Money front desk

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Dee

87 months ago

I'm an assistant but the dr wants me to move to the front. We use Dentrix. How much does the front office get paid? I want to do it, but pt's don't seem to be so nice when you're asking them for their money. Also, the front desk people act so dramatic about everything.
I want to learn more about Dentrix and I'm thinking about going to a seminar.
Question- Is it hard to learn Dentrix? How should I go about learning to use this program?
thanks,
Dee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Adrian Scott in Columbus, Ohio

86 months ago

If the Doctors want you to move to the front desk do it, it will give you so much more salary negotiating power. Go about learning this like anything else with a willingness to learn. Think about when you learned how to ride a bike when you fell off you got back up and tried again. Dont do it for what you'll make because the front office makes less money than the assistants, do it for what you'll learn. If you want to find out what front office assistants make look in your sunday dispatch, they make about $3-$4 less.

When you learn all you can everyday, you'll make yourself invaluable to any dental team.

Until next time,

Adrian
Creative Dental Consultant/Success Coach

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Clarksville, Tennessee

84 months ago

My office manager asked me to do the same. Although a bit overwhelming at first, once you "get it", it is really easy to use the system. Having knowledge about as many aspects of the entire dental office as possible actually makes each position much easier.However, be prepared to remain very busy. It is a wonderful oppertunity to be presented with, that will open many new doors. My advice is definetly learn front office work.
In general most people to not like having to visit the dental office in the first place. Every patient should know that services come with a price. Every time I check out at a store, I expect to have to pay. A dental office is no different, except that there is no grocery insurance. When collecting payment, smile and project the image (without stating it) that they are getting a great deal. Each patient should feel like the "special patient." When you do this, patients want to return to who they know, and who knows them on what feels like a personal level. They will gladly pay, and return in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

C. Boykin in Mcdonough, Georgia

84 months ago

As a 25 year veteran to the dental field it has become my oppinion that if you want to advance in the field you must learn the front desk. That is where the office managers come from. If you only know the back you cant go any higher, I wish experience got you a D.D.S., but it doesnt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GA2thFairy in Macon, Georgia

76 months ago

Dee said: I'm an assistant but the dr wants me to move to the front. We use Dentrix. How much does the front office get paid? I want to do it, but pt's don't seem to be so nice when you're asking them for their money. Also, the front desk people act so dramatic about everything.
I want to learn more about Dentrix and I'm thinking about going to a seminar.
Question- Is it hard to learn Dentrix? How should I go about learning to use this program?
thanks,
Dee

Hi Dee,

You should embrace the opportunity you've been given! As an assistant you have so many great qualities to bring to the front desk. Just think about it...you already know what it takes to make each procedure flow smoothly & the amount of time required for those procedures; definately a plus for scheduling!

I believe that the more valuable you make yourself to the team and meeting your overall office goals will present many chances for pay increases! Also, being cross-trained in the dental office is very marketable too -- if you ever need to find a different job.

If you are comfortable using Microsoft Office programs, learning Dentrix will be a breeze! If your office is currently using Dentrix, you have an awesome avenue for learning the program at www.dentrix.com/ (You will need your customer ID and office zip code to access the online training.)

Hope this helps!
~Sheila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ljillghee in ashville, Ohio

61 months ago

I NEED HELP! I RECENTLY GOT HIRED IN A DENTAL OFFICE AS THE RECEPTIONIST, NOT ONLY IS THIS MY FIRST JOB WORKING IN AN OFFICE UP FRONT BUT FIRST EVER TO USE DENTRIX!! I HAVE A TON OF QUESTIONS AND NO ONE TO ANSWER THEM! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.
I'M HAVING THE MOST TROUBLE CHECKING PATIENTS OUT. WHAT IS THE STEP BY STEP PROCEDURES OR BUTTONS TO PUSH WHEN CHECKING PATIENT OUT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ga2thfairy in Macon, Georgia

61 months ago

Congratulations on your new job!!
Sounds like you are going to need to do a little homework to get proficient with the Dentrix. You have a "HELP" section available right on your computer at the office. Once you've opened Dentrix, click on HELP. Also, you can always go to www.dentrix.com for additional helps (you will need your customer ID and office zip code to access the online training). One thing to keep in mind, the amount of time you put into learning the software now will make the job much easier in the future.
Good Luck!
~Sheila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ljillghee in ashville, Ohio

61 months ago

Thank you so much!! I'll ask the girl that is training me about the customer id. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Ponder in Lithonia, Georgia

61 months ago

I'm relocating to marietta and I looking for a job I went to everest Institute and graduate with medical administrative assistant in 2008. I can not find a job because I don't have the experience in a doctor office but I do have 4 years exp. in administraive assistant/ receptionist. This is something I really want to do if you know anybody that's hiring please let me know I need a Job ASAP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in Schenectady, New York

38 months ago

Front desk people earn $8.00 to $12.00/hr. There is always drama at the front desk either between the employees and/or the patients/customers. Front desk people are associated with collecting money so the customers are not as always nice to them as they are to the other people in the office. Your expected to work hard and get all the work done, but always be acting, smiling and happy no matter what to the customers. Have fun because it's not easy work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.