in Albuquerque, New Mexico

45 months ago

kyle in North Tonawanda, New York said: Man if only I knew what I was getting myself into. My college advisor told me to become dental assistant. I followed her advice and I finished the assisting program last year. I didn't know how much more money hygienists make until I started working. In school we were lead to think that the assistant position wasn't below the hygienist. It was just different. No one ever told me that the hygienist is paid much more and that the assistant has to assist them too. And they have only gone to school one year more than I have!!! Why didn't my advisor tell me to go for hyg.?? Dental assisting is a joke, one of the assistants here is a joke, no education or experience, all of her x rays must be retaken, etc. Now I am supporting myself and can't go back to school. Ugh please will someone go back in time and tell me to apply to hygiene school! I love the dental field but the dental assistant is a ridiculous position. Why make people go to school for it if you can just hire someone off the street and show them how to do it in a few weeks?

THE SCHOOL DID NOT EXPLAIN THESE JOBS VERY WELL

I total understand your position. Thats why i dedcided to leave working for some old dentist and work for myself and still be in the dental field. My own teeth whitening Business ! So easy and you know everyone wants their teeth white with out pay a lot of money. I make a much better salary ! Average $495 a day and love it and do it my way ! If you want to try it, go to who helped me get started. www.smileprosnm.com. They were great and very helpful and honest. They helped me get my business off and running. Even helped me advertise!
This way your still in the industry but making more money with no additional schooling .
Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Yep, I'm done with Dental Assisting. Fired after 5 days...
i worked front desk
plus chairside
plus baby sat the doc's 1 year old kid.
She heard through the grape vine by the other dentist he saw me put my hands in a patients mouth without gloves. Lie.
She asked why didn't i sweep the floor after being told by her husband. I was never told and didn't ever even see a vacuum cleaner, but then again i was only there for 5 days.

12 hour shifts with no lunch or break. Screw this, i'm out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neophite DA in Marysville, Washington

45 months ago

"....12 hour shifts with no lunch or break. Screw this, i'm out."

Well, you can certainly do better than that. Seems front and back office in that practice are not very well coordinated if they book their days in such a way no one ever breaks or eats. That's a good way for people to end up on the floor in a low blood sugar coma!

Hope you find a nice office, I'm sure there are plenty out there...and remember, "Water finds it's own level," so what you give you'll get.

:o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha Falcone in Englewood, Colorado

45 months ago

kyle in North Tonawanda, New York said: Man if only I knew what I was getting myself into. My college advisor told me to become dental assistant. I followed her advice and I finished the assisting program last year. I didn't know how much more money hygienists make until I started working. In school we were lead to think that the assistant position wasn't below the hygienist. It was just different. No one ever told me that the hygienist is paid much more and that the assistant has to assist them too. And they have only gone to school one year more than I have!!! Why didn't my advisor tell me to go for hyg.?? Dental assisting is a joke, one of the assistants here is a joke, no education or experience, all of her x rays must be retaken, etc. Now I am supporting myself and can't go back to school. Ugh please will someone go back in time and tell me to apply to hygiene school! I love the dental field but the dental assistant is a ridiculous position. Why make people go to school for it if you can just hire someone off the street and show them how to do it in a few weeks?

THE SCHOOL DID NOT EXPLAIN THESE JOBS VERY WELL

Well, firstly, you can't just become a dental hygienist right off the bat, they have to go through a LOT more schooling than dental assistants, and that's why programs that offer training to dental assistants are much shorter. No one said you had to be a dental assistant for life since it should've been made clear to you from the get go that anyone you work is going to want you to further your education. Of course, someone who complains about eveything that's bad is going to have a hard time and I can't believe someone even hired you in the first place. Aren't you making a decent income? Then the most obvious answer for you should be considering other investments while you still hate being a dental assistant. Why waste time on something that just doesn't make you feel good and if you DO stay, then it says a lot about you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha Falcone in Englewood, Colorado

45 months ago

jESSICA in Spokane, Washington said: WOW NOW I AM SCARED....I AM HALF WAY THROUGH DENTAL ASSISTING SCHOOL...AND SO FAR I LOVE LEARNING ABOUT EVERYTHING...IM IN x-RAY NOW...I HAVE ABOUT 6 MONTHS TO GO. mY PLAN IS TO GO TO dENTAL HYGENIST SCHOOL LATER AFTER I GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN THE DENTAL FEILD...BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THIS NEGATIVE TALK....MAYBE I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER CAREER. I HAVE MY AA IN BUSNINESS MANAGEMENT BUT THAT DIDNT DO ANYTHING FOR ME SO I CHOOSE THE DENTAL FEILD NOT JUST TO HELP PEOPLE. BUT TO HAVE GREAT BENEFITS AND BECAUSE I WANT TO WORK IN THE HEALTH CARE FEILD BECAUSE IT SEEMS IT IS A STABLE JOB. I AM A SINGLE MOTHER GOING TO SCHOOL AND IT IS HARD, I HOPE THIS IS ONLY SAD DEPRESSED PEOPLE ON HERE. I AM IN GREAT SHAPE I LOOK PROFESSIONAL I HOPE THAT HELPS ME FINDING A JOB. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS FUNNY BUT I KNOW THATS WHAT DENTISTS LOOK FOR.

Don't be so naive. Jesus. Give YOURSELF a chance first. Just because that person didn't like it, doesn't mean you'll hate it. Look how unethical all of these people are being. You don't talk bad about the offices you work for unless of course you're working for an unethical office. No wonder people have had such a hard time. You can always find a place to get your foot in the door. Dental assistants are in high demand. If people weren't hiring us right out of school, then there would BE NO DENTAL ASSISTANTS, thus, there wouldn't be all these complainers! They should be so lucky to even have a job in this economy. Don't give up and don't listen to the hype, just keep on truckin' girl and you'll make it. Just watch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Putting up with the job and having a job is one thing. But being fired for made up reasons by the dentist is another. This year, I have been hired 1 time, after multiple interviews, in just hopes of getting a chance. I finally got a job at a dentist office that was extremely close to my home.

Coming in everyday with a great attitude, learning front desk and chairside procedures that the staff prefer was extremely challenging, not to mention even being asked to babysit the boss' kid for a whole working day. As hard and long and as much as I sacrificed, I felt lucky for finally getting a job in the field I went to school for.

But the staff at the office would out-and-out lie complaining to the head dentist about things I had done, like not wearing gloves, or cleaning the room when a patient was present, or not sweeping the floor when asked. I was just as confused as the head dentist was about these allegations and started to cry and stated "I don't want to work in an office of liars anyway" before walking out.

I was only there for 5 days. I guess it's just human nature to feel threatened by the new kid, but that's how every work place is nowadays -- it's not how qualified you are for a job, it's all a popularity contest.

I've been traumatized by this experience and will not take this profession up again for a very long time if at all ever again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

goosh , thats horrible. Dont feel bad, Finding the right dentist, is like finding mr. right.....

Sounds to me you were a threat to the staff, Give it some time and reboost your self esteem.

Im glad you got out after five days, and not months or years with this kind of treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Arlington, Texas

45 months ago

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY LIKING YOUR JOB, AND SAYING GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT!!

I am thinking of going to dental assistant school,,but honestly after reading ALL the negitivity,,,it is scaring me!!!
I am 40ish and wonder if I really want to go though all the bs that I am hearing on here.
Do you think that I am too old to start a new career??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

Hello in Spokane...Who do u think you are?...trying to Shut up people's mouths. It's a FORUM! Ok? People have the right to say their opinion...Yell in your office...it's not your dentist's office!!!Learn how to write without mistakes first, B...CH. U are the One who humiliate assistants. And no one asked U ... what to do in their lives...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

And your threatening that our employer will learn how we talk about them...is just ridiculous! I can imagine...poor your assistants. Get off from Assistants Forum!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Fresno, California

44 months ago

I work in a Navy Base in a dental clinic.. I love it, private practice is the worst.. I don't ever want to go back, but I kind of have too.. You just have to find the right one.. Usually specialty offices pays you a little more.. But you just have to be patient.. Thats why those complaining should of volunteer in a dental office before wasting their money..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Rose, how did you get on a Navy Base? You can't imagine how many times I tried to do that...get to work in Dental Companies, or Base, or Army. I have a lot of experience...and all of them just ignore me...Do you have to have a friend there or someone who knows you, who can refer you? Or what should you do that to get there? I have a lot of PATIENCE, believe me. Only with all of my patience it doesn't work any way. Who exactly do they need? I just don't understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina

44 months ago

Shannon Pace Brinker in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: 5.) Increase your capacity to work with different personalities. God will often bless you
through people you don't even like.
6.) Remember, where you are does not define where you are going. THis will deliver you
from frustration. God has a plan for your life. Keep your eye on the prize. When Pete did
this he was able to walk in what other people sank.
7.) Get the optimum results with minimal confusion. Be effective without making the
environment worse.
8.) Don't be associated with the one group or clique. Labels limit your usefulness. GOd
wants you to work with everybody, but be labeled by nobody. Use all your gifts.
9.) Always keep your song near you. Keep a consecrated place in your soul. Hold on to with Him to lead and guide youuyour praise.
10.) Understand that God anoints you for trouble. Put on the whole armor of God before
going to work.

I want to be here for you at anytime and would love to keep in touch!
Take Care,
Shannon

Shannon,
Great words of wisdom, that will serve us all well if we listen and make a consious decision to be a light in a dark place. Dentists have the number one rate of occupational suicide. They desperately need to be lifted and prayed for.

Blessed are those who do these things.

T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

i just got a message that dentists have the highest rate of suicide?
I've never heard that. Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world, but their teeth are horrible. 2 years old's teeth rot like you'd never believe!

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

44 months ago

I have heard that about suicide rates.Some people say a myth,but I guess no way to prove it wrong.They are a sexually frustrated bunch, high strung,stressed out and moody. Maybe
thats why? Good people out there and they get attached to the girls on staff.Lots of divorce and infidelity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

yes, dentist have a high rate,i thought it was a myth too, but its not, I read it somewhere, it said mostly for financial reasons. After school they have pile's of loans and also to set up their practice involves more borrowing. Most of them are financially wreck, and to top it off they lack common courtesy towards their wife's, employees, and sometimes patients.

I agree to many of them have relationship problems. I worked for one for three years, and he was married twice in that time frame and divorced.. infidelity lol

44 months ago

I agree. I used to work for few dentists and non of them had good temper. Two of them were very successful in business, however it didn't make their temper better. I think, by some reason, they have sexual and personal problems. One of them had a good wife, very devoted to him, but he has slept with his manager for many years and was jealous to other girls, like they "belong" to him. It's so strange and nasty. I don't think they have high rate of suicide. Why should they? There are a lot of people without jobs and any support now. There is a reason to suicide! And it what happens...only you never find it in newspapers...this information is under control, believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina

44 months ago

The reason to be in dental assisting may vary for many, but the hippocratic oath should be at the forefront of each persons mind on the team:the health and well being of the patient. The other drama is not just in dental practices, but in all offices of all other professions.

44 months ago

Hippocratic Oath?! Would be good...but not, unfortunately, if dentists care only about their MONEY. Have you been in the situation when a person with PAIN and without any money comes to a dental office? What happens next? If he/she can afford 1PA and an exam...IF?...we do that. Next? We tell HOW MUCH it'll cost to EXT that tooth, because this person definitely can't afford to save that tooth...and then?...this person can't afford to EXT that tooth ether. Dentist prescribe him/her a medication for PAIN and antibiotic...and THAT's IT. Go OUT from the office...Next. About what HIPPOCRATIC OATH YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?...if people can't afford to care for their teeth, most of them. Most people don't have HEALTH INSURANCES now...Do you know what actually Hippocratic Oath is? It's when any doctor HAS TO help a patient even for FREE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

t in south carolina in Goose Creek, South Carolina

44 months ago

The dentist that I worked for did those cases as charities. My current dentist is the same kind of dentist. These are people of integrity, and there practices are successful as a result of their kind heartedness and care for all in their practice:we are talking charity to the patient, and staff trips annually. Streesful work conditions? Yes, but the patient's care is at the forefront.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Exactly...if your dentist is the person of "integrity", which is very, very rare...And if he/she lets you do it...What can I say? You are just is the luckiest Dental Assistant!

Dee in Niagara Falls, Ontario

44 months ago

I have been blessed to work for people of integrity in BC....can't find any dentists like this in Ontario so I am leaving the profession.....it's not worth it to me to hate my job every single day and if I can't practice dentistry with people I like and respect....it's not worth the stress for me!! Good luck everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

renee

44 months ago

I hate dental assisting so much! I would dread going to work everyday. I hate the way your treated I was disrespected so many times talked down to so many times and it was jus draining. I hate it so much. Id rather work at minimum wage again where im happy. Im still a yound girl 20 yrs old and I got my whole life ahead of me and I jus dnt want to be a DA. I worked as a dental asst for 1 yr exactly and i t was honestly the worst yr of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Yes. It's true. I used to work in other places, and no one treated me like that too. I had two managers before...they treated me like a PERSON and were helpful. They actually were wondered why I wanted to be a dental assistant. They asked me to stay. I was so stupid. I didn't understand, what was awaiting me ahead.

44 months ago

Exactly. Completely agree! We need a LABOR LAW. Then it should work better. Television is a great idea too!

sad da in Cambridge, Ontario

43 months ago

I have been a Dental Assistant for 4 years, and before doing this I did management for 11 years. I can honestly say that being a DA is the most stessful job I have ever had. It is very true when it is said that you are expected to "read minds", nothing that you do is right, and when the dentist makes a mistake, it is of course your fault. I have worked for a few different DDS's and there is only one who did not treat me like crap. Unfortunately, he had an assitant, and I was being trained to work with the new associate, who actually said to me " I am the dentist and you are the assistant, we are not equal". As far as finding another job, when you have a family and bills to pay quitting is not always an option. There are days that I truly believe I am going to have a nervous breakdown. The worst thing, is after they belittle you, you get to sit within 3 feet of them for 8-10 hours a day, you can't go and de-stress, or avoid them. It's a very difficult situation. As far as ignoring the way you are treated, it is almost implossible. It is like being in an abusive relationship, you are mistreated until you actually believe that nothing you do is ever right, and that extends into your own personal life. I was never the kind of person who was unconfident, however in the 4 years I have been doing this job, I question a lot about myself and my abilities to do things right. It is a no win situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Can I ask why are you guys Dental Assistant ? or why did you take the choice to be a Dental Assistant ?

If you say quitting is not an option than its not,but maybe switching jobs/dentist is, maybe the option is to change your attitude towards your job.
Now im just guessing, but i know by fact, that the dental assistant is just as psycho as the dentist for staying there.

Who in the right sound mind would bear and take all this crap from the dentist and including other staff members ?? hint...

Seriously ladies, develop some self respect and worth...

and Yes, its easier said then done

P.S

I have found that dentist know who they can play with and manipulate, if you allow yourself they will beat you over and over. ( not really physically, but mentally :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I agree, but not all of them. Some of them hate, if they can't manipulate you. And they try to get rid off you. Not all of assistants are good psychologists as not all of people. Most dentists are just bullies, like in schools. They are just immature people and don't know better way to communicate with employees. They have a lot of personal complexes and if they can see...you see that, they HATE you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CDA, RDA, RDH in Saginaw, Michigan

43 months ago

Hi, ironically while searching stories where dental staffs were being abused and what was being discussed. I found this. I have 20 years dental experience. I worked hard for an associates degree in DA. It took 3 years and I immediately took all the state and national exams.I work free for experience for the first 4 weeks before clinical so I would have a head start on the real world experiences.I was getting paid 4 weeks into clinicals which felt better, but back then assistants made 6.50/hr. When I started back after graduation the other assistant got pregnant and quit, so I became responsible for everything and worked 12-14 hour days. I did get paid time and a half and worked my way up through extremely stressful office politics. I was so stressed, I lost my appetite, couldn't sleep (still can't). Add to that migraines, tmjd, and some serious perfection issues and I had to leave. The dentist was great, we worked together for 8 years but I was 95 pounds and had to make a change. So I went to hygiene school, which took 5 years, one year on a waiting list for clinical ( that's really short now a days). I sub- assisted and tried endo for a year. I graduated with honors, had a job to jump back to only as a hygienist, but I was still an assistant, and I can deliver local anesthetic. So believe me when I say I am no "prima dona). I worked my butt off.Then the DDS I was working for moves to california without saying anything. I show up and the locks are changed.I get another job and I worked my butt off again for 7 years doing mostly hygiene but I subbed or filled in for everyone hygienists and assistants as well. Let me just say that neither job is easy. My back is a mess due to hygiene. There are lazy, lying. backstabbers in all offices that get away with it.The honest hard working ones, the self-motivated people who care will always get the shaft. A blond child, with no experience now has my job. I was let go so he could hire someone for less because HE didn't make his

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CDA, RDA, RDH in Saginaw, Michigan

43 months ago

production goal, is where that was suppose to leave off. So let me add a few more details while I can. The hygienists at my previous office had to keep track of their production and had an hourly, daily and monthly goal to reach. All with that fear that if you dropped below you'd get fired or something. I always blew the goal away even though he raised the amount of goal 10% a year. When I left we had to produce $160/hr. Yes hygienists get paid more but they have more advanced training and education, they can be sued and therefore have to carry liability insurance, and we are ridden severely to make production goals. This DDS was so lazy. He put all the pressure on the hygienists to improve production but he never did endo, extractions,or ortho. He didn't want to work hard,so he had double standards for hygiene. I love assisting and I love hygiene, but it's the work I love and some of the patients. I hate the office with a fiery vengeance. All offices. Because it's not the lazy DDS that controls the office it's all the lazy bitches. If you're good, you're a threat. Screw the "TEAM", I subbing from now on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

It's sad. We had courses " Medical errors and how to avoid them". The lawyer who gave a lecture said that everybody sued if dental error happened, not only dentists and hygienists...all the office is sued. However, DAs and front people don't have special insurance, that to protect themselves. So, I think if a dentist blames on assistant in front of the patient it's unfair totally. What about teamwork in this case? He just sets up DAs and puts them in troubles. You would say "Who is going to sue DA? She has nothing", but remember, the World consist of crazy people. Someone, a crazy patient doesn't care and sue everybody, and what assistants do???

can can in Durham, North Carolina

43 months ago

Anonymous in Kent, Ohio said: Have any of you complainers ever worked anywhere before you became a DA? EVERY boss is a jerk in today's economy. Every job I have ever had in ANY field has been run by an a**hole. That's just how it is. I am scratching my head wondering why you think it's endemic to the DA field ... ??

because this is a dental forum???? Why scratch your head?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Neophite DA in Marysville, Washington

43 months ago

can can in Durham, North Carolina said: because this is a dental forum???? Why scratch your head?

Very good point Anonymous in Kent. I'm in my early 50's and just got my first (probationary) job as a dental assistant after completing a course of study at a private institution. What is apparent to me is communication is critically important and because of our respective personalities and too many people's easily hurt feelings and a kind of entitlement mentality, I think being a DA is particularly difficult because the field is so fraught with necessary fine to minute details. If you get one aspect of a procedure wrong it can easily mean serious damage to the reparation of a dentist who has invested untold dollars and years in his or her practice. On top of that are those depending on the practice for their own livelihoods. How could anybody expect tempers not to flare?

In my employment I'm determined to remember 1) I don't know everything, so be slow to speak and quick to listen 2) to think of the good of the patient and the practice before my own desire to be right or to look perfect 3) the dentist is my employer and deserves my respect and my loyalty and my reasonable diligent service 4) never listen to or join in with any intra-office trash talk about anybody, especially the dentist!

There's a reputable dentist near who had a picketer carrying a very defamatory/incendiary sign out in front of his office who would not be reasonable with the dentist who personally went out front to see what remedy would satisfy this guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

t in south carolina in Goose Creek, South Carolina

43 months ago

The glass is half full or half empty...relationships are not easy. Having a humble heart, and a desire to do well, can go a long way. Appreciate that the boss will make a mistake now and then too. Forgiveness and mutual respect can make a valued employee. Keep positive!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tondi in Itta Bena, Mississippi

43 months ago

DENTAL ASSISTING IS A JOKE. Wow. I am so happy other Dental Assitants have finally woke up. Dang, why did it take me 13 years to figure this out? I feel like a freakin battered wife trapped in a foolish relationship and can't break free. It's always the Assistant being the "cornerstone" of the practice and never getting the recognition. DENTAL ASSISTING IS A JOKE. You waste time going to school, and some degenerate off the street can come in the office and make the same amount of pay as you can. Even if you did make $15.00 plus per hour, it will never compensate for the lack of respect and dignity you get from the Dentist. You work like a fool and he/she gets all the profit. I wasted 2 years of my life going to school for this profession. Why did no one tell me? I have worked in every specialty offered (Endo, Perio, Oral Surg, Prosthodontic, ect.) and I am still unhappy. I am certain it is time for me to move on with my life because I cant stand another day of doing anything dental. I am going to go broke just to go back to school for something! Anything! So yes, it is time to move on. And yes, I am an advocate for telling others, dont even think about becoming a Dental Assistant. Get a real career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tondi in Itta Bena, Mississippi

43 months ago

BREAK FREE PEOPLE!!! Tell that Dentist to kiss your grits! That's what he/she's missing in their life! Someone to remind them that their career is a joke. Your a freakin tooth doctor.....get a real medical liscense why dont ya.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Everything is absolutely TRUE! If I would know it before...I still pay my student's loan...it's unfair. Those schools just foolish people. If you guys would know what a crappy dentist's job I had a "chance" to see? They are definitely those who couldn't do medical schools...that's why they have too many complexes and disrespect to other people. They even don't care how good you are or how hard you work that to help them(dentists). DA is a JOKE ans the most ridiculous job!

skipper in Knoxville, Tennessee

43 months ago

Hello in Spokane, Washington said: If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

This comment is obviously coming from a "DENTIST" that DOES NOT appreciate dental assistants and their HARD WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

skipper in Knoxville, Tennessee

43 months ago

Hello in Spokane, Washington said: If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

This comment is obviously coming from a "DENTIST" that DOES NOT appreciate dental assistants and their HARD WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.