does it really matter where you went to school for RDA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Fawn DA in Modesto, California

78 months ago

hi. i dont know if this will help any, but I went to a Dental Assisting Institute in Modesto, Ca and i know that is far from you, but there are institutes out there. and the tuition was almost 4,000 dollars, but I got approved from sallie mae for a student loan, and i make payments every month for only 85 bucks. pretty good huh? and you dont have to pay it off before you graduate! so i would reccommend going to a dental assisting institute and looking into monhtly payments. hope this helped!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BJ in Bethlehem, Georgia

77 months ago

I did the ROP program in (gasp) 1984-- and it worked well for me-- I still think most of your learning is hands on--

back then and it probably has changed-- you had to work for 18 months before you could become an RDA when you went through the ROP program-- where as I had a friend go through a paid program and did not have to wait--

so if that is the situation-- you may want to think of the cost and if it is worth it to wait-- other than that-- my program was great--

I was still in HS and got HS credit-- and now it is 2008 and I am still enjoying my job mostly-- lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Powder Springs, Georgia

77 months ago

Believe it or not alot of Dentist prefer that you not go to dental assiting courses and prefer that they train u themselves. You are basically their 3rd hand and they want you to be able to anticipate what they are thinking and needing before they tell you. They will have to retrain you once you start working for them, so it is sometimes very frustrating for them. Call around to different offices. Speak with the Dentist directly, leave a message if you have to. I did this 4 years ago and saved a lot of $. I also make a lot more than some others I know that went to a technical school, because I did not have to be retrained.-Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Fullerton, California

76 months ago

I went to ROP and got my RDA lisc. on the 1st try in 2005 for less than $1,000. I've also been connected thru a huge network of doctors thru them and their internships. i've found that it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you do your job well, work hard, and you are confident. Through ROP in orange county you can articulate with cypress college and get 15 units of college credit. i loved it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mayra in Modesto, California

75 months ago

fawn i would really appreciate your help. I read your comment about the dental assisting program in modesto. im thinking about doing it but im scared that i wont be able to get a dental assistant position and end up in debt in the end. does the program really work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Fawn in Merced, California

75 months ago

Mayra, yes the program works. its an 11 week course, saturdays only, hands on...in the afternoons. book work in the mornings. . . umm, I think you're best bet would be to look into Gaylen. A lot of RDA's went there and they got the training they needed. I'm not so sure 11 weeks is enough to be confident to go into an office. I was so scared when I got my first interview because I didnt know as much as they wanted me to. Luckily I found an office that was willing to give me a chance and I've been there for a little over 3 months now and I love it! It just all depends on what you want to do. The 11 week class is almost 4,000 dollars. I'm not sure how much gaylen charges but I know its a better way to go. I realized after working in office for a while that you do really learn all your skills while working. It just takes time. But yeah, its all up to you and what you think is better for your schedule. Was the course worth the 4,000 dollars, NO. :D Would I have paid a little more for a longer, more thorough course, YES. I hope this helps you! feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.
ps
there are lots of dental offices in merced county, but not a lot of people looking for new assistants. but if its what you want to do, do it and keep your head up when looking because something is bound to come up

dentists are cheap! AND JERKS! in Herald, California

73 months ago

WE pay all this is school! and they don't want to "pay" or offer Benifits!!

Us DENTAL ASSISTANTS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!! AND ASK FOR MORE $$

DO NOT TAKE "LOW-PAY"!! OR THEY WILL "REPLACE" YOU LIKE NATS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sabrina in San Diego, California

73 months ago

Hi Lily,
If you search for dental assistant jobs on craigslist.com, you may be able to find dental offices that are willing to train with no dental exp. needed. That's how I started in the dental field 7 yrs ago. I started out as a sterilization tech; cleaning rooms/instruments etc. Basically entry level stuff. They trained me to be an asst. and I have gone on to get my RDA and my extended functions license as well. I have seen many listings for dental offices that will hire with no experience necessary. It's worth a try and you will be getting paid to learn instead of vice versa. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia

73 months ago

hi lily- in Sacramento, California said: That's fine- if you have NO experience at all. BUT if you do!
do not take "low-pay" from dentists- they "use" assistants- to make them "rich"- meanwhile- we are all trying to make a living- and a lot do no offer benifits- and/or 40 IK's or bonus- they get rich- while we "sacrafice" our lives for them!! FINE IF ONE DOES NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE- BUT, IF YOU DO!!
ASK FOR MORE!! (OR YOU WILL BE USED) TO MAKE A DENTIST- RICH- WHO CAN CARE LESS ABOUT YOU- HE CAN FIRE YOU-AS SOON- AS HIRE YOU- MEANWHILE, YOU "WASTED" YOUR YOUTH-
MAKING HIM A MILLIONARE- IT'S YOUR CAREER- GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT!! 'CAUSE THE DENTIST IS!!

GOOD LUCK!

Wow, sounds like you have worked for the worst of the worst. However, there are wonderful dentists out there that are great to work for and pay extremly well for our work. They are just few and harder to find and are selective on who they employ. Keep looking for the best of the best!

hi lily- in Sacramento, California

73 months ago

NO, actually, that is not the case- I see it all the time- I've been in the dental field for over 25 yrs.a R.D.A.- and dentists- pay you- but if you don't "set-up" your "future"- you will be broke and live pay check to paycheck- most don't offer- 40 ik- plans- retirement- medical insurance- they want your husbands to "foot the bill"- trust me- I have talked to thousands of R.D.A's- and their time is short lived- dentists don't care- they will re-place you. and meanwhile- your life has passed you by making a dentist rich!! that is why I do dental hygiene now- at least I make more then min wage now!! and dentists are "forced" to pay more! instead of bottom of the barrel- they pay hygienst 400-500 per day- vs. a dental asst. less then one filling. per day!!

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia said: Wow, sounds like you have worked for the worst of the worst. However, there are wonderful dentists out there that are great to work for and pay extremly well for our work. They are just few and harder to find and are selective on who they employ. Keep looking for the best of the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

and the sad part is- without "dental assistants"- dentist would not become "rich"!!
we are their "right arms"!! so, if I were you- get into dental hygine- or become a E.F- so, at least you make more money!!

hi lily- in Sacramento, California said: NO, actually, that is not the case- I see it all the time- I've been in the dental field for over 25 yrs.a R.D.A.- and dentists- pay you- but if you don't "set-up" your "future"- you will be broke and live pay check to paycheck- most don't offer- 40 ik- plans- retirement- medical insurance- they want your husbands to "foot the bill"- trust me- I have talked to thousands of R.D.A's- and their time is short lived- dentists don't care- they will re-place you. and meanwhile- your life has passed you by making a dentist rich!! that is why I do dental hygiene now- at least I make more then min wage now!! and dentists are "forced" to pay more! instead of bottom of the barrel- they pay hygienst 400-500 per day- vs. a dental asst. less then one filling. per day!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

That is the highest hygienist pay I have ever heard of. I have been an assistant for 10 years (17 yrs. dental assisting and 13 yrs. as an DA instructor). I will not complain about my salary as I am satisfied. I do agree and recommend to all DA's to sell yourself and negotiate your salary. As for "the future", unless your dentist has a longterm plan with 401k, then you have to set up your own plan. I took early retirement 5 years ago and I am very content. I did get bored went back into the field. I am working part-time again for a local dentist as well as teaching again part-time at a technical college for dental assisting.

73 months ago

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia said: That is the highest hygienist pay I have ever heard of. I have been an assistant for 10 years (17 yrs. dental assisting and 13 yrs. as an DA instructor). I will not complain about my salary as I am satisfied. I do agree and recommend to all DA's to sell yourself and negotiate your salary. As for "the future", unless your dentist has a longterm plan with 401k, then you have to set up your own plan. I took early retirement 5 years ago and I am very content. I did get bored went back into the field. I am working part-time again for a local dentist as well as teaching again part-time at a technical college for dental assisting.

Correction: I have been an assistant for 30 Years total.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Well, that is the pay in CALIFORNIA.
HYGIENTS GET PAID 400-500 PER DAY-
R.D.A'S- DEPENDING WHERE YOU WORK- CAN BE FROM 10.00 PER HOUR TO 30.00 PER HOUR- BUT THE LATTER- IS VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN- USUALLY, THEY WANT TO START A R.D. A OFF AT 14-15- AS LOW PAY- 18-20- SHOULD BE LOW- AND 25+ HIGHER.....

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia said: Correction: I have been an assistant for 30 Years total.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in Santa Ana, California

73 months ago

I went to ROP and it was fine. It is that most doctors don't want to pay period!!! They want all the money for themselves and want us to do all the work.

Lynne in Rancho Cordova, California

73 months ago

No kidding!! Dentists are Cheap!! They want "CHEAP" LABOR!!
while they live in their Mansions! and we waste our lives SLAVING! for them!!

go to hygiene school- that is good pay!!

private dentists- a lot do not offer- benifits- but western dental, and other corps do-
Private Dentists- are Cheap!! BUT, IT'S OUR FAULTS FOR TAKING LOW PAY-
IF ALL DENTAL ASSISTANTS IN THE WORLD- SAID "NO" WE WANT "TOP" PAY- THEY WOULD NOT HAVE A CHOICE!! IT'S THE GIRLS THAT TAKE "LOW" PAY- is what "Spoils" it for EVERYONE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tink in Modesto, California

72 months ago

hi lily- in Sacramento, California said: NO, actually, that is not the case- I see it all the time- I've been in the dental field for over 25 yrs.a R.D.A.- and dentists- pay you- but if you don't "set-up" your "future"- you will be broke and live pay check to paycheck- most don't offer- 40 ik- plans- retirement- medical insurance- they want your husbands to "foot the bill"- trust me- I have talked to thousands of R.D.A's- and their time is short lived- dentists don't care- they will re-place you. and meanwhile- your life has passed you by making a dentist rich!! that is why I do dental hygiene now- at least I make more then min wage now!! and dentists are "forced" to pay more! instead of bottom of the barrel- they pay hygienst 400-500 per day- vs. a dental asst. less then one filling. per day!!

Hi Lilly-in Sac!!

I am extraordinarily interested in going to school for the dental hygienists program!! I have been trying to find someone who's brain I can pcik, sadly to no avail. I don't know if it would behoove me to do a dental assisting program first, or if I should just put my all into the hygienist program. I haven't a clue where to go for answers. I have tried contacting local dentists and even emailed some schools, but so far no one has responded. There are so many questions I have...may I pick ur brain?

Konni in Mission Viejo, California

72 months ago

Hi everyone that has commented on this subject. Maybe I can be of some help here. I own a Dental Assistant School in South Orange County...(www.ocdentalacademy.com) It is a short term program 10 Sat. in a row, from 8am - 5pm. The tuition is only $2,900 for the program. The class is in a dental office so there is hands on experience. By the time you graduate you feel comfortable and confident to start work in the dental office. My graduates are getting between $13.00 - $15.00 per hour to start. The average being $15.00. I think the pay here in OC is high compared, but I want to train them to be in "exceptional" offices where they are appreciated for thier skills. Most of the comments seem like you are unappreciated for the work you do. I know, I have worked for some people like that. Do't get discouraged, there are so many great dentist out there that see the value of a DA. I wish you were in my area so I could help pace you in one of those offices. I will keep my eyes open.

Regarding a student that has a career path of becoming a Dentist or Dental Hygeniest.
I have about 50% of students that take my course that are following that path. They say, the training is invaluable. It looks good on their application (it is so competitive) The experience in the field while they are taking their pre requisites helps them so much.

I would love to help any of you with any situation aor question you have about this field. Don'thesitate to ask.

Konni

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Herald, California

72 months ago

Don't be fooled~ of course she is going to say- good things about it- she is getting "rich"- off of "poor" people- usually, people who become a Dental Asst. are un-educated- and people like her- feed of "poor" people- SO NOW YOUR IN DEPT- AND WILL NOT START AT THAT WAGE.

TRUST ME- IT'S MIN- WAGE TO 9:00- WHAT A SHAME- DENTIST ARE- MOST BECOME MILLIONARIES- IF YOU GO TO DENTAL HYGINE- YOU WILL MAKE MONEY- BUT, BREAK YOUR BACK,NECK- GET CARPAL TUNNEL- IT'S HARD, HARD WORK- BUT, AT LEAST- YOU GET PAID-
ASSISTANTS- WILL ALWAYS BE THE BOTTOM OF THE TOTAM POLE-

SHE IS ADVERTISING- HER BUSINESS- NO WONDER SHE CARES!! LOL!

TRUST ME- IT'S ALL ABOUT "MONEY!" GOOD LUCK GIRLS!!

DEMAND MORE PAY- AND TELL ALL DENTAL ASSTS! TO DEMAND MORE PAY!!
WE ARE WORTH MORE!!

Konni in Mission Viejo, California

72 months ago

Diane in Herald, California said: Don't be fooled~ of course she is going to say- good things about it- she is getting "rich"- off of "poor" people- usually, people who become a Dental Asst. are un-educated- and people like her- feed of "poor" people- SO NOW YOUR IN DEPT- AND WILL NOT START AT THAT WAGE.

TRUST ME- IT'S MIN- WAGE TO 9:00- WHAT A SHAME- DENTIST ARE- MOST BECOME MILLIONARIES- IF YOU GO TO DENTAL HYGINE- YOU WILL MAKE MONEY- BUT, BREAK YOUR BACK,NECK- GET CARPAL TUNNEL- IT'S HARD, HARD WORK- BUT, AT LEAST- YOU GET PAID-
ASSISTANTS- WILL ALWAYS BE THE BOTTOM OF THE TOTAM POLE-

SHE IS ADVERTISING- HER BUSINESS- NO WONDER SHE CARES!! LOL!

TRUST ME- IT'S ALL ABOUT "MONEY!" GOOD LUCK GIRLS!!

DEMAND MORE PAY- AND TELL ALL DENTAL ASSTS! TO DEMAND MORE PAY!!
WE ARE WORTH MORE!!

Wow, you must have had a bad experience. I am certainly not trying to advertise my business to people too far away to go to it. That wouldn't be too smart of me. I am just telling you because there are reasonable programs out ther including ROP in your area. Dentists do want people with at least an entry level experience, but most of all they want the right kind of person to fit in their office. Someone to be a team player. DA's do have a hard job, however there is a lot of oppertunity to further yourself and become a Dental Hyg, or even a Dentist. Doesn't sound like you like your job too much and are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked. Maybe it is time to work for someone else that can see the value in you. Or .....just change careers altogether.

linda in Herald, California

72 months ago

I think the lady is right. YOU have your own business. Of course she's going to say "good" things~ LOL~! sure, dental assiting- is. o.k. but, unless you have a 401k- YOU have no future.
dental hygiene and yes, a dentist- of course- you would be rich- if you were a dentist-
but, a DENTAL ASST. makes PEANUTS- UNLESS YOU DEMAND MORE PAY!

and make sure you have a 401k- so, YOU don't waste your life away- slaving- to make a dentist rich! when he retires- he's set- and your just an old lady with a broken back-

I know my neighbor- she was a R.D.A. for 25 yrs. and has nothing to show for it.
her dentist- never offered 401k or medical- she said- they expect- you to have benifits through your husband- so the dentist- does not have to pay- from his pocket.

Good luck ladies!
there are a lot of schools out there- check their "ratings" call the BBB and check their PlACEMENT- after finishing school- and check their credientails- and reputation-
some don't teach you anything- and your just in debt- and on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roxy in El Cajon, California

53 months ago

does rop in santee or east county even offer the dental assistant program?? ive been told no by many people, and can't seem to get anywhere online... kaplan wants $16,000 for their program! omg thats half of your 1st years income?!?!?!?!
if anyone could help i'd really really appreciate it!

Konni in Ladera Ranch, California

53 months ago

Hi
I am not sure where Santt or East County is, however I have a short term dental assisting program that is in South Orange County called OC Dental Academy. Our next class starts at the end of March. If you are interested, you can find out more about us at the website: ocdentalacademy.com. I will be able to help you understand what your options are to getting the education you need. You have a few ways to go depending on the amount of money you want to spend and what your future goals are. I am happy to guide you in your decisions. Sincerely, Konni@ocdentalacademy.com

Dental Dive in Lakewood, California

51 months ago

Be very aware of these short term dental class. I know from experience. Very little hands on experience because you are not working or practicing on any real people. They skip many important things. Make sure the insructor is a current RDA or a dentist is even better.

Konni in Ladera Ranch, California

51 months ago

I am sure it depends on what short term class you go to. I believe the program is best developed by an RDA not a dentist. Dentist do not have the experience on how to do the job of an assistant. However, I have found it is very valuable to have the dentists' input into the program and what important qualities they want from their assistants. In a good program it is also very valuable to have the students work on each other to get the practice with the real people like the person from Lakewood, CA said. I think it also valuable to have input from pervious students evaluate the program after they get their job so the program can have the advantage of gettting better and serving the public at a higher level. I would love to hear what important things were skipped. That would be extremely valuable information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

4mycareer in Rancho Santa margarita, California

36 months ago

Konni in Ladera Ranch, California said: I am sure it depends on what short term class you go to. I believe the program is best developed by an RDA not a dentist. Dentist do not have the experience on how to do the job of an assistant. However, I have found it is very valuable to have the dentists' input into the program and what important qualities they want from their assistants. In a good program it is also very valuable to have the students work on each other to get the practice with the real people like the person from Lakewood, CA said. I think it also valuable to have input from pervious students evaluate the program after they get their job so the program can have the advantage of gettting better and serving the public at a higher level. I would love to hear what important things were skipped. That would be extremely valuable information.

Do you guys give licenses for X-ray and coral polishing if not give offer thx

4mycareer in Rancho Santa margarita, California

36 months ago

4mycareer in Rancho Santa margarita, California said: Do you guys give licenses for X-ray and coral polishing if not give offer thx

I mean offer to get them thx

michelle in New Lenox, Illinois

35 months ago

I would like to comment on all the dental assisting schools out there which are not accredited by the ADA. There are only 4-5 schools in each state which are accredited and usually cheaper than the Kaplan type schools. I do not think all dental assisting schools are equal. If you attend a school that is not accredited you are not eligible to take the CDA liscencing exam or the radiology exam. Many employers want DA's who graduated from an accredited school. I agree with the earlier posts, we should not be taking low paying assisting jobs. We should not work for less than 15-18 dollars an hour.

diana in San Francisco, California

31 months ago

Fawn DA in Modesto, California said: hi. i dont know if this will help any, but I went to a Dental Assisting Institute in Modesto, Ca and i know that is far from you, but there are institutes out there. and the tuition was almost 4,000 dollars, but I got approved from sallie mae for a student loan, and i make payments every month for only 85 bucks. pretty good huh? and you dont have to pay it off before you graduate! so i would reccommend going to a dental assisting institute and looking into monhtly payments. hope this helped!!

Hi! i read your comment above and i was wondering what school in Modesto, ca did you attend? im looking to go back to school for dental assisting and I came across Kaplan college which is 17k..

Konni Forster in Laguna Niguel, California

31 months ago

Hi!
To answer your question, “does it really matter where you go to school for your RDA?"
Well, no it doesn't. In fact, you technically don't have to go to school to become an RDA.

You can qualify to take the test a couple of ways.
1. Go to a long term (9mo) RDA Program like Kaplan @ 17,000
2. Have 15 months of work experience.

If you do it the second way, you will have to take some refresher classes to prepare for the written and the practical.

You will also have to obtain a few certificates to attach to your application.
1. California Dental Practice Act
2. California Radiation Certificate
3. Coronal Polishing License
4. An 8 Hour Infection Control Class
5. CPR Certificate-American Red Cross or American Heart Association 6. A life Scan (fingerprinting)

The cost for these individual classes is from $25 - $400.

You can take the classes throughout the year while gaining experience and when you do finally pass your tests, then you will be more valuable than the person that has been in class all year because of your experience.

Now, if you have no dental knowledge, then you may have a hard time finding a dentist that will train you. In that case, you may choose to take a short term program like OC Dental Academy has. We are in Orange County; however, there are some short term programs in your area. They should cost you anywhere from $2,000 - $2,500. I hope this has been helpful. All of this information has been taken from The California Dental Board's website. Good Luck! You are entering a great field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

shesharpshoots@roadrunner.com in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

I am considering a position with Western Dental Services and would love to hear from anyone who has or does work for them. I just want to know if the Company is worth the time. What is their representation in the industry? Do they start everyone out on low end wages? Does advancment come quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ilovecottoncandy in Tracy, California

6 months ago

Fawn DA in Modesto, California said: hi. i dont know if this will help any, but I went to a Dental Assisting Institute in Modesto, Ca and i know that is far from you, but there are institutes out there. and the tuition was almost 4,000 dollars, but I got approved from sallie mae for a student loan, and i make payments every month for only 85 bucks. pretty good huh? and you dont have to pay it off before you graduate! so i would reccommend going to a dental assisting institute and looking into monhtly payments. hope this helped!!

Did u past you RDA exam? Are these RDA approved ed programs? Is there internships of any sort? I ask because I am looking into it.

Lora in San Diego, California

6 months ago

If I considered to be a dental assistant in CA, I would never go to school other than a community college. No prerequisites, no waiting lists, affordable prices, they fully prepare you for the RDA exams, the programs are 2 semesters only. All students in my program were working while studying.

Dental Assistant Training Site in California

5 months ago

diana in San Francisco, California said: Hi! i read your comment above and i was wondering what school in Modesto, ca did you attend? im looking to go back to school for dental assisting and I came across Kaplan college which is 17k..

Diana $17,000 is a very very high price to pay for dental assistant training. Make sure your dental assisting course is CODA accredited by the ADA. You can find CODA accredited schools in every state here: dentalassistanttrainingsite.com/dental-assistant-schools-by-state/ They are almost always at local community colleges and the tuition is very affordable for in-state or in-district residents. If you go to a school within your state the tuition shouldn't be more than $5,000 - $6,000, with the exception of Hawaii and Alaska.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.