am i really going to hate denal assisting?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

sara lynn in South Bend, Indiana

51 months ago

hi, im 19 years and i was just accepted into a very good and accredited dental assisting program, indiana university-purdue university-fort wayne, which also offers ortho assisting classes that i am very interested in. BUT i am worried that i too am going to hate my job like all these other assitants on these forums say. and im worried the pay will be horrible, i kind of want to forget the program and just go for hygiene BUT i still need to take chem, bio, AND micro bio and get good grades in them to even get into the hygiene progam, plus i am horrible in math and science, im not sure if i can even pass the classes. if i fail them i will have wasted a year of my life and deynied a great, resepected dental assisting school. who knows what i will do then!! is it to big of a risk? im sure many assistants love their careers right?! HELP!!! i only have 4 days untill i must give the IPFW assisting program my awnser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Willimantic, Connecticut

50 months ago

sara lynn in South Bend, Indiana said: hi, im 19 years and i was just accepted into a very good and accredited dental assisting program, indiana university-purdue university-fort wayne, which also offers ortho assisting classes that i am very interested in. BUT i am worried that i too am going to hate my job like all these other assitants on these forums say. and im worried the pay will be horrible, i kind of want to forget the program and just go for hygiene BUT i still need to take chem, bio, AND micro bio and get good grades in them to even get into the hygiene progam, plus i am horrible in math and science, im not sure if i can even pass the classes. if i fail them i will have wasted a year of my life and deynied a great, resepected dental assisting school. who knows what i will do then!! is it to big of a risk? im sure many assistants love their careers right?! HELP!!! i only have 4 days untill i must give the IPFW assisting program my awnser.

Hi,
just a quick response to your question about dental assisting and if it is a good field to get into.

I have been a dental assistant for 28 years. I live in Connecticut and have had a pretty good experience in the field. Expanded duties are the key. I am in charge of alot of duties in the office. It is not just assisting. Inventory, ordering of suplies, ortho, crown and bridge imressions and fabricating of temporary crowns/bridges, pouring of impressions, maintenance of instruments, and equipment and the list goes on. The most rewarding part of the job is helping people. People are great and if you can make one person feel better every day, or feel relaxed if they are coming into the office very nervous or scared, then that person will remember you and say "Sara-Lynn made my dental experience better and I will never forget her for that" then you've done your job well. If you think that working with people and having a positive impact on their lives through what you do, then go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

1984 in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

I'm currently a dental assisting student going to CODA-accredited school. I've been going to school since April. If you have a serious interest in improving the lives of other people through their oral health care and aren't just looking for a job ( because dental assisting is a career) then go for it. I had read the posts on this forum long before I entered dental assisting school, you have to take what you read here with a grain of salt. A lot of people on this forum came into dental assisting expecting things to be handed to them and not have to work hard. Others simply didn't research what they were getting themselves into. That's not to say there aren't valid points made about dental assisting as a career ( both positive and negative), but the really good critiques about dental assisting tend to be few and far between.

If you have spent the time to research the pros and cons of dental assisting you should know whether or not dental assisting is for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1984 in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

Pardon me, my last sentence should read as: If you have spent the time to research the pros and cons of dental assisting you should know whether or not dental assisting is for you.

Good luck with your decision!

sara lynn in South Bend, Indiana

50 months ago

thats true.. but i just want to hear from an assistant that loves their job and has great things to say about it! its scary that a positive comment about the profession is so hard to find! ive been searching all over the internet for one, and what people are saying on here just makes college students want to run as far away from the dental field as possible.. once again, assistants- is it REALLY THAT BAD?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1984 in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

Have you actually shadowed at a dental office or asked dental assistants who are not posting online? I did. You should too. I have a friend who is a working dental assisting in Chicago and she loves it. That's because she's passionate about what she does and is constantly bettering herself to ensure she stays a valuable assistant. Dentists respect her because of this. Her love for what she does got me interested in this field in the beginning. She currently works for a general dentist office but has also work as an oral surgeon assistant and in orthodontics.

If you're seeking validation only on the internet you probably won't find it.

By the way, I don't know if we can share links, but this site might be valuable to you. dentalpracticemanagement.typepad.com/

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

50 months ago

I L O V E dentistry- always have . It is true , if you are smart you are respected
and valued. Hence , making your work-life very pleasant.
Find a great office and you'll love it too!

l.reams in Streamwood, Illinois

50 months ago

I believe it all has to do with the dentist you work for.

LindaZ in Hendersonville, North Carolina

44 months ago

sara lynn in South Bend, Indiana said: hi, im 19 years and i was just accepted into a very good and accredited dental assisting program, indiana university-purdue university-fort wayne, which also offers ortho assisting classes that i am very interested in. BUT i am worried that i too am going to hate my job like all these other assitants on these forums say. and im worried the pay will be horrible, i kind of want to forget the program and just go for hygiene BUT i still need to take chem, bio, AND micro bio and get good grades in them to even get into the hygiene progam, plus i am horrible in math and science, im not sure if i can even pass the classes. if i fail them i will have wasted a year of my life and deynied a great, resepected dental assisting school. who knows what i will do then!! is it to big of a risk? im sure many assistants love their careers right?! HELP!!! i only have 4 days untill i must give the IPFW assisting program my awnser.

Hi, I write the blog that someone linked to in one of the responses. I've been in assisting since 1977. I now manage the practice I work in while also serving as the only assistant. I love assisting, but I have been in some situations that were great and some that were horrible. My advice, if you find yourself in a bad situation that you can't change, find another practice to work in. Every industry and profession has it's good side and bad side, everyone also has great places to work and miserable places to work. Go in with a great attitude, great work ethic and desire to learn and serve and you can have a rewarding career. It takes a longer time to build your salary in assisting than in hygiene, but it's an interesting career. I also think that trained assistants with great attitudes are more in demand than ever so that should improve the salary for the position over time. I think your enjoyment of the profession will depend on your reasons for going in to it and on your attitude.
Linda

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

44 months ago

LindaZ in Hendersonville, North Carolina said: Hi, I write the blog that someone linked to in one of the responses. I've been in assisting since 1977. I now manage the practice I work in while also serving as the only assistant. I love assisting, but I have been in some situations that were great and some that were horrible. My advice, if you find yourself in a bad situation that you can't change, find another practice to work in. Every industry and profession has it's good side and bad side, everyone also has great places to work and miserable places to work. Go in with a great attitude, great work ethic and desire to learn and serve and you can have a rewarding career. It takes a longer time to build your salary in assisting than in hygiene, but it's an interesting career. I also think that trained assistants with great attitudes are more in demand than ever so that should improve the salary for the position over time. I think your enjoyment of the profession will depend on your reasons for going in to it and on your attitude.
Linda

I've experienced the same as you. Great, good , bad ...HORRIBLE.
Even if you find a good doc, staff changes can bring a "Assista-zilla" or "Hygiene-hit ler"
ultimately ruining the whole experience. Really if you find a nice doc nothing stays the same forever. I've really come to the point where I am tired of docs[men]with bad attitudes and lack of patience and sensibilities also the sexual harrassment. Women who are MEAN, controlling, overbearing and gossipy. . Uhhhhh... I am too old for this! Love dentistry , no way to overcome my frustration.
Life is too short for me to work in an atmosphere for **1 DAY** and put up with that again!!

So **THIS** girls, is why you don't see very many (excessively)experienced assistants out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

44 months ago

LindaZ in Hendersonville, North Carolina said: Hi, I write the blog that someone linked to in one of the responses. I've been in assisting since 1977. I now manage the practice I work in while also serving as the only assistant. I love assisting, but I have been in some situations that were great and some that were horrible. My advice, if you find yourself in a bad situation that you can't change, find another practice to work in. Every industry and profession has it's good side and bad side, everyone also has great places to work and miserable places to work. Go in with a great attitude, great work ethic and desire to learn and serve and you can have a rewarding career. It takes a longer time to build your salary in assisting than in hygiene, but it's an interesting career. I also think that trained assistants with great attitudes are more in demand than ever so that should improve the salary for the position over time. I think your enjoyment of the profession will depend on your reasons for going in to it and on your attitude.
Linda

I've experienced the same as you. Great, good , bad ...HORRIBLE.
Even if you find a good doc, staff changes can bring a "Assista-zilla" or "Hygiene-hit ler"
ultimately ruining the whole experience. Really if you find a nice doc nothing stays the same forever. I've really come to the point where I am tired of docs[men]with bad attitudes and lack of patience and sensibilities also the sexual harrassment. Women who are MEAN, controlling, overbearing and gossipy. . Uhhhhh... I am too old for this! Love dentistry , no way to overcome my frustration.
Life is too short for me to work in an atmosphere for **1 DAY** and put up with that again!!

So **THIS** girls, is why you don't see very many (excessively)experienced assistants out there!

Need Advice in Tallahassee, Florida

43 months ago

I have shadowed at a dentist's office, he let me sit in the assistants chair and help with the patients and I LOVED it! Now I am getting ready to apply to a dental assisting program. Thr only thing that bothers me is that I am not very good at math I passed college algebra with a C and in science I barely made it out. I know this is what I wanna do but should I let my academic weaknesses stop me? Someone who has gone through the program please be honest do I need to be profficient in math and science.

Anna in Sun Valley, Nevada

35 months ago

You don't have to be good at math. Just enroll in a CDa program like I did. Find a program that's more on hands on training. But you do have to understand the angulation when you go to place the X-ray film in the patients mouth so that you get the crown, jaw bone and roots on the film.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Cruz-Chilel in Wallingford, Connecticut

32 months ago

I am wondering if Dental Assistant is right for me..I wanted to go to school for LPN but to be honest I think it's going to be a little hard for me because I have 3 kids who need my attention a ton..I went to school for Medical Assistant and now I am stuck paying back the loans and no JOB!! Pissed!!! I would like some help in making my mind up. I want a career that is going to help my family out in the long run and make me happy to go to work... Also if you know of any doctor's offices hiring MAs please let me know..

Elli in Fairfax, Virginia

14 days ago

I was very close to finish the course till I heard bunch of scary things "like during the x-ray the dental assistant is in charge of taking the x-rays and being near the laser eventually can effect on DA hands. A former friend who went for the training told me her instructor lost his thumb due to being near the x-ray laser all the time. Not only that I heard is a doggie dog job & most dentists tend to look down at there assistants. I AM so glad I dropped out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.