MA in what may I ask??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Divatooth in Lebanon, Ohio

62 months ago

I think she means medical Asst.?

jmac in Halifax, Nova Scotia

60 months ago

jmac in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia said: Thanks for the encouragement:)
Good RDA's are scarce here and we have a good group so they want us certified...been working in Oral Surgery for about 4 years and an RDA since '92 I think they do appreciate us because we are harder to find here, a good group of people all around, it seems :)
We make $20 an hour here with benefits/pension and are going after them for morw once we are certified, wish me luck...

I'm taking the exam next week and wondering from anyone that has taken it...do we need to know dosages of meds? Do you guys push meds in the US?
The nurses do that here and it occured to me that the duties may be different in th US...anyone remember questions or being surprised that a certain question was on trhe exam?

Thanks,
J

60 months ago

jmac in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia said: Thanks for the encouragement:)
Good RDA's are scarce here and we have a good group so they want us certified...been working in Oral Surgery for about 4 years and an RDA since '92 I think they do appreciate us because we are harder to find here, a good group of people all around, it seems :)
We make $20 an hour here with benefits/pension and are going after them for morw once we are certified, wish me luck...

I'm taking the exam next week and wondering from anyone that has taken it...do we need to know dosages of meds? Do you guys push meds in the US?
The nurses do that here and it occured to me that the duties may be different in th US...anyone remember questions or being surprised that a certain question was on trhe exam?

60 months ago

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Yes,the testing is multiple choice and will be on various areas ,patient monitoring under sedation/general anesthesia,surgical techniques/instrumentation and the ICE(infection control exam) I found it to be relative to the work, of course having worked in an Oral Surgery office first for the experience always helps.
If it is still offered by the Dental Assisting National Board, then go for it! I have been certified since 1996. They had stopped giving the exam because their were not enough requests at the time. They may have brought it back. There seem to be more doctors coming out of Oral Surgery School and the same retiring. Therefore, demand for more "qualified assistants" You do need more education than a CDA/RDA since you will be dealing with (or are already) with patients under "General Anesthesia" and you will need more education on how to handle these patients.
I find it to be very rewarding to have the Certification myself as a Assistant in the "Dental" field. Finally, you would be able to ask for more pay. In New Jersey untrained some doc's offer $15.00 to $18.00 trained brings $20.00 to 25.00 or more an hour. As long as the Doctor "Appreciates" you skills.
Hope this helps. let me know.

kathy in Moreno Valley, California

60 months ago

Teresa said: There is no Dental Assistant that is paid what she or he is worth.I am currently unemployed and I am CDA/RDA. I am now considered over qualified. They don't think they can afford me. I do not need benefits cause of have them with my husband. I Figured replacement of benefits would be better salary.I was wrong.

i agree with you i havent worked in months this is crazy

mPERRE in Long Beach, California

59 months ago

Becky in Berkeley, California said: I am concerned as I have an extensive accounting and customer service background and am currently a student for an RDA. I was under the impression with hard work and committment that I would at least be starting at $18.00 and hour. I think I might have made a mistake.

I take it, you are done with your RDA certification. How is the career change? Pls let me know am thinking of doing the same i just have not heard much positive news in the RDA field. Were you able to find a job that pays more than 16 in CA? and how much was the RDA prog.

marci in Dublin, Georgia

59 months ago

DentNut in Sayreville, New Jersey said: Question for anyone who has advice.
I will be an RDA in March 2009 and I am currently working for a 30ish year old general dentist. He hired me right out of a dental assisting program that was only 13 weeks long (1 class a week) and I have been their ever since working part time. He tends to be VERY frugal when it comes to spending which is understandable due to him being a pretty new dentist. I am concerned about the fact that the full time assistant is doing things that she is not suppose to by law. ex: Alginate impressions, temp crowns etc. How the heck am I suppose to ask for a and get a good raise if she is doing these things unlicensed?? I don't want to be a jerk about it but why should I suffer for what she is willing to do?? Any suggestions??

I'm not sure what the law is in NJ but in Georgia alginate impressions and temp crowns are part of expanded functions. Is she not a certified EFDA or it is not part of it in NJ?

Teresa

59 months ago

YOU MUST BE DANB CERTIFIRED AND REGISTERED IN NEW JERSEY ( EXPANDED FUNCTIONS) TO DO ALL OF WHAT SHE IS DOING.LOOK ON LINE AT DANB (DENTAL ASSISTANT NATIONAL BOARD) WEBSITE

ma1 in Chatham, New Jersey

59 months ago

Hi, NJ offers ef but not required,yet...but ultimately the dentist is responsible if this person is doing job not licensed too do....the doc's won't and don't care who does the job as long as it gets done is what I have experienced..if he really values you discuss it with him if he is willing to listen...you don't want to piss off the other gal either because when it is crazy busy you will wish she could do it...my attitude became if they want to work harder for less than let them. I frankly took the laid back attitude and let them do it...I had been doing everything long enough with no increased in pay and felt it was time for me to let other people work hard for a change as I did when I started working...
MA1

ko in Edmonton, Alberta

59 months ago

I make 30$/ hour and I graduated from NAIT as an RDA II in 2007. Everyone needs to start asking for more money wow!

Teresa

59 months ago

Your statement reads RDA ll what does that mean?? Also you are in Cananda. In the United States we are very low paid depending the area and the office.For ALL THE work we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kel in San Diego, California

59 months ago

marci in Dublin, Georgia said: I'm not sure what the law is in NJ but in Georgia alginate impressions and temp crowns are part of expanded functions. Is she not a certified EFDA or it is not part of it in NJ?

well hes cheep thats why hes hired you,stright out of school,if you do what shes doing youll never get payed by him just learn and move on

yolanda in Astoria, New York

59 months ago

Hello Ko in Edmonton, you said that you graduated in 2007 and now youre making $30 an hour. Did you had previous experience in the dental field. Honestly you are very fortunate to have that job with that salary. I agree with you that fact that we as Dental Assistants need to ask for more money, however that will only depend on how we know ourselves meaning how much experienced we really are and how well we can perform our job in the dental office.

Debbie in Hacienda Heights, California

59 months ago

i have been an RDA for 15 years i have two jobs as Office Manager of two general offices.we are all blessed to be in a field that is surviving this recession. I think if you wake up every day and enjoy what you do and feel apprecited for a job well done, then you will never feel underpaid. the Dr.s we all work for have traveled a long road to have what they have. most did not get there without our help. it has been my experience that if you make them more money, you will always be worth more money. for me my bonus money is more than my pay ck. management is the way to better pay. do your time in the back and move on. There is always new grads for that job.
i make 18.00 per hr in one office and 20.00 per hr in the other but bonus money makes both me and the dr happy

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey

59 months ago

Hi, sounds like my previous job before the new "cheap" guy took over...unfortunutely he did not have the same view as my previous boss...yes, feeling appreciated is a great feeling...but when you don't and the pay isn't there it sets a whole different outlook...being taken advantage of is not a good feeling...they may have traveled a long road but don't most people in one way or another? and when you do make them money as my previous boss always felt he should share the wealth with his staff...not the new guy...all for himself...thank god I moved on I gave it a year and a half and got fed up being promised raises and never received them and doing the job some days of 2 to 3 people..yes he was even cheap to hire new staff....
MA1

nnobriga61 in Walnut Creek, California

58 months ago

Hi, I have been a RDA for 18 years when I was working I made 22 hr. I am Currantly out of work I have been to interview after interview i am having a hard time finding a job because Dr. don't want to pay me what I an worth I went to one job in Burkeley, Ca and the Dr. only offered me 16.00 hr I made that when I was a DA so it is very frustrating .

LUCY P in Garden Grove, California

58 months ago

WHO HAS THE UPDATED RDA WRIITEN TEST QUESTIONS I NEED TO STUDY TO PASS MY TEST??

LUCY P in Garden Grove, California

58 months ago

can someone have the rda stdy. questions need them asap to study thaks!!

Yollie in Whittier, California

57 months ago

lucy, you can get a hold of the California/Committee on Dental Auxiliaries www.comda.ca.gov that may give you some tips on the exam. Or call infomation for their phone number. Sorry can't give you this on this site.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Yollie

ko in Edmonton, Alberta

57 months ago

yolanda in Astoria, New York said: Hello Ko in Edmonton, you said that you graduated in 2007 and now youre making $30 an hour. Did you had previous experience in the dental field. Honestly you are very fortunate to have that job with that salary. I agree with you that fact that we as Dental Assistants need to ask for more money, however that will only depend on how we know ourselves meaning how much experienced we really are and how well we can perform our job in the dental office.

I had no expirence.. but I guess in Canada we make more money? We are in very high demand here so they pay well to get assistants! I love my job I have full benifits and we go on a fully paied vacation all inclusive every year with the staff and spouse's. We are probably going to europe for 2 weeks next spring as our next trip.

ko in Edmonton, Alberta

57 months ago

Teresa said: Your statement reads RDA ll what does that mean?? Also you are in Cananda. In the United States we are very low paid depending the area and the office.For ALL THE work we do.

and RDA11 is the highest trained assistant in canada.

allsmiles in Middleburg, Virginia

57 months ago

The higher paying jobs ARE out there...even in this economy. We just need to know where to look and be a little patient. I live in Northern Virginia and currently work as an RDA with 18 years experience, in an Oral Surgery Office for $15/hr. I took this job (the only one I could find at the time) in Feb of this year when our economy was deep in slump, however, I have found as the year progressed that more and higher paying jobs are reappearing as the state of our nation gradually improves and people are panicking less. Recently I began looking for jobs in Indiana as I am getting married in December of this year and wanting to procure employment as soon as possible before the Christmas slump. I was able to get hired, all the way from Virginia, within 1 week of putting my resume out. They will pay me $18/hour. What is incredible is that Indiana's cost of living in dramatically lower than Northern Virginia's. Anyone who knows what it costs to live close to the Washington DC area will understand! I will have to drive 1 hour to get to work but that is better than sitting in traffic for an hour, so I'm happy. It still isn't as much pay as I made 8 years ago ($20/hr) but considering all, it is way better than my current situation making $15. I guess it's all in how you look at it and what your needs are. Cost of living, for me, is the most important factor. I feel sorry for you gals who live in New York/New Jersey and California...your cost of living is about the same as Northern Virginia, who can survive these days making less than $20/hr in these areas.
God Bless you in your searches!

amit in Delhi, India

57 months ago

hi i am amit from Delhi India i have done my dental technician diploma but i am assisting with Dr.in oral surgery from 1 year can u please tell me any course i have to do for this or can u please tell me how can i get the license to work in UAE

amit in Delhi, India

57 months ago

hi i am amit from Delhi India i have done my dental technician diploma but i am assisting with Dr.in oral surgery from 1 year can u please tell me any course i have to do for this or can u please tell me how can i get the license to work in UAE as u have all three license

dela in San Diego, California

56 months ago

san diego said: I want to get into ortho assistant, im in a rda program now. Its sad to hear only 24 dollars or so after 20 years. After 20 years i'd think ya'll be making 40s by now. Does ortho make more or should i go with perio,endo,prosth? Not into hygienist...

Ive been in this profession as and RDA 16 years my top salary is $26.oo an hour who told you the $40.00 are you kidding you need to seek hygiene school!!!

dela in San Diego, California

56 months ago

Ive been in this profession as an RDA for 16 years my salary is $26.00 and hour and I have to do front office as weel to get this. Your best bet is to go into hygiene your never going to as an assitant make $40.00 an hour not when a doctor can hire a DA for $9.00 an hour or less experienced RDA for $12.00 to $18.00
Good luck I would love to have you prove me wrong it will give all of us other seasoned RDA's hope!!!

Gabriela2010 in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Hi! Can anyone help me?

I would like to know what is the pay rate for a Dental Assistant in San Diego CA. I have three years of experience and I also have an X-ray license and Coronal Polish license.

Thank you in advance!

maggie in Chino, California

54 months ago

jmac in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia said: Has anyone taken this cert? How's the test at the end of the course? Any info appreciated my boss wants me to take this...

i took this test 4 years ago! its very helpful. the testing is not to hard. but you do have to study. its worth it. good luck!

Susan in Knoxville, Tennessee

54 months ago

It's not related to dentistry, but I was looking up salaries, and came across this board. It made me think of a comment you all might enjoy. A piano teacher with six years of college, bachelor's and master's degree, received a phone call from a parent interested in having her child take lessons. She grilled the teacher about her credentials and her experience. Then she asked the price. When the teacher told her, the mother replied, shocked, "Why, that's more than my maid makes!"

One other comment. My daughter-in-law is in dental school, and your weeks of training do not compare to her years of schooling and hours of studying. She's at year four now and going to specialize for a few more years. I know you work hard; I love the hygienist who takes care of my teeth, but she's not the dentist, and I as patient do not confuse the two. Neither does she. She feels like an expert in her area, but stops short at her boundaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KC in Edmonton, Alberta

54 months ago

Hahahaha that's funny good comment...why are you even on here..... Get a life and go tell your daughter to work without assistants or hygienist! See how sucsessful she is! 4 years of school is not that long hygienists program is also 4 years! If your daughters attitude is like yours thinking she's so much better then everyone, good luck having and keeping loyal staff! Dentistry is a team. But thanks for that comment no one cares!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

54 months ago

Susan in Knoxville, Tennessee said: It's not related to dentistry, but I was looking up salaries, and came across this board. It made me think of a comment you all might enjoy. A piano teacher with six years of college, bachelor's and master's degree, received a phone call from a parent interested in having her child take lessons. She grilled the teacher about her credentials and her experience. Then she asked the price. When the teacher told her, the mother replied, shocked, "Why, that's more than my maid makes!"

One other comment. My daughter-in-law is in dental school, and your weeks of training do not compare to her years of schooling and hours of studying. She's at year four now and going to specialize for a few more years. I know you work hard; I love the hygienist who takes care of my teeth, but she's not the dentist, and I as patient do not confuse the two. Neither does she. She feels like an expert in her area, but stops short at her boundaries.

"the hygienist who takes care of my teeth," is not quite right. Hygienists take care of your mouth including the oral manisfestations of underlying health conditions. Dentists don't tend to do this as much as they rely on their hygients & their area of training to do this. (I know that there are some out there that do, but not many) . For all you patients out there, this is also the reason hygienists HAVE to go under your gums even if it is DEEP.

KC in Edmonton, Alberta

54 months ago

Thankyou!! Hygienists are the specialists!

Angela,RDH in Lawrenceville, Georgia

54 months ago

Susan in Knoxville, Tennessee said: It's not related to dentistry, but I was looking....

Weeks of training? Where did you get that information? I think you must be confusing educated, degree-holding, licensed dental hygienists with an entry-level assistant. Apparently, you were quite surprised at our salary. You obviously have no idea what we do all day or the amount and type of schooling we all receive. Perhaps you are of the thinking that all we do is "chat and polish teeth". Perhaps you are unaware that for a good portion of our education, we sit next to nursing students before we divide to begin our major courses. (I would like to mention here that many of them have never seen an orofacial anatomy book, never taken an oral pathology class, were not taught in their pharmacology class the oral implications of many medications...I could go on and on.)

As for the hygienist not being the dentist...who do you think tells the dentist all the info about a patient? Who do you think updates him on medical changes, clinical appearance of things, suspicions of health concerns, etc? Just b/c someone has the initials 'Dr.' attached to their name, it doesn't make them all knowing or that they actually know more. It means they went to school longer and are able to provide dental treatment. Hygienists provide oral healthcare treatment--two entirely different entities. (I would like to add here that no one--EXCEPT A LICENSED DENTAL PROFESSIONAL--is legally permitted to do what we do.)

I hope your daughter-in-law figures things out while in school. If she continues to have a similar attitude to yours, she will have trouble keeping staff members that are good at what they do. I'd like to see her, or any dentist, run a practice without hygienists and assistants. Can't be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

54 months ago

Susan in Knoxville, Tennessee said: It's not related to dentistry, but I was looking up salaries, and came across this board. It made me think of a comment you all might enjoy. A piano teacher with six years of college, bachelor's and master's degree, received a phone call from a parent interested in having her child take lessons. She grilled the teacher about her credentials and her experience. Then she asked the price. When the teacher told her, the mother replied, shocked, "Why, that's more than my maid makes!"

You are right though, I know cleaning ladies that make more than me. I would love to hire 1 but I can't afford to as so many out there make about $5/ hour more than me. Unless they work under the table, they make anywhere between $30-$60/hour. These are the ones that work on their own not for an agency. What I find funny is that people don't think twice paying someone this wage for a clean house & the wage is perfectly fine; but when it comes to hygiene wage, it's a problem even though we have the education to back it. I guess people value a clean house more than their health.

Chandy in Jeffersonville, Indiana

54 months ago

Okay, so I'm like confused. I'm looking at the boards and people are saying $20.00/hour is too low. Um, I only make $10.50/hour (40 hours/wk) working at a law firm that is sucking my soul dry. I'm looking into dental assistant school, but I'm worried that the initial investment of $4000.00 would be too much if I'm not able to get a job making at least $12.00/hour (40 hours/wk) Heck, I'd work 50 hours a week for $12.00/hour. So I guess my questions are: How much do dental assistants start out making per year? Is dental assisting school really worth it? Also, do I need to go ahead & pay an extra $2000.00 and get the EDDA certification. Please let me know, I'm worried my employer is going to start cutting jobs and that they can replace me for someone who will take $8.50/hour.

Teresa

54 months ago

I live in New Jersey.Yes You can make more than $20 or so an hour.I recommend that you go for the Expanded functions. Themore you know the more valuable you are. Make sure YOU are picky withwhom you work for. Some dentists don't care about assistants.They just want the work done. GO FOR IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thanks Teresa, that makes me feel loads better! Is the training difficult? There is a program offered by the Academy of Dental Assisting in Louisville, KY. It says it only takes 8 weeks to be a basic dental assistant, then another 4 weeks to do the Expanded. Does this sound too good to be true! I still think I want to go for it (thanks to your encouragement), but now I have to look at programs, lol! Does it ever get simple? :)

Teresa

54 months ago

Enjoy the job. Yes it is rewarding.Is it full time classes? No it is pretty standard. Above all make sure you are true to your self

54 months ago

You have just been fantastic Teresa, I feel I've gotten more information out of you tonight then I did in 20 minutes on the phone with the guy from the program. See it just seems odd to me, most people say that they've had a year of training, but this class is only 8 weeks, 2 nights a week from 6:00 to 9:30 pm. They boast job placement assistant with 95% job placement rate. My granny always told me if it seemed too good to be true, then it probably is.

Teresa

54 months ago

Just make sure that you are comfortable withe the office ifthey find you one.You should be happy with it.

54 months ago

Thanks so much and have a wonderful February 14th! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie Williamson in Sterling Heights, Michigan

53 months ago

Hello, My name is Carrie Williamson. I just graduated or a Dental Assistant Program at Ross Medical Education Center in New Baltimore, Michigan. I completed 180 hours of externship at a dental office, unfortunately, they were company ran, and couldn't afford to hire me directly. I since have obtained 2 temporary dental assistant assistant staffing positions with different agencies, and done on many interviews, but no dentist/orthodontist is willing to take a chance on me without years of experience. How does someone like me get a break? I've offerred to temp with them to get the necessary hands-on experience with offices, but still no luck. Can anyone give me any advice. DANGB requires so much hands-on/office experience prior to taking the exams to become a CDA, but if I'm not given a chance, then obviously this will take more time, before I even meet the minimum qualification for exam. Michigan really has things bad for employment opportunities. I am a very diligent, responsible, dependable, detailed and organized worker. My resume is good, but no dentist or orthodontic professional is willing to give me a chance. I know the procedures, can take x-rays, impressions, front office duties too. But no one will ever know this, because dental offices are too scared to try ang hire a new graduate from school. I guess I'll have to stay in temporary staffing until someone is willing to give me a shot.

Divatooth in Lebanon, Ohio

53 months ago

Carrie Williamson in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Hello, My name is Carrie Williamson. I just graduated or a Dental Assistant Program at Ross Medical Education Center in New Baltimore, Michigan. I completed 180 hours of externship at a dental office, unfortunately, they were company ran, and couldn't afford to hire me directly. I since have obtained 2 temporary dental assistant assistant staffing positions with different agencies, and done on many interviews, but no dentist/orthodontist is willing to take a chance on me without years of experience. How does someone like me get a break? I've offerred to temp with them to get the necessary hands-on experience with offices, but still no luck. Can anyone give me any advice. DANGB requires so much hands-on/office experience prior to taking the exams to become a CDA, but if I'm not given a chance, then obviously this will take more time, before I even meet the minimum qualification for exam. Michigan really has things bad for employment opportunities. I am a very diligent, responsible, dependable, detailed and organized worker. My resume is good, but no dentist or orthodontic professional is willing to give me a chance. I know the procedures, can take x-rays, impressions, front office duties too. But no one will ever know this, because dental offices are too scared to try ang hire a new graduate from school. I guess I'll have to stay in temporary staffing until someone is willing to give me a shot.

Do you have a V.A. hospital that does Dental treatment on Vets close by? This might be a good place to help the vol.dentist doing treatment care and your hours you need. Also school programs gov. asst. treatment care.

Dennis in Greentown, Indiana

52 months ago

Pablo in Los Angeles, California said: Where are you

I'm an RDA and my hr wages are in the high end, at 21 dollars per hr!! If I were u go to hygene they make between 32-48 an hr well worth it!!! I'm going into the dental program only went this route to see if I'm cut out for this!!!! Good luck!!!!

Becky in Sacramento. CA in Camden, New Jersey

52 months ago

[RDH jobs are not as secure as they may have been in the past. A DDS is more likely to let go of an expensive hygienist when the economy gets tough and do the scaling and leave the coronal polishing to the RDA. With many changes pending the RDA is going to be a more invaluable employee to the DDS. We are seeing salaries going up for the RDA and duties increasing. This is an exciting time to enter the field of dental assisting for the younger generation as they will see much growth and increased future potential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

wow in Mansfield, Ohio

52 months ago

Carrie Williamson in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Hello, My name is Carrie Williamson. I just graduated or a Dental Assistant Program at Ross Medical Education Center in New Baltimore, Michigan. I completed 180 hours of externship at a dental office, unfortunately, they were company ran, and couldn't afford to hire me directly. I since have obtained 2 temporary dental assistant assistant staffing positions with different agencies, and done on many interviews, but no dentist/orthodontist is willing to take a chance on me without years of experience. How does someone like me get a break? I've offerred to temp with them to get the necessary hands-on experience with offices, but still no luck. Can anyone give me any advice. DANGB requires so much hands-on/office experience prior to taking the exams to become a CDA, but if I'm not given a chance, then obviously this will take more time, before I even meet the minimum qualification for exam. Michigan really has things bad for employment opportunities. I am a very diligent, responsible, dependable, detailed and organized worker. My resume is good, but no dentist or orthodontic professional is willing to give me a chance. I know the procedures, can take x-rays, impressions, front office duties too. But no one will ever know this, because dental offices are too scared to try ang hire a new graduate from school. I guess I'll have to stay in temporary staffing until someone is willing to give me a shot.

carrie, my name is heidi. I was a rda in michigan 10 years ago when i left. do you know anything about any rda programs around? I am an efda in ohio and make approx 30 but i did not make half of that as a rda in michigan when I left. I heard theyve adopted rda placing fillings and that is what efda do in ohio. thats why I make 30. any word on the street?

Angie in Cumming, Georgia

52 months ago

beee in Citrus Heights, California said: i suggest you push-thru with the dental hygiene program. Finance your schooling, dont waste your time waiting for school lottery. Dental hygienists get the same pay as gen.dentists do with a limited scope of job, that's just scaling and prophylaxis. My niece just got her license as dental hygienist and shes making $50/hr at the minimum, being treated like a dentist, she doesnt have to work as hard (as a maid) as some of us RDA's do.Working beyond the scope of our job yet and paid low. Very rare that you'll find a fair dentist employer, most of them are just selfish, liar and insensitive. so, i say, go be a dental hygienist.

I too agree. If you want to make good money go into Hyg. don't waste your time with assistaing. When you could be spending those yrs getting into Hyg. Wished I had. Your not missing anything by skipping assistaing.

moll in New Jersey

51 months ago

Has anyone heard about the extended functions class for dental assistants in NJ, I am expanded functions but this is supposed to be extended

Seriously? in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

MA1 in MAHWAH, New Jersey said: Hi,
I have never gone through a salary cut but I did work for someone who was cheap...he tookover the other doctors practice...I worked for the original doctor for 16 plus years he was great with $$$ to include bonuses...well the "new" doc" I found out later, he came in saying we made to much money, wanted to cut the bonus program out completely, and really didn't want to hire anyone new...wanted only me on many cases becasue I had experience...he felt privlaged I guess and didn't want to struggle with someone new to assist..
Well, I can tell u I was outta there fast!
...blah blah blah

I know this was posted a while ago, and this forum is mainly a whine fest, but this post just rubbed me the wrong way. Think about it for just a second. Do you really believe the new doc was just handed the practice and is magically established and debt free after his (likely) recent graduation from 8+ years of school? You think he is in exactly the same position as the old doc to reward his new staff that hasn't really done anything for him yet? In reality, the new doc just took out a massive loan to buy that practice and that is where most of the office's production is going. What little is left after that mostly goes to student loan payments. You want to make yourself worth the bonuses (think about that word for a minute too)? Help increase production and make that doctor some money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.