I HATE DENTAL ASSISTING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 457)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

45 months ago

Neophite DA in Marysville, Washington said: A dentist must complete four years of college and four years post graduate studies in dentistry and a satisfactory internship (closing in on NINE years). Anyway you slice it, that's a sizable and respectable chunk of a person's life for education in his or her chosen field.

It does not sound like you have a very high opinion of the discipline, which begs the question, why did you choose dental assisting in the first place? Do you think you telegraphed your disdain for the field to your employer and coworkers, and that may have had something to do with the bad outcome you experienced?

Just sayin'.....

:o)

I think everyone has a different level of tolorance. You can have good experiences and bad.personally mine are a mix.Right now I am being brain washed by a doctor who wants to marry me or just have sex with me. please , i put up with alot and on a daily basis if i want to keep my job i have to put up with a certain amout of his crap and i cant take it anymore!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Niagara Falls, Ontario

45 months ago

Hello in Spokane, Washington said: If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

Wow. Wish all of life was this simple....you seem to have it all worked out. Now if only I could find a way to get all of my bills including my student loans paid AFTER I walk out of this dental assisting job where I am verbally abused everyday because a curing light had the nerve to blow mid procedure......
how about you go and work in an environment that is horribly toxic everyday and then you can suck it up and not complain about it?? NO NOE that's right, not even an educated DENTIST has the RIGHT to have their poor behaviour excused, especially if they've been told and told again. The rest of us would be FIRED for acting that way, but I guess when you're a rich boss you can say and do whatever you like without fear of consequences, that's just how our society rolls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in New Port Richey, Florida

45 months ago

It's really sad to be "stuck" in a job where you are treated this way.

I think at this point, it's the economy. A job is a job. People need to keep their lights and water on, eat, put gas in the car, etc.

I have worked for some awesome dentists in the past, before I got out of the profession. There are a ton of nasty dentists out there. Treat their employees like crap. That's why I no longer assist. I loved it, I moved, and could not for the life of me find someone decent to work for.

It has nothing to do with "I'm the boss, suck it up."

Even in a bad economy there are great employers out there.

Poeple need to be treated with respect. Bottom line. Is it really that hard? I have seen a few dentists make it really hard. That's how they choose to run their business. It's too bad.

It would be so much more efficient if they could act decent and retain employees. Rather than bleeding money going through one assistant after another, after another.

In the long run, they are really slitting thier own throats. Treating employees poorly. The turnover of employees.It's costing them a bundle.

It's really too bad. Any sort of medical care should be about the patient. Period. There is way too much "drama" going on in so many offices. What ever happened to professionalism?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

Neophite DA from Washington. I've heard too many times, how many years "poor" dentists have to study and so on. Everybody knows that. We're not talking about that. We're talking about their attitude and ways to do business. It's a Dental Assistant's Forum. If you don't like negative opinions, don't read. Go to Hollywood Forum or anything else and have fun there. We're not talking about another professions ether, because it's DA forum. OK? I put my opinion here, and believe me, if assistants have an experience for many years, they can see and good and bad dentist's job. And it doesn't matter, how many years a dentist studied...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Neophite DA in Marysville, Washington

45 months ago

Hi Kathy in Cocoa, Florida,

So, are you saying dentals assistants who do not hate their jobs are not allowed to contribute to the board. Are you saying you don't want to hear anything positive about dentists or the jobs their practices create? Are you saying "Ranters only"?

Hmmm....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

I saw, how one dentist extracted a healthy tooth,because he ext.another one before and moved next really badly. He told the patient, that he will ext. that one,because it's not good too...she said:"Oh, doc I trust you". Do you think how do I feel...seen all of this? That tooth was PERFECT! I know how to "read" X-rays, for so many years. I saw a dentist who has no clue how to do RCTs and he always took them to do, unable to finish...His fillings came off all time, and people had to come back to redo them. Who do you think was in "in charge" for that? Guess from first time?...I would put a lot of "stories" here, and don't say that dentists are hard "studiers" in dental schools...lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

No, I don't say that. I'm saying about and positive and negative.You answered me too fast, by the way, like awaiting my answers...hm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

And don't try to confuse me or make scared...I have an excellent logical thinking and a phase of my life when I should be scared is over...lol...any your opinion is welcome here, any way...hear you later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Hi Kathy in Cocoa,

I'm old too, and life so far, has proved to me there is good and bad, honest and dishonest, skilled and unskilled in every single occupation; nurses, mechanics, soldiers, welders, teachers, washer/dryer repairmen. I'm sure if I was working for an unethical dentist I'd feel a compulsion to run or report him or her. But I've been blessed to have landed in the employ of a lovely intelligent highly principled female dentist who really cares about her patients and they seem to care about her.

I do think there may be a legitimate obligation to report truly unethical practitioners. In a free market any deliberate malpractice should be rewarded with a massive failure in the market place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Joke: What do you call a doctor / dentist that graduated at the bottome of their class?

Answer: doctor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

Exactly. It has to be done,because damage to people's health incomparable to damage that a plumber's done. One of my previous dentists use to repeat:" I didn't learn to be a plumber, I learned how to be a dentist." If a plumber did mistake, another comes and fix it. If a dentist ext. a healthy tooth, another one never grows back...If a dentist hurts roots, unable to do RCTs correct, probably that patient lose that tooth later. If a dentist "patch" a filling on a tooth, where RCT has to be done, that filling will come off, and a patient will be in a lot of pain. I saw a child, who had been done that "crap", he jumped in a chair after any touch a tooth, even under anesthesia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

And the most horrible thing that those kind of dentists never feel GUILT for what they've done. They continue to do the same...and take money from people. I'm just wondering who do they have to be that to do that kind of "staff".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christian Hahn in Louisville, Kentucky

45 months ago

Well, there seems to be a lot of anger out there against dentists (I am a happy dentist). There are bad apples in each profession. But to address the original question, dental hygienists make more money than dental assistants, but there are more stringent requirements to become one. For one, you need a lot more schooling. A dental assistant can work without any degree, which is kinda scary.
Dental assisting offers more variety than dental hygiene, and most of my staff always looks at dental assisting as a stepping stone. Several of my past assistants are now dental hygienists. One of my assistants now does most of my marketing and treatment planning, and she makes only a few dollars less per hour than a dental hygienist! She gets 4 weeks paid vacation, bonus and many more benefits.
I write a blog for people trying to become a successful and happy dental assistant - www.highestpaiddentalassistant.com. One thing I always stress is that you need to pick the office you want to work in! Don't work for a "mean, unethical or bad" dentist.
Good luck. Hope you find a good practice and maybe someday you will become a hygienist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Josie Y in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Christian Hahn in Louisville, Kentucky said: Well, there seems to be a lot of anger out there against dentists (I am a happy dentist). There are bad apples in each profession. But to address the original question, dental hygienists make more money than dental assistants, but there are more stringent requirements to become one. For one, you need a lot more schooling. A dental assistant can work without any degree, which is kinda scary.
Dental assisting offers more variety than dental hygiene, and most of my staff always looks at dental assisting as a stepping stone. Several of my past assistants are now dental hygienists. One of my assistants now does most of my marketing and treatment planning, and she makes only a few dollars less per hour than a dental hygienist! She gets 4 weeks paid vacation, bonus and many more benefits.
I write a blog for people trying to become a successful and happy dental assistant -

www.highestpaiddentalassistant.com . One thing I always stress is that you need

work in! Don't work for a "mean, unethical or bad" dentist.

Good luck.

Dr, I have to say as a dental assistant/office manager of 30 years, I find your attitude appalling to say the lease, I do not aspire to be a hygienist and certainly do not look at my job as a stepping stone. Maybe your attitude is the reason that your seasoned assistant has only been with you for 5 years and is your "closer" which by the way, I am sure that your patients would not appreciate being thought of as closed cases! I too went to school for assisting and am certified and hold my dental radiology license, I went to school for just 1 1/2 years less than a hygienist and do not consider myself inferior in any way, but apparently you, with your attitude do, I am happy to say that I have worked for some wonderful dentists in my career, who treated me with respect and recognized my intelligence and diligence!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well, I am sorry you took that comment so "wrong". Let me elaborate to clarify a bit for you. My "attitude" is that you can become anything you possibly want. If you want to become a dental hygienist, then you obviously can. It seemed that the "initial" post in this thread was about the comparison of dental assisting to dental hygiene. So, that is what I commented on. Secondly, if you are a dental assistant then this "is" a good stepping stone towards dental hygiene. I am not saying one is better than the other, but it is pretty much a fact that dental hygienists make more money than dental assistants. You do not need to look at your job as a stepping stone and you do not need to "aspire" to anything. If you are happy, great, that should be enough.
My "attitude" generally is pretty great. I am a optimist in all ways. I have only been in this State for 5 years and hence the "5 year assistant" that you mentioned. I have never had anyone leave my office because of attitude, but I did have a few assistants go to dental hygiene school and then "return" to my office as dental hygienists.
The bitterness of your post concerns me and it seems that maybe you are not as happy as you lead on. Please re-read my post and see that everything I do post is accurate and only meant to address and help the initial post. I do hope you, and everyone else, is treated with respect and recognized for their intelligence, diligence, and "humility".
Good luck in your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Just so you know, I am not bitter in any way, I too am an optimist and thoroughly enjoy dental assisting! I would not have stayed in a career for 30 years if I did not enjoy it!

As this is a forum for dental assistants, I still feel that your comments are out of place on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aubrey N in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Hi Josie, I agree with you about this dentist, this is a dental assistant forum, and he sounds rude and condescending! I've been assisting for 6 months and it is Not a stepping stone for me either! I think he is truing to sell something on his blog, yet another way to "close" a deal?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

It is sad to see people try so hard to be negative. I think it has now been over 3 years that I have had a "free" blog which was designed to "help" dental assistants enjoy and succeed in their profession. I have met so many assistants that were not able to move ahead in their profession. I enjoy helping people but I can see why educators get so frustrated with some students.
You are welcome to your opinion and if you love what you do then more power to you. What I have tried to do is teach assistants what the "good" dentists are looking for. If you want respect, a good salary, benefits and deliver quality dentistry at the same time then check out my blog. It is your choice. The manual I wrote simply gives assistants a step up towards that goal. Otherwise you can just read what you like and leave. To read about all these sad and frustrated dental assistants is quite a surprise. Why would you attack someone, especially a dentist, that is only trying to help you? Guess you can't please everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

mktbhat in Whidbey Island, Washington

45 months ago

Josie Y in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said:

Josie, you need check your tone because you are the one who seems offensive. I did not see anything offensive at all in the dentist's comments. Maybe your attitude is why you're unhappy at work.

Just sayin'...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Thanks, but I'm actually very happy! I love my job and my doctor.

45 months ago

Hi Dr...thanks for the link, your comments are appreciated.

Mary

Christian Hahn in Louisville, Kentucky said: It is sad to see people try so hard to be negative. I think it has now been over 3 years that I have had a "free" blog which was designed to "help" dental assistants enjoy and succeed in their profession. I have met so many assistants that were not able to move ahead in their profession. I enjoy helping people but I can see why educators get so frustrated with some students.
You are welcome to your opinion and if you love what you do then more power to you. What I have tried to do is teach assistants what the "good" dentists are looking for. If you want respect, a good salary, benefits and deliver quality dentistry at the same time then check out my blog. It is your choice. The manual I wrote simply gives assistants a step up towards that goal. Otherwise you can just read what you like and leave. To read about all these sad and frustrated dental assistants is quite a surprise. Why would you attack someone, especially a dentist, that is only trying to help you? Guess you can't please everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Juanita M in San antonio, Texas

45 months ago

Josie Y in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Thanks, but I'm actually very happy! I love my job and my doctor.

I think you are right on with your comments! You don't sound offensive to me at all, and obviously mktbhat knows the doctor!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Oy vey, if y'all can't muster a scintilla of civility on the board, I shudder to think what an office would be like with this kind of knee jerking and snarking.
Just sayin', and I don't know the doctor, I'm on the West coast; what he said makes sense though and I'm not defensive about assistant vs., hygiene.

:o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate it. All I was trying to do is help answer a question and give my feedback. Why would I have any other agenda? It is not my goal to make assistants feel bad about their job, but it is my goal to help them become more successful and, if they so desire, further their "career, not job" towards higher paying options. What is wrong with that? In my experience people who get so defensive usually are not happy or satisfied with their job/career/life. Just my opinion, again. I personally am constantly growing, as a person and professionally. If someone was trying to help me become more successful than just a dentist then I would certainly heed their advice, not shun them. And, as a matter of fact, I do that daily by reading books, blogs, etc. My horizons are endless, and I have specific goals for myself. Sharing some of that experience with dental assistants would only help them find a great office that respects them to work in, make more money, get better benefits, and consider it a career not a job. If you want to be an assistant for the rest of your life, fine, so be it. But, if you see yourself managing a dental office or possibly being a dental hygienist, that is fine as well and should not draw a venemous response.
And no, I do not know anyone on this forum.
So, if anyone is interested in growing professionally and as a person, visit my blog (www.highestpaiddentalassistant.com) and follow me there. You do not have to buy anything, fyi. This forum here unfortunately has some people in it that I certainly would not want to work in my office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jason F in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

I too am a dentist, and I have to agree with the majority of the assistants, I checked out your blog, and did a little research , you are selling and do appear to want to help assistants but also help yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well dr, if I've truly misunderstood you, then I do apologize!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aubrey N in New York, New York

45 months ago

Oh Josie , why would you apologize to this man? You are entitled to your opinion on this, a dental assistants forum! I agree with the last dr, he is selling, I don't think that belongs on here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Niagara Falls, Ontario

45 months ago

Why is simple....you are a dentist and therefore an easy target to lash out at.......I do agree, not all of you are bad! I had the pleasure to work for 4 or 5 WONDERFUL dentists, 4 of whom I am proud to say attended my wedding and I am still honored to call my personal friends. Thanks for trying to help.....maybe try and transfer some of those good values to some of the bad ass dentists out there....I've been verbally abused, mistreated for the final 2 years of my career and am now a bookkeeper!

Marcgr in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Dr, I am a dental hygienist, and I have to agree, you did sound condescending about dental assisting! Josie, I thought it was nice of you to apologize and if you notice, he only responds to negative comments! Aubrey, you sound like you are young and apparently can't see the value of an apology, but I do agree that he is a salesman! Dr. Jason, you are funny, checking out the the blog, but at least you seem to understand the value of an assistant. I have worked with wonderful (and terrible) dental assistants and I do agree that generally, the get the short end of the stick, they work closest with sometimes difficult dentists, help us hygienists and help at the front desk, sometimes I wonder why hey don't go to hygiene school myself! Dee, I don't agree that he is a target! Any way, this is a dental assistant forum and many of you seem to have had a rought time of it, hygiene any one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

Why should people go to dental hygiene? It's a boring profession,in my opinion, that's why I don't want to be a dental hygienist. If all the DAs go to hygiene school, who is going to be dental assistants? You can choose any other profession, not only hygiene.Why do you think that Dr. Jason is funny? I can't see anything funny he's done. It's absolutely normal if people check blogs.

45 months ago

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida said: Why should people go to dental hygiene? It's a boring profession,in my opinion, that's why I don't want to be a dental hygienist. If all the DAs go to hygiene school, who is going to be dental assistants? You can choose any other profession, not only hygiene.Why do you think that Dr. Jason is funny? I can't see anything funny he's done. It's absolutely normal if people check blogs.

hygiene= DULL DULL DULL , no thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stella in Johannesburg, South Africa

45 months ago

im a DA for 22 years. I used to love my job,my passion. I worked for a few nice dentists. Im with a dentist now for 6 years and O BOY do i hate my job now for the last 2 years and it all the thanks to this horrible man! The dentists in SA think they know it all and treat the DA'S like its no one's business! I'm soon giving up what i loved! Very sad...

45 months ago

Thanks for the apology. And yes, the blog I write also had options to purchase materials, but those are options. 99% of people simply ask questions and read the blog. Just because you sell stuff does not negate the fact that you are trying to help people. You could learn a lot from the blog. Most blogs these days are supported somehow. Text books cost money, CE courses cost money, everything had a price. It is just a matter of what you want to know.
I have heard that hygiene can be boring, and that is the #1 complaint I hear.
So, good luck in any field you choose.
Buy books, manuals and go to CE you enjoy to further your career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

I don't think the current socialist administration has banned free enterprise yet.....

Jason F in Miami, Florida said: I too am a dentist, and I have to agree with the majority of the assistants, I checked out your blog, and did a little research , you are selling and do appear to want to help assistants but also help yourself!

Jason F in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Mktbhat, I never meant to imply that free enterprise was banned! However, maybe I've misunderstood the purpose of this forum. Is it not intended for dental assistants as a place to vent after a hard day at work? Perhaps it is intended as a place for assistants to give up their hard earned wages to a dentist to sell his book! Hmmm, maybe I will write a book, would you like to purchase it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

45 months ago

Dr. Jason, I really like your comment!You have a nice sense of Humor!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well, Dr. Jason, have you ever attended a CE meeting? Did you pay for it? Are you a member of any organizations? Do you pay for it? Have you bought a book on dentistry? Was it free? Come on, be realistic. Free enterprise is how we all got where we are. We learn from those who are where we want to go. You want to become a dental assistant, go to dental assisting school, buy books, pay tuition, etc. Very simple. If you are a good and successful dentist then yes, you should write a book and share your knowledge. What is wrong with that? I buy books all the time, go to 100's of CE a year, spend a sick amount of money on my education. It is all worth it. Once you reach a certain level at anything you can begin to give back. You can write a blog, like I do, and help a little. You can write a manual, like I did, and help more. You can even lecture, like many dentists, hygienists and assistants do, and help many people - including yourself! You don't work for the goodness of your heart, you need to make money. The vast majority of people who come to my blog find it under the keyword "how do I get a raise", and the vast majority of people who look my blog over look at the post about getting a raise. I am only being real. People want to make more money. My blog helps dental assistants become successful and also make more money. You need not be sarcastic, venemous or defensive. Everything I talk about and say is for the benefit of dental assistants. And no, the very very little money I make from the manual does not even cover the hosting costs of the site. Trust me, I am not doing it only for the money. Dentistry makes money, this does not.
Sadly I am a bit frustrated. My goal was to teach assistants how to succeed. This kind of talk makes me want to forget about it and let everyone fend for themselves. The only people who will loose is those assistants that actually wanted to move ahead, not me.
My posts simply responded to the initial post. Please re-read it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

This is my last post here. Good luck to you all. Dr. Jason F?, imagine the money you could save if you never spend any of your hard earned money on any more books, CE, or other useless stuff! I sure want to be your patient.
MKTBHAT - Thank you for your support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Fairly Claire in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

"telegraphed your disdain"...? So, Neophyte Da, do you mean you get back what you give out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Wow it looks like Christian Hahn really messed with the flow of the forum...where is everybody :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neophyte DA in Marysville, Washington

44 months ago

Fairly Claire in San Francisco, California said: "telegraphed your disdain"...? So, Neophyte Da, do you mean you get back what you give out?

Hi Fairly Claire,

I do believe we get what we give...but the comment you referred to was my way of saying we can communicate our animosity toward a co-worker non-verbally too. A sour look, long silences born of resentment which is often the result of unresolved conflict.....stuff like that. A while back a hygienist in the office came to work sick. While perio-charting for her I could hear her sniffing and snorting back the obviously free flowing mucus behind her mask as she probed. I have two immune compromised family members and disapprove of people not exercising great care to prevent spread of infection when they are ill. So early in the morning I asked her if she was sick..she said no, claiming to have allergies. I said, "Good, because it would be very bad for you to spread a viral or bacterial respiratory infection to a patient. She said..."Even if I was sick I would have to come in, because the practice can't do without me. You could stay home because you're not needed like I am." Initially I was a little insulted but decided to examine the comments rationally. I could only conclude the hygienist was either thoughtless or deliberately rude, but either way, she was also quite mistaken. If I were a dispensable member of the team the doctor would not have bothered to hire me in the first place. We're all valuable productive members of the dental team, and the hygienist was simply mistaken. Her comments, regardless of motivation, were a reflection of her own thoughtlessness so I chose to simply let them fall to the ground. I'm not the thought or the word police, and I'm actually the only one I'm able to affect change in. So, instead of resenting her and being angry and insulted, I examined the exchange for truth. She is human and flawed, as am I, so it's best to grant her the consideration I'd

44 months ago

Sounds like the hygienist was out of line to imply that you're expendable, but who cares? I'd laugh my butt off if someone said that to me! She's obviously a complete moron. On the other hand, I myself though have gone to work sick and although it's not a very OSHA friendly decision, mama's gotta pay the bills... Know what I'm sayin?

44 months ago

I just quit my RDA job after a brutal year of enduring an office of pathetically shallow females. It was easy to ignore them at first, I mean, I have bigger fish to fry in my life, however life became pretty lonely with nobody to relate to or talk to in the very small office. I mean this is where I spend most of my vital hours. So, soon their, in my opinion, inane banter became more and more of an annoyance and, at times, was extremely insulting. I don't think a future in an all female office is in the cards for me ever again.
I really don't know how anyone can stand it!

44 months ago

I think I'm ready to change professions anyway. I liked the analogy made by someone earlier in the forum relating the job to dating. I definitely wouldn't continue to date a jerk, so why on earth would I continue pursuing a profession that leaves me feeling uninspired?
It's kind of simplistic, sure, but IT is all about the pursuit of happiness, right? Why the hell else do we get up in the morning?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Fontana, Wisconsin

44 months ago

Fairly Claire in San Francisco, California said: I just quit my RDA job after a brutal year of enduring an office of pathetically shallow females. It was easy to ignore them at first, I mean, I have bigger fish to fry in my life, however life became pretty lonely with nobody to relate to or talk to in the very small office. I mean this is where I spend most of my vital hours. So, soon their, in my opinion, inane banter became more and more of an annoyance and, at times, was extremely insulting. I don't think a future in an all female office is in the cards for me ever again.
I really don't know how anyone can stand it!

Life is too short to spend time with people you do not enjoy. (ANY time!!) Out of all the offices Ive been in...only one had catty and b*tchy girls. I've had plenty of working interviews where there have been crabby , arrogant girls. With this many years in the field I certainly don't need that kind of drama! I have ***ZERO*** tolorance for that! Women get jealous, competitive, and bitter.
The dr.'s Ive worked for have been (mostly) great. There have been a few though with major issues. And that is a whole other story!!!!!

44 months ago

You said it, Dental Guru. I can say with the utmost certainty that I will never ever work for another female dentist :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Fontana, Wisconsin

43 months ago

I've never worked for a female dds. I have tempted for a couple. They seemed nice and I got along with them well. The male dentists have been nice mostly- - maybe a couple bad apples. ... it is a lot like dating. I think they "pick" their assistants like they pick their dates. lol When it goes smooth...it's all good, but when you don't "click"......watch out for that train wreck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kazza1974 in Coquitlam, British Columbia

43 months ago

I feel so deflated regarding Dental Assisting lately:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Kazza1974 in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: I feel so deflated regarding Dental Assisting lately:(

How long have you been an assistant? It's very common to "burn out".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGURU2009 in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

43 months ago

It's official- I'm "burned out" (around 20 yrs or so...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.