I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 103)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida

75 months ago

Hi everyone! I've been an assistant for 1 year and i'm cda/rda and i have an x-ray license and i've been on 10 interviews and tommorow makes the 11th and i just can't get a job and i really believe it is because of my skin tone. When i fax my resume it's yea when I go in an office its no before i can open my mouth, and i can tell by the expression on their face. I can come in smile, be professional and nothing. Can anybody give me advice? Maybe it's me, but I've never had a problem getting a job in my life, and for the last 2 months it's has been very depressing and I'm thinking about giving up the field if I cannot find anything. Please help me to be able to understand!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline in Silver Spring, Maryland

75 months ago

me too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mari in White Plains, New York

74 months ago

hello i have that problem too, sometimes you may be over qualified for the job. They don't want to pay.. i bet you never though about that. if you have a license, don't put it in your resume. Have at hand if they ask for it at your next interview. That is the trick. Why would you say your skin color?

Mari

NY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California

74 months ago

Skin tone has nothing to do with getting hired, most new-dentist are foreigners.
The last DDS I worked for was a A-Am woman.
When going to a interview ( for women ) make sure you don't have more than one pair of earrings on, no visible tattoos
no cleavage should ever show, your teeth should be recently flossed & your tongue brushed.

Again never should any DA work for less than $18.00 an hour, Any RDA less than $20.00
Any where in Northern CA. an DDS will charge min., $900.00 for a crown-prep.
In Novato CA. my RDA friend makes $37.50 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

Maybe it is not for you but it is a problem for me in Florida. These people are racist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

New DH in Nashville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi everyone! I've been an assistant for 1 year and i'm cda/rda and i have an x-ray license and i've been on 10 interviews and tommorow makes the 11th and i just can't get a job and i really believe it is because of my skin tone. When i fax my resume it's yea when I go in an office its no before i can open my mouth, and i can tell by the expression on their face. I can come in smile, be professional and nothing. Can anybody give me advice? Maybe it's me, but I've never had a problem getting a job in my life, and for the last 2 months it's has been very depressing and I'm thinking about giving up the field if I cannot find anything. Please help me to be able to understand!!!!!!!!!

I agree that there is racism in the dental field. Everytime I see a black dentist, they have an all black staff and the white dentist has an all white staff. I also cannot find a job anywhere in Tennessee and I know my name gives it away because I have a black name. It is sad that my resume is getting overlooked because of my name and race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

THE dental assistant in Willingboro, New Jersey

73 months ago

That really is a same how things are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joan in Copiague, New York

72 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: Skin tone has nothing to do with getting hired, most new-dentist are foreigners.
When going to a interview ( for women ) make sure you don't have more than one pair of earrings on, no visible tattoos
no cleavage should ever show, your teeth should be recently flossed & your tongue brushed.

Again never should any DA work for less than $18.00 an hour, Any RDA less than $20.00

I so agree with you. my boss hired me at 10.00 an hour and then when I realized I was so under paid I received 14 now I want 18-20 because they are taking complete advantage of me. I am very digusted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bigshot in Copiague, New York

72 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: Skin tone has nothing to do with getting hired, most new-dentist are foreigners.

I so agree we are being taken advantage of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vonshelia in Little Rock, Arkansas in Royal, Arkansas

72 months ago

I also think its a race issue with being a dental assistant. i'm also a RDA and have been for 3yrs. My first interview ever was just back in june of this year. So yes i do believe it's real hard trying to find a job in this particular field. I ended up going back to school and graduated back in may with my Associates of Arts Degree. I'm now trying for a differ field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mylifex2 in Roseville, California

70 months ago

Toni in Sacramento- I just today was looking in the dental assistant program at Western Career College. I am new to this area and feel that there are lots of opportunities in this field. How long have you been a RDA? Where did you do your program? Thanks for the information Miki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

mylifex2 in Roseville, California said: Toni in Sacramento- I just today was looking in the dental assistant program at Western Career College. I am new to this area and feel that there are lots of opportunities in this field. How long have you been a RDA? Where did you do your program? Thanks for the information Miki

Did you end up going to school in the Sacramento area? If so, can I ask where? I'm looking for recommendations on DA schools in the area. Thanks!

65 months ago

Tracy - I am currently enrolled at Western Career College and should be completed with my schooling in September. I am enjoying the school and feel that I will be ready for a career in the dental field when I am completed. I will be taking my RDA exam in November and hope to find employment right out of school. If you want more information please email me personally at mylifex2@comcast.net and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Michelle Temple

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Tracy - forgot to say that the Western Career College I am attending is in Citrus Heights, CA (east of Sacramento). They also recently have added a new course for Pit and Fissure Sealants for their program. Hope this helps. Michelle

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

65 months ago

You know there is also ROP dental assistant programs through out California and they are really cheap. Just search ROP dental assistant on in any search engine and you can find a whole list of programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annette in Melbourne, Florida

65 months ago

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi everyone! I've been an assistant for 1 year and i'm cda/rda and i have an x-ray license and i've been on 10 interviews and tommorow makes the 11th and i just can't get a job and i really believe it is because of my skin tone. When i fax my resume it's yea when I go in an office its no before i can open my mouth, and i can tell by the expression on their face. I can come in smile, be professional and nothing. Can anybody give me advice? Maybe it's me, but I've never had a problem getting a job in my life, and for the last 2 months it's has been very depressing and I'm thinking about giving up the field if I cannot find anything. Please help me to be able to understand!!!!!!!!!

Tasha,
Don't get discouraged-- the economy is very bad here in florida. I have been looking for a long time and my friends are experiencing the same situation.The only jobs available right now are for dentists that do not want to pay and will take some one off the street rather than pay you what you are worth. Hang in there, it will get better but it may take some time.----Annette

lovelylady in Union City, Tennessee

62 months ago

Well, if race is an issue when it comes to being in the dental feild, it is because people haven't changed their mentality. If a white dentist is not willing to hire you, it is because they may feel that their customers will feel uncomfortable with a black person touching them. Obviously it will effect their money if people feel they may have a chance of getting the "Black RDA" to work on them during their visit and they will quit coming and switch dentist. Sad reality.

lovelylady in Union City, Tennessee

62 months ago

Oops. I meant patients not customers. lol

angela in Winter Park, Florida

58 months ago

Hi Tasha,I Have hade the same exsperience as you the white Dentist and their staff just will not hire,a black assistant! I am about to give this up as you ,I am now promoting too the younger, black adults to challenge a dental career, so that we can have more black Dentist,I THINK IT'S so unfair,and really does hearts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hi Tasha,I Have hade the same exsperience as you the white Dentist and their staff just will not hire,a black assistant! I am about to give this up as you ,I am now promoting too the younger, black adults to challenge a dental career, so that we can have more black Dentist,I THINK IT'S so unfair,and really does hearts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hi Tasha,I Have hade the same exsperience as you the white Dentist and their staff just will not hire,a black assistant! I am about to give this up as you ,I am now promoting too the younger, black adults to challenge a dental career, so that we can have more black Dentist,I THINK IT'S so unfair,and really does hurts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sambrantley in Cleveland, Ohio

58 months ago

I, myself is a black assistant. I have been lucky to get my job via an inter/externship I asked to do at his office 10 years ago. I do not know if this will help, but offer a working interview so they can see how you work and mesh with their office. I know it is hard , but PLEASE do not give up, as African-American's we do have something to prove. Best wishes!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

annette1 in East Cleveland, Ohio

58 months ago

HELP!!! I recently went on an interview for a part time job and was offered a full time position. The problem is i have been with my employer for 8 years, 3 work days, no benifits, i just started making 14 an hour, took 3 years to get a $4 raise, i am certified as a cda, x-ray liscence, coronal polish certificate, and i love my patients and working there. I do need extra money, I have children so i realy do need the bennifits. but again, i love where i am so what should i do!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beam me up in Norfolk, Virginia

58 months ago

Hi Annette

Lucky You!!!!!!

It can be tricky right now on how far to push an employer with salary/benefits especially in today's economy. However, you are in a great spot for negotiations. Talk to several people who know your situation better and get their take on it. Contact your state employment commission lot of times they have resources on business/employment advice etc. Hope this helps!

Ms vonne in West Haven, Connecticut

58 months ago

Well i am currently in school for dental assistants and I worry will the color of my skin will effect the chance of getting a job I have or ready went to school for medical assistant and it did not work for me so becoming a RDA has to work for me and I believe it will if GOD is for you who can be against you :)

carmenlee in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

58 months ago

New DH in Nashville, Tennessee said: I agree that there is racism in the dental field. Everytime I see a black dentist, they have an all black staff and the white dentist has an all white staff. I also cannot find a job anywhere in Tennessee and I know my name gives it away because I have a black name. It is sad that my resume is getting overlooked because of my name and race.

I to feel that way too. i live in tn and i have been a dental assistant for 6 years. i have been on interview after interview and no luck. i moved here from va. i also feel that it is racism in the dental field. i wonder why they call us in for an interview but don't hire us. i am a conservative african american, and i am very good at my job. they don't even give u a chance to do at least do a working interiew so that u can show them "what you got". anyway, i just keep on looking, because i know everytime they send me out the door, i know they could have had hired a good dental assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California

58 months ago

People, pleeease don't let racism be a stumbling block for you. Rise above it. I HAVE worked in a practice where the dentist was a white male, and a very highly-valued assistant was BLACK. (New Jersey.) His hygienist was hispanic, and I (another dental asst) am asian.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but here are my suggestions at interview time (some are repeated from others, but they obviously bear repeating):
- be CLEAN - hair, deodorant, mouthwash, spotless clothes, come in scrubs so you look ready to work even on an interview.
- no cleavage, no high heels, no tattoos, one set of earrings; no BLING, no perfume, no fancy nail polish, no extreme make-up.
- BE POSITIVE - no complaints about former jobs/bosses/co-workers.
Say what makes you a great employee (be punctual, polite to co-workers and patients, be willing to learn; if you can't be a teamworker you're inthe wrong field, don't be a WHINER. Don't make demands. Say what you CAN do, not what you can't do.
- for minorities of ALL COLORS: if you're not well-spoken, that's a handicap. If you have a heavy ethnic accent (black, chinese, or whatever), it's going to be difficult for others to understand you, so try to sound like your doctor's clientele. If the clientele is white, you'd better try to sound like they do.

Lastly, go above and beyond what most applicants do. Here's what I do, and it always leaves a GREAT IMPRESSION: I offer to work for one week FREE as a "working interview". It gives you the chance to see if you like them, and vice versa. It's a win-win offer for everyone. If you're not working-- you have absolutely nothing to lose!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sambrantley in Cleveland, Ohio

58 months ago

You are absolutely rigth!! I love your positivety and spirit!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

58 months ago

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California said: Lastly, go above and beyond what most applicants do. Here's what I do, and it always leaves a GREAT IMPRESSION: I offer to work for one week FREE as a "working interview". It gives you the chance to see if you like them, and vice versa. It's a win-win offer for everyone. If you're not working-- you have absolutely nothing to lose!

If you are professional, experienced as described above why you want to work for free?? Sounds like you don't have enough experience or you are desperate. Another question. How much do they ussually offer to pay you after you worked for free?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

58 months ago

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California said: Lastly, go above and beyond what most applicants do. Here's what I do, and it always leaves a GREAT IMPRESSION: I offer to work for one week FREE as a "working interview". It gives you the chance to see if you like them, and vice versa. It's a win-win offer for everyone. If you're not working-- you have absolutely nothing to lose!

Go above and beyond what most applicants do. You can offer a dentist to pay him/her for your amazing working experience in his/her office. It would leave even greater impression. Ha-ha...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

New to this in Frisco, Texas

58 months ago

I'm new to Texas and one of my co-workers told me his wife is a DA. She got her DA in Michigan where she didn't have a problem with getting a job. When they moved to Texas she sent out her resume and the calls where coming in strong until she walked in a black women. Its sad, if your not black you will never understand what we have to go thru after all these years. And I feel we don't have anything to prove other than your Cerft or Degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I'm extremely saddened by the last 3 postings. I'm offering positive advice and I'm getting negative feedback. The last 3 responses have 1 thing in common: the writers are not willing to go above and beyond to get their foot in the door. When the economy is THIS bad, yes, you do need to do something special that makes the employer see you are willing to go the extra mile. Certificates, Degrees and experience are not enough in this economy when there are many applicants to choose from. What makes the difference is Attitude, and I'm sorry to say, the kind of attitude I'm talking about is lacking in those last 3 responses.

FYI, the last time I did a week-long working interview, the dentist offered to pay me $10/hr, which I thought was generous, considering he still had his normal DA by my side the entire time to train me. So his cost was $10 MORE per hour even though I offered to work for free. I ended up not taking that job, because I didn't care for the way his practice worked and found a better job. That was in Ohio. I started in Dental Assisting with no DA schooling. A dentist took me in with only my X-Ray certification and my Attitude. After one year of working with him, he said I was the best DA he ever had, and he wrote me a glowing letter of certification. Keep that in mind every single working day. Your end goal is to end that job with an employer who is willing to give you a good recommendation. If you can't get that, you won't be able to land another job very easily, because there are lots of people out there who check references. For those of you curious about the $$-- I got my first DA job 3 years ago at $12/hr in NJ. After 1 yr, I got a raise to $14 and moved to Ohio. In Ohio, with only an X-Ray certificate and 1 year experience, I got a job at $16/hr. I'm now in CA and hoping to find a job, but I know it's tough with lots of people who have more experience/credentials, so I'm studying for the CA RDA EXAM

Best of luck to you all

angela in Apopka, Florida

58 months ago

I AGREE, BUT YOU KNOW I WOULDN'T TRADE NOT BEING BLACK FOR NOTHING IN THIS WORLD!ONE DAY THEY WILL GET WHAT THEY HAVE PUT OUT TOWARDS US, I KNOW I KNOW WHO WILL FIX IT!,BLESS! MY NAME IS ANGELA WEATHERSPOON,FROM AVON,PARK,FL.{HIGHLANDS COUNTY} AND THIS TOWN IS SO RACIST I SPEND TIME TALKING TO OUR YOUTH, AND TRYING TOO ENCOURAGE THEM TO BECOME,DENTIST AS WELL, SO THAT WE CAN PUT A STOP 2 SOME OF THIS, GIVE OUR BUISNESS 2 BLACK DR'S. THAT WILL TAKE OUR GREEN, MONEY AND KEEP IT,AND ALSO OUR REUMES AND EMPLOY US!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SOMEBODY in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

Who wears scrubs to an interview. That's stupid. Most healthcare professions require people to dress professionally when going on an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Better to wear scrubs than to dress inappropriately (e.g. cleavage, clothes too tight, too short, too showy, too casual)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

a little update on my status...
I landed a job w/an endodontist almost 2 wks ago. I've never gone to Dental Assisting school, but had 2 years of work experience in 2 different general dentistry offices, where I got on the job training. I studied for the CA RDA exam while I was unemployed and just passed my last CA RDA exam and should get the certificate any day now.

I wore scrubs to the interview. I had a glowing letter of recommendation from a previous dentist I worked for. When the dr asked how much I wanted, I told him how much I made at my last job, and that I'd work for a week for him and let him decide how much to pay me. He said he would start me at my last pay rate ($16/hr), plus he pays time-and-a-half for any hours over 8hrs/day, plus he buys his staff lunch every day. He asks that we just grab food when there is a lull, but prefers we do not take a lunch hour... but of course, we are paid the whole time, which is fine with me! I'd rather work and get paid than sit for an hour eating and reading magazines and not get paid. He says he'll give me a raise in 2 weeks when he sees what I'm capable of. The staff are very supportive and encouraging to me. It's a great office!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

57 months ago

obaker in Grandview, Missouri said: Hello everyone!

I am currently a student for a DA program and am a little anxious and excited to what my future holds for me based on these comments.Some of you all are discussing race as an issue in the Dental World and I must say that I am a well spoken young, attractive African American female and I don't think I will have any problem in the Dental Field, however I do wonder, if you are so concerned about being unable to find a job, why don't you become a Dental Hygienist and open up your own Subgingival Scailing and Cleaning Practice?

You need a reality check. I am an African American hyg. I have been treated badly due to race by pts, co-workers and employers. I have been sexually harassed. I did some modelling so I guess I can say I am attractive. Switch to hyg and you will see the real deal. I can school you on alot. Don't think it can't happen to you because it will. FYI I lived in NY and VA. Some DAs won't even assist you because of your skin color. Just remember, when your the maid people don't mind you cleaning their toilets but when your the owner people may not even rent a room.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Overjoyed!!! in Suffolk, Virginia

57 months ago

I live in Virginia and unfortunatly it is the same story here. I am switching careers also. What should probably happen is that African American assistants should probably file a complaint with the employment commission.A?A dentist are more likley to hire a non-(A/A) assistant than an Anglo. Also someone should research the admission of african american students into dental assistant programs and then how often they are hired. I belive that these schools cater to minorities (A/A), however the return rate of hire is not equivalant. There are many avenues that dentistry in the African American community must take. I do understand the marketing culture of hireing dental assistants. Even more I understand your frustration. I suggest you enter nursing, not hygiene, not assisting. If you are going to fight this you must market yourself in your market, and most important spend your money in that market. If you are saying that the only assisting job that you can get is in a black office (which i have experienced), then you make sure you return to a office of the same to spend that money (the money you spent eleven interviews to get).
Besides nursing will always be around. Don't let it turn you bitter. This is another type of lynching, and your neck is strong to be broken. You all sound so nice. Good luck on your endevours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

obaker in Grandview, Missouri

57 months ago

Overjoyed!!! in Suffolk, Virginia said: I live in Virginia and unfortunatly it is the same story here. I am switching careers also. What should probably happen is that African American assistants should probably file a complaint with the employment commission.A?A dentist are more likley to hire a non-(A/A) assistant than an Anglo. Also someone should research the admission of african american students into dental assistant programs and then how often they are hired. I belive that these schools cater to minorities (A/A), however the return rate of hire is not equivalant. There are many avenues that dentistry in the African American community must take. I do understand the marketing culture of hireing dental assistants. Even more I understand your frustration. I suggest you enter nursing, not hygiene, not assisting. If you are going to fight this you must market yourself in your market, and most important spend your money in that market. If you are saying that the only assisting job that you can get is in a black office (which i have experienced), then you make sure you return to a office of the same to spend that money (the money you spent eleven interviews to get).
Besides nursing will always be around. Don't let it turn you bitter. This is another type of lynching, and your neck is strong to be broken. You all sound so nice. Good luck on your endevours.

I am currently in the Kansas City, MO area and these comments are starting to scare me because I was completely unaware of theses circumstances when they were selling me on the school that I am currently attending. Also, I am very close to graduation (March) so it is too late for me to turn back now and I will have a lot of student loans to pay back. I guess my question is, are the circumstances the same in Kansas City, MO and if so does this mean I will be unable to find a job because of the color of my skin?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Columbus, Ohio

56 months ago

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California said: I'm extremely saddened by the last 3 postings. I'm offering positive advice and I'm getting negative feedback. The last 3 responses have 1 thing in common: the writers are not willing to go above and beyond to get their foot in the door. When the economy is THIS bad, yes, you do need to do something special that makes the employer see you are willing to go the extra mile. Certificates, Degrees and experience are not enough in this economy when there are many applicants to choose from. What makes the difference is Attitude, and I'm sorry to say, the kind of attitude I'm talking about is lacking in those last 3 responses.

FYI, the last time I did a week-long working interview, the dentist offered to pay me $10/hr, which I thought was generous, considering he still had his normal DA by my side the entire time to train me. So his cost was $10 MORE per hour even though I offered to work for free. I ended up not taking that job, because I didn't care for the way his practice worked and found a better job. That was in Ohio. I started in Dental Assisting with no DA schooling. A dentist took me in with only my X-Ray certification and my Attitude. After one year of working with him, he said I was the best DA he ever had, and he wrote me a glowing letter of certification. Keep that in mind every single working day. Your end goal is to end that job with an employer who is willing to give you a good recommendation. If you can't get that, you won't be able to land another job very easily, because there are lots of people out there who check references. For those of you curious about the $$-- I got my first DA job 3 years ago at $12/hr in NJ. After 1 yr, I got a raise to $14 and moved to Ohio. In Ohio, with only an X-Ray certificate and 1 year experience, I got a job at $16/hr. I'm now in CA and hoping to find a job, but I know it's tough with lots of people who have more experience.

Excellent post! Excellent attitude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Peoria, Arizona

56 months ago

I live in Arizona and I am Black and I am shocked at what I am reading. I moved here five years ago and immediately sought out a dental office for me and my children. On the first appointment the BLACK dental assistant greeted us and I was pleasantly surprised. To be honest, I was still holding Az to it's stereotypical history of the MLK Day fiasco. Nonetheless, I was impressed with progress. Then, as my youngest turned 3 I had to find a pediatric dental to see him, and again, I was even more floored when there was another, OLDER BLACK dental assistant at that practice. Then about a year ago, a BLACK dentist opened up a practice around the corner from my home and now I am going to dental assistant school. I believe that people will hire you. If they are hiring black dental assistants in Arizona, they will hire them anywhere. Be blessed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

56 months ago

In the 90's our office at the time interviewed a black hygienist. She was not hired and the doc said it was because " Our Town " ( will not mention the real city) was not ready for a black hygienist. Over 80% of our patients were white . I'd say and he felt the patients would be uncomfortable with that . Working in somebody's mouth is a ( for lack of a better word ) bit intimate.

I have always worked with white dds's and white staff. Currently for the last year the dds is asian. He has hired an all white staff. Though, the pt's are more diverse now.

Doctors will only hired who they think their pt's and existing staff will get along with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Peoria, Arizona

56 months ago

Wow, this is interesting. If this is the case, I see no reason for anyone to give up or abandon a profession that as an American Citizens you have every right of which to participate. Unless most of the Dentist are PRIVATE PAY/PPO only, I would say that a definite governmental inquiry could be warranted, meaning if any of the doctors who are not hiring blacks and are seeing patients who are government aided, medicare or state health insurance, etc., then there could be some serious violations. Also, I went to the American Dental Association site and found some stats that say only 0.9 percent of dental assistants are black and 97 percent are white, that says something in itself. Thanks to technology, I see no reason why qualified and educated African Americans can't kept in contact and exchange information on places that are not hiring them. This information possiblity establish a pattern or paper trail of discrimination that could later go the the EEOC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

56 months ago

There is only so much you can do to prove these things. It is not ill-will on part of the docs, they are thinking of the patients. If patients don't like who's hands are in their mouth -they will leave, plain and simple. It's just business.
Also docs are particular on hiring staff. So to make sure the personalities blend well. As we know dental offices can be filled with drama, and also
infidelity is high among dds's and their staff. (sadly!) and that's a WHOLE OTHER thread!!!!

in tears as a da, OH in Crestline, Ohio

56 months ago

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California said: I'm extremely saddened by the last 3 postings. I'm offering positive advice and I'm getting negative feedback. The last 3 responses have 1 thing in common: the writers are not willing to go above and beyond to get their foot in the door. When the economy is THIS bad, yes, you do need to do something special that makes the employer see you are willing to go the extra mile. Certificates, Degrees and experience are not enough in this economy when there are many applicants to choose from. What makes the difference is Attitude, and I'm sorry to say, the kind of attitude I'm talking about is lacking in those last 3 responses.

FYI, the last time I did a week-long working interview, the dentist offered to pay me $10/hr, which I thought was generous, considering he still had his normal DA by my side the entire time to train me. So his cost was $10 MORE per hour even though I offered to work for free. I ended up not taking that job, because I didn't care for the way his practice worked and found a better job. That was in Ohio. I started in Dental Assisting with no DA schooling. A dentist took me in with only my X-Ray certification and my Attitude. After one year of working with him, he said I was the best DA he ever had, and he wrote me a glowing letter of certification. Keep that in mind every single working day. Your end goal is to end that job with an employer who is willing to give you a good recommendation. If you can't get that, you won't be able to land another job very easily, because there are lots of people out there who check references.
wow! I went to da school and graduated in july..got hired on my externship at only 10 an hr...we dont get paid for our overtime..a 1 dlla raise after 90 days and the doctors dont respect the assistants time even though if we work an exxtra 30 mins after our wrk schedule we dont get paid a red cent for it...im tired of it already and wish i had gone to hygiene school instead.

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: There is only so much you can do to prove these things. It is not ill-will on part of the docs, they are thinking of the patients. If patients don't like who's hands are in their mouth -they will leave, plain and simple. It's just business.
Also docs are particular on hiring staff. So to make sure the personalities blend well. As we know dental offices can be filled with drama, and also
infidelity is high among dds's and their staff. (sadly!) and that's a WHOLE OTHER thread!!!!

Not all doctors hire to make sure staff all blends, I work with one that thinks she's a prima donna! I've worked with many doctors and never had an issue with them. This is the first time I've worked with a doctor who is petty, childish and down right a bully. According to other staff members they haven't been able to keep an assistant for too long because of the dentist behavior. Office has only one assistant. Assistant is sometimes responsible for three patients at one time and all the sterilization. I have had three pts at one time, one for zoom, other for filling and third for xrays and recememtation. I believe you can only do the best you can with what you're given to work with. I too am waiting to find another office that will appreciate the experience and dedication I have to my profession by just respecting me as a person and treating me as they would like to be treated

RDH in need in Ridgeland, Mississippi

55 months ago

I agree. Racism is very prominent in the south. I am a dental hygienist in MS. NOTHING HAS CHANGED! They might as well resort back to Jim Crow Laws. No Blacks Allowed, Whites Only, Blacks Not Welcome! I honestly feel like dental hygiene was a waste of time for minorities. Noone will give you the time of day if you are not white. Sad but true. The field that always has a shortage is nursing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bored in District Heights, Maryland

55 months ago

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but it's not just "minorities" that experience racisim, yanno.. I'm Caucasian and couldn't get a job in Pitney Bowes and some other support service companies in this area. Obviously, being qualified is not a factor or I wouldn't be posting here.

The reason why we're having race issues still is because there is racism in all races. Unfortunate, futile, and counter-productive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

55 months ago

RDH in need in Ridgeland, Mississippi said: I agree. Racism is very prominent in the south. I am a dental hygienist in MS. NOTHING HAS CHANGED! They might as well resort back to Jim Crow Laws. No Blacks Allowed, Whites Only, Blacks Not Welcome! I honestly feel like dental hygiene was a waste of time for minorities. Noone will give you the time of day if you are not white. Sad but true. The field that always has a shortage is nursing!

This goes on in Va, Tx, and Upstate NY ( I have stories to back this up). I guess we all should move to Atl. I guess they'll hire us since they do have some black DDS. That's why I'm going back to school to do something else.

berryluv in Charleston, South Carolina

55 months ago

I know exactly what your going through. I live in Charleston, SC and I go through the same thing. You look good on paper until you step in to the office and everybody gives you this look, like, what are you doing here, then try to cover it over with a fake plastered on smile. It's not you, it's the people who interview you. You have to remember that they called you in because of what they saw on your resume. My advice to you would be to try to see if there are any black dentists where you live and apply there. That's a start. Try not to feel to discouraged. I know its easier said then done.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.