Salary for DA and RDA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 237)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

DentNut in Sayreville, New Jersey

67 months ago

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Ultimately, the "Doctor" is responsible and if he is willing to let her do these various jobs then he is not going to tell her to stop..As far as asking for a raise..ask him if he has a time frame in which he gives raises after employment..if he doesn't sit him or the office manager down and discuss it..I wouldn't put out the other assistant...if you are ever going "crazy" with patients you will appreciate her doing the various jobs...you may feel now she is stepping on toes..but you do have to work as a team..how long has she been there is another factor to consider...You can bring it to his attention that she is doing these things that only a licensed dental assistant should be doing...but be careful not to sound like you want her job...speak to her as well as far as how she feels about doing these tasks..maybe she would rather someone else do it.You do not want to get rid of someone because of them doing work..not in todays world...
let me know what happens,
di

Thank you di for your advice. I will wait and see what happens.
I have until about March of 2009 before I will be and RDA.
Take care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DentNut in Sayreville, New Jersey

67 months ago

Teresa said: My advise is to have a chat.PRIVATE with him. Make him aware of what you will be licensed to do. And that the fact the other girl is doing procedures you have worked hard and earned license for with out one does not seem right. Good luck in you endeavors.

Teresa,
Thanks for the advice. I am sure when the time comes he will be willing to talk but not sure what I will get out of it...I only work part time evening hours 3 days a week and 1 saturday a month so I am not sure what he will do. Thanks.
Take care

Keri in Cortland, New York

67 months ago

I have been a CDA for 12yrs, and love my job. I understand this forum is for salary. Does anybody know of other forums that are about the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

67 months ago

What would you like know about the job Dental Assisting.

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey

67 months ago

If you have been a CDA for 12 years what do you need to know about the job...this forum is not specific i believe to salary...it is an open forum to many areas of the dental field..
di

67 months ago

I finally took my entrance exams to two schools in Medical Assisting. So far, I think it is a much better move...the field is not the same old stuff in the dental area..wheather you are an CDA,RDA or COMSA *Certifed Oral Surgery Assistant*..I loved Oral Surgery but my "New" boss quickly turned me off to dealing with another Dr. who just does not want to treat staff well..I will continue on a part time basis with Oral Surgery,but my full time totally dedicated to the field is over after 16 years...It will be refreshing and I am actually really excited about starting something new and not deal with "teeth" all day...Any job is what you make it but when it starts to turn you off wheather it is the work or the "Doctor,staff" it is time to move on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

It's not that I need to know anything specific, I would just like a forum that has less complaining and more insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

67 months ago

Please don't take this the wrong way but DUE to the recent economy crisis it is on all of our minds. We work hard .And sometimes still cleaning after the Dr has left for the day. With sometimes not much compensation. That's my opinion anyway what would you like to know abouth the job?? I enjoy what I do the more challenging the better. Learn what you can. Enjoy your job. It may you a better personand assistant. Pt's like that. Hope I was somewhat helpful. By the way I am CDA,RDA with Radiology

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

67 months ago

I agree 100% .Curious?? where did you go for your Oral Surgery cert. I live in New Jersey. How long did it take.??? I poss am interested.

67 months ago

Teresa, of course I will not take it the wrong way. The reason I stated the salary comment was because this forum is titled "salary for DA and RDA" I noticed it was the most active, and was wondering if anyone that uses it also uses other forums. I have checked this forum in the past, and it had bickering. I just thought it would be nice to have a forum where we could discuss CE credits, If anyone has joined ADAA, or just to get to know people in the same field.

Teresa

67 months ago

Not offense taken . Where did you take your Oral Surgery Cert from?? I am interested. Any info will be helpful

67 months ago

Sorry, but i believe this forum is for people having issues with their job and would like to share their opinions on how to resolve their issues.
It sounds like you need to attend lectures/seminars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

67 months ago

yes This can be a forum formany things.Unfortunately,The way the economy is it has become mostly money.

Teresa

67 months ago

this is for DI in Wycoff,N.J. I asked about where you got your cert in Oral surgery But you never responded. I would appreciate a response.I was serious when I asked. Thanks.

67 months ago

Yes, you are correct...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Teresa said: this is for DI in Wycoff,N.J. I asked about where you got your cert in Oral surgery But you never responded. I would appreciate a response.I was serious when I asked. Thanks.

In 1996 I received my Certification through *DANB* Dental Assisting National Board. Unfortunutely, as far as i know, they no longer provide this Certification. Not enough demand I suppose but things are forever changing so you can check if you are intrested.
Testing was done through UMDNJ.
It definitely gives you a better edge in finding a job.However, right now with the economy they may be less hesitant to hire because they see Certified Oral Surgery Assistant and will obviously feel you will want more $$$. Good Luck if you go in that direction and can only make your resume that much more appealing with all of your previous credentials. : )

Teresa

67 months ago

Thank You. That's allI needed.I appreciate that.

American Dental Center-Muscat in Muscat, Oman

67 months ago

International Position: American Dental Center in Muscat, the beachfront capital of Oman. Opportunity for quality oriented DA in a high quality dental practice with state of the art facility with our clinical team - general dentist, oral surgeon, orthodontist and endodontist. Interact with many nationalities and friendly, hospitable local population. Within driving distance to Dubai. Applicant must be interested in exploring different cultures and eager to travel. Paid health and malpractice insurance. Serious applicants only email CV to info@adcoman.com. Go to www.adcoman.blogspot.com for further information.

druss in Warrenton, Virginia

67 months ago

Wow! This is soooo discouraging :(
I have been a DA for 18 years with experience emphasis in plastic and oral surgeries. I have recently relocated back to Northern Virginia after a 7 year stay in Texas, where I earned my RDA (which in TX just means you passed x-ray, osha, and jursiprudence). When I left Virginia 8 years ago, I was making $20 per hour. Last week I went on several interviews in my new town and was told to expect an hourly wage of closer to $13-14 an hour!!!! Are they kidding? I'm a specialty assistant, for crying out loud, and couldn't even survive on that amount in TX where the cost of living is lower and there is no state tax.
I've also been passed over for jobs because I'm told I am "over-qualified". I figure that to mean the DDS doesn't want to pay for my experience, instead he'd rather pay a lower salary to someone right out of school who may not know that assistants are worth much much more.
I suppose the economy is partly to blame, I've noticed more and more empty DDS parking lots and waiting rooms...sigh. Another reason I think is that DDS's tend to believe most assistants are married and supported by working spouses. In any case, we are the DDS's hands and face to the patients. We can make or break a practice by how we treat the patients. Myself?, I love my patients, they're my peeps and I treat them like family, even and esp the grumpy needy ones. The way I look at it is this; if a DDS truly cares about his/her employees, wants a high quality practice, wants patient referrals, desires to serve his/her community, then the DDS needs to hire high quality assistants who care about their patients. Bottom line is that DDS's need to pay their assistants what they are worth, keep them happy, do what it takes to keep them period.
unemployed and frustrated.

druss in Warrenton, Virginia

67 months ago

Almost forgot,

Someone asked about Oral Surgery Assistant Certification:

Check out AAOMS (American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons)

aaoms.org :)

Teresa

67 months ago

Thank you to druss Warrenton,Virginia

Angel_SC in Cincinnati, Ohio

66 months ago

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me! I'm taking a dental assistant program and an extended duty dental assistant program here in ohio. I plan on taking my rhs and ice exam but of course can not take my gc exam until i have completed 3500 hours of work. I am about to move to south carolina and was curious if anyone knew what someone like me would make as a dental assistant in south carolina? would taking the rhs and ice exam help me to get more money being an entry level da?

Angel_SC in Cincinnati, Ohio

66 months ago

also is there a pay difference in being a dental assistant as compared to a cda/rda and if so is it much?!....how much should i ask for when searching for a job?

Assistant in Florida in Boca Raton, Florida

66 months ago

I am not sure about any of you but I have been in the same practice for many years...its a well established practice but it is slowing down. The doctor made mention of making cuts to everyone in the office, well I got mine and wasnt too happy, but it is what it is..I am still at a good wage, the problem with cuts is your hard pressed to ever regain them back..I am trying to be a team player..but at what point do you sit down and have the conversation that you want your money back, I thought three months any suggestions? Thanks Oh is anyone else going thru this?

Teresa

66 months ago

No I have not gone through that. But The entire nation is in budget crunch mode.You wait but there is no guarentee.I ahve two part time jobs. Supposed to equal to full time pay. Don't give up.. If you are happy. Stick it out. I am not happy with one of mine. They do not know yet so I am looking to change. Good luck. Economy sucks.

MA1 in MAHWAH, New Jersey

66 months ago

Hi,
I have never gone through a salary cut but I did work for someone who was cheap...he tookover the other doctors practice...I worked for the original doctor for 16 plus years he was great with $$$ to include bonuses...well the "new" doc" I found out later, he came in saying we made to much money, wanted to cut the bonus program out completely, and really didn't want to hire anyone new...wanted only me on many cases becasue I had experience...he felt privlaged I guess and didn't want to struggle with someone new to assist..
Well, I can tell u I was outta there fast!
What is your perception of your boss? Does he treat you fairly?
We are in a "depression" and if $$$ aren't walking in the door overhead can be tough to pay...I wouldn't rock the boat just yet...
If you have access to account receivables that will give you an indicator of what he is actually making and the outgoing bills as well, it can be expensive to run a practice unless the doc is really cheap....
You probably won't find another job that will pay at what you are getting and what would be the point of finding something else only to get a reduction anyway....even the docs who can afford to pay who are cheap are probably riding the "depression" story to their staff. I can just imagine my previous doing that!
Another issue, unemployment, if you should end up in that position and he has to let you go...you do not want to quit...you will lose any unemployment! You stated you were there for years...I was at my job as stated for 16 plus and I am still collecting a decent amount....there are no jobs out there for the oral surgery assistant at this time...they're a little different animal as you may know than general dentistry.
let me know what happens at your job.
Good Luck.
MA1

Assistant in Florida in Boca Raton, Florida

66 months ago

16 years and I love my doctor and love the people I work with...I was probably OVERPAID for quite a while...but I am good and run interferance on any and all the office...the problem with the cut is getting it back...he made some bad real estate investments...and now his day job is paying for it..I dont plan on rocking the boat, but I do plan on bringing lots of CASH in...I am gonna add that up and go to him with the numbers in I figure three months...

He's a horrbile salesman...I am the best I have ever seen...I figure we have a sybionic (spelling) relationship...he needs to realize that..I want my cut back or 7% of what I sell...that might be the better deal..thanks by the way..

Teresa

66 months ago

Could you clarify for me What you are selling?. Good luck with your loyalty.

MA1 in MAHWAH, New Jersey

66 months ago

Assistant in Florida in Boca Raton, Florida said: 16 years and I love my doctor and love the people I work with...I was probably OVERPAID for quite a while...but I am good and run interferance on any and all the office...the problem with the cut is getting it back...he made some bad real estate investments...and now his day job is paying for it..I dont plan on rocking the boat, but I do plan on bringing lots of CASH in...I am gonna add that up and go to him with the numbers in I figure three months...

He's a horrbile salesman...I am the best I have ever seen...I figure we have a sybionic (spelling) relationship...he needs to realize that..I want my cut back or 7% of what I sell...that might be the better deal..thanks by the way..

Hey,
Sounds like you have a plan, and yes many docs invest in Real Estate and typically do well, but with this ecomomic mess we all have to have some empathy...even though staff who are good shouldn't be "shorted" in $$$..He sounds like a good boss and he will probably make good on any loss you or anyone else has incurred in his practice...I'm sure he doesn't want to lose anyone worth keeping...Isn't it funny how some docs just aren't good sales people..and patients I notice tend to lean towards staff for answers even though the doc was just in the room. If he is a decent guy I'm sure he will make a deal.
Keep me posted on you pursuing the $$$.
MA1

Rali in Apo

65 months ago

Teresa said: I agree 100%. I have all three licenses and I have about a 1/2 per cent in mine.

Military Dental Clinics are a great place to be these days. I work in one overseas and the pay is wonderful, the doctors are great and understanding and the benefits are AMAZING.

Rhanada

65 months ago

Hi was wonderong if anyone could give me a little advice, Im 28, live in cleveland, OH no kids, currently going through a 6 month dental assisting program and then 6 weeks of externship, I would like to become either certified or registered but, i need to find out what the difference is exactly, I know you have only an exam to take for rda and 3 for cda,i am trying to find out what the benefit is being an rda, and im thinking about going for rdh, so would it make sense to even get certified? how long is rdh school?

Teresa

65 months ago

Rhanada, I live in New jersey. I have my radiology,CDA,RDA. All states have different rules check yours. I became a CDA first but then set my sights on RDA. In New Jersey there are stricter rules so I went for my all expanded functions I went for my RDA. Taking impressions,Removing & placing temp.making temp, removing sutiures. The list goes on. The DANB website gives a more detailed ,list of what RDA ( Expanded functions does) I wanted to do as much as permitted . I say go for it. RDA should be paid more BUT....Depens on area and economy. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Monica in San Diego, California said: I'm about to take my coronal polish course and try to get my RDA in November, but about to spend at least $400 doing it all.

I'm applying to hygiene school in January 2009 though and I'm at $13 an hour right now and not very experienced and from what it sounds like, although I love my boss, don't know if I'll be seeing much of a raise. To be honest I'll just have the title.

Worth it? or shall I wait to hear back from Hygiene school?

Where are you

Pablo in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

where are you taking your coronal polishing course. They want $360 in west Los Angeles and I feel they are price gouging.

angel in West Chester, Ohio

65 months ago

could someone please tell me what a assistant would start out as after completeing a 10 week course? After this course i complete what else do i need to do?

jmac in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

64 months ago

druss in Warrenton, Virginia said: Almost forgot,

Someone asked about Oral Surgery Assistant Certification:

Check out AAOMS (American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons)

aaoms.org :)

Has anyone taken this cert? How's the test at the end of the course? Any info appreciated my boss wants me to take this...

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey

64 months ago

Yes,the testing is multiple choice and will be on various areas ,patient monitoring under sedation/general anesthesia,surgical techniques/instrumentation and the ICE(infection control exam) I found it to be relative to the work, of course having worked in an Oral Surgery office first for the experience always helps.
If it is still offered by the Dental Assisting National Board, then go for it! I have been certified since 1996. They had stopped giving the exam because their were not enough requests at the time. They may have brought it back. There seem to be more doctors coming out of Oral Surgery School and the same retiring. Therefore, demand for more "qualified assistants" You do need more education than a CDA/RDA since you will be dealing with (or are already) with patients under "General Anesthesia" and you will need more education on how to handle these patients.
I find it to be very rewarding to have the Certification myself as a Assistant in the "Dental" field. Finally, you would be able to ask for more pay. In New Jersey untrained some doc's offer $15.00 to $18.00 trained brings $20.00 to 25.00 or more an hour. As long as the Doctor "Appreciates" you skills.
Hope this helps. let me know.

64 months ago

Gin. in Fairfield, New Jersey said: I got my CDA/RDA here in New Jersey april of this year.
I have been in the dental field for 12 years as a Dental assistant. as a reg DA i made 21.00 an hour. I now with CDA/RDA certification make 30.00 an hour.
there are searches you can do at indeed job.com for salary's in you area.
average salary in my area for an RDA is 56,000.00.
do not sell your self short.
you work hard and deserve to be compensated

Hey Gin,
I agree, you live in Fairfield,NJ. That's where I grew up as a teen. moved there in 1978. Tell me are there any Oral Surgeons in your area looking for assistants. Any info would help. I have my Certification as an Oral Surgery Assistant.
Thanks,
MA1

Smile for me. in Boca Raton, Florida

64 months ago

Teresa said: Yes It's true Dr's do not want to pay . I applied for a job when I told the dr I was making $22 hr he said he could not do that right now. I ask what was he offering he said $17 - $19 I signed my name Teresa CDA,RDA

Hi, I am sorry, but I nearly pissed myself laughing, you wrote CDA, RDA after your name? The dentist must have laughed to himself thinking " who does this girl think she is?" really? it was kind of a crass act.
I am sorry, I know from experience that dental assistants are under paid (i am not arguing that) but the fact of the mater is: You're just a Dental Assistant! That's the way it is... and the way it will always be.... Dental assistants are mislead to think they will be missed, after they are gone, but one Office mng told me once... "dental asst come and go... there will always be another girl"
It's the truth.

It is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

jmac in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

64 months ago

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Yes,the testing is multiple choice and will be on various areas ,patient monitoring under sedation/general anesthesia,surgical techniques/instrumentation and the ICE(infection control exam) I found it to be relative to the work, of course having worked in an Oral Surgery office first for the experience always helps.
If it is still offered by the Dental Assisting National Board, then go for it! I have been certified since 1996. They had stopped giving the exam because their were not enough requests at the time. They may have brought it back. There seem to be more doctors coming out of Oral Surgery School and the same retiring. Therefore, demand for more "qualified assistants" You do need more education than a CDA/RDA since you will be dealing with (or are already) with patients under "General Anesthesia" and you will need more education on how to handle these patients.
I find it to be very rewarding to have the Certification myself as a Assistant in the "Dental" field. Finally, you would be able to ask for more pay. In New Jersey untrained some doc's offer $15.00 to $18.00 trained brings $20.00 to 25.00 or more an hour. As long as the Doctor "Appreciates" you skills.
Hope this helps. let me know.

Thanks for the encouragement:)
Good RDA's are scarce here and we have a good group so they want us certified...been working in Oral Surgery for about 4 years and an RDA since '92 I think they do appreciate us because we are harder to find here, a good group of people all around, it seems :)
We make $20 an hour here with benefits/pension and are going after them for morw once we are certified, wish me luck...

64 months ago

I was just on DANB's website, looking at all the different states assisting practices, and noticed how NY is one of the very few that doesn't allow expanded functions. I finished school with ef, and they made me take it, even though I will not be using it. Which makes me think the state will be allowing it in the future. I just don't know how my boss will adapt to it. Was anyone working as an assistant before EF came into the scope of practice? If so how did the dentists deal with it?

64 months ago

Keri in Cortland, New York said: I was just on DANB's website, looking at all the different states assisting practices, and noticed how NY is one of the very few that doesn't allow expanded functions. I finished school with ef, and they made me take it, even though I will not be using it. Which makes me think the state will be allowing it in the future. I just don't know how my boss will adapt to it. Was anyone working as an assistant before EF came into the scope of practice? If so how did the dentists deal with it?

Hi,
In all reality,,,if the Dentist wants you to do these functions,it is "his practice" if he has the malpractice insurance and covers you as his assistant than he is responsible for any problems/issues. At least in NJ that is how it has been always done.

64 months ago

Smile for me. in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hi, I am sorry, but I nearly pissed myself laughing, you wrote CDA, RDA after your name? The dentist must have laughed to himself thinking " who does this girl think she is?" really? it was kind of a crass act.
I am sorry, I know from experience that dental assistants are under paid (i am not arguing that) but the fact of the mater is: You're just a Dental Assistant! That's the way it is... and the way it will always be.... Dental assistants are mislead to think they will be missed, after they are gone, but one Office mng told me once... "dental asst come and go... there will always be another girl"
It's the truth.

It is what it is.

Hi,
I agree for the most post what you had said is true...dental assistants can be replaced and that is the "mentality" of a lot of doctors...Your remark had me thinking and laughing because I left my "oral surgery" job almost two years ago and found out about a month or so ago the "Good Doctor" still has not found a replacmentment for me! I guess you "can be replaced" but "not so easily"...My case was "he didn't want to pay me what the current going rate is which is fair and reasonable...he is just one of those "cheap" individuals...but I understand he was/is still going through assistants! Some people just do not learn or not no who they have until they are gone.
MA1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Teresa said: Yes you are right, but after all the training and work.. I needed to do that For me.Please refraim from negativity. I have struggled enough to get where I am without having another assistant be cruel whether it is justified or not. I have never given any comments here negatively and I wouldlike the same treatment. Thank you

Hi Teresa,
Never look at becoming more educated as a negative,as I'm sure you are not. Some people just 'see' things differently...some doctors do appreciate the education you bring to their practice..of course if you noticed those are the "more Professional" doctors...just like assistants, there are all kinds of doctors out there and they all run their practice differently. My doctor did not even know way back when I had gotten my Certification as an Oral Surgery Assistant that AAOMS even offered it..Once I had it, he proudly told everyone and increased my salary and bonus to thank me!
I understand where you are coming from and I am still looking to get more educated be it oral surgery or med assisting..another avenue that the $$$ right now are not available for me.who knows maybe I will even try the GP field and get my RDA myself..
Keep Smilin :)

try other work in Monroe, Michigan

64 months ago

IF you think you have it bad - try living in Michigan.
No raise in 5 years (that's all employees, not just one) pay under $18 per hr.with over 18 yrs exp. with numerous extended duties. NO benefits except paid holidays, one Christmas bonus.They a will match a small IRA contribution but who can afford to take it out of their ck?
No compliments just criticism. All they care about is their bottom line, their vacations, etc. Alot of stress to deal with.
And then tell you the economy is so bad they can get a DA at $12 per hr. They pay the cleaning lady more.

64 months ago

try other work in Monroe, Michigan said: IF you think you have it bad - try living in Michigan.
No raise in 5 years (that's all employees, not just one) pay under $18 per hr.with over 18 yrs exp. with numerous extended duties. NO benefits except paid holidays, one Christmas bonus.They a will match a small IRA contribution but who can afford to take it out of their ck?
No compliments just criticism. All they care about is their bottom line, their vacations, etc. Alot of stress to deal with.
And then tell you the economy is so bad they can get a DA at $12 per hr. They pay the cleaning lady more.

Actually, you can have it just as bad here, I WAS under or at 15.00 an hour after 16 years...The "Doctor" was just a cheap you know what, cut our healthcoverage in half, lousy plan, made us work harder to even GET A BONUS up the anty from over 40,000 to 100,000 per month in order to get a 1% payout...and yes our cleaning lady was working much less and getting paid as much..go figure..
MA1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

beee in Citrus Heights, California said: i suggest you push-thru with the dental hygiene program. Finance your schooling, dont waste your time waiting for school lottery. Dental hygienists get the same pay as gen.dentists do with a limited scope of job, that's just scaling and prophylaxis. My niece just got her license as dental hygienist and shes making $50/hr at the minimum, being treated like a dentist, she doesnt have to work as hard (as a maid) as some of us RDA's do.Working beyond the scope of our job yet and paid low. Very rare that you'll find a fair dentist employer, most of them are just selfish, liar and insensitive. so, i say, go be a dental hygienist.

what do you mean "finance your schooling, don't waste your time waiting for school lottery."? what schools have you heard of that are not on a lottery system?

Jeanne in Old Bridge, New Jersey

62 months ago

It is very interesting to read all the blogs posted. I can see nothing has changed since the early 80's. I was one of NJ's first RDA's to be certified. The sad part seems, from what I've been tracing, nothing has changed in all these years. When I left to begin a family in 1985 I was working for a really GREAT dentist; small practice, relatively great hours (no evenings & alt. Saturdays during the winter), etc. I can't remember exactly but I think I was making about $15/hr then. No benefits but I remember a uniform allowance paid weekly. He really appreciated my work & gave me the room to expand myself since he was getting up there in age. I enjoyed my job; I kept my licenses current for a few years & was lucky enough not to have to return to work. The sad part is that I let my licenses lapse when I felt I had to make a tough decision at the time: (Please keep in mind the 80's time frame) the New Jersey Dental Association informed all workers about the "hazards of working in an environment without full knowledge of the newest disease called AIDS, for which the transmission of the disease is not yet understood, so all professionals are urged to take full precautions, including but not limited to double-masking and double gloves" (their wording in letters mailed to every dental professional at the time). Being a young mom my husband & I discussed all the aspects known; I gave it all up. Now I actually found this site because I am considering my route for recertification, if I can do so! The times have changed, as has our knowledge concerning safety in the workplace. When I read the variety in this sites blogs I am shocked that the pay scale has not changed as much as it should! Those of you who are younger should be aware that in the early 1980's the average pay scale for an RDA in central NJ was where I was at---$15/hr. Those who travel to northern NJ, closer to NY would receive more pay per hour, but in my neighborhood I would still make that!

MA1 in Oakland, New Jersey

62 months ago

Hi,
I agree as well regarding the pay scale. I have been out of work as an Oral Surgery Assistant since the end of 07. Reason; my "new" boss promised raises and never came through,when i asked for the third time in that year and a half after my previous boss retired,(who was very generous) fired me. I'm current on all my certs etc...and even take an occasional on line course to update on certain issues. He just didn't appreciate my knowledge & skills being 15 plus years in Oral Surgery. I understand he still has not found anyone to replace me. He has gone through at least 4 assistants already in not even 2 years.
I find that in looking for jobs now I get people who want to hire me and like my resume' but not willing to pay. my previous job only paid 15.75 an hour, definitely should be making more than that after that long. The new guy wanted to keep me on staff,simply because he didn't want to train someone else. I gave up asking for raises not even one to keep up with the cost of living. He would say "thank you" after assisting on every case. I guess that was my raise! I got so sick of hearing that, can you imagine tired of hearing 'thank you' that's how disgusted I had been!
Anyway, I still looking and tossing around the MA pursuit. Good Luck to you and yes it does pay to keep up your licenses. Things haven't changed all that much in Dental X-Ray other than digital, you still need to go through the usual X-Ray studies etc...
MA1

Divatooth in Lebanon, Ohio

62 months ago

What is the best resume format? How much information should you leave out and for the interview process? Eye catching tips.Rusty need a little help! Thanks

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.