I HATE DENTAL ASSISTING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 450 of 460)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

courtney in Marietta, Georgia

25 months ago

Maria in Elmhurst, New York said: I read through this entire thread, and you people have it EASY! I am going through hell right now and have been for the past 20 years. I am not legal so I don't have papers to get a job anywhere else so I have been doing dental assisting for this dentist . I am getting paid $5 an hour. I used to get paid $3 an hour when I first started. The dentist is very mean. In front of the patient I get screamed at for holding the suction wrong. She call me things like "stupid" and "oh my god you are worthless" in front of patients and I get so embarrased. I cry every day because I feel so low like I am garbage. I work so hard I do everything in this office. I clean, take out the garbage, wipe the instruments and put them in the sterilization. She is also very cheap, I am not allowed to use gloves. When I first started, she was showing me how to wipe the instruments with the brush. I feel nasty so I ask if I can use gloves, she says no because the soap is going to clean the hands and instruments too so its okay. Next day I get bloody instruments and dont feel comfortable to use my hands so I take some gloves, she so angry start screaming at me that im wasting money. so I clean instruments and have dirty people blood all over my hands. I also clean the office and toilet without gloves. many times i also get physically pushed by her when i am in the way. i am illegal so i cant find job anywhere else so i am stuck...

I'm so sorry to hear that. It hurts my heart to hear you say that. If you don't mind, can you tell me more about your experience. I'd like to to help you in anyway I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in Falls Church, Virginia

25 months ago

RDAinWA in Onalaska, Washington said: Dental assisting is physically and mentally draining. I am a smart,fast and accurate person and every dentist I have ever worked with is never happy. It will always be your fault. I wish I would have just went straight into hygiene. I am switching to hygiene asap. You will be the office B**tch

I have been a Dental Assistant for 17 years,it mentally breaks you. The doctors are all demeaning, The worst career path ever- being a Dental Hygienist I never did because you need to pay your own benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Falls Church, Virginia

25 months ago

gaby texas in dallas, Texas said: Quit and find a job as a babysitter or housekeeper the pay is much better. I lived in NY until last year so I know you will find something

Oh I have another complaint try working in an office that pays hourly 8-4 only no breaks or lunch and if you work over past 4 you get paid nothing!! I am really thinking about contacti.g the labor board- This career path sucks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucia in Gainesville, Georgia

24 months ago

Hi, I am looking for a job as Dental Administrative Assistant (front desk job). Can anybody suggest an affordable online course? The ones I checked at out local colleges are so expensive, $1,800, because they are all online. I just don't want to spend so much money anymore, because, first, I am broke and second, I just need a knowledge of Dentrix software and Dental insurance. I have some education in Accounting. But I am so tired of spending money for all these classes and never finding a job. So I am on a strict budget now. I know some community colleges have classes in Dental Administrative Assisting for about $300, but those are on campus and they are all out of state. So I need to find something affordable online. I will appreciate any helpful suggestion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Trueamber

24 months ago

Shannon Pace Brinker in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: 5.) Increase your capacity to work with different personalities. God will often bless you
through people you don't even like.
6.) Remember, where you are does not define where you are going. THis will deliver you
from frustration. God has a plan for your life. Keep your eye on the prize. When Pete did
this he was able to walk in what other people sank.
7.) Get the optimum results with minimal confusion. Be effective without making the
environment worse.
8.) Don't be associated with the one group or clique. Labels limit your usefulness. GOd
wants you to work with everybody, but be labeled by nobody. Use all your gifts.
9.) Always keep your song near you. Keep a consecrated place in your soul. Hold on to
your praise.
10.) Understand that God anoints you for trouble. Put on the whole armor of God before
going to work.

I want to be here for you at anytime and would love to keep in touch!
Take Care,
Shannon

I this is so good and helpful that I'm going to save this in my notes and read to remember and show another person this helpful information!!!thanks for your time Shannon and opening your heart to us !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

justhorsinrond41 in Pleasant Hill, California

23 months ago

Fairly Claire in San Francisco, California said: You said it, Dental Guru. I can say with the utmost certainty that I will never ever work for another female dentist :)

I CONCUR, I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!I myself will will not work for another female Dentist she beast ever again!!! THE ONE's I HAVE WKED FOR I WOULD NOT LET THEM DO A ONE SURFACE OCCL. ON MY CAT lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

justhorsinrond41 in Pleasant Hill, California

23 months ago

can can in Durham, North Carolina said: the water may be turned up to high in the handpiece try turning it down before the procedure is started, if doc needs more then they can turn it up.

I think this is an issue for all of us at one time or another dont worry about water going every where I use the air very lightly to blow the water away from mirror and toword my suction this is so tiring and also the water bounces off teeth and sprays the pt and the dentist can't be helped sometimes I always say the showers are always free

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave Set in Toronto, Ontario

22 months ago

Assistants - Please help me.

I am a dentist in Toronto. I have been working at a new office, full time for 2 months.

I appreciate everything my assistants do. I thank them for everything, I have given them raises and to my main assistant perks valued at %600.

I have always told them that I will do whatever it takes to make everything more comfortable for them. Recently, my main assistant shuffles schedule and uses all sorts of tricks and politics to get around working and leaving early.

Attitudes have changed and to be honest with you, I see no choice but to become that "a...hole" dentist everyone is complaining about.

The hygienists have issues, and are playing these young assistants.

They are closing all doors here for me. I have to be that "boss" everyone hates. Is there a second option?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Dyanah in Glenpool, Oklahoma

22 months ago

Dental assisting is the stupidest thing you could ever choose to do with your life. If you are thinking about a career in DA, DO NOT DO IT. You will regret it! I only graduated last year and have already worked in two offices. It is the most embarrassing and abusive job I have ever had and I've worked at Wendy's and Walmart! Dental assisting is worst than both. It's a shame, because the work itself is actually fun, but I can't take working for stuck up, condescending idiots who speak to you like you're slow just because you can't read their mind. I swear if my doctor rolls her eyes at me one more time, I'm gonna slap her! Nothing you do is ever good enough. I should have just done nursing like I wanted to, but I wanted something quicker and easier. Now I just wasted a year and a half of my life in school and working for IDIOTS who don't deserve my kindness or dedication to hard work. I don't have the time or money to pursue another career now. Stupidest decision I have ever made...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

C in Marietta, Georgia

22 months ago

Dyanah in Glenpool, Oklahoma said: Dental assisting is the stupidest thing you could ever choose to do with your life. If you are thinking about a career in DA, DO NOT DO IT. You will regret it! I only graduated last year and have already worked in two offices. It is the most embarrassing and abusive job I have ever had and I've worked at Wendy's and Walmart! Dental assisting is worst than both. It's a shame, because the work itself is actually fun, but I can't take working for stuck up, condescending idiots who speak to you like you're slow just because you can't read their mind. I swear if my doctor rolls her eyes at me one more time, I'm gonna slap her! Nothing you do is ever good enough. I should have just done nursing like I wanted to, but I wanted something quicker and easier. Now I just wasted a year and a half of my life in school and working for IDIOTS who don't deserve my kindness or dedication to hard work. I don't have the time or money to pursue another career now. Stupidest decision I have ever made...

Hi, Dyanah, I am writing a piece about dentl assisting. Do you mind if we talk about your experience?

Aika in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

Wow. I've read so many "negative" comments, reviews, etc about DA's. I appreciate comments, but I prefer facts better. Most of what I've read are all about complaints. I want more feedback on actual events, down to the very detail of it. Those are things I would prefer to read. Everything else is just petty little whiners. Throughout the few positive things I've read on here. I can truly say one thing I've realized. I realized only those who have the patience, the diligence, can fully enjoy their career in the Dental field. I believe as a person if you choose a career, the proper advice that should be taken to consideration, is to choose a career that fits your character. Not just your personality. I speak this because, I know I love routine. In Dental field everything is about routine, repetitiveness. So, I know I will enjoy it. Again, everything on here I have read are all complaints. It's annoying. In my opinion, no matter what career you chose. If in the end you find yourself not liking it. Then move on to a next plan, a better goal. Never settle yourself for less. And if your major concern is pay, to the point that is your first priority why you chose the career, well 90 percent you will not like it and you will not succeed in that career. Those who succeed in life are those who love what they do, because its either that career makes them a more better person. So, what the hell with all these negative reviews. Please share facts worth reading. Like true life experiences. Those will help. Not complaints about how ugly coworkers are in how they treat you, etc. because that's breaking the first rule of work ethic. That is "don't talk about coworkers". And I'm 25...lol I'm proud of myself that I am pursuing to further my education in becoming a Dental Hygienist. It's truly how you make it to be and how you want it to go. Positive thinking and positive people will help those who are considering to get into the Dental Field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aika in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

And another thing. So what about cleaning toilets? or how most of the people said on here, "maid work"? Well, I was 8 years old washing my own clothes with a bucket and my bare hands. I know what hard work is. I learned it when I was young. Those who complain so much are those who actually don't like to do much. This is my advice to those certain crowd. "Appreciate the small things in life. Know when to be grateful with what you have. Without that you will never be happy, you will never be content." Find a career that you enjoy. Make that career beneficial to you as an "individual". Once you do that, your career won't feel like a job. It will feel something you will look forward to each day. I have met many doctors who enjoy and love what they do, I've met a janitor who enjoys his job. It's not the job that complains. It's always the person. And it bothers me how there so many people here in America that do not know how to really work hard. They move their mouth more than their hands and feet. Go to another country and you see so much of a big difference in character and morals and values.... So this is all I have to say, to those considering Dental Field. In all the positive facts remember it and throw away all the negatives, forget them. Because only you can make this career good for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JennyL2013 in Clinton, Massachusetts

21 months ago

Dave Set in Toronto, Ontario said: Assistants - Please help me.

I am a dentist in Toronto. I have been working at a new office, full time for 2 months.

I appreciate everything my assistants do. I thank them for everything, I have given them raises and to my main assistant perks valued at %600.

I have always told them that I will do whatever it takes to make everything more comfortable for them. Recently, my main assistant shuffles schedule and uses all sorts of tricks and politics to get around working and leaving early.

Attitudes have changed and to be honest with you, I see no choice but to become that "a...hole" dentist everyone is complaining about.

The hygienists have issues, and are playing these young assistants.

They are closing all doors here for me. I have to be that "boss" everyone hates. Is there a second option?

--------Dave please, I beg you-don't fall into that trap...we all have to come together and try to end this abusive cycle in the dental field. Have a meeting, first separate with individual prob employees, then together as a team. Address these issues, and let them know you know the schedule is being manipulated to suit their own needs. Tell them it needs to stop immediately, that you won't tolerate it another minute. Tell them you are understanding, and if someone truly needs time off, that you'll work it out as a team, but that in the end, these jobs they hold are all supporting roles of the office, and if they can't perform them, they will be replaced. Simple, and if you truly don't feel they are loyal, then let them go after you've hired their replacement. Keep trying, don't let a bad apple change you, and you will find that right assistant and staff, there are so many of us out there looking for a 'home' away from home.

21 months ago

I am giving up being an assistant for good. I did not choose DA as a permanent career, as many of us don't. It's usually a stepping stone. I have held my license in real estate for some years now, waiting for the market to favor my chosen career. So I chose to attend DA school for income in the meantime, not because it pays well, but because I really thought I could make a difference in ppl's smiles, and would be happy doing this until I was ready to move on. If I knew then what I was about to experience, I would've saved my $, and just worked at Wal-Mart, working my way up through management or something of that nature. I went for an externship at an orthodontic office, this woman welcomed me with a smile, and said-oh, good, free work. Well, after I completed my hours, she offered me a full time job, at a very very low rate, when I expressed concern she simply stated-you're just out of school, I will give you raises soon. I was appreciative and took the job-as an assistant. Well after a month, her office manager leaves because of her abuse and puts me up front cause I'm the only one that has English she says... what?! I thought I was helping her, but this abusive chicken with her head cut off was trying to get me to do everything, even go to her rental property and bleach mold in the basement, no mask, and oh-no pay. WHAT?! OK, I give my notice at that point. You can't be serious.. Next thing I know, I am offered a DA position by my then dentist who had just hired an associate an needed an extra DA. Ok, great, I thought-get the hell away from that nut job. He starts me off at 14/hr. I am instantly attacked by the head assistant, and ordered around, fine, I'm just learning the ropes, right? Wrong. There was a complete struggle for control of me, the head DA and the associate constantly at it. I felt like meat. Nobody was happy until I did everything. At the time adults were about to lose MH coverage, so we were working until past nine o'clock at night for weeks, ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

With NO breaks...talk about inhuman, and illegal! That's also when I found out that Dr./owner doesn't pay overtime. Rest of my pay was either cut short, or divided over a long period of time to not look like OT. Oh, and our breaks we never got were deducted anyway! I was livid and hurt. No benefits, treated like a slave girl, meanwhile assisting this left handed dr. for so many hours on end had begun to do damage to my right shoulder and spine from over extending it, hurts 'til this day, sometimes I can't even carry my pocket book. I was humiliated like everyone else, but I continued under the delusion that if I worked really hard and became the best DA ever, I would one day gain appreciation and respect, and it would all be worth it. Nope. I went on to assist both dentists, sometimes alone with five operatories and lab work to do. The cleaning co. he fired, guess who had to pick up the slack? The old lab guy retired, now I had to do a lot more than just impressions and models. Now it was denture bases, night guards, sports guards, all kinds of stuff. Too cheap to send any of this stuff out to real labs, I did all the lab work, and the cleaning, in addition to my already extensive DA duties,(temp crowns, stepping in doing polishes and fluoride for Hyg when they were not there etc, etc, ). The head DA always left early too, whenever she pleased and would change the schedule to boot, or book extras to stress me out. Next day she would come in and be like-what time did you leave last night? Wow, I kept thinking, aren't we a team, here? Anyways, with time, I got to be sooo good with my dr., I had to ignore negative comments, but I could see what he was thinking, he almost never had to ask anymore, I just knew, Often times, I would catch him making a mistake, but I never embarrassed him, it was always a quiet gesture to let him know that the molar he was extracting still had gum tissue attached and was ripping off the roof of patients' mouth, or such things....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Anyhow, the front desk/manager ended up asking for a voluntary lay off, and collected unemployment for a very long time, who had to pick up the slack? Me, of course, because head DA always manipulated dr. owner, and played the whole-my English isn't very good card. Needless to say, I ended up more up front and in lab than anywhere else, and my associate dr., now that we had a perfect DA/Dr. relationship, was assisting himself, or I was running back and forth, gloves, on, gloves off. If the phone rang while I was assisting in surgery, Dr. owner had a fit! Like I'm not doing my job, or something. He would drop what he was doing-even if it was an implant, and go running to pick up phone-scared he might have lost a buck. He never did get a person to take over my jobs, everybody that came in quickly left. My Dr. saw all that was going on, but helpless because he was just an associate. I couldn't take it anymore. Manager that went on unemployment came back after a divorce needed more money, all she did was complain, too. This job sucked the life out of me. Dr./owner actually stuck me with a bloody needle and I had to go to hosp(after work) and get tested all at my own expense. All he cares about is his precious money. I gave one month notice, and left. They called me several times after, I never answered. I moved out of state and took 1 yr off to recoup and figure out what to do next. when I left, associate dr said he understood why, and was sorry for way I was treated and under paid. He said no matter where in life he is, or now matter how many yrs go by, to count on him for letter of recommendation/reference. Thanked me for my yrs of service and being his office wife lol. I found out after I left, so did he. And that Dr./owner maxed out my insurance and my whole families for work he never did! I can never give of myself like that to an employer again. I work 4 me now, and will make more $ in an hour than he does all month. How's that for resolve?

Jensen in Orem, Utah

21 months ago

Wow so dental assisting is really that bad? I had a friend who did dental assisting and I thought she really liked it. My <a href="ralhandentistry.ca/cornerstone-dental/">dentist Burlington</a> does pretty well as far as clients go so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

imperfectdisaster in hindman, Kentucky

21 months ago

This forum has scared the crap out of me. I recently graduated from a year-long accredited DA program. The schooling itself was tough, clinicals were tough, and immediately after graduating I decided to take time off before job searching. Now everyone is looking at me like I'm lazy because its been about 10 weeks since I graduated and I haven't made a move yet. I know a lot of my classmates are already employed. I think I'm just scared to death, partly because of this forum lol, and partly because it was a tough year, especially the clinical portion where I learned first-hand that its not exactly an easy job being a dental assistant. I can't just waste the degree I earned though... I worked hard through that program and earned expanded functions, etc. Also I can take my DANB, and need to get around to doing that as well. Can anyone offer any advice for a new grad who is about to go on the job search? Any advice other than to just "run" lol. Because as bad as I hate to say this, I'm already so discouraged and looking at other careers that I may pursue in the near future. I'm sad that I may have very well wasted my time, money, effort, and sometimes even my sanity.

Luyzah in Littleton, Colorado

21 months ago

I just want to tell you my story. I have been on and off a dental assistant in the past 10 years. I started out loving this field but in the past few years I found out that dentists and dental assistants are put out way too many health risks. First you inhale mercury vapors all day long (1000 times above the limit)and you get radiated from x-rays on top of it. Of course they do not tell you this in dental school. I found this on mercurypoisoned.com They tested dentists and dental assistants for mercury level in the body.

Mercury levels in blood of dental professionals ranged from 0.6 to 57 ug/L, with study averages ranging from 1.34 to 9.8 ug/L (124,195,253,249,531). A review of several studies of mercury level in hair or nails of dentists and dental workers found median levels were 50 to 300% more than those of controls (38, p287-288,& 10,16,178,531). Dentists have been found to have elevated skeletal mercury levels, which has been found to be a factor in osteoporosis, as well as mercury retention and kidney effects that tend to cause lower measured levels of mercury in urine tests (258). A group of dental students taking a course involving work with amalgam had their urine tested before and after the course was over. The average urine level increased by 500% during the course (63). Allergy tests given to another group of dental students found 44% of them were allergic to mercury (156). Studies have found that the longer time exposed, the more likely to be allergic and the more effects (6b,154c,156,503a) . One study found that over a 4 year period of dental school, the sensitivity rate increased 5 fold to over 10% (154c). Another group of dental students had similar results (362), while another group of dental student showed compromised immune systems compared to medical students. The total lymphocyte count, total T cell numbers (CD3), T helper/ inducer(CD4+CD8-), and T suppressor/cytotoxic(CD4-CD8+) numbers were significantly elevated in the dental students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dpledesma in Santa Rosa, California

21 months ago

Being a dental assistant I had to deal with sexual harrassment and other illegal things that these over stuff shirt dentist dish out. As a RDA I feel that we are very under paid by them and I feel that we should form a group to put an end to all of the abuse that us dental assistants put up with. My last job I was sexually harrassed and the job before that...my pay check had bounced and messed up my checking account and on my last day the did not give me my last paycheck within the 72 hr frame that the state of California labor has written. I have filed two law suites going against these dentist. I don't feel we should be treated in any type, shape or form of abuse. If anyone wants to form a group to stop the abuse against us dental assistant let me know. We deserve to be respected.

anon in Roselle, Illinois

20 months ago

I was a assistant for 15 years, the last 5 were so bad that I wound up in a psychiatrists office with anxiety disorder from the mental cruelty I endured from the dentist. Not to mention exhaustion from being constantly understaffed. I'm a single mother and was trapped at that hell hole since the recession hit in 2008....believe me I wanted to quit every day, sent out resumes for a year with no luck. I eventually found a way out by switching careers and I will NEVER go back. I know not all dentists are bad but a good majority are narcissistic and arrogant. Think I'm just dramatic? Stay in that profession long enough and see for yourself. My experience was extreme but it happens more than you think. A lot of sexual harassment goes on too. The $20 an hour was not worth my health..If you really want to go into this profession I urge you not to settle and never allow the dentist to belittle you (especially in front of the patient) or bully you. Walk out. When I started in 1999 I was too young to know any better. Looking back I was treated like garbage by all except one. Good luck.

Gladis in Portland, Oregon

19 months ago

Wow these are truly some horror stories. I work for an imperfect dentist but he seems like a saint compared to some of the dentist ya'll have worked for. He does thank us for things and is slowly learning to be considerate of our time. At the same time I work really hard at my job and try to cover all the bases I can. Some of my coworkers are amazing people I like almost all the hygienists and front office workers but one assistant really makes my day harder. I think it's important to make this a team effort. Everyone gets stressed if it's a busy office and the dentist is the boss after all so if they're respectful I think everyone should pull their weight.

I've had the privilege of working with some pretty great CDAs but I think I'll start looking for another job for this annoying assistant so she'll leave us. The doctor is too nice to fire her or something. It is really frustrating.

Also those who are are complaining about back pains. Don't you worry dentists get pretty bad back and hand pain too. Some of the dentists I've worked for are getting older in his years and often gripes about their aches and pains as well so it's not just you.

still retired in Texas

19 months ago

JennyL2013 in Clinton, Massachusetts said: --------Dave please, I beg you-don't fall into that trap...we all have to come together and try to end this abusive cycle in the dental field. Have a meeting, first separate with individual prob employees, then together as a team. Address these issues, and let them know you know the schedule is being manipulated to suit their own needs. Tell them it needs to stop immediately, that you won't tolerate it another minute. Tell them you are understanding, and if someone truly needs time off, that you'll work it out as a team, but that in the end, these jobs they hold are all supporting roles of the office, and if they can't perform them, they will be replaced. Simple, and if you truly don't feel they are loyal, then let them go after you've hired their replacement. Keep trying, don't let a bad apple change you, and you will find that right assistant and staff, there are so many of us out there looking for a 'home' away from home.

@ DAVE Definateley address the issues. Even additionally on paper if it need be along with job descriptions and daily rules. Fiascos have consequence ie. production, reputation of office and your livelihood. Have them sign something if you have a policy and procedure. If not look into this. YOUR the BOSS not their friend. Not saying this is going on with your staff. You seem like your rare and reasonable for a dentist. Your office needs structure and limitations. I have always said skaters skate and workers work. And workers always pick up the slack. Dont lose the good ppl they will leave. We in the dental field are abundant. Look forward to the good apples!!

Swanna in Peterborough, Ontario

18 months ago

PART 1:

I've been a dental assistant for almost 9 years and truthfully I dislike my job A LOT. While I was in dental school, I actually thought the clinical lessons were always so much fun and educational. While college was prepping me for all the knowledge and technical skills that are required to do the job properly, they did not prep me about the downside of being a DA. Basically what I needed was a reality check.

What I meant by that? Well, for instance, they didn't warn me that I would be skipping out on lunch everyday simply because the dentists and receptionists decided to have daily schedule packed with patients and leaving no breaks for us. But you know whats ironic? The dentists and receptionists all get their lunch breaks while we were busily cleaning, sterilizing and setting up the rooms for next patients! I thought it was annoyingly funny...

I guess no lunch is one thing...but no breaks too?! I know our line of work isn't as labor intensive...but I am only human, I think I deserved at least 30 mins break out of the long 8-10 hours of work...right? Oh, not to mention we have to work overtime on many occasions too but sadly we do not get OT pay.

Now, onto the hours! For our position, most of us are paid by the hours and what does that mean? Well, that means if your dentists decided to go on vacation for weeks then you will be forced to take time off also, or if the day is slow then you have lesser than 8 hours of work. Our hours aren't guaranteed and that was one of the most frustrating things to endure if you want stable income.

I would love to get into other details about how I PERSONALLY getting tired of doing other work which was not within my dental assistant duties, such as cleaning the whole office including washroom because dentists wanted to cut down on other expenses like hiring cleaners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Swanna in Peterborough, Ontario

18 months ago

PART 2:

But I won't elaborate more on that because that is what it is!

Now, let's move onto the future outlook of this job, shall we? Since I am no longer a naive girl who was in her early twenties and thought I could treat this position as a JOB only, I started looking at other aspects in the long run. Yes, I thought there will always be pros and cons in any jobs you choose to go for, but as I looked into my DA position, I found there are more cons for myself in the long term.

Being a DA not only means you will not have any benefits, pensions and you can't possibly keep this position until you retire! Well, some may switch roles and become front desk instead but if you are to change positions, you might as well do it earlier in life when you are still young and have rooms to learn, especially if you are considering another field of work. And honestly, there is a cap on our wage, the most you get paid is perhaps $26/hr top? Then what happens for the following years? I personally do not know of any DA who gets paid over $30/hr, there might be a few lucky ones out there who might have been working for same dentists for decade(S) but it is not common. In most cases, we get underpaid with the amount of work that we need to do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from becoming a DA. Like I said, there are pros and cons in any field of work you choose to be in. You guys can learn all the pros from dental schools and dentists, we fellow DAs are here to give you a reality check so you know the downside to this job. You may argue it depends on which office you work for, which is certainly right! But I've worked for 4 dental offices and they are all the same. This is the nature of our job and if you can endure and accept all of this, then by all means, go for it! I finally decided to switch field and now I have a full time job at a financial company, where I can wear skirts and blouses to work! Yes, at last, I am done with the scrubs :)

Lucky in Scarborough, Ontario

16 months ago

I have been a DA for about 10 years. With one bully lady dentist, I was so broken down and quit the job. Only to get back in after couple of years trying seasonal works. I am not going to work with any bad boss anymore. I don't care how many employers appear on my resume. The pay is still less than $15 an hour. But, i have experience only to do DA. I am working with a dentist who is just fine. I always go the extra mile. The work is a part-time one. Very carefully, I am trying to find another part-time by keeping this present job. I am happy with my present boss, if i am not looking on the money. I promised myself that I will work only for a great dentist, who has a mission. I will work for the dentists who really understand the four-handed dentistry, and the one who respects the staff and keep the nice employees. The part-time I am doing, employee turnover is very low. Dentists do not want to yell in front of patients. The DDs knows a yelling dentist will make the patients anxious and not good for the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Huntsville, Texas

16 months ago

I am thinking of becoming an assistant but I heard it is very hard to find a job and when you do it pays horribly.please help

Lucky in Scarborough, Ontario

15 months ago

In Scarborough, Toronto, Canada, the pay is not great. The hours are not good enough. I am not sure about the condition in Texas. You really have to ask few dental assistants there. There is not much growth opportunities like many other office jobs. You can start as a dental assistant and retire as a dental assistant. So, if you are young and can afford schooling, then think about dental hygiene. The pay is good. If you are thinking about becoming a dentist, then sure, test the waters by being a dental assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

changeagent in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

teresa in Huntsville, Texas said: I am thinking of becoming an assistant but I heard it is very hard to find a job and when you do it pays horribly.please help

Teresa- A good place to start is to look at how much money you need to make NOW. Look for docs who are willing to train you as an assistant and will pay you what you are willing to work for now. You want to make sure this is the career for you before investing money and time into school. Working in an office will expose you to the other positions in the profession as well.

If you find something, post here, I would love to hear about it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RightsAdvocate in New Caney, Texas

14 months ago

skipper in Knoxville, Tennessee said: This comment is obviously coming from a " DENTIST " that DOES NOT appreciate dental assistants and their HARD WORK.

Lol .... obviously the comment (which you are referring to) is from a Dentist who does not understand the usage of the words "there" and "their." It is not "there jobs." It should be "their jobs." Why doesn't this person suck it up and learn the proper usage of such words! Honestly, how did they manage to graduate?

14 months ago

Hello in Spokane, Washington said: If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

This comment is obviously coming from a "DENTIST" that DOES NOT appreciate dental assistants and their HARD WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Lol ... obviously the comment (which Skipper in Knoxville, TN is referring to) is from a Dentist who does not understand the usage of the words "there" and "their." It is not "there jobs." It should be "their jobs." Why doesn't this person suck it up and learn the proper usage of such words! Honestly, how did they manage to graduate?

DA in STL in Saint Louis, Missouri

14 months ago

RightsAdvocate in New Caney, Texas said: Lol ... obviously the comment (which Skipper in Knoxville, TN is referring to) is from a Dentist who does not understand the usage of the words "there" and "their." It is not "there jobs." It should be "their jobs." Why doesn't this person suck it up and learn the proper usage of such words! Honestly, how did they manage to graduate?

I agree!!

DA in STL in Saint Louis, Missouri

14 months ago

Do not ever work for Dr. Julie Ring D.D.S. She is not only a horrible person, but not a very good dentist, either. She will treat you like dirt and not pay you. I went there as a favor to a friend. Dr. Ring SEEMED okay. (although, my friend let me know that they had just had two assistants walk out the previous week). While this WAS a huge red flag, I needed the hours. So, I took a chance. I should not have! Now, since I have left, I have seen her ad on Craigslist TWICE!! She cannot keep an assistant because she is such a mean person!!!! Anyway, any hygienists or assistant thinking about working for her...think again!!

brenda collick in Arlington, Virginia

13 months ago

Do not become a Dental Assistant- it is horrible. Dentist are arrogant jerks. Hygienist THINK they are Doctors when they are far from it.
Go into a different field. Seriously it is very abusive mentally and physically.Brenda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brenda collick in Arlington, Virginia

13 months ago

mrszero in Oregon City, Oregon said: I am going to write a book about my experiance of being a dental assistant for 27 years. This is going to be a exposure of the profession, not all will be bad but, I will tell it like it is, kind of like the book "the help" .

I would like to add a chapter or two of stories from other assistants, so if you have any and would like to share that would be great! my e-mail is mrmrszero@ comcast .net.

I have been thinking of doing this for a long time now I just need to do it!

Thank-you

Good for you!

exp in Massachusetts

13 months ago

Not all RDH's are like what you have experienced/said above in this thread. There are know it all's in every field. I think many work with the staff to the best of their abilities and offer insight from their training, as do DA's. Please don't put all Dr's , RDH's or DA's in a narrow view. I have seen what you have experienced and have exp'd some of this too , but have seen the occasional DA think she knows a lot...different people, personalities, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justhorsinrond41@aol.com

13 months ago

If you want just the facts go to school for dental assist. And for all your reading about is complaints and what you consider whining is what really happens in 95% of dental offices!!
I've worked in this abusive dield for over 25 yrs. these comments are what real life is like in the dental office it sucks maybe some food for thought if you are thinking about doing this for a living good luck!!!

justhorsinrond41@aol.com

13 months ago

Marie in Royse City, Texas said: I have been an assistant for many years. I hate to tell you, but there is always ONE in the office that is favored and does NOT pull their weight. You cannot complain about that person, it only makes YOU look and sound petty. I am currently working with someone JUST like you are describing. She makes me want to pull my hair out some days! I try to ignore her and just do my job. I hope things get better for you. I truly understand your pain and frustration.

I also know your pain for 25yrs I have worked under these cond. in just about every office I am currently in the worst A dentist and his sister the front desk who has never had any formal training hates me and uses the young asst. to try and upset me. There is no one else to talk to about any of these issues she does what she wants when she wants and is protected by both the Dr. and his sister she has been there for 4 yrs. I for 13yrs. The sister has no dental training and does things like repair broken dentures and set teeth in wax along with the young R.D.A. they take master imp. for crowns. I work in Ca. and I am pretty sure the R.D.A is not supposed to pack cord and take crown master imp. without having extended functions lic. and the dr.s sister without any traing is not to do dentures and master imp. I am considering taking this to the Ca. dental board? Anyone have any advice on the above?

justhorsinrond41@aol.com

13 months ago

dpledesma in Santa Rosa, California said: Being a dental assistant I had to deal with sexual harrassment and other illegal things that these over stuff shirt dentist dish out. As a RDA I feel that we are very under paid by them and I feel that we should form a group to put an end to all of the abuse that us dental assistants put up with. My last job I was sexually harrassed and the job before that...my pay check had bounced and messed up my checking account and on my last day the did not give me my last paycheck within the 72 hr frame that the state of California labor has written. I have filed two law suites going against these dentist. I don't feel we should be treated in any type, shape or form of abuse. If anyone wants to form a group to stop the abuse against us dental assistant let me know. We deserve to be respected.

I also work in the Bay Area for 25yrs as an assist. and have had the very same things happen to me through the yrs. I have always wanted to start a group to stand up to the dentist in this field to raise pay and for better treatment against abuse. I see that you posted this 8 mon. ago but if your still interested in tring to get something going please contact me

justhorsinrond41@aol.com

13 months ago

sister in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts said: yes, get out!

I am sorry to say that you can expect this kind of abuse in almost every office you wk in I would run and never look back!!!

justhorsinrond41@aol.com

13 months ago

Maria in Elmhurst, New York said: I read through this entire thread, and you people have it EASY! I am going through hell right now and have been for the past 20 years. I am not legal so I don't have papers to get a job anywhere else so I have been doing dental assisting for this dentist . I am getting paid $5 an hour. I used to get paid $3 an hour when I first started. The dentist is very mean. In front of the patient I get screamed at for holding the suction wrong. She call me things like "stupid" and "oh my god you are worthless" in front of patients and I get so embarrased. I cry every day because I feel so low like I am garbage. I work so hard I do everything in this office. I clean, take out the garbage, wipe the instruments and put them in the sterilization. She is also very cheap, I am not allowed to use gloves. When I first started, she was showing me how to wipe the instruments with the brush. I feel nasty so I ask if I can use gloves, she says no because the soap is going to clean the hands and instruments too so its okay. Next day I get bloody instruments and dont feel comfortable to use my hands so I take some gloves, she so angry start screaming at me that im wasting money. so I clean instruments and have dirty people blood all over my hands. I also clean the office and toilet without gloves. many times i also get physically pushed by her when i am in the way. i am illegal so i cant find job anywhere else so i am stuck...

This dentist is in violation of alot of laws here I'm sorry that you dont have any legal action you can take but you do get a lawyer find out what you can do re legal statist of being here in this country I would want to take her down as in closing her practice down if poss. hiring you as a non doct person.I am not judging you in any way just so darn angry for you! And paying you well under min. wadge putting your health at risk

13 months ago

If any of you brave ladies still insist on trying assisting at least heed this one bit of advice from someone that had been in this profession for 15 years: DON'T GO TO DA SCHOOL! Find a Dentist that is willing to train. DA school is scam and a complete waste of 20k. They teach you nothing relevant to dentistry within the last 20 years, you get zero hands-on training, and you will NOT get paid more for being certified. I don't care what anyone tells you, if they say you will start out making more money they are lying! You will still start at entry level pay no matter what so you may as well save you or your parents the 20k. A Dentist will train you exactly the way they want everything done so even if you had some experience they will tell you to forget everything you know and to do XYZ their way.

I still say stay steer clear but if you must, proceed with caution.

I retired from DA in May 2013 and went to another profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

justhorsinrond41@aol.com said: I work in Ca. and I am pretty sure the R.D.A is not supposed to pack cord and take crown master imp. without having extended functions lic. and the dr.s sister without any traing is not to do dentures and master imp. I am considering taking this to the Ca. dental board? Anyone have any advice on the above?

I never went to school and I packed cord and took master crown/denture impressions. I did digital impressions too. A lot of dentists will let you do just about everything if you're good and know what you're doing. Is it legal? Probably not...but he double checked all of my work.

still retired in Hawaii

13 months ago

anon in Roselle, Illinois said: If any of you brave ladies still insist on trying assisting at least heed this one bit of advice from someone that had been in this profession for 15 years: DON'T GO TO DA SCHOOL! Find a Dentist that is willing to train. DA school is scam and a complete waste of 20k. They teach you nothing relevant to dentistry within the last 20 years, you get zero hands-on training, and you will NOT get paid more for being certified. I don't care what anyone tells you, if they say you will start out making more money they are lying! You will still start at entry level pay no matter what so you may as well save you or your parents the 20k. A Dentist will train you exactly the way they want everything done so even if you had some experience they will tell you to forget everything you know and to do XYZ their way.

I still say stay steer clear but if you must, proceed with caution.

I retired from DA in May 2013 and went to another profession.

What did you end up doing? Just curious.

Paige Jackson in Colleyville, Texas

12 months ago

I have been a Dental assistant for 23 years. I originally started in this field in a small town in Texas. The simple fact is that assisting pay hasn't changed one bit in all the years I have been an assistant. Matter of fact it has actually gotten worse. The economy I am sure does play a role in the lack of compensation Dental assistants are receiving in this country or not receiving rather. However we haven't been in a rescission for 23 years. I find it utterly insulting when I talk to other assistants and hear what they are being paid. It is such an offensively low amount considering the job duties and what we are responsible for. This is an insult especially when you consider 85 percent of Dental offices have absolutely no benefits to speak of. Not to mention we must maintain our education all the while. I worked in an office for 12 years during the late 90's up to 2005 before I relocated to Dallas Texas. Big, big mistake! I thought the salaries would be bigger and better in a larger city; needless to say I was sadly mistaken!! The Doctor I left behind has been the one and only doctor I have ever worked with that was respectful, generous, and compassionate plus he compensated us all well. His staff hasn't changed in over 25 years for those exact reasons. I am disgusted that dentists aren't taught in dental school that rule number one is to treat your staff well & with respect. A happy staff makes a happy Doctor and it will reflect that in his practice; over all trickling down to his patients and his wallet. Remember the old simple saying "treat others as you would want to be treated yourself?” I find that most Dentists have arrogance issues, a “God complex” to the point of being laughable. Let me paint a clearer picture for the new up and coming younger assistants. I have nothing but back and neck issues to show for 23 years of dedication to this field. Not a career you can retire on! Steer clear from this career!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brooke in Columbus, Mississippi

12 months ago

Thank you for posting especially with all your experience it carries weight:)

Peter in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

From what I have seen and experienced so far as a student in the DA Program I can only say this... I don't want to finish the program. I mean is too much. The DA has to do everything for very little pay from what I have heard. The majority of the Dentists where I have gone and done my practices are so abusive of their power and belittle the DA. I am just thinking of finishing the spring semester and not continue for the summer. I will transfer to University of Houston and get a Bachelors. I want something better. I do feel all of you guys... I mean geez the DAs are the one who run the office while the Dentist sits on his butt reading a magazine and asks when is the other patient is coming in.... Seriously! Ugh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mrszero in Oregon City, Oregon

11 months ago

Anonymous in Kent, Ohio said: Have any of you complainers ever worked anywhere before you became a DA? EVERY boss is a jerk in today's economy. Every job I have ever had in ANY field has been run by an a**hole. That's just how it is. I am scratching my head wondering why you think it's endemic to the DA field ... ??

After 29 yrs, Because it is. that's why.

IG: hellosuccess

11 months ago

You guys I'm a 21 year old black female. Ive been assisting for about 3 years now. I have an associates degree for dental assistant. CANT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY WENT TO SCHOOL FOR IT. Being black and working in the dental field SUCKS. I'm always critizied about the way I pronounce my words, the way I wear my hair, how I should not discuss my outside life with patients just little things. The worst part is that I'm not from this country, english is my 2nd language but I don't have an accent. I cant wear my hair natural and curly to work. And I can't even slightly go over my weekend with a patient in a professional manner. The patients love me, but the dentist and my coworkers are SO JUDGEMENTAL. OUR DOCTOR ALWAYS THINKS HE IS RIGHT, HE IS JUST AN OVERPAID JERK. This is my 3rd dentist working for now, and to me I get treated like a slave. I am going back to school this yr, and a different career path !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.