Is dental assisting a good career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 178)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

kla in New Ulm, Minnesota

40 months ago

I am going for dental assisting. having very mixed feelings about it now after reading all of this, i probably should of just stayed away from this page :) hope I end up with a dentist who isnt a jerk - off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Xo in Union City, California

39 months ago

I'm a dental assistant and I enjoy what I do. Yes sometimes Dentist's are jerks but they are just like boss' in any other job. Sometimes things are not done the perfect way or to their expectations and of course they are going to be mean jerks!! But that's the way it is at any job. Over all I like my job and enjoy the diversity in the field. I would recommend it to people. But I still would agree to keep going to school, such as hygiene. The pay for DA's is not the best. And no benefits. I am pregnant and still no benefits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Ocala, FL

39 months ago

jamie in York, Pennsylvania said: I am a CDA and a EFDA. I have been inthe field for over ten years. I have a lot of experience working with different offices and for different doctors.I also teach at one of those 12 month programs. My students get hired at a better rate and have a better grasp on the anatomy and terms that someone who jsut went for three months somehwere.I also work partime in a office and do all the hiring and the Dr will not let me hire someone with out dental experience. You will read all about the negative blogs on here and get discouraged. I have work hard all of my career and am very sucessful and have the respect from all the doctors that I have worked with. If you work hard and have a good attitude you will be sucessful and not misreable in your job. You may find one or two Drs that are jerks to have as a boss but the good ones are out there. my advice is to shadow as many offices that you can so you can see the varitey that is out there.

Hi Jamie in York, Penn. - Do you find the pay and/or benefits better teaching at a school for DA or in an office? I'm looking into becoming an EFDA and starting an accredited 12 month program. It sounds nice to be teaching at DA schools as well, I might look into that too, can you tell me more about it? Difficult getting in, etc.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Ocala, FL

39 months ago

Xo in Union City, California said: I'm a dental assistant and I enjoy what I do. Yes sometimes Dentist's are jerks but they are just like boss' in any other job. Sometimes things are not done the perfect way or to their expectations and of course they are going to be mean jerks!! But that's the way it is at any job. Over all I like my job and enjoy the diversity in the field. I would recommend it to people. But I still would agree to keep going to school, such as hygiene. The pay for DA's is not the best. And no benefits. I am pregnant and still no benefits!

Has anyone experienced a significant pay difference while working at cosmetic or orthodontic dental offices vs. pediatric or family dentists, which I hear are lower? A college friend said her sister is getting paid $20/hr as a receptionist in Orlando/Tampa area...I would think cities in CA, NY and FL would have good paying dental careers since celebrities need to stay on top of that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nelly in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

I would advise to everybody-don't work for rude dentists.It's not right.I have a lot of experience, now I found nice one.I honestly don't like Private small offices, because dentists usually are very rude there. Companies are good for assistants. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lena Kozak in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

Now I know for sure why I feel sick.I am working as a dental assistant for almost 20 years.I am 47 years old and feel I did very big mistake to became dental assistant.Every day I hate my job more and more,but I don't have enought guts start looking for other kind job.Think when you want to became a dental assistant.Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tary in Bronx, New York

38 months ago

Im a dental assistant for 12 years and i love it!!!...the pay is good it depends on where you live!
In NYC a Dental Assistant can Make from 37,000 to 48,000 a year!
Dental assistant will not make that much in alot of other states
im from brooklyn and i work in midtown manhatten my gross is $1140 and my net is 850$ 40hr a week and there is tons of agencys where you can make more working temp!!...Dental assistant is a great career for a nyc resident!...Oh and also Oral Surgen Assistants they make even more!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Portland, Oregon

38 months ago

I would say that dental assisting is a good job as a supplementary income or for young people. If your husband is a main money provider in the family and your paycheck doesn't play an essential role or you are taking prerequsites for a program, dental assisting is a good choice. If you are single and 35+ or have kids, I wouldn't recommend dental assisting as a career.
The job is not stable. It's hard to find an office that works 40 hours a week. Most of them are opened from 31 to 36-38 hours a week. Dentists usually go on vacation three times a year, and you are not paid during those weeks. There are no benefits at all or very minimum. If they offer good benefits, salary is much lower than without benefits. Finding a good office is extremely hard. Even if your hourly salary looks OK (21-23$), your yearly income very rarely exceeds 40K due to instability. There is no potential to grow. Dentists are not interested in your education. You can get additional certificates such as sealant or dental software and they will be happy to give you an extra work, but they still want to pay you as little as possible.
My suggestion is do not stay in dental assisting for a long time. Five years for this "career" is more than enough. Find a way to take prerequisites and go back to college to pursue something more stable and well-paid in a long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Aurora, Colorado

38 months ago

Yikes! I just graduated from an accredited school and Im taking my DAMB exam soon! I also Have an AA degree in applied science, but hearing all the negative reviews and spending my first two days as a extern at a office that I HATED Im thinking of ditching this career choice and going too school for hygiene or maybe even an xray tech since I have my prerequisites! Im 22years old and I dont want to waste years in a career that I will hate and be treated like crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca L in Richmond, Virginia

38 months ago

Don't you mean DANB, truth be known Externships suck. I am finishing my program in the fall and I fully intend after a few years going back to school for Hygiene though with the trends going the way they are I am certain give it 10 years we will be seeing Dental therapists. Always check to see what is happening in your state. Virginia is going through changes right now and I forsee a universal dental feild.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Ocala, FL

38 months ago

Leslie in Aurora,
Don't fret! I've heard from many people that there are some offices who are crazy and treat assistants poorly (there was even an office in orlando or tampa on the news where the dentist was combative with a patient and was sent to jail) But there's good and bad with every field...my fiance has a full scholarship for & is nearing completion of his 2yr rad degree, hospital staff, nurses, and dr.s are impatient, run you ragged and call for useless exams detrimental to patients health, act high school-ish, and try to start arguments/fights, so remember, especially in healthcare, you will hear negatives. If you're doing an externship & the office is not friendly, they must be old, withered and tired of their jobs, thinking they are better than students. Since your almost finished, the benefits will outweigh the negatives one may encounter in this field - don't forget you can always try volunteering or temping around offices to get a feel for your favorites. DON'T WORRY! You'll be able to travel anywhere with a great job, I'm hoping to start school to do the same in a month or two :) Have fun!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

I agree, most DDS are poor communicators with a bad heart. I've had my RDA for 5 years and regret ever paying for schooling. Luckily I continued my education and now have a BS in communication. I'm now looking for a new career. During my entire dental experience, my employer discouraged higher education and assigned me to janitorial tasks. Dental assistants are smart and deserve higher treatment than what is currently being bestowed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Mesa, Arizona

38 months ago

The pay is actually pretty decent for the amount of training it takes. This isn't a career that requires even an associates degree, you just need to find a program that's short and will prepare you to take any licensing exams. Dental assisting is the type of career that people take because they don't want to spend years in college and live a mediocre life with a mediocre income. They are in demand, however advancement opportunities are very limited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jose in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I've been a registered dental assistant for about a year now. You may say that one year isnt enough to know the field, but i've worked with dental assistants that have been working as DAs for over 30 years, and i absorbed everything they told me.

They were right about telling me " It all depends on the dentist you work for " If you work for a dentist, and that dentist is nice, your livelihood will be really good, but if you work for a dentist that is arrogant, self centered, and abusive, that will reflect straight into your life. So when you apply for a job, do some research, ask around about that office. And even better yet, ask to become a volunteer at that office and work for free for a week, and you'll see everything that goes around that office. Thats what i've been doing, and thats what i did when i started, i apply for a volunteer dental assistant position, and after one week, if i find my enviroment to be good, i stay! if not, im out the door.

Dental Assisting is a great profession if you love dentistry and want people to depend on you. Further more, its something you have to ask your self, Do you want to be working in people's mouth all day and hate it? or do you want to be working in people's mouth all day and love it! because you know you're helping some one's oral hygiene ? Its up to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mimidds in West Bloomfield, Michigan

38 months ago

i am trying to look foe a forum for associate dentists but there are none, i am five years out of dds school and it has been the hardest thing to find a decent dental office to work for as an associate dentist, which is why most get their own office as soon as they can, but i am not in a position where i can do that right now,
i would like to know are there other dentists in a similar situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tasha in Alhambra, California

38 months ago

davidmg in Baldwinsville, New York said: My fiance is considering becoming a dental assistant in Syracuse NY. Her father has several dentists as clients in his business, He's telling her that his friends say dental assisting is a dead end job with bad pay no benefits no future and no respect. That is contrary to what i have found but shes questioning her plans. I need some input from young people in the field. Any information or experiences would be appreciated. Thankyou

Tell your fiance to not even think about it, Ive been a dental assistant for a year and a half and i hate it. When you sign up to school the reps tell you it's a great job, good pay, and lots of jobs available, that is all a lie. Right now I've looked everywhere for a different job and theres nothing, if there is they offer you very little pay and most offices have no benefits. Most dentist are jerks i really had no idea that they could be this bad they only care about themselves and making money your the last thing they care about honestly, tell your fiance to do something else that takes more time like a LVN its 3 to 4 months longer but its worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KUUZ in Toronto, Ontario

38 months ago

tasha in Alhambra, California said: Tell your fiance to not even think about it, Ive been a dental assistant for a year and a half and i hate it. When you sign up to school the reps tell you it's a great job, good pay, and lots of jobs available, that is all a lie. Right now I've looked everywhere for a different job and theres nothing, if there is they offer you very little pay and most offices have no benefits. Most dentist are jerks i really had no idea that they could be this bad they only care about themselves and making money your the last thing they care about honestly, tell your fiance to do something else that takes more time like a LVN its 3 to 4 months longer but its worth it.

THAT'S EXCATLY WHAT MY FEELING NOW... I JUST KEEP THINKING SWITCHING JOB IN EVERY SINGLE MINUTE-- NO BENIFT ...NO HOURS PROTECTION...NO RESPECT...NO DIGNITY...AND FACING THOSE JERKS EVERY DAY... EVEN THOSE I'M IN THIS FIELD 2 YEARS, I'M SICK OF IT...

GOD FORBIDDEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jacquelyn in Lehigh Acres, Florida

37 months ago

Tary in Bronx, New York said: Im a dental assistant for 12 years and i love it!!!...the pay is good it depends on where you live!
In NYC a Dental Assistant can Make from 37,000 to 48,000 a year!
Dental assistant will not make that much in alot of other states
im from brooklyn and i work in midtown manhatten my gross is $1140 and my net is 850$ 40hr a week and there is tons of agencys where you can make more working temp!!...Dental assistant is a great career for a nyc resident!...Oh and also Oral Surgen Assistants they make even more!!!

Tary,

I currently live in Florida although I am from Long Island. I was up in NYC working as a Dental Assistant for 4 months in 2006. I only had 1.5 years of experience then, but now I have 6 in General Dentistry. I was working in a Pedo office on the Upper East Side and only making $16hr. I didn't know where to find temp agencies or anything like that. I had heard that Dental Assistants made more in the range of what you speak of. Can you tell me the names of any Dental Temp agencies up in NYC? I was considering moving back in the near future. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tracy703 in San Diego, California

35 months ago

Hello. I'm about to start a 10 week in office DA program. Can anyone tell me if these kind of programs are worth the $2500? Will I be able to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

35 months ago

tracy703 in San Diego, California said: Hello. I'm about to start a 10 week in office DA program. Can anyone tell me if these kind of programs are worth the $2500? Will I be able to get a job?

The answer on your question is "no". Job market in San Diego is very tough. Salaries are very low. Even if you are able to find a job after the program, your starting salary will be $8-10 an hour. They offer $12 an hour for new grads with X-ray, coronal polishing, CPR. I would never spend $2500 on 10 weeks program. It's a reep-off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

35 months ago

Lora in La Jolla, California said: reep-off.

Sorry, reep-off =rip-off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

G-Cruz in Dickson, Tennessee

34 months ago

foreigner@bellsouth.net in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I have been a dental assistant for 25 yrs. 23 of them have been spent working at a dental school. The other 2 in private practice. Even though the school doesn't pay as much the benefits,retirement & job security out weight working in private practice anyday. Most dentist in private practice are jerks & are all about the money. That is why I perfer working at a dental school. Training them instead of working for them!

How do you apply for a job working at a school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EFDA in Merrillville, Indiana

33 months ago

You better just stay where you are at. That sounds like you work for
An awesome Dentist and there is very very few of them!!!!

QUOTE who="da in la in Laverne, Oklahoma"]I work for a great dentist. I live in a very small town and this is a small office. I do all the cleaning and the maintenance on everything. My boss appreciates me and tells me. She will even take out the trash and help clean up the operatories. She is awesome. I am worried because I am wanting to make a move to New Braunfels, TX. It is near my kids and grandkids. All the comments on here make me want to stay right where I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Indira in El Paso, Texas

32 months ago

me in az in Peoria, Arizona said: With any job there is always going to be people that we have to answer to. Everyone has a boss. I do not see being a DA any different. In the medical field I would suppose that a DA could be compared to an LPN since her boss is the RN and then the doctor. I see LPN as a nice little career with a year of schooling that gets you into the workforce, and that is respectable. People here seem to compare being a DA to working at Mc Donalds or something. I think being a DA is respectable. I believe if you know your place, show from within your happiness with who you are, then you will be respected. It is when people want to be more, and they do not know how to get along with authority that people began to hate their jobs.

I like one of the previous post were the DA says, "hey, because of this job I am my own women, who can pay my bills and take care of my kid." That is very respectable. I say if DA is too low for you than maybe you should be the office manager, try to go for it or maybe if you feel the doctor does not care enough for the patients than go back to school and become the doctor, but please do not discourage people from wanting to earn an honest living doing something!

I definatly agree .ANYWHERE you go or work there will always be one jerk but hey that's part of life right same thing even if you are a person with the highest degree a doctor whatsoever they deal with a bunch of stress to sometimes there unappreciated for there work.so yeah if dental assistant is a career that people choose to why discourage .There's many places to work for as a dental assistant.nobody said to stay there with a jerk boss move on and look! Everythings worth a try when you keep looking THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

photo in Muscatine, Iowa

32 months ago

Love it! in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I've been a dental assistant for about three years and I absolutely love it. There is never a day when I don't want to go to work. I work for 3 amazing doctors who not only care about their patients, but also about their assistants! They are very good to us. Pay us very good hourly and reward us with handsome bonuses once a month, every month! They also put a lot of money into our 401k accounts! I realize that these offices are hard to come by, but I do know there are others out there. If your fiance has a passion for dentistry, tell her to go for it!

Thanks for posting something positive...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn in Lehigh Acres, Florida

32 months ago

I have deffinately had a positive experience as a Dental Assistant also. I started at $12 an hr. and in 6 years have made it up to $19 an hr. I've worked in a few different offices, corporate and private. Although I work for a very nice Doctor (private) I am deffinately lacking in benefits. I have paid holidays/paid vacation (2 weeks after 3 years)/ 6 sick days per year. $100 monthly towards health insurance. Also, some kind of Retirement savings that they contribute believe me it isn't much. Other offices sometimes provide (monthly or quarterly bonuses, health insurance paid half you/half them, Christmas bonuses, I've even heard of Doctors taking their staff on cruises!) My advice to the new Dental Assistants coming into this field is KNOW WHAT YOU'RE WORTH. Don't settle for $12 an hr. when you have 4 years of experience and know that there are offices out there that do have health insurance. Good luck to all of you. : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn in Lehigh Acres, Florida

32 months ago

Tary in Bronx, New York said: Im a dental assistant for 12 years and i love it!!!...the pay is good it depends on where you live!
In NYC a Dental Assistant can Make from 37,000 to 48,000 a year!
Dental assistant will not make that much in alot of other states
im from brooklyn and i work in midtown manhatten my gross is $1140 and my net is 850$ 40hr a week and there is tons of agencys where you can make more working temp!!...Dental assistant is a great career for a nyc resident!...Oh and also Oral Surgen Assistants they make even more!!!

I'm just interested in how much an oral surgery assistant can make in NYC? Also, do you know how much an Orthodontic assistant can make in NYC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kneec in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

Tary in Bronx, New York said: Im a dental assistant for 12 years and i love it!!!...the pay is good it depends on where you live!
In NYC a Dental Assistant can Make from 37,000 to 48,000 a year!
Dental assistant will not make that much in alot of other states
im from brooklyn and i work in midtown manhatten my gross is $1140 and my net is 850$ 40hr a week and there is tons of agencys where you can make more working temp!!...Dental assistant is a great career for a nyc resident!...Oh and also Oral Surgen Assistants they make even more!!!

You're making $28.50 an hour. That's great! I just graduated & got my certificate. I'm supposed to start my internship in a week and after that I will be applying to a bunch of agencies. Could you recommend an agency in the Bronx or Manhattan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anny in Beaverton, Oregon

30 months ago

ALL DA'S NEED RESPECT in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Giving a DDS a licenses, is giving them a licenses to ROB & STEEL. Almost ALL are thieves. If not for DA's they would not have a practice. When you enter the office you are entering into a hrly relationship, with abuse!
Neither OSHA nor the Government monitors the Dental Dirty Crooks, they need to be REGULATED! I have seen so much stuff that if I was to write a book I would have to go into hiding for life. I have seen them charge their own parents, {who paid for their education}, take the last $$ of the elderly, do work that is not needed. They claim to be so high and mighty. You all are correct, 98% do NOT provide benefits. If you need work done they make you pay for it, or refuse to help. They are predigest in all breeds. They do not follow HOSA Laws. It is sad because it needs to be looked into. Talking cross-contamination!
My family asked to follow my footsteps, I refused to allow it.
If you say Kaplan is regret! Please don't go to Sanford Brown Inst. They are a Rip-off!!
THINK AGAIN ABOUT THE DISAPOINTING CAREER AS A “DENTAL ASSISTANT” I Have 20+ yrs. I am trying to get out.
Good Luck to All DA’s

Yes this is so. I prefer to work for the DMO's if ever because they are more regulated by OSHA and uniform in their standards. Private practice is risky a lot of potentially shady Dr.'s there esp small towns watch out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

restorationgirl in Hendersonville, North Carolina

30 months ago

Any complainer in this forum is free to chose another profession since they hate doing DA so much. There was a mention of 'the government has to get involved.' The government was created to head our military and protect us from people who would love to see us destroyed, not to oversea immoral / mean bosses. It is impossible for a government to regulate morality or police peoples behaviors. Change the things YOU have control over: stop complaining and choose who you want to work for and make ti happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

restorationgirl in Hendersonville, North Carolina

30 months ago

jacquelyn in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: I have deffinately had a positive experience as a Dental Assistant also. I started at $12 an hr. and in 6 years have made it up to $19 an hr. I've worked in a few different offices, corporate and private. Although I work for a very nice Doctor (private) I am deffinately lacking in benefits. I have paid holidays/paid vacation (2 weeks after 3 years)/ 6 sick days per year. $100 monthly towards health insurance. Also, some kind of Retirement savings that they contribute believe me it isn't much. Other offices sometimes provide (monthly or quarterly bonuses, health insurance paid half you/half them, Christmas bonuses, I've even heard of Doctors taking their staff on cruises!) My advice to the new Dental Assistants coming into this field is KNOW WHAT YOU'RE WORTH. Don't settle for $12 an hr. when you have 4 years of experience and know that there are offices out there that do have health insurance. Good luck to all of you. : )

If you have a boss contributing to retirement you can count yourself one of the lucky few in America. Not many companies do that anymore, nor is it their responsibility to do so. It's our responsibility to save towards our retirement needs. Good for you to have a kind-hearted boss!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anny in Beaverton, Oregon

30 months ago

[ The government was created to head our military and protect us from people who would love to see us destroyed, not to oversea immoral / mean bosses. It is impossible for a government to regulate morality or police peoples behaviors. Change the things YOU have control over: stop complaining and choose who you want to work for and make ti happen.

To those with unfair bosses or whoever asked for gov't regulation. There are places to file reports to whoever had that problem. The Labor Board, OSHA, Board of Dentistry. Also, if a lay person such as office manager gets in the way of you a licensed professional doing your job that is illegal. Read the laws and regulations on the BOD page. That's how I fought back. I learn a lot about the law working in this field abuse is not part of the job description.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

undervalued in Wellington, New Zealand

30 months ago

Completely agree, as an assistant your happiness is greatly dependant on the dentist or dentists you work for, I have had complete hell with the dentist I work for, his mood swings and his inability to cope with his own stress makes working for him really hard. Be prepared to be someone's punching bag,that said i know he is a good generous man. He is just a horrible boss, self centred, and a social climber (completely pathetic!) altering is bedside manner depending on who HE deems important, whereas everyone should experience the best a dentist can give! I think working in a practice with a rotation of assistants is best, you get better experience working under different circumstances and can get away from the pricks out there occasionally!! I have just asked to be placed once a week with someone else and I'm already much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiff in Dallas, Texas

29 months ago

Where did u get ur training? Does it matter if u go to school for 10 weeks or 9 months for dental assistant?please reply I'm thinkin abt going into this field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Lavon, Texas

29 months ago

I have been a certified dental assistant for over 25 years. Also, I was an instructor of dental assisting for four years.
I am currently working with an orthodontist that really only cares for his patients (as our office manager states it). So he really does NOT care for the employees.
We work long hours, no lunch breaks most days, no raises, no sick days and we are understaffed.
I have NOT had a raise in 3 years and I only make 22.00 an hour with ALL my experience.
He wants to micromanage and pick at the performance of all. He makes you feel like you do not know your job and question your ability.
It seems THE MORE YOU DO THE MORE HE EXPECTS! He does not like any confrontations or problems. He seems to think that a bunch of women working together 12-13 hour days, that there should not be any problems now and again. If there are, HE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

I am miserable at my job and am currently looking into a career change that has nothing to do with dentistry. It is hard to change careers after doing this for so many years. My job is making me have migraines and I dread going to work.
I just wished dentists would see that if they took good care of their staff, the staff would take care of them. If the dentist is lucky enough to surround themselves with dedicated, skilled, experienced people, then WHY not treat them well? Why make them feel like YOU ARE LUCKY to have a job and that they cannot afford a raise for you. Would a dollar more an hour really bankrupt them? They NEED to learn how to MOTIVATE THEIR STAFF!!!!
Frustrated beyond belief!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Belle in Gardendale, Alabama

29 months ago

Why did you stop teaching ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Ocala, FL

29 months ago

Yes, why did you not continue? Did you enjoy teaching dental assisting? I am interested in it myself...

Marie in Lavon, Texas said: I have been a certified dental assistant for over 25 years. Also, I was an instructor of dental assisting for four years.
I am currently working with an orthodontist that really only cares for his patients (as our office manager states it). So he really does NOT care for the employees.
We work long hours, no lunch breaks most days, no raises, no sick days and we are understaffed.
I have NOT had a raise in 3 years and I only make 22.00 an hour with ALL my experience.
He wants to micromanage and pick at the performance of all. He makes you feel like you do not know your job and question your ability.
It seems THE MORE YOU DO THE MORE HE EXPECTS! He does not like any confrontations or problems. He seems to think that a bunch of women working together 12-13 hour days, that there should not be any problems now and again. If there are, HE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

I am miserable at my job and am currently looking into a career change that has nothing to do with dentistry. It is hard to change careers after doing this for so many years. My job is making me have migraines and I dread going to work.
I just wished dentists would see that if they took good care of their staff, the staff would take care of them. If the dentist is lucky enough to surround themselves with dedicated, skilled, experienced people, then WHY not treat them well? Why make them feel like YOU ARE LUCKY to have a job and that they cannot afford a raise for you. Would a dollar more an hour really bankrupt them? They NEED to learn how to MOTIVATE THEIR STAFF!!!!
Frustrated beyond belief!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

govivi1 in Big Spring, Texas

28 months ago

I don't know what to expect. I'm married and I am looking for a job that pays decent and doesn't take too long to be graduated. I was thinking about this field, I'm OK learning about this career and working with people and helping them, but my real passion is animals. I was checking being a vet tech to but they pay very low and take 2 years at least to be graduated. Now, I found this website and it doesn't sound good neither, plus doctor are jerks? I didn't imagine that. (well, the majority). I just want to work in a field that I can enjoy and people appreciate it. Any advices for me? I will appreciate.
My husband is the one who makes the money now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Royse City, Texas

28 months ago

Belle in Gardendale, Alabama said: Why did you stop teaching ?

My husband transferred to a different town from which we were living and I was teaching. Whenever we got settled in Dallas, I interviewed with a few dental assisting schools.
The pay was horrible and way LESS than in a private office. I was really shocked at the salary they were offering.
That is why I turned back towards a private office to assist again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lalola in Menifee, California

27 months ago

Shan in Dunwoody in Atlanta, Georgia said: In today's economy, Is still there a career in dental assisting field? I'm planning to enroll into a dental assisting program? I want to get some info's about this job before I enroll. I don't want to waste time and money. Anyone could give me an info's? Thanks!

I would say no dont do it !!! I though it would be great ! I went with pediatrics for 3 years and it was slave work and it felt like getting doggy treats from the dentist when she would act like she cared about her 20 employees. She always went on vacation and i would get sent home all the time because they always went by seniority. the dentist was a woman and would be rude and make me feel like an idiot and never good enough. The ladies that worked with me were single moms and ladies that really were just settling for thier job to make the bills. They were always getting sick and moody. So i said screw this im going to college to get my degree. it was a good wake up call so im glad i went through it . Its a job that you dont want to wake up to .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Val in Pompano Beach, Florida

25 months ago

I live in South Florida. I've been thinking to get training for this career. What I've found was, the training for this career is kind of expensive (can't really afford it). I came a cross a school, that is supposedly accredited, but it is a 12 week school for almost $3500. They say it is the same as going to the 9-11 months school, meaning they are offering the same education as the career colleges. The difference is that they are teaching in an actual dental office by a DA trainer and a dentist. It is located at Lauderdale by the Sea. Anybody knows about this school. I can't seem to find out anywhere if this would be a waist of money and just go to "real" school. I really like there schedule since I have a child to take care of.
Would I be able to get a job if I have a certificate from this school???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Central FL

25 months ago

To: Val in Pompano Beach, Florida

Pros & Cons to everything -

12 week program will leave you unprepared (clumsy with new equipment, nervous with patients, take a lot of time to train-there's a LOT to learn), low type of dental asst (no board certifications which means you can't help with as much, no experience-meaning Dr. will try to low-ball you, defeating the purpose), similar to OJT, probably costs similar to an accredited program, BUT I suppose it would be a good choice if you find a nice office b/c many say that each office is different and will have certain things done THEIR way.

12 month program will teach you ALL of assisting do's and don'ts, great stature, you may be in and out of dental offices during the entire 12 mo. duration, they may set you up with externships, it's challenging, especially if you're not used to college, time consuming, but makes you a great asset upon completion, including preparing you for office emergencies, expanded functions, licence to take xrays, etc.

The dental world is very connected & each Dr. will tell another (they all have board meetings) about good & bad things, including assistants that pass through their offices.

You may want to volunteer 1 or 2 days, as much as you CAN, at a local dental office you like (in FL no licence is required to practice as a DA) BECAUSE they may train you personally for THEIR office.

***Volunteering will let you know if you LIKE the career (many people DON'T after going through school) AND it will let the Dr. know you are serious about a job-he, and more importantly his office, may want to train you to his liking-meaning he won't want to let you go if you pick up quick. Good luck to all :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

zmjohnson in Las Vegas, Nevada

24 months ago

I'm barely 18 and i graduated high school with my DA. The doctor i interned with was awesome (which is rare). At that time, i was pretty sure i would love being a DA; getting to work in a professional manner, make more money than my friends who work retail, etc. Then i actually got my first job about 2 months ago and it's a nightmare. i'm making less money than i was in high school. i deal with a complete a$$hole, who's almost made me cry IN FRONT of a patient. i wake up dreading to go to work everyday. my advice for anyone wanting to go into the dental field: go straight to hygiene or chose a different profession.

P.S. I'm applying for retail jobs ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

natalie in Pomona, California

24 months ago

Smile for me. in Boca Raton, Florida said: I agree, a lot of dentist play games and try to belittle you and make you feel stupid. You give me inspiration that there may be a nice DDS out there some place in this world. But- Not enough to go around these days, it feels as if this career is becoming saturated with assistant and not enough good dentists. I met a great Dentist the other day, but he is retired! Why are all the schools stating DA are high in demand... What LIARS! LOL

hi , there i been in dental field for 6 yrs , i worked for 5 doctors already most of them let me go because i was a clean freak. anyways the im working for a dentis that thinks he is the everything and the best always talking high of himself. well im the only assistant in the back and i get so tired, i do about everything set up rooms,xrays, clean rooms, assist, stock rooms, order products for office, clean instruments my instruments plus hygienist instruments,sterilize, put all instruments ans supply away, clean bathroom, clean floors, dust, make sure all rooms xray machine, and other chemicals are updated, he is paying me 24 dollars an hr. no benefits, i feel its unfair because it will be nice if i would get help from the higienist and front office girl that worked as an assistat at her old job, instead they chat all day are on their phone for hours. my boss tells me that he is paying me to do all that, it comes down to me its not about the money anymore, i need help in the back. he is so unfair, I thought about leaving but im afraid i will not find a job, and i have bills and car payment. put yourself in my shoes if you would have to deal with all physical work and a lot of responsibilities im going crazy. i hope im not nagging to much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Royse City, Texas

24 months ago

I, too am a clean freak. I totally understand where you are coming from. The other staff members are such pigs and I am the one that cleans up their messes. I have learned that as long as you do the cleaning up, they will keep expecting you to do it. It seems the MORE you do, the MORE they (dr & other staff) expect you to do. What all I do seems like a list of thankless jobs. So I understand your frustration! I hope things change for you, but by bringing your concerns to the dr, he will only see it as COMPLAINING. I know, I have been there. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gabriela in San Jose, California

24 months ago

foreigner@bellsouth.net in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I have been a dental assistant for 25 yrs. 23 of them have been spent working at a dental school. The other 2 in private practice. Even though the school doesn't pay as much the benefits,retirement & job security out weight working in private practice anyday. Most dentist in private practice are jerks & are all about the money. That is why I perfer working at a dental school. Training them instead of working for them!

I totally hear you. DDS in private practices are mostly concerned with money. Its really sad in my opinion.

-GABY
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network Of Dental Assistants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriela in San Jose, California

24 months ago

Marie in Royse City, Texas said: I, too am a clean freak. I totally understand where you are coming from. The other staff members are such pigs and I am the one that cleans up their messes. I have learned that as long as you do the cleaning up, they will keep expecting you to do it. It seems the MORE you do, the MORE they (dr & other staff) expect you to do. What all I do seems like a list of thankless jobs. So I understand your frustration! I hope things change for you, but by bringing your concerns to the dr, he will only see it as COMPLAINING. I know, I have been there. Good luck!

That's terrible. I really feel for you guys.
Gabriela
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network for Dental Assistants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriela in San Jose, California

24 months ago

natalie in Pomona, California said: hi , there i been in dental field for 6 yrs , i worked for 5 doctors already most of them let me go because i was a clean freak. anyways the im working for a dentis that thinks he is the everything and the best always talking high of himself. well im the only assistant in the back and i get so tired, i do about everything set up rooms,xrays, clean rooms, assist, stock rooms, order products for office, clean instruments my instruments plus hygienist instruments,sterilize, put all instruments ans supply away, clean bathroom, clean floors, dust, make sure all rooms xray machine, and other chemicals are updated, he is paying me 24 dollars an hr . no benefits, i feel its unfair because it will be nice if i would get help from the higienist and front office girl that worked as an assistat at her old job, instead they chat all day are on their phone for hours. my boss tells me that he is paying me to do all that, it comes down to me its not about the money anymore, i need help in the back. he is so unfair, I thought about leaving but im afraid i will not find a job, and i have bills and car payment. put yourself in my shoes if you would have to deal with all physical work and a lot of responsibilities im going crazy. i hope im not nagging to much

WOW. You are just super dental assistant. If i was you. I would redo my resume put all that stuff on it. hand it to him and tell him that you "need" a raise.
-Gabriela
www.daimpressions.com
A Social Network For Dental Assistants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ciara in Modesto, California

24 months ago

I've been reading the comments on this thread at random and I see that some people are recommending dental hygiene. I've been researching dental hygiene as a possible future career, and from what many others who have already been through dental hygiene say, it's not such a great field either. Just look at dental hygiene threads here - contrary to what many people believe, many veteran dental hygienists are actually fed up about being treated badly by bad dentist bosses. Fair bosses are hard to find I guess. Most dentists want part-time dh's so they can avoid giving pensions, benefits, paid vacations, etc. making full-time positions seem few in numbers. There are too many dh's and not enough job openings in contrast to what government stats say. Many dentists would also be willing to hire Associate degree dh's who would accept less pay in place of BS dh's or veteran dh's. The big thing is that you would think dental hygienists would get more respect, but they probably feel like they don't get enough credit either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Sydney, Australia

24 months ago

zmjohnson in Las Vegas, Nevada said: ...it's a nightmare. i'm making less money than i was in high school. i deal with a complete a$$hole, who's almost made me cry IN FRONT of a patient. i wake up dreading to go to work everyday. my advice for anyone wanting to go into the dental field: go straight to hygiene or chose a different profession.

P.S. I'm applying for retail jobs ;)

Forget working for the dental industry - aside from being miserable and poor for your efforts (as you've already discovered), you'll be working in the singularly most hated profession in the world.

All dentists - without exception - are insidiously greedy liars, who will tell you absolutely anything to bleed you dry of money you don't even have.

Dentists are 'takers' and give only pain, misery and lies in return.

When was the last time you came across one who's known for being a 'Dr Fred Hollows of the dental world'? Yeah, I didn't think so....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.