You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

drSam in Ocala, Florida

95 months ago

Hummm..no answers..I thought people here will be much helpful...Thanks though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

95 months ago

drSam in Ocala, Florida said: Hummm..no answers..I thought people here will be much helpful...Thanks though

It depends on where you are looking and what sort of office. You may want to try and find work in a dental clinic, either with a dental school (they have great benefits!) or with a corporate structured practice. I helped a doctor from India find a position at Baylor College of Dentistry and he is actually attending school there when he is not working.
Generally, what I have found is that most private practice doctors want females who tend to be more care-givers. I hope this helps and good luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

drSam in Ocala, Florida

95 months ago

Hello Kayce
Thanks for your reply , I liked the College of Dentistry option to draw my attention to ..i will start looking in the college here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

95 months ago

Great! Good luck and I wish you the best!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Mckinney, Texas

94 months ago

drSam in Ocala, Florida said: Hello
I have couple of questions

First is it very hard for a male dental assistant to find a job (I have a good experience in the dental field )?

the 2nd I have an accent Do you think this would act as a hinder in finding a job ?

THANK YOU

no, I think that you are doing what you feel is what you want to do, but I'm not one for knowing why a male should not be able to get a job in this field, dentist are male and female so why not dental assistants be male and female.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rainy in alaska in Soldotna, Alaska

94 months ago

hiya kim,
suggestion for male dental assistants is to find a former military dentist, preferably around a military base or post. here, in alaska, any dental assistant with experience is likely for find work quickly, male or female. where i live in rural alaska finding an experienced dental assistant is near impossible. suggestion if you want even more experience and an adventure try some of the indian health service dental clinics. in alaska, the hospitals in the larger villages are always needing dental assistants, those larger villages being dilliham, kotzebue, bethel. but you need to be willing to travel to smaller villages with a dental team. i did it for a few years. the benefits are good and the adventure is great, but most of all you are sorely needed.
anyway, that's my two cents worth.
blessings to you!!

dr. martinez in San Antonio, Texas

94 months ago

Kayce in Dallas, Texas said: It
kayce, any chance anyone could help obtain a job at the baylor dental school, IM a mexican dentist, us citizen. joserenemartinez@yahoo.com

Kayce in Fort Worth, Texas

94 months ago

Do you have your registration from the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners yet? If so I can possibly inquire to see about a position for you. If you don't you will need to get that. Go on our website of www.dentalteambuilding.com and sign up for a course and exam there or wait until January to sign up at our next Baylor class January 11... www.baylorce.com. You can send any further correspondence to kchcda@hotmail.com

Good luck to you and let me know if and when I can be of further assistance!

Juan Osorio in Frisco, Texas

91 months ago

My e Mail its jcoso2005@hotmail.com

i'm looking another job in dental assi (prefer orthodontics), now i'm work in orthodontics clinic

how much its the pay per hour? where its the locations?

i live in mckinney, tx, near frisco, plano

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

91 months ago

you might have better luck finding a job at an oral surgeon's office, if you don't mind that. Plus, it won't really matter if you have an accent bec. most of your patients will be under sedation.

Peter in Ann Arbor, Michigan

90 months ago

I'm studing to be a Dental Assitant, and I am a male . I don't think it's harder to find a job, however if you join the us armed forces, you have better chances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Kissimmee, Florida

90 months ago

Male assistants can FAR exceed the expectations of a female assistant. With over 25 years in the field I have worked with some awesome dudes! Seems, no matter what, males can earn more$$. I have worked with some timid and shy types ( they don't last long) but then on the opposite side be calm, cool and collect and learn with a doctor ALL you can and be his or her right hand and you will go far! Reach for the stars, be a sponge (to learn!) You've got support!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beetlejuice Quivers in Roosevelt, New York

90 months ago

First is it very hard for a male dental assistant to find a job (I have a good experience in the dental field )?

the 2nd I have an accent Do you think this would act as a hinder in finding a job ?

THANK YOU

If you talk dirty to me while you're cleaning my teeth, you will have a patient for life

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stevie in Kyle, Texas

84 months ago

THANK YOU

I asked my Dental Assisting instructor this question and she said no. She said that male students are usually hired before they graduate or as quickly as a woman assistant. I am a 38 year old male who is currently in the Dental Assisting program at Austin Community College. My instructor (who's a woman) has informed me that male Dental Assistants are actually in demand. This is because we provide balance within a work place dominated by women assistants and hygienists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Kissimmee, Florida

84 months ago

Listen to your instructor! Yes, male assistants ARE in demand! I have worked with some very talented male assistants over the years. Wishing you the very best............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rachael in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

In my opinion, finding a job as a MALE dental assistant may be very hard. I've talked to alot of my girlfriends already in the field and they've heard dentists say that they like certain types of people. For example, some like big boobs, and pretty faces, skinny bodies, and etc. So the doctors may just be looking in on finding sexy people in their field. Not all of them, but i've heard that they are picky with looks. I could be wrong, im sorry but thats what i've been told. Although, there could some dentists who would prefer a male. It just depends on the location of where you live, and how may years of experience that doctor may have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

luckner in Pompano Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Beetlejuice Quivers in Roosevelt, New York said: If you talk dirty to me while you're cleaning my teeth, you will have a patient for life

i am a male dental assistant i cant fine a job it hard and very difficult so i hope they change the way the are

Chris in Edmonds, Washington

75 months ago

I studied dental assistant for 3 weeks with the vocational school run by the dentist in the local area. I thougth it was cool to become a dental assistant and the pay is good when you got a lot of experience over the years. But in my case after I completed the training program I found out that is not easy to find a job as a male dental assistant. I've been showed up to several dental clinic for they call it " on the job interview " what a night mare.lol! No body seem willing to train me or show me where are the tools, etc. It seem like most of the dental assistant in the office are less friendly for a new graduate like me that trying to gain work experience, or maybe because the dental assistant are just busy. I dont know, anyway, I got tired and decided that dental assistant job wasn't for me and I keep working with my current job before I studied dental assistant training job. Somehow it was great experience to be in dental assisting training program. The best part of it I didn't pay the tuition cost because the company that I'm working for almost 3 years had reimbursed my tuition expenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Edmonds, Washington

73 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your story, Well, The cost of my study as a dental isn't much expensive. I only pay 2500.00 for the entire course plus my current job pay me back 75% of it. yeah, I just abandone the idea of becoming a dental assistant plus the fact that I have mild hearing problem I hate wearing aid in the dental clinic. It didn't work for me, eventhougth there are successful male dental assistant here in State of WA. Dont give up yet if this is your passion, you might apply for the military and use your knowledge and expertise.My name is Chris and who are you? Thank you for sharing your predicament and I guess we have desame experience for looking to find a job as dental assistant. Anyway, I' working now as a property manager instead of dental assistant. Goodluck to you!

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

46 months ago

mohd shahanwaaz khan in Jalandhar, India said: I M +2 ARTS PAS .3 YER DENTAL EXPE. nd very intrsted dental assistant job.

How will you communicate to patients ? You need to learn English , Bozo.......

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

46 months ago

How will you communicate to patients? You need to learn English , Bozo.......

Jack in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

Rachael in Indianapolis, Indiana said: In my opinion, finding a job as a MALE dental assistant may be very hard. I've talked to alot of my girlfriends already in the field and they've heard dentists say that they like certain types of people. For example, some like big boobs, and pretty faces, skinny bodies, and etc. So the doctors may just be looking in on finding sexy people in their field. Not all of them, but i've heard that they are picky with looks. I could be wrong, im sorry but thats what i've been told. Although, there could some dentists who would prefer a male. It just depends on the location of where you live, and how may years of experience that doctor may have.

It doesn't matter what field you are in... Looks are everything now-a-days. If your a good looking person, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.