discouraged about dental assisting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

kk in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

i went to a fast program school for dental assisting i am doing my externship right now and should be done in a couple of weeks..in school i loved what i was doin i have stayed on the honors list and presidents list the whole time so i didnt think itd be that hard wen i got to do my externship at an actual office but now i feel like i didnt learn enough there is so much i dont kno and not only that i hate the dentist at the office the staff i kinda get along with but the very first day i got there the office manager was calling one of the DAs a retard and telling me not to listen to certain ones bc they dont kno anything and then the dentist never made me feel comfortable and has made me feel very intimidated. the first time i went to help assist him he was swinging his hand around as if telling me to hurry up shaking his head rollig his eyes i just wanted to throw the suction down and cry i have never felt so dumb before he had to know i was scared seeing it was my first time and my hands were shaking horribly i just feel like they are the ones who agreed to take me on im not one of his staff he is not paying me so i shouldnt be treated that way i dread going into that office everyday and wen they ask if i want to assist i say yes but honestly im scared the whole time..that isnt the only problem ive had but i have left there a couple of times wondering if every office is like that stressful and being young going into this right out of highschool im scared that i may not be capable bc i feel so discouraged that ill never learn it all i just cant wait to get into the comfort zone and really want to do this please write back with advice thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inm14 in Tucson, Arizona

57 months ago

kk - do not get so emotional, just try to ignore all the drama around you. For the next a couple of weeks try to get to assist your Dentist as much as possible. This is the only way to get better and confident. It is OK do not like a dentist. Do not pay attention to his stupid ways to express himself. You will be gone in a couple of weeks. Assist as much as you can. Do not be scared, talk to Doc about your concerns. Stay strong......Not every Dentist/Dental Office is the same. It can be difficult to find a nice dental practice/Doc. But if you find one, plus your confidence and more experience - you will love it, believe me. Do not get discourage!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

57 months ago

I did my third internship in an ortho office. It looked like no matter what I did and how I did, nothing was good for the dentist. No. He didn't yell. He just waved his hands "No, no... It's not right. You have to learn... You have to learn... No, no...". At first, I assisted him and I tried hard. I talked to other girls, asked them to show me how to do things etc. Then I realized that it wasn't anything wrong with me. Common, I am not stupid. Dental Assisting is not a rocet science. I didn't like ortho, I didn't like the office. I knew I wouldn't go to ortho. It seemed boring to me. And I already had a job offer from another dental office which I liked a lot. So, in the end I avoided asssisting him pretended I was busy doing other things. I even found him funny with his way of communication. My goal was just to finish my internship.
kk, remember it's not the end of the life. It's just a small part of your life experience. In a couple of weeks you will be done and forget them. Relax...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorrie in Mississauga, Ontario

57 months ago

i went to help assist him he was swinging his hand around as if telling me to hurry up shaking his head rollig his eyes i just wanted to throw the suction down and cry i have never felt so dumb before

My dentist pushes my leg with his foot, hits my wrist when he's unhappy with me. He also doesn't allow any of us - there are 3 assistants in his office - to have a sit even once a day. We often go without any lunch or just have a snack, also standing up...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Lorrie in Mississauga, Ontario said: i went to help assist him he was swinging his hand around as if telling me to hurry up shaking his head rollig his eyes i just wanted to throw the suction down and cry i have never felt so dumb before

My dentist pushes my leg with his foot, hits my wrist when he's unhappy with me. He also doesn't allow any of us - there are 3 assistants in his office - to have a sit even once a day. We often go without any lunch or just have a snack, also standing up...

Look for a new position....This Dr. is abusive and will continue to do what he is doing.....start interviewing, use your personality and Dental knowledge to obtain the position you deserve...it's rough out there but try to focus on the positive....GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

56 months ago

Dentists are a rare breed that is for sure. I have worked with complete jerks as well as wonderfully
kind doc's... family enviroments and volatile ones. At this point in my life - I do NOT need guys with attitude . I do A LOT and they know it so I don't have a problem reminding them of what I do to make their work day a literal "cake walk" . Seeing most of the pt's and allowing them their time to play Solitare on the office computer! Geeez.

I was really thinking I could write quite an interesting book based on the craziness that I call my dental career. The affairs, the mistakes, the humor, the nonsense! (Of course- I'd change the names *WINK)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TC in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

I just finished my externship. I do not want to be a dental assistant. I don't want to be treated like something that is scraped off the bottom of someone's shoe and told that I am basically an idiot every day of my life. I was told that a dental assistant needs to expect some level of disrespect when they work for a dentist. How is that ok? I am going to have to work as a dental assistant because I am paying over $10,000 tuition for this school. My husband is pressuring me to do it so I am going to have to since he is paying for it. No, forget that...I'm the one who is going to have to pay. I am going to have to work in an environment that steals my self esteem and relishes that fact, destroys self confidence and makes you swallow your pride every day of your life. I hate that I have to work in the dental field. Why is it the people that work the hardest are treated so horribly? I am so upset and frustrated.

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

55 months ago

My whole point is.....NOT to quit. Find a doc that is nice. There are good people out there.
You and he/she HAVE to be a great team. If you hate the office-leave, asap.
Find a nice office and you'll love it. You make friends for life.

Like I said in another post , a doc and his asst are a TIGHT TEAM. You have to blend and get along or it will not work. An old boss called it "marriage"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DAexpert in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

55 months ago

umm..yes every one of these comments sooo true!!been doing this 20 yrs(and NO I am not very old!). Started as da in high school.Most DDs are A***holes. You need to find a diff career. Most of them ARE this abusive. I had found my "diamond -in the rough" but he retired 8 yrs ago. and the onesw I deal with now are horrible!! Go into another field. Your young and smart do NOT take this abuse...

dg44 in Charlestown, Indiana

54 months ago

I have been an expanded duties dental Assistant for about a year and a half. I have worked for one year as a reg Da, but wanted to do expanded duties, When I got a job doing the Expanded duties I realized that I wasnt up to par in that area,I changed offices and tried expanded duties there. still not my cup of tea. I was wondering how hard it would be to switch to an oral surgery assistant? I love the surgical side of dentistry and would really love to land a position in a Oral surgery office. Do I need to have any speacial training to do that?

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

54 months ago

I've done Perio. Bloody, lots of suctioning -etc. Probably same as O.S. assisting. Not much fun stuff there unless you like sitting and suctioning all the time. Kinda boring.......

Only maybe fun if you and the doc sit and chit chat the whole time.

roger RDA in Anaheim, California

52 months ago

kk in Louisville, Kentucky said: i went to a fast program school for dental assisting i am doing my externship right now and should be done in a couple of weeks..in school i loved what i was doin i have stayed on the honors list and presidents list the whole time so i didnt think itd be that hard wen i got to do my externship at an actual office but now i feel like i didnt learn enough there is so much i dont kno and not only that i hate the dentist at the office the staff i kinda get along with but the very first day i got there the office manager was calling one of the DAs a retard and telling me not to listen to certain ones bc they dont kno anything and then the dentist never made me feel comfortable and has made me feel very intimidated. the first time i went to help assist him he was swinging his hand around as if telling me to hurry up shaking his head rollig his eyes i just wanted to throw the suction down and cry i have never felt so dumb before he had to know i was scared seeing it was my first time and my hands were shaking horribly i just feel like they are the ones who agreed to take me on im not one of his staff he is not paying me so i shouldnt be treated that way i dread going into that office everyday and wen they ask if i want to assist i say yes but honestly im scared the whole time..that isnt the only problem ive had but i have left there a couple of times wondering if every office is like that stressful and being young going into this right out of highschool im scared that i may not be capable bc i feel so discouraged that ill never learn it all i just cant wait to get into the comfort zone and really want to do this please write back with advice thank you!

Hy, my name is Roger RDA. (15yrs)
well, well, just to let you know not all dentist are intimidating, some dentist are arrogant, some are awsome to work with. but if you really like assisting find a place that you feel comfortable. fyi, if u dont feel apre$iated moove on...

dg44 in Charlestown, Indiana

52 months ago

kk in Louisville, Kentucky said: i went to a fast program school for dental assisting i am doing my externship right now and should be done in a couple of weeks..in school i loved what i was doin i have stayed on the honors list and presidents list the whole time so i didnt think itd be that hard wen i got to do my externship at an actual office but now i feel like i didnt learn enough there is so much i dont kno and not only that i hate the dentist at the office the staff i kinda get along with but the very first day i got there the office manager was calling one of the DAs a retard and telling me not to listen to certain ones bc they dont kno anything and then the dentist never made me feel comfortable and has made me feel very intimidated. the first time i went to help assist him he was swinging his hand around as if telling me to hurry up shaking his head rollig his eyes i just wanted to throw the suction down and cry i have never felt so dumb before he had to know i was scared seeing it was my first time and my hands were shaking horribly i just feel like they are the ones who agreed to take me on im not one of his staff he is not paying me so i shouldnt be treated that way i dread going into that office everyday and wen they ask if i want to assist i say yes but honestly im scared the whole time..that isnt the only problem ive had but i have left there a couple of times wondering if every office is like that stressful and being young going into this right out of highschool im scared that i may not be capable bc i feel so discouraged that ill never learn it all i just cant wait to get into the comfort zone and really want to do this please write back with advice thank you!

It will be that way for a while just don't let them scare you off. Not all offices are like that , but I will tell you Most are! You have to remember you are dealing with an office full of women other than the dentist, And I have been in all kinds. Just be strong and learn.

dental-WONDER in Genoa City, Wisconsin

50 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: My whole point is.....NOT to quit. Find a doc that is nice. There are good people out there.
You and he/she HAVE to be a great team. If you hate the office-leave, asap.
Find a nice office and you'll love it. You make friends for life.

Like I said in another post , a doc and his asst are a TIGHT TEAM. You have to blend and get along or it will not work. An old boss called it "marriage"

A very good point for all to consider!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.