RDA vs CDA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio

81 months ago

Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between a Registered Dental Assistant & a Certified Dental Assistant? THX!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

81 months ago

Rachel, I had asked this question in a prior post..i had some one reply.this is what she said.

QUOTE: Kim in Panama City, Florida

"I'm pretty sure the only difference between the two is what state you're in. Like here in Fl. when we go thruogh the program and pass the DANB we are CDA's"

Hope that helps..As far as what she replied..I believe she hit the nail on the head..Location!!

Gabrianna!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Adrienne in Highland, Indiana

81 months ago

Gabbriana said: Rachel, I had asked this question in a prior post..i had some one reply.this is what she said.

QUOTE: Kim in Panama City, Florida

"I'm pretty sure the only difference between the two is what state you're in. Like here in Fl. when we go thruogh the program and pass the DANB we are CDA's"

Hope that helps..As far as what she replied..I believe she hit the nail on the head..Location!!

Gabrianna!!

Assistant have to have over 1000 hands on hours to be a certified assistant as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Fullerton, California

80 months ago

depends on where you live. in california a RDA is lisc. has either gone to school or worked in an office for at least a year and have taken the RDA boards. CDA here is just called a DA, that is a assistant with no lisc.

DA makes around 9-12 in orange county. RDAs make 14-18. it's all about what you are legally allowed to do and not do in an office based on your lisc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carmon in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I am certifided Xray so does that mean I am not a RDA or a CDA? Please help me so I understand. Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carmon in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I am certifided X-ray so does that mean I am not a RDA ? Please help me so I understand. IF I am not a RDA do I have to go back to school to get more traning so when I take the exam I will know what to do? Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Misha Case in Daly City, California

80 months ago

Depending on your state a CDA is just when you have taken classes to learn to be a DA but an RDA means you have passed a state wide exam and are qualified to do more things in a dental office. X-ray certification is needed to be an RDA but is completely seperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee

80 months ago

wedea in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: RDA is the ADAA and certified is the State credited in which you lived.

RDA is your state license title and CDA is national certification from DANB. Get the CDA first, because it means so much when you are applying for jobs. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

80 months ago

In Indiana,,,DANB!!!

Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)

The CDA examination focuses on General Chairside Assisting and is DANB's primary certification. In addition to a General Chairside component (GC), the CDA exam contains separate components covering Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) and Infection Control (ICE) topics. Many states are using the CDA examination or one of its components as part of dental assisting regulatory requirements.

So, I guess you have to pass GC,ICE & RHS Certifications to be
called a CDA..If you have your RHS..I guess you would call it..An x ray certified DA? Correct me if i'm wrong..

I'm sure it varies what state you live in too..Does this sound right?

Gabbriana!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee

80 months ago

I am a dental assistant instructor in Tennessee. Your RDA is state license title (suction etc.) and you then get certified to do x-ray and other expanded functions. Whe I graduated here you were licensed to do it all. DANB is a three part certification as you have stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jan in Marshall, Minnesota

79 months ago

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio said: Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between a Registered Dental Assistant & a Certified Dental Assistant? THX!

Registered is for the STATE you practice in. Certified is the NATIONAL test that offices may or may not require of their assistants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio said: Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between a Registered Dental Assistant & a Certified Dental Assistant? THX!

For every one who has it incorrect CDa means you have passed the national boards, this certification is recognized NATIONWIDE, It trumps anything you may get that is only recognized in your stae. If you just have a license from your stae or you are regtistered in your state, it wont help you if you move to another state. The national certification will be recognized anywhere you go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Belmont, California

76 months ago

I finish my DA training at western career college in san jose and received my rda. I automatically received my x-ray and chorono polishing license.

I got job offers ranging from 15-18/hour. I think DAs only get paid about 10-14/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Fayetteville, North Carolina

76 months ago

First, it's coronal polishing. Second, being a RDA is a great achievement but at the same time most states recognize the certification awarded by DANB. If you are registered in one state, your registration will most likely not be recognized in other states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mtsads.com in Brooklyn, New York

76 months ago

Please no one add additional comments to this section it has been answered several times correctly and then someone would supplement false information.

RDA is state specific while CDA is nationwide.

Choose the latter when deciding which da you wish to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jill123 in Bogota, New Jersey

71 months ago

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I am a dental assistant instructor in Tennessee. Your RDA is state license title (suction etc.) and you then get certified to do x-ray and other expanded functions. Whe I graduated here you were licensed to do it all. DANB is a three part certification as you have stated.

I have my xray license now for about 25 yrs now my new boss wants us to all get certified if we failed the DANB test do we lose our xray license we have now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jill123 in Bogota, New Jersey

71 months ago

thanks rachel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

iris in Upland, California

71 months ago

Carmon in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania said: I am certifided Xray so does that mean I am not a RDA or a CDA? Please help me so I understand. Thanks :)

Just because your xray certified doesn't make you a CDA or RDA...it is part of becoming a DA...once you pass state test for RDA then your RDA and after two years of experience as an RDA then you BEcome a CDA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Trina in Beaumont, California

70 months ago

iris in Upland, California said: Just because your xray certified doesn't make you a CDA or RDA...it is part of becoming a DA...once you pass state test for RDA then your RDA and after two years of experience as an RDA then you BEcome a CDA

Thank you this is very enlightning I was wandering what certification I received and was never clearn until now on DA and CDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: RDA is your state license title and CDA is national certification from DANB. Get the CDA first, because it means so much when you are applying for jobs. Good luck!

That is exacltly how I was told. THanks for the clarification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

Liz in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: For every one who has it incorrect CDa means you have passed the national boards, this certification is recognized NATIONWIDE, It trumps anything you may get that is only recognized in your stae. If you just have a license from your stae or you are regtistered in your state, it wont help you if you move to another state. The national certification will be recognized anywhere you go.

A CDA certfied by the DANB, Dental Assistant NAtional Board, is the best you c an do to be recognized throughout the United States. This was confirmed by the executive Director of the DANB!Hope that helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorri in Lawndale, California

70 months ago

I recieved my CDA in 1980 when I graduated from Dental Assisting school in Washingon. I worked for 20 years in expanded duties. I now moved to Calfornia
I sent information off to get my x-ray license but what do I have to do to be RDA or do I have to do anything because I passed the National test to be CDA
back in 1980?

Anna in Dayton, Ohio

69 months ago

I have been seeing commercial about Dental Asssist course taught be a dentist here in ohio.
thsi course is for about 8 days 80 hrs.course discription is Introduction to Dentistry, Sciences in Dentistry
Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease,Infection Control, Occupational Health & Safety Patient Information and Assessment ,Foundation of Clinical Dentistry, Introduction to Dental Hand Instruments, Dental Handpieces, Assess Moisture Control and Rubber Dam.
Dental Radiology (Part1),Dental Radiography (Part 2)
Practice Taking X-rays, Dental Materials - Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials, Liners, Bases, Bonding Systems, Cements, Impression Materials and Lab Materials
Continuation of Practicing Taking X-rays,Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care (Crown & Bridge Materials)
Anesthesia and Pain Control
Dental Specialties
Review X-ray Techniques,. X-ray Exam (Written & Clinical)
Dental Administration, Communication Skills, and Business Systems
CPR Training and Certification
I don't ahve any background in dental field.please help..............
Will that be possible to take CDA certification with DANB?????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

becca in Raeford, North Carolina

69 months ago

i did the same thing in ga all our teachers told us we could but we would not do well thay told us we should all wait about 6 months after working in an office and get a real feel for things before we try to take it because i did a 8 hour, one day a week, ten week class too, they said there's no way youll know everythuing you need to pass some of comes with hands on work experience

becca in Raeford, North Carolina

69 months ago

i just moved to Fayetteville NC and i need to know where i can go to only get certified in radiography because mine is from GA, does anyone know where i can get one and about how much they cost?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tyla in California

67 months ago

I am a RDA in california for 15 years. I am moving to Oklahoma. I know my RDA wont be recognized but because i have been in the field and have pit and fissue, coronal poloshing, x-ray, cerec traing. Does that mean i am know a CDA and can apply for a job in Ok now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

donslar in Signal Mountain, Tennessee

67 months ago

To be a CDA you will have to pass the three tests from the Dental Assistants National Board (DANB). Check it out at danb.org and also see about reciprocity from the other state for your current license and components.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

riverlassie RDA in Toms River, New Jersey

66 months ago

[Basically a CDA is a step needed in order to become a RDA. Basically it's just a glorified Assistant. Whereas a RDA is able to do just about anything that is reversable, as well as fabricate temps , pack cord, fill a tooth prepared for a restoration( though most Drs rather do it themselves) then dr just does the carving . Etch and add bonding liquid for ortho, remove sutures, place rubber dams, toffelmire bands. And the salary is much greater. I've been a RDA for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Each state has different requirements.You'll need to look into the specific state laws .

66 months ago

[Having an x-ray license does not make you a cda or an rda. It is just one part that is needed to acquire the licenses for either or both. they are separate licenses. Yes there is still schooling ahead for you

Arin Pitera in Ringgold, Georgia

66 months ago

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: RDA is your state license title and CDA is national certification from DANB. Get the CDA first, because it means so much when you are applying for jobs. Good luck!

Hi, I'm graduating from a private Chattanooga college which shows that I have completed radiology and can send in my application for a licence as an RDA. Are there any restrictions regarding when I can take my CDA? As you said, it is much better because you can work in any state since you will be nationally certified. Now I will be limited to working in Chattanooga, TN or GA with my RDA only. I spent $7,000 for the diploma which I wonder is worth much. What do you think?

66 months ago

Don in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I am a dental assistant instructor in Tennessee. Your RDA is state license title (suction etc.) and you then get certified to do x-ray and other expanded functions. Whe I graduated here you were licensed to do it all. DANB is a three part certification as you have stated.

Hi, I am graduating from a private Chattanooga college and was told that part of completing the course, a 300 hr externship was necessary. Now, I have been told to go ahead and apply for my RDA and 150 hrs of externship are acceptable. I can still get my diploma and to start applying for jobs as a RDA. Do private colleges in the same state change the rules when convenient and is it acceptable? tkx...

66 months ago

Arin Pitera in Ringgold, Georgia said: Hi, I'm graduating from a private Chattanooga college which shows that I have completed radiology and can send in my application for a licence as an RDA. Are there any restrictions regarding when I can take my CDA? As you said, it is much better because you can work in any state since you will be nationally certified. Now I will be limited to working in Chattanooga, TN or GA with my RDA only. I spent $7,000 for the diploma which I wonder is worth much. What do you think?

I think $7,000 is very good price for the course, but well worth it. It sounds as if someone is feeding you a lot of negative ideas about your diploma. Usually they are just jealous. Any form of education is worth the price. In the end it all depends on how you present yourself when you are job hunting. I "think" it is a year or two of work before you can apply to DANB for your certification unless your school is ADA accredited. It may be state accredited and then the time limit will exist. Be proud of your accomplishments and do not let others negativity diminish what you have done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

donslar in Signal Mountain, Tennessee said: I think $7,000 is very good price for the course, but well worth it. It sounds as if someone is feeding you a lot of negative ideas about your diploma. Usually they are just jealous. Any form of education is worth the price. In the end it all depends on how you present yourself when you are job hunting. I "think" it is a year or two of work before you can apply to DANB for your certification unless your school is ADA accredited. It may be state accredited and then the time limit will exist. Be proud of your accomplishments and do not let others negativity diminish what you have done.

Tkx for your positive comments and info. I should mention that the cost would have been $14,000 but I transferred half of my credits from another degree. Tkx

66 months ago

Arin Pitera in Ringgold, Georgia said: Hi, I am graduating from a private Chattanooga college and was told that part of completing the course, a 300 hr externship was necessary. Now, I have been told to go ahead and apply for my RDA and 150 hrs of externship are acceptable. I can still get my diploma and to start applying for jobs as a RDA. Do private colleges in the same state change the rules when convenient and is it acceptable? tkx...

Arin:

A 300 hour externship is for ADA accredited schools. If the school is state accredited the hours can be lower. In the state of Tennessee you can apply for your limited RDA without going to school, but as stated will be limited in what you can do. If you go to school and get your diploma and pass radiography you will be a fully licensed dental assistant. That is your goal. It sounds as if your school is doing what it should do. Get your diploma and do not create so much confusion by thinking your education is lacking or less if this or that changes.

66 months ago

That is still much cheaper than most schools are charging.

66 months ago

donslar in Signal Mountain, Tennessee said: Arin:

A 300 hour externship is for ADA accredited schools. If the school is state accredited the hours can be lower. In the state of Tennessee you can apply for your limited RDA without going to school, but as stated will be limited in what you can do. If you go to school and get your diploma and pass radiography you will be a fully licensed dental assistant. That is your goal. It sounds as if your school is doing what it should do. Get your diploma and do not create so much confusion by thinking your education is lacking or less if this or that changes.

tkx forr all the info. Do you know if Chattanooga College is an ADA acretided school? It's just curious to me that I have been trying to complete my 300 hours which is stated in the school catalog and now I can finish half of the hrs and everything is ok. What does that mean for other students who are working for 300 hrs with no pay? tkx again!

66 months ago

donslar in Signal Mountain, Tennessee said: Arin:

Mr. Don, You wouldn't happen to know if the college is ADA acretited would you? Tkx

66 months ago

I am sure you have discussed this with your instructors and have been given all the correct information. Not to sound negative, but why persist in trying to make something bad out of all the good you seem to have accomplished. Remember all those who have helped you and what advice they have given you. Think positively and not negatively.

66 months ago

donslar in Signal Mountain, Tennessee said: I am sure you have discussed this with your instructors and have been given all the correct information. Not to sound negative, but why persist in trying to make something bad out of all the good you seem to have accomplished. Remember all those who have helped you and what advice they have given you. Think positively and not negatively.

Thanks for your positivity and reassurance. I know that my instructors, one in particular,(Mr. Don) has worked very hard and has been very positive in helping me to have the information and preparedness to get a job. I guess I should count my blessings and not look for trouble where I am bound to find it.I guess I question the system and wonder if I should be an advocate to question school standards and compromise myself for speaking out, or just let it go to keep myself in good standing with the school and let every student come to their own conclusions. I think I know the answer. As much as I hate politics and misguiding information, I can only deal with the circumstances which are in my control. I guess I have to stop trying to make everything right, because life will always be misleading in some way or another. Thanks again; I appreciate that you believe in me.

Sandra M. in Portsmouth, Rhode Island

66 months ago

riverlassie RDA in Toms River, New Jersey said: [Basically a CDA is a step needed in order to become a RDA. Basically it's just a glorified Assistant. Whereas a RDA is able to do just about anything that is reversable, as well as fabricate temps , pack cord, fill a tooth prepared for a restoration( though most Drs rather do it themselves) then dr just does the carving . Etch and add bonding liquid for ortho, remove sutures, place rubber dams, toffelmire bands. And the salary is much greater. I've been a RDA for years.

Not true. The title of CDA means that you have passed the National Boards presented by DANB. Then, and only then can you work in any state. Being only an RDA limits your ability to work anywhere you choose in the USA. I don't know where you are obtaining your info from, but call DANB located in Ill., and they will tell you all that you want to know about what a CDA can and cannot do. An RDA just is a title that is given to an assistant in certain states to signify that she is registered with that state. Nothing more.

Lisa, NJ in Succasunna, New Jersey

66 months ago

iris in Upland, California said: Just because your xray certified doesn't make you a CDA or RDA...it is part of becoming a DA...once you pass state test for RDA then your RDA and after two years of experience as an RDA then you BEcome a CDA

This is a little backwards....in NJ... You have to get have to get your xray lic. first. Then take a series of state board exams (ICE, chairside, and radiology) to become a certified dental assistant. In order to become a registered dental assistant u have to take an additional exam after becoming a CDA. The difference is that a RDA is able to do expanded functions such as making temp crowns, temp cementing, placing retraction cord..and so on. RDA's are pd more because you are able to do more han a CDA. I am a RDA now and like it a lot more than just being a CDA, there is a lot more to do hands on with pts and more oppurtunities to grow in the dental field as an RDA. I hope this helps, clears up som misleading info, and answers most of the questions. More than glad to help and good luck to all proceding a career in the dental field!!! :)

Sandra in Tiverton, Rhode Island

66 months ago

In the states of MA and RI, as a CDA., you are able to perform expanded duty functions, without the RDA attached to your name. Theri is not further testing nececcary. If you want further info, please contact DANB of IL and they will explain further what the difference is between the two, CDA/ RDA.
I do believe that many of you have the idea that once you obtain your X-ray certification that you are able to perform and receive the same compensation as a CDA does. The answer is , no way. You must complete the State Board Exam, General, ICE, and Radiology to become a CDA.

Karen in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina

65 months ago

a CDA is certified thru DANB, depending what state you are in you could take courses in expanded functions then test to become a registered dental assistant. With a CDA you are limited as to the assistants functions as deemed by DAMB. As a registered assistant you are able to perform intra oral functions as deemed by that state. Hope this information helps.

Karen in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina

65 months ago

I am a registered dental assistant in new jersey and will be relocating to north carolina in a few months. In the state of new jersey I needed a separate license to take dental x-ray's are there any requirements in north carolina or is my DANB CDA the only requirement?

Patricia Barclay in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

I am currently licenced as an RDA in California and am thinking about relocating to Minnesota. Is there reciprocity between the states? What necessary steps would I need to take? Thank you.

blueyez2665@aol.com

64 months ago

Patricia Barclay in Sacramento, California said: I am currently licenced as an RDA in California and am thinking about relocating to Minnesota. Is there reciprocity between the states? What necessary steps would I need to take? Thank you.

Reciprocity occurs between boarding states. You need to look up dental regulations in Minnesota. Minnesota may not have RDA's, as not all states do, in which case your CDA and experience will suffice. So long as you maintained your CDA after becoming and RDA. Hope this info helps....

SolyNieve in Richmond, Virginia

64 months ago

Does sme one knows the VSDA ( virignia School Dental Assistant) in Richmond va. I was thinking to take classes in this school. But they only give you a Dimploma DA and a X-ray certification. The course is in 10 week 8 hrs for each week and cost 2500 Please if some one can tell if the Diploma is worth it.

Shorty2001 in Lawrenceburg, Indiana

64 months ago

Sandy in in Richmond, Virginia said: That is exacltly how I was told. THanks for the clarification.

I was waiting on going to the Virgina Dental Assistant school for 1 1/2 yrs
and then 1 yr after I moved which was two weeks ago, I got a letter staying there was room for me. I only wanted to go for hands on and clinicals. I was already taking the program threw Penn Foster....What she said is correct, about the difference between a DA and a RDA.....

nvenu0 in Lexington, Kentucky

63 months ago

Don,
I was wonderinf if dental assistants are allowed in fill restorations in TN like KY allows. Thx

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.