? about working interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 184)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

62 months ago

Shaunastx in Houston, Texas said: I just had an interview two weeks ago...i have 16 years experience and they offered me $12.00 an hr....LOL

You should have gotten up, shook hands and say "Goodbye, best luck doctor - you get what you pay for"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tango in Spring, Texas

61 months ago

Ashley in Sacramento, California said: I'm in DA school and i graduate in July/August. I've been reading this forum and doing some research and i'm really starting to wonder if i went into the wrong field. It seems like the pay isn't that great and that i would be better off just sticking to a regular job. They seem to be getting paid the same amount...
This worries me a little bit, to be honest.

When you first get out of DA school, dont get discourged! At first it may be difficult (espcially with the economy) to find an office that is willing to give you on the job training. Just keep a posituve attitude and dont give up!!

angela in West Hartford, Connecticut

61 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for about five years. I have my associates degree and C.D.A. I live in CT is there anyone who knows how much a dental assisting instructor makes in this area.. I read it is only 21.00 an hr. That can not be true.

linda in Princeton, West Virginia

60 months ago

NEW DA in Reseda, California said: I just finished my dental assisting course a month ago, am on internship now i dont like the office where i am at now, and the dentist has offered me $9.00 an hour and he tells us to save everything, use same hand gloves, masks, and mixing pads etc, i dont feel comfortable working there what should i do...i feel that i have wasted my time and money by taking this course when i wont get paid well...i love my back office work.

GROSS has he ever heard of infection control??????????????????? I know jobs are hard to come by but if I were you I would start looking for another office. If the dentist is too cheap to want to provide a safe working environment for his employees then I wouldnt want to work for him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Woodbridge, Virginia

58 months ago

I'm going to working interview tomorrow at Dental Office as a Dental Assistant. I would like to know if I got paid? and do I need to sign any contract to have a proved if Dr. wont't pay me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

Alice in Woodbridge, Virginia said: I'm going to working interview tomorrow at Dental Office as a Dental Assistant. I would like to know if I got paid? and do I need to sign any contract to have a proved if Dr. wont't pay me.

I'm a hygienist and just to comment, none of the asst interviews are paid to my knowledge. The dds will tell you that you are not a provider and therefore not paid. If by some chance you do get paid, that's a sign you are in a decent office!

58 months ago

Most working interviews are paid . Usually a "temping" salary range.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rvknmb in Burleson, Texas

58 months ago

Teri in Redding, California said: The 18 to 20.00 an hour is more accurate.
Does anyone have the exact law that states working interviews have to be paid?
It would be good to be able to quote it when being asked to do one.
thanks T

HI! contact your local workforce commission (thats the unemploymnet people) or the state labor board. it is illegal to get someone to work for you for free. It shouldn't be hard at all to find it on line. Cut and paste it in a word document. then u can take it to them and hand it to them instead of quoting it. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

58 months ago

It's too funny to read all of this! How naive you are, guys!I have an experience 7 years as a Dental assistant, I've been on a lot of working interviews. The true is that they,dentists, really don't care, what you can and what you can not...You have to just "fit" to certain office, that's it! It depends, who you are...even if you are a genius in everything, it doesn't help, believe me. So, problem in economic now is not a real reason. The real reason is that dentists, most of them, are just cheap and they are scared of to hire "wrong" (in their opinion)people. "Right" people for them are people, who are paid less, patient to dentist's nasty attitude. Have you ever heard about "bullying" on the workplace? What about working interviews for free? No payment? I went thro this too...Good Luck

Shaunastx in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Kathy....that is so true! I have 15 years experience and the rate they want to pay is the same as when I got out of school 15 yrs ago...lol...thats not good at all.

58 months ago

We need Labor Unions!Who else can protect us?We can't afford lawyers.We need a Labor Law, otherwise we can't protect our rights.What I went thru...I would write a book...a good plot for a scary movie! Honestly!

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

58 months ago

labor unions are good and bad. Teachers have unions, and many trades also.
There are many good things, and also very bad things that happen as a result.
Maybe someday...........

58 months ago

If Labor Unions created right, it helps employees, and keeps employers under control, which is very good! Unions control that employers didn't lower wages, raised them every year. They control safety of work, regular paid vacations, benefits, that employees would be treated with respect and much, much more. Do you think dentists can't afford this? Do you know how much they do per year? Regular, not very busy dentist $1.000.000.00/3.000.000.00 per year. Only don't tell me, that they spend a lot of money on equipment, materials and so on. I used to be a Head Assistant and did ordering. Their spending is nothing, compered with what they get, like a profit.

RDA4ever in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

Fawn DA in Modesto, California said: I have a working interview next week and the dr. wants me to come in as much as possible mon-thurs. I am so nervous because they know I just graduated and I am very new, but at the same time I'm scared they will just throw me in there! and say lets go!! haha any advice?? please let me know what to expect on a working interview. and is it a good thing that he wants me there as much as possible?? im thinking it is haha! thanks a lot!

Hun the first thing you need to know is they leagaly cannot ask you to do a working interview. It is not legal. I woulndt work for anyone if they asked for a working interview...they can temporarily hire you for the week, and you get paid for the work you do... but it needs to be in a written contract that you are temp help. If you do this... keep in mind... your interviewing them too. This is a good chance for YOU to decide if this is a place you can be comfortable in working. Turn it around... look at the other side,,, and use this to help YOU.

PG in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

I graduated from DA school in June. It's been two months already and some things are already becoming a bit fuzzy. I have a working interview in two days. I am reading everything, about getting paid for a working interview. Should I call the office back and ask if I am getting paid? Or would that be inappropiate? It's going to be an all day interview, 8-5. On my day off from my current job too :p

Jeannie in Jackson, Mississippi

57 months ago

Its a benefit to you as well as them...if you feel strong enough to do working interview there it must be a good dental office.Look on positive side you will know the 1st day whether you mesh with the Dr as well as the staff.I feel that you need to have a $ amount on what you want them to pay you because his office mgr will most likely ask you @ end of day or sometime while working. Ask lots of questions and be very observant. However I would not call and ask if you will be getting paid...not professional.Do jump in there and be as hands on as possiable.If you observe the entire time like you did when you were in school it will look like your not working and just observing...Good luck!I have been in your shoes and have been a dental asst 17 years and love my job\profession.I started off making $7.35 hr and now I am over $20 hour.I am a chairside asst.

Jeannie

faye01 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

56 months ago

I am currently on externship (dental assisting) what is the going rate in fla? I am at a good site, and the office mgr who is the Dentist main and only DA has taken me under her wing so to speak. She has seen my work, crowns ect.. and is impressed. Later down the road I want to continue my education and get into the lab part of it Thanks..

doneitall4handed in Shingletown, California

55 months ago

I've always been paid for a working interview up until recently. I'm curious about the labor laws. Assisting can be a very stressful job and I've been doing it for over 30 years as an RDA. So much depends on WHO you work for in regards to pay. There is no set pay. The most I've ever made was $18. per hour. Almost all the doctors I've worked for are "cheap" and complain about money. They don't seem to realize all the work that we do behind the scenes while they relax between patients. There seems to be ceiling for wages. Working interviews in a "revolving door" practice for assistants seems like they get away with a lot of "free help" during the year. Minimum wage for a working interview should never happen. If a doctor is interested enough after the initial interview, he should pay for your help. He's getting paid for his day! Only agree to work if you're paid wether you get the job or not. I wish I had said something initially. I ended up getting the job, then left. Hope this helps.

faye1 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

55 months ago

The practice I am currently doing my externship for DA has five dentist working there, and I am mainly working with the head dentist and his DA who also is the office mgr.So far so good, I have been told that they will do everything in their power to keep me there. Apparently they know I have an interest in furthering my career going into the lab part of it one day. So now they are they are giving me crowns/partials etc to work on. My question is what should I be paid if they hire me. The other DA'S do not want to learn the new machine for the porcelian crowns is this a bargaining tool for me? Pls advise, I live in Fla, Pinellas County.

PG in Sacramento, California

55 months ago

I went to my working interview last month. A week later they called me back asking if I could come in again. That's when I realized they thought I was a temp. When I got my check I seen that they paid me minimum wage. I was so mad. We were doing oral surgery the whole day. Dealing with that for eight bucks an hour. If that was the case they should have just hired somebody off the street. Waste of my time.

Lora in Sunnyvale, California

55 months ago

PG in Sacramento, California said: I went to my working interview last month. A week later they called me back asking if I could come in again. That's when I realized they thought I was a temp. When I got my check I seen that they paid me minimum wage. I was so mad. We were doing oral surgery the whole day. Dealing with that for eight bucks an hour. If that was the case they should have just hired somebody off the street. Waste of my time.

It's horrible! If you graduated from DA program you probably have X-ray license and Coronal polishing certificate. I don't know about Sacramento, but in the Bay area I started with $15 an hour right after the college.I guess in Sacramento not less than $12-13 an hour.

I've had working interviews twice so far. Usually an office manager asks how much I charge before an interview. In both cases I was paid not less than $20 an hour. If they didn't ask me about the salary I would talk to them. I think there is nothing wrong if you ask how much they want to pay you. I value my time and skills and don't work for free or for a minimum wage unless it's a volunteering.

beenthere in Loveland, Ohio

55 months ago

New DA in Reseda, California said: am so upset i got a job...and my dentist expects me to know everything. i did internship at a different place and its totally different in this office. today the dentist was so pissed off with small issues that he started yelling at me infront of the patient and when i left the room o get something i heard him saying "fck these girls dont do any work properly"...i kept quite but was so upset.
sometimes i feel am so dumb...when i reached home i started crying :(
why do doctors treat us like this.

At the time I am reading this, your post is 13 months old...I HOPE you are long gone from this place!! I know times are hard and it may be tougher to find a position, but NO job is worth it if you are treated with such disrespect and hostility! If you continue to work for an employer who is constantly demeaning and condescending to you (ESPECIALLY if you have any kind of a tender, compassionate spirit), you will suffer untold personal agony and needless, FALSE poor self-esteem at the hands of someone who is either a control-freak or is probably very unhappy in their job and takes it out on their employees! RUN from this type of place! You can't get away fast enough...don't waste any more time in a job that takes its toll on your soul and spirit this way.

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

55 months ago

beenthere in Loveland, Ohio said: At the time I am reading this, your post is 13 months old...I HOPE you are long gone from this place!! I know times are hard and it may be tougher to find a position, but NO job is worth it if you are treated with such disrespect and hostility! If you continue to work for an employer who is constantly demeaning and condescending to you (ESPECIALLY if you have any kind of a tender, compassionate spirit), you will suffer untold personal agony and needless, FALSE poor self-esteem at the hands of someone who is either a control-freak or is probably very unhappy in their job and takes it out on their employees! RUN from this type of place! You can't get away fast enough...don't waste any more time in a job that takes its toll on your soul and spirit this way.

and furthermore, there is not a patient in the world who will respect this man as a person or a doctor who cannot treat their employee with any ounce of dignity!
Patients notice- oh yes they do!!!!! I have been told by many patients that the doctors attitude is disturbing to them.
It's like when a man treats the waitress poorly while on a date......enough said.

55 months ago

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota said: and furthermore, there is not a patient in the world who will respect this man as a person or a doctor who cannot treat their employee with any ounce of dignity!
Patients notice- oh yes they do!!!!! I have been told by many patients that the doctors attitude is disturbing to them.
It's like when a man treats the waitress poorly while on a date......enough said.

BTW- WOMEN patients notice especially!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55 months ago

Don't underestimate the patient. They aren't comfortable in the dental chair when the doctor treats his assistant(s) badly. Patients usually won't say anything to the doctor, but might say something to the assistant / staff about it. Sometimes patients will leave the practice because of it. How can an assitant show respect towards their boss when they're treated poorly??? It's obvious that their boss has no respect for them. Sometimes the young and least experienced assistants feel like they have no choice but to put up with this treatment. Over time, they can become emotionally affected by it. As soon those "red flags" appear, make plans to move on OR if you're strong and you can approach your boss and put an end to it, good for you. Chances are, you can't change their ways totally, but maybe it'll be an improvement. Sometimes, they only want to hire the "young ones" so that they can "mold them" into what they want. It is a form of "control". YOU need to be in control of your life, and how you work, and who you work for. The boss is stuck there in his or her practice but you can either stay or move on. So, if your boss treats you like dirt, treats the patients like dirt, GET OUT.

55 months ago

Exactly. I knew assistants who tried to "fix" Boss's behavior...they were fired or had to leave the office. That is why assistants who need jobs can't say anything to a dentists...and they do if they don't care anymore...which is sad, because they lose jobs then very fast. Dental assisting is an appreciable job. It hurts physically and mentally. Just think about something else.

55 months ago

I meant assisting is unappreciative job.

55 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: Exactly. I knew assistants who tried to "fix" Boss's behavior...they were fired or had to leave the office. That is why assistants who need jobs can't say anything to a dentists...and they do if they don't care anymore...which is sad, because they lose jobs then very fast. Dental assisting is an appreciable job. It hurts physically and mentally. Just think about something else.

I try to fix him.To no avail.Hard to enjoy dentistry when you have to go thru the dentist to do so.

Christian Hahn in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

A dentist that does not treat his staff well should be called out on it. I am a dentist and I narrate the blog www.highestpaiddentalassistant.com. I hear all kinds of stories and for that reason keep the blog updated weekly. My goal is to help dental assistants learn from "good" dentists about what it takes to get a job that they love. Nobody should have to work for a "bad" dentist. Life is too short for that. If a dentist treats his staff that way then he treats his patients bad as well. Let people know - post comments and reviews on google places and other networking sites. This type of abuse needs to stop.
I wish you good luck and know that there are great dentists out there who would love to have you work for them!

Kathy in Cocoa, Florida

55 months ago

Thank you very much, Doc, for your support.

Carol in Salem, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: I'm a hygienist and just to comment, none of the asst interviews are paid to my knowledge. The dds will tell you that you are not a provider and therefore not paid. If by some chance you do get paid, that's a sign you are in a decent office!

I have been a CDA for over 15 years and I've always been paid for a working interview. I ask up front and have always been paid. I would never do a working interview for no charge.

55 months ago

Carol in Salem, New Hampshire said: I have been a CDA for over 15 years and I've always been paid for a working interview. I ask up front and have always been paid. I would never do a working interview for no charge.

I think assistants should be interviewing these doctors. I would hate to represent a dr who did BAD
work and fillings while cheating people ! I did work for a really bad dentist once. He was horrible, not
sure how he even graduated. I was asked once baited on a working interview to discuss politics and all
sorts of questions that is illagal to ask a person seeking work!

54 months ago

Well, here I am again. Hopefully some of my experiences and suggestions can help someone. Dentistry is a good profession and a needed one regardless of where you live. Where there are people, there are teeth! One should always keep in mind that who you work for, reflects on you too. If you work for a reputable practice, and you need to leave because of family or you're moving, etc. it's easier to get another job in a reputable place. If you find yourself getting jobs in the "not-so-good" places, you aren't doing your homework! Doctors who perform "bad dentistry" are known especially in small towns. Doctors who treat their employees poorly or try other "activities" are also known. Get to know WHO'S WHO before leaving your resumes/info. If you're new in town, talk to neighbors etc. You can also contact the Dental Society in your area. Sometimes, you just don't know what type of environment you'll be getting into until you get the job. All the more reason to have a thorough 2-way interview and work a day or two before accepting the position. Most positions have a 90 day probation period. That's the time period you need to make the "final" choice and that goes for the boss also. If you like it there, you see potential, then stay. If you see the "red flags" including "drama", unfairness, favoritizm, co-workers not doing their jobs, on and on, then you have to make a choice and soon. With dentistry, you need to be comfortable, content, and appreciated to make it. It's not just a "job".

54 months ago

doneitall4handed in Shingletown, California said: Well, here I am again. Hopefully some of my experiences and suggestions can help someone. Dentistry is a good profession and a needed one regardless of where you live. Where there are people, there are teeth! One should always keep in mind that who you work for, reflects on you too. If you work for a reputable practice, and you need to leave because of family or you're moving, etc. it's easier to get another job in a reputable place. If you find yourself getting jobs in the "not-so-good" places, you aren't doing your homework! Doctors who perform "bad dentistry" are known especially in small towns. Doctors who treat their employees poorly or try other "activities" are also known. Get to know WHO'S WHO before leaving your resumes/info. If you're new in town, talk to neighbors etc. You can also contact the Dental Society in your area. Sometimes, you just don't know what type of environment you'll be getting into until you get the job. All the more reason to have a thorough 2-way interview and work a day or two before accepting the position. Most positions have a 90 day probation period. That's the time period you need to make the "final" choice and that goes for the boss also. If you like it there, you see potential, then stay. If you see the "red flags" including "drama", unfairness, favoritizm, co-workers not doing their jobs, on and on, then you have to make a choice and soon. With dentistry, you need to be comfortable, content, and appreciated to make it. It's not just a "job".

I like that- "drama" and "activities" ...ie/ sex?

Sindy in Indianapolis, Indiana

54 months ago

x-shopping-pro in Fishers, Indiana said: I just finished my school also (Feb.), I've had a few interviews but no offers. Most of them are wanting experience or a younger person I'm 52. I am discouraged as well. I spent a lot of money to go to school. I have to work to pay bills so I'm looking at any type of job. I hate to think that I wasted all that money too. It has to be paid back if I'm in dentistry or something different. You are not alone!

Contact Indydentist.net, that's how I got my first job after school. They'll send your resume out to different offices hiring or you can Temp through them. I started out as an x-ray tech, but learned the DA parts as I worked and after 6mo I became Expanded... Good Luck! p.s. do not EVER put your age on your resume. They have no right to ask you any personal questions and have no right to NOT hire you for your age. PERIOD!

New CDA with Attitude in Belleville, Illinois

54 months ago

I've been out of DA school for three months and haven't gotten one offer. I keep getting the" you have a great personality but not enough experience". I'm starting to get discouraged, I busted my tail for 15mths, president's list, missed only one day. I'm upset because how do these doctors expect you to learn without giving you a chance? To master anything in life takes practice. My family acts if I'm not suppose to be upset because there are people in the world with Master degrees and don't have jobs. Okay I count my blessings but aren't I allowed a moment of bittersweet?

54 months ago

The economy has affected dentistry! The routine dentistry is still taking place but the ellectives such as crown and bridge, implants, veneers, bleaching, are put on the back burner for most folks. A posterior extraction is done more often now instead of a root canal, build-up and crown since it's cheaper. A 3-unit bridge might be on the waiting list too, since that's going to cost a lot later. I've noticed that most people are only doing the worst first and only what's affordable. Because of the decrease in production for most practices, many offices are cutting back on staff and not interested in new assistants, etc. It doesn't seem to make much difference right now if you're 25 or 55 years old! If there is a job opening, there are a lot of applicants to choose from. I'm finding that doctors are taking their sweet time going over resumes and picking who they really want. Sometimes, it feels like we're either "under qualified" or "over qualified". I've worked my entire adult life and never had a problem finding a position until now. There's so much competition. I can't turn back the hands of time, but I can still work and do the job well. I'm just waiting to be given another opportunity. I remember that I had to convince my first employer (1st FT job) that I needed the "chance" to get started and questioned would I ever get a job in dentistry if no office would hire me. He must have had faith in me and saw my eagerness and took me in. I did prove to him that I could do it! I worked for him for 8+ years. He led the way for me and I'll always be grateful. Sometimes, it takes that type of person in someone's life. I'm looking for someone like him again...

54 months ago

Alright, all these assistants talking about weeks of "working interviews" ...what is the point in that???
Anymore that one or two days I just dont understand. Most of the working interviews I've had have been nightmares. Mean , rude staff, no pay or little pay, crazy methods, demanding and wanting you to jump thru hoops . Forget that!!

Trina86 in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

I had a working interview for two hours last week. It was my mistake that I didn't asked before if they will pay me for the hours that I worked... I guess, I assumed because it was in Beverly Hills, CA! and it was a celebrity dentist?
anyways, it was 19 miles away from my house and I had to pay for the expensive parking... unfortunately, I didn't get the job because I guess the Dentist like an employee who is a perfectionist... I called the office to see if i can get paid for the hours that I work there and they wouldn't...

it's automatically, that this dentist had violated the law for doing such a thing... is there any chance that I can report him?

doneitall4handed in Palo Cedro, California

52 months ago

It's a gamble! In my opinion, don't be shy to ask up front and if they say, NO, then make a choice right then. Sometimes money isn't the answer and you could end up with the job. If it's an office you'd love to work in, then the gamble might be worth it.
If they hand you a time card that morning, you know you'll be paid. It sure helps to have a paper trail to be compensated since it's proof you worked and were there! Also, it's a two way street! They might like you and want to hire you, but you might not feel the same. Fours hours for a working interview should be the minimum...

Bliss in Lancaster, Ohio

52 months ago

Aren't you supposed to get paid for working interviews? I have heard different answers. Thanks

Teri in Redding, California

52 months ago

after I worked 4 hours for a perio office I knew that wasn't a good fit for me but the end result I received a $10.00 Star Bucks gift card
DEFINITELY make arrangements for compensation ahead of time.
I am an RDA and the rate in Redding is around 17.00 to 20.00 an hour

52 months ago

At this point, after a few months with no luck, I just want an office to call me and set up an interview... This is very discouraging! I'm very qualified and when I don't even get a call, a "chance" it doesn't seem very fair. I'm sure they must have a "stack" of resumes and cover letters to chose from. Narrowing it down is obvious. What "stands out" the most is what I want to know! There's only so much information one can disclose.

52 months ago

Ya, it's me again. What does it take to be noticed??? I'm sure many of you gals are asking the same question lately. There's only so much information you can disclose on your resumes and cover letters. You don't want to come across looking desperate even if you are. You could look great on paper, so why aren't you getting the phone call for a regular interview??? I'm in the same situation. Very qualified, available and eager to work. The saying, "it's not what you know, but WHO you know" is starting to become a reality. I thought knowledge and experience meant something!!! Oh, the age thing, well that means something, too. They DO discriminate against older assistants like me. Most offices seem to have these cute young assistants running around. They also hire their "friends" and "relatives" and family members of excisting employees. My advice is: DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB IF YOU'RE OVER 40!!! Hang in there because it's hard to find another one. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm being very honest....The economy is in a slump and it's affecting everyone in some way. Also, like I've written before, the dental offices have many applicants to chose from and they can take their sweet time making their choices. Good luck to you and to me, we need it.

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

52 months ago

I have always gotten many calls when my resume is received . My resume is organized from most current to oldest offices. I say a brief description abt each office, duties etc and a date when I worked there.
My older offices I only list under "Early experience" I do not give dates. This is because I feel it gives away my age. I am also vague when I list "education" again........my age.
My resume fits on 1 pg. Very important I feel. And a touch of color too.
I talk about my other interests /hobbies even though some may feel irrelevent to dentistry. Many times this is what is mentioned as "eye catching" to office du jour.

Okay one more thing..You KNOW they will Google you!! What comes up when you are Googled??? An attractive picture? A fb page ? A newspaper article with your volunteer work?
I once watched my employer hang the phone up after a phone interview and 'googe' that person. Tacky? Yes. But he did it!!!

52 months ago

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin said: You KNOW they will Google you!!

Ha-hah... I Google them ( my potential employer) too!

One time I saw a job posting on craigslist and sent my resume to them. I didn't know what office it was. A week later the office manager called me and left a voice message. First, I Googled them. It was a smart thing to do. I found one girl's story. She did a working interview at that office. They agreed on $8 an hour. Gosh, that was below any standart range! They didn't pay her. She complained to the Department of Labor. I even didn't call them back. I didn't want to waste my time.

51 months ago

OK, here's another topic that I'm sure affects a lot of us. We're looking for work, checking different sites, checking the paper, checking Cregg's list, applying on the spot when an opportunity pops up. Updating our resumes, buying nice paper, envelopes and ink. Writing and printing out the cover letters to go along with our resumes. Mailing, faxing, e-mailing and or going to offices and handing them in. We wait, and wait, and wait some more. Follow up calls just to see if ours was received...another call a week later... WHY AREN'T THESE OFFICES RESPONDING? Can't they contact the applicants who weren't chosen out of courtesy? So much of our personal information is out there!!! I'm so tempted to call them up (I keep a list) and if they're not interested, to please SHRED my information! I've personally handed over many resumes hoping they'd keep it on file for awhile even when no job was available at the time. On a couple of occassions, I've noticed an add for an assistant. Don't they look at the resumes they already have before placing some sort of add? Doesn't seem like it. Hopefully, some of you will agree with me. Something to think about...

51 months ago

doneitall4handed in Shingletown, California said: OK, here's another topic that I'm sure affects a lot of us. We're looking for work, checking different sites, checking the paper, checking Cregg's list, applying on the spot when an opportunity pops up. Updating our resumes, buying nice paper, envelopes and ink. Writing and printing out the cover letters to go along with our resumes. Mailing, faxing, e-mailing and or going to offices and handing them in. We wait, and wait, and wait some more. Follow up calls just to see if ours was received...another call a week later... WHY AREN'T THESE OFFICES RESPONDING? Can't they contact the applicants who weren't chosen out of courtesy? So much of our personal information is out there!!! I'm so tempted to call them up (I keep a list) and if they're not interested, to please SHRED my information! I've personally handed over many resumes hoping they'd keep it on file for awhile even when no job was available at the time. On a couple of occassions, I've noticed an add for an assistant. Don't they look at the resumes they already have before placing some sort of add? Doesn't seem like it. Hopefully, some of you will agree with me. Something to think about...

Some good things you bring up here. There was an interview I had that went very badly. The woman who interviewed me was just short of certifiable and we never finished the interview. Actually it barely got started when I left. I felt like asking for my application/resume back so it could be destroyed. Seriously!!

I have also noticed that some offices re-publish their want ads. Even a couple weeks after I know they have received my application. I assume they are looking for something specific.
Maybe someone "newer" in the field ie; "cheaper" or perhaps spanish speaking , and assume by my english name that I do not. Who knows what they are thinking!!
Most of the time I get called.

51 months ago

doneitall4handed in Shingletown, California said: OK, here's another topic that I'm sure affects a lot of us. We're looking for work, checking different sites, checking the paper, checking Cregg's list, applying on the spot when an opportunity pops up. Updating our resumes, buying nice paper, envelopes and ink. Writing and printing out the cover letters to go along with our resumes. Mailing, faxing, e-mailing and or going to offices and handing them in. We wait, and wait, and wait some more. Follow up calls just to see if ours was received...another call a week later... WHY AREN'T THESE OFFICES RESPONDING? Can't they contact the applicants who weren't chosen out of courtesy? So much of our personal information is out there!!! I'm so tempted to call them up (I keep a list) and if they're not interested, to please SHRED my information! I've personally handed over many resumes hoping they'd keep it on file for awhile even when no job was available at the time. On a couple of occassions, I've noticed an add for an assistant. Don't they look at the resumes they already have before placing some sort of add? Doesn't seem like it. Hopefully, some of you will agree with me. Something to think about...

I used to work with a dentist who was so cheap. When he needed a person to cover up the front or back office for a day or two weeks somebody's vacation, he posted an ad on craigslist. Then he chose one resume, invited a person for an interview. During the interview he said "Can we do a working interview? Can you work with us for the rest of the day?". Usually people agreeded. They didn't know that nobody was going to hire them. All what he wanted from them to work 1 day. After girls left in the end of the day he never called them back.
The whole idea was he wanted to save money. That is why he took those girls not through a temporary agency, but craigslist. He paid them very little.

51 months ago

Continued...

When he was looking for a new worker, he posted an ad on craigslist. Then he chose only one resume, invited a girl for an interview. During the interview he offered probation period. After 2 days-1 week they let a person go, because nobody was good enough for them. Then again he posted an ad....(see above).
So, I saw his job postings every week.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.