Having no experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 182)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

cda in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

59 months ago

Some hygiene programs require a minimum of dental knowlege prior to entering the program. My suggestion is before you put out the money for DA go to your dentist and see if you can job shadow or if he will consider hiring you on a tempory basis since you are interested in Hygiene School. Also, you should know, during hygiene school they are required to take alginate impressions and learn some of the things DA's do. Even though you will almost never see a hygienist take an impression they are required to do it in school. So being a DA first does have it's advantages when going into hygiene school. Personally I wouldn't shell out the money for both, when some offices will hire you off the street and train you for DA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Hi, I would market small practices. Most offices do prefer someone with some experience. However, a lot of the smaller practices are not high volume offices and are willing to train you the way they want you, and sometimes view someone with experience as unable to adapt because they don't want to break habits they acquired over the years. Also, let them know you are willing to sub. or work part time. This will allow you to get your foot in the door and get familiar with how the office works as well as how the doctor works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cory A. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

59 months ago

Caroline in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'm a dental assistant with no experience,I apply every where but no one has called me for interwiews ,I'm getting sad about that,don't know what to do!! any advice please.... to caritochaucca@hotmail.com......Thanks

I would imagine that if anyone in here got hired on as a DA without experiance then these people who's taken 2-4 years in a college or taken 9 dreadful/struggling months out of their working lifes to make it better.... Well its just not something that happens and thats why everyonce who gets hired has been in some type of school where you actually know what your doing before you go into the field AND IN PLUS THE DA IS POSED TO KNOW MORE THAN THE DOCTOR SO IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIANCE IN THE DA FIELD AND YOU THINK A DENTIST IS GOING TO HIRE SOMEONE WHO DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT HIS CEMENTS ARE FOR AN IMPRESSION lets just say he doesnt even want to waste his time training you those 2 years of college stuff that you HAVE TO KNOW before even thinking about applying!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

wow, that was a pretty harsh comment. Not to mention completley way off base. I had no formal training when I entered the DA career field. I was hired off the street and did 6months of OJT and then was sent to take the weekend course/test. 2yrs. of training is not necessary at all. I have worked in many offices over the years and have had no problem getting hired being that I only had OJT and the weekend certification program. Dental Assistant's do not know more than the dentist. If so the title would be D.D.S, not DA. I feel that I am very knowledgeable in my experience but will never be cocky enough to say I know more than the Dentist, know matter how well I do my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

barb in Mount Juliet, Tennessee

59 months ago

cory have you not read all of the blogs when da are saying they got hired on w/o training, or are you just blind? try reading before being stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

despartely seeking in Glencoe, Illinois

58 months ago

I have been seeking a dentist assistant job. I have had 2 interviews One of which they wanted to hire me but the girl I was suppose to replace decided to come back to work full time. Second one required a working interview where i was compared to 3 others with experience and me without it. Of course the one with experience had an edge over me here. I had dentist assisting experience over 17 years ago while i was in high school. But since then I do not have anything current and would need to be retrained. So frustrating knowing at 16 I found this job immediately with no work history what so ever. I am still keeping my hopes high. I know that there will be a dentist that is willing to train. Just need to keep trying and not giving up. I was in the doorway so close that I just know there will be another dentist out there willing to train the right person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

58 months ago

certified Dental Assistant in Pleasant Hill, California said: no dont do a mistake and go for DA first. Go for dental hygiene right away. my goal is to become a hygienist. i went for DA programe..and it wasn't really helpfull. Dentists told me y didnt u go for hygiene straight. DA doesnt really help. SO dont do the same mistake i did. Dont waste your time. if u wanna go to school. register in the Dental hygiene programe.

The Dental Hygiene field is saturated....so if you plan on training, I would first recommend checking out the real "#'s" of R.D.H.'s with "set, regular hours/days" of work to pay the monthly bills....a lot of competition and backstabbing in our field due to the oversaturation....very expensive to train. Do you presently work in any Dental offices? If so, shadow and ask the R.D.H.'s what ben's (if any they receive, many in today's economy and abundance of R.D.H.'s recieve: no med/dent, Ceu's, vacation, bonuses.....if you plan on going into this field, start an IRA NOW, because most of us have to save on our own...retirement ben's ....a dream , not a reality for MOST....GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

si in Salisbury, United Kingdom

57 months ago

dont give up i was in the same boat, but the best thing to do is go in person to your local dentists and see if they will let you work on a voluntary basis, i went in to a few practices and then finally i came across one who were looking to train someone up, and gave me an interview there and then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JWright in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

56 months ago

I'm a dental asst from the militay and I had payed $3,500.00 for a class in Wellington to help me keep up my skills and up date on a new equipment I have been looking form start of Sep/ 09 and here it is 02/10 and still no job. I look every day and I have sent out over 100 email and I used up all of my holiday going on enterview then some even said if I dont speak spanish dont come and other wonted to pay $10 I thought to myself what is really going on in Florida when you check the pay charts the going rate is $15. The DR wont you to work for free down here are they that cheep? So they can drive there BMW?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Le in Chandler, Arizona

54 months ago

Marie in Greenville, South Carolina said: I have been a dental assistant for 23 years now. I am now 42 years old. I cannot see myself continuing in this position for another 20 years. The physical damage to my neck and shoulders is becoming an issue. I have an Associate Degree in applied science. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new direction for my career?

Why don't you do something with dental coding and billing? in oral surgery office www.adcaonline.org/dental-billing-and-coding/education-training/independent-study-program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TH in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

Hello, I completed the Dental Assistant program back in Aug 05 and got my ceritficate and never got into the denatl feild! Now Im getting laid off from my customer service job of 6yrs and feel like its time to do something diffrent. I will try and do some volunteer work to try and get more hands on experience before i take the course again. This time Im going to follow thru and become a RDA. Do anyone think this is a good idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

stacy in Indianapolis, Indiana said: what is the best way to apply for a dental assitant job with no experience

Volunteer some hours maybe at your local dental office.Thats what i

did and 6 months later I got hired!! Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

jdjohnston98 in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri said: Thank you so much! I will do that for sure. :)

You r welcome.Don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikki in Tulsa, Oklahoma

54 months ago

i am a recent graduate from a dental assistant school and cant find one job that will even give me a chance because i have no experience.most places want at least two years exp.even where i interned at wouldnt let me actually assist because they were not comfortable with it.so im comfused.was my 10,000 dollars to go to school for this a waste or what???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doris D in Troy, Michigan

53 months ago

I am looking for a Dental Assistant job, but no experience its a big problem, Dental office won't call you for interview if you don't have experience even i was volunteering
for last 4 month in Dental office which is close to my house still no hopes any suggestions.

salliebear in Temple, Texas

53 months ago

nikki in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: i am a recent graduate from a dental assistant school and cant find one job that will even give me a chance because i have no experience.most places want at least two years exp.even where i interned at wouldnt let me actually assist because they were not comfortable with it.so im comfused.was my 10,000 dollars to go to school for this a waste or what???

I am so sorry you spent so much money. Those people are robbers. I am sick about 2000 so I can imagine how you feel. Again I am so sorry.

dixie in Lakeland, Florida

53 months ago

yes, it's sad that u were charged so much money... years ago dentists use to teach u themselves...

Doris D in Troy, Michigan

53 months ago

Thanks a lot for your reply. Hopefully we both will get job very soon. Hope for the best and good luck for the future.

mlanderos_1718 in Santa Ana, California

53 months ago

Foster in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I'm interested in becoming a dental assistant. I have no experience in the field. Is it possible for dental facilities to hire you without dental knowledge and if so how difficult would that be? I've heard of people getting hired without prior experience, but would I be setting myself up for frustration. I've applied for assisting positions, but surprise surprise no one has called me for interviews.

I AM AN RDA, JUST GOT MY LICENSE AND I CANT GET A JOB.. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE. IM IN THE ORANGE COUNTY, CA AREA IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME..PLEASE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKS mlanderos_1718@yahoo.com

iRePent in Sacramento, California

53 months ago

Anyone have any advice on what to start studying before taking classes? :P I have untill the fall so a couple of months of prep wont hurt. So whats the most important things to make sure you know!? :)

Annette Cartagena-Zamora in Killeen, Texas

52 months ago

I have tried to apply with many of Dental Clinic here in Killeen area to Temple, Austin area and no luck at all because of not having enough experience. I have completed my 7 months course with Everest Institute in Austin Texas plus 160 hrs of Intern at Carus Dental in Killeen Tx. I am a cerfied Dental Assistant plus CPR. I am really starting to lose hope for starting a career as a dental assistant please help.. What do I need to do???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annette Cartagena-Zamora in Killeen, Texas

52 months ago

salliebear in Temple, Texas said: I am so sorry you spent so much money. Those people are robbers. I am sick about 2000 so I can imagine how you feel. Again I am so sorry.

I am in the same situation cant find a job to save my life.. I recently finish Everest Instituted. I have been seeking employment for almost 6 months now and I'm really not feeling any hope.. I thought this was a new beginning to a new life and Career this sucks. I do feel were your coming from sorry and hope everything gets better for you soon.

52 months ago

Annette Cartagena-Zamora in Killeen, Texas said: I am in the same situation cant find a job to save my life.. I recently finish Everest Instituted. I have been seeking employment for almost 6 months now and I'm really not feeling any hope.. I thought this was a new beginning to a new life and Career this sucks. I do feel were your coming from sorry and hope everything gets better for you soon.

Forget it. I knew it was a lost cause before I got out of the class. But I finished it just because I already lost the money. I never got certified or did anything else. Like I said I knew it would be a waste of more money. The people who took my money knew I was wasting it and they didn't care. But maybe someday they will. Their class was a lot smaller this time a round. Maybe people are reading my posts and thinking things over. This brings me some sort of satisfaction anyway. Four students less is losing eight thousand dollars. I wish I could have said "give me a refund and I will not warn others" But of course I couldn't do that so this is the next best thing. And it is all true. Give these people in Bellmead your hard earned money for the dumb DA class and you will be throwing it out the window. Not to mention the time and gas going to the dentist office to train. We had students from Killeen and other areas. Trust me when I say you will not get a job. On their website they used to have testimonials. Now they have none. I am hoping eventually I will no longer see that ad they run every two months. Become a DA. in Ten Weeks. We will Help You Get A Job. Only 1950.00. A lot of money to throw out the window.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

they took my money in Elkton, Maryland

51 months ago

dixieroad44 in Lakeland, Florida said: you are so right. i find some of the women are very difficult to work with.
especially when their is a ring leader...

Took the DATS program ! HUGE RIP OFFF i have gotten turned down from 4 working interviews because i have no clue what im doing.I finished the dats program with a perfect score, because it was all bookwork never even sat chairside. I learned more from these working interviews then i did in the whole DATS program. My thinking is keep trying but my advice is run from DATS!!! they basically taught me how to take xrays and thats about all so i get into these offices looking like an idiot saying i went to school

tlynn in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

51 months ago

I use to live in Plant City, Fl. I went to Ft. Lauderdale and took a weekend course in Expanded Duties, also in radiology. This is how I got my certification along with 6months OJT. That was a few years ago, I have worked in several offices since.
Check into it at Nova South Eastern Dental University. It was all hands on training, the course was great!
Keep applying, some Dentist's prefer to hire people with no experience. They like to train them in their way of doing things. Experienced assistants are often perceived as unable to adapt, also as having bad habits. Meaning, they like to do things their way and not the way of the office, or taking short cuts that are not safe.
Hope this info helps. Good luck!

thao in Madison, Wisconsin

49 months ago

Jennesse in O Fallon, Missouri said: I just finish Dental Assisting curse at Sanford-Brown College an I fell like been ripped off evey where I go and leave my resume the whant 2 to 5 years experiance but how will I get experiance if the dont give you a chace.

I agree. I just finished my dental assistant program in may 2010 and can't seem to find a job!!! i've applied so many times i've lost count. how can i ever get my foot in the door when everyone wants a da with at least 1 year of experience? i feel that in wis. dental assistant are SOL. there's way too many competition here.

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

49 months ago

thao in Madison, Wisconsin said: I agree. I just finished my dental assistant program in may 2010 and can't seem to find a job!!! i've applied so many times i've lost count. how can i ever get my foot in the door when everyone wants a da with at least 1 year of experience? i feel that in wis. dental assistant are SOL. there's way too many competition here.

You can't find one, and I cant quit!

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

49 months ago

That's true. Don't quit. It's hard to find a new one.

49 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: That's true. Don't quit. It's hard to find a new one.

I tried to quit. Begging and begging followed.................

49 months ago

It's good!

49 months ago

people are still throwing their money away on the DA class in Bellmead Texas. I hope they didn't need that two thousand for something else because they just threw it out the window. It is so sad to think of the many people out there that needed that money and just refuse to face reality. I still say eventually the word will get around. But for now they will take your money so don't worry about that. And unlike me you can never say someone did not try to warn you.

49 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: It's good!

why is that good?

49 months ago

It feels good, when someone is begging, but one day the situation may change. Imaging...you are saying "I want to quit" and he says "OK. Go ahead. I can't hold you anymore, you are free to do whatever you want". And what do you do? Quit, of cause, but it will be different QUIT. You will feel that QUIT all of your life. You will try to find out what happened, what changed him...and you will learn, that he's begging already a different assistant or a receptionist, or someone else. The mistake of most women, that they think they are special in all the WORLD...and no one can change it. But it's always someone who is better than you...unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

True!

49 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: It feels good, when someone is begging, but one day the situation may change. Imaging...you are saying "I want to quit" and he says "OK. Go ahead. I can't hold you anymore, you are free to do whatever you want". And what do you do? Quit, of cause, but it will be different QUIT. You will feel that QUIT all of your life. You will try to find out what happened, what changed him...and you will learn, that he's begging already a different assistant or a receptionist, or someone else. The mistake of most women, that they think they are special in all the WORLD...and no one can change it. But it's always someone who is better than you...unfortunately.

He'd probably beg our hygienist too if she quit,but I just wanted to get an assisting job where the doctors in the office were more easy to deal with.the Dr. hit on me all the time too.

Erica1 in Oshawa, Ontario

47 months ago

I graduated in 2001 From Toronto School Of Business it was a 9 month condenced course. then took the CDA exam i passed of course. I worked for about a year and then got pregnant with my 2nd child my husband told me i had to quit working to raise our 2 children until they were in school full time my son just started full time school this year, but i now i am rusty because it's been 9 years since i worked in the field and im now looking to go back to work.And i really can't afford to go back to school to refresh i don't know what to do?

47 months ago

Erica1 in Oshawa, Ontario said: I graduated in 2001 From Toronto School Of Business it was a 9 month condenced course. then took the CDA exam i passed of course. I worked for about a year and then got pregnant with my 2nd child my husband told me i had to quit working to raise our 2 children until they were in school full time my son just started full time school this year, but i now i am rusty because it's been 9 years since i worked in the field and im now looking to go back to work.And i really can't afford to go back to school to refresh i don't know what to do?

temping is a good way of "refreshing", also working for your prev. employers on and off is easy way to get back into it.......

Erica1 in Oshawa, Ontario

47 months ago

Thank you for the advice i really appreciate it:) I will most definately try that.

lyn in Moreno Valley, California

46 months ago

certified Dental Assistant in Pleasant Hill, California said: I have graduated of the Dental assisting programe from Western Career College. I have been looking for a job since that time. it has been exactly 3 months. Everywhere I apply to..they tell me that they need someone who's experienced with a minimum of 2 years. I was telling myself..how can I become an experienced dental assistant, if no one is willing to give me a chance. I have seen and heard from so many people that they work in a dental clinic with no degree or certificate. And they get all the training there. How come I can't find one. I know that i work hard and i never had any problem working in any place, so why can't I find a job to work as a dental assistant when I went to school for it.
Please anyone help if u have an answer to this ... :(

Hello my name is Lyn and I live in california, I read your post and I was wondering have you had any luck with finding a job as a dental assistant. I'm concerned because I have been going through the same experience you have experienced already. I'm ready to give up and look for another career. Any advice you can give me. Thanks very much. smilejanae@yahoo.com32

bee in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

44 months ago

Suman Sharma in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania said: Hi,
I am planning to take Dental Assistant online course from Penn Foster college. Has anyone did from there and was it helpful in getting the job? I would really appreciate the reply very much.
Thanks.

I am never taking dealing with penn foster again they are so messes with they do stuff, I still haven't gotten my dipolma and i graduated last yr from there i'm in the process of looking for a job as a dental assistant but dentist are not hiring they want some one with more training, and im thinking about changing careers!

marie in Seffner, Florida

44 months ago

dee said: The DATS program is worthless, from someone in Tampa who took it.

I agree I took the 9 week program in tampa and have never landed a job it was a waste of money cause no one would hire me with out having experience and being certified.

Nilsa in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri

41 months ago

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida said: Look in the phone book, hand out resumes, call offices, post your resume online. Yea its hard to get into the field and I have 1 year of experience and I went on 10 interviews and tommorow makes the 11th and I'm CDA/RDA and I have an x-ray license.

Hi Tasha,

I cannot offer you a full time job, however I work with the Military providing dental screenings on soldiers some days during the week, but mostly during the weekends. I have an event near you, and I'm looking for three Dental Assistants to help take BWX and chart for the Dentist.

If you're interested, I can be reached via email at nsanmiguel@greatlakesdentalusa.com and/or complete an application on our website www.greatlakesdentalusa.com.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Nilsa

laquasha in Minneapolis, Minnesota

41 months ago

i went to school for my dental assistant training, but i got to the last class with my white coat and i couldnt finish my intern. What can i do?

Brightwarmheart

40 months ago

William in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey said: Hi...I want to get in the dental field...I have no experience...and so far what I see is that all assistants are females. So I'm assuming that it will be even harder for me to get a job because I'm a male?? BTW, i'll be starting college for dental hygiene next fall. I just want to get my foot in the door to get some experience. Any advice thanks.

Hi. I feel you. I just graduated from a dental assisting program and I joined to get experience for dental hygiene..which I start this fall as well. No luck with jobs so I think I am just going to have to volunteer. Good Luck to both of us!

Nelle in San Diego, California

40 months ago

I am kind of having the same problem..... I graduated an 9 month program in Atlanta and had to relocate to San Diego while I was.... I never got to actually work but I did finish my extern and have not found a job luckily my frineds uncle has his own practice where I am going to shadow at to refresh myself and then maybe get hired. Im hoping to volunteer until I can find a job so I will not forget anything.

torriem in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

39 months ago

I was wondering if anyone could answer my dilemma. I took a dental assisting program in '08 and wasnt sure if that's what I wanted to do, so I held off on getting a job....What do I have to do, if anything to refresh my memory and get back on the ball basically???

Sport01 in Lawrence, Kansas

38 months ago

I completed the Penn Foster Dental Assiting program. SAVE YOUR MONEY!! First and foremost, you get no hands on experience. Clinic experience is important. Despite how much information you can get from reading, you dentist want two things, experience and a GREAT PERSONALITY.

Upon taking the DANB Infection Control Exam, I found that nothing that Penn Foster included in their literature for study was even on the exam. I am very happy I took the time to read additional info on the topic on varies websites and books I could find.

I got online and found all the dentist I could find in my area and to my suprise, even without any "experience" I was phone back saying they appreciated my proactive and eager attitude and that was the kinds of person they were looking to hire. They asked me in for an interview and would be willing to train me.

I have also heard that a lot of practices are looking for people without experience, due to their particular was of liking things done, and would rather train, than REtrain you.

Another thing Ive found helpful is to shadow, shadow, shadow. If you know someone in the profession, as to spend a day with them and watch. This inst hands on experience, but it at least counts for something (getting family with set ups, patient interaction, etc.) MUCH better than wasting time and money on any online course.

Charity in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

I am a Graduate of Dental Medicine in Cebu City, Philippines BUT i did not take my board exam already coz my fiance is about to petition me back then and plus.dont have that much money for the board exam and review. Now,im here in Tampa,FL. since 2009 and wasnt able to apply any job bec of immigration thingy and my SSN and by the time all those stuff are OK,I got pregnant! gave birth Jan. 2011...
And now,Im thinking of working as DA and or DH. but I dont know what is the first thing to do.
I dunno if imma be qualify to work here!

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire

37 months ago

Im in the same boat I graduated back in Jan of 2010 and still haven't been able to find a job.

How do they expect us to get experience unless we actually have the opportunity to work.

Most offices want x-ray certified and experience neither of which I have. So everytime I apply somewhere I dont even really get my hopes up anymore due to the fact that I know I wont be what they want.

Is there anything I can do to get a job. I have wanted a job in the career since I was 3, I am 25 now and just want to enjoy what I do for a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sallie in Killeen, Texas

37 months ago

Accept the fact you wasted your money. I have tried to warn others so they don't make the same mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.