? about working interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 183 of 183)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire

66 months ago

I graduated from a 10 week course back in Jan of 2010. and I still have yet to find a job. I have been on a few interviews and had one that was promising but then I was rejected.

I love the dentistry field and I want to be able to do the job I learned to do.

Is there any advice anyone has that would help me land a job because its making me depressed not being able to work in the field I want to work in.

Most offices want x-ray certified and experience neither of which I have. So everytime I apply somewhere I dont even really get my hopes up anymore due to the fact that I know I wont be what they want.

How do they expect us to get experience unless we actually have the opportunity to work.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

RDA in San Antonio, Texas

66 months ago

I am in the process of looking for a job myself. I've already done two working interviews. I just finished one today the office is huge and super busy almost overwhelming if you ask me. And it's in a pretty upscale area. They have four DRs and a huge staff. I have 3years as a RDA in pediatrics. By my understanding there are bonus and dental insurance after a year of employment. What does a dental assistant usually get paid here in San Antonio?

Reply - Report abuse

doneitall4handed in Palo Cedro, California

66 months ago

So far this temporary position is GREAT!!! The Dr. is very nice (just what I've been looking for) and his staff is very positive, helpful and experienced. They praise my work and appreciate my efforts and work ethic. Even though it's a temp position, I'm freshening up my skills and learning new ones. My commute is 100 miles per day but because the work environment is so good, it's worth the drive! I could see myself there long term if a position was offered to me. I will benefit from this experience somehow. My days are long, I can work 8 - 9 hours a day and drive for 2 hrs. The schedule is very busy and productive. I was tired after my first week! Monday will be my third week. I don't know how much longer they'll need me, but I'll be available for them. Who knows, they could need me again someday!

Reply - Report abuse

20+Years RDA in Owosso, Michigan

65 months ago

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire said: I graduated from a 10 week course back in Jan of 2010. and I still have yet to find a job. I have been on a few interviews and had one that was promising but then I was rejected.

I love the dentistry field and I want to be able to do the job I learned to do.

Is there any advice anyone has that would help me land a job because its making me depressed not being able to work in the field I want to work in.

Most offices want x-ray certified and experience neither of which I have. So everytime I apply somewhere I dont even really get my hopes up anymore due to the fact that I know I wont be what they want.

How do they expect us to get experience unless we actually have the opportunity to work.

It is not hard to get your Radiology certificate.Some Dentists will help you with ordering it through a college and you can even take it yourself. I would check some different programs. It does not cost much and it will be worth the time. Good luck and times are tough so it has nothing to do with you or your experience.

Reply - Report abuse

20+yearsRDA in Owosso, Michigan

65 months ago

DA in Avon Lake, Ohio said: I recently went back into DA field after many years. I initially had the dates of my employment as well as the years I graduated from college. I felt like it was related to age, why I wasn't getting calls. So now I have taken the dates off and under my qualifications paragraph I said "I am a DA with over 10 years experience," etc. I am getting a lot of calls and interviews. You need to get your foot in the door and then sell yourself. It's awful to think it's because of age but I know it's a fact.

That is very true but they do want experience they just can't pay you as much as your worth.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

minouchaaa in Batna, Algeria

59 months ago

what should i say and what should i not? what must i wear?...etc

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

minouchaaa in Batna, Algeria

59 months ago

you do not answer my question.what should i wear? and what should i say?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mary zim in eaton, Ohio

59 months ago

A working interview is where these tight wad dentist can get free help. I can see going in to take one xray, or take one impression, or see how you are at answering the phone, but all day, get real. Jobs are tight now days, so these dentist, put a ad in the paper, or post a job on the internet... then they get all these applicants, then use them. A working interview is a lot of bull. I believe its a new trend, that dentist, in particular are using to their full advantage.

Reply - Report abuse

mary zim in eaton, Ohio

59 months ago

20+Years RDA in Owosso, Michigan said: It is not hard to get your Radiology certificate.Some Dentists will help you with ordering it through a college and you can even take it yourself. I would check some different programs. It does not cost much and it will be worth the time. Good luck and times are tough so it has nothing to do with you or your experience.

I once worked in the dental field, and if you really want to work in the field, stay away from assisting, go to the dental labs, front desk, or become a hygenists. Dentist are cheap, and hard to work with. Many of my dental friends have opted out of the business, because of these reasons.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Decatur, Alabama

57 months ago

I"m an orthodontic assistant in Alabama. I have only NOT been paid for a working interview once and I was fresh out of school and didn't know any better. You should always get paid for a working interview even if it's just minimum wage. My first General assisting job was terrible and I only got paid 9.50 per hour, then I went to work for an orthodontist for a year and a half thinking that if I specialized I would be paid more. I only made $10 per hour there and I left to take another general assisting position for $12 per hour. I have a working interview today for an orthodontist office and now that I have exoerience I feel no shame in asking for $14/15 per hour. You have to ask for what you want! they will always offer you the lowest salary they pay if you do not!!

p.s. I'm certified, but to be honest that isn't really a big deal (in the south anyway) it's all about experience!

Reply - Report abuse

doneitall4handed in Palo Cedro, California

57 months ago

Good luck to those looking for work. I finally found a FT position after a very long search. Don't give up! If it's what you love to do, it'll show and a positive attitude always pays off. I had to settle for a little less per hour but that's ok, at least I have a FT job and I'm experienced and adaptable. Money isn't everything. If I wanted to make more money, I would have pursued more schooling to become a hygienist years ago. Hang in there and get your foot in the door! Also, if you're trying to return to dentistry after many years, try taking a 9-12 month course to get updated. It's evolved a lot and the practices that pay the best have all the high tech equipment etc. FYI.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sommern in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

I went on a working interview yesterday and it was terrible. The dentist who I had been talking to over the phone wasn't even working in the office. I assumed I'd be assisting with him. When I got there, they showed me nothing! I had no idea what I was doing or where anything was. There was only one other rda and she was always busy with patients. I started looking in drawers and getting familiar with the office myself since no one was going to show me around. They threw me in to assist with this hornery woman with a heavy accent. I had to keep asking her what she wanted because I couldn't understand. She would get more frustrated each time id ask. And of course, this was off Craig's list. Ad said "seeking full time rda". At the end of the long day, I told them I'm going to continue looking for a job and to please not call me for whatever office you expect me to work in. I have 3 years experience, know how to bill insurance and everything up front also. I felt like I was taken advantage of. No plans were made to pay me, but I know who to call if they refuse. Their reviews on yelp were terrible! 26 reviews and only 5 had 3 or more stars. The rest were 1 star! I should've known! One of the dentists has a fraud case against him currently. This place is a joke. Luckily on my way to finding their office, I stopped in another office asking for directions and the very nice receptionist told me if it doesn't work out with them, her office is hiring. So on my lunch break, I got their email and sent over a copy of my resume! Just waiting to hear from them! :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I forgot to add that my interview was for a different office in a different city! Of course nobody told me that. And I was only covering for their other rda who was on vacation at the time. How do they expect to interview someone in a totally different office with different dentist? Doesn't make sense. It sounded like this place was similar to how western dental runs. No thanks! They have offices all over and I guess they just needed me for that day in that office, but expected me to take a job in a completely different office. The wages in California are about 20-25$ per hour for rda and about 12-16 for a da.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Austin, Texas

55 months ago

Sommern in San Francisco, California said: The wages in California are about 20-25$ per hour for rda and about 12-16 for a da.

Except in San Diego, CA. Most places pay only $15-16 an hour to RDA's with experience. Sometimes I even see ads that offer $12 to RDA's. Finding a job that would pay $18-20 an hour is not easy. Only a few offices pay $20+ an hour.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I'm just basing the wages off what I've heard around here. I should have specified the area. I have no idea what southern ca rda's make. I have a friend who works in pleasant hill and she started at 24 an hour, rda. At my last office in Antioch, I started at 10 (which was really low) and made up to 14 an hour. Which was still low because I was working front office and back. I think getting a 3 dollar raise over 3 years is good, but I started at a really low wage. I would've thought San Diego rda's made more than that : /

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Austin, Texas

55 months ago

I used to live in the Bay area. I started at $18 as an RDA right after college. My last job in the Bay area paid me $21 an hour. Also I used to work in San Diego, CA. The dentist paid me $21 an hour, but kept saying how expensive I was.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

socalmel in Bakersfield, California

55 months ago

w

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: Disclaimer

How much money does a dental assistant earn in Bakersfield California?
In: Salary and Pay Rates

Answer

$38.01 an hour ( I did a Google ? & this is what was posted )

Again no RDA to work less than $20.00 an hour ( thats w/limited exp.,)
and no DA to work less than $18.00 an hour in CA.
NO FREE RIDES FOR DENTIST _ ALL WORKING INTERVIEWS ONE DAY ONLY & MUST BE PAID

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

socalmel in Bakersfield, California

55 months ago

They are wrong!!! I live in bakersfield, hygienists don''t even make $38. Rda $14-21 an hour.

Reply - Report abuse

kennabratcher in Fort Myers, Florida

55 months ago

Cry. I keep my composure and I make a joke smile and kiss butt pretty much. They started another new assist with me, and she was sweet at first, but watch out! Mean came out pretty fast, and. Is I feel her pushing to be lead. I'm sorry, but I'm a leader- I can't go from my last position to being bossed around by another assist. No ma'am. They constantly praise me, but in the same breath, he constantly has something negative to say about me: don't move anything in the office, don't worry about that, that's so in SOS job, don't organize your cabinets, their fine the way they are, don't linger when u bring the pt up, don't explain the tx plan, u didn't set up this room right, u need to be more prepared, think about what your doing, bla bla bla. That's fine and all- I know his office is different than where I came from, I get it, I may be doing this wrong in his practice. But he said these things in front of pts. I've had 3 pts feeling the need to tell me how to do my job! How can I have confidence in my work when my pts don't even think I know my job. What are they thinking when I'm packing cord? "this girl better not hurt me, I know she's new and knows nothing." my pts need to trust me when I talk to them, or do work in their mouth. They knew when thy brought me on what I want out of my job. They know the responsibilities that I NEED in order for y interest to stay sparked. I need a lot on my plate to keep my mind busy, I gt bored. And they told me I would have that. Now they don't want me to do anything but be a glorified suction holder. I have no respect, and I don't think I will get it. My confidence is shot, and I feel like crap I want my old job back- but I have a 1 year old baby girl, and I enjoy my extra time with her, and I'm in the process of buying a house, and the extra income helps a lot. Did I mention my fiancé is bipolar and out of work? Im pretty much a single mom with 2 kids. I live him dearly, but my old job was not cuttin it to support us: this on

Reply - Report abuse

doneitall4handed in Alturas, California

54 months ago

Kenna in Florida

If you worked in California as a DA or RDA, you would NOT be packing cord!!! Also, anytime you go to another office, you must do things their way. Try to be adaptable and never go in and try to change things....that's never acceptible. If you're there for a long time, some changes can take place...slowly if it's beneficial. Just go with the flow, be positive and you'll get more respect from your co-workers and the dentist. If you have personal issues, leave them at home and that's always best!

Reply - Report abuse

ncm

54 months ago

I have a working interview tomorrow at an orthodontic office the only thing that worries me are the type of brackets they use I have four years exp but with a different type of brackets should I be nervous because im very nervous and don't know what to expect

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sammy in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

After my first job experience I will have a very hard time trusting the dentists again.Anything can get you fired, you are not allowed to have an opinion or question anything. She was really nice to me on the working interviews because she wanted me there. As soon as I gave up my other job and started working for her, she showed her true colors. So be very careful.

Reply - Report abuse

Celticmetis

51 months ago

Answer

You are incorrect dental hygenists earn that. Furthermore your comments are rude. Each area of the country is different. Starting wages are low RDA wages differ based on experience, the type of practise(some dentists have busier offices and earn more). Not alll dentists are millionares as you have blogged,and even tho they produce alot ,they are paying the highest supplies of most other health care providers. Which means they can produce a million and take home 150 thousand , not enough to buy the 100 dollar bottle of wine that you commented on. Your comments and misinformation seems to prove you are not even a DA. Quit badmouthing the dental field or leave it if you really are in it because you seem to have no respect for DA or dentists and probably do not care about patietnts.

Reply - Report abuse

DA in California in California

42 months ago

I just had a working interview and it was awful! Can anyone please tell me their experience? Did they just throw you in? Were the other assistants nice to you? How did you handle working with new materials , cements etc.? Did they expect you to know how to do things their way on the first day?? Did they show you around at least?

Reply - Report abuse

DA in California in California

42 months ago

I understand things are different in every office but shouldn't they still show you how things are some in their office ? What should I expect during the working interview ?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lora in San Diego, California

42 months ago

DA in California in California said: I just had a working interview and it was awful! Can anyone please tell me their experience? Did they just throw you in? Were the other assistants nice to you? How did you handle working with new materials , cements etc.? Did they expect you to know how to do things their way on the first day?? Did they show you around at least?

I've had two working interviews. There were no Dental Assistants in both places. I can't remember having any difficulties. Of course, they don't expect you to know everything because every dentist works in his/her own way. Usually they look if you can work with a dentist and other dental assistants, at your personality, and how fast you can learn. Some places are interested in experience. If you say that you have experience, you should know, at least, basic dental procedures, sterilization, how to take good X-rays, etc.
Don't forget to ask if they're going to pay for the working interview and never work for free.

Reply - Report abuse

BM1 in San Diego, California

38 months ago

The best pay data is available by calling temp agencies in your local area for market rate. Temp RDAs are available in San Diego with 1 hour notice, on any day, at $16/hour or less at least during the last 10 years. Rates that we pay our RDAs ranges between $15 to $21, RDA-EFs are a few dollar higher.

Answer

Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Purpose of the WI is to see whether a candidate is a good fit for a job position. We conduct our WIs with little training to see how a candidate will react and perform with limited information. This is a good test of one's real job aptitude.

DA in California in California said: I just had a working interview and it was awful! Can anyone please tell me their experience? Did they just throw you in? Were the other assistants nice to you? How did you handle working with new materials , cements etc.? Did they expect you to know how to do things their way on the first day?? Did they show you around at least?

Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

The pay requirement in CA for WI is the min. wage.

socalmel in Bakersfield, California said: w

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Garden Grove, California

38 months ago

BM1 in San Diego, California said: Temp RDAs are available in San Diego with 1 hour notice, on any day, at $16/hour or less at least during the last 10 years.

I was temping in San Diego for a few years. My pay rate was $20 an hour. $16 an hour sounds way too low. Maybe, for DAs but not for RDAs.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Garden Grove, California

38 months ago

BM1 in San Diego, California said: The pay requirement in CA for WI is the min. wage.

Usually they pay at the hiring market rate or a little more for working interviews. Never heard of someone who would do a working interview for the minimum wage.

Reply - Report abuse

suzyque in Sudbury, Massachusetts

21 months ago

sylvia hargrove in Columbus, Ohio said: Don't give up, if dental assisting is really what you want to do. I was working for the same dentist for 12 years in Maryland. I had to move to columbus, Ohio for personal reasons. I only worked for one dentist sense I've been a dental assistant . And Boy, was I in for a rude awakening. I was not as good as I thought I was. I worked for three dental offices for a breef period of time in Columbus and I found that every office does things different. I found that some dentists are shear jerks and can be very rude and some have no patients to teach or train. No matter where you go,you hve to be trained all over again. I don't go for that 2 day work interview and trail stuff. Dentist know right off the bat if they want you or not. If you have to take a job out side your field, do so until you find a dental office that will appriciate your skills. It just wasn't meant to be. Good luck!

Ever heard of spell check? Hopefully your resume has proper spelling and punctuation...this is atrocious! Even if you are a dental assistant, you still have to know how to spell as writing reports, etc is always involved. Geez!!!

Reply - Report abuse

13jenwalker in Frankfort, Indiana

6 months ago

Christian Hahn in Louisville, Kentucky said: A dentist that does not treat his staff well should be called out on it. I am a dentist and I narrate the blog www.highestpaiddentalassistant.com . I hear all kinds of stories and for that reason keep the blog updated weekly. My goal is to help dental assistants learn from "good" dentists about what it takes to get a job that they love. Nobody should have to work for a "bad" dentist. Life is too short for that. If a dentist treats his staff that way then he treats his patients bad as well. Let people know - post comments and reviews on google places and other networking sites. This type of abuse needs to stop.
I wish you good luck and know that there are great dentists out there who would love to have you work for them!

In December of 2010 I had recently graduated from dental assisting school and was hired by the first office that interviewed me. The dentist only had one assistanta t the time and she would be on maturity leave within 4 months. I did the best I could do but it was never good enough. I worked there for over three years and cried all the way home most days. There were even several times that I couldn't control myself and cried in the bathroom until I could pull myself together and get back to work. The girls I worked with were so amazing and we're the only thing that kept me going. The "boss hole" was the meanest most cruel "human" that I have ever met. Not only did he scream, rant, throw hits,belittle,and humiliate me and everyone else about our job but attacked us personally. He would ask why we have gained so much weight, mimic the way we walk, talk about us behind our back but so we could hear...it was the worst experience of my life. One day two years ago I had enough and walked out never looking back. This experience has caused me so much insecurities and fear that it is hard to explain. I have recently decided to try again and hopefully have found the right office for me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.