Is dental assisting a good career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 150)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

anny in Beaverton, Oregon

42 months ago

[ The government was created to head our military and protect us from people who would love to see us destroyed, not to oversea immoral / mean bosses. It is impossible for a government to regulate morality or police peoples behaviors. Change the things YOU have control over: stop complaining and choose who you want to work for and make ti happen.

To those with unfair bosses or whoever asked for gov't regulation. There are places to file reports to whoever had that problem. The Labor Board, OSHA, Board of Dentistry. Also, if a lay person such as office manager gets in the way of you a licensed professional doing your job that is illegal. Read the laws and regulations on the BOD page. That's how I fought back. I learn a lot about the law working in this field abuse is not part of the job description.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

undervalued in Wellington, New Zealand

42 months ago

Completely agree, as an assistant your happiness is greatly dependant on the dentist or dentists you work for, I have had complete hell with the dentist I work for, his mood swings and his inability to cope with his own stress makes working for him really hard. Be prepared to be someone's punching bag,that said i know he is a good generous man. He is just a horrible boss, self centred, and a social climber (completely pathetic!) altering is bedside manner depending on who HE deems important, whereas everyone should experience the best a dentist can give! I think working in a practice with a rotation of assistants is best, you get better experience working under different circumstances and can get away from the pricks out there occasionally!! I have just asked to be placed once a week with someone else and I'm already much happier.

Tiff in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Where did u get ur training? Does it matter if u go to school for 10 weeks or 9 months for dental assistant?please reply I'm thinkin abt going into this field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Lavon, Texas

42 months ago

I have been a certified dental assistant for over 25 years. Also, I was an instructor of dental assisting for four years.
I am currently working with an orthodontist that really only cares for his patients (as our office manager states it). So he really does NOT care for the employees.
We work long hours, no lunch breaks most days, no raises, no sick days and we are understaffed.
I have NOT had a raise in 3 years and I only make 22.00 an hour with ALL my experience.
He wants to micromanage and pick at the performance of all. He makes you feel like you do not know your job and question your ability.
It seems THE MORE YOU DO THE MORE HE EXPECTS! He does not like any confrontations or problems. He seems to think that a bunch of women working together 12-13 hour days, that there should not be any problems now and again. If there are, HE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

I am miserable at my job and am currently looking into a career change that has nothing to do with dentistry. It is hard to change careers after doing this for so many years. My job is making me have migraines and I dread going to work.
I just wished dentists would see that if they took good care of their staff, the staff would take care of them. If the dentist is lucky enough to surround themselves with dedicated, skilled, experienced people, then WHY not treat them well? Why make them feel like YOU ARE LUCKY to have a job and that they cannot afford a raise for you. Would a dollar more an hour really bankrupt them? They NEED to learn how to MOTIVATE THEIR STAFF!!!!
Frustrated beyond belief!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Belle in Gardendale, Alabama

42 months ago

Why did you stop teaching ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Ocala, FL

41 months ago

Yes, why did you not continue? Did you enjoy teaching dental assisting? I am interested in it myself...

Marie in Lavon, Texas said: I have been a certified dental assistant for over 25 years. Also, I was an instructor of dental assisting for four years.
I am currently working with an orthodontist that really only cares for his patients (as our office manager states it). So he really does NOT care for the employees.
We work long hours, no lunch breaks most days, no raises, no sick days and we are understaffed.
I have NOT had a raise in 3 years and I only make 22.00 an hour with ALL my experience.
He wants to micromanage and pick at the performance of all. He makes you feel like you do not know your job and question your ability.
It seems THE MORE YOU DO THE MORE HE EXPECTS! He does not like any confrontations or problems. He seems to think that a bunch of women working together 12-13 hour days, that there should not be any problems now and again. If there are, HE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

I am miserable at my job and am currently looking into a career change that has nothing to do with dentistry. It is hard to change careers after doing this for so many years. My job is making me have migraines and I dread going to work.
I just wished dentists would see that if they took good care of their staff, the staff would take care of them. If the dentist is lucky enough to surround themselves with dedicated, skilled, experienced people, then WHY not treat them well? Why make them feel like YOU ARE LUCKY to have a job and that they cannot afford a raise for you. Would a dollar more an hour really bankrupt them? They NEED to learn how to MOTIVATE THEIR STAFF!!!!
Frustrated beyond belief!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

govivi1 in Big Spring, Texas

40 months ago

I don't know what to expect. I'm married and I am looking for a job that pays decent and doesn't take too long to be graduated. I was thinking about this field, I'm OK learning about this career and working with people and helping them, but my real passion is animals. I was checking being a vet tech to but they pay very low and take 2 years at least to be graduated. Now, I found this website and it doesn't sound good neither, plus doctor are jerks? I didn't imagine that. (well, the majority). I just want to work in a field that I can enjoy and people appreciate it. Any advices for me? I will appreciate.
My husband is the one who makes the money now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Royse City, Texas

40 months ago

Belle in Gardendale, Alabama said: Why did you stop teaching ?

My husband transferred to a different town from which we were living and I was teaching. Whenever we got settled in Dallas, I interviewed with a few dental assisting schools.
The pay was horrible and way LESS than in a private office. I was really shocked at the salary they were offering.
That is why I turned back towards a private office to assist again.

lalola in Menifee, California

39 months ago

Shan in Dunwoody in Atlanta, Georgia said: In today's economy, Is still there a career in dental assisting field? I'm planning to enroll into a dental assisting program? I want to get some info's about this job before I enroll. I don't want to waste time and money. Anyone could give me an info's? Thanks!

I would say no dont do it !!! I though it would be great ! I went with pediatrics for 3 years and it was slave work and it felt like getting doggy treats from the dentist when she would act like she cared about her 20 employees. She always went on vacation and i would get sent home all the time because they always went by seniority. the dentist was a woman and would be rude and make me feel like an idiot and never good enough. The ladies that worked with me were single moms and ladies that really were just settling for thier job to make the bills. They were always getting sick and moody. So i said screw this im going to college to get my degree. it was a good wake up call so im glad i went through it . Its a job that you dont want to wake up to .

Val in Pompano Beach, Florida

37 months ago

I live in South Florida. I've been thinking to get training for this career. What I've found was, the training for this career is kind of expensive (can't really afford it). I came a cross a school, that is supposedly accredited, but it is a 12 week school for almost $3500. They say it is the same as going to the 9-11 months school, meaning they are offering the same education as the career colleges. The difference is that they are teaching in an actual dental office by a DA trainer and a dentist. It is located at Lauderdale by the Sea. Anybody knows about this school. I can't seem to find out anywhere if this would be a waist of money and just go to "real" school. I really like there schedule since I have a child to take care of.
Would I be able to get a job if I have a certificate from this school???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Central FL

37 months ago

To: Val in Pompano Beach, Florida

Pros & Cons to everything -

12 week program will leave you unprepared (clumsy with new equipment, nervous with patients, take a lot of time to train-there's a LOT to learn), low type of dental asst (no board certifications which means you can't help with as much, no experience-meaning Dr. will try to low-ball you, defeating the purpose), similar to OJT, probably costs similar to an accredited program, BUT I suppose it would be a good choice if you find a nice office b/c many say that each office is different and will have certain things done THEIR way.

12 month program will teach you ALL of assisting do's and don'ts, great stature, you may be in and out of dental offices during the entire 12 mo. duration, they may set you up with externships, it's challenging, especially if you're not used to college, time consuming, but makes you a great asset upon completion, including preparing you for office emergencies, expanded functions, licence to take xrays, etc.

The dental world is very connected & each Dr. will tell another (they all have board meetings) about good & bad things, including assistants that pass through their offices.

You may want to volunteer 1 or 2 days, as much as you CAN, at a local dental office you like (in FL no licence is required to practice as a DA) BECAUSE they may train you personally for THEIR office.

***Volunteering will let you know if you LIKE the career (many people DON'T after going through school) AND it will let the Dr. know you are serious about a job-he, and more importantly his office, may want to train you to his liking-meaning he won't want to let you go if you pick up quick. Good luck to all :)

zmjohnson in Las Vegas, Nevada

36 months ago

I'm barely 18 and i graduated high school with my DA. The doctor i interned with was awesome (which is rare). At that time, i was pretty sure i would love being a DA; getting to work in a professional manner, make more money than my friends who work retail, etc. Then i actually got my first job about 2 months ago and it's a nightmare. i'm making less money than i was in high school. i deal with a complete a$$hole, who's almost made me cry IN FRONT of a patient. i wake up dreading to go to work everyday. my advice for anyone wanting to go into the dental field: go straight to hygiene or chose a different profession.

P.S. I'm applying for retail jobs ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

natalie in Pomona, California

36 months ago

Smile for me. in Boca Raton, Florida said: I agree, a lot of dentist play games and try to belittle you and make you feel stupid. You give me inspiration that there may be a nice DDS out there some place in this world. But- Not enough to go around these days, it feels as if this career is becoming saturated with assistant and not enough good dentists. I met a great Dentist the other day, but he is retired! Why are all the schools stating DA are high in demand... What LIARS! LOL

hi , there i been in dental field for 6 yrs , i worked for 5 doctors already most of them let me go because i was a clean freak. anyways the im working for a dentis that thinks he is the everything and the best always talking high of himself. well im the only assistant in the back and i get so tired, i do about everything set up rooms,xrays, clean rooms, assist, stock rooms, order products for office, clean instruments my instruments plus hygienist instruments,sterilize, put all instruments ans supply away, clean bathroom, clean floors, dust, make sure all rooms xray machine, and other chemicals are updated, he is paying me 24 dollars an hr. no benefits, i feel its unfair because it will be nice if i would get help from the higienist and front office girl that worked as an assistat at her old job, instead they chat all day are on their phone for hours. my boss tells me that he is paying me to do all that, it comes down to me its not about the money anymore, i need help in the back. he is so unfair, I thought about leaving but im afraid i will not find a job, and i have bills and car payment. put yourself in my shoes if you would have to deal with all physical work and a lot of responsibilities im going crazy. i hope im not nagging to much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Royse City, Texas

36 months ago

I, too am a clean freak. I totally understand where you are coming from. The other staff members are such pigs and I am the one that cleans up their messes. I have learned that as long as you do the cleaning up, they will keep expecting you to do it. It seems the MORE you do, the MORE they (dr & other staff) expect you to do. What all I do seems like a list of thankless jobs. So I understand your frustration! I hope things change for you, but by bringing your concerns to the dr, he will only see it as COMPLAINING. I know, I have been there. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriela in San Jose, California

36 months ago

foreigner@bellsouth.net in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I have been a dental assistant for 25 yrs. 23 of them have been spent working at a dental school. The other 2 in private practice. Even though the school doesn't pay as much the benefits,retirement & job security out weight working in private practice anyday. Most dentist in private practice are jerks & are all about the money. That is why I perfer working at a dental school. Training them instead of working for them!

I totally hear you. DDS in private practices are mostly concerned with money. Its really sad in my opinion.

-GABY
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network Of Dental Assistants

36 months ago

Marie in Royse City, Texas said: I, too am a clean freak. I totally understand where you are coming from. The other staff members are such pigs and I am the one that cleans up their messes. I have learned that as long as you do the cleaning up, they will keep expecting you to do it. It seems the MORE you do, the MORE they (dr & other staff) expect you to do. What all I do seems like a list of thankless jobs. So I understand your frustration! I hope things change for you, but by bringing your concerns to the dr, he will only see it as COMPLAINING. I know, I have been there. Good luck!

That's terrible. I really feel for you guys.
Gabriela
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network for Dental Assistants.

36 months ago

natalie in Pomona, California said: hi , there i been in dental field for 6 yrs , i worked for 5 doctors already most of them let me go because i was a clean freak. anyways the im working for a dentis that thinks he is the everything and the best always talking high of himself. well im the only assistant in the back and i get so tired, i do about everything set up rooms,xrays, clean rooms, assist, stock rooms, order products for office, clean instruments my instruments plus hygienist instruments,sterilize, put all instruments ans supply away, clean bathroom, clean floors, dust, make sure all rooms xray machine, and other chemicals are updated, he is paying me 24 dollars an hr . no benefits, i feel its unfair because it will be nice if i would get help from the higienist and front office girl that worked as an assistat at her old job, instead they chat all day are on their phone for hours. my boss tells me that he is paying me to do all that, it comes down to me its not about the money anymore, i need help in the back. he is so unfair, I thought about leaving but im afraid i will not find a job, and i have bills and car payment. put yourself in my shoes if you would have to deal with all physical work and a lot of responsibilities im going crazy. i hope im not nagging to much

WOW. You are just super dental assistant. If i was you. I would redo my resume put all that stuff on it. hand it to him and tell him that you "need" a raise.
-Gabriela
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network For Dental Assistants

Ciara in Modesto, California

36 months ago

I've been reading the comments on this thread at random and I see that some people are recommending dental hygiene. I've been researching dental hygiene as a possible future career, and from what many others who have already been through dental hygiene say, it's not such a great field either. Just look at dental hygiene threads here - contrary to what many people believe, many veteran dental hygienists are actually fed up about being treated badly by bad dentist bosses. Fair bosses are hard to find I guess. Most dentists want part-time dh's so they can avoid giving pensions, benefits, paid vacations, etc. making full-time positions seem few in numbers. There are too many dh's and not enough job openings in contrast to what government stats say. Many dentists would also be willing to hire Associate degree dh's who would accept less pay in place of BS dh's or veteran dh's. The big thing is that you would think dental hygienists would get more respect, but they probably feel like they don't get enough credit either.

Sandra in Sydney, Australia

36 months ago

zmjohnson in Las Vegas, Nevada said: ...it's a nightmare. i'm making less money than i was in high school. i deal with a complete a$$hole, who's almost made me cry IN FRONT of a patient. i wake up dreading to go to work everyday. my advice for anyone wanting to go into the dental field: go straight to hygiene or chose a different profession.

P.S. I'm applying for retail jobs ;)

Forget working for the dental industry - aside from being miserable and poor for your efforts (as you've already discovered), you'll be working in the singularly most hated profession in the world.

All dentists - without exception - are insidiously greedy liars, who will tell you absolutely anything to bleed you dry of money you don't even have.

Dentists are 'takers' and give only pain, misery and lies in return.

When was the last time you came across one who's known for being a 'Dr Fred Hollows of the dental world'? Yeah, I didn't think so....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sammy in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

I have a strong personality and I can't let people walk all over me...doubt I will ever get any respect in this profession. These dentists think they are god, not people. Btw I have a university degree as well, what makes you better than me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anguscole76 in Owings Mills, Maryland

34 months ago

I don't see why there are so many negative comments on here? i'm in the process of going to school to train to become a dental assistant, i've always taken an interest in the field of dentistry, I understand you most people on here are Dental assistants, but i've had many a job where my boss Was not liked at all, Doesn't that apply with and job/field you should take time to find the right office/place to work. I worked with kids for 7 years and what ticked me off the most is when fellow employee's would come to work everyday and complain about how the jobs sucked and they hated the work or did not like dealing with kids, I would always say to them then why are you working here now one is making you work with kids, There are millions of jobs out there.my question to everyone would be and please be truthful.First of all the is any part of being a dental assistant hard or not easy to learn.and secondly is it really worth my time and schooling to be a dental assistant? I've changed my major and area of study to many time but have finally found and area of interest. Thank you and have a wonderful night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anguscole76 in Owings Mills, Maryland

34 months ago

My family dentist is a wonderful person and always has been, He is very supportive of me and everything i do, so i guess you just need to find the right practice/ dentist to work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

32 months ago

"WHERE" you work makes a world of difference. Because we all have jobs and duties and who you are working with is all what it boils down to!
Same duties with a nice dds- friendly staff= pleasant life.
A$$ dds, crabby, backstabbing staff= hellish nightmare.

Dentistry by itself is great. Look for the right office.

Greenthumb in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

31 months ago

Hi all, I have been a dental assistant for 5 years and have some advice for all of you!
1. Get your education at a community/technical college instead of a private college. You will save yourself a lot of $$$. If your program is going to cost you more than 15K, find a program somewhere else. (My 2 year degree cost 7K)
2. If possible, avoid private practices. Try to find a group practice or corporate run practice. Why? You get benefits, 401K, paid vacation, and most importantly: While you work "for" your dentist, he can not fire you if he has a bad day. All the firing/hiring goes through an HR person, and you also have a resource to go to if you are being treated badly.
3. What state you are in makes a big difference in your salary. If your state does not require a dental assistant degree, you will make $10-12/hr. If you *must* be registered through the state to have that job you an expect to make $15-18 starting wage.

I do enjoy my job. I like the variety of dental assisting and enjoy the relationships I have with my patients. In my "corporate-run" office, I get 3 weeks paid vacation, a fair salary with yearly raises, and full benefits. It is a perfect job for someone with kids, as you do not work weekends or holidays and mainly work day hours. Just do your research for your area before you jump into the profession!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

govivi1 in Midland, Texas

31 months ago

Thanks Greenthumb in your advice about this career. You know my passion is to be some day a Vet tech but it's waayyy expensive and takes 2-3 years to finish it. Plus I'm not in my twenties anymore. I'd prefer a career not too expensive, 1-2 yrs max and worthy at the end where I can be OK on my own (bills. Now, I live in Midland, TX. However I may look to move to WA state. Wonder if there dental assistant is on demand? plus I'm bilingual. uh! question: what about those course online? are they OK to be considered? thank u!

SDM2010 in San Antonio, Texas

30 months ago

I down right refuse to do private practice!!!
It's like the doctor's house, they can fire you when they want to. I read how one assistant was fired becuase the wife was jealous and told the Dr to fire her.

Thats why I stay away from PP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

slodell in Toronto, Ontario

26 months ago

I really thank all of you for sharing your experiences of how difficult it is to be a dental assistant. I do believe that all of you will get good Karma in return for taking the time to post your experiences of how hard dental assisting really is because you all can be helping a lot of innocent people out there from making the wrong choice of choosing dental assisting as a career and getting treated unfairly by a lot of dentists. As for those that like being a dental assistant, good for you, as long as you like what your doing that's good.

brenda in Granada Hills, California

25 months ago

Love it! in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I've been a dental assistant for about three years and I absolutely love it. There is never a day when I don't want to go to work. I work for 3 amazing doctors who not only care about their patients, but also about their assistants! They are very good to us. Pay us very good hourly and reward us with handsome bonuses once a month, every month! They also put a lot of money into our 401k accounts! I realize that these offices are hard to come by, but I do know there are others out there. If your fiance has a passion for dentistry, tell her to go for it!

what school did you go to?

brenda in Granada Hills, California

25 months ago

what school did you go to?

alee

24 months ago

I was hired to work in an oral surgery office and I havent assisted in over 5 yrs. Im really stressed out wether I should take it. Will I be able to catch on quick? I have a family and I need it to workout. I would be leaving a comfortable job but would get payed more with assisting and I do enjoy assisting and having a more meaningful job. Any advice?

4PetesSake in Bellingham, Washington

24 months ago

oldstudent724 in New York said:

I'm wondering what type of training program you went through for DA? I'm looking at one that is about 18 weeks versus an AAS degree. I'm facing the elimination of my current job in the next few months, and I currently only make minimum wage. The company already eliminated all insurance benefits, and I don't receive vacation pay, sick pay, holiday pay, etc. I also work grave yard and all Saturdays and many Sundays. I'm really hoping that DA is better than many are stating on here. Surely, it has to be better than what I'm currently experiencing! Some of my coworkers have been on food stamps and selling blood just to get by. Anyway, I really need to get retrained and stabilized sooner rather than later, but will anyone hire me if I go to an 18-week program?

4PetesSake in Bellingham, Washington

24 months ago

natalie in Pomona, California said: hi , there i been in dental field for 6 yrs , i worked for 5 doctors already most of them let me go because i was a clean freak. anyways the im working for a dentis that thinks he is the everything and the best always talking high of himself. well im the only assistant in the back and i get so tired, i do about everything set up rooms,xrays, clean rooms, assist, stock rooms, order products for office, clean instruments my instruments plus hygienist instruments,sterilize, put all instruments ans supply away, clean bathroom, clean floors, dust, make sure all rooms xray machine, and other chemicals are updated, he is paying me 24 dollars an hr . no benefits, i feel its unfair because it will be nice if i would get help from the higienist and front office girl that worked as an assistat at her old job, instead they chat all day are on their phone for hours. my boss tells me that he is paying me to do all that, it comes down to me its not about the money anymore, i need help in the back. he is so unfair, I thought about leaving but im afraid i will not find a job, and i have bills and car payment. put yourself in my shoes if you would have to deal with all physical work and a lot of responsibilities im going crazy. i hope im not nagging to much

Wow! $24 an hour? That's pretty high pay! Really, what also struck me is your statement that you've worked for five dentists in six years. Yikes! Also, how can the hygienist chat on a phone all day? How do you know she's on the phone all day if you're busy in the back anyway?

Jill in Ireland

23 months ago

Alicia in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hi!
well I have been dental assistant for 14 yrs & I made about 45,000 this year! I never intendeds to do this for long term but it has served me well! I live in minneapolis/St. Paul,mn which is a decent size city ... I am 33 yrs old.. own a townhome by myself, drive a nice vehicle & still live decently & have extra $ to travel now & then....it may not be for everyone cause some DR's can be difficult to work with but you learn to demand the respect!! you will make NO money if you work in small rural areas & if you work for a specialist they pay more! I work for a endodontist ...also a great aspect is that you will always be able to find a job anywhere you move!!! i have never had a problem & I am doing alot better than quite a few of my friends that have bachelor or masters degrees who have been layed off do to company downsizeing!! hope this helps!! Alicia

Hi can you give me some info in what a specialist endodintist needs from a dental nurse.. Obviously I know what it's about but I've only worked with general dentist doing RCT but not with a specialist..

kkal in Greensboro, North Carolina

20 months ago

So basically you're saying it's ok for your overpaid dentist to not offer their employees any health insurance. So basically you're a the perfect sucker

jane in Buffalo, New York said: then why my i ask are you a da if you hate it so much-- nit all doc;s are asses as you put it - the doc i work for pays us holiday,vacation pay( i used up my vacation for a week this past july put he decided he was going to take a week off in september- i got paid for it---nice huh-- plus xmas and new years bonus- true i don;t get health insurance but i get all the other perks- please no union-- i have hada couple of jobs that involved unions and all they do is ---nothing for you-- just take your hard earned money-- example places have closed-peolpe laid off because of unions- thanks but no thanks--

Dental Assistant Training Site in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

dental assisting is an excellent career choice and it's also in high demand right now. It's expected to grow over 30% by 2020, which translates into an additional 90,000 dental assistants needed in the workforce.

To learn how to become a dental assistant and find each state's requirements, as well as accredited schools, go to www.dentalassistanttrainingsite.com

Ana in Levittown, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

I have had the worst time finding a Dental Assistant job here in PA. It is horrible. I loved the career while I was in school, then got to my extern and hated it. The dentist was a real jerk, and it was so under staffed I ended up doing twice the work and sometimes didn't get to eat lunch. I was so tired.. I'm 21 and jobless with a big old loan to pay back next month for a career I can't find work in!! I was just considering getting my license in New Jersey but honestly I am now highly considering becoming a Hygienist. They obviously make more money and I just like the idea of being more independent.

exp in Massachusetts

18 months ago

Ana....RDH's are struggling to find work. Oversaturation in our field for the past 6 or so yrs...the school's keep pumping out students so the market is also backstabbing, pay is going down, in some areas to that of a DA, why? , because they can. Very expensive to train and there is no payback, as you can see...with little to no set work. As for the older RDH's, if they have decent employers, they are staying put for a few more years. If you choose to retrain, go medical or teaching = benefit pkgs...many/majority of RDH's get nada...you are on your own for saving, med/dental, no sick or holiday pay or vaca....you pay for all. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Levittown, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Ana....RDH's are struggling to find work. Oversaturation in our field for the past 6 or so yrs...the school's keep pumping out students so the market is also backstabbing, pay is going down, in some areas to that of a DA, why? , because they can. Very expensive to train and there is no payback, as you can see...with little to no set work. As for the older RDH's, if they have decent employers, they are staying put for a few more years. If you choose to retrain, go medical or teaching = benefit pkgs...many/majority of RDH's get nada...you are on your own for saving, med/dental, no sick or holiday pay or vaca....you pay for all. VET

Yeah I can believe that... I feel ripped off. I originally went into this school to become a Medical Assistant, but the guy said it's not in high demand so I should try Dental Assisting. I went through everything, passed all exams necessary and went through my internship. Now that I'm looking for a job, ALL I see hiring are Medical Assistant jobs! I can't find anything even dental related in my area. It cost me $15,000 to do that program. Now I am worried that if I go into Medical Assisting, I'll be wasting money as well. I feel like I can't win.

Prosthodontics

15 months ago

I can understand it very well. I am a Dentist and I have my masters degree in dentistry (MDS) with my specialization in Prosthodontics. I am looking for some job help. Would you be kind enough to guide me please. I can be reached at

ajaysaha.usa@gmail.com

I look forward to learning from you.

Dr. Pachauri

smlmar in Maryland said: I have been an assistant for 2 1/2 years and many days , IT JUST SUCKS. We are overworked and understaffed. The three doctors are all arrogant and rude. They are all about the money, and will use you until you burn out. We don't even have a lunch break, because we have a constant schedule of patients. You have to eat your snacks when you can or you just won't get to eat.

The pay is not great either and there are no benefits. When ever the dentist decides he want to take a vacation you are out of work for the week. Or is you want to take a week off, he is less than thrilled because it messes up his schedule. He won't be able to have as heavy of a work load.

Like some of the other posters said, there is no respect given to assistants. Some days I regret that I did not go into another line of work. Some days I have no motivation to even go to work. The only thing good about the job is that the other two assistants are super nice and we get along great and look out for each other. If I didn't have them I would have quit by now.

Prosthodontics

15 months ago

brenda in Granada Hills, California said: what school did you go to?

I can understand it very well. I am a Dentist and I have my masters degree in dentistry (MDS) with my specialization in Prosthodontics. I am looking for some job help. Would you be kind enough to guide me please. I can be reached at

ajaysaha.usa@gmail.com

Dr. Pachauri

Prosthodontics

15 months ago

ajaysaha.usa@gmail.com

Dr. Pachauri

Gracie said: Ive worked as a Dental assistant for 3 yrs now. I LOVE IT! Don't get me wrong, there are days that are stressful, but that's every career. Anyways my boss is awesome. Treats his patients so well and is protective of his staff. He wants a happy staff and happy patients. The pay is great, Benefits and all that fun stuff. He paid for me to go to school and get my license. Everyday is different, definitely doesn't get boring. Its hard to find a nice doctor to work for... I lucked out! I disagree with the whole "dead end job" thing. I am a single mom and I am going to school for Dental Hygienist , working as a assistant has helped! My daughter's father is a complete tool and has paid not one dime in child support, which is fine (she doesn't deserve is jerk as a father) because thanks to my dental assistant position Ive been able to pay for my car, rent, food , clothes, school and still have money left over to spend on whatever. And best part is, I ONLY work 4 days a week. I highly recommend dental assisting as a career. BUT JUST MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AROUND BECAUSE I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS IN ANOTHER OFFICE AND HER BOSS IS CHEAP! SHE ONLY GETS $12 AND HOUR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

qtpy647 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

15 months ago

smlmar in Maryland said: I have been an assistant for 2 1/2 years and many days , IT JUST SUCKS. We are overworked and understaffed. The three doctors are all arrogant and rude. They are all about the money, and will use you until you burn out. We don't even have a lunch break, because we have a constant schedule of patients. You have to eat your snacks when you can or you just won't get to eat.

The pay is not great either and there are no benefits. When ever the dentist decides he want to take a vacation you are out of work for the week. Or is you want to take a week off, he is less than thrilled because it messes up his schedule. He won't be able to have as heavy of a work load.

Like some of the other posters said, there is no respect given to assistants. Some days I regret that I did not go into another line of work. Some days I have no motivation to even go to work. The only thing good about the job is that the other two assistants are super nice and we get along great and look out for each other. If I didn't have them I would have quit by now.

Can you get a job as a RDA if you did online school; Do they just train you in to get the hands on experience?

C M81 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

14 months ago

I went to school to become a dental assistant because I love helping people and I wanted a career and I think this has been the worst choice I made because I have been out of school since Aug. 2013 and still no job. I am a certified and registered dental assistant but all I ever see is "Must Have Experience". How will I get experience if no one will consider me! I don't know if it's just demographics or what but now I feel as though I have wasted so much time and money for all the certifications because I still have NO JOB! My heart is broken, I was so proud the day I graduated and started putting in resumes only to be ignored or I get the " we decided to go in a different direction", "you don't have enough experience", "we'll keep your resume on file, if experience changes let us know"...... :( now it's looking like I will have to go work in a factory of some sort because no one as if now will take me. Don't believe the commercials you see on TV about how dental assistants as are high in demand at least not where I live.

Sam in Superior, Wisconsin

14 months ago

I usually like the dentist or the staff. You never get the whole complete pie. This work life will take advantage of hardworkers. I noted that just try your best. I usually be quiet to dentist because if their rude I don't communicate. But, again their doctors and still treat them with respect. I have been fired, kindof like Oprah, still keep going. I never miss a day (contractor schedule) and still no respect. LDA for 12 years, taken verbal abuse and impression thrown at me. Alot of bosses out there,just like picking out your husband. Oh wait, thats why I am a single mom and eleven year divorcee. Well hats of to you all, I feel your pain!!!!

Sam in Superior, Wisconsin

14 months ago

Jill in Ireland said: Hi can you give me some info in what a specialist endodintist needs from a dental nurse.. Obviously I know what it's about but I've only worked with general dentist doing RCT but not with a specialist..

I worked for one for six years, paid well and gave raises. Still will fire you out of no where. Just longer procedures, its fun if they let you assist and measure canals. Can be pretty boring, if there isn't much instrument exchanges. Well, the benefits were better than general. I liked both variety and specialty. Puts more on your belt. Good Luck for the future. I've been through alot but keep my chin up!!!

Inscoe18 in Durham, North Carolina

12 months ago

I have been assisting for 25 years in general private practice. Although I respect my employer and appreciate my job and also enjoy what I do as well as know what I'm doing I'm making $7 more dollars an hour than I was 25 years ago. I do have health insurance and they match my 401 deposit monthly. Sometimes though it's not about money. I mean, don't get me wrong, money is why ultimately I am going to work daily. After so many years I see my friends moving up and getting better jobs in their field. It's so discouraging to know as much as I do about dentistry, things that can be taught and not taught. I can totally increase production a ton as I have a relationship also with patients and they trust me as well as dentist. What makes me doubt my choice of staying an assistant is that a new DA can come in fresh out of school and get paid a buck less than I do a hour. It's so degrading. If you live in other states it may be there are other levels of assisting you can work towards? Basically, if you find a great place stick to it. Think about future, make sure you are content without advancement. Good luck!

Inscoe18 in Durham, North Carolina

12 months ago

Inscoe18 in Durham, North Carolina said: I have been assisting for 25 years in general private practice. Although I respect my employer and appreciate my job and also enjoy what I do as well as know what I'm doing I'm making $7 more dollars an hour than I was 25 years ago. I do have health insurance and they match my 401 deposit monthly. Sometimes though it's not about money. I mean, don't get me wrong, money is why ultimately I am going to work daily. After so many years I see my friends moving up and getting better jobs in their field. It's so discouraging to know as much as I do about dentistry, things that can be taught and not taught. I can totally increase production a ton as I have a relationship also with patients and they trust me as well as dentist. What makes me doubt my choice of staying an assistant is that a new DA can come in fresh out of school and get paid a buck less than I do a hour. It's so degrading. If you live in other states it may be there are other levels of assisting you can work towards? Basically, if you find a great place stick to it. Think about future, make sure you are content without advancement. Good luck!

Actually, after I thought about it more. I am only making $5 more dollars a hour (not including health ins/401) than 25 years ago! Now I feel horrible.

positivethinker in Worcester, Massachusetts

11 months ago

I've been a dental assistant for a solid 4 years now (Formally trained on the job),worked with numerous dentists/dental hygienists/and dental staff. They all have all been such great mentors to me most of them even became like family. Kept me motivated everyday to do better I was getting paid $11.00 full time employee making a solid $1200.00 monthly (with tax taken out) health benefits,yearly bonus,and holiday pay. Yes the money isn't much but considering for someone my age (22) with minimal responsibilities that was considered a good deal. Right now I work at another dental office my new boss is just as wonderful as any of the other dentists I had worked with is now paying me $13.00 I'm only part time which I had requested for so I can study for my CDA exam. when I decided to look for a new job to expand my opportunities I was presented with so many interesting factors. I had interviewed and had work interviews with many great dentists who had actually given me better offers some offered $15-$16 an hr. One place offer $24-$30 an hr. I was told by the office who was willing to pay me $24-30 an hr that when I get my CDA they will start me at $25 an hr with great benefits the other certified dental assistants that has been there for years and were getting paid $30 an hr but as a regular DA they can only offer me $20 starting although it would've been smart of me to take the deal. I wanted to think of the bigger picture I took the $13.00 an hr dental office instead due to closer location and with flexible hrs I can focus more on my studies for the CDA exam. I believe with my experience and the qualification I can continue to do more and beyond loving what you do can take you further in your career than going after just the money. Best of luck to all of you! please don't feel discourage there are so many wonderful people and opportunities out there think positive and the universe will give you exactly what you want! :)

gloria86 in Woodland Hills, California

4 months ago

dr philip farzad was one..

michaelh in Seattle, Washington

4 months ago

gloria86 in Woodland Hills, California said: dr philip farzad was one..

You should not be in this profession, it is not right for you. Just step back and see what you have written. 2 and 1/2 years is not enough for describing a well respected profession. Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.