Received a job as a surgery assistant at a Maxillofacial Surgeon owned practice and now after a month having problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

JasonDDI in Fresno, California

37 months ago

I should also add, that I passed my state board, and my California Law and Ethics exam, and am set to take the last on on the 1st, so I don't think I'm incompetent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I forgot to mention what was really bothering me, it's because of the fact that everyday I'm given a new talk, or scolded about something, and it could be something as small as the doctor noticed I sprayed disinfectant on the floor while spraying the chair. The head assistant doesn't explain anything to me anymore, instead just does it when I ask how to do something as if I know everything that is how to be run in this practice. I keep a little notepad to mark stuff down that I don't remember, such as patient post-op instructions for surgery, or proper pano machine usage (We never had a pano machine in school and I never knew how to use one until this month). It seems everything I'm doing there's ALWAYS 1 more thing that I'm not doing, or missing, as if I'm always being picked on. I don't know how to go about this, I want to quit, but I don't want to ruin my reputation in the dental field as this doctor has a lot of reputation for good work. I didn't have any of these problems when I externed at a general family practice. Everything was all team-work there, it all flowed, I felt really useful. Now I'm afraid to do anything without asking if I'm doing it right. Perhaps I may be looking at all this wrong, and need an adjustment in view, I'm just looking for experiences and hopefully uplifting comments to bring me back the spirit I had 2 weeks ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

37 months ago

Ok, autoclaving a high speed is not big deal! What do you think we did before the Statim came out? It is an autoclave , only faster. Many offices don't have Statim's so. Not a big deal whatsoever. Look, speed comes with time and familiarity also comes with time. A month on a job is no time at all. No one expects perfection. Think of a dentist one month out of school. They are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I have worked with some.
You main problem is with an employee. An issue we have all come across at some point! I'd say learn from her skill and avoid or ignore the "drama" , but still be kind and helpful. She's jealous, petty, impatient, unreasonable - or all of the above.
Does it matter ? Yes, for 8 hrs a day her problems are your problems! Unfair? You bet. Roll with it and just chalk it up to ignorance. If it comes down to it ask her how FAST she was a couple mos. out of school. Makes me think of all the pathetic women I have worked with over the years. I can laugh now at them. But I have fabulous friends thru dentistry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Thanks for the reply. She actually trained on the job, without going to school about 6 years in a non surgical office. I didn't plan to quit or not go in just because of that, I'm a bit stronger than that when it comes to dealing with bs out there, but I guess my next question is, would it affect my reputation if I was fired by doc because of the head assistant not getting along with me or me quitting this position to go to another office?
I really just want to go to another office honestly, I've seen how these people in this office are. I like the doc, I think she's stressed out, but who wouldn't be when you have a practice, a science, and a business to run at the same time. I don't want to deal with the head assistant really anymore, I'm kind to her, always have been. She has a big stick up her rear all the time and I'm wondering if maybe that's just how she is.. Who knows.

Marina in Redwood City, California

37 months ago

Jason,

How did your working intervew go? Was it all day? What did you do?
I just got my RDA lisence and had my first intervew. They told me they will call me for the working intervew. The manager wasn't that nice and I don't feel like doing "free work" for all day.

37 months ago

My interview was all day, however I did get paid for it. Now though, I'm on my 2nd month, and just got the "Better do better this week, or your canned" talk. So now I'm thinking of resigning and finding another position. However I have some questions about this.

First off, will this affect my reputation with getting a job at another place, and 2ndly, would it be better to just resign rather than be fired?

My skills have greatly improved since the first posting on this, the doctor even said so, I have however made enemies with the head assistant, not on my own accord, but just because of her attitude. So I don't think that will be mending anytime soon, its now every mistake is such a burden and an annoyance to her.

I don't have any other experience in dental assisting, and I just finished up my RDA exams and am awaiting my license. The only other experience on my resume for DA is extern... I don't know what to do here, if I should just go look for another position and resign or what and if it would hurt my reputation.

The doctor did mention to me in one talk about proper surgical techniques that she did not want to fire me because I wouldn't be able to find a job, and today even after talking to me about how I have a week to shape up, she still talked as if she wants to keep me on longer, with things said such as "Just keep working on it" and "You just need to learn to think ahead and continue showing improvement" and also asking me if we can ever get to a point where she doesn't have to talk to me anymore about these minor things. I'm very confused on this, whether I should quit, just play it out or get fired, or if it will look bad towards receiving another job.

Lora in La Jolla, California

37 months ago

Are they going to give you two weeks notice before letting you go? I would start looking for another job anyway. I think that it's better to be fired than quit. The reason is you might be eligible for unemployment. If I were you, I would check the requirements for that. If your dentist asks you to sign any papers when firing you, do not sign anything!
When having an interview you are asked why you want to leave your current office, you don't have to explain everything in details. Just give a standart answer "looking for a better opportunity". You need somebody who can give you references. Don't put your office. Do you have an instructor from college or somebody from your externship office? You can try to work through a temporary agency. It helps you gain experience and avoid a gap on your resume.
Don't take the situation that seriously. Dental assisting is not that type of carreer to be worry about. Good luck!

37 months ago

I have my externship as my reference. I shouldn't put this office for sure though?

Bea in Birmingham, Alabama

37 months ago

that was great advice you gave her....going to work where you are not happy makes a long day........ She should start looking now !

37 months ago

JasonDDI in Fresno, California said: I have my externship as my reference. I shouldn't put this office for sure though?

Jason,
You are doing a great job. Hang on there and keep positive. Thank you for your reply.

37 months ago

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin said: Ok, autoclaving a high speed is not big deal! What do you think we did before the Statim came out? It is an autoclave , only faster. Many offices don't have Statim's so. Not a big deal whatsoever. Look, speed comes with time and familiarity also comes with time. A month on a job is no time at all. No one expects perfection. Think of a dentist one month out of school. They are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I have worked with some.
You main problem is with an employee. An issue we have all come across at some point! I'd say learn from her skill and avoid or ignore the "drama" , but still be kind and helpful. She's jealous, petty, impatient, unreasonable - or all of the above.
Does it matter ? Yes, for 8 hrs a day her problems are your problems! Unfair? You bet. Roll with it and just chalk it up to ignorance. If it comes down to it ask her how FAST she was a couple mos. out of school. Makes me think of all the pathetic women I have worked with over the years. I can laugh now at them. But I have fabulous friends thru dentistry.

What a great advice! You are a really GURU. Bay the way I am planning to relocate back to WI, Milwaukee area. How are DA jobs there? I believe thay don't have RDA

37 months ago

I was actually curious about this as well, as I am from Wisconsin, was thinking of possibly going back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.